Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, Trauma is just "take one damage at the start of every match", so if you're in an especially heal-based team, you can basically ignore trauma as long as it's never as high as your max hp, because that just perma-kills your character. A character later on actually benefits from having a bit of trauma, so we'll probably see lots of it then.

The end of campaign results give you the trauma to make just bringing them into other campaigns less palatable, but there are no rules against it, they just prefer you make new decks for each campaign, since that's how the game's designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Upgrading

Zoey-

- Removed: 1 Elusive, 1 Dynamite Blast

As fun as Dynamite Blast is, we haven't (and aren't likely to) get much use out of it - enemies don't spawn quickly enough for us to really need large-scale room clearing. The -1 Elusive is because we need to free up one of our level 0 off-class slots.

- Added: 1 Sixth Sense, 1 Safeguard

As thematic as it is devoting Zoey solely to murder, it does mean a lot of time sitting on her hands waiting for enemies to show up. Sixth Sense should alleviate that a little, letting Zoey investigate with her fairly decent Willpower instead of her puny Intellect.

Safeguard is a card introduced in one of the newer packs, and one I've been meaning to try out. Whenever another investigator moves, the Safeguarder can exhaust this card to move with them. If all works out well, this card could be quite the time-saver.

Pete-

- Removed: 1 Perception, 2 Lab Assistants.

The Lab Assistants fell in a portal, so we'll have to say goodbye to them.
(Not really, I just need to free up the off-class slots)

- Added: Dr. Henry Armitage, 1 Leo de Luca, 1 Plucky, 1 Deduction, 1 Leo de Luca.

Armitage is a freebie addition from the last scenario, and provides Pete with a way to turn some of his excess draws into free resources. In fact, we're pretty much set both draw and resource-wise - our main limitation right now is just plain having not enough time to get everything we want out on the field.

Enter Leo De Luca - a pricey ally at 6 resources, but with a nice straightforward ability of +1 action. If we happen to have any resources left to spare after that, Plucky provides a way to sink them into temporary stat boosts, and Deduction gives us even more action compression for our primary clue-grabber.

Now with all that done, let's get to the next scenario.

...and so, we burned away the remains of that terrible creature, and sealed up the circle as best as we could.

Huh. That's quite the tall tale...but after everything that's happened, I'm inclined to believe you.

We tried to keep it quiet, but there were just too many loose ends to tie up. Or maybe Old Whateley was never working alone. I doubt it matters at this point.

In any case, if they're retracing his steps and trying to complete his work, then they'll be after the same thing Wilbur was - the Necronomicon.

So...why are we here?

I felt it was too dangerous to keep it at the university, so I gave it to my good friend, a curator at the Miskatonic Museum. It's buried in the depths of the Restricted Hall right now.

You let something like that out of your sight?

Would you prefer the wizard-infested hellhole of a school where they left a horrible abomination just lying around?

Okay, fair point. So how do we get in?

You'll have to convince the guard you're here on my orders. Just let him know I sent you, and he should let you in.

The Miskatonic Museum - or at least, what we can see from the entrance, anyway. No doubt we'll get a better view of things once we're actually inside.

There's two ways to progress Act 1a. The first is by picking up the two clues at the entrance and spending them to flip the Act...

...and the second is just brute-forcing your way through the locked door and breaking into the museum. As for the Agenda...

The setup and Agenda don't really bother to hide this scenario's gimmick, so might as well be upfront with it. There's only one enemy in this scenario: the unkillable, omnipresent Hunting Horror.

The Hunting Horror starts out lurking in the Encounter deck, and upon its initial manifestation, it's not too hard to handle, with just 2 fight/2 evade and 3 HP. Killing it doesn't finish it off for good, however, just sends it to the out-of-play 'void' area. When it returns, it does so with a vengeance, adding one resource to Shadow-spawned each time it manifests. Since Shadow-Spawned remains attached to it even when it enters the void, there's no way to clear the resources off it, and the Hunting Horror can grow to truly unstoppable levels if you're particularly unlucky.

Despite all that, we'll probably try to kill it anytime it pops up anyway - we don't have anyone built for evade-tanking it, and Zoey's probably tough enough to solo it two or three times before it becomes a problem even for her.

The setup card for the scenario. As you can see, it's fairly Hunting-Horror centric.

The starting hands of Zoey and Pete. With the whole Track Shoes/Rabbit's Foot/Drawing Thin combo out Pete should be able to get his engine up and running fairly quickly. Zoey's starting hand isn't so great, but at least we have two targets for Ever Vigilant, and with Rook in play she should be able to search for more useful cards later on.

quote:

Round 1

Investigation Phase: Pete's Turn

Pete spends 1 resource and plays Plucky.

Pete spends 1 resource, exhausts Duke and investigates: 5 (-2) vs 3
Success! Pete gains 1 clue.

Pete plays Drawing Thin.

Pete plays Rabbit's Foot and ends his turn.

Investigation Phase: Zoey's Turn

Zoey spends 2 resources, plays Scene of the Crime and picks up one clue.

Zoey plays Ever Vigilant and spends 2 resources to play Mr. Rook and 1 resource to play Safeguard.

Zoey exhausts Mr. Rook, searches the top 9 cards of her deck and draws Zoey's Cross.

Hmm. It would appear the lad has fallen asleep. Any ideas?

Sure, let me just get warmed up a bit.

OPEN UP, IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!

Wh-

YOU CAN'T KEEP US OUT FOREVER!

quote:

Zoey commits Overpower and tests Combat (5). 6 (-1 from skull) vs 5
Success! Zoey draws a card, moves into Museum Halls and ends her turn.

Act 1a advances.

RAAAAARGH!

Aaaah!

You were supposed to wake him up, not break the door down!

Hey, you wanted in. I got us in. Now what?

Well, now we have to fumble about in the dark, because you frightened off the man who could tell us where they put the book.

Oh. Whoops.

quote:

Enemy Phase: No enemies in play.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and Zoey gains 1 resource.

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/5

Zoey draws Obscuring Fog from the encounter deck. Obscuring Fog attaches to the Museum Halls.

Where is all this fog coming from?

The wide-open door that someone broke down, is my guess.

