Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

In 1987, game designer Richard Launius submitted a board game design to Chaosium, the publishers of the Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying Game. After a bit of polishing and editing, the final product was released under the title Arkham Horror. A co-operative board game set in the town of Arkham, the aim of the game was to seal up the otherworldly gates spawned by horrors beyond time and space. Fail to seal them all up in time, and Arkham would be overrun by an army of monsters.

While relatively popular, the game never saw a reprint, and eventually faded into obscurity.

In 2005, Fantasy Flight Games acquired the license and set about revising the game for a second edition. Probably the most well-known version of Arkham Horror, the sprawling behemoth of a game soon became renowned for its confusing and often contradictory morass of rules and exceptions, particularly as expansion after expansion piled on an ever-increasing amount of complexity.

In 2011, Fantasy Flight Games decided to expand their repetoire, publishing game after game set in what was now titled the 'Arkham Files' universe. Among the titles published were:

- Mansions of Madness, a game which pitted a team of investigators against a 'keeper' responsible for setting up and trapping the titular haunted mansion

- Elder Sign, a stripped-down Yahtzee-esque game based around rolling specific dice combinations to seal up otherworldly gates

- Eldritch Horror, a game fairly similar to Arkham Horror, but scaled up into a globe-trotting adventure, with the entire world as a playing field

And that finally brings us to the topic of this thread:

So what is this game about?

As with its predecessors, this is a co-op game for 1-4 players. Investigators pick a scenario and work towards solving a central mystery (abstracted here into the accumulation of clue tokens, no actual deductive reasoning necessary) before the doom clock runs out.

Each scenario can be played standalone, but the game is generally played in campaign mode. Scenarios are released in 'cycles', with a full cycle consisting of about 8 scenarios strung together. Investigators begin with the first scenario and play along, gaining experience and leveling up their decks as they go along.

The key difference between this game and other Arkham Files game is that it is, of course, a card game. Each investigator is defined by a 30-ish card deck, and players are largely free to customize it as they wish as long as they observe the deckbuilding rules for the chosen investigator. As investigators gain experience, they can earn more powerful cards for their deck, and new player cards are introduced with every scenario to keep deckbuilding fresh.

I meant story-wise, not mechanically.

The Arkham Files universe definitely leans way more towards the 'pulpy' side of the Cthulhu Mythos than the 'horror' side. Gun-toting nuns do battle with snake-men, polyphemous tentacled horrors are always five minutes from breaking into reality, and you can't swing a cat without hitting a deranged cultist. Nevertheless, it is a horror game, and there'll be plenty of spooks along the way.

As far as the campaigns go, they tend to follow the standard Call of Cthulhu/Arkham Horror setup: some ancient eldritch evil is about to break into the world, and it's up to a motley crew of concerned individuals to look into the matter and (hopefully) take care of it.

How is this LP going to work?

This is going to be a narrative LP, so anyone not into that sort of thing should turn back now. As far as the game goes, I'll be playing via the Arkham Horror Super Complete Edition mod on Tabletop Simulator, running 2 investigators at a time through the campaigns in release order. Readers of the thread will get to vote on which investigators I run and on important campaign decisions, though if I run into one mid-scenario that I don't feel is worth voting on, I'll just play it by ear.

What difficulty will you be playing on? Taboo or no Taboo?

The 'Taboo' list is a list of optional erratas and updates to nerf the stronger cards and encourage more variety in deckbuilding, usually by adding more costs to their effects or raising their XP cost. I'll be skipping out on it to start off, but we'll see how it goes as the LP continues. Regardless, I'll try to avoid over-reliance on the same few cards with every investigator.

As for difficulty, I'll be playing on Standard, and we'll see what that affects in the upcoming update.

How often will this be updated?

I'll try to keep this regularly updated, though with how busy the upcoming year is starting to look, I doubt I can promise anything better than 'whenever I have the time and energy to spare'.

When will this LP be done?

Thanks to the episodic nature of released content, actually catching up to published material will be nigh-impossible. Right now the game is in the middle of "The Dream Eaters", its fifth scenario cycle, and I'd like to show off that one in its entirety if the LP makes it that far. As for any further content beyond that, we'll see.

Hey, you messed up a rule!

While not quite the tangled pile of legalese that was Arkham Horror 2E, this game is still pretty rule-heavy, and there's often interactions that can be easily overlooked or misinterpreted. If you spot me making a mistake while playing, please gently point it out and I'll be happy to issue a correction in the next update. If it's a particularly gamebreaking one I might replay an entire scenario, but hopefully it shouldn't come to that.

With all that aside, let's begin!

Update: New rule - No Spoilers! The thread will be voting on important campaign decisions from now on, and some of those won't be paying off till way down the line, so it's more fun for everyone if those outcomes are kept secret until the appropriate moment.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Table of Contents

1 - Night of the Zealot: Scenario 1 - The Gathering

2 - Side update #1 - Night of the Zealot Deckbuilding

3 - Night of the Zealot: Scenario 2 - The Midnight Masks

4 - Side update #2 - Introduction to Core Set Investigators

5 - Night of the Zealot: Scenario 3 - The Devourer Below

6 - Side update #3 - Alternate NOTZ endings and Dunwich Investigators

7 - The Dunwich Legacy: Scenario 1 - The House Always Wins

8 - Side update #4 - The Dunwich Legacy Deckbuilding

9 - The Dunwich Legacy: Scenario 2 - Extracurricular Activity

10- The Dunwich Legacy: Scenario 3 - The Miskatonic Museum

11 - The Dunwich Legacy: Scenario 4 - The Essex County Express

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 15, 2020

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

We’ll start off our journey with Night of the Zealot, a three-scenario mini-campaign included in the Core Set. A fairly simple campaign designed to teach new players the basics, though it’s a little outdated in its design sensibilities by now.

The Gathering is our first scenario, and there’s not a lot to be said about it – it’s there to teach players the very basics of the game. As a result, this update will be a little more infodump-heavy than the next few, though to ease up on that most mechanics will be explained only when they become relevant.

It began on Friday, September 18, 1925.

The end of a long and abnormally hot summer. A silent, unspoken anger grips the town. Tempers are short, and -

Look, just get to the point. Why are you IN MY HOUSE?

Oh, I was getting to that. During my investigation, I sensed an intense magical disturbance centered on this very spot.

Then the door disappeared, and I've been stuck since then.

The what disappeared?

But...but I just walked through that-

Yes, it's quite a remarkable spell. I'd love to study it more, but I don't think we have the time. If it couldn't keep you out, it won't keep them out either.

One round consists of four phases: the Mythos (encounter) phase (skipped on round 1), the investigation phase, the enemy phase, and the upkeep phase.

During the Investigation phase, each investigator has three actions. Actions can be spent to:

- Move to a connection location, though there are none in play at the moment.

- Play an Asset or Event card from our hand (after paying its resource cost).

- Draw a card, or gain a resource.

- Activate any abilities on assets in play that cost an action

- Investigate (more on this later)

- Interact with an enemy (more on that when one shows up)

Investigators can take their turn in any order they wish, but once they begin a turn they must end it before the next investigator can act.

quote:

Round 1

Investigation Phase – Daisy’s Turn

Daisy plays Dr. Milan Christopher.

Wait, what were you doing in the closet?

There was a remarkably fascinating specimen of-

We'll save the introductions for later.

Some key points about Milan:

- He's an Ally asset: he takes up our single Ally slot. If we play another Ally, it'll bump him out of the Ally slot and into the discard pile.

- He has 1 health and 2 sanity. Taking 1 damage and/or two horror sends him off to the discard pile.

- He gives us a passive +1 Intellect boost.

- His Reaction ability automatically triggers whenever we successfully investigate. We'll see why this is so useful later.

quote:

Daisy successfully investigates, gaining one clue and one resource from Dr. Milan.

As you saw earlier, the Study has a Shroud Value of 2 and spawns with 2 x [No. of investigators] clues. To Investigate, we test our Intellect against the Shroud Value of the location, and if we succeed, we take one clue from the location.

To make a skill test, we draw a token from the Chaos Bag (this game's equivalent of rolling a die). The chaos bag's contents vary with scenario and difficulty, and can be modified based on the decisions you make in a campaign. Currently, it contains:

As you can see, the chaos bag tilts way more towards failure than success: if you want a reasonable shot at passing a test, you need to be swinging way above the passing grade. The numerical modifiers are fairly straightforward, while the Skull, Cultist and Tablet have varying modifiers based on scenario and difficulty. Currently:

Finally, the red Tentacle token is an automatic failure, while the blue Elder Sign is an investigator-dependent (but usually fairly positive) result.

The contents of the Chaos Bag is the main difference between the difficulty modes – the higher the difficulty, the more prevalent the negative tokens in the bag, and the special tokens gain even worse modifiers on Hard and Expert mode.

Investigators have four stats: Willpower, Intellect, Combat and Agility. Thanks to Daisy's massive Intellect stat, plus the boost from Milan, we don't really have much cause for worry right now - tentacle aside, every other token allows us to beat or tie with the Shroud of 2, nabbing us a clue and a resource from Milan's triggered ability.

quote:

Daisy successfully investigates, gaining one clue and one resource.

Daisy ends her turn.

By the way, I found this in the closet.

Thanks!

Give that back!

You can see why getting Milan in play early is helpful. With no limits on his triggered ability, we can get very, very rich by constantly investigating. Since then, later allies (and eventually Milan himself, with the Taboo list) have required Exhausting for similar effects, effectively limiting their reactions to once a turn.

quote:

Investigation Phase – Roland’s Turn

Roland plays a .45 Automatic.

I don't know what's going on, but I'll be damned if I'm going down without a fight.

The .45 Automatic takes up one Hand slot. As mentioned earlier, there's only space for so many items in play. Each investigator has:

- 2 Hand slots
- 2 Arcane slots
- 1 Ally slot
- 1 Body slot
- 1 Accessory slot
- 1 Tarot slot

If a slot is full, playing another item over it will bump the existing item out and into the discard pile. Some assets may take up multiple slots, while others may take up no slots at all.

quote:

Roland investigates. Daisy commits Deduction.
Success! Roland picks up two clues.

Investigating is going to be a bit of an issue with Roland. 3 Intellect isn't terrible, but it's also not great if we're going up against a Shroud of 2.

One way of boosting your skill before using a skill test is by Committing cards - discarding cards in your hand with icons that match the skill tested. The investigator making the test can commit as many cards as they want, while other investigators at the same location can only commit one per test.

Deduction is a Skill card - it can't be played, only committed, but rewards us with another clue if we commit it on an Investigation. With the help of Deduction, Roland ties with the Shroud value, passing the test and emptying the location of clues.

quote:

Roland gains 1 resource and ends his turn.

Enemy phase: No enemies in play. Skipped.

Upkeep phase: All cards unexhaust. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 2

Mythos phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom track: 1/3

We can’t keep them out of here for much longer. We’d better keep moving.

The Act and Agenda decks track our progress through the scenario. The Act represents Investigator progress and is usually advanced through expenditure of clues, while the Agenda deck represents progress by the forces of the Mythos, and advances once enough doom has been accumulated. Unless otherwise stated, we can progress the Act deck anytime we fulfil the requirements.

quote:

Roland draws Rotting Remains from the encounter deck.

Is…is that a dead body? How did that get in here?

Whenever an investigator takes Damage or Horror, they can choose to distribute it amongst assets they control with their own inbuilt health/sanity scores. This is the only way to mitigate damage (barring certain card effects), and an investigator that can’t/doesn’t want to do so must take that damage/horror themselves.

When an investigator accumulates damage or horror equal to their health/sanity, they are Defeated and out of the scenario. In campaign mode, this doesn’t permanently kill them (unless the scenario specifies otherwise). If the rest of the team can make it to the next scenario, they return with 1 physical/mental Trauma corresponding to how they were defeated, and start the next scenario with damage/horror equal to their Trauma already in play. If they accumulate enough Trauma, then they’re for-real dead and a new investigator must be chosen.

As you saw earlier, Roland only has 5 Sanity, so we really don’t want him racking up too much horror. Fortunately, he’s got a card in hand that gives him a decent shot at passing this test.

quote:

Roland commits Guts and tests Willpower (3).
Success! Roland draws a card from Guts’ effect.

Daisy draws Frozen in Fear from the encounter deck.

Hey, look what I found over there.

Wha- get that thing away from me!

quote:

The investigators spend a collective 4 clues and advance the act.

What the hell?

Oh dear. This is going to be a tougher nut to crack.

Now that we're not trapped in a single room, it's time to talk location. Location connections are denoted by the connection dots at the corner/bottom, though additional connection markers have been added to make them a little clearer. Locations start on their unrevealed side until an investigator moves into them, at which point they flip to their revealed side and spawn clues (if any).

quote:

Daisy plays Old Book of Lore.

Daisy searches her deck with Old Book of Lore and draws Guts.

Maybe there’s something in here that’ll help…

Daisy's ability gives her a fourth action each turn, that can only be spent to activate a Tome. The Guts will come in handy to pass that Frozen in Fear check later.

quote:

Daisy commits Eureka! and investigates.
Success! Daisy gains one resource from Milan's ability, draws 1 card from the Elder Sign's ability, and searches the top 3 cards of her deck.

