Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Or dont because shutting down the forums will just piss people off more and get a bunch of subforums which are ignoring the drama no wanting to talk about it. A trans thread poster should be made mod of FYAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Maybe if I exert control over the forums, it's sort of like having control over my life!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

A trans thread poster should be made mod of FYAD.

Oh please do this.

This would be true irony.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Pick posted:

"Maybe if I exert control over the forums, it's sort of like having control over my life!"

You're not helping, even a little

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CharlestheHammer posted:

maybe just empowering someone from the trans thread to that weird super mod thing would do a lot here. Give them the power to be proactive

this is a good idea imo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pick posted:

I'm saying no one will ultimately ever meet this standard because there's a desire to tear down anyone who ends up in a power position on this site.

i think it's more, that there's no trust in all in the staff: youre on the right side, or are basically an enemy that needs to be destroyed before you destroy them first. there's no room for even doubt.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Pick posted:

you have been completely right in this thread about everything but it doesn’t matter.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

Or dont because shutting down the forums will just piss people off more and get a bunch of subforums which are ignoring the drama no wanting to talk about it. A trans thread poster should be made mod of FYAD.

Somehow I think that'll end in a lot of pettiness on both sides and will only serve as fuel on this shitshow.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

maybe just empowering someone from the trans thread to that weird super mod thing would do a lot here. Give them the power to be proactive

I encourage this, the more the merrier mainly because it would make the kiwifarms offsite weirdos absolutely furious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think it's more, that there's no trust in all in the staff: youre on the right side, or are basically an enemy that needs to be destroyed before you destroy them first. there's no room for even doubt.

Okay, well maybe people with this mentality will also not make good staff members.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

You are making the best arguments for why power should be communal and not individual.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm not advocating a permanent shutdown. I'm saying that, like, the entire forums gets a sixer while Lowtax et al hash poo poo out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Boba Pearl posted:

A trans thread poster should be made mod of FYAD.

this is a better and funnier idea and you should do this 'tax

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

FAU, who I liked very much, did this and he still had a breakdown.

Yes, because it's a lovely position to be in.

But nothing can get fixed without appointing new admins because there are right now like literally 3 people on this website who can approve punishments longer than... I think Jeffrey bumped it up to a day probation now? It was sixers.

And if the current state of the world has taught us nothing else, it's not going to be helped by just throwing anyone out there regardless of their stance here.

So we can't do nothing, and we can't appoint someone who isn't vetted by the vulnerable people involved, soooooo the path forward seems pretty likely. It won't solve the problems entirely because there are no magic wands but we need admins to do even the most basic of moderation tasks, and right now there are not enough admins.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Scoops My Goops posted:

You're not helping, even a little

The idea that anyone who is openly hostile to the existence of a subforum should be the mod of said subforum is laughable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know FYAD is a large part of the site's history and personally close to Lowtax, I think it's important that once he created this site, it's no longer in your control and becomes that of the community. I'm not sure if FYAD has been relevant / funny for years. I feel like right now the community is clamoring for FYAD's closure. And to be honest, given how big the trans community is here, if FYAD is gonna be a lovely bigoted area, I'd rather see it closed.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I thought R Guyo was a dumbass before he was an admin, thank you. :colbert:

he was but i thought he did a decent job

who knew a tankie would make an okay forums cop

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Spinning Robo posted:

The idea that anyone who is openly hostile to the existence of a subforum should be the mod of said subforum is laughable.

And is this not a comedy forum? :colbert:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Spinning Robo posted:

Trans poster as mod for FYAD, FYAD poster as mod for TGRS.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No one cis is going to pay enough attention to all the different culture and dog whistles, let those who are directly affected by these issues be able to police those who are treating them specifically like poo poo.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Trans poster as mod for FYAD, FYAD poster as mod for TGRS.

I will allow tit for tat

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

cool dance moves posted:

You still dont deny that you said that stuff. I think that's the nub of why people are pissed at you about that stuff specifically. It doesnt matter that it was only a small fraction of what you said, and that some ne'er-do-wells cherrypicked it to make you look bad. The fact that you said that stuff--that you felt ok saying that stuff--is the problem. Despite your claims to being an ally, you were ok with making jokes about a marginalized community, just last night. And posters itt and elsewhere have told you that those kinds of jokes are considered offensive. Are you an ally who listens to marginalized voices, or do you think everyone should loosen up and not get their feelings hurt? You cant have it both ways. You hosed yourself the moment those words came out of your mouth.

It's this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spinning Robo posted:

I mean that has been the state of CSPAM for its entire existence

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Minrad posted:

it happened to FAU, it happened to r guyovich, and I guess you could say it happened to smythe. it's happening in this thread. the fact that it keeps happening when there's nobody left to pick up the pieces means it's just going to make things worse and maybe lead to the site shutting down, not helping anyone.

this is the most prescient post in the thread so far.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that has been the state of CSPAM for its entire existence

And it worked so well!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

seiferguy posted:

I know FYAD is a large part of the site's history and personally close to Lowtax, I think it's important that once he created this site, it's no longer in your control and becomes that of the community. I'm not sure if FYAD has been relevant / funny for years. I feel like right now the community is clamoring for FYAD's closure. And to be honest, given how big the trans community is here, if FYAD is gonna be a lovely bigoted area, I'd rather see it closed.

Please let's not use this thread to relitigate the existence of FYAD. I'm not saying keep FYAD or don't keep FYAD but this is not that thread.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Spinning Robo posted:

Cool non-sequitur

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spinning Robo posted:

And it worked so well!

I mean I think the bigger issue was CSPAM had no mods that liked the forum for balance

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The trans thread poster mod of FYAD idea is funny except I'm not sure who would ever volunteer.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

FAU, who I liked very much, did this and he still had a breakdown.

FAU said he would support marginalized posters, and then routinely ignored them when they actually tried to bring up issues they were facing (see: all the Bobbie Wickham stuff).

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
make cspam its own forum and also make it QCS because i think the IKs are doing an excellent job of filtering out the people acting in bad faith. although i still think they're pussies for not sixering entire pages of people, which is often the only correct approach to every problem. my philosophy as an IK was that if i was forced to care about or pay attention to anything i would make sure everyone suffered.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

PetraCore posted:

The trans thread poster mod of FYAD idea is funny except I'm not sure who would ever volunteer.

I'm sure someone would

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PetraCore posted:

It would literally be cruel and abusive to do this, as well. It's a funny idea, but none of us want to even approach the cesspool

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

The amount of abuse and vitriol they would get wouldn't be worth it.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
cspamers joke about killing thousands every day, and are corny writers

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

PetraCore posted:

becoming a FYAD mod should be an automated $69 upgrade anyone can get

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Agreed, it's time that the trans posters have an official voice in probating people for 6 hours at a time.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

yeah like just delegate to people the forum has some trust in, you have your own poo poo that is keeping you busy we understand that. but right now the task is going to need a lot of effort to fix and having someone more plugged in would help

The problem with this is the person a forum wants in charge of it also tends to be a person who is friends with the popular kids and ends up shutting down outside ideas/lets their friends get away with stuff. Ideally you get neutral parties but maybe they just don’t exist, idk :shobon:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, I have turned over the reigns and decisions to the people in the mods and admins thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tashilicious posted:

It would literally be cruel and abusive to do this, as well. It's a funny idea, but none of us want to even approach the cesspool
Yeah basically. Modding is not a walk in the park, and modding a forum where you know a large chunk of the posters actively despise your existence sounds as fun as crawling through broken glass.

The funny part of it is the idea of giving said person a bangun aimed at FYAD.