We can just ignore this - there's no clues here.

quote:

Pete draws Terror from Beyond from the encounter deck. Pete chooses 'Skill' and discards Inspiring Presence. Zoey has no skills to discard.

Woof!

*sigh* Wizard's back. Keep an eye out for portals.

Most of the encounters are fairly similar to last scenario - discard-heavy events that attack your deck and hand.

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke, moves to the Museum Halls, exhausts Drawing Thin, gains 2 resources and Investigates: 4(-0) vs 6
Failure! Pete exhausts Rabbit's Foot and draws a card.

Zoey exhausts Safeguard. Zoey may now move with Pete.

Uh, do you have to stand so close?

If I let you out of my sight, I'll never be able to find you again in this blasted fog.

Alright, just...give us some space, would you? You're making Duke nervous.

Woof!

quote:

Pete spends 1 resource and plays Magnifying Glass.

Pete discards Live and Learn, readies Duke, then exhausts Duke, moves with Zoey to the Security Office and Investigates: 5 (+2 from Elder Sign) vs 2
Success! Pete gains 1 clue and readies Duke.

Pete exhausts Duke and investigates: 5 (-1) vs 2
Success! Pete gains 1 clue and ends his turn.

Good lord, what happened here?

Looks like someone took off in a hurry. Probably scraped himself on the desk or something.

Hey, it's not my fault he had a fragile constitution!

quote:

Zoey exhausts Rook, searches the top 9 cards of her deck and draws Meat Cleaver.

Zoey spends 2 actions and uses the Security Office to search her deck. Zoey draws Dr. Francis Morgan.

Zoey spends 1 resource and plays Zoey's Cross, then ends her turn.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 3

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/5

Zoey draws Crypt Chill from the encounter deck and tests Willpower (4). 4(-3) vs 4
Failure! Zoey discards Mr. Rook.

Mm. This aroma of fear...exquisite. Do you mind if I linger here and savor this scent a little longer?

Uh, sure I guess. creep

quote:

Pete draws Arcane Barrier from the encounter deck. Arcane Barrier attaches to Security Office.

Well. Looks like none of us are leaving, anyway.

Bah. If we can deal with the gate, we can deal with this.

quote:

Zoey spends 2 actions and uses the Security Office to search her deck. Zoey draws Emergency Cache.

Zoey plays Emergency Cache, gains 3 resources and ends her turn.

In between no enemies to fight and no need to even Move thanks to Safeguard, Zoey has a lot of actions to spare on her hands.

quote:

Pete plays Drawing Thin.

Pete spends 3 resources and plays Track Shoes.

Zoey commits Let me Handle This and Pete tests Willpower (4). 5 (-1 from skull) vs 4
Success! Arcane Barrier discarded. Pete and Zoey move to the Museum Hall.

Pete exhausts both copies of Drawing Thin, gains 2 resources and draws a card, then tests Agility (7). 4 (-2) vs 7
Failure! Pete remains in place, exhausts Rabbit's Foot and draws a card.

What's with that little shuffle-dance?

Oh, these are my lucky shoes. Brings me good luck.

Woof!

Pete is going to do this (spiking the Agility test from the shoes with Drawing Thin for free stuff, then failing it for a Rabbit's Foot draw) a lot, so for the sake of brevity every time he does this in the future I'll just put 'executes the Drawing Thin combo for X resources/cards'.

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain a resource.

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 3/5

Zoey draws Twist of Fate from the encounter deck.
(Skull) revealed. Zoey takes 1 damage.

Ow, my leg!

quote:

Pete draws Ephemeral Exhibits from the encounter deck.
Pete spends 2 resources on Plucky, then tests Intellect (3). 4 (-1) vs 3
Success! No actions lost.

This place is starting to give me the creeps. We should get a move on.

Right, where to then?

The Restricted Hall won't be so easily accessible to the general public. It'll be a bit further in.

The main reason we broke through the gate earlier was to save a bit of time (and clues) for this section. While at the Museum Halls, we can spend 1 action (and 2 clues) to put the top card of the Exhibit Hall deck into play, connected to the Museum Halls.

There are 6 Exhibit Halls, and the Restricted Hall is only shuffled into the bottom half, so we'll have to spend anything from 8-12 clues before we get the right one in play. That's not to say that the first three are to be completely ignored - we need to pick up some more clues, and they provide VP for clearing them out.

quote:

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Meat Cleaver.

Zoey spends 2 actions and 4 clues from the group to draw the top 2 cards of the Exhibit Hall deck, then ends her turn.

Pete exhausts Duke and moves with Zoey to the Southwest Exhibit Hall.

Brr. Do you think it's in here?

Well, I'm not opening those things to check. That's how you get cursed. Saw it in the papers and everything.

quote:

Pete commits Take Heart and executes the Drawing Thin combo for 4 resources and 4 cards.

Pete then commits Deduction, spends 2 resources on Plucky and investigates: 8 (-2) vs 3
Success! Pete picks up 2 clues.

Pete spends 1 resource, plays A Chance Encounter and puts Mr. Rook from Zoey's discard into play.

Hmph. Dead men don't scare me.

A wise decision. They can smell your fear, you know.

What?

Remember, A Chance Encounter works on allies in any discard pile, not just Pete's own one. When they leave play, they go back to their original owner's discard pile.

quote:

Pete exhausts Mr. Rook, spends 1 secret, searches the top 9 cards of his deck and draws Leo de Luca.

Pete discards Manual Dexterity to ready Mr. Rook, then exhausts Mr. Rook, spends 1 secret, searches the top 9 cards of his deck and draws Miss Doyle.

Pete spends 2 resources on Plucky and Investigates: 4 (-1 from Cultist) vs 3

Mr. Rook returns to Zoey's discard pile.

I'm quite surprised we haven't hit a single weakness in all our 9-deep searches with Mr. Rook. It wouldn't be too much of a hindrance if we did, though - Wracked By Nightmares just wastes a bit of our time, and Indebted is already dealt with.

quote:

Round 5

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 4/5

Zoey draws Arcane Barrier from the encounter deck. Arcane Barrier attaches to Hall of the Dead.

Pete draws Visions of Future Past from the encounter deck and tests Willpower (5). 4 (-1 from skull) vs 5
Failure! Pete discards the top 2 cards of his deck.

