Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bandwagoning "Ashcan" Pete and Zoey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I want to see what you write for Ashcan Pete and the Chef.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ashcan Pete and Zoey. Let's hunt down the evil. EVIL!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Inadequately posted:

Ashcan Pete's power is owning a dog.

The best power :colbert:

Ashcan is probably my favorite investigator, specially solo.

grandalt posted:

Ashcan Pete and Zoey. Let's hunt down the evil. EVIL!

This

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fat Samurai posted:

The best power :colbert:

Ashcan is probably my favorite investigator, specially solo.

He is indeed really good, especially when you fully embrace the dark power of being flat broke and getting most of your equipment out of dumpsters.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Ashcan Pete and Jim

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Ashcan Pete and The Chef because clearly you need a guardian that can actually afford stuff... and a dog that can bite people's faces off.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The final tally stands at 10 votes for Ashcan Pete, 7 votes for Zoey, 4 votes for Jim, one vote for Duke (but with a begrudging caveat for his human pal), and one vote for "any investigator that can actually chuck a cat at a cultist" (which I am, for reasons, also counting as a Pete vote).

So it looks like we'll be heading into The Dunwich Legacy armed with the powers of 'dog' and 'stab wounds'. Let's hope it'll be enough! Update should be sometime this weekend or so.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Well I'm sure a religious fanatic with an alarmingly complete set of Ginsus on her person at all times and the crustiest of hobos with a maneating dog will blend right in at Miskatonic U. Or the Clover Club. It'll be fine.

ETA: oh my god Zoey is gonna strangle so many birds. Can't wait.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 17, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Fun fact - Zoey (who was originally introduced in a mid-run expansion for 2nd edition Arkham Horror) was based on the art director at Fantasy Flight at the time - both in name (just the first name, I think) and art.

(We used to play Arkham with her.)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

malkav11 posted:

Fun fact - Zoey (who was originally introduced in a mid-run expansion for 2nd edition Arkham Horror) was based on the art director at Fantasy Flight at the time - both in name (just the first name, I think) and art.

(We used to play Arkham with her.)

So did she demand artists respect their deadlines OR I'LL loving CUT YOU or what ? :)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

So did she demand artists respect their deadlines OR I'LL loving CUT YOU or what ? :)

I didn't work with her (though there was a time when it seemed like half the people I knew were getting hired by FFG), so that will remain a mystery.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

And off we go on our next adventure! There's actually two possible scenarios we can start off the campaign with, though both have to be completed before we can move on to the next one. In the spirit of the upcoming update, I flipped a coin and this is what we ended up with.

Incidentally, it's time to introduce a new thread rule: NO SPOILERS. Starting from this campaign onwards, the thread will get to vote on important campaign decisions, some of which may not have obvious outcomes until very far down the line, and I don't want to take away that moment of dawning realization, so please be careful about what you're giving away with regard to upcoming scenarios.

With all that said, let's begin!

"La Bella Luna". So we're supposed to meet her here, huh.

Woof!

I know, Duke. I don't like it either. We're being paid far too much just to pick up some drunken sod of a schoolteacher.

There's something that old man's not telling us, and once we find his man, I'm going to -

Heya.

Uh.

Oh good, was worried you got lost. So yeah, to get in you knock on the door three times and ask for 'Ma's daily special'. I used to work here, you know, until one day-

...you brought a sword?

Oh, this old thing? Purely ceremonial, but it impresses the high-society types. Anyway, you brought...

...uh, you brought a dog.

Duke's well-trained. And smart. I'm not going anywhere without him.

Speaking of which, I think he's picked up a scent. You go on ahead, I'll catch up later.

Righto. Don't catch your death of cold out here.

This scenario introduces the 'Aloof' keyword. Aloof enemies at your location will not engage you, and you cannot deal damage to them unless you engage them. This can be both a good and bad thing - while it gives you relative freedom to act around an Aloof enemy you don't want to fight, it slows you down with Engage actions against one you really want to get out of the way.

This scenario starts out with the same token setup in the chaos bag as the last campaign. In keeping with the 'gambling' theme, one of the special tokens gives you a hefty penalty but rewards you for success, another gives you a lighter penalty but punishes you for failure, and the last allows you to throw money at the problem to make it go away.

As a reminder, here are the two protagonists of our campaign. Zoey gets a free resource whenever engaging/engaged by an enemy, while Ashcan Pete starts with his dog in play.

He also starts with 2 less resources, thanks to his randomly chosen weakness. Indebted starts in play and, while annoying, ensures that he only has to worry about drawing his character-specific weakness. Plus, as a Survivor, he has more than a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to resources.

quote:

Round 1

Investigation Phase: Ashcan Pete's turn

Ashcan Pete spends 1 resource and plays Rabbit's Foot.

Ashcan Pete exhausts Duke, commits Perception and Investigates: 6 (-1) vs 2
Success! Ashcan Pete gains 1 clue and draws 1 card.

Ashcan Pete Investigates: 2 (autofail) vs 2
Failure! Ashcan Pete exhausts Rabbit's Foot and draws a card, then ends his turn.

Well, he was definitely here at some point. S'pose that's a start.

The Rabbit's Foot gives us a consolation card draw once per round, whenever a skill test is failed. Useful, but it takes up the accessory slot where you could just run a straight-up stat booster instead, so it's best run in scenarios with lighter penalties for failure.

quote:

Investigation Phase: Zoey's Turn.

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Enchanted Blade.

Zoey moves to the Clover Club Lounge.

Hey, aren't you the cook who stabbed -

Nope! You must be thinking of some other chef.

By the way, there's some drunken hobo scrabbling around in the dirt out there. Shouldn't you take a look at that?

Hmph. I'm keeping an eye on you.

You can see the main gimmick of the Clover Club here. La Bella Luna is the only location we can properly Investigate - the other locations require you to complete some other task and draw clues directly from the token bank.

The Pit Boss, on the other hand, will follow the investigator with the highest Intellect around thanks to his Hunter keyword. Since he's still Aloof, he won't engage them unless they gain clues, at which point he's had enough of their snooping and proceeds to engage/attack them regardless. Of course, retaliating against him still counts as damaging a Criminal enemy and will advance Agenda 1a.

Fortunately, since Zoey and Pete have the same lackluster Intellect, it's up to me to decide which one he feels like Hunting.

quote:

Zoey draws a card and ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: Clover Club Pit Boss moves to La Bella Luna.

Can I help you, my friend?

Ah! That's very kind of you, dear chap, but I'm fine. I simply dropped my, um, glasses somewhere around here.

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both Investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to Agenda. Doom Track: 1/4

Zoey draws Twist of Fate from the encounter deck.
Zoey draws '0' and takes 1 damage.

Ow! My leg!

quote:

Ashcan Pete draws O'Bannion's Thug. O'Bannion's Thug spawns at La Bella Luna.

