Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
January current event: The forums are currently broken right now and if you log out of your account you won't be able to log back in.

I'm not joking. Don't log out.

Edit: Nevermind, it's fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Casimir Radon posted:

Where's all the whining about GIPs continued existence happening?

Nowhere, it was one post in cspam.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

AlexanderCA posted:

I think this is incorrect. It was his youngest, her biological daughter, that she left with. The other girls being at their mom I assume. Though I haven't followed the drama since then so I don't know how it was resolved.

To my knowledge it has yet to be resolved.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

did she drop out as well?

No, she says she's still in the campaign.

Just without a staff. As you do.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Meshka posted:

Why? Suleimani is responsible for a lot of American deaths. Good kill.

This is the foreign relations version of killing a bee on your dick with a hammer.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Meshka posted:

Except for the fact that they armed and organized the insurgency since the invasion. This is not since April this has been going on since the revolution and 2003.

Surely we'll have different results from sticking our dick into the same hornet's nest THIS time!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

And the only reason this is the CE thread is because Two Finger wanted to see pictures of Monty so he spammed this one, thus artificially boosting the post count and making it so McNally picked this one.

As with most things, it’s the loving Kiwi’s fault.

I picked this thread because it had the most recent post when I looked, TwoFing hadn't started spamming then.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

Obviously we should find out who fired first in history so we can figure out who should fire last fairly, and then work out some kind of deal.

Han Solo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i cant even click on twitter links now bc my account is locked still

just because i posted this

Same.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Memos random.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dwanyelle posted:

You poo poo, yeah good for!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

Please don't loving be us again. loving please.

Does Boeing count as "us?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Schadenboner posted:

Goons in Platoons › January Current Events: This crowd is made up of ten cops, six revolutionary guardsmen, & two guys they bribed with juice packs

Too long, unfortunately.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't digging through post history for that poo poo what helldumping, which is against the rules, is?

Yup.

My understanding is that helldumping is a ban, doxxing is a perma.

But sometimes people will accidentally say doxxing when they mean helldumping because they're somewhat similar.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

Hey. gently caress this dumb poo poo know-nothing nonsense. I know it hurts your feelings to know that the big and good US military super hosed up in 1988, and you’re butthurt that people who have literally served on cruisers in the air defense section think you’re wrong, but don’t compare those arguments with Glenn loving Greenwald.

I’ll take my sixer or whatever , but Jarmak does not even remotely know what the gently caress he is talking about and has a “USA! USA!” sized blind spot.

You're talking about a guy who said that Iran shooting down the Ukrainian flight (176 fatalities) is "orders of magnitude worse" than the United States shooting down the Iranian flight (290 fatalities) and you think I'm going to sixer you?

What's in it for me?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought someone was stealing my schtick for a minute

Anything you can do, she can do better.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Holy poo poo my new av

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Beverly Hills 90210

Kansas City 7

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Woah, what was probatable/bannable about this post? I miss something?

Sam Harris is alt-right. Believes in racial science, thinks the Charlottesville nazis were just there to peacefully protest until violent antifa forced their hand, etc.

Victor Vermis is a poster who tends to straddle the line of what's acceptable. "I like nazis" puts him over the top.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Internet Wizard posted:

Bernie straight up denying that he told Liz that he didn’t think a woman could win looks really bad when everybody else is saying that conversation did happen. He should’ve said yes he said that but what he MEANT was blah blah and contextualized it

I thought the story was "the conversation happened, but he didn't say that."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

Ilhan Omar, AOC or Nina Turner could all win this election if they were in it. Warren can't because she's completely incapable of not owning herself whenever given the opportunity.

AOC can't run until 2024 at the earliest

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Assuming she'd even want to run in the first place.

If she doesn't want to run, she's the right person for the job.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

There's literally no rule that says the speaker of the house has to be a member. Porque no los dos?

You can't be in both the executive and legislative branches at the same time.

Edit: I'm misremembering something else. You might be able to do both.

Edit 2: I think I was right the first time.

McNally fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 16, 2020

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

joat mon posted:

By setting them all off?

Denuclearize the sun.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

AARP LARPer posted:

Thanks for letting me pop in here real quick. I have a dumb question that doesn't merit a thread and you seem like a decent lot.

You know how a high-ranking officer might employ an enlisted soldier as a personal aide-de-camp or whatever you call it -- and that enlisted soldier enjoys a certain....uh.... "freedom of action"...far beyond his rank because of who he works for?

Is there a term used to describe this type of coat-tail riding in the military? I'm going to beat you to the punch with "Another day that ends in -y", but seriously...what do you call that sort of power that a low-ranking dude inherits that way?

The kind of authority being thrown around because of who someone works for won't get extended to some junior enlisted dude. If an officer is high ranking enough that people working for him have that kind of clout to throw around, they're usually wearing stars and are telling junior officers to do their bidding.

Well, they're telling senior officers to tell the junior officers to do their bidding, really.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kesper North posted:

It's been a busy decade. Launch operations at Vandenberg began in 2013 with the launch of the first Falcon 9 1.1 booster and first commercial mission for SpaceX.

The first landing was in 2018, because while Vandenberg doesn't have a runway... where we're going, you don't need runways.

Fig. 1: A full-service spaceport.

