Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Happy new year comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/gilescoren/status/1212370333602369536

:lol: Just another day in the very normal life of Giles Coren in AD 2020.
(Screencapped incase he deletes it).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/_Snape_/status/1212988082166718465
Harry Potter delenda est.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

"As a working class who grew up on council pop, I find it shameful that members of my own party voted against the Tory 'Kill the Poor Act 2020'. It's bad that the Tories do want to kill the poors, but as I discussed in conversation with my BFF Jacko Moggs, we really should know our place as social inferiors. Also Babs."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Also we need to start talking about nonces what touch kids *entire Tory benches cough nervously* and plot together in their mosks and kebab shops and whatnot *posh cheering noises*

gently caress me it's gonna be grim if she gets even close. Although I suspect this is just to boost her profile, without any real expectations of actually winning.

Starmer would be bad in the usual bland centrist management way - he's not very inspiring, very suspect actions he's supported in the past, and couldn't really be trusted to not try to lurch things back a decade or so.

Jessflaps would be worse; she's entirely self-serving at best, and a wrecker/Tory-enabler at worst.

RottenK posted:

https://twitter.com/billoislove/status/1213177323131953153

lol looks like being a piece of poo poo wrecker does not, in fact, stop the right from smearing you anyways

Ha!

They've spent the entirety of Corbyn's leadership aiding and abetting the press with this sort of poo poo...and they're loving suprised the press turned on them the second Corbyn seemed diminished as a threat.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Shocking revelations about Phillips, from a colleague of the missing hard-hitting journalist, Wurrance Telephene.
https://twitter.com/CecilCentigrade/status/1208812569009541121

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I think the internet's poisoned my brain, because I first saw this:

[e]:

That's pretty catchy (never played Warframe).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 7, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thought I'd share this brain numbing poo poo:
https://twitter.com/frucool/status/1215611247753940993
https://twitter.com/davidbent/status/1215611763393208320
https://twitter.com/roblake1959/status/1215582142530539522
https://twitter.com/dhofstetter_x/status/1215610263753428992
https://twitter.com/AtlasFuture/status/1215616256830779392

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rarity posted:

I like the bit where they acknowledge that capitalists are parasites

It's almost honest - they acknowledge that capitalism in its current form is unsustainable, but...what if it could be (:thunk:) by means of techblather and nonsense and something something environment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sebzilla posted:

It belongs in a museum!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pilchenstein posted:

Smearing Corbyn over antisemitism worked so well that the next Labour leader will almost certainly be smeared the same way. Press attacks on the leader are 100% guaranteed to happen and who the leader is and what they've done in life will have almost no bearing on the direction or intensity of those attacks and you're an absolute mug if you think otherwise. There is no safe pick for leader that will avoid being called turbohitler 3.0 so just pick based on policies and stop being a loving melt.

Pretty much. The attacklines are pretty predictable for whoever gets it.

Starmer is Ultra Remainer London Lawyer. Ignoring the fact that he's probably the one they actually want in the most.
RLB is Corbyn2.0 - and in her case they've already started trying to disparage her :airquote: weird :airquote: hobby of...sitting on the couch and relaxing with her kids in her time off. Probably because she appears to be the one most likely to continue with the current Labour trajectory, and thus a legitimate threat. And by god they'll do their damnedest to convince the general public she makes the buses late, the milk sour, and babies cry.
Jessflaps would be an unceasing tirade of misogynistic gammonati sneering at at her, aided by her readiness to push further right to please them.

But yeah, regardless of who gets in, and what policies they enact, labour will still be claimed to have an AS problem (when it's convenient), and any policies will be reported as frivolous, unrealistic, or treacherous Marxist sorcery.

[e]:
:lol:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 12, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I know they were writing for entirely different ends, and for different audiences, and not otherwise comparable aside from being fantasy and featuring wizards, but I think of how Pratchett uses dwarfs and golem as allegory for LGBT+ identities, civil rights, class struggle, and in (the case of the golems) slavery. and how things change in that society...

And compare that to the Harry Potter narrative lightly mocking the character trying to free actual indentured slaves (who love being slaves - really!), and how their utterly toxic society based on blood purity is presented as pretty good actually, with their only goal is to restore the failed status quo that sided with the wizard fash the minute he was back.