Let me try something. K’nvyan ygauwlethi G’hraat!

Did it work?

No, but at least now we know for sure it doesn’t!

Just because there's no clues here doesn't mean that we can't investigate. As you can see from that chain reaction, even though we didn't find any clues, investigating can still prove very profitable. And the chain reaction's not even done yet!

One of the more interesting recent releases, Astounding Revelation does nothing besides provide one Intellect icon for committing if we draw it - but if we stumble across it in a search, we either gain 2 resources or add one Secret charge to an asset. Since we have no Secret-using assets right now, we'll take the resources.

quote:

Daisy searches her deck, discards Astounding Revelations for 2 resources, and draws Magnifying Glass.

Daisy plays Shrivelling.

Daisy commits Guts and tests Willpower (3).
Success! Daisy discards Frozen in Fear and draws a card from Guts' effect.
Daisy ends her turn.

Roland moves to the Attic.

MY ATTIC!

Note that unless a card specifies that it deals 'direct' damage, any damage or horror taken from any effect can be placed on an ally/asset we control. Unfortunately, we don't have any of those right now, so Roland is just going to have to take this one on the chin.

quote:

Roland investigates twice, committing Deduction once.
Success! Roland picks up three clues.
Roland ends his turn.

Upkeep phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda deck. Doom Track: 2/3

Roland draws Grasping Hands.
Roland tests Agility (3).
Success! Roland takes no damage.

Got to be quicker than that!

We got lucky there – Roland drew the Elder sign, giving him just enough of a bonus to pass. Still, Roland’s tanky enough that even an abject failure wouldn’t have bothered him too much.

quote:

Daisy draws Dissonant Voices.

Where is all that SCREAMING coming from?

quote:

Daisy moves to the Cellar, taking 1 damage from the Cellar's effect.

T-this shouldn't be possible. It's not the barrier. It's something else...

We could deflect this one onto Milan, but that would put him out of commission and we want to keep him around for a little while longer, so we'll take this one on the chin again.

quote:

Daisy investigates twice, succeeding once and failing once for a total of one clue.

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Mind over Matter.
Daisy ends her turn.

Investigation Phase – Roland’s Turn.

Roland investigates twice, succeeding at both for 2 clues, moves to the Hallway and ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: No enemies. Skipped.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Daisy and Roland draw a card and gain a resource.

Daisy discards Dissonant Voices.

Round 3

Mythos Phase:1 doom added. Doom Track: 3/3

Doom threshold of Agenda 1A met. Agenda advances.
All doom removed.

What the hell are these things?

The Necronomicon calls them 'ghouls'. Normally, they're content to scavenge rotting flesh. They shouldn't be attacking people like this, unless something's stirred them up.

Well, I'll give them something to be stirred up about!

When the Agenda advances, all doom in play is cleared away. We really don't want Roland to be eating that 2 Horror with his fragile 4 sanity, so we'll randomly discard cards instead.

quote:

Daisy and Roland each discard a random card.

Roland draws Crypt Chill from the Encounter Deck.

W-where’s that wind coming from?

quote:

Roland commits Dodge and tests Willpower (4).
Success! No assets discarded.

Daisy draws Swarm of Rats.
Swarm of Rats engages Daisy.

Aaaaah!

Calm down! I can deal with this!

With an enemy finally in play, it's time to talk about them.

When an investigator draws an enemy, it spawns in the same location as them (unless it has a set Spawn location). Whenever an investigator is in the same room as an unexhausted enemy, it immediately Engages them. An engaged enemy is placed in an investigator's Threat area (a sort of nebulous free-floating area around the investigator, physically located wherever the investigator in question is).

An investigator can spend an action to:

- Engage the enemy (only possible on an enemy not already engaged with you), pulling it away from another investigator.

- Fight the enemy, testing your Combat against the enemy's Fight value (the number on the left). If successful, this deals one damage to the enemy (its' health is the number in the centre). Relying on your bare hands is a last resort, though, and most investigators use Weapon assets to fight, which provide additional Combat bonuses and often grant an additional damage bonus. Investigators can Fight an enemy not currently engaged with them, but if they fail the Fight skill test, they deal that attack's damage to the engaged Investigator instead.

- Evade the enemy, testing your Agility against the enemy's Evade value (the number on the right). If successful, the investigator disengages from the enemy, and the enemy exhausts. Outside of special cases, investigators can only Evade enemies engaged with them.

On the enemy phase, an unexhausted enemy Attacks, dealing its printed damage and horror to the engaged investigator (1 damage, in the case of this Swarm of Rats). As with any other damage/horror source, this can be distributed amongst any assets in play. Then, any ready Hunter enemies not currently engaged with an investigator moves one step towards the nearest one.

Finally, if an engaged investigator attempts any other action than Fight or Evade, all engaged enemies gain an Attack of Opportunity, attacking the investigator. It's best to avoid these unless absolutely necessary.

Let's see if there was any truth to that old book of spells...

With 1 health and 1 Fight, this Swarm of Rats is not exactly a major threat and even Daisy stands a decent chance of just punching it to death, but we'll play it safe and use a spell. Spending one Shriveling charge allows Daisy to fight with her Willpower instead of her Combat and deals one extra point of damage, but we take a point of horror if we draw a special token during the test.

quote:

Daisy spends one Shrivelling charge and Fights Swarm of Rats.
Success! 2 damage dealt to Swarm of Rats. Swarm of Rats discarded.

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Manual Dexterity.

Daisy plays Magnifying Glass.

The Magnifying Glass is Fast, which means it doesn't cost an action to play (and thus, would not trigger Attacks of Opportunity if played while engaged with an enemy).

quote:

Daisy investigates twice, succeeding both times and picking up 2 clues and 2 resources, then ends her turn.

Roland plays Beat Cop.

Heya, Banks. Just dropped by to deliver some paperwork, and -

Why is my house so popular today?

The squiggly line on the Beat Cop’s ability means that it can be activated as a free action anytime, even outside our turn (though only at certain player windows when outside our turn). We want to keep him in play for his combat buff, though.

quote:

Roland draws a card, gains a resource and ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: No enemies in play. Skipped.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/7

Roland draws Swarm of Rats from the Encounter deck.
Swarm of Rats engages Roland.

Daisy draws Ancient Evils from the Encounter deck.
1 doom added to the Agenda.

Did you hear a bell tolling?

Probably your imagination.

Get these rats off me!

This card is a right pain in the rear end - it's not too bad right now with the longish Doom timer on this Agenda and just two investigators, but each Doom on the Agenda is essentially one round's worth of actions lost, which can be quite a lot when more investigators are in play. Note that regardless of how much doom is in play, the Agenda only advances at the check at the start of the Mythos Phase – unless a card like Ancient Evils provides a specific exception to that rule.

quote:

Daisy plays St. Hubert's Key.

I have no idea what this is, but something tells me it's better kept out of their hands.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Knowledge is Power.

Daisy successfully investigates, gaining 1 clue and 1 resource, moves to the Hallway and ends her turn.

Roland Fights the Swarm of Rats.
Success! Swarm of Rats defeated.

Roland draws two cards, one of which is Internal Injury. Internal Injury enters play.

Ugh, of all the times to flare up...

Ouch! Each deck has two weaknesses - one character-specific weakness, and one randomly chosen generic weakness. Weaknesses can range from outright crippling to mildly annoying, but by and large you would prefer not seeing them if possible. Note that because this weakness is in Roland's threat area (which is physically located wherever Roland himself happens to be), any investigator at his location can spend the two actions needed to discard it.

quote:

Roland ends his turn and takes 1 damage from Internal Injury.

Enemy Phase: No enemies. Skipped.

Upkeep phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

Investigators spend 6 clues and advance the Act.

Okay, I think I’ve located a weak point in the magical nexus. What about you?

…I found a bucket.

You know what, that’s actually pretty helpful right about now.

Thanks to the specific wording on Act 2a, we can only advance it by spending 6 clues from investigators in the Hallway at the end of a round.

Raaargh!

Don't expect me to help you with that creature! Not after what you did to my barrier!

Believe me, lady, we didn't ask for your help!

With the parlor open, any investigator located there can Resign, spending an action to retreat from the scenario with their skins intact (though possibly not their dignity). We can also negotiate with Lita, though Roland doesn't seem to be a big fan of that idea.

Killing the Ghoul Priest would also end the scenario, though that's easier said than done. The Priest has 10 health (5xNo. of Investigators), 4 Fight and 4 Evade, and the Retaliate keyword allows it to counterattack whenever a Fight check is failed. Still, 2 victory points is a very nice reward.

Finally, Prey: Highest Combat means it will engage the investigator with the highest combat in its location, and if there are none, will move towards said investigator during the enemy phase.

quote:

Ghoul Priest engages Roland.

Round 5

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track 3/7

Roland draws Ghoul Minion from the Encounter Deck.

Give up this futile fight! Umordhoth's will shall be done!

I’ve got this, Banks! You handle the big guy!

With pleasure!

quote:

Daisy draws Obscuring Fog from the Encounter deck.
Obscuring Fog attaches to the Hallway.

This would have been a pain if it showed up in the Cellar earlier, but now we can pretty much ignore it.

quote:

Roland spends three .45 Automatic ammo and Fights the Ghoul Priest thrice, dealing 7 damage.

Take that!

We’ve been stockpiling combat cards in Roland’s hand in preparation for this encounter, though it’s up to Daisy to finish the job.

quote:

Roland's turn ends. Roland takes 1 damage from Internal Injury.

Daisy commits Guts, spends 1 Shrivelling Charge and Fights the Ghoul Priest.
Success! Ghoul Priest takes 2 damage from Shrivelling and Daisy draws a card.

Roland commits Guts. Daisy commits Shortcut, spends 1 Shrivelling Charge and Fights the Ghoul Priest.
Success! Ghoul Priest takes 2 damage from Shrivelling. Ghoul Priest defeated.

Act 3 advances.

Looks like we have two options open to us, so I'll let the thread de-

Are you crazy? Bugger off!

Never mind, I guess Roland's made that decision for us. Let's take a look in the campaign guide at R2:

quote:

Resolution 2: You refuse to follow the overzealous woman's order and kick her out of your home for fear that she will set it ablaze without your permission. "Fools! You are making a grave mistake!" she warns. "You do not understand the threat that lurks below...the grave danger we are all in!" Still shaken by the night's events, you decide to hear the woman out. Perhaps she can shed some light on these bizarre events...but she doesn't seem to trust you very much.

- In your campaign log, record that 'Your House is still standing'

- The lead investigator earns 1 Experience, as he or she refuses to let the night's events destroy his or her life.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display (remember to add eligible locations to the victory display). Each investigator earns 2 bonus experience as he or she gains insight into the hidden world of the Mythos.

We earned 4 victory points (2 for completely emptying the Attic and Cellar of clues, and 2 for defeating the Ghoul Priest), so that's a total of 6 experience for Daisy and 7 experience for the lead investigator, Roland. That's going to come in handy as we head into...The Midnight Masks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So this is basically a CoC RPG campaign, but made into a co-op card game?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How much are you going to go into your deckbuilding process? I'd imagine you are going to talk about that in your next update as you spend the XP, but some clarity on why these cards are in your decks would be nice. Some more clarity on how and why cards are played would be nice too, and you didn't show hands or anything like that.

Otherwise, looks interesting and a long commitment considering how far this LCG is along. Good luck!

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
An overview of the content of your decks would be cool. I though you were using the official starter decks at first, until the new cards showed up.

Still, looking forward to this.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
This looks cool. I look forward to see where it goes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Cool thread idea.
Quality level of posting.
Nice flavour text included.

I hope you keep going with this OP as it looks mad fun.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Since most of the replies so far have been along the lines of 'can you show off the decks used', I'll forestall any further comments along that line with an early deckbuilding update.

Quick note: I make no claims to be especially good at deckbuilding. These are nowhere near the 'best' decks possible, and may in fact be downright terrible (though I personally hope I'm a little better than that). Still, we'll try our best to make do - after all, a constant theme of horror games is making do with What You've Got, which is often significantly less than What You'd Like To Have.

Roland is a Guardian, the class built around fighting monsters and tanking encounters. Once per turn, he can pick up a free clue whenever he kills a monster, allowing him to easily cover both clue-grabbing and monster-killing duties in a team.

His weak spot is his low sanity - 5 Sanity is not a lot, especially for an investigator that wants to be constantly hunting down mind-blasting monstrosities. It's a good idea to bring along cards that help to compensate for this.

Roland can run Guardian and Neutral cards of level 0-5, and Seeker cards of level 0-2. A card's level is indicated by how much XP it costs - since an investigator starts with no XP, all his cards will be level 0 cards at the start of the game. His deck size is 30 cards, no more or less (not counting his signature cards and random weakness).

Hand assets

- We've already seen the .45 Automatic last game. A fairly standard weapon, providing an unconditional +1 combat and +1 damage when used to fight, but with only 4 ammo it can run out quickly without a way to refill it.