Well, I'm sure Mr. Bruce here will be able to offer any help you need. Do let me know if there's any trouble, Bruce.

Oh no, that won't be necessary. I think I'll just head inside, don't need good eyesight to drink, ha ha.

Ha. Ha.

quote:

Investigation Phase: Zoey's Turn

Zoey discards Mr. Rook and gains 2 clues from the token bank.

Alright, let me know if you hear anything useful.

Assss you wisssh, my dear girl. But I warn you...the truth comes at a price. How much are you prepared to...sacrifice?

This is why no one likes you, Rook.

quote:

Zoey moves to the Clover Club Bar.

Hey, aren't you the cook who -

Nope, we've never met.

Now make with the good stuff, before Mr. Clover hears about that little stash you've got tucked away in that drawer to the left. Also, we've never met.

quote:

Zoey spends 2 resources, gains 2 clues from the token bank and draws 2 cards, then ends her turn.

Investigation Phase: Pete's turn.

Ashcan Pete plays Drawing Thin.

Probably the centerpiece of Pete's build. Drawing Thin gives 2 resources or 1 card draw once per round in exchange for a difficulty boost to an initiated skill test. Note that the free stuff doesn't come with any 'on success' or 'on failure' rider - we get it before the actual test, regardless of result.

quote:

Ashcan Pete plays Calling in Favors, returns Duke to his hand, searches his deck and plays Laboratory Assistant at no cost, then draws 2 cards.

Oh, there you are, Mr. Pete! Dr. Armitage asked me to deliver the-

I appreciate the assistance, lass, but this is hardly the time!

quote:

Ashcan Pete spends 2 resources and plays Duke, then ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: Clover Club Pit Boss moves into Clover Club Lounge.

Well, I had better get a move on. And so do you, "Mr. Pete".

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators gain 1 resource and draw a card.

Round 3

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/4

Zoey draws Arousing Suspicions and loses 2 resources.

Hey, weren't you the lady who stabbed-

You know, people keep mistaking me for her! It's very strange. Another drink? On me, of course.

quote:

Ashcan Pete draws Mobster. Mobster spawns at La Bella Luna.

A-hem.

I do believe we are rapidly exhausting our host's goodwill, Duke.

Woof!

quote:

Ashcan Pete spends 1 resource and plays Magnifying Glass.

Ashcan Pete exhausts Duke and Investigates. 5 (-1) vs 2
Success! Ashcan Pete gains 1 clue.

Ashcan Pete discards Overpower and readies Duke, then exhausts Duke and moves to Clover Club Lounge.

Ashcan Pete exhausts Drawing Thin and gains 2 resources, then commits Take Heart and Investigates.

With Take Heart and Rabbit's Foot, failing this test will give us 3 free draws and another 2 resources. Of course, there's a chance Pete could pass, but with the boosted difficulty from Drawing Thin I'm sure -

quote:

Success! Ashcan Pete gains 0 clues and readies Duke.

Ashcan Pete moves to Clover Club Cardroom and ends his turn.

Can you track him, Duke?

Rrrr...

Not here, huh? Guess we'll have to keep looking.

quote:

Zoey gains 2 resources.

Zoey spends 1 resource, plays Zoey's Cross and ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: Clover Club Pit Boss moves to Clover Club Bar.

And how are you enjoying your drinks, Miss Samaras?

I told y'all, that washn't me! Beshides, I only stabbed the one - uh...

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators gain 1 resource and draw a card.

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom placed on Agenda. Doom Track: 3/4

Zoey draws Something in the Drinks from the Encounter Deck and loses 1 action.

Something in the Drinks surges into Mobster. Mobster spawns at Clover Club Bar.

We have tolerated your presence this evening as a customer, and a well-paying customer, at that. However, the night is getting late.

Fine, fine, a girl can take a hint. Lemme jusht pick up my buddy Pete and we'll be on our way.

quote:

Ashcan Pete draws Arousing Suspicions and loses 2 resources.

Hey, you here to watch or you here to play? This ain't a tourist zone.

Oh, uh...deal me in, mate?

quote:

Ashcan Pete exhausts Drawing Thin, gains 2 resources, commits Take Heart and investigates: 3 (-2 from skull) vs 5
Failure! Ashcan Pete draws 2 cards and gains 2 resources, then exhausts Rabbit's Foot and draws another card.

Ashcan Pete spends 2 resources and draws a random token (+1). Nothing happens.

We're running out of time. Ready to take a chance, Duke?

Woof!

quote:

Ashcan Pete spends 2 resources and draws a random token (Skull).
Ashcan Pete "cheats" and treats the token as an Elder Sign.
Ashcan Pete gains 2 resources and 2 clues from the token bank, then ends his turn.

The investigators have 8 clues! Act 1a advances.

You found his scent? Good work, Duke!

Hey! Get your drat mutt away from that door! That's for important customers only!

quote:

Investigation Phase: Zoey's turn.

Zoey moves to the Clover Club Cardroom.

Zoey plays Emergency Cache and gains 3 resources, then ends her turn.

Peeeete, old buddy! Lissen, we gotta get outta here. I think they're onta us, and-

What? Duke just found a solid lead. I'm not going anywhere.

quote:

Enemy Phase: Clover Club Pit Boss moves to Clover Club Cardroom.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 5

Mythos Phase:

1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 4/4

All doom removed from play. Agenda 1a advances.

I think you've had enough for one night, Miss Samaras. Don't you think it's getting late?

I'm done when I say I'm done! We came here to get, uh...

Dr. Morgan.

-right, Mr. Norgan, and we're not leaving here until we find him!

quote:

Clover Club Pit Boss engages Zoey. Zoey gains 1 resource, exhausts Zoey's Cross, spends 1 resource and deals Clover Club Pit Boss 1 damage.

Zoey draws Cursed Luck from the encounter deck.

Ashcan Pete draws Cursed Luck from the encounter deck.

Limbs feel...heavy. What did you do to us?

Did you really think you could challenge us, here of all places? We have power far beyond-

You think your little magics frighten me? I'll show you power!

quote:

Investigation Phase: Zoey's turn

Zoey commits Daring and Vicious Blow, then spends 1 Enchanted Blade charge and Fights Clover Club Pit Boss. 10 (-0) vs 3
Success! 3 damage dealt to Clover Club Pit Boss. Clover Club Pit Boss defeated and Cursed Luck discarded.

RAAAARGH!

Goddamn!

quote:

Zoey moves into the Darkened Hallway. O'Bannion's Thug engages Zoey.

No visitors allow- hey, aren't you-

OUT OF MY WAY!

quote:

Zoey commits Let Me Handle This, spends 1 Enchanted Blade charge and Fights O'Bannion's Thug. 7 (-3 from Cultist) vs 4
Success! O'Bannion's Thug defeated. Zoey gains 3 resources and ends her turn.

