Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
why the gently caress do you want yet another middle east war for fucks sake stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Boris says "Hold my sherry".

At least Palmerston gave us those cool forts, the only physical legacy of Bojo's Wild Ride is going to be some new 50ps.

also bridges! or well, more likely promises and sketches and excuses for the lack of.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
how the gently caress does this forums drama stuff keep happening when every goon's like 37+ years old

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
travel's hugely overrated, everywhere's much the same imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
with the climate crisis, deepfakes and VR ending the flight, selfie and experience factors of travel respectively, the travel era is rapidly coming to a close. just go somewhere and stay there

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

Feel like this may be the gooniest single post ever.

I'll be honest, I didn't think "going around and broadening your horizons

this horizon of yours is an artifact of vision. it does not have "breadth", and if it did, that measure would not be improved by relocation. you can attain a greater depth of view of course (think draw distance). the best horizon is attained at high altitude, anywhere that's out at sea far enough that no part of your field of view is obscured by land.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I guess if you like ticks. And bolshy curlews which technically aren't insects but also like to hide in the heather and then jump out at you.

There's probably a lot more but I don't go looking, generally lots of butterflies in the forest though.

ticks aren't insects either, they're arachnids. the only bad arachnids

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

big ben smashing the tower and collapsing the whole loving heap on 'brexit day' (ugh) would be the most beautiful metaphor in 100 years

brexit eve, surely? or when the bell tolls i guess.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7oJ11PjiQ

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

The idea that not having children is a heritable trait is nonsensical on many levels.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

otoh how your parents raise you is technically inherited

it's not, really

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i'm in favour of consensual parenthood.

i won't google it but if i did, i wonder if that statement would hit more abortions rights or "men's rights" stuff

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ratjaculation posted:

i've said it before, and i'll say it again i don't sweat, i can't sweat, i didn't sweat

it is one of many bodily functions I shed on the honouraburu path hidden amongst the leaves

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I don't contend that everyone should stay where they're at, what I don't respect is the tinder profile "love to travel", with all the airports, crowded beaches, tourist-exclusive night clubs and backpack selfies. Carved yourself a niche back home that's so narrow and thin you need to leave it in order to "feel free"? Yeesh

The airports I hate in particular. anyone else noticed how liberals seem to regard ~the Airport~ as a temple of freedom and free commerce, when in fact they're just the worst kind of bus stop combined with three-storey mall? complete with stores and restaurants paying steep premiums for market capture.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

stev posted:

This seems like a pretty bold assumption.

too spicy a take for ukmt: you're not required to validate and applaud the choice of accessories some social media person makes to market their personal brand.

a slippery slope, yes. you start out making fun of someone's semi-anonymous potemkin façade, next your grinding babies into fertilizer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

crispix posted:

Every day is a school day for you, eh? :laugh:

code:
              /--[>>>>] [ur post]
             /    ___
[>>>>]------/    /^O^\
               [my head]

but nah. every day is a living hell, more like

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Question IRL posted:

Unification sir. Data said that Ireland had achieved full Unification in 2024. When TNG was on the airwaves, Ireland had been an Independent Nation for some time.

"at least it was tastefully done" - the London Times, reviewing the 2045 Dr. Who Brexit 25th anniversary special

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
here's a travelogue for you guys hope u like it

preface: in sweden and neighboring countries, the public has rights to access, wander about, camp and forage on public and privately held land. this doesn't include planted fields or buildings, but lakes, forests, stuff like that.

I'm a loner weirdo and the only thing that can force me to leave my apartment is the desperate need of even more solitude. So what I do is I check out weird places that look weird, and then go to them--like, something that's within walking distance or within an hour's drive or something like that, depending on how much time I have to waste.So, I sometimes waste time on google maps, looking at the satellite shots and how they compare to the map of the same area, like, looking for things that might be cool. anyway I see something like this,

which, after an hour or so of not-quite-trails through the forest, nets me this:

my very own little cliffside, so flat and near the water I could lie down comfortably while splashing about with my feet. I spent the entire day there, reading some e-books and swimming about naked and mourning the end of summer

I noticed a couple other photos from last year. I take very few, and I suck at it pretty badly so i won't mind that u scroll past

ruins of an old water mill, north of stockholm. somebody left the water on

north of Umeå somewhere. Ruins of building of some sort? the lake is turning into a luxurious mire of mixed grasses and mosquito eggs, they probably had great view a decade ago

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the british antarctic bases are still using 40 year old equipment which needs 40 year old programming languages to function.

Much like when I went to college in 2006 and the physics department computer was a BBC micro.

wonder when antarctica becomes a legit option for data centers? and how long before it's the only option available.

this will be my steaming hot take of choice whenever possible benefits of the climate crisis are discussed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Harvesting neutrinos sounds like a couple orders of magnitude more frustrating than herding cats.

you're saying this like we were still stuck in the ante-blockchain era

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

A currency based on something that scarcely interacts with reality sounds very Brexit.

neutri-coin, awarded to miners that log separately confirmed individual neutrino detections. or rather, doesn't

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
where's the moon gifs

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

If humans had dicks that were twice their body length and were stored inside before being fired out under hydraulic pressure that would also be terrifying.

Also the things that they do with them, which is also among the reasons why Jimmy Savile was terrible.

you really should use all of Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG's titles in all circumstances

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
anyone wanna mail me some brexit coins? I'll trade them for some delicious Swedish salty "licorice"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Heh

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

This is all funny until someone buys something for 1,99 and finds themselves down 200

" [...], but when the british PM was, to all appearances, lying flat on the table with wallet splayed open, the crack team of British para-bureaucrats changed Mr. Barnier's Windows region settings into "French (Switzerland)", "

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

only to find it was the rebate amount per month during the transition period

[...] which necessitated yet another redesign of the 2020 Brexit 50p coin, this time to remove the comma after the word "prosperity". Thus, the phrase would, in accordance with resolutions §223:14-14:4, no longer enforce the implied 1:1 JPY-GBP conversion rate for the purposes of the future negotiations. the arcane application of advanced accountancy did not come without its costs--the brexit coin itself, though claiming a value of £0.50, cannot theoretically be accepted as legal tender in northern Ireland,

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Are the Daily Star still terrified of black eyed ghost children?

nah that's fixed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't find any names, but this has been known about for a couple of years.

quote:

Left-wing candidate Rebecca Long-Bailey has said that shadow cabinet files were deleted by a frontbench Labour colleague who resigned during the 2016 leadership challenge.

The contender to replace Jeremy Corbyn in the ongoing internal election was speaking at a retirement party for Ronnie Campbell, the former Labour MP for Blyth Valley who retired last month.

Long-Bailey appeared to suggest that a member of the shadow Treasury team in 2016 deleted shared files when MPs stepped down en-masse shortly before a leadership challenge took place.

She told the audience how she watched Rob Marris, then MP for Wolverhampton South West, resign from his shadow ministerial role during a committee meeting in parliament. Long-Bailey said he “flounced off”.

Describing the unfolding events, the Corbynite frontrunner added that she had a “feeling that something wasn’t right” and rushed back to her office where a staff member told her that shared files had gone.
https://labourlist.org/2020/01/long-bailey-says-2016-coup-plotters-deleted-shadow-cabinet-files/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's normally just an age thing though - the SD standard has been updated as miniaturisation (and price) has made it practical to stuff more and more in. It doesn't normally cost anything more in hardware or software* to make your device compatible with the 1TB ones which are available now than the 32GB ones which were as big as the standard allowed ten years ago, but you will normally have to redesign your device (or at least rewrite the firmware which may or may not be possible) to allow it, so loads of stuff will have a ceiling of whatever the standard said a few years before they were made. For a while you could get full-size SD cards that would allow you to partition them as multiple smaller cards and switch between them, to allow older devices to use them, but I've not seen one in a while.

*The exception being if you need very high-speed access to large files (e.g. for video cameras) where you'll need considerably more on-board RAM and CPU for the interface as the size ramps up otherwise you get big bottlenecks.

From the manufacturer's view that's pretty much it yeah, they need to write something in the specs so people don't yell at them. If you're a consumer with a card and a thingy and wondering what happens when you put the one into the other, the maximum capacity specs may low ball it and may in some cases not be particularly close to what the device can work with.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

baka kaba posted:

Do comma havers still say the local equivalent of "point" though?

not me, its name's "comma", which is understood as "the thing that's the decimal separator". and yeah when I realized someone used periods instead I thought it was p weird too, I would hazard about equally weird as you find it. the rabbit hole doesn't end there either, using a period to separate thousands like "100.000,00" would be a coherent if ill-advised way to write the number "one million". I think the French also do this, and other places too for sure. A more common way is to use a space separating the thousands, like "100 000,00"

numbers are represented and understood mentally in lots of ways that don't come across over the internet. like, around here we usually memorize longer numbers like phone numbers in digit groups of two, so I'd only parse something like

by mental conversion into "zero seven eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". The written format I'd use would never be anything other than "0787-65 43 21", anything else looks ugly and wrong to me. If someone reads my phone number back to me to confirm it, but they use some other format, I'd have to convert it mentally first

I've been led to believe english-speakers usually don't do this? This is only the second-most common verbal phone number format in use here though, behind the wrong and ugly "zero, seven hundred-and-eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". the "seven hundred and eighty-something" is a lot less cumbersome to say in Swedish, which it has in common with some, but definitely not all, other continental germanics languages

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bobstar posted:

So you have to wait for the conclusion of each pair, or write the digits down really weirdly (right-hand one then left-hand one, and repeat). So I found this illogical, and thought these languages would be perfect candidates for the one-digit-at-a-time method.

we're only ever really genius-level great at learning language when we're idiots in every other sense so all our feelings about language are probably wrong. I'd expect the verbal representation to take precedence--it's the one learned first, after all. I agree that using "most significant digit" order for mental representation feels better, but german's got lots of linguistic stuff that seems backwards to me--there's nothing stopping them from mentally processing a number as if it were "a series of two-digit decimal numbers, read from right to left (in least-to-most significant digit order)". they shouldn't, sure, but there's nothing stopping them

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the wrongest language is danish. even they can't defend their numbering system

quote:

The Danish number names are too confusing for kids learning maths, says a neuro mathematics researcher, proposing that Danes adopt the numeral system used by their Scandinavian neighbours in Sweden and Norway.