- Machete: provides a similar boost to the .45 Automatic, but only deals extra damage if the attacked enemy is the only enemy engaged. Still, that's a reasonable trade-off for an unlimited-use weapon.

- Flashlight lowers the shroud value of a location when used to investigate. There's an important distinction between lowering a test's difficulty and boosting your stats - regardless of modifier, the lowest amount your skills can be lowered to is '0'. Thus, if used on a Shroud 2 location, any investigation would be automatically successful barring the autofail.

- Roland's .38 Special: A Cheaper .45 Automatic that powers up in clue-laden locations. Not a card I'm building around, but having it show up never hurts.

Allies

- The Beat Cop provides +1 combat, 2 health/2 sanity soak, and can be discarded in a pinch for a free point of damage - though given how expensive he is to get in play, it's best to save that for emergencies.

- Dr. William T. Maleson is our emergency option for dealing with Roland's signature weakness if it pops up (more on that later). He's cheap and provides a fairly useful effect when fishing for enemies, but we only have the one ally slot so we can't run him alongside the Beat Cop.

Events

- Emergency Cache: free money. Note that the net effect is only 2 resources - it costs an action to play, one which could just be used to grab a free resource. Still, Guardians tend to be a bit cash-starved, and more resources never hurts.

- Scene of the Crime: free clue, conditional second free clue. Not too difficult to leverage in most scenarios.

- Shortcut: Action-less move, that can also be used on another investigator at your location. As an action-less card, it will not trigger Attacks of Opportunity from engaged enemies, but since you don't disengage you'll just drag them over to the new location. Roland can use this to drag enemies to high-shroud locations, then beat them up for free clues.

- "Let me Handle This!": Mostly for drawing monsters away from Daisy, though the +2 to skills gives Roland a decent shot at clearing Treacheries nabbed as well.

- Dodge: Cancels an attack, can be used on other investigators. Very handy to keep Roland's sanity up.

- Logical Reasoning: Heals 2 horror, nuff said. Discarding an inopportune Frozen in Fear or Dissonant Voices could also come in handy, though.

Skills

- Guts and Overpower (along with their cousins, Perception and Manual Dexterity) can be found in just about any deck - +2 to a relevant test with a free card draw for succeeding is a very strong effect. Helps Roland pass those Horror-blasting treacheries and hit high-Fight monsters accurately.

- Deduction: We've seen how useful it is earlier. In higher player counts Roland might not be doing much (if any) investigating, but with just two investigators he's going to have to pull his weight on that front.

- Vicious Blow: This skill is a great time-saver against bosses or tougher enemies, taking off a little more of their health. Saves one whole action if used against a 3-health enemy.

Weaknesses

- Internal Injury: we saw this one last game. Annoying, but with Roland's high health, he can tank an Internal Injury hit or two until he has the actions to spare to discard it.

- Cover Up: This one, on the other hand, is very, very bad. 3 clues is a lot of tempo lost, and if pulled too late in the scenario, there might be no way to clear it whatsoever. Leaving it uncleared hits Roland right in his weak spot, giving him 1 mental trauma (which causes him to start the next scenario with 1 horror in play). Hopefully we just won't see this at all, but the next best scenario is having it show up early so we can blast away at a low-shroud location to get it cleared.

Overall, Roland's deck is built around the following priorities:

1 - Hunting and killing monsters - not just to keep the party safe, but also to trigger his reaction for extra clues.

2 - Shoring up his low sanity, via extra Will icons to commit to treacheries or just being able to heal off the horror.

3 - Investigating - we're mostly leaving that up to Daisy, but if there's enough downtime and no monsters around, having Roland pick up a bit of the slack would be helpful.

In all honesty, the deck could probably stand to lean a little more seeker-heavy, but I'm trying not too have too much overlap between his deck and Daisy's.

Daisy is a Seeker, the class based around Investigating and picking up clues. Once per turn, she gets a fourth action that can only be used to activate a Tome ability. This is still an action, though, and will trigger e.g. Attacks of Opportunity.

Her health/sanity is the inverse of Roland's, though it's less of a concern for her than it is for Roland, since she won't be actively seeking out monsters to hunt.

Her deckbuilding rules are similar to Roland's - Seeker/Neutral with a Mystic subclass. Early investigators tend to have fairly straightforward deckbuilding rules - later ones get much wackier.

Hand Assets

- Magnifying Glass: Fast, cheap, free Intellect boost when investigating.

- Old Book of Lore: A free search/card draw every turn, with unlimited uses. Combos well with Astounding Revelations, and another card we'll be picking up later.

Arcane Assets

Shrivelling: Sometimes avoiding combat just isn't possible, and with only 2 Agility Daisy doesn't have much of a chance at evading. 3 Will isn't a great baseline for Shrivelling, but it's better than trying to punch with her puny 2 Combat. Plus, succeeding with it gives us an extra point of damage, and the occasional Horror isn't too hard for her to tank with her 9 Sanity.

Accessory Assets

St. Hubert's Key: Pricey, but it gives two free stat boosts and a net 2 horror heal. That last part might be a bit difficult to see, but look at it this way: if you had 4 sanity and 2 horror, equipping this card would bring you to 0 Sanity left, immediately discarding it, returning to 4 Sanity and healing 2 horror.

Body assets

Backpack: More searches for Astounding Revelations, and a quick way to empty our deck of assets, giving us a higher chance of drawing useful events instead.

Ally assets

Milan: We've seen what he can do earlier. Our primary source of income if we can get him down early.

Other assets

Daisy's Tote Bag: Not especially important for us right now, given that Old Book of Lore is the only tome we're relying on, but can be useful if our signature weakness ever comes into play. Provides some useful icons for committing, at least, and doesn't take up a slot.

Events

Astounding Revelations: We've seen what these can do earlier. Our secondary source of income besides Milan. The 'Myriad' keyword, incidentally, allows us to put up to 3 copies of this card in our deck (as opposed to the usual limit of 2), and if we were to pick it up later in a campaign, purchasing all 3 copies would only cost 1 XP.

Shortcut: As with Roland, an action-less move to speed up our investigations.

Knowledge is Power: Saves a charge and/or action for Shrivelling and Old Book of Lore, and they don't even have to be in play! A fantastic event.

Mind over Matter: An emergency event for when we really need to pass a Combat/Agility test. Cheap and Fast, but having it show up when you need it can be a crapshoot.

Ward of Protection: Cancels a treachery card Daisy draws. The 1 Horror trade-off is usually worth it, particularly if the card cancelled was Ancient Evils. Can only be used on treacheries that Daisy herself draws, though, and only the Revelation effect.

Skills

Guts and Manual Dexterity: Discussed earlier. Manual Dexterity helps Daisy to pass Agility-based treacheries, which generally attack her health instead of her sanity.

Deduction and Eureka!: We saw what they did in the last game. Deduction accelerates clue pickup, while Eureka! gives her yet more searches for Astounding Revelations.

Weaknesses

Paranoia: Annoying, but if we've gotten Milan in play before this shows up, we can easily recover from it.

The Necronomicon: Also annoying, but not as crippling as Roland's signature weakness. There's no penalty for leaving this one in play at the end of the scenario, so we can just leave it in play and deal with the doubled autofail chance. Actually less of an issue on higher difficulties, where the inclusion of additional penalty tokens in the bag results in a lower chance of drawing the Elder Sign.

Overall, Daisy's deck is built around prioritizing the following:

1 - Setting up - leveraging Milan and Old Book of Lore to pull the pieces of her setup and put them into play as early as possible

2 - Investigating - since Roland is busy with monsters, it's mostly up to Daisy to hunt down those clues and advance the Act.

Upgrading

Roland

Removed: 2 Dr. William T. Maleson, 1 Dodge, 1 "Let Me Handle This!"

Added: 1 Police Badge, 1 Marksmanship, 2 Quick Study

Quick Study gives Roland a way to drop clues for Cover-Up, without taking an asset that competes with Beat Cop for a Slot.

Marksmanship saves quite a lot of actions: no need to move and/or engage, just attack and gain a bit of extra damage, to boot.

Police Badge, aside from being nicely thematic, shores up Roland's Willpower and gives us two actions in an emergency.

Daisy

Removed: 1 Magnifying Glass, 1 Eureka!

Added: 1 Encyclopedia, 1 Pathfinder, 1 Higher Education

Encyclopedia: A decent alternative to the Old Book of Lore, once we're fully set up. A +2 boost to any skill until the end of the phase that can be used on other investigators.

Pathfinder: A slotless asset that provides a free move per turn. Saves a lot of time if we can get it out quickly.

Higher Education: This one is a Permanent - it starts in play, meaning it's never actually part of our deck (and thus, doesn't count against our deck size). Higher Education allows us to pay to boost our Willpower or Intellect to any amount required, provided we have the resources to pay for it and 5 cards in our hand.

And with all our experience spent, we're about as ready for the next scenario as we'll ever be. Hopefully, that should help answer the questions about deckbuilding, as well as the question of 'why did you play X card in this scenario?' (the answer in most cases being: 'the situation I was saving it for came up while it was in my hand'). See you all next time in The Midnight Masks!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy I'm excited

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for the additional info about the decks. I would ask if you plan on switching characters, but that is a question I doubt will be answered at this time.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Since it appears people would prefer me going into more detail than less, I'll make a note of that in future updates. For now, it's time for The Midnight Masks.

So, there's a cult out there that worships these things?

Not directly, no. But they serve the same master.

They've been making a nuisance of themselves at the university recently. Stealing from the morgue, poking away at the rare books.

We think they're trying to conduct a grand ritual at midnight tonight. We've got a good idea of where it's going to be, but if we go in unprepared, there's no telling what we'll be up against.

There's still a few hours till midnight. Most of them shouldn't have left yet. If we can stop them before they're ready, we might buy ourselves some time.

No time like the present, then. Are you ready?

We skimmed over the opening moves in the last update. Investigators begin the game by taking 5 resources and drawing 5 cards, then deciding whether they want to mulligan or not. If they choose to mulligan, they set up to 5 cards aside (without shuffling them back in the deck) and draw until they have a 5-card hand, then shuffle the set-aside cards back in. Weaknesses drawn in the opening step are immediately set aside, and a replacement is drawn without counting against the mulligan total.

In Roland's case, we hung on to Shortcut from the initial draw, and set aside the rest of his opening hand in the hopes of drawing a weapon.

Roland doesn’t have a particularly asset-intensive setup - what he really wants to get in play as soon as possible are:

- A weapon (preferably Machete, but his special or the .45 will work in a pinch)
- Beat Cop

Anything after that is fairly situational – Roland usually doesn’t have the cash or actions to spend a lot of time on additional setup.

As ready as I'll ever be, I suppose.

In Daisy's case, we tossed aside three cards in search for a Tome. Note that as Higher Education is a Permanent card, it immediately starts in play.

Compared to Roland, Daisy’s setup is a little more intensive. She really wants to get the following cards in play, in approximate order of priority:

- Dr. Milan Christopher, for a steady income stream
- Old Book of Lore, to help her search for the cards she wants
- Pathfinder, for the free move every turn
- Shrivelling, to let her pick off weaker enemies
- St. Hubert’s Key, if she has the resources and actions to spare.

On the plus side, Daisy is a lot better at setting up than Roland – Milan ensures that resources are no issue, and Old Book of Lore’s free search-and-draw lets her find the pieces of her setup quickly.

Remember, the cult is subtle and treacherous. There's no obvious way of telling who's a cultist, and they'll stay hidden unless -

Hold up, there's one right there.

- though I suppose circumstances might have forced them to act a bit more openly tonight.

quote:

Round 1

Investigation Phase - Roland’s Turn

Roland spends 3 resources and plays Machete.

Roland moves to Rivertown, plays Shortcut and moves to Southside. Acolyte engages Roland.

H-

Glory to Umordhoth! Death to all who oppose him!

-okay.

quote:

Roland Fights Acolyte with Machete. 5 (-1) vs 3
Success! Acolyte discarded and Roland gains 1 clue from Southside.

Roland ends his turn.

Any luck?

Well, I took care of him, but I don't think he's going to be of much use.

Death to the enemies of Umordhoth!

See what I mean? This is all he says.

I had a feeling it wasn't going to be that easy.

This is a 'do your best' scenario, with a more freeform structure than the last one. Whenever the investigators have a total of 4 clues, they can spend an action to draw one of the Unique cultists, spawning them on the map (where they still have to be dealt with, of course). It's possible to end the scenario without discovering all of them - in fact, we can Resign right now without discovering any of them, but doing so would make things a little more difficult for us down the line.

The setup for this scenario isn’t too bad, though getting a string of cultist tokens could be pretty annoying.

We've got a much bigger playground than just one corridor in this scenario. There's actually a bit of variation on this scenario's setup - some of the locations have alternate versions, and Your House will only show up if you didn't burn it down last scenario.

quote:

Investigation Phase - Daisy’s Turn

Daisy spends 4 resources and plays Dr. Milan Christopher.

Daisy commits Deduction and investigates. 6(-1) vs 1
Success! Daisy gains 2 clues and 1 resource.

Daisy uses the 'Your House' action to draw one card and gain one resource, then ends her turn.

