Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Christ almighty :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Meshka posted:

Think of it as a parity of power. They have none. For every attack against American citizens the relatianion will be ten fold. Maybe attacking american personel was not the wise strategic choice on their part.

You appear to have the geopolitical instincts of a watermelon, so I'll spell it out for you: Sometimes you have to let things go, because the cost of retaliation isn't worth it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

HELL YEAH NO WAR unless it's profitable

I'm gonna start donating a dollar to warren or volunteering every time you post if you're going to keep being this obnoxious about her.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

like seriously though A) Sanders' statement said basically the same thing and B) the fact that we may be at war with iran by the time we wake up in the morning is slightly more important than extremely petty sniping

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertMLee/status/1212928896745775104?s=20

Outside of whatever is going to happen on the ground over there, I'd imagine that some cyber warfare stuff is going to be the biggest way they can hit back right?

Closing the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran could pretty easily do, would have a major effect on global oil markets.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

We're on a dying comedy forum, literally nothing we post here is important.

that i'll give you

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's fair and I'll cop to the post being pretty snide. I'm just sick of the equivocation, you can say this was a stupid thing to do without covering your rear end with "well he was a bad guy and needed to be extrajudicially murdered BUT..."

Fair.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/janearraf/status/1213823941321592834?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'll have him know that we have many cultural sites from the people that were here before we were that we killed

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm starting to think that appointing an insane evangelical to head the CIA, and then later to be Secretary of State, was a bad idea!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

There is no legit reason beyond proliferation in general is bad. Nobody should have the loving bomb, and the more who have it, the higher the risk of someone setting off a nuclear war.

That's basically it: The more bombs there are in general, the more likely something bad will happen.

This reminds me of a 'fun' anecdote from Command and Control: During a study in... I wanna say it was late '50s, early '60s, some new leadership decided to take a close look at US Air Force accident rates. Doing some statistical analysis, they realized that in spite of the Air Force's protests that the chance of an individual bomb going off accidentally was 1/80,000, A) the actual chance was much higher, and B) even if the number was accurate and an individual weapon only had a very slim chance of going off accidentally, these numbers failed to account for the fact that there were tens of thousands of nuclear weapons in the inventory. Meaning, that in reality there was a 1/5 chance of an accidental thermonuclear detonation on US soil within the next ten years, and an accidental atomic detonation was about guaranteed under current safety practices.

Frankly it's a miracle we didn't blow ourselves up already and more nukes anywhere merely add to the chance that we will eventually.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
this is the greatest clown show in the history of the planet, no wonder Ringling Brothers shut down in the face of such competition

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
after three years of mere incompetence, malice, and negligence, this is the purestrain Trump administration we were promised

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Memento Mori

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

Everyone saw what happened to Libya and went 'gently caress that'

Which is kinda weird since what brought Gaddafi down was an internal civil war and allied airpower. What was he going to do, nuke Benghazi?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've always appreciated the perspective you folks have, and the CE threads have generally been much more readable and tolerable than pretty much anything else on the forums.

You're all good people, and Hail SS-18 Satan May His Passing Cleanse the Earth

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
also RIP FYAD, but honestly that trigger should have been pulled years ago.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the dogges thread

ftfy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY MINI LUCA

GERMAN SHEPHERDS WILL COME TO YOU BUT ONLY IF YOU TELL THEM THEY ARE GOOD BOYS

but what if they're good girls????

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress.

Can’t catch a break.

Seriously, hope this one didn't do too much damage.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

Joanna Piacenza (@jpiacenza) Tweeted:
Respondents were first given a larger, global map.

23% were able to correctly identify Iran. https://t.co/XhP5OU9s2n https://t.co/HVsWpf9ujt https://twitter.com/jpiacenza/status/1214897511414013954?s=20

tag yourself I'm the dude who picked the middle of the loving Atlantic

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Here's a salute to a true shitposter o7

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

A nazi was modding D&D and was banning some CSPAM posters. Several posters got discord logs/screen shots of the nazi saying nazi things on the nazi discord. These people were permabanned for "doxxing" and "mod sass". The nazi mod eventually put up this "defense" which was basically that they were totally an undercover spy guys, all the nazi stuff was just ironic to fit in. Because you know, you can't just idle and lurk on a discord for forever. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909802

Funnily enough I actually think that PPJ's explanation makes more sense than him secretly being a Nazi all along.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

Then you haven't internalized the lesson of FYAD.

I don't think that's actually the same? Like, the lesson of FYAD is "ironic bigotry is still bigotry," here, according to PPJ, it seems to be more of the case that he thought he was in a bad Tom Clancy knock-off and was saying what he thought he had to say to get in the group.

Personally I just find it easier to believe that the guy who's been posting on a liberal-lefty forum for longer than discord has even been around (and became a mod solely because he kept posting twitter dumps in USPOL and woke up with a blue star) was doing an extremely dumb and misguided espionage bit as opposed to secretly being a shithead the whole time.

e: this is basically the plot of Black KKKlansman, except dumber

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 8, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Personally speaking I'm willing to take PPJ at his word that he was posting awful poo poo in order to root out shitheads on the forums, but I can definitely understand why others are unwilling to do so. And regardless of his true intentions, there's a reason why internet detective poo poo and offsite drama are banned from the forums, and isn't something that any mod or admin should be doing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's still fundamentally batshit stupid for doing it like that at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpXzSHJaag

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish we could lock him in the pod from Watchmen and subject him to what normal people really think of him.

