Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hi everyone! Happy New Year! I regularly post scans from the fantastic (imho) Corto Maltese, an adventure comic by one Hugo Pratt, detailing the semi-mystical adventures of the eponymous rogue from 1914 to the mid-to-late 20s. While one could argue that the stories can be exercises in exoticism, I find that there is a hell of a lot of great stories, drawing and characterisation of people from all round the world, and it is well worth your time to give this a shot.

Of course, it is undeniable that my scans are of poor quality. I try to get them to a reasonable quality, but if they are still not up to scratch, and you want to read up on them, then I suggest you do as the very nice and undoubtedly sexy, intelligent and attractive DC Money has done and support the Pratt estate by getting copies of the books yourself, or even ordering them in for your local library; it'd really make a difference.

With that pre-amble out of the way... in today's Corto Maltese! We left our hero in the midst of a skirmish between the home village of his 'friend' Cush with a neighboring people who accuse Cush of kidnapping their head's daughter. What happens next? Rocks fall, everyone nobody dies, or Shamael saves Corto's skin for a sinister purpose, or Shamael is pretty goddamn ancient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: 'I'm no hero. Never was, never will be' - Solid Corto, or Well, that was fortuitous, or Gordon Ramsay thinks Corto is a bit extreme with his food critique

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Too soon, Horace.

Too soon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: You know, Corto, there was a good chance that both sides would think that the other had fired upon them when you tried to get their attention..., or Ras Yaqob cares little for exposition, or A little less Shakespearean in it's ending, much more Greek antiquity, imho

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I remember when fat fucks suffered coronaries and everyone was happy about that.

In today's Corto Maltese: Here comes the bride..., or Shamael shames Cush for his un-Islamic actions. Which is pretty goddamn rich, coming from him, or Corto gets a bit unnerved

And so ends our tale! Join us next time, won't you? For the last adventure Corto has in Africa, in...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Germany's campaign in WW1 is a fascinating tale of strategy and intrigue, with General Vorbeck being arguably one of the most successful on-field commanders in the entire affair, even though he knew he would always be fighting a losing battle. If you get a chance to read up about it, you should - it's one of the lesser known conflicts, up there with the Russian Civil war of the '20s or the Korean War in the 50's, or Corto is feeling his own mortality, or It's a shame Pratt didn't detail these masks as beautifully as in his earlier works.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto rolls a critical fail on his bartering check, or I suppose the turban would actually help muffle the sound of the blow..., or Hello there

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: FAPPO!, or 'I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it f-, oh wait. You're dead.', or Corto stumbles onto the scene of a hostile business takeover

Samovar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 7, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jiru posted:

You got a broken tag in the third image. Also, since I am here, I want to thank you for your Corto scan work. I got some of the books but not nearly all of them, and they're always good to read.

I'm going to reveal my complete lack of computer knowledge, but what do you mean by a broken link? I can see and zoom in on the third image on my phone...

Edit: Though I am very happy you got some of the books, that makes my uploading of these things feel so much better.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How odd! Anyway, it's corrected now. Thanks everyone.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Wow, I couldn't imagine any other General of a collapsed state ensuring that his guerrilla army actually got their back-pay, or Looks like Mama Slütter's getting twice the heart-ache, or Corto can keep things under his hat

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jucika has the same type of charm as Arlo and Janis, I feel. Sorry for the lack of Corto yesterday everyone, I was travelling. But on that note, in today's Corto Maltese: Corto lives for revenge, or Corto engages in some T.E.A., or El Cairo gives the guarantee of all mercenaries

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: El Cairo has a very bad day, or Under pressure! dun-dun-dun-da-da-dun-dun, or Looks like the Leopard-Men have answered quis custodiet ipsos custodes, putting them a step above many modern-day police forces

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

drat, Billingsley can pull off a hat.

In today's Corto Maltese: You see, that's why bullet shields are important, Corto, or Brukoy has an unusual way of lifting charges, or Corto decides to leave Africa for more hospitable climes

And so we finish The Ethiopian and go onto what I consider to be the best story in the collection so far! Join us next time, won't you? In Siberia!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Christ, Wal, I'm no shepherd but that's a bit harsh, innit?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese we start my favourite adventure with: TITLE CARD!, or I guess Gold Mouth and Corto are travelling faster than the speed of light, then...?, or Suddenly, the I Ching!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto has friends in low places, or This is a period of the world that is not often taught about in the 'West', as it were. The world was very far from peace after the Armistice, or GET YOUR HANDS TOGETHER, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, FOR THE ONE, THE ONLY...!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hawkeye Gough from downtown!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Daaamn.

