Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
Close CSPAM and bring back LF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

just upgrade every current mod to admin, and then go to every subforum and give the five people with the most posts in each one modship of that subforum.

the forums are basically australia so you just need an absolutely unreasonable amount of firefighters. Im sure at least one of them would know whats going on.

god no, the most post? lmfao that'd be a disaster

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

I will say that I disagree with banning Lastgirl just now for a post she made weeks ago that was clearly (well, to me at least) a joke!

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

smarxist posted:

Lowtax I've honestly been in orbit of your site and its community for about 16 years now, I *just* had goons save my loving life with donations for a new apartment lease, and user plinkey feeds dozens of them a month, and this is such a disgrace. If you wanna learn why people will tell you but you're gonna have to pay attention and do some mea culpa.

It'd probably start with rolling back all the bullshit bans just now and apologizing, and then taking the heartfelt sincere suggestions from the grievances thread and implementing the ones you can.

You. have. to. start. listening. to people. who. have. your. best. interest. in. mind.

and it's NOT everyone cheering you taking a giant poo poo on yourself tonight, i PROMISE you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vnPYaSm0A

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

why is it always the end of the world with goons

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
SA is simultaneously a horrid place that literal nazis organize hate crimes on and also the only place on the entire internet that remains a safe space for marginalized people

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise
Lemme tell you, lowtax just HATES all the money that comes in from avatars and name changes people buy over political slapfights, he can't wait to shut it all down, because a couple posters called him a transphobe.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Lowtax posted:

I didn't even close QCS. Honestly I never liked QCS, but I was not the person who closed it. I will talk to the admin and mod team.

tbh it doesn't even need to be qcs. just somewhere where it can be sorted out without people dragging every thread and forum into it

i like to hope we can get past this and let the haha funny continue on :)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
:redhammer:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Spinning Robo posted:

SA is simultaneously a horrid place that literal nazis organize hate crimes on and also the only place on the entire internet that remains a safe space for marginalized people

sa is a land of contrast

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
QCS is going to be flooded with threads as soon as it opens, so maybe have mods make specific threads for each issue to keep things focused?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Whitenoise Poster posted:

just upgrade every current mod to admin, and then go to every subforum and give the five people with the most posts in each one modship of that subforum.

the forums are basically australia so you just need an absolutely unreasonable amount of firefighters. Im sure at least one of them would know whats going on.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Lowtax posted:

I don't know man, I wasn't keeping up with the forums until Jeffrey of YOSPOS said there was an issue with FYAD and the trans posters, so I came in and tried to read everything and catch up, but people were getting mad at me because I wasn't doing anything. I was doing something, and it was trying to figure out this whole mess and unravel it. Obviously that did not work, and I was getting completely mixed messages from various people. I came in to be the fall guy so everybody could direct their hate at me instead of the entire admin staff, since I'm honestly used to being hated. But it's not like I tried to post or say or do anything out of malice for anybody. There's like so much going on and so many people that I have to do something *now* that I'm kinda in a tight spot.

I've never had a problem with you and think your heart is usually in the right place even though people get all mad sometimes. I can't imagine the amount of crazy loving people you've dealt with.

What I can say is that a lot of those posters (at least as much as I am familiar with them) aren't out to get you... probably.

But also I don't think a regular ban is, like, that big of a deal so... I don't know. It's your site.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Ohtsam posted:

Go to sleep and stop drunk posting and try to pick up the pieces tomorrow.
I haven't drank alcohol in half a year. I'd appreciate not trying to set that as a narrative.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

I don't know man, I wasn't keeping up with the forums until Jeffrey of YOSPOS said there was an issue with FYAD and the trans posters, so I came in and tried to read everything and catch up, but people were getting mad at me because I wasn't doing anything. I was doing something, and it was trying to figure out this whole mess and unravel it. Obviously that did not work, and I was getting completely mixed messages from various people. I came in to be the fall guy so everybody could direct their hate at me instead of the entire admin staff, since I'm honestly used to being hated. But it's not like I tried to post or say or do anything out of malice for anybody. There's like so much going on and so many people that I have to do something *now* that I'm kinda in a tight spot.