Woof!

You okay? You look like -

It's nothing. Nothing! I'm fine, just give me a moment.

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke and Investigates: 5 (-1) vs 3

Pete then attempts to move to Museum Halls, commits Guts and tests Willpower (4). 6 (-1 from Cultist) vs 4
Success! Arcane Barrier discarded. Pete and Zoey move to Museum Halls.

Pete commits Take Heart and executes the Drawing Thin combo for 6 resources and 3 cards.

Pete spends 6 resources and plays Leo De Luca.

Pete spends 2 clues, draws the top card of the Exhibit Deck and ends his turn.

How's it hanging, Pete?

Hey Leo. Doing fine, thank you.

Wait, who's this guy?

It's Leo! Everyone knows Leo!

Oh yeah, Leo. Hi, Leo.

What?

quote:

Zoey spends 2 clues and draws the top card of the Exhibit Deck.

Zoey moves to the Northwest Exhibit Hall.

Huh. Well, this would probably look better with the lights on. Maybe that mutt can sniff something out.

quote:

Zoey moves back to the Museum Halls and ends her turn.

How did you even get in here, anyway?

Walked in? The door's wide open, you know.

They don't make those things like they used to.

quote:

Round 6

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 5/5

All doom removed. Agenda 1a Advances.

No, seriously, you can't just go 'It's Leo' and -

Sorry, old chap, but introductions will have to wait. We've got company.

quote:

Hunting Horror spawns at Museum Halls and engages Zoey. Zoey gains 1 resource, exhausts Zoey's Cross, spends 1 resource and deals 1 damage to Hunting Horror.

Zoey draws Visions of Future Past from the encounter deck and tests Willpower (5). 4 (-2) vs 5
Failure! Zoey discards the top 3 cards of her deck.

Pete draws Crypt Chill from the encounter deck and tests Willpower (4). 4 (+1) vs 4
Success! No assets discarded.

SKREEEE!

Augh!

That's a Dream-Hunter of Nodens! What's it doing in here?

Trying to take my face off, is what!

Incidentally, if the Hunting Horror hasn't shown up prior to this, then Agenda 1b is the only point in the game where it can show up without Shadow-Spawned attached. This doesn't do much in the long run, but it does mean we get one 'free' kill without it powering up.

quote:

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Dr. Francis Morgan. Hunting Horror gets an Attack of Opportunity and deals 1 damage and Horror to her.

Alright, you're the big-shot monster hunter here. How do we take down this thing?

Uh, try stabbing it?

What? That's - ow! - the best you can do?

You're not giving me a lot to work with here!

quote:

Zoey uses Meat Cleaver, takes 1 Horror and Fights Hunting Horror. 6 (-4) vs 2
Success! Hunting Horror moves to The Void. Zoey heals 1 horror, exhausts Dr. Francis Morgan and draws a card.

Zoey gains 1 resource and ends her turn.

Where did it go?

Woof!

What do you mean 'everywhere'?

Space doesn't work the same way for those creatures. What you saw was merely a small fragment of the beast - just the tip of the iceberg.

That's a comforting thought. We'd better get a move on, then.

quote:

Pete spends 3 resources and plays Miss Doyle. Pete randomly chooses a cat, puts Augur into play and shuffles Hope and Zeal into his deck.

Meow!

Oh, there you are, Miss Doyle. I hope that creature didn't scare you too much.

I'm beginning to think that cat is magic.

All cats are magic.

I have absolutely no idea whether you're kidding or not.

By the way, just in case anyone's forgotten how much stuff Pete has in play:

Quite the selection. Still, there's nothing wrong with having more options - given how much these scenarios like forcing you to discard, it helps to have a few assets you can sacrifice on-hand at any given moment.

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke and moves to the Egyptian Hall, then executes the Drawing Thin combo for 4 resources and discards Rabbit's Foot due to an Elder Thing draw.

Pete then spends 1 resource on Plucky and Investigates: 6 (-3) vs 3

Pete exhausts Augur and Investigates: 6 (-4) vs 3
Failure! Pete loses 1 action, but spends 2 resources, plays Look What I found and gains 2 clues, then plays Live and Learn and reattempts the Investigation: 8 (-1 from skull) vs 3

Oof!

Careful, you knocked over - hey, a hidden door!

quote:

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain 1 resource.

Round 7

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/7

Zoey draws Locked Door from the encounter deck.
Locked Door attaches to Museum Entrance.

What was that?

Probably the gate. They've got some newfangled automatic system.

We're locked in?

Eh. We busted our way in, we can bust our way out.

It's a good thing we picked up that last clue when we did - since that means no revealed locations have a clue in play, we can tuck that away anywhere we want.

quote:

Pete draws Pushed Into the Beyond.
Pete shuffles Drawing Thin into his deck, then discards the top 3 cards of his deck.

Drawing Thin was among those cards! Pete takes 2 horror, assigning 1 to Duke and 1 to Miss Doyle.

Watch out for that portal, Duke!

Woof!

It's a little impolite to our furry friends, but assigning any non-direct Horror to Pete himself will break Plucky, and since we only have the one copy we want to keep it in play for a while longer.

quote:

Pete and Zoey move into the Museum Halls.

Pete spends 2 actions and 4 clues to draw the remaining 2 cards of the Exhibit deck.

So, you think it's that one?

If it's not the one hidden behind a secret door, then why have a secret door?

quote:

Pete and Zoey move to the top-right Exhibit Hall.
The top-right Exhibit Hall was the Restricted Hall! Act 2a advances.

Harold!

Henry? Save yourself! It's coming!

Wha - oh, this again. Is that all?

This time, the Hunting Horror does come with Shadow-Spawned attached, but since there's no resources on it, its stats remain the same and we get one more 'free' kill. It'll start powering up the next time it manifests, though.

quote:

Pete takes control of Harold Walsted.

Hunting Horror spawns at Restricted Hall and engages with Zoey.
Zoey gains 1 resource, exhausts Zoey's Cross, spends 1 resource and deals 1 damage to Hunting Horror.

