Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

Woah I'm seeing double, four current events threads!

This one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908757

was there first, all other threads are pretenders :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

colachute posted:

Mine was posted only after all time zones had reached 2020 so the other one was here first but was literally pretending.

no idea if this is true but in the spirit of 2020 I’m posting it anyway

A subforum civil war over which current events thread is the ONE TRUE THREAD would be both very funny, and very 2020, tbh

I'm down.

/Edit: and I fight for *checks other thread*

...House, uh...VAN GOATSE

:cripes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

colachute posted:

I have two caste iron pans.

I have never used them.

But...how?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm just confused why you think I "keep" being obnoxious about her. When was the last time I even criticized her about anything?

I think in this case, it was a bit disingenuous to imply that she'd be okay with a profitable war based on her use of "costly", when the context of that word over America's foreverwars was that they've cost American lives AND a metric fuckton of money.

/edit: Not saying I agree with his bit on the "you being obnoxious" part

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's fair and I'll cop to the post being pretty snide. I'm just sick of the equivocation, you can say this was a stupid thing to do without covering your rear end with "well he was a bad guy and needed to be extrajudicially murdered BUT..."

Yup, right there with you

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Earlier this year, I thought "well, this ending with Deutsche Bank is going to be embarrassing enough", but lol, Trump delivers

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It just occurred to me...

Lord van Goatse, I have failed you. My fight, lackluster as it may have been, was for naught, my liege.

I kneel before you...a broken bannerman.

Do with me as you will.

:negative:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, are you talking to me?

Oh, yeah, I was. I was fighting for the honor and birthright of your CE thread, then forgot all about it, then fell on my sword about it. Drinks were served, let's not talk about it. <3

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Also my Twitter ban appeal hasn't gone through yet so I had to log out in order to view those but it was worth it.

What were you banned for?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Isn't the green zone covered in multiple overlapping CIWS sectors or some other form of anti-missile/ballistic poo poo?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flying_Crab posted:

what. the. gently caress.

Muslim-ban, duh.

:suicide:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just a casual instrument flight through hell

https://twitter.com/RAAF_ACAUST/status/1213982043945570306

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So, uh, did I miss the statement?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm trying to read up on the drama and the question I'm left with before even getting too deep into the first thread is "why were like 90% of the pictures in PPJ's post removed already?"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Man, that US crew was so terrified of this blatant show of force that crewmen were casually waltzing around the helipad as the Russian ship tailgated them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I do not get it

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

McNally posted:

Holy poo poo my new av

:lol:

Also, RIP Ravens

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I only really watch NCAA, and don't care much about the NFL, but a friend of mine throws a bomb-rear end Superbowl-party every year (I think I told the story of how we introduced a couple of German friends to the wonder that is the Superbowl and then got last year's shitshow as their first event), so I usually just pick a team in the Playoffs and then go with a backup team once my first pick eventually gets crushed.

This year, I've been plowing through my annual re-watch of The Wire after Christmas, so Baltimore it was.

Not sure who my backup pick this year's gonna be yet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Arven posted:

So when Biden says he can win over Trump voters it's cool and good, but when there is objective proof that people will vote for Bernie who would otherwise vote for Trump if given the choice it's bad?

Ist that what you got from that Tweet?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Voters aren't responsible for the failings of disastrous candidates, hth

:cripes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I cannot go into specifics, but let's hypothetically assume I have had work experience with an employer where a constant in-joke at completely un-realizable planning scenarios by upper management would be sarcastically be commented on (behind closed doors) as "well, I guess Steiner's going to straighten all of this out".

Man, how wild would that be, huh?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm frankly amazed we've gone this long without someone tossing a string of firecrackers into an open-carry rally.

Also, Germany's having its annual "Dig up 4,000 lbs of Torpex" festival today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1218267237494218753?s=07

Plz stop bombing us, kthxbye

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

1. Ist there any real confirmation of these crazy reports of thousands of dead, folks dying on the streets and the dead being insta-cremated, outside of Twitter reports?

