Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wait until you are 40 and you suddenly scare yourself when you realize you aren't thinking of sex every 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

Mark Steel

https://marksteelinfo.com/recordings/

Hes giving away some of his old programs here.
I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND as in LISTEN NOW to his Mark Steel Lectures.
It has old political jokes sure but the content is loving amazing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

mehall posted:

Lol, as if they won't draft tubbos anyway.

I already tweeted about this -

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1213041045019275264?s=19

No answer from the first minister, shameful.

Bit of a GOTCHA question no matter how you answer.

"Yes" and you are worst in the world for not stopping it.
"No" and you are worst in the world for not helping the victims or allies.
"Maybe" and you are worst in the world for not being decisive enough.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

In other news, HIGNFY is hot garbage and I'm embarrassed that I ever used to laugh at their sneering bullshit

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1212686086767620096?s=19

Am I reading this wrong, or is that a 'you reap what you sow by voting Tory' joke which is actually good imo.
It's pointing out how the Tories will not help much, not disparaging food banks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We have the same, which means there's a certain way along our local rat bastard street where the radius cuts out and there's always a pileup of trolleys across the pavements.

Our place used to have flooding until they dredged the local river. 27 tons they took out, a poo poo load of shopping trolleys.
All from the rat bastard street that even the taxis wont go into.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Shocking thought: What if Trump forces the UK into helping with invading Iran as part of the Brexit trade deal?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Hey UK Hello! Trump here. Love you guys, and I know you guys love me.
Just talked with your Prime Minister Boris here, great man, wonderful and strong.
And we have agreed a HUGE trade deal.
Massive. A great deal.
We, the US, will send you lot our Pink Slime cheap. So cheap.
And in return, Boris. Great man. Has agreed to send your soldiers to Iran to become Pink Slime.
Thank you.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Wtf does 'crank' even mean

Never hear of the word before? Strange.
Its as in 'nutter'. A crank caller is a long ago created term for someone who calls into a radio show to troll or spout bizzare stuff.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Venomous posted:

I thought it meant someone who called people on the telephone as a joke to gently caress with them

Yeah it is too. Prank caller evolved into crank caller according to a google search. Maybe the crank version is a TV/Radio term.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

For the past few days (possibly longer but i haven't been sleeping so I've only noticed now), birds outside my window have been continuously twittering throughout the night. Is this... normal? I thought they only started up at dawn

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/streetlighting.aspx

Birds are hosed up now due to our street lighting.
Some still think its day time so sing all night until they get tired.
Some still hunt for food.
Some have adapted. I think its the smaller ones that affected, crows and seagulls aren't.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

The new episode of Who was also pretty mediocre. I actually liked it until the SHOCKING TWIST at the end which was completely un-foreshadowed as far as I could tell.

It's a small kids fever dream adventure now.
It's the small things that loving annoy me in Doctor Who these days. It's as if they don't give a poo poo about obvious things that people would react to.
Oh look the Tardis has landed 5 foot from the front gates of a mansion they have to sneak into. Everyone in the mansion would hear it teleporting in, or maybe see the loving thing.
And the security paranoid billionaire just doesn't give a poo poo what happens outside his own walls it seems.
Next thing they are all motorbike racing experts. After being able to dodge lasers from 1 foot, and sneak into high security buildings straight to the bad guys inner sanctum.
A kid, a trainee cop, and an old man are better spies than the actual real spies.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

also that the Doctor can't just become a woman?

Even worse!
She has a northern accent!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

Can a fatwa have a bounty attached to it?

Yeah, fatwas are just a religious proclamation of a new 'rule'.
Rushdie had a bounty of 2-3 million on his.
There was a fatwa that 'Who wants to be a millionaire' was un-islamic.
But killing a heretic to become one is fine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I can understand the Queen though.
I would be furious if the only people left to talk to now was Phillip and Andrew.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Hasn't Harry killed people while he was in Afghanistan?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

Thought I'd share this brain numbing poo poo:

All can be condensed down to 'pay more taxes'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The great thing about these billionaire fortresses is that they've very obviously not thought it through even a tiny amount - all of the servants, maintenance people, and most of all armed guards they'll need to keep it running will have families who will presumably be left outside the walls. What's the likely lifespan of Jeff Bezos when he tells his private security that it's time for them to leave their parents, spouses and children to die in the apocalypse and come make sure he can keep pumping HGH into his cock in New Zealand?

There will be a few sycophants willing to do so.
Remember there was a guy who started the Elon Must Bitcoin, and wanted to gift half of the existing coins to Elon just to get close to him.

Most people though, as soon as Bezos turned around, would shoot him in the base of the neck and take over.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
*Peter Kay voice*
Bovril.
Fudge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jose posted:

joss whedon has made exactly 1 thing that wasn't awful and i don't really feel like ever watching buffy again in case it turns out that was also awful

I detest Buffy.
I once saw an episode where the world was going to end, hell going to take over, cats and dogs, etc, and one of the main stars was complaining they couldn't get a date for some event like a prom.
And I think this was just after someone unimportant died in front of them.
And noped the gently caress out of seeing it ever again.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Kathleen Richardson's blog?

I always associate the "free from all artificial additives" poo poo with the early 90s when everyone was going on about that Europe and their E-numbers and it should be banned, but things like this remind me of the 80s when parents would blame the tarter zines for making their kids hyperactive rather than the kids being under-stimulated or possibly having ADHD.