Several of these posters banned were very good and contributed a lot to the forums in terms of culture and content-- Snoo especially is a very central figure to all of C-SPAM. This can all be smoothed over tomorrow. Please take another look at this situation tomorrow.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
sa moves further left every year. but not fast enough for some people. it always strange when people complain when largely, the forum has become far more tolerant that it was in the past.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

OTOH I've personally routinely mocked several of the posters that got banned and won't miss them... other than maybe the Lastgirl one because that was a joke. I'm pretty sure she wasn't serious about hoarding thermite. She'll come back anyway though. :shrug:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Turdfuzz posted:

OTOH I've personally routinely mocked several of the posters that got banned and won't miss them... other than maybe the Lastgirl one because that was a joke. I'm pretty sure she wasn't serious about hoarding thermite. She'll come back anyway though. :shrug:
That is the kind of poo poo that literally gets the Secret Service called to visit me.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

temple posted:

sa moves further left every year. but not fast enough for some people. it always strange when people complain when largely, the forum has become far more tolerant that it was in the past.

It doesn't move to the left automatically, people pull the overton window to the left. A lot of the people complaining are the people driving leftward progress.

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

the dialogue doesn’t even have to be now just make sure it’s a concrete time and don’t bailout if it gets hard

This is hilarious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

That is the kind of poo poo that literally gets the Secret Service called to visit me.

Did you ever think they're just lonely?? Maybe if you invited them over for beer and pizza now and then they wouldn't need to come up with bullshit excuses about terroristic threats just to drop in and chat with their good buddy Low Tax

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016

smarxist posted:

Lowtax I've honestly been in orbit of your site and its community for about 16 years now, I *just* had goons save my loving life with donations for a new apartment lease, and user plinkey feeds dozens of them a month, and this is such a disgrace. If you wanna learn why people will tell you but you're gonna have to pay attention and do some mea culpa.

It'd probably start with rolling back all the bullshit bans just now and apologizing, and then taking the heartfelt sincere suggestions from the grievances thread and implementing the ones you can.

You. have. to. start. listening. to people. who. have. your. best. interest. in. mind.

and it's NOT everyone cheering you taking a giant poo poo on yourself tonight, i PROMISE you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pizza combos posted:

This is hilarious.

yeah it seems like common sense but like here we are

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Anyway my point is that I was kinda thrown into a position where I had to immediately do something, and I had no idea about backstories or inter-forum issues or moderation problems or the trans thread or the big-rear end thread in here. I tried to do my best with the limited (and skewed) information I was given, but I was in an extremely volatile situation and didn't know like 99% of what was going on; I just had to address everything as fast as possible, and I did it as best I could with what I was told and read.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

if only party plane jones had explained his moderation decisions...

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Lowtax posted:

That's just... not how I read it at all I guess? I thought it was a joke. Like she was being really hyperbolic in response to a guy talking about chemistry. It fell flat for sure though. She didn't actually tell anybody to do anything with thermite or some garbage like that in which case I'd be on your side 100% even though I like her as a poster.

But yeah, like you said, you've literally had Secret Service visit you so... gently caress, that has to make you wary of poo poo. Understandably so.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Lowtax posted:

Anyway my point is that I was kinda thrown into a position where I had to immediately do something, and I had no idea about backstories or inter-forum issues or moderation problems or the trans thread or the big-rear end thread in here. I tried to do my best with the limited (and skewed) information I was given, but I was in an extremely volatile situation and didn't know like 99% of what was going on; I just had to address everything as fast as possible, and I did it as best I could with what I was told and read.