Zoey commits Overpower, takes 1 horror and Fights Hunting Horror with Meat Cleaver. 8(-0) vs 2
Success! Hunting Horror returns to the Void. Zoey heals 1 horror and draws 2 cards.

See? Down it goes again.

That won't stop it! It'll be back stronger than ever!

Then we'd better find that book and get out of here. It is in here, right?

I'll help look for it if you stop screaming at me, okay?

Harold gives us a nice +2 Intellect boost when investigating, takes up no slots, and permanently screws us over for the rest of the campaign if he ever leaves play. We could use the intellect boost to investigate the rest of the locations for extra VP, but we probably don't want to risk carting this guy around any longer than we have to.

quote:

Zoey commits Elusive and Inspiring Presence and Investigates: 4(-1) vs 3
Success! Zoey gains 1 clue.

Zoey gains 1 resource and ends her turn.

Upkeep Phase: All cards ready. Both investigators draw a card and gain 1 resource.

Round 7

Mythos Phase: 1 Doom added to the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/7

Zoey draws Pushed into the Beyond from the encounter deck.
Zoey shuffles Meat Cleaver into her deck and discards the top three cards of her deck.
Meat Cleaver was not among those cards. No damage taken.

Pete draws Twist of Fate from the encounter deck.
(0) was revealed. Pete takes 1 damage.

My leg! Who keeps leaving these pointy objects on the ground, anyway?

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke, spends 1 resource on Plucky and Investigates: 8 (-0) vs 3

Pete exhausts Augur, spends 1 resource on Plucky and Investigates: 9 (-1) vs 3

Pete discards Calling in Favors, readies Augur, then discards Augur and investigates: 8 vs 3 (set to 0 from autosuccess).

There are no clues remaining in the Exhibit Hall. Act 3a advances.

Meow! Hiss!

Uh-oh, she's getting ornery. We'd better - whoa!

Woof!

Huh? She disappeared into the - oh, here it is!

Cats chucked counter: 1

Now before we go to Act 3b and end the scenario, let's take a look at some stuff we missed, and some stuff we didn't.

As with the last scenario, we only got 3 Victory Points - 1 for each of the Exhibit Halls we cleared out, including the Restricted Hall.

The other Exhibit Halls we didn't venture into. As you can see, one of them is just a trap that wastes your time.

A couple of the scenario-specific encounters we didn't see this run. Slithering Behind You is the only encounter card that actually summons the Hunting Horror, so a group with Ward of Protection (or just decent luck) can easily go through the entire scenario without seeing it pop up any more than necessary.

Passage into the Veil, on the other hand, is mostly just there to knock out Harold. A very rude card.

If we spent clues instead of breaking in, we get to pick up Adam Lynch instead - hardly an upside, given that we have to spend even more of the scenario shepherding around a guy who can permanently screw us over. If we go with him, poor old Harold bites it instead.

That's about everything settled - on to Act 3b.

Most of the alternate paths in Dunwich are in response to stuff you accomplished (or failed to) in earlier scenarios, but for once we get an actual choice. Do we Destroy the Necronomicon and deny everyone its power forever, or do we Keep the Necronomicon and trust in our ability to safeguard it?

Update

Seems like the majority vote is Keep the book, so:

quote:

Resolution 2:

The Necronomicon is more than just a book, it is a tool. Within its pages is a wealth of information about the forces and creatures you have encountered. Knowing how useful it could be in your endeavors, how could you possibly bring yourself to destroy it? Besides, as long as you keep the book safely in your possession, you will still be foiling those who wish to use it for nefarious purposes.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators took custody of the Necronomicon.

- The investigators have earned The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation). Any one investigator may choose to add The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation) to his or her deck. This card does not count towards that investigator's deck size.

- You have given in to the temptation of power. Add one Elder Thing Chaos Token to the Chaos Bag for the remainder of the campaign.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the Victory display.

By the way, burning the Necronomicon causes it to...crumble to ashes. There may or may not be any further ramifications to that act down the line, but the immediate effect (denying everyone the power of the Necronomicon) is fairly easily achieved.

So what exactly did we get out of it?

The DREAD NECRONOMICON (Olaus Wormius Translation) is, uh, a much more impressive plot token than it is an actual card. It takes up a hand slot, costs 2 resources to play, gives +1 Intellect and can be activated for 2 resources - barely more profitable than just using said action to gain 1 resource. Still, at least it's better than Daisy's cursed version (there are no non-cursed editions of the Necronomicon). We'll probably give it to Zoey - she has enough actions to spare for an activation or two if there's nothing to hit around.

And with that, we earn no extra experience (as usual), and made life a little harder for ourselves down the line. Let's just hope that doesn't screw us over on...the Essex County Express.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 11, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lady Doyle? We've got a new catscratcher for you.
(Destroy)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Keep it

You never know what's released when you destroy something like that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Surely nothing whatsoever could go wrong with lugging the most evil, sanity-busting book in existence around. Keep it.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Looks like you made a small mistake near the start of this game. You drew Twist of Fate, then a skull, but dealt 1 damage instead of 2 horror.

Also voting Keeping the Necronomicon.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

On one hand, it's a loving cliche to jump to 'destroy the book' in an cthulhu-based work, and kind of boring to go that way. On the other hand, that book's bad news, and this is lovecraft - the book itself isn't the threat, it's the contents within.

but voting Keep to go against the cliche.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
This isn't the only copy of the blasted book in the world. It's not like destroying it is a permanent solution.

Keep it

Though it would be weird to play this campaign with Daisy, who starts with a copy of the Necronomicon in her deck.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

I hate to say this, but isn't Pete taking too many actions for most of the scenario here? Unless I've misunderstood the rules, eg it looks like he took 4 actions on turn 1 (played three things and investigated with Duke); there's a couple turns like that, and then after Leo enters play there's a couple where he's taking 5. Is there some free action/action gaining I've missed?

Voting keep it for the Necronomicon. It's probably useless for our characters, but at least it's one more thing to chuck into all these drat portals.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Nick Buntline posted:

I hate to say this, but isn't Pete taking too many actions for most of the scenario here? Unless I've misunderstood the rules, eg it looks like he took 4 actions on turn 1 (played three things and investigated with Duke); there's a couple turns like that, and then after Leo enters play there's a couple where he's taking 5. Is there some free action/action gaining I've missed?