This was also due to the US vs EU, the EU trying to ban cancer causing ingredients that the US happily doesn't care about (and still uses).
I can see this coming back into the media in the near future, when someone points out the new trade deal foods are full of early death.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

I also thought it was silly but I wonder if it's a cultural thing given that in this country for the same age range you have like... Grange Hill :/

You could be onto something here.
Grange Hill, Byker Grove, out the same time as such poo poo as Saved By The Bell.
Gritty real life events like poverty and disabilities (oh noes PJ is now blind!), versus getting addicted to loving caffeine pills.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Do you think the Royals keep tabs on these people just in case they need an immediate restraining order?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

My-oh-my, what an important piece of news for the BBC to reprint from the actual loving Daily Mail:

What a scrounger. Even spending money on staff events! Everyone knows that you make them pay it out of their own pocket.

We better spend a couple dozen more million on the royals.

You can see them try to sex it up too. HE SPENT 7K ON A HOLIDAY (to three different places and probably was with another person or two as his entourage)
And this was their big hitter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Who is this person, don't watch much TV, and why did she cry?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 14, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Borrovan posted:

Didn't Boris Johnson himself literally call a half-million quid salary for a part time job a "pittance", or "pocket money" or something? Or was it Gideon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jul/13/boris-johnson-second-salary-chickenfeed

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

And that fucker got a knight hood.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/dwmoook/status/1218065788143316992

Izzat... Nobby, Carrot and Vimes?

I can't place any of the others but I'm kind of impressed I can recognise those three through the cyberpunk haze.

The first one is meant to be Cybil.

I hate adaptations of Terry Pratchett works, even the first ones. Only half passable one is Going Postal.
Ruins the images of what I have of the characters in my head.

mehall posted:

I believe they've already said that the world in The Watch is "inspired by" Pratchetts works.

As in 'now hes dead and we own the rights we get all the money! Fart out something quick while there are still some fans about!'.
Like what they did to Douglas Adams.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 17, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer drat that Narrativia, holder of all rights to his works, and the bastard board of Directors comprising his long time personal assistant and friend, and daughter?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2020/jan/17/discworld-fans-are-right-to-be-nervous-about-the-bbcs-punk-rock-the-watch

quote:

Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, and his long-term friend and assistant Rob Wilkins, who still runs Pratchett’s Twitter account, did not comment directly (they’re not involved in the adaptation).

https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1172096652603248641

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Red Oktober posted:

Jess Phillips frantically googling “most working class drug” so she can pick that.

"I am " *reads notes* " jonesing for a " *reads notes* "pint of bitter."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
My local Centra had a junkie OD and die in their public free for all toilet. Thankfully didn't see this.
My local chinese had a free for all toilet until two teenage girls went into it at the same time and came out giggling.
They had both poo poo everywhere EXCEPT into the toilet. Unfortunately I was there at the time and saw and smelt it.

They should put up those open toilets you see in Amsterdam.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

In latest "the 🥑 millennials 🥑 are ruining everything traditional :qq:" news, the full english is apparently under attack.

e: People born in 1993 reject the black pudding and smash avocados on everything, which is why they can't afford houses.

Millennial articles are the new 'X prevents cancer' articles.
In the 2000s every few weeks you would see 'X PREVENTS CANCER HOLY gently caress' articles in all the tabloids. Still do occasionally now.
From beer to chocolate, it all helped stop cancer.
Turns out the 'research' is always funded by the makers of said product. I remember Cadbury were caught doing this.

From your article, the research group is called Ginger Research.
Who is a client on their website: https://www.gingercomms.com/comrades-2/

HEINZ.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Who funded all the X CAUSES CANCER articles?

PR firms for corps at the time. Just like this Ginger PR firm.
It was easy tabloid fodder, it easily filled up a column and would make people read them out of fear.
It was an ad pretending to be news.

I remember reading how they were caught out, can't remember where.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Not So Fast posted:

So apparently the much vaunted screening process for Wuhan Coronovirus is just handing someone a leaflet and sending them on their way.... thank you Matt Hancock

When we had that Foot and Mouth scare back in the 2000s, all they did was force us to walk on some disinfectant mats at the irish border.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Puntification posted:

Take that back about him being a trot; Santa's never tried to sell me a paper.

Yeah, but where does he get the coal from to give to bad kids?
Slave labour in the toy factory, and in the mines too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Not wanting to make NI great again too?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Watch talk.
My brother was on holiday in Spain in the late 90s, and he came across this fake brand seller selling stuff from a mobile stall.
Knowing the stuff was fake, he bought some sunglasses and a Tag Heuer watch for like 20 euros.
To show off when back home.
Took it back, turns out the stuff he bought was the real thing. Not sure about the sunglasses, but the watch was.
Is still worth a few hundred now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

enjoy being on a terrorist watchlist

To be honest, just posting in this thread gets you on at least three.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone know whayt Alastair Stewart said on Twitter to make him quit ITN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

With the backstop dead and the 31st of January almost here, what's the situation on the Irish border?

Edit: 138 is the number of ideas Johnson doesn't have to fix this.

Boris will continue to say 'the border is fine, no one will have to do any checks or any extra paperwork' upto the last second.
Then he will get Raab to tell NI and Ireland that there will be checks and paperwork.
THATS OUR BORIS!