Again, that's not entirely fair as a comparison, but holy gently caress seeing how Harry Potter has infected peoples brains.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bundy posted:

JK Rowling is a loving hack that writes horrible plot hole ridden shite filled with middle class racist tropes and it angers me greatly that it's held up as some great loving literary triumph

My favourite part of Harry Potter lore is wizards used to poo themselves in their robes, and magic away the piss and poo poo.

And also that Rowling's detecive fiction is somehow worse than Harry Potter.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Adequate posted:

Scale Olympus Mons?

Olypmus Mons has such a gentle incline (despite its vast size), it would probably feel like walking up a mild hill. A mild hill the area of Poland, but still.

The real goal is to be the first person to nut into a black hole. Or be the first person to die some embarrassing death, like "First auto-erotic asphyxiation on Pluto", or "First person who drank liquid methane on Titan", or "First sunbather on Mercury".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

"first" person to nut "into" a black hole seems like it would be a difficult concept given the effects of black holes on spacetime.

Well we're not going to be loving galactic phenomena anytime soon with that sort of attitude! :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Spalec posted:

I hope Big Ben burns down on the 31st in front of a million gammons.

Mark Francois Reaction:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 16, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azza Bamboo posted:

okay but what secret message is that brooch sending?

"Send Children. The souls for me, the bodies for Andrew"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So he's the sidekick's sidekick? Why is he suddenly all over the place? What did he do to get this platform?

Best I can tell, it started on QT, and now he's some gammon anti-woke champion saying that black and working class actors should know their place and not complain about being black and working class if they get famous. Or some poo poo. And other stuff that amounts to "What if Jordon Peterson, but a bit part actor from a spin off of a detective tv show".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

loving :lol:
---

Unrelated, Jessflaps already setting up excuses if she fails to become labour leader:

"Hustings are a bad way to decide who would make a good Labour leader posted:

I said at the beginning of this process that I would tell the truth. I said that I was the bold choice and only bold could beat Boris Johnson, and I meant it. And then I did something I didn’t think I would do, and I stopped being bold. I didn’t lie, but I certainly stopped being real. I really believe that authentic, big-hearted, funny, kind and different politics is the only way to beat Johnson. So I am going to practise it.

So now for the honesty.

I hated the first hustings on Saturday. Genuinely the most inspiring moment was the sound of a baby crying in the audience. That was Baby Alfie, whose mother I knocked doors with while he was still safe in the womb. She knocked doors in the rain, in a seat we lost, while she was nine months pregnant and in possible slow labour.

The hustings was awful. I was awful because I was trying to hit a million different lines and messages in 40 seconds. Some were my lines, some were other people’s, and it fell flat.

It was not all my failing. The format of the hustings is terrible. To answer any question in 40 seconds is ridiculous. If it were possible to sum up, for example, an economic plan or an industrial strategy in 40 seconds, one wonders why they are actually hundreds of pages long. What a ridiculous farce.

[...]

Ready for some more honesty? The likelihood that anyone but Keir Starmer or Rebecca Long-Bailey is going to win is, well, pretty low. Shock horror! What I am meant to say is, “Anything is possible, the campaign is long.” I get it. I am not blind. The likelihood of someone like me, who speaks like I do and says the things I say, ever being elected to be a party leader is slim. So I tried to do what was required, to learn lines, appear statesmanlike (as if!) and say the things I am meant to say. Turns out I cannot do it, because when I try it looks fake.

Also, I don’t think it is what leadership actually looks like. Leadership to me is deeds not words.

[...]

I might not look the most like a prime minister in this race. I cannot win that war so I am going to stop fighting it. I am going to do the thing that made tens of thousands of people ask me to run to be the leader. I am going to say what I think. I probably won’t win, but I am guessing that I might just inspire others to give it a go, too. I believe that the only way to beat a compulsive liar, who thinks only of himself but has the gift of the gab, is to be brutally honest, give a real toss about the people in our country and also have the gift of the gab. I could be wrong, but I would rather give this way a go than ever deliver a line in 40 seconds again.

TBF she isn't wrong about the format of the hustings necessarily , but holy hell that's a lot of laying groundwork for excuses about why it's likely she's going to have her arse handed to her.