Voting keep it for the Necronomicon. It's probably useless for our characters, but at least it's one more thing to chuck into all these drat portals.

There's several things you can do in the game that don't cost an action. In the case of Pete's first turn, he played Plucky, which has the "Fast" keyword. Fast cards don't cost an action to play.

Some abilities also don't require an action, such as Mr. Rook's ability to search your deck for a card.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Phelddagrif posted:

In the case of Pete's first turn, he played Plucky, which has the "Fast" keyword. Fast cards don't cost an action to play.

Ah, that was what I was missing; totally forgot that keyword was a thing. Thanks!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

There's several things you can do in the game that don't cost an action. In the case of Pete's first turn, he played Plucky, which has the "Fast" keyword. Fast cards don't cost an action to play.

Some abilities also don't require an action, such as Mr. Rook's ability to search your deck for a card.

Also, don’t forget:

- Duke’s investigate activation allows him to move and investigate in a single action. Sometimes I split up the two in the logs for clarity, but it’s still the same action.

- The entire Drawing Thin combo costs no actions, it’s a series of triggers that proc off each other (the shoe test procs upon moving, the Drawing Thins are activated at the start of that skill test, and Rabbit’s Foot triggers off that skill test failing).

Gloomy Rube posted:

Looks like you made a small mistake near the start of this game. You drew Twist of Fate, then a skull, but dealt 1 damage instead of 2 horror.

This one is a genuine mistake, though. My bad! Still, it doesn't really affect the final outcome of the scenario.

Could be worse - I forgot entirely about the Hunting Horror powering up every time it respawned in the attempt prior to this one, and had to replay the whole scenario once I remembered.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 10, 2020

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Inadequately posted:

Also, don’t forget:

- Duke’s investigate activation allows him to move and investigate in a single action. Sometimes I split up the two in the logs for clarity, but it’s still the same action.

- The entire Drawing Thin combo costs no actions, it’s a series of triggers that proc off each other (the shoe test prods upon moving, the Drawing Thins are activated at the start of that skill test, and Rabbit’s Foot triggers off that skill test failing).

yeah, I knew both, but I think I was misreading the Drawing Thin as triggering off the investigate half of Duke's action and not the free skill check on the move half, so was counting the separated investigate as different action.

All in all, that is some very impressive action economy - would be very curious to see if other decks can match/beat it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Inadequately posted:

Cats chucked counter: 1

:hai:

I also laughed at "all cats are magic". Thanks for doing this LP, it's very interesting.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
If my memory of the story this is based on, the group only got answers through this book, so keep. Also if my memory is right a dog also was critical in winning in that story.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think it's presumptuous to assume one can even really destroy the Necronomicon.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Destroy Honestly most parties would keep the book. Especially the first group we used. But this party has someone on a mission from god to murder monsters. I don't think she is up for the old papal practice of summoning demons just to banish them, so destroy the book.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

malkav11 posted:

I think it's presumptuous to assume one can even really destroy the Necronomicon.

In Lovecraft's works, the Necronomicon is just a book. A book full of magic spells and things man was not meant to know, but the book itself is not magical. It burns like any other construct of paper, ink and glue.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This is what a lot of people don't get - the drat books aren't some magic tome from D&D, they're just regular books, just their contents are disturbing *if you know how to read the language* - which is why it makes a note this is a latin translation. They don't automatically turn people into raving lunatics just by looking at them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also can never get behind destroying books because it feels deeply blasphemous to me to set a rare book on fire, even if it's got bunches of evil spells in it or whatever.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

mr_stibbons posted:

Though it would be weird to play this campaign with Daisy, who starts with a copy of the Necronomicon in her deck.

All copies of the Necronomicon are partial and flawed in their own way. Nobody has the whole thing, I don't think ; and in any event any translation of any text from one language to another will distort the original some. If anything, Daisy would revel in the opportunity to compare her translation to a different one !

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Seems like the majority vote is Keep the book, so:

quote:

Resolution 2:

The Necronomicon is more than just a book, it is a tool. Within its pages is a wealth of information about the forces and creatures you have encountered. Knowing how useful it could be in your endeavors, how could you possibly bring yourself to destroy it? Besides, as long as you keep the book safely in your possession, you will still be foiling those who wish to use it for nefarious purposes.

- In your Campaign Log, record that the investigators took custody of the Necronomicon.

- The investigators have earned The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation). Any one investigator may choose to add The Necronomicon (Olaus Wormius Translation) to his or her deck. This card does not count towards that investigator's deck size.

- You have given in to the temptation of power. Add one Elder Thing Chaos Token to the Chaos Bag for the remainder of the campaign.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the Victory display.

By the way, burning the Necronomicon causes it to...crumble to ashes. There may or may not be any further ramifications to that act down the line, but the immediate effect (denying everyone the power of the Necronomicon) is fairly easily achieved.

So what exactly did we get out of it?

The DREAD NECRONOMICON (Olaus Wormius Translation) is, uh, a much more impressive plot token than it is an actual card. It takes up a hand slot, costs 2 resources to play, gives +1 Intellect and can be activated for 2 resources - barely more profitable than just using said action to gain 1 resource. Still, at least it's better than Daisy's cursed version (there are no non-cursed editions of the Necronomicon). We'll probably give it to Zoey - she has enough actions to spare for an activation or two if there's nothing to hit around.

And with that, we earn no extra experience (as usual), and made life a little harder for ourselves down the line. Let's just hope that doesn't screw us over on...the Essex County Express.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

I vote for NOT putting the book in your deck. Considering what it has already done, it will invite disaster.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

SniHjen posted:

I vote for NOT putting the book in your deck. Considering what it has already done, it will invite disaster.

Don’t be silly, there’s no way carrying around the Exceedingly Cursed Tome will lead to any problems whatsoever.

On a completely unrelated note, this is Round 2 of Attempt 1 of the next scenario:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The gimmick for this scenario is very cool on paper but it can also gently caress you up easily with bad draws.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Do you have any intention of dipping into Barkham Horror?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Took me a few moments to realize the full fuckyouness (fuckyouhood ? English ain't my first language) of the first shot.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Upgrading

Pete-

Removed: 1 Calling in Favors

Added: 1 Will to Survive

Will to Survive is a very nice crunch-time card - without the threat of tokens, Pete can guarantee success on any test he takes as long as he can match its difficulty. It's a little pricey, but Pete hasn't had too much trouble with resources so far.

