Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do think we need to keep up a certain degree of outreach to the fubpees, if only because a group of radicalised weirdos who hate the government are quite useful to have on your side (and can rapidly become very dangerous if you don't court them - injured privilege breeds fascism, and there's going to be a lot of injured privilege going around). No need to throw anyone else under the bus for them, of course, but I think they'll be an important faction in the next few years as Brexit really starts to bite, and they're both an opportunity and a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Keep politics out of my Call of Duty. Thanks.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
I regret to inform you, etc

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1223325986697236482?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Katt posted:

Keep politics out of my Call of Duty. Thanks.

(insert Clausewitz quote here).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Architects and painters know precisely what they are about as long as they deal with material phenomena. But when they come to the aesthetics of their work, when they aim at a particular effect on the mind or on the senses, the rules dissolve into nothing but vague ideas.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I appear to have accidentally done Dry January

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I appear to have accidentally done Dry January

Huh, now you mention it I think I would have if I didn't decide to open the christmas bucks fizz yesterday to have with lunch.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Looking forward to our new sea border at 23:00 :laugh:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just accept your crippling alcohol addiction you cowards.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On the same principal (don't just listen to the first few seconds of the Ice-T monologue at the start, he moves into the class war 'no lives matter')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlk7o5T56iw

No Live Matters is such a jam.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Still love to laugh at the evolution of gamers from
2000s: video games are art and should be treated like art, snobby old rich guys turned their noses up at moving pictures and modern art too, we'll have our day soon
to
2010s: why is this bitch doing Marxist feminist analysis of my video games who the gently caress does that can't games just be fun not everything needs academic criticism

I was being flippant but I turn my ire as equally on brown games as I do on walking simulators. "Make the oblong man in armour say snarky things in a deep voice between murdering people" is just as poo poo as "Here's my rejected NaNoWriMo about a spooky tree except now in Unreal Engine".

Both are bad art because they don't actually use the medium to it's fullest extent, or really to any extent at all. Video games are a potentially amazing form for story telling and are often used that way - where they fail is when makers actually want to use it to instead make sub-Michael-Bay action movies or terrible short story compilations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've just never seen a group of people or subculture get so mad about getting something they supposedly so wanted before.

I suspect that might be outdone in about 11 months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The desire, I think, was for uncritical acceptance and status.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pig ignorant cunts

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1223342629456371719

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could he not get a tin of tetley's or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's a deep dig at Belgium. We're pouring your beer on the ground and your flag.

Maybe.

OwlFancier posted:

The desire, I think, was for uncritical acceptance and status.
You'd think they might ask for that instead, rather than asking to be treated like art as cinema and modern art now is, both notable for never having any academic crit.

I'm sure Marcuse wrote something about how people don't ask for what they actually want, but what they've been told they should want in order to feel accepted. Which probably applies equally to the gamer and the beer man.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

You'd think they might ask for that instead, rather than asking to be treated like art as cinema and modern art now is, both notable for never having any academic crit.

I'm sure Marcuse wrote something about how people don't ask for what they actually want, but what they've been told they should want in order to feel accepted. Which probably applies equally to the gamer and the beer man.

Well yeah that's the thing, I don't think they were actually asking for reality, they were wanting all the important people to look at their games and go "hmm yes very classic yes fine use of beige yes hmm I shall spend a million billion pounds to buy a copy of this fine art"

So the transition from weirdos like jack thompson critcising things they don't understand to anita sarkeesian criticising things she certainly understands better than thompson ever did, doesn't constitute an improvement, because the objection is to the criticism, because fundamentally gamers are nerds and nerds don't like people criticising them. Because a lot of them had some bad experiences with that growing up and a lot of the early internet was about cultivating a false sense of superiority to counteract that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Welp weve vanquished jeremy corbyn and GOT BREXIT DONE. Now its time to eat hot links and die from overeating raddished

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a puddle on the ground is the only acceptable place for Stella

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

Oh gods is this ever accurate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

a puddle on the ground is the only acceptable place for Stella

Please, at least half our home-grown lagers are worse

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if they'll all get drunk and try to storm parliament and end up getting shot by the cops.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope some jihadi fuckwit drives a truck through them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if they'll all get drunk and try to storm parliament and end up getting shot by the cops.
And then one of them dictates a lovely book while in prison...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I hope some jihadi fuckwit drives a truck through them.

I don't, because that just means they're going to go all Kristallnacht on anyone vaguely brown in London.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that sounds like something that could only go in a bad direction.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Seriously honestly the best outcome is that they go home slightly disheartened that Brexit didn't suddenly magic them into millionaires.

Any violence that kicks off makes things worse unless they literally turn on each other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's the thing I dunno how well adjusted the kind of weirdo to attend a bloody brexit party in january on the front yard of the house of commons is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Day after the brexit vote, some euro immigrants got threats to gtfo.
Same thing will happen over the next few days.
Won't take long for some of the gammons to start their own ICE gangs to harass the local chinese or indian restaurants.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

happyhippy posted:

Day after the brexit vote, some euro immigrants got threats to gtfo.
Same thing will happen over the next few days.
Won't take long for some of the gammons to start their own ICE gangs to harass the local chinese or indian restaurants.

It'll start off with anyone who looks vaguely east asian, because of coronavirus.

There will be no logic offered as to why people think east asian people are remotely connected with europe.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I do think we need to keep up a certain degree of outreach to the fubpees, if only because a group of radicalised weirdos who hate the government are quite useful to have on your side (and can rapidly become very dangerous if you don't court them - injured privilege breeds fascism, and there's going to be a lot of injured privilege going around). No need to throw anyone else under the bus for them, of course, but I think they'll be an important faction in the next few years as Brexit really starts to bite, and they're both an opportunity and a threat.

Thought Slime just put out a good video with a similar argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEMOpOdfAxo

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Nice German car :hmmyes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, you do, but you can't achieve that by exorting people who have not already been ideologically crushed, into violence. Because they won't be doing the crushing in the name of your preferred ideology.

It also presents a problem if your ideology is not centered around crushing things generally? People into crushing generally create societies based around crushing. And the only one of those I might be OK living in is the one where Ms A is general secretary.

Please use my proper, legal title: Foremost Dominatrix.

Also lol I thought we were meant to be parting from the EU as friends who still intended to have close ties and to enjoy comity, even if we no longer have comity, but seems to me like the gammons are taking this as an opportunity to be twats pouring stella on an EU flag. :thunk:

Hour to go lassies, not extremely jazzed itbt

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
eh, I think when the rewards of brexit start getting delivered, the idiots will no longer need to justify it by retconning it into the cause of every bad thing

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1223333109011296257

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Thirty minutes. Welp.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just saw the EU supergirl on the BBC and now I hope this island sinks in 20 mins

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I just saw the EU supergirl on the BBC and now I hope this island sinks in 20 mins

My God, she's still on the shitlib grift

To hell with it, one more time before the Baphomet returns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVANiQR0WYc

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Venomous posted:

My God, she's still on the shitlib grift

To hell with it, one more time before the Baphomet returns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVANiQR0WYc

My mind can't keep how bad this is inside it. Every time I watch it, within minutes it's been largely erased and I only have the general sense that it is atrociously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Less than ten minutes until many of us breathe freedom for the first time in our lives.