In today's Corto Maltese: And now we wave goodbye to the best character in the whole series, or 'I hope it's not CHRIS'S blood' - Corto, or Yep, that sure is an artist's rendition of Corto Maltese

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zereth posted:

... Huh?

I think he's sad because he wanted to do the meat sizzling thing, but other guy did it without any ceremony.

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto is well known to the police, or Corto has had a long day. And has an INCREDIBLE house!, or Ok, just how much did that mural cost to make, Corto?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: KNIFE to meet you!, or Rasputin has an odd sense of humour, or That's the thing about Hong Kong, people are slinging knives here, there and everywhere!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Idgi. What's a Hobson?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Surely you must have heard of the gold, Corto! It's on the train called The McGuffin!, or Rasputin is a go-getter, or Corto hopes that everybody gets in the way of trying to kill each other before getting round to killing them

So ends our current chapter! Join us tomorrow in...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto is advised - cherchez la femme, or Surprising no-one, Corto gets upset at Rasputin, or Also surprising no-one, Rasputin gets upset at Corto

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: This is why you only get junks from people with good reviews on Yelp, Rasputin!, or Rasputin is always game, or Corto takes a leaf out of Oh Dae-su's book

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Yes, Corto, the Red Lantern is of a feminine persuasion, did you not listen to Hü?, or Abandon ship!, or Abandon sea!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto's reputation precedes him, or Chang has ulterior motives, or Chang has a rather morbid taste in hanging decorations

So ends Corto's stint as a prisoner of Chang! At least, the idea that he is stuck in a particular physical location. Join us next tie, won't you? For...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 8-10, 1934)

It's been pointed out before, but woof!

In today's Corto Maltese: NSFW warning for certain people not going around with shirts on, or I'm sure there are worse things you could bring into a sauna than a cigar and a hat, but frankly, I'm having a hard time thinking of them, or The Duchess sums up pretty much why the Whites lost the civil war, despite the non-Communist forces supporting them

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Remember Corto, more people die in cars than in planes, or The Duchess takes some kind of perverse pleasure in the whole madness, or We'll see more of Ungern-Sternberg later in this story. But I must make this absolutely clear. Ungern-Sternberg was a real person. Ungern-Sternberg DID try to overthrow the Communists with a second Mongolian Horde. Ungern-Sternberg was - as the old saying goes- as mad as a goose on stilts

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Say, boys, is that the Chatanooga Khabarovsk Choo Choo?, or Russian nobility has a very odd way of showing affection, or Corto and Tippet make an unexpected stop

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 28-29, 1986)

God I love this one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto is very ungrateful to his 'rescuers', or Spatzetov and Tippet share a moment, or Corto gets a nick-name

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Roman has never heard of the adage 'Don't shoot the messenger', or Semenov is doubtful of Roman's big plans. Romans big, stupid, plans, or Madness and glories in this case = perhaps one of your descendants being a doctor in Finland maybe

So ends the story of The Romantic Duchess! Join us tomorrow, won't you? In...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese I like to imagine Semenov's men are dancing like this, or Corto reminds us all that it's not the size, but how you use it, or Semenov is very self-conscious man

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Spatzetov might be the most useless character in this whole series, and this is a series with Cain Groovesnore in it, or Corto has friends in low places, or Well, thanks for being straight-forward, Nino

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Oh yeah, there's another reason why travelling in heavy snow is a bad idea, or It's a Christmas end of January miracle!, or Rasputin has the stuff that's good for what ails ya

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Semenov is not a very nice person, or Deus ex Nino, or Rasputin has a distinct political philosophy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: The Duchess reminds us all why the Communists shot the monarchists in the first place, or Give 'em a broadside!, or Rasputin volunteers, that brave, selfless man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto gets annoyed at Rasputin, or OK, Nino, this is why the Communists win. They shoot first, THEN give the boast, or Well, that's everyone deafened now.