Zoey-

Removed: 1 Enchanted Blade

Added: 1 Enchanted Blade (3)

Aside from the extra boost to Combat, the big difference between the upgraded Enchanted Blade and the base version is that charges are only spent if you succeed. This ensures that you can never waste a charge on a failed attack, allowing you to save them for the blade's handy on-kill effect.

Now with that out of the way, let's get to the scenario.

Alright, it took some asking around, but I found someone willing to sneak us onto the Essex County Express. We'll be in Dunwich in no time.

Uh, just how many people did you ask? This is supposed to be a secret mission.

Huh. Never took you to be the cautious type.

I'm not one for taking unnecessary risks. You know there's people on our trail already!

Relax, we'll lie low during the journey. I know a couple of good hiding spots that no one ever checks.

Woof!

Trust me, ol' Pete's a master at getting where he wants to go. There's going to be absolutely no problems whatsoever.

So for the record, I blame you for this.

Woof!

Just shut up and help me get the door open, okay?

The gimmick for this scenario is that the eponymous Essex County Express has stalled, and is slowly being sucked car by car into a massive portal in the sky. In order to escape, the investigators need to make their way to the engine car and get what remains of the train started, before the portal catches up with them.

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as just moving forward - as you saw earlier, we can only move to the next car when the current one has been fully investigated, and each car has their own particular gimmick that we have to play along with.

There are five relatively short Agendas for this scenario, with the last train car swallowed by the vortex every time the Agenda advances - until the fifth one, where the entirety of what remains of the train is sucked up. The Act requires no actual clues to advance - just get to the Engine Car.

The special tokens in this scenario are mostly about wasting your time. By the way, here's what our current token bank looks like:

Since we're at the halfway mark of the campaign, we have to drop another (-3) token in there (-2 for easy, -4 for Hard and -5 for Expert). We also had to drop another Elder Thing token in there thanks to the Necronomicon, though we've managed to avoid any Tablet tokens so far.

Zoey managed to pull Sixth Sense after mulliganing her first hand away - we really need her to pull her weight with investigations on this scenario. Pete started with a few handy combo pieces - even in this scenario, he's going to want to devote at least a little time to setup if he wants to succeed.

quote:

Round 1

Pete plays Drawing Thin.

Pete plays Rabbit's Foot.

Pete exhausts Drawing Thin, gains 2 resources, commits Take Heart, then exhausts Duke and Investigates: 4 (-1 from skull) vs 5
Failure! Pete plays "Look what I found!" and gains 2 clues, then exhausts Rabbit's Foot, gains 2 resources and draws 3 cards.

Pete ends his turn.

Zoey spends 3 resources and plays Enchanted Blade (3).

Zoey gains 1 resource.

Zoey spends 3 resources, plays Sixth Sense and ends her turn.

Round 2

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/4

Zoey draws Grappling Horror from the encounter deck. Grappling Horror engages Zoey and Zoey gains 1 resource.

Ugh, it's sticky! Get it off me!

quote:

Pete draws Terror from Beyond from the encounter deck. Pete chooses 'skill' and discards Deduction.

Woof!

I agree, additional portals seems a little redundant at this point.

quote:

Zoey uses Enchanted Blade and Fights Grappling Horror: 6 (-1 from skull) vs 3
Success! 1 damage dealt to Grappling Horror.

Zoey uses Enchanted Blade and Fights Grappling Horror: 6 (-2) vs 3
Success! Zoey spends 1 charge to empower the blade and deals 2 damage, defeating the Grappling Horror and drawing a card.

Zoey commits Heroic Rescue and Investigates with Sixth Sense: 5 (-1) vs 3
Success! Zoey gains 1 clue and ends her turn.

Pete spends 3 resources, plays Miss Doyle, puts Augur into play and shuffles Hope and Zeal into his deck.

Pete exhausts Augur and Investigates: 5 (-0) vs 3

There are no clues left on Passenger Car! The investigators may now move forward.

Pete exhausts Duke and moves into the next Passenger Car.
Parlor Car cannot be investigated! Pete ends his turn.

Oi. No poking around in here. You want to loiter, buy a drink or get out.

Are you serious? The entire drat train is being eaten!

That's a 'you' problem, bud. My problem is you're not buying a drat drink.

quote:

Round 3

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 2/4

Zoey draws Rotting Remains from the encounter deck and tests Willpower (3). 4 (-2) vs 3
Failure! Zoey takes 1 horror.

Ew, stuff isn't supposed to decay that fast.

quote:

Pete draws Grappling Horror from the encounter deck. Grappling Horror engages Pete.

A little HELP here?

I could recommend the Whiskey Sour. Goes well with tentacles, that.

quote:

Pete exhausts Drawing Thin, gains 2 resources and Fights Grappling Horror. 2 (-2) vs 5
Failure! Pete exhausts Rabbit's Foot and draws a card.

Pete exhausts Duke and Fights Grappling Horror. 4 (-2) vs 3
Failure! Pete spends 1 resource and plays Lucky! for +2 skill value.
Success! Pete deals 1 damage to Grappling Horror.

Pete spends 3 resources, gains 1 clue and takes an Attack of Opportunity from the Grappling Horror, taking 1 damage and assigning 1 horror to Duke.

Pete ends his turn.

Fine, I'll have a drat whiskey sour! Now get this thing off me!

Thank you for your patronage.

quote:

Zoey moves to the Parlor Car.

Zoey Fights Grappling Horror with the Enchanted Blade: 6 (-0) vs 3
Success! Zoey spends 1 charge, deals +1 damage, defeats the Grappling Horror and draws a card.

Zoey spends 3 resources and picks up a clue, then ends her turn.

There are no clues left on Parlor Car! The investigators may now move forward.

Gimme the strongest thing you got.

Comin' right up.

quote:

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 3/4

Zoey draws Frozen in Fear from the Encounter Deck.

Phew, that is strong stuff! What do you call it?