Investigation Phase: Pete's Turn

Ashcan Pete moves into Darkened Hall.

Uh, you okay?

Yes, my headache is clearing up wonderfully. Whatever was in those drinks seems to be wearing off.

Not what I meant, but okay. Where to, Duke?

Woof!

quote:

Ashcan Pete exhausts Duke and moves into Back Hall Doorway (West).

Good thinking, pal. An escape route could come in pretty handy after this night's events.

quote:

Ashcan Pete investigates: 4 (-0) vs 1
Success! Ashcan Pete picks up 1 clue and discards Cursed Luck.

Ashcan Pete discards Calling in Favors and readies Duke, then exhausts Duke and Investigates: 5 (-0) vs 1
Success! Ashcan Pete picks up 1 clue and ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: No Hunter enemies. All enemies remain in place.

Round 6

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/3

Zoey draws Twist of Fate from the encounter deck.
(Elder Sign!) Zoey takes no damage.

Ashcan Pete draws Twist of Fate from the encounter deck.
(0). Lab Assistant takes 1 damage and is discarded.

Ow! My leg!

Whoa! Quite forgot you were still here. You okay?

I'll be fine, thanks. I should probably head back to the university, though.

quote:

Investigation Phase: Pete's turn

Ashcan Pete moves to Darkened Hall.

Ashcan Pete exhausts Duke and moves to Back Hall Doorway (South).

Ooh. Don't think he's here, but it can't hurt to look around.

quote:

Ashcan Pete investigates: 5(-2) vs 2
Success! Ashcan Pete gains 1 clue.

Ashcan Pete discards Guts and readies Duke, then exhausts Duke and Investigates: 5(-1) vs 2
Success! Ashcan Pete gains 1 clue and ends his turn.

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Meat Cleaver.

Zoey moves to Back Door Hallway (Southwest).

Oh! Uh, don't mind me, just keep playing.

Huh. They usually don't actually go along with that.

quote:

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Something Worth Fighting For, then ends her turn.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Ashcan Pete draws a card and gains a resource.

Round 7

Mythos Phase:

1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/3

Zoey draws Arousing Suspicions from the encounter deck and loses 2 resources.

...hey...

Y-yes?

...you here to watch...or...you here to play? This ain't a...tourist zone...

quote:

Ashcan Pete draws Swarm of Rats. Swarm of Rats engages Pete.

Argh! Horrid little creatures.

Woof!

Duke, no! Save your strength. I can handle these things on my own.

quote:

Ashcan Pete Fights Swarm of Rats: 2 (+2 from Elder Sign) vs 1
Success! Swarm of Rats defeated.

Ashcan Pete moves to Darkened Hall.

A successful investigation would pick up only 1 clue. It's time for a gamble.

quote:

Ashcan Pete exhausts Duke, moves to VIP Area, exhausts Drawing Thin, gains 2 resources and Investigates: 5 (-2) vs 5
Failure! Ashcan Pete spends 2 resources, plays Look What I found! and gains 2 clues.

Success! Or should that be Failure? Whatever works for you.

quote:

Ashcan Pete spends 4 clues to advance Act 2a and ends his turn.

This our man, Duke?

Woof!

He appears to be in some kind of trance, just like the rest. We'll have to snap him out of it.

quote:

Ashcan Pete commits Rabbit's Foot and Zoey tests Willpower (3). 5 (-4) vs 3
Failure! Nothing happens.

Ashcan Pete commits A Chance Encounter and Zoey tests Willpower (3). 5 (-2 from skull) vs 3
Success! 1 clue placed on Dr. Morgan.

Zoey commits Inspiring Presence and tests Willpower (3). 5 (-1) vs 3
Success! 1 clue placed on Dr. Morgan. Zoey takes control of Dr. Morgan and ends her turn.

Whuh- what? What's going on? Where am I?

Oh good, you're awake. I was going to try stabbing if that didn't work.

Believe me, she's not kidding.

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Neither investigator can draw a card or gain a resource due to the VIP lounge.

Round 8

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 3/3
Agenda 2a advances. All doom removed from play.

AAAAAAAAH!

Good lord, what is going on out there?

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. Come on, I found a back door we can escape through.

Aww. The night was just starting to get fun.

quote:

Zoey draws Swarm of Rats from the encounter deck. Swarm of Rats engages Zoey.
Zoey gains 1 resource, spends 1 resource, exhausts Zoey's Cross and deals 1 damage to Swarm of Rats. Swarm of Rats defeated.

Ashcan Pete draws Rotting Remains and tests Willpower (3). 4(-1) vs 3
Success! No horror taken.

Ashcan Pete moves to Darkened Hallway, then to Back Alley.

Ashcan Pete Resigns.

Come on, let's get you back to the university. There's something that old man was hiding, and I'm going to find out exactly what it is.

Woof!

quote:

Investigation Phase: Zoey's turn.

Zoey moves to Darkened Hallway, then to Back Alley.

Zoey Resigns.

Act 3a advances.

quote:

Resolution 2: "What in the world...?" Dr. Morgan finally breaks out of his daze as you make your way to safety. You ask him what he remembers, and he sputters and shakes his head. "It's all a haze," he explains, visibly exhausted. "I was having the run of my life! Perhaps I had one too many shots. But, those creatures - I haven't seen anything like that since..." He trails off, and you can tell that his mind is racing. His eyes widen with realization and his face pales. "I may not be in the best shape, but I'll help with your investigation. Whatever it takes."

- In your Campaign Log, record that the O'Bannion gang has a bone to pick with the investigators.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators rescued Dr. Francis Morgan.. Any one investigator may choose to add Dr. Francis Morgan to his or her deck. This card does not count toward that investigator's deck size.

- If any player 'cheated', add 1 Elder Thing token to the chaos bag for the remainder of the campaign.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

- Proceed to Scenario 1-A: Extracurricular Activity.

We earned 4 Victory points - 1 for defeating the Pit Boss and 3 for clearing out all the Backroom Locations. The Dunwich Legacy is a little stingy with them, so every little bit helps. Next will probably be a deckbuilding/upgrading side update, followed by a return to Miskatonic University for some...Extracurricular Activities.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Would his name happen to be Dr. Francis York Morgan? No-one seems to call him York, though.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Huh. I'd never seen that Meat Cleaver. I like a Team's Signature Psycho weapon :). Also, getting hosed sideways by an Elder Sign is a pretty pro LP move. And adding a campaign-long Bad Token from the get go ? Ooof.

Still, your run went a lot cleaner than ours did - we did the Club first as well, but all the mobsters chose to spawn in the VIP area ; which while thematic meant we had to murder them while investigating. Also none of us cheated, but we *all* got good and sloshed. Guess when the spiked drinks came into effect ? So the first wave of abominations got to us too, and we escaped on our last legs.