Did a frequency count on the text; you'll all be shocked to know the 2nd highest word frequency at 48 out of 964 was the pronoun, "I". :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean, hustings aren't how we decide who is Labour leader. The election is. I'd bet that a significant proportion iof the membership never actually see a hustings.

I meant in the sense of 40 secs to answer a question - but it's clear why that's there - too easy to waffle on otherwise. And yeah, the actual election is the important thing, it's just amusing to see her flub it - even though she's clearly doing this to boost her profile rather than having any actual expectations of winning.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MikeCrotch posted:

Seems like Jess Phillips is basically setting up for the fact that the media are lapping up Lisa Nandy instead of her

I am really puzzled by Jess Phillips motivations here - she basically seems to be going out of her way to antagonise the Labour membership, which would make sense if he wants to continue her media grift. But it seems like she actually wants power at some point? In which case it really does seem like she bought into her own hype and is now facing the consequences

It boosts her profile. And from her perspective, it's win-win to go for it.

If she gets 0.00% of the votes, she goes back to the back benches and continues to be a wrecker/prop up the Tories/assist the labour melts. There's also always the slim prospect of a cabinet seat if one of the melts gets in. Or an authenticrat rent-a-gob when the press come calling (while also letting her know she's at their mercy for coverage).

And if she (somehow) wins, then she'll openly attempt to reverse the last four years and bring the party back to Sensible Grownup CentrismTM...while also aiding and abetting the Tories. But just with a sad face drawn on in marker.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don't know if that's true, honestly. Flips was doing pretty well boosting her profile without running for leader, and while it's plausible that the fawning profiles will evaporate now that there's no need to undermine Corbyn*, jumping into a leadership contest you don't think you can win is a gamble, profile-wise. Burnham and Cooper managed to come out of 2015 looking like contenders that got beat; Kendall was a joke. If Flips polls at current numbers all this contest is going to do is cement her as a fringe loon.

I figure she genuinely thought she had a shot. Just wildly misread the tea leaves.

This is true.

I'm just trying to think of it from the perspective of someone presenting themselves as an egotist, rather than an actual egotist themselves...although if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck - just me overthinking :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 20, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Speaking of the pod, the promised Star Wars episode has been recorded and quite obviously is later than expected in coming out. I’m hoping to have it edited and released on Wednesday night. Sorry for the delay folks!

Missed out on being on the star wars pod, drat. Oh well, maybe another time.

Gonna assume its about the crazy racist gently caress reaction to the new trilogy, rather than the fun bonkers old EU stuff like Han Solo fighting a giant space otter, or robot Princess Leia assassinating a three-eyed (fake) son of the Emperor at their "Dark Imperial Wedding".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

School history lessons replacing all white boys with "little white cuck balls", reporter alleges.

"Different ethnic races as stormtroopers!? More like SJWtroopers!" :mad:
"It's not believable that a woman can use space magic without training" :mad::mad:
"Real diversity in Stars wars is more aliens. not black people!" :mad::mad::mad:

And so on, and much more worse. Truly a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
---

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1218971900732309504
:thunk:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 20, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I hope you’re ready for the grand unifying centrist theory about Star Wars.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of arseholes suddenly clenched in terror...I fear something terrible has happened.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Question IRL posted:

You mean Trikloyps? The Emperor's three eyed son who wanted peace, but at night designed all these Imperial Death machines while he dreamed?

That's some great poo poo.

No that was his real son - Trioculus was the other three-eyed guy who pretended to be the Emperor's son. I love the old EU - such great nonsense. :v:

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly I am hoping that the Star Wars talk is about the politics in the new film.

I've literally forgotten 99% of the new films. Outside of them being better films than the prequels, having no planned direction of the franchise, and every film being a reaction to the one before it. Barely thought about the politics outside of the white noise of searing hot takes on the topic of race, sex, and gender.

OwlFancier posted:

When you say three eyes you mean like the actual aliens with three eyes or just a human with an extra eye?

As in a literal human dude with an extra eye.

And here's my favourite EU Star Wars scene entirely out of context:

This was canon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Found this on facebook, might be of some interest.

But what are their views on Star Wars?

That is quite useful. Not really suprising, but useful as a quick breakdown.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: And the existence of CUKTIG (not necessarily the MPs themselves, but the concept of the group). Umunna, and Swindon.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Jess one step closer to her natural destination as a celebrity famous for being famous, with regular appearances on Strictly, Great British Bakeoff and the sofas of breakfast tv programmes.