A 'Frozen in Fear'. It's my own invention.

Hmm, maybe work on that name a little.

quote:

Pete draws Emergent Monstrosity from the Encounter Deck. Emergent Monstrosity spawns at the train car to the right.

I sincerely hope those tentacles are just the whiskey talking.

Meow!

Yeah, that's a bit much to hope for.

quote:

Zoey gains 1 resource, then spends 2 resources and puts Safeguard into play.

Zoey gains 1 resource.

Pete commits Guts and Zoey tests Willpower (3). 6 (-2) vs 3
Success! Zoey discards Frozen in Fear and Pete draws a card.

Well, nice talking to you, but I suppose we've gotta get a move on. Want to come with us?

Nah, it's almost dinner time. Customers will be here any moment now.

Suit yourself. C'mon, let's bust this joint.

quote:

Pete exhausts Duke and moves with Zoey into the next Passenger Car.

...uh, is it sleeping?

I believe it needs some time to fully manifest in this reality.

We can probably keep it discorporated while it's in this state. You two go on ahead, we'll catch up later.

quote:

Pete discards Dr. Henry Armitage and Zoey discards Dr. Francis Morgan. No damage or horror taken.

Pete then commits Calling in Favors and Investigates: 5 (-3 from Elder Thing) vs 1
Success! Pete gains a clue.

Pete exhausts Augur and Investigates: 5 (-3 from Elder Thing) vs 1

There are no clues left on Passenger Car! The investigators may now move forward.

Pete discards Zeal and readies Duke, then moves with Zoey into the next Passenger Car.

...where's that screaming coming from? There's no one here.

I don't know, but we probably shouldn't stay here any longer than we have to.

By the way, here's the current state of our investigators. Even though we're making fairly good progress through the scenario, we're somewhat low on options - the constant discards from entering new cars means we don't have a lot in our hand, and we're still low on resources thanks to the Parlor Car earlier.

quote:

Pete takes 1 horror and assigns 1 horror to Miss Doyle.
Zoey discards Let me Handle This and Heroic Rescue. No Horror taken.

Pete then Investigates: 4 (-1) vs 2

Enemy Phase: Emergent Monstrosity readies.

Round 4

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 4/4

Agenda 1a advances. All doom removed.

Woof!

Yes thank you Duke, I know it's catching up to us!

Meow!

You're right, that was rude of me. My apologies.

quote:

The leftmost Passenger Car is discarded. All clues held are discarded.

Zoey draws Broken Rails from the encounter deck. Zoey and Pete lose an action.

Whoa! Should not have had that drink.

quote:

Pete draws Dissonant Voices from the Encounter Deck.

SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SCREAMING.

quote:

Zoey uses Sixth Sense and Investigates: 4 (-2) vs 2
Success! Zoey gains a clue.

Zoey uses Sixth Sense and Investigates: 4 (-2 from skull) vs 2
Success! Zoey gains a clue and ends her turn.

Pete exhausts Augur and Investigates: 5 (-1) vs 2

Pete exhausts Duke and moves with Zoey to the next Train Car.

Aw drat, there's luggage everywhere. This is going to take forever to clear.

STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU, BUT I AGREE.

quote:

Pete takes 1 damage and assigns 1 damage to Duke.
Zoey takes 2 damage.

Pete then Investigates: 4 (-3 from Elder Thing) vs 1
Success! Pete gains a clue, discards Dissonant Voices and ends his turn.

Round 5

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 1/3

Zoey draws Claws of Steam from the Encounter deck and tests Willpower (3). 4 (-3) vs 3
Failure! Zoey takes 2 damage and cannot move this turn.

Ow!

Were you trying to stab the monster made of scalding hot steam?

You never know until you try!

quote:

Pete draws Acolyte from the Encounter deck. Acolyte spawns at the Train Car to the right.

The Acolytes return to plague us once more. They're even more annoying in this scenario than they were in NOTZ, since we can't just chase them down and clear out their doom right away. One of the main reasons why this scenario can be so annoyingly swingy.

quote:

Zoey uses Sixth Sense and Investigates thrice: 4 (-0, -1, -3) vs 1
Triple Success! Zoey gains 3 clues and ends her turn.

With a mere 1 shroud, even Zoey can clear this location out fairly easily - though it would be another matter without Sixth Sense.

quote:

Pete exhausts Drawing Thin, commits 2 resources, commits Take Heart, then exhausts Duke and Investigates: 4 (+1) vs 3

As you can tell by the committed Take Heart, the original plan was to fail this test, grab 2 clues with Look what I found! and reap the bounty of failure. Still, I guess we can work with success.

quote:

Pete exhausts Augur and Investigates: 5 (-1) vs 1

Pete draws a card and ends his turn.

Enemy Phase: All enemies remain in play.

Round 6

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 3/3
Agenda 2a advances. All doom removed.

Oh no, the bar got sucked into the portal!

Good.

quote:

Zoey draws Claws of Steam from the Encounter deck and tests Willpower (3). 4 (-1) vs 3
Success! Zoey takes no damage.

Pete draws Ancient Evils from the Encounter Deck. 1 Doom is placed on the Agenda.

Why is it chasing me now?

I think you made it upset!

I'm going to make it a lot more than that when I get my hands on it!

quote:

Investigator Phase: Pete's Turn

Pete exhausts Duke and moves with Zoey into the Train Car. Acolyte engages Zoey and Zoey gains 1 resource.

I think he's sleeping. We can probably sneak by if we-

Have at thee, evildoer!

Huh? AAAAH!

Never mind.

quote:

Pete then Investigates: 4 (-0) vs 4

Pete discards Leo de Luca, readies Duke, then exhausts Duke and moves with Zoey into the Engine Car.

Act 1a advances.

Arrgh!

Ow!

Did you have to drag him with us?

There wasn't any time to finish him off!

quote:

Pete commits Resourceful and tests Agility (3). 4 (-1 from Cultist) vs 3
Success! Pete takes no Mental Trauma and returns Look What I Found! to his hand.

Zoey commits Overpower and tests Combat (3). 6 (+1) vs 3
Success! Zoey takes no Physical Trauma.