Some of the Location cards have action abilities on them, which investigators at that location can spend an action to activate. 1 card and 1 resource for 1 action is a solid trade (though Daisy isn't particularly cash-strapped with Milan).

What happened to the crazy lady who wanted to burn it down, anyway?

Lita? She left a while ago. I think she's headed straight for the ritual site.

Weren't you working together with her?

Good heavens, no. She approached us a while back, but her methods were far too extreme, so we declined.

And that was before she tried to lock us in a ghoul-filled hellpit.

Let's hope that's the last we've seen of her, then.

quote:

Upkeep phase: Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/6

Roland draws Hunting Nightgaunt from the encounter deck.

AAAAAH WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING

Don't try to run away! They get upset if you run!

Seems plenty upset as it is!

quote:

Daisy draws Acolyte from the Encounter deck.

Acolyte spawns at St. Mary's Hospital.

There's another one! Roland, can you -

Little busy here!

The Acolytes will be a constant annoyance in this scenario. Since they spawn at an empty location, it will always require wasting a move to engage them. They can be left alone for a while, but all that additional doom starts adding up quickly.

quote:

Roland uses the Machete and Fights the Nightgaunt thrice. 5( -3, 0, -1 from Skull) vs 3
Two successes! Nightgaunt defeated. Roland gains one clue and ends his turn.

*Huff* At least the *huff* drat thing's killable. How do you know so much about these things, anyway?

The Miskatonic University has a very extensive library.

quote:

Daisy spends 3 resources and plays Old Book of Lore.

Daisy uses Old Book of Lore to search her deck, discards Astounding Revelation for 2 resources and adds Ward of Protection to her hand.

Daisy moves to Rivertown.

Daisy spends 4 clues from the group and draws Peter Warren from the Cultist deck.

Professor Warren's one of them?

That would explain why he's been skulking around the rare books so much.

Don't you spend all your time there too?

Yes, because I'm a librarian. It's my job.

quote:

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies in play. All enemies remain in their current position.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 3

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom track: 3/6

Roland draws Obscuring Fog. Obscuring Fog attaches to Southside.

Daisy draws False Lead.

Daisy spends 1 resource and plays Ward of Protection, takes 1 horror and cancels False Lead.

Interesting...but I don't have time to look into it right now.

Daisy has a decent shot at passing the test anyway, but no reason to risk it.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck, draws Magnifying Glass and plays it.

Daisy plays Knowledge is Power on Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Deduction.

Daisy commits Deduction and investigates. 7 (-1) vs 1
Success! Daisy picks up 2 clues and gains 1 resource.

Daisy moves to Miskatonic University. Peter Warren engages Daisy.

I know what you're up to, Daisy. It's too late. The ritual can't be stopped anymore, not by you or anyone.

Maybe, maybe not. Stay out of my way, that's all I'm asking. I'll make it worth your while.

quote:

Daisy spends 2 clues to Parley with Peter Warren. Peter Warren added to the Victory Display.

Daisy ends her turn.

One down! How's it going on your side, Roland?

Well, I'd be making a lot more progress if monsters stopped showing up, that's for certain!

quote:

Roland spends 4 resources and plays Beat Cop.

Roland moves to St. Mary's Hospital. Acolyte engages Roland.

Roland uses Machete and Fights Acolyte. 6 (- 0) vs 3
Success! Acolyte defeated and Roland gains 1 clue, then ends his turn.

Upkeep Phase: All cards unexhaust. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 3

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom track 3/6

Roland draws Hunting Nightgaunt from the encounter deck.

Skreee!

What are these things, anyway?

The Guide to the Dreamlands calls them ‘The Heralds of Nodens’. They’re not usually supposed to be so hostile, though. Maybe if you tried to look less threatening?

Maybe when it stops trying to stab me!

quote:

Daisy draws On Wings of Darkness from the encounter deck.

Hiss!

Perhaps we could try negotiAAARGH

quote:

Daisy tests Agility (4).
Test failed! Daisy moves to Rivertown and takes 1 damage. Dr. Milan takes 1 horror.

-oof. Okay, that didn’t work out.

quote:

Roland uses Machete and Fights the Hunting Nightgaunt twice. 6 (-1, -3) vs 3
2 Successes! Hunting Nightgaunt discarded. Roland picks up 1 clue.

Roland moves to Miskatonic University.

Got rid of mine. You okay, Daisy?

Yes, mine just flew away. I think they're just trying to slow us down.

Don't let your guard down. Mine was definitely trying to kill me.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Knowledge is Power.

Daisy plays Knowledge is Power on Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Pathfinder.

Clock's ticking. We'd better get a move on.

quote:

Daisy plays Pathfinder, exhausts it and moves to Easttown.

Daisy commits Eureka! and investigates. 8 (-4) vs 2
Success! Daisy gains 1 clue, 1 resource, searches her deck and draws Mind over Matter.

Daisy investigates.
Success! Daisy gains 1 clue and 1 resource, then ends her turn.

Upkeep phase: All cards unexhaust. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom track 4/6.

Roland draws Hunting Shadow.

Roland takes 1 damage and Beat Cop takes 1 damage. Hunting Shadow discarded.

Banks-

I know, but we don't have time to deal with it now. We need to keep moving.

The 'Peril' keyword on Hunting Shadow means that this is an encounter an investigator has to face alone - they cannot discuss with other players how to resolve it, and other players cannot help to resolve it in any way (via committing cards, playing events, etc.)

quote:

Daisy draws Crypt Chill.

Daisy spends 1 resource on Higher Education and tests Willpower (4). 5 (-0) vs 4

Thought I felt something. Probably my imagination.

As long as we keep 5 cards in hand, we're not in any danger of failing Willpower or Intellect tests anytime soon (autofail aside), thanks to the steady flow of resources from Milan.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck, discards Astounding Revelation for 2 resources and draws Daisy's Tote Bag.

Daisy spends 4 clues and draws Herman Collins from the Cultist deck.

The gravedigger's working with the ghouls?

In retrospect, that should have been our first avenue of inquiry.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Pathfinder and moves to Rivertown, then plays Shortcut and moves to the Graveyard.

Herman Collins engages Daisy.

I got nothing against you, girl. But these things need to be fed, and better the dead than the living.

If we can stop them tonight, you won't have to fear them ever again.

quote:

Daisy spends 1 resource on Higher Education and tests Willpower (3). 5 (-1) vs 3
Success! Daisy remains in the Graveyard.

Daisy discards 4 cards from her hand to Parley with Herman Collins.
Herman Collins added to the Victory Display.

Daisy investigates. 7 (-2) vs 1.
Success! Daisy gains 1 clue and 1 resource, then ends her turn.

Incidentally, Herman engages the moment we enter the Graveyard, so if we'd failed the initial Willpower test we'd have dragged him with us to Rivertown, without taking an Attack of Opportunity - it's not a Move Action.

quote:

Roland spends 2 resources, plays Scene of the Crime and picks up 1 clue.

Roland moves to Northside.

This place was always a little too rich for my blood. But hell, can't hurt to check it out.

quote:

Roland commits Deduction and investigates. 4 (-1) vs 3
Success! Roland picks up 2 clues, then ends his turn.

Upkeep Phase: All cards unexhaust. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 5

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom track: 5/6

Roland draws Crypt Chill from the Encounter Deck.

Roland commits Guts and Quick Study and tests Willpower (4). 5(-0) vs 4

We really want to pass that one – both of Roland’s assets are pretty critical to his continued success and he doesn’t have the draw power or resources to replace them.

quote:

Daisy draws Mysterious Chanting from the Encounter Deck.

Do you hear that?

Hear what?

We could actually cancel this with Ward of Protection, but I have a better idea.

quote:

Daisy searches the discard pile and draws Acolyte. Acolyte spawns at Miskatonic University.

Roland moves to Miskatonic University. Acolyte engages Roland.

Death-

Heard it before, buddy.

quote:

Roland uses Machete to Fight Acolyte. 6 (-1 from skull)
Success! Acolyte defeated. Roland picks up 1 clue.

Since the Acolyte can be spawned on 'Any Empty Location', it's up to us to choose a valid spawn point. In this case, setting it up at the University allows Roland to beat it up and pull a free clue from the highest-shroud location on the map.

quote:

Roland spends 4 clues and draws Ruth Turner from the Cultist deck, then ends his turn.

The mortician? So that's why the bodies haven't been showing up in our files.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck, draws Shrivelling and plays it.

Daisy investigates twice. 7 (-0, -2) vs 1
Two successes! Daisy picks up two clues and two resources, then ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies. All enemies remain in the same spot.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.
Daisy draws The Necronomicon! Magnifying Glass is discarded and The Necronomicon enters play.

drat it! How does this book keep turning up? I thought I got rid of it!

We haven't been hitting the Elder Sign a lot, so we'll take our chances and just ignore it for now.

quote:

Round 6

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom track: 6/6

Well, we've hit the doom threshold for this Agenda, so let's flip it over and-

W-Who are you? Stay back!

quote:

The Masked Hunter engages Daisy.

Roland draws Acolyte from the Encounter deck. Acolyte spawns in Northside.

Daisy draws Hunting Shadow from the Encounter deck.

Daisy spends 1 resource, plays Ward of Protection, takes 1 horror and cancels Hunting Shadow.

I could use some help here, Roland!

Try and shake him! I’ll come over as soon as I can!

quote:

Daisy plays Mind over Matter. All Combat and Agility tests are Intellect tests until the end of the round.

Daisy attempts to Evade the Masked Hunter. 6 (- 3) vs 2
Success! Masked Hunter disengages from Daisy and exhausts.

Daisy exhausts Pathfinder and moves to Rivertown, then exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Shortcut.

Daisy moves to Southside, then plays Shortcut and enters St. Mary's Hospital. Ruth Turner engages Daisy.

I have no wish to fight you, but-

Then GET OUT OF THE WAY!

quote:

Daisy attempts to Evade Ruth Turner. 6 (-1) vs 5
Success! Ruth Turner added to the Victory Display.

Daisy ends her turn.

Wow, that was quicker than I expected.

Amazing what *huff* adrenaline will do for you.

In case anyone needed help visualizing that, here's a visual aid:

quote:

Roland moves to Northside. Acolyte engages Roland.

For the-

Enough already!

quote:

Roland fights Acolyte with Machete. 6 (-0) vs 3
Success! Acolyte discarded and Roland gains one clue.

Roland spends 4 clues and draws Victoria Devereux from the Cultist deck.
Victoria Devereux spawns at Northside and engages Roland.

Roland ends his turn.

Yes, you've found me! Are you satisfied, little man? Do you relish dragging the name of a noble lady through the mud?

Lady, I have no idea who you are.

Me neither.

Impudent peasants!

quote:

Enemy Phase: The Masked Hunter is exhausted and cannot ready. Victoria Devereux Attacks Roland for 1 damage.

Take that, you swine!

Ow! Quit it! Don't force my hand, lady!

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw 1 card and gain 1 resource.

Round 7

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/8

As with the first Agenda, this one allows us to Resign from the scenario at any time and from any location.

quote:

Roland draws Locked Door from the encounter deck. Locked Door spawns at Miskatonic University.

Daisy draws Wizard of the Order. Wizard of the Order spawns at Miskatonic University.

Wow, they really do not want us investigating that university. Something tells me we should take a closer look there.

The Wizard of the Order is a beefed-up version of the regular Acolytes. Unlike the Acolytes, the Wizard will actively accumulate Doom with every round, so he's best dealt with sooner rather than later.

The Locked Door prevents Investigation until it's cleared away. Of course, investigation isn't the only way to clear a location of clues.

quote:

Roland commits Vicious Blow and Fights Victoria Devereux with the Machete. 7 (+1) vs 3
Success! Victoria Devereux defeated and added to the Victory Display. Roland picks up one clue from Northside.

Aaargh!

Sorry about this, but I've got no more time to play nice.

quote:

Roland plays Shortcut and moves to Miskatonic University. Wizard of the Order engages Roland.

There's really no need for all this violence, friend. Perhaps we could settle this like civilized men, hmm?

It's going to take a lot more than fancy words to stop me, 'friend'.

quote:

Roland Fights Wizard of the Order with Machete. 6 (-0) vs 4
Success! Wizard of the Order defeated.

Roland tests Combat (4). 5 (-1) vs 4
Success! Locked door discarded. Roland ends his turn.

Daisy exhausts Pathfinder and moves to Southside.

Daisy uses the action ability on Southside to draw three cards.

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck, discards Astounding Revelation for 2 resources, then draws Mind over Matter.

Feeling better?

I think so, thanks. That masked man frightened me for a moment, but I think I'm alright now.

Now that Daisy's refilled her hand, we once again hit the all-important 5-card threshold for activating Higher Education.

quote:

Daisy moves twice to Northside and ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: Masked Hunter moves to Rivertown.

Roland -

I know. You stay put, I'll handle this.

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw 1 card and gain 1 resource.

Round 8

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/8

Roland draws Mysterious Chanting from the encounter deck. 2 Doom added to The Masked Hunter.

Is - is he singing? Please tell me he's not singing.