I'm interested to see your Pete deck, it seems so very different from mine. You actually have Resources ? The hell ?! :)

ETA : Heh, also I'd never noticed that Morgan had the tag "Professor of Archaeology". Teaches a very hands-on class, doesn't he ? But you know his students never *ever* deliver their due papers late. At least, not twice.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 19, 2020

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Where did the pit boss come from? Is he part of the initial setup, because I didn't see when you drew him or an effect spawning him.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

mr_stibbons posted:

Where did the pit boss come from? Is he part of the initial setup, because I didn't see when you drew him or an effect spawning him.

Yes, the Pit Boss is part of the initial setup and spawned in the Clover Club Lounge.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

mr_stibbons posted:

Yeah he's the first part's sole "difficulty" - at that point "monsters" are encounter deck freebies and your only quest is to play the various minigames until you win ; the only question is "will someone have to cheat before the Doom Clock procs". Pit boss makes your life marginally more difficult by not letting you draw clues from one location ; although he's pretty easy to lure out - just have your designated smart person go someplace remote ; next turn everyone else can do the things somewhere else. And since he doesn't engage, even DSP can do stuff on their turn.

ETA : thread, are you down with bird murder ? Because there's about to be a lot of bird murder ! (is that a spoiler ?)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2020

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Would his name happen to be Dr. Francis York Morgan? No-one seems to call him York, though.

I see someone else had the same thought I did when I saw that name. Anyways, it seems like you got through this scenario well. I guess we will see how things go in the other ones.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kobal2 posted:

I'm interested to see your Pete deck, it seems so very different from mine. You actually have Resources ? The hell ?! :)

Just playing to the audience's request to see a hobo solve crimes, I'm sure. Now if we had all asked for a tramp or a bum...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Guy Who Has a Dog" is the best character class.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

megane posted:

"Guy Who Has a Dog" is the best character class.

Going by action ratio, it's really "Dog Who Has a Guy" :)

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Deckbuilding Update #2

Zoey Samaras

With a 4/2/4/2 statline and 9 health/6 sanity, Zoey is reasonably tanky and can stand up to the rigors of the encounter deck quite handily, but can't investigate or evade worth a drat. Her main limitation is her deckbuilding - 5 level 0 cards of other classes doesn't give her a lot of room to build on her non-Guardian side, and her polarized statline makes her fairly one-dimensional. Still, 'really good at monster hunting' is hardly the worst problem to have.

Signature

Zoey's Cross: An incredibly powerful signature item. One damage per round may not seem like much, but guaranteed, testless damage counts for a lot, and being able to immediately swat down annoying 1-HP enemies never gets old. Locks up her accessory slot, though, so no stat boosters in that slot for her.

Weaknesses

Smite the Wicked: Zoey's signature weakness, and boy is it a troublesome one. Pull it early and it's not too bad - crossing the map is generally what you want to do anyway. Pull it late, and it's near-guaranteed mental trauma - a slog through hostile territory and back while racing the doom clock is rarely worth it.

Note that Smite the Wicked is discarded regardless of which investigator defeats/discards the enemy - apparently Zoey's god is a very results-oriented deity.

Psychosis: The random weakness we drew this game. Not too bad of a weakness - Zoey has more health than she does horror, and can tank the effects of leaving this in play for a round or two if necessary.

Weapons

Enchanted Blade: A +1 Combat beatstick with 3 charges, each of which can be spent once per attack for an additional +1 Combat/damage. As both a Guardian and Mystic weapon, it can be taken by either class. Decent, though once it's out of charges it's a fairly average weapon. Takes up both a hand slot and an Arcane slot, but Zoey has nothing else competing for that Arcane slot so that's not an issue.

Incidentally, it hasn't come up yet, but an asset that runs out of charges/ammo/etc. is not discarded - it just keeps sitting there on your tableau, being useless until refilled. They can be overriden by playing another asset over that slot, though, and if returned to your hand and replayed, will enter play fully recharged.

Meat Cleaver: A Survivor weapon that allows us to adjust our Sanity up or down as necessary (provided there's enough enemies around to make constant use of it). A Machete would probably be better in most cases, but I couldn't resist the chance to stay on-theme for Zoey. Unfortunately, it comes at a high price, taking up two valuable off-class slots for an asset with better options in her base faction.

Survival Knife: Gives Zoey something to do with her other hand. As a 'main' weapon it's not great, but a free counterattack gives it excellent utility as a sub weapon. As we'll see later Zoey has a lot of tools for directing hostility towards herself, so this should see a decent amount of use. Note that the 'deals damage' clause applies even if you redirect that damage onto one of your allies (but not if an enemy's attack only deals Horror).

Allies

Beat Cop: As before, gives us +1 Combat and can tank some damage/horror in an emergency.

Mr. Rook: At first glance, Mr. Rook might seem fairly straightforward - potentially massive searching capabilities, but push your luck too far and you draw a weakness. However, on many investigators this 'downside' is in fact a straight-up advantage - a lot of investigators prefer getting their weakness out earlier than later so they can get rid of it before the scenario really starts ramping up, and Zoey is no exception. Mr. Rook thus makes for an excellent early-game ally - pull out three cards you need, hopefully clear out your weakness while at it, then clear him out for a more useful ally.

Other Assets

Something Worth Fighting For: Slotless horror soak is very handy, particularly if we're going to be playing around with the Meat Cleaver. We're going to be sticking fairly close to Pete, so he can make good use of it too.

Events

Let Me Handle This/Heroic Rescue: Similar in function - snatch an encounter card from Pete and either get a bonus to resolving it, or a free point of damage against an enemy.

Scene of the Crime: So Zoey can pull at least some weight in the cluefinding department if necessary. Not the best 'free clues' event, but we used up all our non-Guardian slots so this is the best we can do in-faction.

Elusive: An amazing level 0 rogue event, useful on just about any investigator that can take it. Elusive lets you straight-up teleport around the map, with the added bonus of being able to pull yourself out of a hairy situation. While there's rarely a bad time to use them, these are mostly for helping Zoey deal with her signature weakness - one for getting her to the furthest location, and one for the return journey.

Emergency Aid: A dedicated monster-fighter is going to be worn down over time, so healing will come in handy in longer scenarios.

Emergency Cache: In case we need to get one of our more expensive cards out, before Zoey's inbuilt economy engine really has time to ramp up.

Dynamite Blast: Boom! Not the most practical event in many cases, but extremely satisfying to pull off, and if enemies have been building up, Zoey should be able to afford it.

Skills

Overpower: The standard 'hitting things' generic skill.

Vicious Blow: Ditto.

Inspiring Presence: Ally healing is always handy, and it can be used on Pete's allies too.

