Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Happy new year. I'm in work. I want this nightmare to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1213895734619201543?s=19

The melty fucks will continue to talk poo poo about corbyn through the inevitable war. I hate our media class so loving much.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

August 2021 - as the Iran invasion death toll reaches 20'000 British soldiers, HIGNFY marks the occasion with mad Corbyn russian dancers.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I've really enjoyed the press saying loving nothing about the PM's utter absence. Cool and normal media class we have

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/1214294989972398081

:decorum:

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/deportablediz/status/1214707714875691008

guys you won the election

guys you can stop now

guys

GUYS

I want to scream at how nakedly, purposely poo poo our media is. They're covering the Labour leadership election with far more vigour and enthusiasm than they are the absence of the prime minister during escalating military conflict involving close allies.

I hope every media commentator has a loving stroke.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

we're so far past anyone giving a gently caress about anything, I think the queen could annex parliament and declare herself absolute monarch and nobody would really care.

literally i think about 1'000 people could just undo our social structure.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Whoever wins will end up tagged with some spurious bullshit that sounds bad to the average Sun and Mail reader, even if they're the most bootlicking centrist imaginable.

*Ed Miliband voice* I have no idea what you could mean.

*eats sandwich*
*be's Jewish*

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

I think it's like the Dracos, in that both James and Lily are from old wizarding families and just have a shitload of wealth lying around where the actual source of that wealth is lost to history.

This makes sense in the context of Harry Potter being a boarding school novel like Enid Blyton, where everyone is just kind of rich by default.

The issue is that this is retreading themes from the 19th and early 20th century where aristocrats were outraged about plebs the middle classes usurping their safe spaces: the aristocratic class had lost power much earlier but retained its cultural hegemony until at least the interwar period.

Potter kind of just mashes up this feudal-aristocratic stuff with fascism though, when actual aristocrats were more ambivalent and at best saw fascism as a gauche necessity. You could probably read it on the context of the Royal scandals of the 90s if you wanted to go full Literature Professor on it though.

:wrong: Lily potter was from a muggle fam, hence her sister petunia (now a Dursley) was not magical and hated all that poo poo.

Really the simple answer would be "they had magic life insurance" or "everyone was sad when they died/you killed voldomort so everyone kinda felt they owed you, so we all chucked a few quid in a pot". At the start of the series it doesn't really matter it's all just part of the excitement of him being a wizard (and a rich one too!)

This has the same fundamental problem that plagues most of HP - it starts off as a fairly good children's book for children. He's an orphan who gets whisked off to this magical world beyond imagining. It's exciting because it could happen to you too!

Then Rowling tried to explain everything, and ruined it. Hence we got goblin jews bankers, house elf chattel slaves, the weird thing where the Dursleys taking him in and was actually love which protected Harry from Voldemort.

Copying the best thing to have been on a 4chan

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I don't think space trips will be popular outside of a very wealthy "status" group.

They'll be too expensive for 99% to afford off the bat. Even of that 1%, only a very small percentage will be medically fit to be allowed. All the elder vampires who run this country

Everyone is so loving tired that annual leave is a chance to just rest.
There's far more tangible/relatable poo poo on earth to see before we go off planet. Fine for the leisure class who've "done" every major country and continent, not fine for some of us who still want to go to so many places on earth.

And y'know what? It probably is a bit boring. Being in low/zero G will be a novelty but beyond that it'll be a lot of hanging around. Exploring the moon a little will be fun but again, limited number of things to see and do there.

Lets just catapult anyone rich enough to do the moon trip into the sun instead.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I wonder if the BoD are going to get sad now that they're about to get ignored as irrelevant. Joris has his majority, so they can go back in the box next to the DUP and other intermittently useful idiots.

Fucks me off how much that stuck around. Even if I'm not convinced that many people believed it, it cost a lot of energy to deal with and constantly came up and derailed meaningful discussion. Corbyn's weakness was that he wasn't aggressive enough where it mattered.

I've actually been thinking that once we've got a new leader, it'll be interesting how they choose to interact with the media. It's really tempting to just snub them. Don't outright block them from attending labour events, but save all the questions for local reporters. Leave them hanging around desparate for a comment.

We have a tory majority so just enforce absolute party discipline. Nobody gives interviews to the BBC without central approval or they get the boot. Stone wall the bastards.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely do not cease to be amazed how many loving journo melts can not recognize that particular piss take.

He's sat so perfectly on the cusp of believability, and they're all thick as poo poo. I think they're slowly cottoning on purely through word of mouth rather than learning.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Why the gently caress aren't workers in the UK like this? This owns.

Brits r spineless cowards.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Johns Hopkins has actually made a live map of reported cases, so you can pretend you're playing pandemic. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
It's pretty cool.

The virus is bad. The group managing it wrote a paper in the Lancet a few days ago. Something like 1/3 of the patients described went to ITU and 1/7 died.

winegums fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/sarah_ox_laugh/status/1221508847359156225

This whole thread is just :chefskiss: