Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1913 Another drawing because I was too mad at the other two to go to bed on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shinmera posted:

#1913 Another drawing because I was too mad at the other two to go to bed on time.

Hahaha oh man that feeling of 'ugh, gently caress this drawing!' is so real

I love this one, Shin. That composition is working for me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

tbh whenever that happens i usually just go to bed and revisit it at a later date so i can figure out what's not working for me with fresh eyes

day 3

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

"No one knows what it's like to be the sad clown."

That's really cool! Looks like a similar format to my coasters as well. What size are those squares and what material?

They're 3.5" x 3.5" artist tile sets. I think they might be intended just for "testing out" media before doing larger works, but I've been using them for doodling for ages now.

Black
https://amzn.to/3VYghWp
White
https://amzn.to/3X56ApO
Gray (4x4)
https://amzn.to/3GcMByI

Edit: Also, that clown seems fairly happy. As far as clowns go. A bit too happy. About something. :aaa:

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 4, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

HopperUK posted:

Hahaha oh man that feeling of 'ugh, gently caress this drawing!' is so real

I love this one, Shin. That composition is working for me.

Thanks, and thanks for your compliment on the previous page. It did help a little bit :unsmith:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 4

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Doodled a friend's new puppy.

(Right card was testing and figuring out the correct Copic markers to match the good good girl's coloration.)

Preliminary steps.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 5, 2023

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 5

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

"No one knows what it's like to be the sad clown."

I would like to know more about your process. You've made some amazing designs over the years and I'm quite curious to know how it all works. If you will, please enlighten us all.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 6, 2023

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Oooh that is a satisfying skin tone gradient

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hello artfriends! Is this same thread still working for everyone? Any opinions on a 2023 title?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Starting a new one might be good, maybe then we could finally break the "it's 2020 forever" curse.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

we could probably stand to workshop a new thread title. If there were a way to put emotes in thread titles I'd probably go with:
Daily Drawings 2023: :justpost:

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

also in the spirit of :justpost: I haven't had much in the tank recently but I've been trying to get back into drawing regardless of how bad it turns out. here's some attempts from the last couple weeks

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 6

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Are you doing this by hand?

Forgive me for asking but everything I do is by hand and your linework if you are is really good in my opinion.

The one with houses especially- just really eye catching and there's a market for all that for coloring definitely, I don't know if the time is passed for it?
It's interesting how appealing linework can be.

Everything posted here is so nice you can't stop and say something about everything sigh

I had so many people telling me I should make cards at my last craft fair that I started---- with Christmas cards :doh: it's ironic because I'm just going nuts and Christmas is all the way like 10 months from now and here I am making Christmas cards non-stop.

I don't even know how much the alcohol marker is going to fade lol.

Trees are surprisingly hard

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

That's a real dang good tree!

#1917 - Out and about

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 8, 2023

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Day 7

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Spinz posted:

Are you doing this by hand?

Forgive me for asking but everything I do is by hand and your linework if you are is really good in my opinion.
thank you. almost everything is by hand, some is pencil, some is pen. i struggle with sketching and drafting because of a fixation on clean lines.

quote:

Everything posted here is so nice you can't stop and say something about everything sigh
lol i know that feeling! these threads have been my favourites forever, just an endless wellspring of beautiful things. finding constructive things to say about other people's art that isn't just "love it!" is really difficult.

quote:

they really are. that's a fine tree, great balance of light and shade for dimensionality and the broad brushstrokes to capture the bristly softness of the foliage.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Realized after I started on the mouse that it should be a bit further up on the page to make them be on the same plane, whoops.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1919 - "Back off."

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Day 8

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

One of my New Years Resolutions is to try and do art more consistently - the goal is daily but that's obviously not going to happen so I'm trying to settle for at least a few times a week instead of going months without plugging my tablet in.

This is great. Keep it up!

Spinz posted:

I agree this is nice.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Accountability post.

I got a stylus today (a Huion Inspiroy H1060P, if it matters).

I've never been able to get myself over the hump of drawing. Watching my brother and my son bond over drawing reminded me how everybody in my family can draw except me.

I think I hate drawing because I hate, hate eraser marks. Dirty lines, etc.

A friend noted that if I got a digital stylus, I could work in layers, just like I do with my layout stuff. I had Affinity Photo so I said "gently caress it."

My son has a Christopher Hart draw shapes book, and I can't attempt Draw a Box again. So I'm just going to spend a month working my way through a kid's drawing book, because at least I'm making output, and I'll learn my stylus.

Day 1.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
OK I'm not just humoring you maybe that's exactly how it looks in the book but it's cute as hell, the face and head

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Spinz posted:

OK I'm not just humoring you maybe that's exactly how it looks in the book but it's cute as hell, the face and head

Thanks!

The entire book looks like this: https://christopherhartbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SHAPE-BY-SHAE-ANIMALS-1-e1507295518707.jpg

I can’t take much credit. But it’s the first time I’ve drawn a “thing” (instead of practicing boxes) in twenty years, so I’ll take the compliment.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
Trying to level up some more. Had some art sads, so I made something a bit spicy.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
January accountability post #2.

Tried Affinity Designer instead of Photo. Couldn't get the hang of vector drawing, switched to Pixel mode, which felt like an inferior Photo.

Probably bit off more than I could chew, trying a bunch of different brush sizes.

I'm going to watch some photos on clip masks in Affinity Photo (I think those words go together) tomorrow at lunch, because painting on layers has to be a little easier.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

IkeTurner posted:

I would like to know more about your process. You've made some amazing designs over the years and I'm quite curious to know how it all works. If you will, please enlighten us all.

Well - it started with a sketch of a random instagram clown. Then I took a photo of the sketchbook (scanning is better of course) and went to town in photoshop cleaning it up and punching the values. So I adjusted the levels and used some dodge and burn mostly. Some clone stamp too and that sort of stuff. Once I had a nice digital copy I printed it out on a nice epson printer and set it on fire. The cracking texture is the nice print out being torched on the edges. Lastly I glued it to some wood and added epoxy. The last step of adding epoxy is not really necessary and completely messed up the piece. Rippling around the edges far too much.

You can see the effect here but I am ready to make another one. Maybe without epoxy this time.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd4nY62Oa9G/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The rippling kind of ruins it for me.
The coasters were just the same image but laser burned onto wood.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I don't usually share my stupid doodles but I want to try and be more creative so I thought I'd force myself to share.

I've been meaning to start serious practice and improve but never seem to have the bandwidth for drawabox or whatever.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Release announce drawing for my game, Kandria

#1922: 30 minute landscape sketch

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shinmera posted:

Release announce drawing for my game, Kandria

#1922: 30 minute landscape sketch

Oh poop, I saw this on hacker news today! Congrats! Envious re lisp.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

Well - it started with a sketch of a random instagram clown. Then I took a photo of the sketchbook (scanning is better of course) and went to town in photoshop cleaning it up and punching the values. So I adjusted the levels and used some dodge and burn mostly. Some clone stamp too and that sort of stuff. Once I had a nice digital copy I printed it out on a nice epson printer and set it on fire. The cracking texture is the nice print out being torched on the edges. Lastly I glued it to some wood and added epoxy. The last step of adding epoxy is not really necessary and completely messed up the piece. Rippling around the edges far too much.

You can see the effect here but I am ready to make another one. Maybe without epoxy this time.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd4nY62Oa9G/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The rippling kind of ruins it for me.
The coasters were just the same image but laser burned onto wood.

Thanks for the info! Great stuff.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

I liked this one, especially for the shading around the eyes