Daring: Another risk/reward card, but the risk is fairly low - a +3 attack rarely fails, and has basically no downside if played against an enemy that already has Retaliate.

Upgrading

Removed: 2 Beat Cop, 1 Scene of the Crime

Added: 1 Beat Cop (2), 1 Ever Vigilant, 1 Ace of Swords

Beat Cop (2): Similar to the basic Beat Cop, but we can actually leverage the free damage now that it doesn't require discarding the Beat Cop, and we can heal him up with Emergency Aid or Inspiring Presence.

Ace of Swords: Tarot cards were added in The Circle Undone and take up the unique Tarot slot (of which we only have one). There's one for every class and they're fairly similar - 3 cost, stat boost to your main stat (survivors get +1 health/sanity on theirs instead) and a free play if you get them in your opening hand. Zoey's economy is good enough that it's still worth playing even late-game, though, and +1 Combat never hurts.

Ever Vigilant: Saves a lot of Play actions and resources if you get it early, though it'll be more useful down the line when we pick up Stick to the Plan to guarantee it in our opening hand.

Dr. Francis Morgan (but call him York, everyone does): We saved him in the last scenario, so Zoey gets to include him in her deck now. +1 Combat and a bit cheaper than the Beat Cop, but without the free damage. Either one works for our purposes.

Ashcan Pete

Pete is the designated investigator of the team, pretty much by default. This is kind of an experimental deck that focuses on colossal draw power, as well as building around an ally that we haven't seen yet.

Signature

Duke: A good doggo who deserves all the treats.

Weaknesses

Indebted: One of the easier weaknesses to work around. Would be a lot worse on Zoey, but the low-cost cards of Survivors means the one-time loss of 2 resources is barely an issue.

Wracked By Nightmares: Pretty much just makes you lose a turn. As far as signature weaknesses go, you could do a lot worse.

Assets

Magnifying Glass: +1 to investigation. Since we don't have any other hand slot items, we can run both at once if necessary.

Drawing Thin: One of the major Survivor game-changers. Drawing Thin can be activated at the start of any skill test for free resources/cards, but boosts the difficulty of the test by 2. This isn't even necessarily a downside - as you saw last scenario, you can really leverage the 'on-failure' Survivor cards to take advantage of a test you know you have no chance of passing. Both copies stack, so you can activate both for a +4 boost to test difficulty in exchange for any combination of resources/cards you require.

Track Shoes: First off, free +1 Agility, so that's handy. Secondly and more importantly, provides us with a free skill test every turn with a low penalty for failure - you just don't get a free move. Thus, we can crank up the difficulty for free Drawing Thin boosts if we don't need the move, or commit extra Agility if we do. Pete can also reset it with his ability, in case we really need to blitz across the map as fast as possible.

Rabbit's Foot: Additional card draw on failure, and since we can literally guarantee failure with Drawing Thin, we can proc its effects fairly often.

Allies

Laboratory Assistant: Card draw on entry, some health/sanity soak, and a boost to hand size. Part of a combo we're setting up.

Events

"Look What I found!": 2 clue events are always useful, and since we can only play it when the triggering condition is met, there's no way to 'waste' this card on an unsuccessful play.

Live and Learn/Lucky: Basically fill the same role - making the best out of a failed skill test. Live and Learn is for skill tests with low penalties for failure (such as Investigating), while Lucky! is for tests that we really want to pass on our first try (such as fighting/evading/etc.) As with Look What I Found, the cards are only played when their triggering condition is met, so compared to skill cards there's no chance of wasting them on an autofail.

A Chance Encounter/Calling in favors: Part of an ally-focused combo this deck is built around. For now, Calling in Favors lets us pull Duke back in our hand for a full heal, and hopefully we get a free Lab Assistant play out of it. A Chance Encounter lets us recycle those Lab Assistants once we've used them up for their soak, and if we want to be fancy we can also nab Rook from Zoey's discard for one free search.

Skills

Guts/Overpower/Perception/Manual Dexterity: The usual deck-fillers. Pete's more of an all-rounder than Zoey, so he runs all of them.

Inspiring Presence: Heals + readies Duke, for a potential 3 Duke uses in one turn.

Resourceful: Recursion is always handy, though we can only use it on Survivor cards. Still, that gives us more than enough targets to work with.

Take Heart: Handy if we know for a fact we're going to fail - which, thanks to Drawing Thin, is something we can guarantee.

Upgrading

Removed: 1 Manual Dexterity

Added: 1 Charisma, 1 Miss Doyle

Charisma: Ally slots are very handy, and +1 Ally slot rarely goes to waste on any investigator that can take it.

MISS DOYLE, CAT GENERAL OF ULTHAR: is going to take some explaining, but first, let's take a look at her Bonded cards. Bonded cards are a fairly recent addition to the game, and usually come in the form of [main asset] + [bonded cards]. The bonded cards are set aside at the start of the game, and when the main asset enters play, are usually shuffled into your deck/added to your hand. If the main asset leaves play for any reason, the bonded cards are all removed from your deck/hand/discard until the main asset comes into play once more.

By herself, Miss Doyle provides no particular bonus, but let's take a look at her feline commandos.

Hope, Zeal and Augur are mutually exclusive 1-cost Fast allies with a similar effect to Duke - spend 1 action, exhaust them and you get to Fight/Investigate/Evade with a boost to base 5 in the relevant stat. Unlike Duke, you can discard the cat in question to automatically succeed at the test (regardless of difficulty), then shuffle it back in your deck to replay another cat from the discard pile.

In light of this, Ashcan Pete's deck should hopefully make a bit more sense: use his colossal draw power to get Miss Doyle and the cats into your hand quickly, and use his innate ability to reset the cats + get them into the discard for later recursion, with Calling in Favors and A Chance Encounter allowing us to pull them directly from our deck/discard. I haven't yet tried running a Cats deck with Pete yet, so we'll see how that works out down the line.

With that, all our XP is spent. Let's hope our upgrades are enough to handle some...Extracurricular Activity.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks to this LP, I got the spur to motivate a new campaign out of my group ! So far we've burned down a theatre, a swanky party, thrown dynamite into a library and refused to talk to the police about any of it (despite the 4 beat cops following us around on and off).
We're investigators. You can tell.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is the cat thing because they sleep all the time and are therefore the rulers of the dreamlands?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nah, it's because cats are the one thing Lovecraft was not afraid of - he was actually quite fond of them even if he gave them horrible names.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Robindaybird posted:

Nah, it's because cats are the one thing Lovecraft was not afraid of - he was actually quite fond of them even if he gave them horrible names.

Which is weird in and of itself - I mean, who's scarier, the average cat, or the average New Englander ?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Imagine I posted that clip from Ghostbusters, about how you know it is the apocalypse because of x, y, and dogs and cats living together.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
As a fan of A Night in the Lonesome October, I heartily approve of this Dog/Cat team-up investigation.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Hehe, so we will being throwing the cats at the cultists. Hurrah!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Found anything yet?