The closing down of main routes into cities I have no trouble believing, hospitals way beyond capacity because panic, yeah, because official reports and whatnot, but the rest? Any hard confirmation on that?

2. No one is going to care about impeachment now, right?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Putting a Kpop track on this is the kind of misery-clickbaiting on Twitter I was complaining about. gently caress that poo poo

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

"Having a nuanced discussion" on a topic you may be unintentionally ignorant on was perfectly fine like 10 years ago. Hell, I didn't know squat on the issue myself and had some uninformed opinions on the matter back when it came up in the MMA field (and it came up well before Joe Rogan ever broadcasted his opinion on Fallon Fox).

But now it's 2020...all medical/scientific/expert positions you would ever need from people that know what they're talking about has been out and readily available for a long while now. There's no real reason to start the same "nuanced discussion" from scratch again, and with the same factual basis that the 2011/2012-era BloodyElbow had, no less.

I'm not implying malice in the people that genuinely don't know about this and want to have a discussion on it to educate themselves. Seeking more information on the issue is good.
I'm saying "the leg work has already been done by people that matter and deserve to have their standpoint serve to educate you, and then come back and have a discussion".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I literally two hours ago watched a YouTube clip about comedians dunking on interviewers that asked them dumb questions, and there was a bit where Bill Burr said something like he was comfortable with his only plan for Boston to get good was to wait for Kobe to die

:stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

That audio/radar is loving rough.

Another pilot flying as they see fit.

Explain this to me please, because most of the really disturbing atc comms I've heard from crashes were usually much more obviously distressing to me as an layman than these.
In every other comms I've listened to, there was repeated ATC feedback to the pilot that they may be doing something they shouldn't be doing and probably should adjust their decision-making with varying degrees of urgency.

In this audio feed, the pilot constantly relays his altitude (which, I gather, was too low for either the conditions he was flying in?), but until almost the end of the recording there wasn't a single mention of him being too low, and even when it came, it was only because he was too low for "flight following" (?) or some such.
I mean, I'm aware that every aviator is responsible for conducting themselves responsibly to the conditions aware to them AND the regulations at every point, but I figured the recording would have included a lot more "Hey, uh, 2EX, you're hot-dogging it a bit there, you sure you don't want to come back to a safer altitude?"

I can't really tell at all what the pilot was doing wrong from the recording itself, especially if I didn't know he was too low to begin with.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

2.5 miles seems like plenty of distance to avoid flying into a hill. Were they flying in the clouds yet saying they were still in VFR?

That's kinda the angle I was coming from.

My layman's understanding is that the pilot was repeatedly confirming that he was flying via eyeball (and probably should have said that he can't see poo poo if that was the case), and at some point, it could have occurred to ATC to say "uh, our numbers say you shouldn't be seeing poo poo at that altitude based on weather reports"

Ah, okay, so pilot overconfidence in territory they thought were familiar with despite being in poo poo conditions that should have compelled them to not be an idiot, got it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

From what it seems like, it was more a lack of acknowledging bad visibility than sudden bad visibility jumping out of a bush and shanking you in the rear end.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I kinda also want to gloat and laugh and all that good stuff, but the end of the day, I still feel bad for the people getting hosed.
At least I'm kinda hoping for some juicy drama from a friend working at a HAUPTZOLLAMT. He isn't really involved in the actual international customs operations, but pretty much every customs employee has been getting an earful of the clusterfuck in the past couple of years.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Sounds like they were in special vfr.

https://youtu.be/B0pQfgi9ZqU

So "Special VFR" is basically the "I pinky-promise I can still see poo poo", and ATC doens't really have any way of saying "you're full of poo poo"?

mlmp08 posted:

In less fatal crash news, they walked away from this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgtins1HC8

The roll-cages on proper Rallye cars are absolutely le-git

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'd like to laugh at the UK, but I'm just tired

really, really tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm sorry, Cross-Atlantic stupidity is on snooze for 24 hours.

It's all about British stupidity for now