Don't focus on it! That stuff gets in your head.

quote:

Daisy draws False Lead, which surges into Hunting Shadow. Daisy takes 2 damage.

Ugh, I can feel his presence, even here. We’d better keep moving.

quote:

Daisy uses the action on Northside, spending 5 resources and gaining 2 clues from the token bank.

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Paranoia.

Augh! Was that him?

Calm down! He's still at Rivertown!

S-sorry, you're right. I think I'd better lie down for a bit.

Searching directly for our weakness might sound silly, but with so few cards left in our deck we were bound to get it sooner or later, and we've already made our big purchase. Getting it out of the way now prevents a dead draw and even greater resource loss down the line.

quote:

Daisy moves to Miskatonic University, then exhausts Pathfinder and moves to St. Mary's Hospital.

Daisy uses the St. Mary's Hospital action to heal 3 damage, then ends her turn.

Roland moves to Rivertown. Masked Hunter engages Roland.

Enough with that singing!

quote:

Roland Fights the Masked Hunter, then commits Vicious Blow and Fights the Masked Hunter. 6 (-1), 7 (- 2 from cultist) vs 4
Both attempts successful. 5 damage dealt to Masked Hunter.

Roland ends his turn.

How are you still standing?

The extra Doom on him is because we pulled a Cultist token.

quote:

Enemy Phase: Masked Hunter deals 2 damage to Roland and 1 Horror to Beat Cop.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw 1 card and gain 1 resource each.

Round 9

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 6/8

Roland draws Locked Door. Locked Door attaches to Miskatonic University.

Daisy draws Obscuring Fog. Obscuring Fog attaches to St. Mary's Hospital.

These Obscuring Fogs aren't doing much now that those areas have been investigated, but the Locked Door remains an annoyance.

quote:

Roland Fights The Masked Hunter twice with the Machete. 6 (-0, -1) vs 4
Both attempts successful. The Masked Hunter defeated and added to the Victory Display.

Roland moves to Miskatonic University and ends his turn.

Ugh, whatever that thing was, it definitely wasn't human. I've got slime all over my hands now. Are we done?

Hold on a moment, let me check the University one last time. Something weird is going on there, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Pathfinder and moves to Miskatonic University.

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches Roland's deck and draws Overpower.

Reminder: Old Book of Lore can be used on any investigator at your location, not just yourself.

quote:

Daisy plays Mind over Matter, then tests Agility (4). 6 (-0 from skull) vs 4
Success! Locked Door discarded.

Roland commits Deduction and Daisy investigates Miskatonic University. 7 (-2) vs 4
Success! Daisy gains 2 clues and 1 resource.

Daisy spends 4 clues and draws "Wolf-Man" Drew from the Cultist Deck.

What?

Are you sure this man is a cult leader?

All the clues point to a devious mastermind who's been hiding behind the guise of insanity for years. Frankly, I'm amazed we missed it the first time.

*sigh* Well, can't leave an escaped lunatic on the loose, regardless.

quote:

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies. All enemies remain in place.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Roland and Daisy draw a card and gain one resource.

Round 10

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 4/8

Roland draws On Wings of Darkness from the Encounter Deck.

I just wish there was a faster way of getting around townAAARGH

quote:

Roland tests Agility (4). 2 (-1) vs 4
Failure! Roland takes 1 damage and 1 horror and moves to Rivertown.

Daisy draws Crypt Chill from the encounter deck, spends 1 resource on Higher Education, and tests Willpower (4). 5 (set to 0 from tentacle) vs 4
Failure! Daisy discards Old Book of Lore.

Oh dear, where did I put it? I swear it was on the shelf over there.

We don't have time to look for it now.

Autofail strikes again! Incidentally, we can’t use this to discard The Necronomicon because it can’t leave play by any means while it still has horror on it.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Pathfinder and moves to Rivertown, then moves to Easttown and Downtown.
"Wolf-Man" Drew engages Daisy.

You can drop the act now, Drew. We're on to your little game.

RAAAARGH!

You're a remarkably convincing actor.

quote:

Daisy commits Guts, spends 1 resource on Higher Education, and Fights Drew with Shrivelling. 7 (-2) vs 4
Success! 2 damage to "Wolf-Man" Drew.

Daisy ends her turn.

Roland plays Roland's .38 Special, then moves to Easttown.

I think it's time I took over the interrogation.

quote:

Roland plays Marksmanship and Commits Overpower, then Fights "Wolf-Man" Drew with Roland's .38 Special. 9 (-3 from tablet) vs 4
Success! "Wolf-Man" Drew defeated and added to the Victory Display.

*whimper*

That wasn't an interrogation! You just shot him!

He was about to chew your face off! You can thank me anytime, by the way.

quote:

All 6 unique cultists have been added to the Victory Display.

Act 1a advances.

quote:

Resolution 1: You've managed to obtain some useful information about the cult and its plans. You can only hope it's enough.

- In your Campaign Log, under "Cultists We Interrogated,", record the names of each unique Cultist enemy in the Victory display.

- In your Campaign Log, under "Cultists Who Got Away", record the name of each unique enemy still remaining in the Cultist deck or in play. If it is Agenda 1, record "The Masked Hunter" here as well.

- Each Investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the Victory Display.

In addition to the cultists, we earned an additional 2 XP for completely emptying Miskatonic University and Northside of clues, though unfortunately we couldn't empty the Graveyard. Still, defeating all six cultists is about as good as it gets in this scenario - let's just hope that luck carries over to...The Devourer Below.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Well done. You survived and got all of the cultists and without too much damage. But were you in time in doing so? We will see.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Wasn't there a rule where if a mechanic is ambiguous it should be interpreted in the worst possible way for the players? I remember whenever I played midnight masks that the cultists would always be placed as far away from the investigators as possible. It made getting anything done pretty much impossible, because we just couldn't get to the cultists before the agenda advanced. If that's wrong, the scenario gets much easier.

This is still my favorite scenario from the base game, the size really makes the game come to life.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

mr_stibbons posted:

Wasn't there a rule where if a mechanic is ambiguous it should be interpreted in the worst possible way for the players? I remember whenever I played midnight masks that the cultists would always be placed as far away from the investigators as possible. It made getting anything done pretty much impossible, because we just couldn't get to the cultists before the agenda advanced. If that's wrong, the scenario gets much easier.

This is still my favorite scenario from the base game, the size really makes the game come to life.

The Grim Rule is not an official ‘rule’ per se - it’s meant to quickly resolve rules/mechanic arguments so the players can quickly get on with the game without bogging it down in endless arguments. From ‘Rulings and Clarifications’:

quote:

When investigators are forced to make a choice and there are multiple valid options, the lead investigator decides between those options. The Grim Rule does not play a part in these choices.

For example: Locked Door reads “Attach to the location with the most clues,and without a Locked Door attached.” If there are 3 locations that are tied for the most clues, and none of them already have a Locked Door attached, the lead investigator decides between those 3 locations. Players are not forced to decide which of those 3 options would be the objectively worst option.

The Grim Rule only comes into effect if players are unable to find the answer to a rules or timing conflict, and are thus unable to continue playing the game. It is designed to keep the game moving when looking up the correct answer would be too time-consuming or inconvenient for the players. The Grim Rule is not an exhaustive answer to rules/timing conflicts.

If an enemy/encounter is meant to be spawned at the furthest possible location, it will usually specify that on the card, like so.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
While I'm working on the next scenario, have a quick interstitial update.

Class Overview/Core Set Investigators

We haven't really gone through all the classes yet, and since we won't be seeing the other Core Set investigators (at least, as far as this three-scenario campaign is concerned), might as well kill two birds with one stone and discuss both the classes and their (initial) representatives.

Guardian

Main Stat: Combat

Guardians feel compelled to defend humanity, and thus go out of their way to combat the forces of the Mythos. They have a strong sense of duty and selflessness that drives them to protect others, and to hunt monsters down.

Strengths:

- Fighting: Their most straightforward niche. Guardians have the largest selection of Weapon assets (and weapon-related upgrades), straight-up damage-dealing cards, and abilities that trigger off defeated monsters

- Tanking: Guardians have plenty of ways to keep attention off other investigators - they can engage drawn enemies, resolve treacheries for them, and just straight-up take the health/sanity hit for them if need be. Of course, surviving such endeavors is another matter entirely.

- Healing: Very much a tertiary niche, but nonetheless one worth mentioning. This aspect of Guardians really shines in longer scenarios, where even the sturdiest of investigators will eventually be worn down.

Weaknesses:

- Expensive: Guardian assets and events can be costly, and they don't have a lot of in-faction economy boosts. Getting one big gun in play (and the ammo cards necessary to keep it fueled) can easily leave you broke.

- One-Dimensional: Unlike other factions, Guardians don't have a lot of ways to utilize their main stat (Combat) for other tests - it's pretty much entirely used for monster-fighting, and not much else. As a result, they have to resort to cards from other factions to boost their non-combat prowess, and a Guardian without such options can feel like dead weight if there's no enemies around to fight.

Core Set Guardian: Roland Banks

We're all familiar with Roland by now, but just for the sake of completeness, let's take a look at him again. With a statline of 3/3/4/2 and Guardian 5/Seeker 2 for his deck, he's a fairly easy investigator for new players to grasp - able to cover both monster-killing and light investigation, and his gimmick lets him grab a free clue from a high-shroud location occasionally. His big weakness is his low sanity - 5 Sanity doesn't give you a lot of room to slip up, and it's compounded by his tendency to throw himself at sanity-shredding monstrosities. It's a good idea to pack horror-tanking assets and/or horror healing, and a couple of extra Willpower boosts to pass critical treacheries.

An alternative version of Roland was released with one of the books. As far as his investigator card goes, it's pretty much the same, only with some snazzy new art.

Mysteries Remain is his alternate signature for his book promo version. It's not quite as strong as his .38 Special, but if you're not relying on that as a weapon, then its one-time effect could potentially be more useful. Its ability to just generate a clue from thin air can potentially mess up a scenario, though the 'remove from game' effect limits fancy recursion plays.

Cover-Up is, as I've mentioned, a massive waste of time and loss of tempo that hits Roland right in his weak spot. Its one silver lining is that it never leaves play - if you pull it early enough and deal with it promptly, you can safely ignore it for the rest of the scenario. The Dirge of Reason is a far lighter and more manageable weakness than Cover-Up, though if you're playing a seeker-focused Roland with high draw (particularly with one specific seeker ally), you might want to skip this one, as it could potentially keep popping up to annoy you until you have the two clues necessary to discard it.

Seeker

Main Stat: Intellect

Seekers are primarily concerned with learning more about the world and about the Mythos. They wish to research forgotten lore, map out uncharted areas, and study strange creatures.

Strengths:

- Clues: Seekers are the class most focused on clue-gathering, with assets and events that boost Investigative prowess, trigger on successful investigation, or just straight-up grab clues from pesky locations.

- Buffing: While Guardians keep their allies healthy, Seekers help to ensure their success by tossing them stat boosts, committing handy skill cards, or lowering an upcoming test's difficulty.

- Drawing/Searching: Seekers have the highest card draw/search capability out of any class, and a large part of their strength comes from being reliably able to draw the exact card required from their deck at an opportune moment.

Weaknesses:

- Setup-Heavy: Seekers have the tools to succeed in just about every situation, but not necessarily the actions to spare to get all of it in play. Aside from that, it's hard to think of what major issues Seekers have as a class, as they have the tools to apply their massive Intellect to just about every situation for reliable (if not guaranteed) success. Individual Seekers can still have their own flaws, of course.

Core Set Seeker: Daisy Walker

We're also pretty familiar with Daisy by now, though we've mostly just been using her free Tome action as a search engine with Old Book of Lore. While that's certainly a strong option, it's just the tip of the iceberg - you can heal up your allies, imbue them with supernatural power, or just straight-up knock out enemies with a single blow. Gimmick aside, a 3/5/2/2 statline is solid for a pure investigator, and her Seeker 5/Mystic 2 deckbuilding gives her some fun options for Tomes and a few useful spells to bolster her weaknesses, though with only 3 Willpower she tends to need a boost or two there if you're planning to lean on her magey side. 5 health is a little low, so bring options to quickly end/escape fights you really don't want to get stuck in.

(Edit: Whoops, borrowed the image from the deckbuilding update without noticing the numbers I added. It's not wrong, though - signatures and unique weaknesses are one-offs in your deck)

Allows Daisy a couple of extra Tome slots. It's okay. Often ends up being committed for its handy icons, though it also helps to mitigate the impact of her weakness.

As mentioned earlier, it's not too bad if you're willing to deal with the doubled failure chance - the main penalty is taking up a hand slot. Since there's no limit to how many times you can trigger it per turn, you can spend a turn to clear it out if you know there's a critical part of the scenario coming up where you really can't afford to take chances. Because of its specific wording, the horror must be moved directly to Daisy - it can't be deflected to other assets or cancelled.

Mystic

Main Stat: Willpower

Mystics are drawn to and influenced by the arcane forces of the Mythos. Many have spell-casting abilities, able to manipulate the forces of the universe through magical talent.