...no?

It's a wide-open field. What's there to find here? What you see is what you get.

Dunno, figured that mutt of yours might have picked something up.

Woof!

The best we can do is 'he was here at some point during the day'. That's not a lot to go on.

Guess we'd better head inside, then. Time to load up.

Did you bring your -

-yes, you brought your sword.

I just like having the sword around, okay? It relaxes me.

And a knife too, I see.

I like knives.

I can tell.

Aside from not being able to get Ace of Swords for the free play, this is about as good as opening hands get - three assets we want to get into play, and Ever Vigilant to save two play actions and 3 resources.

And you brought - is that your cat?

Wha- oh hello there, Miss Doyle.

Meow!

No, she's not my cat. She just comes and goes whenever she pleases.

We'll be sneaking around a campus in the middle of the night with a dog and a cat. Wonderful.

You're hardly equipped for sneaking, yourself.

Getting Miss Doyle in hand on our first turn is handy, given that we've only got one copy of her in our deck - saves a bit of time digging her out.

The full campus - as viewed from the Miskatonic Quad, anyway. Even with just these starting locations in play, it's significantly larger than the Clover Club.

The starting Agenda gives us a nice long 7-Doom track, though whether it's actually as forgiving as that remains to be seen. The starting Act requires 6 clues to flip but comes with no other conditions for activation, allowing the team to flip it from any location once we have the clues.

The setup card for this scenario. Sharp-eyed readers might start noticing a theme here.

quote:

Round 1

Investigation Phase - Zoey's Turn

Zoey plays Ever Vigilant and spends 2 resources to play Enchanted Blade, 1 resource to play Survival Knife and 0 resources to play Zoey's Cross.

Zoey moves to the Science Building.

Huh. Didn't realize science involved quite so many...dripping green things. And is that an...Alchemy Lab?

Unfortunately, the mysterious Alchemy Lab is locked right now, so we can't go there.

quote:

Zoey draws a card. That card was Smite the Wicked! Zoey discards Yithian Observer from the encounter deck, attaches Smite the Wicked to it and spawns it at the Humanities Building, then ends her turn.

Let me take a look at-

Hark!

What?

we're being watched.

I can't see anyone around here. Duke's not picking anything up either.

Just trust me on this one, okay? You stay here, I'll go take care of it.

quote:

Investigation Phase - Pete's Turn

Pete moves to the Science Building.

Pete plays Drawing Thin.

Pete commits Take Heart, exhausts Drawing Thin and investigates: 2 (-2) vs 4
Failure! Pete draws 2 cards and gains 2 resources.

Pete ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: All enemies remain in their current position.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain 1 resource.

quote:

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/7

Zoey draws Offer of Power.

Is it strength you desire? The power to crush enemies beneath your heel? I can-

Uh-

Tempt me not, foul demon!

quote:

Zoey rejects the offer and takes 2 horror.

Pete draws Arcane Barrier. Arcane Barrier attaches to the Science Building.

I think you made it upset.

You can't negotiate with a demon! That's how they get you.

quote:

Pete spends 3 resources and plays Miss Doyle.
Pete puts Zeal in play and shuffles Hope and Augur into his deck.

Pete exhausts Duke, commits Resourceful and investigates: 5 (-1 from skull) vs 2
Success! Pete gains 1 clue and returns Take Heart to his hand.

Pete discards Overpower and readies Duke, then exhausts Duke and investigates: 4 (-1 from Cultist) vs 2
Success! Pete gains 1 clue and ends his turn.

Where the hell did you get all these cats?

Oh, they're not mine. Miss Doyle lends them to her chosen-

Forget I asked.

quote:

Zoey attempts to move to Miskatonic Quad and tests Willpower (4). Pete commits Take Heart. 4(-1) vs 4
Failure! Zoey takes 1 damage from the Science Lab's effect and cancels the move, then draws 2 cards and gains 2 resources.

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Ace of Swords.

Zoey commits 2 Let me Handle This and attempts to move to Miskatonic Quad again. 6 (-2) vs 4
Success! Arcane Barrier discarded and Zoey moves to Miskatonic Quad, then ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: All enemies remain in place.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain 1 resource.

quote:

Round 3

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom track: 2/7

Zoey draws Terror from Beyond.
Zoey chooses 'skill'. Both investigators have no skill cards in their hand. Nothing discarded.

A WIZARD JUST TRIED TO MUG ME.

Are you okay?

No! A portal in space opened up and tried to rob me! Who does that?

In case you haven't realized yet, the theme of the Dunwich Legacy is 'discards'. A lot of common encounter cards will aggressively attack your deck and force discards, before hitting you with a punishment proportionate to the size of your discard. Fortunately, the only innate penalty for decking out entirely is taking one horror when you reshuffle your discard back into your deck.

quote:

Pete draws Whippoorwill. Whippoorwill spawns at Science Labs.

Woof!

I agree, that is a remarkably annoying bird.

The most common time-waster in Dunwich. Aloof + Hunter means it'll follow us around without actually engaging, so most investigators will have to waste at least two actions to clear it out (engaging + attacking).

quote:

Zoey moves to Humanities Building.
Yithian Observer engages Zoey. Zoey spends 1 resource, exhausts Zoey's Cross and deals 1 damage to Yithian Observer.

<Be not afraid, human. I am but a humble observer, here to->

Die, evildoer!

quote:

Zoey commits Vicious Blow, spends 1 Enchanted Blade charge and attacks Yithian Observer. 8(-2) vs 4
Success! 3 damage dealt to Yithian Observer. Yithian Observer added to the Victory Display and Smite the Wicked discarded.

Zoey moves to Orne Library and ends her turn.

I have defeated a great evil this day.

Please tell me you didn't kill a security guard.

I'm reasonably sure I didn't!

quote:

Pete moves to Miskatonic Quad.

Pete exhausts Duke, moves to Humanities Building and investigates: 4(-1 from skull) vs 3
Success! Pete gains 1 clue.

Pete discards Hope, readies Duke, exhausts Duke and investigates: 4 (-1) vs 3
Success! Pete gains 1 clue and ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: Whippoorwill moves to Miskatonic Quad.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 doom added to the agenda. Doom Track: 3/7

Zoey draws Thrall. Thrall spawns at Orne Library and engages Zoey.

Zoey gains 1 resource, exhausts Zoey's Cross, spends 1 resource and deals 1 damage to Thrall.

I bear you no malice. But my lord has demanded your destruction. I am but a humble servant.

Funny, I was just about to say the same to you.

quote:

Pete draws Visions of Future Past and tests Willpower (5). 4(-1 from skull) vs 5
Pete spends 1 resource and plays Lucky! for a +2 boost to Willpower. No cards discarded.

