Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kustomkarkommando posted:

He's still running... And so is his brother who'll win a seat as well... hell they could probably field a third family member and get another seat if they wanted (there's three more nephews and nieces who are all councillors in the same seat)

I was trying to find Michael's new campaign song on Youtube and instead have come across videos of Danny ranting about how drink-driving laws are an attack on rural life & 'Nobody caused a fatality by having three glasses of Guinness drank'

Jesus. Not sure the people of Kerry should be allowed the vote tbqh

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/MHealyRae/status/1218607036063195138?s=20

Imagine doing this to your wean

Sorry, every time there's a Dáil election I remember about MHR & get obsessed again.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently there was an earthquake this morning? I didn't feel anything.

I'd be amazed if a 2.8 magnitude quake would wake you up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

So I get why large scale unions end up not being helpful because of entrenched staff putting their job security ahead of the workers they represent but why the gently caress don't all the people in GMB just leave for somewhere else? Is there a reason they can't?

The general idea that if your work place has a recognised union you're better off joining that union because you have greater collective power. This topic is actually why I was asking in the thread earlier about a couple of sociological books, Political Parties by Robert Michels & Union Democracy by Lipset, Trow & Coleman. The former is about the supposed inevitability of organisation leading to oligarchy, "the iron law of oligarchy" and how it applies to things like unions. The latter is sort of a response and was about the International Typographical Union in America who were (it was written in the 50s) seen as defying the iron law. It seems like something ronya would know about.

Ultimately a lot of it is down to the law. Unions are very much part of the accepted political landscape these days, much as some don't like them, but because of that the leadership is basically part of the establishment, especially the Labour Party establishment. The law is all about crushing the threat of unions and that's one of the reasons I will never forgive Blair, not reversing the appalling anti-union moves Thatcher made. This is why I find value in groups like the IWW who aren't attached to a political party & are very much a radical union willing to take radical action. Illegal strikes & such like, as if the idea of withdrawing your labour should ever be illegal. Solidarity strikes. General strikes.

Unrelated but this is the sort of union action I want to see.

https://twitter.com/wrkclasshistory/status/1220363126031486977?s=20

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 23, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Now that's something to wank to. Karl Marx, not the lovely Leah

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Urgent advice needed, somebody took just short of 20 co-codamol & is begging me not to take her to hospital. Do I force her? She'd go along with it if I tell her she doesn't have a choice, but likely to never trust me again if she needs help another time

e: I've tried persuading her, begging, asking for a favour as a friend, all that poo poo

That's potentially 10000mg of paracetamol (if I remember how much paracetamol is in co-codamol). Which is definitely enough to do serious damage to her liver and so you did the right thing. Going to A&E or where ever is scary as hell but paracetamol toxicity isn't something to experience.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 24, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Baywatch isn't even a British show ffs.

Britain was at its Greatest when Scrapheap and/or Robot Wars were on imo

Britain was it its greatest about 950,000 years ago, before the first early humans lived here and ruined it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sinky posted:

smh if you didn't spend the early 90s sitting in front of an Amiga.

e: The Amiga had at least 117 games.

I spent the very early 90s in front of a Spectrum before moving to a Master System.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1220848733773910016?s=20

Rare bit of actually interesting reporting in The Graun, albeit from the States

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

America killed Bin Laden but a lone British agent blew up the mountain hideout.

Aye but we only did that because of concerns about it was lowering area house prices

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ronya posted:

There doesn't seem to be a good reason for either to rock the boat, a point upon which Starmer has been particularly explicit

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1218513320610758656

Oh gently caress, thats a real tweet. There is far too much about the Blair years to criticise and claiming we shouldn't out of fear of division is just begging to fail to learn from it.

Starmer really coming out all melt to the surprise of no oval office who has paid attention

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

I'm quite confused about Nandy, seems to be either left or right depending on who's talking about her at the time

I wonder who Owen Jones is going to pick, apparently he encouraged Nandy to stand for leader in 2015

Jones thought Nandy was the most left person who could win in 2015, obviously that's not the case today.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

constructive criticism is one thing, but “trashing” is another entirely that clearly says there was nothing good alongside the mistakes

There are plenty of people in the Labour Party who think any criticism of the Blair years counts as trashing it though.

Moderate improvement on a Tory government but broadly a continuation of Thatcherite policy, no reversal of anti-union laws, no reversal of privatisations of key national industries like the railways, not much in the way of large scale public housing investment, increasing income inequality on their watch (as so superbly summarised with Mandelson's "We are intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich" line), the poisonously close relationship with The City. Largely ignoring Labour heartlands to chase votes from Essex Man playing its part in the current mess we're in.

They had a massive majority in 1997 and all they did with it was some small managerial fiddling. Sure, minimum wage was good. Devolution was good. Sure Start. But loving nora, a) they could have done so much & b) the list of terrible policies, the constant attacks on civil liberties, the quintessential neoliberal fiddling with tax credits rather than doing something substantive. The dire policies like ASBOs and being obsessed with looking "tough on crime" to Daily Mail readers rather than actually trying to pursue policies that reduce crime and decrease reoffending and all that. There's not a lot to be proud of without even mentioning the foreign policy disasters.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

maybe if people weren't living until they're 85 this wouldn't be a problem. makes u think

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1220696092532187136?s=20

Weird how the people harping on about how we need eugenics to reduce population numbers are so rarely willing to take the personal step of reducing the population.

Dude's 71. She's 85. Be the change you want to see, don't expect poor people to die for you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/CLPNominations/status/1221408219102359552?s=20

Weird, them people supporting Keir Starmer seem to have really terrible taste?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1221364774421790720?s=20

It's Rach Swindon's tweet, but ignore that, the vid is good.

Yeah, Dawn is looking exceedingly good right now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

And what are you going to do when the government says no?

What are you going to do against the now shittier than ever labour party that you told everyone to abandon, promising actual deliverable reforms which don't amount to enough but which act as a direct opposition to your more radical suggestions? Or the tories who have full control of the press and the cops and everything else which would be extremely effective at suppressing leftist organization, as they have been throughout the history of the UK? What do you plan to do about the international response even if you did manage to take over the country with a coup?

Again what is the process you believe creates a plurality of people in the UK who are willing to literally overthrow the government in a very short timeframe? Because I do not believe there is one. I do not believe you can will a revolution into being.

Don't think an open forum is really the best spot to discuss strategies for overthrowing the government.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There was definitely a time in my life I would have cared this much about the silly space fantasy films but I'm very glad it is behind me now.

So I can focus my attention to more important things.

Like wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

John Cena hits a man with a folding chair and it makes the crowbar noise from half life .flv

See? It's art.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

Waiting for the inevitable bounty / jaffa cake crossover.

Pickled Onion Monster Munch crossed with Terry's Chocolate Orange.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Someone convince Claire Saffitz to make gourmet Monster Munch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1222160795611619328?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1222233026140176385?s=20

Jewdas continue to be excellent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1222834752484519936?s=20

Now that's a Spiked Online headline.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Coronavirus people are in Newcastle lol

Can't wait for "Jose liveposting through a quarantine".

Then after that you can get on with making the disasters you've missed happen. "Jose liveposting through a volcanic eruption"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

There was the guy that liked drawing trees at least.

Tag u r self, I'm the Despair and Insanity leaves

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On the same principal (don't just listen to the first few seconds of the Ice-T monologue at the start, he moves into the class war 'no lives matter')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlk7o5T56iw

No Live Matters is such a jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There were no fireworks in my village, so that's something positive going for it at least.