Strengths:

- Focused: Mystics can use their wide variety of Spells to substitute their Willpower for just about any other stat on proactive skill tests (fighting, investigating and the like). Gearing for success is a lot simpler when you only effectively rely on one stat.

- Reality Manipulation: Mystics have the highest access to abilities with 'meta' effects - cards that can shift the dynamics of the chaos bag, stack the encounter deck, and even alter the text of other cards. Where other classes might struggle to succeed with mere stat boosts, Mystics scoff as they simply remove the possibility of failure.

Weaknesses:

- Double-Edged: Many Mystic cards often come with significant drawbacks to match their tremendous power, often requiring you to stack additional Doom on them or hitting you with horror when a special token is drawn. A Mystic can easily become their own worst enemy if the chaos bag is feeling particularly mean.

- Spell-dependent: The classic wizard problem - while they can accomplish just about anything with the right spell at the right time, it also requires them to have the right spell at the right time. A Mystic can easily flounder if they can't find their Spells in time, or if they start running out of charge in a long scenario.

Core Set Mystic - Agnes Baker

Agnes is fairly strong, as far as Mystics go. A statline of 5/2/2/3 gives her enough Willpower to leverage her spells without needing very much in the way of additional boosts, while her lowish non-willpower stats are compensated for by her spells and her subclass. Her gimmick of counterpunching when taking horror can usually be reliably triggered to good effect at least a couple of times each scenario, especially since Mystics have fairly reliable methods of self-inflicting horror without having to tank enemy attacks or treacheries. Her Mystic 5/Survivor 2 deckbuilding gives her some fairly solid options - the cheap Survivor cards pair well with the pricer Mystic cards, and both classes can be leveraged for their probability-manipulating abilities to great effect.

Additional card draw is nice, but this card is pricey and not often worth giving up the hotly-contested Accessory slot for. If you pull this card too late it's fairly dead weight, unless you're running a particularly event-heavy Agnes. Good icons for committing, though.

A nicely thematic (though nonetheless quite annoying) weakness. Agnes can either spend two resources to lose a round, or keep it in her hand and tank the 2 horror-hit (but possibly leverage that to punch an enemy in the process). Neither option is especially desirable, but they both have their silver linings. Note that since the horror is not 'direct' horror, it can still be mitigated via assignment to other assets.

Rogue

Main Stat: Agility

Rogues are self-serving and out for themselves. Wily and opportunistic, they are always eager for a way to exploit their current situation.

Strengths:

- Economy: A lot of rogues have gimmicks themed around extra resource gain, and many rogue cards boost their resources even further. Rogues can leverage this wealth for fancy expensive assets, or by outright spending their way to victory.

- Oversuccesses: A lot of rogue cards are themed around not just success, but spectacular success, with additional effects triggering only if you succeed by 2 or more on a skill test. While these can be difficult to pull off, the resulting pyrotechnics are often worth the extra commitment.

- Speed: Rogues have amazing action economy - they can dash about the map quickly, pack a plethora of Fast cards to save some Play actions, and just pick up a free action once in a while.

Weaknesses:

- Agility can be a janky stat to build around - it's not as limiting as combat, but rogues don't get a lot of ways to turn skill tests into Agility tests early on, and evasion only goes so far in keeping enemies out of the way.

- Expensive: Rogues really only start rolling once they start getting some late-game cards high in resource and EXP cost. While the former can be easily mitigated by their massive resource gain, there's no shortcut to the extra EXP cost, and a rogue will often spend the first couple of scenarios struggling to make an impact without their fancy toys.

- Self-Centered: Rogues are selfish, opportunistic types only in it for themselves, and don't have a lot of tools specifically centered around helping other investigators out. Of course, what's good for the rogue is good for the rest of the team, even if they may not see it that way.

Core Set Rogue - Skids O'Toole

Skids is, unfortunately, a bit of a mess, built before the rogue archetype was truly solidified. His janky 2/3/3/4 statline tends towards the low side (and gives him a hell of a time with willpower treacheries). Rogue 5/Guardian 2 is alright as far as combinations go, but his Combat is a little too low to effectively leverage his subclass. Finally, his gimmick is expensive - if you want to lean in on those extra actions you'll have to run a far cheaper deck than most other rogues, which can be a problem if you're also running costly Guardian assets.

It's rare that you'll get more than one or two enemy attacks cancelled from his signature, but it's still a nicely thematic event that really makes Skids feel like the slippery conman he's supposed to be. Also provides some nice icons for committing if necessary.

This is a pretty crippling weakness. Thanks to its limitations it takes at least three rounds to clear (on top of demanding six resources), and failing to clear it hits Skids right in the Experience points, which he desperately needs as a Rogue. Best pulled either early or not at all.

Survivor

Main Stat: None

Survivors are everyday people in the wrong place at the wrong time, simply trying to survive. Ill-prepared and ill-equipped, Survivors are the underdogs, who rise to the occasion when their lives are threatened.

Strengths:

- Getting by: Survivor cards are all about mitigating failure - reducing its impact and rewarding you with an extra try or a consolation prize. In some cases, you're better off failing a test than passing it.

- Making do: Survivor assets and events are cheap but effective, and several of them can be easily recurred from the discard pile with Survivor trickery. It can be surprisingly difficult for a Survivor to go down if they can keep playing the same Leather Coat over and over again.

- Rising to the occasion: Survivors tend to thrive in adversity, with cards that scale based on just how outclassed they are in a given situation, and abilities that reward them for having no resources or cards in your hand.

Weaknesses:

- Excelling: It's right there in the name - Survivors are great at Not Dying, which is nice but a secondary concern to actually advancing the scenario. When the team is doing well, the Survivor can tend to feel fairly redundant. They also don't have a lot of useful high-end cards, and can tend to feel a little underpowered near the end of a campaign when everyone is toting around god-killing weapons and spellls.

Core Set Survivor - Wendy Adams

A premier defensive investigator - her statline of 4/3/1/4 allows her to deflect or evade just about anything the encounter deck throws at her, and her gimmick lets her reroll a terrible token draw once per test, provided she has cards remaining in her hand. Survivor 5/Rogue 2 gives her a good selection of cards for a generalist role, though her low Combat means she's going to have to need some assistance taking out enemies.

Wendy's Amulet allows her to play the topmost Event card of her discard pile, then add it back to the bottom of her deck. Because the Forced effect triggers on events you play from your hand as well, you want to save actually playing the Amulet for after you've gotten a few powerful Events in your discard, though even after it's in play you can still get Events in your discard by committing them to tests or discarding to fuel her ability.

The 2 direct horror isn't too bad - just keep your sanity up and be prepared to take that horror anytime, if you haven't drawn it yet. Removing your discard pile, however, is fairly crippling - Survivors have gotten more and more cards and mechanics focused on recursion since the Core Set, and a card that locks you out of that entire archetype really limits your options. Best pulled early to get rid of it quickly and limit its damage.

And that's all the classes/investigators in the Core Set. Next we'll be taking on...The Devourer Below.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 9, 2020

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
My impressions of the characters, solely from playing the base game, were based around the assumptions that you win games by getting clues and killing boss monsters, in that order. So it felt to me that Roland and Daisy were the best two characters since daisy was the best at getting clues, and roland was the best at killing things and the second best at getting clues. It will be interesting to see if they manage to break up this dynamic with the design of later scenarios. Wendy I always felt was the weakest, because "not dying" doesn't translate to winning the game easily.

In other words, use wendy as an investigator in your next game.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
When we're done with Night of the Zealot (which shouldn't take long, only one scenario left), I'll leave it up to a thread vote to pick the investigators for the next campaign, probably with the options of the investigators from that cycle + unused investigators from previous ones. That said, Wendy is far from the weakest investigator, and I'd be quite happy to play her over several other options.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
This LP is really well written and informative! I love the Cthulhu genre of games but could never justify the cost of the LCG.

Have you played all the current cycles?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm familiar with the later cycles, though for some of them I've yet to complete a full campaign solo, and completing a whole campaign with a group sadly remains on my bucket list - it's too much of a time commitment for myself and others right now.

If you want to just dabble with the game I'd recommend the same TTS mod I'm currently using, if you don't mind playing on your computer. Just grab one of the inbuilt starter decks there, or borrow one of the more popular decks on ArkhamDB if you don't feel like building your own right away. I do also own a physical copy of the game, but taking pictures of that for the LP would be far too inconvenient - got into it when it was just starting, so purchase-wise I only have to worry about keeping up rather than catching up on backlog.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for the information about the other character types.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Upgrading:

Roland:

Removed: 1 Dodge, 1 Emergency Cache

Added: 1 Police Badge, 1 Astounding Revelation, 1 Stick to the Plan

This upgrade is mostly based around upgrading Roland's draw consistency. Stick to the Plan is an Exceptional card - while it's still considered a level 3 card, it actually costs twice as much as its printed XP to actually put in our deck. Still, the results are worth it - we essentially have three useful cards in our 'hand' at the start of the game that can be played anytime, and don't have to waste time actually drawing them. The additional Police Badge is there to ensure it actually shows up this time, and the single Astounding Revelation is there to combo with the 'search your deck at the start of the game' card we just added. We could add two more of those, but that'd be pretty pointless - Roland doesn't have any way to search his own deck.

Daisy:

Removed: 1 Magnifying Glass, 1 Deduction, 2 Ward of Protection, 2 Backpack

Added: 2 Seeking Answers, 1 Deduction (2), 1 Forewarned, 2 Ward of Protection (2)

This upgrade is mostly focused on buffing Daisy's encounter-hate and clue gathering. The upgraded Wards of Protection allow her to cancel Roland's encounter cards from across the map, and Forewarned adds even more encounter cancellation. The upgraded Deduction (2) can save quite a bit of time if we can pull off that +2 Investigation, and as for the 2 Seeking Answers...let's just say that something tells me they'll come in handy in the next scenario.

With all that settled, let's begin!

So, this is the place he mentioned?

Yes, the wolf-man was surprisingly co-operative all things considered.

still think you shouldn't have shot him, though

Anyway, the ritual site should be right about, uh...

Hmm. Maybe I should have asked him to be a little more specific.

I doubt better directions would have helped, anyway. Can't make out a single landmark in this darkness.

We'd better start searching, then. I hope there's still time...

Some notes about setting up the scenario:

- There are six possible Arkham Woods cards. Four of them are chosen and connected to the Main Path, the remaining two are set aside.

If you performed poorly last scenario, then that bad luck carries over to this one. 1 Doom is placed on Agenda 1A for every 3 cultists that got away, and 2 cards are discarded from your opening hand if the last scenario ended via timing out the Doom clock. Fortunately, we don't have to deal with any of that.

1 Elder Thing token has been added to the Chaos Bag. Let's hope we don't see it!

We haven't really talked about how the encounter deck is set up. Each scenario comes with a few scenario specific encounter cards, and those are shuffled together with a list of specified 'generic' encounter sets to form the encounter deck. For this scenario, in addition to the above, we have to randomly choose and shuffle in one of the following enemy sets: Agents of Yog-Sothoth, Agents of Shub-Niggurath, Agents of Cthulhu, or Agents of Hastur. Apparently the ghoul cult's been outsourcing.

quote:

Round 1:

Setup Phase:

Roland searches his deck, attaches Shortcut, Marksmanship and Emergency Cache, then discards Astounding Revelations for 2 resources.

Both investigators draw 5 cards.

A Machete and a Flashlight is a pretty good start for Roland - he's going to have to pull his weight with investigation this scenario. Daisy managed to grab Milan and her Old Book, so that's about as good a start as it gets.

quote:

Investigation Phase - Roland's Turn

Roland spends 3 resources and plays Machete.

Roland moves to Arkham Woods (West).

Whoa, I can't even see you in that mess. You okay, Roland?

Doing fine, actually! Hah, and to think they laughed when I bought a machete.

These locations are what we brought the Seeking Answers along for. If we end up with one particularly finicky location, Daisy can sit on the Main Path and pull clues from it without having to use her weaker stats. Roland happened to get lucky and ended up in the location best-suited for him, though despite his enthusiasm the Machete isn't actually helping - it only provides a +1 Combat bonus if used on a Fight check.

quote:

Roland Investigates Tangled Thicket. 4 (-1) vs 2
Success! Roland gains 1 clue and ends his turn.

Investigation Phase - Daisy's Turn

Daisy plays Dr. Milan Christopher.

Daisy moves to Arkham Woods (East).

Daisy draws a card and ends her turn.

Oh dear. I am terrible with heights.

We'll take it slow, then. Watch your step.

We have Mind Over Matter for investigating this location, but we'll save it for the next round so we get more uses out of it.

quote:

Upkeep Phase: Both investigators draw a card and end their turn.

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/4

Roland draws Frozen in Fear from the encounter deck.

Was that one of those creatures? They couldn't make it through forest this thick, could they?

quote:

Daisy draws Acolyte. Acolyte spawns on the Main Path.

We know you're in there! Don't make this harder on yourself than it needs to be!

quote:

Investigation Phase - Daisy's Turn.

Daisy plays Mind over Matter. All Combat and Agility tests are now Intellect tests until the end of the round.