A sparkly robot enters the stage on The Masked Singer, they take off their head. It's Jess Phillips.
The crowd roars with delight. The presenters roar with delight. But in their eyes it's clear; "Who the gently caress are you?"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Jess Phillips takes off their head. It's Chuka Umunna.

The presenters take off their heads. They're Rory Stewart.

The crowd takes off its head. It's Ian Dunt's How to be a Liberal.

The roaring amplifies. The air tastes like burning salt. There is a noise at the edge of hearing as electrical devices throw off coronal discharge and begin to fail. A dark spot forms in the middle of your vision. Birds die. Jo Swinson takes off her head. It is squirrels.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Well if nothing else they're consistant in immediately pivoting to the next great Beige Centrist Hope, after a dozen puff pieces on how the previous chosen one would be the new BCH and hosed up spectacularly.

https://twitter.com/TheTrashiesUK/status/1219692798137503745

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1219696293963952128

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I only communicate by epic montages of pyres on mountaintops, miss me with that new famgled poo poo.

Lah-dee-dah! Look at you with your fancy "fire technology" instead of relying on the purity of shouting very loudly and hoping the echo travels to the person you want it to reach. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nonsense.

Birds dont have testicles.

They might not have actual external testicles, but geese certainly waddle around with the attitude of having the ginormous feathery plums dangling down.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 23, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Ducks have terrifying hydraulic drill dicks and are terrible.

D-D-Drill dicks, horrifying.
Corkscrew vaginas (I ain't lying)
Necrophile incestuous rapists ~ Ducktales! Woo~hoo!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pistol_Pete posted:

But how big would her feet be

"Gigantic!"

---

Guavanaut posted:

I... uh... okay.

What set of circumstances leads to this scenario?

It looks like something from that Russian dude who got arrested for creating "dolls" from corpses he exhumed. Maybe he's running an etsy from inside prison?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 29, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

And when I complained about all these things, and particularly about the excel element making me look substantially less competent than I was due to not accounting for the fact that excel has half a dozen ways to execute most functions, and only allowing one to be correct (and in one instance, not allowing ANY to be correct, it simply wouldn't accept the input at all), they just sort of... glibly acknowledged that it's poo poo, and it wouldn't actually affect anything.

SO WHY loving DO IT

Aptitude tests in particular are complete woo bullshit, and are largely used to arbitrarily prune large applicant pools to more manageable numbers, and serve essentially the same function as shredding every other application without reading it.

Not quite the same thing, but when I was unemployed the DWP managed to put me on a computer course to get an actual qualification - I've been using computers since I was about 8, but didn't pursue any ICT above any mandatory GCSE level - although I think they cocked up because they enrolled me on a course for people who had literally never touched a computer before in their entire lives.

It was meant to be for two weeks, with a test at the end. I did the assignments in 20 minutes (literally the most basic of basic stuff - open word, change font, save, etc, etc), and not really knowing what to do with me, they told me not to come back until the day of the test.

Come the test, and it's not on the actual programs, it's something like the flash thing you describe. Still get through it, although it refuses to recognise any shortcuts and has super limited functions, but when it came to creating a slide that you could click a pre-programmed item on it to jump to a specific slide, it flags it up as incorrect. Called the examiner over to prove to him the method I was using - the standard method taught at my school - works, and he's all, "...Huh. Never seen that method before. I'll mark it as correct, but, do it the way this ultra specific long-winded way the program recognises as correct".

Fortunately haven't had to deal with any bullshit aptitude tests - did have to do a WPS typing test while applying for an internal job they'd already filled but had to go through the charade of letting people apply - only found that out after. Waste of everyone's time.

Then again, this was the same firm that just after the recession hit told me that they weren't going to renew my contract (because of the recession), although I was a good worker, and they'd love it if I could still come in and volunteer doing the same work for free! :suicide:

[e]:

Also solidarity, thebardyspoon, sorry to hear things are bit down at the moment. :(

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

So if Jose's already done Twister and is currently doing 28 Days Later before moving onto Dante's Peak, what disaster movie is next? The Day After Tomorrow? 2012?

Outbreak.