In Danish, counting above 50 is centred around a base 20 number system, called ‘vigesimal’, whereas most languages use the much simpler decimal numeral system, which is based on 10.

The Danish number 50, for example, is halvtreds (short for halvtredje sinds tyve) – or to say it numerically, 2.5 x 20.

This and further complications with Danish numerals has inspired researcher Lisser Rye Ejersbo and her colleagues at the University of Aarhus to propose that Danes adopt a simpler way of talking about numbers. She suggests a decimal-based system such as the Swedish one, where 50 is femti (five ten).

“The Danish numbers are a hurdle for children trying to learn mathematics,” she told science weekly Ingeniøren. “If you don’t fully understand how the numbers are positioned in relation to the words, you’ll have trouble understanding numbers in general. The names of Danish numbers say nothing about the numbers themselves.”

That, according to Ejersbo, is one explanation for Danish kids’ bad maths results, highlighted in the recently published Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).

“What sets the Danish usage apart is that we say the numbers in reverse order, and that’s not logical for the kids.” The Danish 71, for instance, is called enoghalvfjerds (1 and 3½ x 20).

In France they also use old vigesimal names, but theirs is in the right order – as with the French number 91 (quatre-vingt-onze), which is 4 x 20 + 11.

She pointed out that some Danish teachers have started telling the smallest school kids the number names in Swedish to make it easier for them to understand numbers.

The Danish Language Council has backed the proposal, but the council doubts if such a change would work in practice.

“It would be great if we could change the Danish number names,” said Margrethe Heidemann Andersen, a researcher at the language council. “But it wouldn’t work because once we have learned the number names, we have internalised them to such a degree that replacing them would probably cause even more confusion.”

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

A 15-month-old Croatian child understands approximately 150 words, while a Danish child of the same age understands just 84 on average.

It’s not because Danish kids are dumb, or because Croatian kids are geniuses. It’s because Danish has too many vowel sounds, according to Dorthe Bleses, a linguist at the Center for Child Language at the University of Southern Denmark.

“The number of vowels has big significance for how difficult it is to learn a language. Many vowels makes a difficult language,” Bleses told Weekendavisen newspaper in 2011.

Forty vowel sounds to master
The official number of vowels in Danish is nine: a, e, i, o, u, æ, ø, å and y.

“’Y’ isn’t a vowel,” you say? Well, in Danish it is. In Danish, even consonants are vowels.

But written Danish is not the issue. The problems start when Danes speak. In spoken speech, Danish actually has some 40 vowel sounds, explained Bleses, depending upon where the vowels are placed in words and sentence strings.
'

The stuff about vowels is wrong though. danish doesn't use any vowels, they use something halfway between diphthong and vomit

quote:

While marvelling at Danish pronunciation is an amusing pastime for tourists, immigrants and other Scandinavians, the irony is that the pronunciation is terribly hard even for Danish children to learn.

Bleses researched how children in seven different cultures acquire their native languages. Of the seven – Danish, Swedish, Dutch, French, American English, Croatian and Galician – she found that Danish was the most difficult for children to learn.

yeah well, not to mention, it's not a beautiful language. Swedish isn't always pretty to be sure. but if you're into (genuine) vowel there's nowhere better.. particularly a bit to the north

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYVwhOlTl0

now that's some very nice vowel

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

There's a large difference between unavoidable circumstance debt (which should be covered socially)

yea, your landlord can buy yr debt and collect it by threatening to evict you, then doing it when the debt's paid.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
ooh, I thought you wrote asocially. nvm then

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That Italian Guy posted:

With the backstop dead and the 31st of January almost here, what's the situation on the Irish border?

Edit: 138 is the number of ideas Johnson doesn't have to fix this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/loyalists-on-brexit-a-one-way-route-to-an-economic-united-ireland-1.4155385

I dunno much but it doesn't sound great

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

yeah well, that's a fairly condescending comment. not that it isn't apt.

can you even be a loyalist after you've been betrayed? like, loyal to what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Julio Cruz posted:

let's see what else the Great British Press is talking about today (well, yesterday)

boo hoo hoo for the poor middle class

ironicat the size of the universe dot jpg

I can't make any sense of that unless students from "the wealthiest neighborhoods" are disproportionately middle class. i'm sure that's the case