Daisy Investigates Cliffside twice. 6 (-0 from skull, -3) vs 2
2 successes! Daisy picks up 2 clues and gains 2 resources.

Daisy plays Old Book of Lore, exhausts it, searches her deck and draws Knowledge is Power.

Daisy ends her turn.

Roland spends 2 resources and plays Quick Study.

Roland Investigates Tangled Thicket by testing Combat (2). 4 (-2) vs 2
Success! Roland picks up 1 clue.

Roland exhausts Stick to the Plan and plays Emergency Cache for 3 resources.

Roland exhausts Quick Study, places 1 clue back on Tangled Thicket and tests Willpower (3). 6 (-3 from tablet) vs 3
Success! Frozen in Fear discarded. Roland ends his turn.

Nah, there's no way anything could make it through forest this thick.

quote:

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies. All enemies in play remain at the same location.

Upkeep Phase: Roland and Daisy each draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 3:

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 3/4

Roland draws Ghoul Minion from the encounter deck. Ghoul Minion engages Roland.

Raaargh!

Me and my big mouth.

quote:

Daisy draws Acolyte from the encounter deck. Acolyte spawns at Arkham Woods (southeast).

quote:

Investigation Phase - Roland's Turn.

Roland Fights Ghoul Minion with Machete. 5 (-3) vs 2
Success! Ghoul Minion defeated. Roland picks up 1 clue from Tangled Thicket.

Roland spends 4 resources and plays Beat Cop.

Roland exhausts Stick to the plan, plays Shortcut and moves to the Main Path. Acolyte engages Roland.

Roland Fights Acolyte with Machete. 6 (-1) vs 3
Success! Acolyte defeated.

Investigation Phase - Daisy's Turn.

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck, discards Astounding Revelations for 2 resources and draws Deduction.

Daisy plays Pathfinder, exhausts it and moves to the Main Path.

Daisy moves to Arkham Woods (Southwest).

We'd better not stray too far in. I can barely see the entrance as it is.

quote:

Daisy commits Deduction (2) and Investigates Twisting Paths. 9 (-3) vs 2
Success! Daisy picks up 2 clues and gains 1 resource, then ends her turn.

The investigators spend 6 clues to advance the Act.

Hey, are you going to come out here sometime?

No need.

What?

You poor fools have no idea what you're in for. You're surrounded on all sides, and you don't even know it yet. Behold...the Masked Legion!

The, uh, Masked Legion?

Oh, those guys with the masks. We arrested them all earlier.

Except for the one that melted all over me. Ugh.

Even the wolf-man?

Especially the wolf-man.

This would have been a rude surprise if we resigned early last scenario, but thanks to our overwhelming success there we managed to avoid a nasty trap.

quote:

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies in play. Skipped.

Upkeep Phase: All cards unexhaust. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 3:

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 4/4

Bah. So you took out a pack of mere humans. Let's see how you stand up against some real power!

quote:

Young Deep One spawns at the Main Path. Young Deep One engages Roland. Beat Cop takes 1 Horror.

Roland draws Dreams of R'lyeh from the Encounter Deck.

Glurg...

What are you doing? Get out of my head!

quote:

Daisy draws Umordhoth's Wrath from the Encounter Deck.

Daisy commits Guts, spends 1 resource on Higher Education, and tests Will (5).
Success! No cards discarded.

Y-you feel that too, don't you?

It's tearing at the walls of reality. We've managed to upset it.

That's a lot less comforting than you make it sound!

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Eureka!

Daisy exhausts Pathfinder and tests Intellect (3). 7 (-0) vs 3
Success! Daisy moves to the Main Path.

Daisy commits Eureka!, spends 1 resource on Higher Education and tests Willpower (3). 6 (-1 from skull) vs 3
Success! Dreams of R'lyeh discarded. Daisy searches her deck, discards Astounding Revelation for 2 resources and draws Shortcut.

I've got this. You just focus on taking him down.

Remember: investigators can activate Action abilities on any Treachery card at their location, which includes cards in the Threat Area of other investigators at the same location.

quote:

Daisy plays Shortcut and moves to the Ritual Site. Act 2a advances.

quote:

Ghoul Minion spawns at Ritual Site. Ghoul Minion engages Daisy.

Graaah!

Daisy! Hang on, I'm coming!

Don't worry about me! I can handle a guy like this on my own.

In fact, I think I've got just the ticket.

quote:

Daisy plays Knowledge is Power on Shrivelling, commits Daisy's Tote Bag and Fights Ghoul Minion. 6 (-3) vs 3
Success! Ghoul Minion defeated. Daisy discards Shrivelling and draws a card.

Daisy Investigates the Ritual Site twice. 6 (-5 from ET, -3) vs 3
One success! Daisy picks up one clue and gains 1 resource, then ends her turn.

Roland commits Vicious Blow, then Fights Young Deep One with Machete. 7 (-2) vs 4
Success! Young Deep One discarded.

Roland moves to Ritual Site.

Roland plays Police Badge, then ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies in play. All enemies remain in place.

1 clue added to Ritual Site.

quote:

Round 4

1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/5

Roland draws Ancient Evils.
Daisy plays Ward of Protection, takes 1 Horror and cancels Ancient Evils.

Daisy draws Rotting Remains and tests Willpower (3)
Failure! Daisy takes 1 horror.

Ow!

You okay?

Just a bit of a headache. Magic takes a lot out of you.

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck, discards Astounding Revelation for 2 resources and draws Forewarned.

Daisy plays St. Hubert's Key.

Daisy investigates twice. 7 (autofail, -2) vs 3
One success! Daisy gains 1 clue and 1 resource.

Roland discards Police Badge. Daisy can take 2 more actions this turn.

Daisy tests Willpower (3) twice. 4 (-3, -0) vs 3
One success! Daisy places one clue on the Act.

Daisy ends her turn.

Roland plays Flashlight.

Roland spends 2 Flashlight supplies and investigates twice. 3 (-3, -1) vs 1
One success! Roland gains 1 clue.

Roland ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies in play. Skipped.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain 1 resource.

2 clues added to Ritual Site.

...and cross the sigil twice. Yes, like that.

Are you sure this is doing anything?

Frankly, I don't know. This is the first time I've seen such a complex and delicate magical setup. I can counterspell some of it, but I don't know if that'll be enough.

quote:

Round 5

1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track 3/5.

Roland draws Frozen in Fear from the encounter deck.

Your fancy signs aren't doing a drat thing! I can feel it getting closer!

I'm doing the best I can! I just need a little more time.

quote:

Daisy draws Ghoul Minion from the encounter deck.
Roland plays "Let me Handle This!". Ghoul Minion engages Roland.

Raa-

ENOUGH ALREADY!

quote:

Roland spends 2 Actions to Fight Ghoul Minion with Machete. 7 (-3) vs 3
Success! Ghoul Minion defeated. Roland gains 1 clue.

Roland exhausts Quick Study and commits Logical Reasoning, then tests Willpower (3). 8 (-4) vs 3
Success! 1 clue added to the Act.

You know, maybe we've been going about this the wrong way.

What?

I can feel it coming. You can sense it too, can't you?

You said this thing was delicate. Maybe we don't need to directly counter every last bit of it. We just need to muck it up until it stops working.

You want to just 'muck up' an unknown magical ritual?

We're running out of time! Do you have a better idea?

...Not really, no. *sigh* I suppose we might as well give it a shot. Just be glad you have no idea exactly how dangerous this is.

quote:

Roland tests Willpower (3). 3 (+3 from elder sign) vs 3
Success! Frozen in Fear discarded.

Roland ends his turn.

I'm no magician, but I think it's working!

I was fully prepared to just have Roland blow that test and leave it there a round longer, but if the chaos bag feels like throwing us a bone, fine by me!

quote:

Daisy exhausts Old Book of Lore, searches her deck and draws Manual Dexterity.

Daisy commits Deduction and Investigates. 7 (-1) vs 3
Success! Daisy picks up 2 clues and gains 1 resource.

Daisy plays Mind over Matter. All Combat and Agility tests are Intellect tests until the end of the round.

Daisy tests Agility (3) twice. 7 (-2, -4) vs 3
Both times successful! 2 clues added to the Act.

The Act has 2 clues per investigator! The Act advances.

Huh, was that it? That was anticlimatic.

What exactly did you expect?

Given how things have been going, I figured some big ugly monster would've popped out of it, and then I'd have to shoot it down.

That was what we were working to prevent, remember?

That's fair.

quote:

Resolution 1: You have managed to prevent the cult from summoning its master. Although you're unsure what would have happened had the cult succeeded, you're relieved that - at least for the time being - Arkham is safe. You capture as many cultists as you can find, but very few townspeople believe your tale. Perhaps it was all in your head, after all.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the ritual to summon Umordhoth was broken

- Each investigator suffers 2 mental trauma, as he or she never fully recovers from his or her ordeal.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the Victory Display. Each investigator earns 5 bonus experience as he or she has saved Arkham from a terrible fate.

- The investigators win!

Epilogue

So, you had to let them go?

Well, there wasn't much we could actually charge them with, in the end. 'Conspiracy to summon a god' ain't exactly on the lawbooks.

Last I heard, most of 'em are leaving town. Whatever they're looking for, it's not in Arkham anymore.

It'll be nice to have some peace and quiet around here. By the way, how's your house holding up?

Funny story about that, but I went back to look and all the tunnels you mentioned were gone. Tried digging a bit to check, and it's just solid rock down there.

Course, all the dead bodies they were storing in there didn't go anywhere, so getting all that cleared out is gonna take a while.

Do you want a temporary room in one of the student dorms? It's usually pretty quiet this time of year and we could probably work something out.

Nah, I'm overdue for a vacation anyway. Been thinking about taking a trip up to the countryside, get some fresh air.

The countryside, eh? Maybe it's time I took a break too. I hear Dunwich is pretty nice this time of year.

Night of the Zealot: The End

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I love this game to bits. I will never get to play it as much as I like because my friends all have lame stuff like "jobs" and "families" to get on with. Sickos.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I do like that the designers decided that things like "dice" were passe and went with the metal-sounding Chaos Bag.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
My girlfriend and I played through this scenario twice ourselves. We had fun, but we did notice that it's hard to recover from failure: we bungled the first mission, so the ghoul priest bossfight got added to the deck and our characters were going into the second wounded and at a disadvantage -- so we had to cut our losses midway through that one, too.

This meant that going into the third mission, the doom track was almost full already and we had an enemy that was another mission's bossfight, plus most of the cult mobbing us: we barely lasted a few turns before going down.

I reckon the scenarios would work better if instead of losing a mission making the next one harder, it rubber-banded things: the consequences made the next mission easier, but the most you could achieve was keeping the ancient evil slumbering for now, whereas if you ace the early missions you have the option of doing things which make the next mission harder but let you defeat the eldritch horrors more permanently or in a cooler way.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Good work, you won again. And in one of the best ways, stopping it from ever showing up.

Have a good vacation in Dunwich, Roland! :wave:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Technowolf posted:

I do like that the designers decided that things like "dice" were passe and went with the metal-sounding Chaos Bag.

Dunno if you're being sarcastic or not ; but the bag has the advantage over various sided dice that it can evolve along with the game to provide a scaling, dynamic difficulty setting. Do too well and you might have to plonk more bad poo poo in there ; get consistently rekt and the game will throw you a bone and maybe an Elder Sign. It's a neat concept that's not just a gimmick IMO.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Whybird posted:

My girlfriend and I played through this scenario twice ourselves. We had fun, but we did notice that it's hard to recover from failure: we bungled the first mission, so the ghoul priest bossfight got added to the deck and our characters were going into the second wounded and at a disadvantage -- so we had to cut our losses midway through that one, too.

This meant that going into the third mission, the doom track was almost full already and we had an enemy that was another mission's bossfight, plus most of the cult mobbing us: we barely lasted a few turns before going down.

I reckon the scenarios would work better if instead of losing a mission making the next one harder, it rubber-banded things: the consequences made the next mission easier, but the most you could achieve was keeping the ancient evil slumbering for now, whereas if you ace the early missions you have the option of doing things which make the next mission harder but let you defeat the eldritch horrors more permanently or in a cooler way.

The game does provide you some advantages even when you gently caress up though. For example, while Inadequately didn't seize the opportunity, Lita from the first scenario is a beast of a combat follower (way better than the beat cop !) and if you succeed in diplomating her you get to add her to your deck for good.

That being said, it is a Chtulhu game where the odds are almost explicitly stacked against you. Abject failure is to be expected :).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am loving this LP

Almost enough to plonk cash on TT Simulator myself just to dick about with goons in various TT games from the goony comfort of my own home.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Kobal2 posted:

The game does provide you some advantages even when you gently caress up though. For example, while Inadequately didn't seize the opportunity, Lita from the first scenario is a beast of a combat follower (way better than the beat cop !) and if you succeed in diplomating her you get to add her to your deck for good.

That being said, it is a Chtulhu game where the odds are almost explicitly stacked against you. Abject failure is to be expected :).

And if you have her out and things are going very poorly in the scenario we just saw, she can be a useful bargaining chip . . .