Ugh!

Woof!

Thanks, Duke, I'll be fine. It's just my dreams acting up again.

quote:

Zoey Fights Thrall with Enchanted Blade. 6(-0) vs 2
Success! Thrall defeated.

Zoey draws 2 cards and ends her turn.

Pete spends 1 resource and plays Magnifying Glass.

Pete exhausts Duke and Investigates: 5(-1) vs 3

Pete plays Laboratory Assistant and draws 2 cards.

Oh, hello again, Mr. Pete. Looking for Professor Rice?

That I am. Would you happen to have seen him, lass?

Afraid not. No one's seen him all day.

quote:

Pete exhausts Drawing Thin and gains 2 resources, then commits Take Heart and investigates. 2(-4) vs 3
Failure! Pete gains 2 resources and draws 2 cards, then ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: Whippoorwill moves to Orne Library.

quote:

Round 5

Mythos Phase:

1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 4/7

Zoey draws Wizard of Yog-Sothoth. Wizard of Yog-Sothoth engages Zoey.

Zoey gains 1 resource, then exhausts Zoey's Cross, spends 1 resource and deals 1 damage to Wizard of Yog-Sothoth.

The tome we seek is not here. I suspect- wait, you're not...

I'm afraid your assistant will be somewhat fatally delayed. Don't worry, you'll be seeing them soon enough!

quote:

Ashcan Pete draws Pushed into the Beyond.
Ashcan Pete chooses Lab Assistant and shuffles her into his deck, then discards the top 3 cards of his deck.

No Lab Assistants were discarded. No horror was taken.

Hey, watch out for that por-

AAAAAaaaaaaaaa...

-tal.

quote:

Zoey commits Overpower, then spends 1 Enchanted Blade charge and Fights Wizard of Yog-Sothoth. 8 (-1 from Skull) vs 4
Success! Wizard of Yog-Sothoth added to the Victory Display.

Zoey engages Whippoorwill, then Fights Whippoorwill. 6(-1) vs 1
Success! Whippoorwill defeated. Zoey ends her turn.

Hey, that annoying bird finally shut up. That's nice.

Hmm? Oh, so it did. Didn't notice.

quote:

Pete spends 1 resource and plays Magnifying Glass.

Pete plays Drawing Thin.

Pete exhausts Duke and Investigates: 6(-3) vs 3

Pete plays Rabbit's Foot and ends his turn.

The investigators spend 6 clues. Act 1a advances.

quote:

Encounter deck shuffled. 'Jazz' Mulligan shuffled into Encounter deck.

Enemy Phase: No enemies in play.

quote:

Round 6

Mythos Phase:

1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 5/7

Zoey draws Terror from Beyond.

Zoey chooses Assets and discards Mr. Rook and Meat Cleaver.

My knife! What is with all these thieving wizards around here?

quote:

Pete draws Light of Aforgomon.

Pete attaches Light of Aforgomon to the current Agenda.

That light...it's not casting a shadow. Something's wrong.

This can be annoying, but we only have a couple more rounds before it goes away, and Zoey doesn't have any soaks in play anyway.

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke, moves to Miskatonic Quad, exhausts both copies of Drawing Thin, draws 2 cards and investigates: 6 (-1) vs 7
Failure! Pete exhausts Rabbit's Foot and draws another card.

Pete discards Calling in Favors, readies Duke, then exhausts Duke, moves to Student Union and investigates. 6 (-1) vs 1

As with the Alchemy Labs, the Dormitories are locked and cannot be entered for now.

quote:

Pete spends 1 clue and discards the top 5 cards of the encounter deck.
"Jazz" Mulligan was among them! "Jazz" Mulligan spawns at the Student Union.

Pete ends his turn.

We got lucky there - getting Jazz to show up can be a real time-waster, particularly if you've already scooped up all the clues from easy locations.

quote:

Zoey moves to Miskatonic Quad, then to the Student Union.

Zoey draws a card and ends her turn.

What? Who are you two? What's going on?

Calm down, sir. We're agents of-

Uh, maybe you should stop waving your knife at him. Also, why are you covered with blue blood and feathers?

Long story.

quote:

Enemy Phase: No enemies in play.

Upkeep Phase: All assets ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

quote:

Round 7

Mythos Phase:

1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 6/7

Zoey draws Arcane Barrier. Arcane Barrier attaches to Student Union.

Pete draws Arcane Barrier. Arcane Barrier attaches to Student Union.'

FOR gently caress'S SAKE.

Wow, they really do not want us getting out of this room.

What the hell have you two been up to?

quote:

Pete commits A Chance Encounter and attempts to Parley with "Jazz" Mulligan. 3(-0) vs 3
Success! Pete takes control of "Jazz" Mulligan. Act 2a advances.

Look, I don't know what you two have been up to, but I won't have any part of it. If you think-

SKREEEEEE!

What was that?

Oh god. I think it's...The Experiment.

The what now?

Alright, I'll let you guys into wherever you need to go, but you have to help me out here! If we don't get the students to safety, this thing will slaughter them all!

What? Why do you people have something like that on school grounds?

Well, no one was supposed to resurrect it until Tuesday.

What is WRONG with this school?

And with that, we gain control of 'Jazz' Mulligan. His passive ability effectively boils down to 'you can enter locked locations' (because he has all the keys, of course).

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke and attempts to move to the Dormitories.

Pete commits Guts and tests Willpower (4). 6(-1) vs 4
One Arcane Barrier discarded!

Pete tests Willpower (4). 4(-0) vs 4
One Arcane Barrier discarded! Pete moves to the Dormitories.

Here, help me fire up the alarm system. We can evacuate the students once they're awake.

Uh...why does your fire alarm system involve a sliding tile puzzle? And what looks like half a boat?

Best not to ask about how anything in this building works, or why. The last three people who did disappeared.

quote:

Pete investigates the Dormitories. 6(-1) vs 1
Success! Pete picks up 1 clue.

Pete discards Track Shoes and readies Duke, then commits Track Shoes and Investigates. 6(-4) vs 1
Success! Pete picks up 1 clue and ends his turn.

RAAAAARGH!

Seems to me like it would be a lot quicker to just put this thing down permanently. What if I just popped over and-

No can do. It's still locked in the Alchemy Labs, and I'm not letting the damned thing out on my watch.

Just help us push this tile over to that side, okay? You can probably manage that much.

Fine.

At this point, the Alchemy Labs are still 'locked', and only the bearer of 'Jazz' Mulligan can open that door. Of course, Pete would very much not prefer to do that, so Zoey's bloodlust will have to go unsated for the time being.