Launch operations at Vandenberg began in the 1950s and they absolutely do have a runway.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I Googled the headline and it's a Breitbart article about an unnamed SF captain with 17 years of service being separated.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Breaking: Mike Pompeo is full of poo poo; water still wet. Film at 11.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6617_story.html

quote:

By
Paul Farhi
Jan. 26, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. EST
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says an NPR host lied in setting up an interview with him on Friday, but email records support the journalist’s account of how the contentious exchange came to be.

The emails, obtained by The Washington Post, indicate that Pompeo’s staff was aware that NPR’s Mary Louise Kelly would ask Pompeo about several topics in the interview and raised no objections, contrary to Pompeo’s characterization.

In an extraordinary statement issued on State Department letterhead on Saturday, Pompeo blasted Kelly for repeatedly asking him why he refused to express support for the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch. Kelly said afterward Pompeo berated her using profanity and challenged her to locate Ukraine on an unmarked map, which Kelly said she did.

“NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly lied to me, twice,” Pompeo said in his statement. “First, last month, in setting up our interview and, then again yesterday, in agreeing to have our post-interview conversation off the record. It is shameful that this reporter chose to violate the basic rules of journalism and decency.”

Pompeo’s statement implied that Kelly had agreed before the interview to confine her questions to developments in Iran and that he would not be asked about other subjects. He made the same claim during the interview but Kelly pushed back, telling him she’d worked out a different arrangement with his staff.

But emails between Kelly and Pompeo’s press aide, Katie Martin, a day before the interview show that there was no such agreement and that Kelly made clear her intention to question Pompeo about other topics.

“Just wanted to touch base that we still intend to keep the interview to Iran tomorrow,” Martin wrote. “Know you just got back from Tehran so we would like to stick to Iran as the topic as opposed to jumping around. Is that something we can agree to?”

Kelly responded, “I am indeed just back from Tehran and plan to start there. Also Ukraine. And who knows what the news gods will serve up overnight. I never agree to take anything off the table.”

Martin replied, “Totally understand you want to ask other topics but just hoping . . . we can stick to that topic for a healthy portion of the interview . . . Wouldn’t want to spend the interview on questions he’s answered many times for the last several months.”

Kelly: “My plan is to start with Iran and, yes, to spend a healthy portion of the interview there. Iran has been my focus of late as well. And yes — I also would not want to waste time on questions he’s answered many times in recent months.”

Martin, whose official State Department title is deputy assistant secretary for the Bureau of Global Public Affairs, did not respond to a request for comment. Kelly declined to comment.

Kelly, a veteran journalist who is a co-host of NPR’s signature news program, “All Things Considered,” said on the program on Friday that neither Pompeo nor his aides made any request that his post-interview comments be kept off the record. She said she would not have agreed to such terms if they had.

President Trump weighed in to the controversy on Sunday, replying “A very good question!” to a tweet by conservative radio and Fox News host Mark Levin in which Levin asked, “Why does NPR still exist? We have thousands of radio stations in the U.S. Plus Satellite radio. Podcasts. Why are we paying for this big-government, Democrat Party propaganda operation.”

Conservatives have tried to cut federal support of NPR and public broadcasting in general for decades, but have never succeeded in eliminating funding. The Trump administration proposed doing so in 2018, but was turned back by Congress.

Washington-based NPR receives less than 1 percent of its annual budget directly from the federal government, but relies on annual dues from hundreds of member stations around the country. These stations receive an average of about 15 percent of their budgets from the federally chartered Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

Five Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee rebuked Pompeo for his response to Kelly in a letter to him on Saturday. “At a time when journalists around the world are being jailed for their reporting — and as in the case of Jamal Khashoggi, killed — your insulting and contemptuous comments are beneath the office of the Secretary of State,” read the letter from Sens. Robert Menendez (N.J.), Cory Booker (N.J.), Edward J. Markey (Mass.), Jeff Merkley (Ore.) and Tim Kaine (Va.).

NPR has stood by Kelly since the dispute with Pompeo arose. “Mary Louise Kelly has always conducted herself with the utmost integrity, and we stand behind this report,” said Nancy Barnes, NPR’s senior vice president of news, in a statement Saturday.

Pompeo has occasionally bristled when asked questions he doesn’t like by reporters.

In October, he told a reporter for a Nashville TV station, Nancy Amons, that it “sounds like you’re working, at least in part, for the Democratic National Committee” after she asked him about the circumstances surrounding Trump’s withholding of military aide to Ukraine.

He made a similar comment to PBS NewsHour anchor Judy Woodruff when she broached the same topic a few days earlier.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MrMojok posted:

Alright, I will be the idiot here. If visibility is bad, and you are flying a helicopter in these conditions, why can you not take the helo 2000' feet above the highest known terrain feature?

Because that would be an admission that you don't know the route like the back of your hand and you are not, in fact, the awesome pilot you think you are.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Move the VA budget out of DOD

Uhhhhhh

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

He's a retriever, not a labrador.

Labradors are retrievers too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

In the context of the E-11 crash. I was trying to figure out if there was some weird notion that it was shot down and could have been protected somehow. As a general policy, of course I agree with you. I liked having them at my bases when I was over there.

The E-11 went down over Afghanistan though.

Edit: No wait duh I get what you're saying now.

McNally fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's February.