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Dunno if you're being sarcastic or not ; but the bag has the advantage over various sided dice that it can evolve along with the game to provide a scaling, dynamic difficulty setting. Do too well and you might have to plonk more bad poo poo in there ; get consistently rekt and the game will throw you a bone and maybe an Elder Sign. It's a neat concept that's not just a gimmick IMO.

Not sarcastic at all; in fact, this explanation made me love the concept even more

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
And that's Night of the Zealot complete - or at least, one of the ways in which its events could have played out. Let's take a look at some of the possible alternate paths...

The Gathering

If all living investigators resign/are defeated:

quote:

Resolution 0:

You barely manage to escape your house with your lives. The woman from your parlor follows you out the front door, slamming it behind her. "You fools! See what you have done?" She pushes a chair in front of the door, lodging it beneath the doorknob. "We must get out of here. Come with me, and I will tell you what I know. We are the only ones who can stop the threat that lurks beneath from being unleashed throughout the city." You're in no state to argue. Nodding, you follow the woman as she runs from your front porch out into the rainy street, toward Rivertown.

- In your Campaign Log, record that your house is still standing.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the Ghoul Priest is still alive.

- The lead investigator earns the Lita Chantler card and may include it in his or her deck. This card does not count toward that investigator's deck size.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display (remember to add eligible locations to the victory display). Each investigator earns 2 bonus experience as he or she gains insight into the hidden world of the Mythos.

For reference, here's Lita's card again:

If you defeat the Ghoul Priest, then let Lita set the house on fire:

quote:

Resolution 1:

You nod and allow the red-haired woman to set the walls and floor of your house ablaze. The fire spreads quickly, and you run out the front door to avoid being caught in the inferno. From the sidewalk, you watch as everything you own is consumed by the flames. "Come with me," the woman says. "You must be told of the threat that lurks below. Alone, we are surely doomed...but together, we can stop it."

- In your Campaign Log, record that your house has burned to the ground.

- The lead investigator earns the Lita Chantler card and may include it in his or her deck. This card does not count toward that investigator's deck size.

- The lead investigator suffers 1 mental trauma from watching his or her home become a smoldering ruin.

If the doom track runs out entirely:

quote:

Resolution 3:

You run to the hallway to try to find a way to escape the house, but the burning-hot barrier still blocks your path. Trapped, the horde of feral creatures that have invaded your home close in, and you have nowhere to run.

- In your Campaign Log, record that Lita was forced to find others to help her cause.

- In your Campaign Log, record that your house is still standing.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the Ghoul Priest is still alive.

- Each investigator who has not resigned is killed. If there are not enough investigators to continue the campaign, the campaign is over and the players lose. Otherwise, advance to the next scenario. (Each player whose investigator has been killed must choost a new investigator from the pool of available investigators.)

- If the lead investigator was killed, choose an investigator to earn the Lita Chantler card. That investigator may include it in his or her deck. This card does not count toward that investigator's deck size.

We also missed seeing these two particularly beefy ghouls. They're a pretty challenging fight for the very first scenario, but taking them down is worth an extra victory point each.

The Midnight Masks

If the Doom Track runs out:

quote:

Resolution 2:

Twelve bells ring out, signalling midnight. You're out of time; the cult's ritual will begin shortly. You've managed to obtain some useful information about the cult and its plans. You can only hope it's enough.

- In your Campaign Log, under "Cultists We Interrogated", record the names of each unique Cultist enemy in the victory display.

- In your Campaign Log, under "Cultists Who Got Away", record the names of each unique Cultist enemy still remaining in the Cultist deck or in play.

- In your Campaign Log, record that it is past midnight.

Ending the scenario by resigning or defeat gets us Resolution 1, the same one we earned through complete victory.

The Devourer Below

If each investigator resigns/is defeated:

quote:

Too frightened to face her fate, Lita flees into the night. She realizes that she has failed and Umordhoth's vengeance will pursue her wherever she goes. The creature's tendrils spread throughout the city of Arkham, searching for her. It lurks in the darkness of every corner, tugging at the seams of reality. But Lita is nowhere to be found, so the creature dwells in the shadows to this day, searching...killing.

- In your Campaign Log, record that Arkham succumbed to Umordhoth's terrible vengeance.

- Each surviving investigator is killed.

- The investigators lose.

If the Doom Track runs out:

With 5 Fight/6 Evade, 3 damage/horror per attack and anywhere between 10-22 HP, Umordhoth is certainly a difficult foe. That said, taking it down is not impossible, though it's one of those things that needs to be built towards from scenario 1 to have any chance of victory.

If you manage to take down Umordhoth with sheer brute force:

quote:

Resolution 2:

Through force of arms and strength of will, you are somehow able to harm Umordhoth enough to send it reeling back to the dimension from which it emerged. Warmth and light return to the woods as the void-like mass is sucked in upon itself, vanishing in an instant. You aren't sure if a being such as this can be killed, but for the time being it seems to have retreated. As their master vanishes, the ghouls nearby climb into the open pit below, fleeing with terrible cries and shrieks. You have stopped an evil plot, but the fight has taken its toll on your body and mind. Worse, you can't help but feel insignificant in the face of the world's mysteries. What other terrors exist in the deep, dark corners of reality?

- In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators repelled Umordhoth.

- Each investigator suffers 2 physical and 2 mental trauma, as the fight against Umordhoth has taken its toll on his or her body and mind.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display. Each investigator earns 10 bonus experience, as he or she has triumphed in battle against a truly terrible foe.

- The investigators win!

Of course, you may no doubt have noticed there's an alternate path to 'victory' right there...

If you throw Lita to Umordhoth and run:

quote:

Resolution 3: In the face of this horror, you don't believe there is anything you can do to stop it. You have but one hope if you are to survive. You turn on Lita and throw her at the terrible monstrosity, watching in dread as its swirling void-like mass consumes her. She cries out in torment as the life is sucked from her body. "Umordhoth...Umordhoth..." the cultists chant. Lita Chantler vanishes without a trace. For a moment, you fear that the creature will now turn on you, but you hear one of the cultists say, "Umordhoth is a just god who claims only the guilty and the dead. Go, and you shall be spared." The swirling mass vanishes, and warmth and light return to the woods. The cultists slink away, leaving you alive. Lita's last moments are forever etched upon your memory.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators sacrificed Lita Chantler to Umordhoth.

- Each investigator suffers 2 physical and 2 mental trauma, as the mere sight of Umordhoth has taken its toll on his or her body and mind.

- The guilt over sacrificing Lita forever haunts your memory. Each investigator must search the collection for a random Madness weakness and add it to his or her deck.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

- The investigators have survived, but their actions weight heavily on their consciences.

Not the most glorious of endings, but sometimes, just surviving is the best you can do. And as Lita herself would say, sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

Finally, for the one Wendy detractor, here's a detailed guide to soloing the entire NOTZ campaign on Hard Mode, ending it by killing Umordhoth in a single turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with that, we're on to the first proper campaign, The Dunwich Legacy. Night of the Zealot was a decent start, but it suffers from most of it being an extended tutorial for the basics of how to play the game (on top of somewhat antiquated mechanics and wonky balance). Freed from those constraints, The Dunwich Legacy starts off far stronger, and I'm looking forward to getting into it.

But before we do, it's time to meet the Dunwich investigators. This won't be a full introduction to them, but since we can't talk about some of them without mentioning their signatures, all the signatures will be shown off in the interests of fairness, regardless of how integral they are to that investigator's playstyle. Weaknesses will remain a surprise, though they're not too hard to look up if you really want to. Deckbuilding-wise, all the Dunwich investigators share the same formula: Level 0-5 cards of their class and Neutral cards, and a 'subclass' of up to 5 level 0 cards from any other class.

Zoey Samaras: The Chef

A psychotic chef with a god-given mission to eliminate evil. Her statline of 4/2/4/2 and decently high health/sanity makes her very good at shrugging off or stabbing up anything that comes from the encounter deck, though not great at very much else. Her gimmick is gaining a free resource when engaging/getting engaged by an enemy, making her a potentially very rich Guardian if she devotes herself full-time to monster-hunting.

Her signature Cross provides one free damage per round whenever you become engaged with an enemy. The resource cost is practically irrelevant thanks to her ability - the only limitation Zoey really faces is being able to find it and put it into play in time.

Rex Murphy: The Reporter

One of the most straightforward Seekers in the game. Rex's gimmick is that he Investigates harder than anyone else, gaining an extra clue whenever he succeeds by 2 or more at an Investigation. His statline of 3/4/2/3 means he's not particularly inclined towards doing much other than what he's best at, and has the additional deckbuilding limitation of being unable to take Fortune cards, which isn't really that much of a limitation in-faction but locks him out of a few handy Rogue/Survivor cards.

His ability comes with an upside that might be initially overlooked - it's unlimited-use, and he can trigger its effect as many times as he investigates in a turn. This isn't too impressive at low player counts, but really shines in a full four-man team (where his allies can handle every other non-investigation duty, and locations will actually have enough clues to warrant a full turn of doing nothing but sitting there and investigating) and at lower difficulty levels (where succeeding by 2 requires far less commitment on average).

His signature is an event that can be played for extra card draw or committed for a hefty Intellect boost. Handy to keep the Higher Education engine going if you're going down that route.

Jim Culver: The Musician

Jim's gimmick of being able to very slightly shift the Chaos Bag's probability in his favor might seem lackluster, but...well, okay, it is. Still, it has its uses, especially on higher difficulties where the Skull token (often already the least threatening of the special tokens) comes with a bad enough modifier that his ability to cancel that out actually becomes relevant.

Note that his ability only alters the numerical modifier on Skull tokens - all other specified effects of drawing the skull token still apply. For an effect like e.g. "Draw another token, then -1 for each Skull revealed", his ability would be useless. The token also still counts as a skull and not as a '0' for the purposes of any Mystic card effects that trigger off revealing a skull (or a '0')

Semi-useless gimmick aside, he has a fairly standard Mystic statline of 4/3/3/2, though like most Mystics he tends to rely almost exclusively on Willpower and not much else.

Jim's Trumpet takes up a hand slot and provides somewhat inconsistent horror healing. It's about as exciting as his ability (though can be helpful if you're following a Roland around).

Jenny Barnes: The Dilettante

With a statline of 3/3/3/3, Jenny is capable of just about anything, but not likely to excel at it without additional stat boosters. Her gimmick is Money - she gains an additional resource per round, and while other investigators can have potentially stronger economy boosters, few of them can do it with the same ease as Jenny. Once she's built up a good amount of resources, she can easily leverage the expensive rogue toys and pay-to-win stat boosters to make up for her average statline.

A set of guns that come into play loaded with however much you spent to get them there. They're okay as a weapon, but they take up two valuable hand slots, and the nature of their gimmick requires that you spend a while building up a resource pool before playing them for best effect.

"Ashcan" Pete: the Drifter

Ashcan Pete's power is owning a dog.

Duke starts in play as an Ally asset, though he doesn't take up the Ally slot. Ashcan Pete can spend an action to give Duke a treat, motivating Duke to either Fight with a base Combat of 4, or Investigate (with or without a free Move) with a base Intellect of 4. Mechanically speaking, it's Pete doing the fighting/investigating, but come on now.

Pete's stats are on the low side, but with Duke's help he has an effective statline of 4/4/4/3.He can only use the stat boosts when Fighting/Investigating though, and not on any other skill test that requires those stats. His gimmick allows him to discard a card and ready an asset - no prizes for guessing which good boy those cards will be fed to for most of the game.

With all Dunwich investigators introduced, it's time to Choose your Character(s)! Vote for the two Dunwich investigators you prefer, and we'll start the campaign off with them - no guarantees about the ending, though! If none of them catch your eye, pick the Previously Unused Investigator option and I'll choose one of them at random to show off, though if you make a good case for any particular one I'll give that additional consideration. Voting will probably be up for a couple of days, unless there happens to be a particularly unanimous vote.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Rex Murphy: The Reporter

Wow, they just stole the name of a reporter from CBC:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

But you've chucked exactly 0 cats this entire scenario?
voting for any investigator that actually can chuck a cat as an option for dealing with cultists

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Voting Jim for perverse reasons - he was the guy I ran Dunwich with and... I felt like I sucked throughout. Not sure if it's because I didn't know the game very well and built a bad deck, or because he's just bad, or because I somehow never quite managed to get my hoodoo ducks in a row before the scenarii turned to violent albeit liquid poo poo around us ; but I'm curious what an actually competent player might do with him or how to make him work. In any event, I felt pretty disappointed when the pitch "Voodoo jazz trumpetist" seemed pretty drat sexy on paper (although I just now realized he's also a straight up magical negro. Not sure what to think of that)

I will however say that a well built Jenny is pretty drat effective; and I do love that her shtick is almost literally throwing moneybags at people. Her unique weakness is pretty hobbling however.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 14, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Ashcan Pete

A hobo and his faithful dog solve problems. Just watch out for bindlestiffs.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ashca Pete and Jim because HARDMODE

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Zoey and Duke (oh, and Duke's friend, I guess)

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Ashcan Pete and Jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Ashcan Pete and the Chef