The Alchemical Concoction spawns only if you've completed The House Always Wins first, and provides a massive one-time boost to taking down The Experiment. It's not exactly a freebie though - we can't see it from this side, but a shroud 5 Investigate check has to be passed before an investigator at the Alchemy Labs can successfully claim the Concoction.

quote:

Zoey moves to the Dormitories.

Zoey investigates: 2(+1) vs 1
Success! Zoey gains 1 clue.

Zoey commits Emergency Aid and investigates: 3(-2) vs 1
Success! Zoey gains 1 clue and ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: All enemies remain in place.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw 1 card and gain 1 resource.

See? That wasn't so bad, was it?

Eh. Are we done here?

Almost. Just need to spin that big wheel over there while chanting the - wait, let me check the runes again.

quote:

Round 8

Mythos Phase:

1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom track: 7/7

All doom removed. Agenda 1a advances!

quote:

Zoey has 9 cards in her discard. Zoey takes 1 horror.

Pete has 13 cards in his discard. Pete takes 2 horror.

The Experiment moves to the Science Building.

Light of Aforgomon discarded.

Zoey draws Terror from Beyond from the encounter deck.
Zoey chooses 'asset' and discards Meat Cleaver. Pete discards Track Shoes.

Whoa, a portal just stole my shoes. Rude!

Buddy, you have no idea.

quote:

Pete draws Visions of Future Past from the encounter deck and tests Willpower (5). 4(-0) vs 5
Failure! Pete discards 1 card from the top of his deck.

Pete exhausts Duke and investigates: 6(-3) vs 1

Pete discards Live and Learn and readies Duke, then exhausts Duke and investigates: 6(-1) vs 1

The investigators at the dormitories spend 6 clues and advance to Resolution 2.

quote:

Resolution 2:

You pull each of the dormitory's fire alarms and usher the students out of the building's north exit, hoping to make your way off campus. Many of the students are confused and exhausted, but you believe an attempt to explain the situation will do more harm than good. Minutes later, a terrible screech echoes across the campus, piercing and shrill. You tell the students to wait and head back to the dormitories to investigate. Oddly, you find no trace of the strange creature - a prospect that worries you more than it relieves you. You hurry to the faculty offices to find Professor Rice, but there is no sign of him anywhere.

- In your Campaign Log, record that Professor Warren Rice was kidnapped.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the students were rescued.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

- Proceed to Interlude 1: Armitage's Fate.

Unfortunately for our upgrading plans, Dunwich is very stingy with the EXP points. We earn no extra EXP for achieving even a relatively decent ending, and only scraped out three due to two enemies that randomly showed up. If those two hadn't showed up, we could easily have ended the scenario with 0/1 EXP.

quote:

Check Campaign Log. If the investigators were unconscious for several hours: Read Armitage's Fate 1. If not, skip to Armitage's Fate 2.

Armitage's Fate 2:

When you arrive at Dr. Armitage's home in Southside, you find him sitting at his desk, pale-faced and sweating with worry. He is grateful to you for searching for his colleagues, but he doesn't look relieved. With a long pause, he straightens his glasses and explains:

"I'm afraid I must apologize. There's something I didn't mention to you earlier." Dr. Armitage then spins a tale you would scarcely believe had it not been for your harrowing experiences earlier that night...

- In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators rescued Dr. Henry Armitage. Any one investigator may choose to add Dr. Henry Armitage to his or her deck. This card does not count towards that investigator's deck size.

- The story continues in Scenario II: The Miskatonic Museum.

And with that, that's our two starting scenarios complete. Note that there's no way to rescue both professors - whichever one you deal with first, you'll arrive too late to locate the other one. Still, we now have Armitage and Francis 'York' Morgan on our side - let's hope it'll be enough to survive the horrors of...The Miskatonic Museum.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No cats thrown :negative:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Some people itt are really pumped for Jellicle Cthulhu and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
At this point I've long accepted that regardless of what else happens in the update, the main topic of conversation will be Those loving Cats. The scenario could be about hijacking a lunar rover to search for the remnants of the Elder Empire, and the first reply would still be 'but where are the cats'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you're on the moon there are moon things, and that's precisely when you need the cats, canonically. So the lunar rover scenario is apt.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What happens if you beat up the monster instead of pulling the alarm?

Possibly related: does damage carry forward between chapters?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mzbundifund posted:

What happens if you beat up the monster instead of pulling the alarm?

Possibly related: does damage carry forward between chapters?

You get two shiny experience points and the scenario ends immediately. Although, possibly, also your head caved in because you pulled two tentacles in a row from the bag the turn before that happened. True story.

Damage doesn't carry, but if you die you start every subsequent scenario with 1 point of damage/horror depending on what killed you. Additive per death of course.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I adore this game, along with the lord of the rings LCG, and have most of both card pools. I wish the genre itself was more popular so there'd be more options for co-op card games to play, but as it is the ones that are out are really good.

Even though Milan is considered to be one of the best cards in the game, I hope he shows up a lot in this LP simply because of how it gets goofier and goofier for this college professor to just show up in these esoteric places :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kobal2 posted:

Damage doesn't carry, but if you die you start every subsequent scenario with 1 point of damage/horror depending on what killed you. Additive per death of course.

When you say 1 point of damage, is that healable damage or is it a reduction to your maximum?

I'm also a little confused about the long term mechanics. Roland and Daisy from the first scenario got permanent trauma from their win, but clearly scenarios are intended to be played with "level 1" newbies with starter decks, so is the trauma they picked up just a fancy form of flavor text saying that even winning against space squids leaves its scars, or are there "high level" scenarios that you're expected to take a character with a developed deck into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mzbundifund posted:

When you say 1 point of damage, is that healable damage or is it a reduction to your maximum?

Healable - you just start the scenario with the appropriate token already on your character sheet. It boils down to the same thing though, really ; in most cases if you ever actually have to spend an action healing in order to not die, you're pretty much already in a loss spiral and lying to yourself about it.

quote:

I'm also a little confused about the long term mechanics. Roland and Daisy from the first scenario got permanent trauma from their win, but clearly scenarios are intended to be played with "level 1" newbies with starter decks, so is the trauma they picked up just a fancy form of flavor text saying that even winning against space squids leaves its scars, or are there "high level" scenarios that you're expected to take a character with a developed deck into?

Technically nothing prevents you from starting a fresh campaign with a veteran deck - if it turns out to be too easy, there are ways to adjust that within the game's rules. Also there are a number of one shot scenarii designed to be played whenever and however you like, either fresh or as a way to powerup in the middle of a campaign or to keep playing with vet decks you like. E.g. my group slotted Curse of the Rougarou into the one we're vicariously playing right now a few games down the line as it felt thematically appropriate. It was great, we all had to pay 1 XP to earn the right to do it, and we all walked out with 1 XP and a fresh new permanent trauma because the Rougarou emphatically don't play, I heartily recommend it.