That or the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Crakkerjakk posted:

4.3 ppj 30 day probes benghazi 2 over getting sassed b/c he wants to give the benefit of the doubt to the op-ed of a kaiser permanante vp at pete's buttigieg's winecave fundraiser

Point of order, pretty sure it was (now former) TG mod Beer4theBeerGod who was getting sassed, which then lead to people digging into his post history, finding out he had a defense-related job, and then posting it (and his name) repeatedly which lead to multiple permas for doxxing.

Honestly you could write a whole book about the last two months on SA. Given the state of the country (and the world) everyone feels on-edge and distrustful of each other, and a lot of issues have been boiling over at a time when both Lowtax and the mod/admin staff have been unable or unwilling to adequately respond. And I don't think anyone involved are bad people (well except for the bigoted FYAD posters, getting rid of them is the one good thing to come out of this mess), but absolutely nobody is willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, for very understandable reasons.

I hope the hits stop coming, but I don't know. With the US election this year, things are going to get more and more heated along with the campaign. I just hope we all come out of this intact.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
People were absolutely posting his name, how to find his name, and what his profession was and how to find out in the fascism and 40K threads in TG. Not all of the posts/posters that got tagged deserved permas imo, but there was legit doxxing going on.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 9, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dwanyelle posted:

There's a bit more to it than that.

Sure, Beer also made a pretty bad transphobic post in the TG Fascism thread... seven months ago, which he apologized profusely for at the time, an that was accepted by the individual towards whom the comment had been directed. And there was also some other stuff going on with a CSPAM thread getting closed? (That I'm not so sure about and I'd have to look up again)

There's certainly a pretty strong case to be made that Beer wasn't a good mod and should have stepped down anyway (and really should have done so seven months ago when he made that comment in the first place), but at the same time (from my perspective) the response that ultimately stemmed from a pretty dumb post in the Dem Primary thread about the Butt-man's wine cave was wildly disproportionate, and should have never gotten to the level of doxxing to begin with (Which itself was partially due to SA's current mod/admin deficit and the closure of QCS).

sagas within sagas, each dumber than the last

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ElMaligno posted:

There has been 2, 6.0+ earthquakes; 5, 5.0+ earthquakes and, 4, 4.0+ earthquakes from 6 January until today.

Edit: My family is still ok.

Man I really hope this isn't building up to anything. Hope your family (and everyone else on the island) stays safe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
dickwaving over who's airliner whoopsie was more justified is the biggest waste of time and mental energy imaginable, good lord

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Looks like Iran is admitting they hosed up:

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1215841813644431361?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1216043162881478656?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Literally every team in Detroit had a miserable season, with little hope for improvement next year.

hooraaay

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Casimir Radon posted:

I forgot he was even running. All the Dems who latch onto milquetoast candidates without any forethought must have deserted him for Pete.

Booker really wanted to be Obama 2: The Hopening, but lost out on the "More Obama" vote to Biden, the "Someone who feels young and different" vote to the Butt, and of course the "Someone who's actually different" vote to Bernie.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
He spoke at my graduation!

His speaking style is, uh, very intense

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SimonCat posted:

She's not a chief, she's a Cherokee Princess.

I get attacking Warren on the blood test poo poo because that was handled spectacularly poorly and deserves to be attacked, but the way some have attacked her for it by attaching it to outdated stereotypes (like this post) feel pretty gross imo. It's literally Trump's Pocahontas poo poo but from people who should know better.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

5) Any debate, if it happens, won't matter. Opinions are solidly made about Trump already, all a Democrat really needs to do is string together coherent sentences on a debate stage about how much he sucks. It's a 12-hour news cycle, people will forget about any debate a week after.

Yeah, this. A lot of people forget that Hillary loving dumpstered Trump in all three debates last cycle, it just didn't matter since there was nearly a month between the last debate and the election. Trump is even less coherent this go-around, and is basically guaranteed to walk around the stage saying the most insane/racist things imaginable giving the Dem candidate easy layups, if he even shows up at all.

bad move by warren imo. You can see the plausible deniability where she says she doesn't think Bernie's not a misogynist ("Opinions on punditry"), but Bernie is the wrong person to pick a fight with (Even one as small as this) and moving away from their non-aggression pact just hurts them both. If were Warren, when it comes up as a question during the debate (which it definitely will, now), I'd either shut it down immediately or redirect it into a more general attack on electability arguments in general.

I mean, she probably won't, and this is going to turn into a worthless slapfight that hurts them both, but it's nice to dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Old Boot posted:

Was she supposed to just ignore it entirely? She's been getting dogged for redirecting on other things, she could be called out as 'weak' for not addressing it (not wanting to pick a fight with his fanbase), and honestly, I think she responded to it about as well as she could. The media got their dirty paws on it, and they weren't letting go one way or another.

I mean, there's about a 90% chance her campaign decided to leak the story as a (mild imo) attack against Sanders to try and drive Democratic women towards Warren in Iowa, with Warren's knowledge. It is also possible this was leaked in retaliation to those Sanders call scripts from... last week? saying Warren wouldn't bring anyone new into the party. Either way, a fight with Sanders isn't what Warren needs right now, and the timing of this attack is basically guaranteed to make it an issue in the next debate.