Pete then draws Arcane Barrier, Emergent Monstrosity and Helpless Passenger (which Surges into Ancient Evils) from the Encounter Deck.
Emergent Monstrosity spawns in Engine Car. Arcane Barrier attaches to Engine Car. 1 Doom added to the Agenda.

Let me in! Please, let me in!

Believe me, mister, you do NOT want to be in here.

Helpless Passengers are annoying. They spawn at a train car to your left, Surge into another encounter, require an action to Parley with and deal all investigators 1 horror when they leave play. If you have a straggler or two already at that location it might be worth picking them up, but otherwise I wouldn't bother going back for them - there's a high chance you might lose them to a Claws of Steam anyway.

Also, it might have gotten lost in all that, but we're still in the middle of Pete's 'move and investigate' action from Duke.

quote:

Pete spends 4 resources and plays Will to Survive. No tokens will be revealed for the rest of his turn.

Pete then Investigates: 4 vs 1

Pete Investigates: 2 vs 1

Okay, I think I've almost got it running. Can you pull the lever over there?

Hold on, I need to deal with this creature first. Armitage shall be avenged.

I'm not dead!

Zoey could indeed finish it up, but I really want the VP from killing this Emergent Monstrosity, and I'm reasonably sure that regardless of how bad our next draws are, there's nothing that could screw us over that badly.

quote:

Zoey commits Vicious Blow and Fights Emergent Monstrosity with Enchanted Blade. 7 (-0) vs 4
Success! Zoey deals 2 damage to Emergent Monstrosity.

Zoey Fights Emergent Monstrosity with Enchanted Blade. 6 (-2) vs 4
Success! Zoey deals 1 damage to Emergent Monstrosity.

Zoey commits Survival Knife and Fights Emergent Monstrosity with Enchanted Blade. 7 (-0) vs 4
Success! Zoey spends 1 charge, deals 2 damage and defeats Emergent Monstrosity, then draws a card, heals 1 horror and ends her turn.

Enemy Phase: Acolyte Attacks Zoey, dealing 1 damage to her.

Round 7

Mythos Phase: 1 doom placed on the Agenda. Doom Track: 3/4

Zoey draws Claws of Steam from the Encounter Deck, commits Rook and tests Willpower (3). 5 (-3) vs 3
Failure! Zoey takes 2 damage and cannot move.

I told you earlier, stabbing doesn't work on those things!

When this is all over, I'm going to look into extra-magical swords.

quote:

Pete draws Rotting Remains from the Encounter Deck and tests Willpower (3). 4 (-3 from skull) vs 3
Failure! Pete takes 2 horror.

Zoey spends 2 resources, plays Scene of the Crime and picks up 2 clues.

Based on the angle of the body, I'm pretty sure we need to pull that lever to get this thing going.

I told you about the lever earlier!

Let me have this one, okay?

quote:

There are no clues left on the Engine Car! Act 2a advances.

quote:

Resolution 1:

You breathe a sigh of relief as the gate behind the train collapses harmlessly upon itself. The few passengers who survived the ordeal seem unable to comprehend what just happened. One passenger mentions 'a pipe bursting in the rear car' and that quickly becomes the explanation for the innocent and ignorant, those who either cannot or choose not to delve further into the mystery. You, on the other hand, know better...although in hindsight, you wish you didn't.

- Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.

Once again, we earn 3 XP - 2 for clearing out the Parlor Car and Engine Car, and 1 for defeating one of the Emergent Monstrosities.

Some other notes before we move on:

Only six of the eight provided passenger cars are used to assemble the train, so this run we missed out on seeing these two particular cars.

Similarly, three engine cars are provided, but only one is used. This run, we got the variant with the lowest shroud, but with a 3-encounter card tradeoff.

Finally, if any investigators are defeated, whether by falling into the portal or through just plain taking too much damage/horror, they are subjected to "a hypnotic spectacle of lights, otherworldly sensations and altered geometry" before waking up in the middle of the woods, surrounded by train cars. This experience actually earns them one extra XP for their brush with the cosmos, but any story assets (the Professors and the Necronomicon) are stolen in the process, and they must add the 'Across Space and Time' weakness to their deck.

Fortunately for our team, we made it safely to Dunwich, and don't have to deal with any of that. What horrors await us there? We just might find out in the next update.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
That was a super cool scenario and creative use of game mechanics to simulate a train falling to pieces. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

I think you’re nailing the characterizations of Zoey and Pete, especially the former.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Definitely a very interesting scenario, although I see what people mean about RNG - if I'm reading it right, with 3 or 4 players you could draw enough Cultists or Ancient Evils to full party wipe turn 1? That's rough.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's plenty of combinations that can end your run early - here's how Attempt 1 went (though admittedly, part of that was on me):

A Rook search for Sixth Sense drew Smite the Wicked, spawning an Acolyte at the Engine Car (and turning up no Sixth Sense). On the first Mythos Phase, Zoey drew Broken Rails and everyone lost an action, while Pete drew Mysterious Chanting and dumped another 2 doom on the Acolyte. With no investigation tools in hand Zoey had no way to clear a clue off a 4-shroud location in 2 actions, and Pete couldn't quite manage it before the next round.

If this was a regular campaign I wouldn't have minded rolling with it, but it didn't really help to show off the scenario.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
This scenario. This is when it all started going downhill for us. We all got lost in time and space. Eventually it became a hobby.
Turns out you really can't afford any dead weight when it comes to investigating in this one. And when your leading investigation light gets sucked away because she didn't have enough actions to move up a car after opening the door for everyone else and a cultist chooses this time to show up and flip the agenda, things go pear-shaped *fast*.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just making sure the thread ain't dead.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Hopeful that this will continue.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Yeah, not to hassle or bump, but this thread was/is a hoot.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
So, I read the first mission of this let's play. Thought to myself. Okay. Better stop. This looks worth buying. Then the plague hit. I've never been able to play. Who knows when I will. Come back to the thread, read all of it. Realize it's on hiatus. Pray it isn't' cancelled. Just want to give a :thumbsup: to the OP, fabulously written let's play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Indeed, it inspired me to learn the game and grab the TTS mod (glad I did, since Asmodee had it taken off the workshop a week ago). Played through the core set and Dunwich using the LP's characters and had a blast!