Not listening to Nazis from FYAD will help prevent future intake of skewed information. Hope that helps.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you shoulda just done nothing until you knew what was going on imo

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since when was being trans a get out of bad posting tax free card?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Since when was being trans a get out of bad posting tax free card?

since when has sass been a ban.

lot of new ground being tred tonight

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

Reik posted:

Not listening to Nazis from FYAD will help prevent future intake of skewed information. Hope that helps.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

Maybe now would be a good time to take a step back , catch up on what you missed and ask questions of the affected users before you keep going. Rushing things, especially at the insistence of others, is always going to result in mistakes. That doesn’t make you a bad person, that’s just how it happens.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

smarxist posted:

As I said, I was thrown into a situation and asked to deal with it because none of the admins wanted to touch it. I was not told and didn't know barely anything that was going on, and attempted to put out a fire as soon as I could, because people were mad that nothing had been addressed. If I knew or had any information about all of this earlier, I would've gotten more involved. However, I was not told the whole story (which I'm still trying to figure out), and as a result of my involvement, I have become the villain here. Listen, it's not in my best interests to alienate and drive off users. I have always been proud of the community here. But when I have to suddenly be involved in an explosively dramatic situation that needs to be addressed ASAP, and I don't know all the history and backstory, it is very difficult for me to present any solution due to not knowing exactly what the problem is.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Reik posted:

Ah, so FYAD are now transphobes, have alts on KF, and are Nazis? Wow, where do they find the time?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax posted:

the biggest issue is follow through. we've had smythe closing QCS threads and saying "this is being looked at!" for months, this has been brewing as an issue for most of the end of 2019. the ban spree tonight was... christ was really the worst possible thing to do lmao

i know the more extreme things people yell are gross and unfair, i know you're not a NAZI as you understand a nazi to be, but also, if you were plugged into the community and the culture, you'd know that "nazi" in TYOOL 2020 is shorthand for basically any type of bigoted behavior or defense thereof, nobody is saying your perpetrated the holocaust, but they ARE saying that your inaction and the staffs bungling of a really lovely situation, and allowing the nihilist malcontents from FYAD and real legit gross places of hate recruitment run roughshod over the QCS threads and now this stream nonsense also put a bunch of THEM in tough positions.

these forums are a safe place and digital home for a ton of talented creative people, all anyone with a sane rational mind wants is a no tolerance policy towards bigotry/transphobia/slurs/doxxing and other poo poo.

when that was being pushed hard, we got endless "whataboutism" from people using page one of Internet Hate Tactics To Destroy Communities For Dummies, you have to understand that there are seriously loving warped people trying to sabotage the efforts here and it DOES matter, this IS real life, and there are CONSEQUENCES beyond posts on the internet, real ones, people use this space to organize material aide, relief, support groups, and all sorts of other poo poo and nobody wants to walk away from that.

so please talk to Zyla by PM and your staff and figure this out, because a big splinter movement/exodus would probably really accelerate this places decline and i don't think anyone really wants that, EXCEPT the people who know that this site is used for all of the things I mentioned above to help marginalized people, and THOSE people are the "nazis"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lowtax posted:

I mean this gently, and maybe I'm too much of a corporate doofus, but . . . in my experience, when I've felt the need to correct a situation immediately, I've found that's when I most need to take a step back, schedule some meetings with people who can explain it to me, then lay out a policy going forward and adhere to it. And also maybe retroactively punish some people but also maybe not; it depends!

Anyway maybe that's not useful and you already know all that. Also, sorry for seriousposting in CSPAM :negative:

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CharlestheHammer posted:

since when has sass been a ban.

lot of new ground being tred tonight

Always? Sass has been bannable for 20 years, it depends on the mood of whoever sees it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Reik posted:

I did not listen to any Nazis or anybody from FYAD. I do not know why you drew that conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Ah, so FYAD are now transphobes, have alts on KF, and are Nazis? Wow, where do they find the time?

this doesn’t work as none of those conflict. You could do all three in like two posts