Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

wtf is going on with this "forums drama"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

as a filthy civilian I can say GiP is very welcoming, on the flip side one of the reasons the CE thread don't suck is because it runs under the radar

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I have an instant pot I guess I just suck with it. Cast iron + sous vide rule tho.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1212915689750716416

If this is true then Lebanese Hezbollah will retaliate as well; probably by hitting Israel. This is how a big regional war can start.

Almost every county in the region is already at war, in a civil war, or fighting a proxy war, this is just gonna ramp it up to Full Clancy.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Edgar posted:

So chaos reigns?

Chaos reigns.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Meshka posted:

Think of it as a parity of power. They have none. For every attack against American citizens the relatianion will be ten fold. Maybe attacking american personel was not the wise strategic choice on their part.

they've been attacking american personnel since around 2003 you fuckin clownshoe

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

My favorite description of CIWS is "it's not the last line of defense, it's the first step on damage control".

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Tythas posted:

I'm sure they have, However the law as it's written at the moment doesnt help when it bans pretty much every weapon that can take a magazine, (more specifically anything that can accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.) which means every weapons save revolvers a few pump action shotguns that hold 7 rounds or less and some bolt action rifles would be banned. With no grandfather clause either

The governor specifically stated that there would be a grandfather clause.

I would appreciate a reputable link to the restrictions you have cited, I can't find any.

Edit: not trying to be a dick with the "reputable" comment but there's a ton of bullshit that comes up when you try and Google Virginia gun laws now.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Tythas posted:

You're correct in so far as the grandfather clause requires you to register your weapon

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB16

Okay, reading the definition there, it's a semi-auto with a fixed magazine that can take 10+ rounds and has one banned feature, or a semi-auto with any size detachable magazine with one banned feature.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

egyptian rat race posted:

This. Please read the bills that have been put up for consideration before clicking "share" on a social media post.

I'm not trying to be a dick either, but I used to work retail so spare me the story and bring a receipt or you're not getting a refund

Clicking on the link in the bill for the definition of assault weapon takes you to some law about street sweepers, scroll all the way to the bottom for the proposed definition.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Burt posted:

Pentagon Chief of Staff just resigned.

:holymoley:

Not the JCS, he's the chief of staff for SecDef. Relax.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's fair.
But since a bunch of other dude's have them, why shouldn't Iran?

This has been the top argument in international relations academics for the last sixty years or so.

Short answer: the more there are, the more nations will get them in response, proliferation spreads, use becomes inevitable.

Counter-argument: proliferation leads to stability as nobody wants to trigger a nuclear exchange.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

It's paywalled, but one of the top names in international relations and nuclear proliferation, Kenneth Waltz argued that Iran should get the bomb.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/iran/2012-06-15/why-iran-should-get-bomb

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

The anti-proliferation stance makes sense, but that isn't the stance of most who are against it.
I'm just trying to figure out the mental math that we use to decide who is allowed and who isn't

The NPT enshrined the powers that already had it, and had enough carrots and sticks in it to prevent most regional powers from developing nuclear weapons, plus a lot of nations fell under the security umbrellas of the US or USSR.

Some nations, mostly pariah states like Israel, Taiwan and South Africa developed nuclear weapons as deterrents, Ukraine inherited a massive nuclear arsenal. Both SK and Ukraine disarmed for very diffet reasons.

India and Pakistan developed arms in a classic regional arms race between rivals- and it's worth noting that India and Pakistan have not had a large scale conventional war since both sides developed nukes.

The current best argument against proliferation is what if Syria had been a nuclear armed power before the current civil war because fuuuuuuuck

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

that civil war goes nowhere without the West and the US literally doing the heavy lifting

And Caro.

I really hope Caro got the treatment he needed.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

I'd be willing to bet that the overall ready rate is a lot lower, I'd be surprised if they are achieving a 70% mission ready status.

Somewhere, a MX officer shuddered and he doesn't know why.

That article about the Marine F-18 crash? The unit only had about a third of it's F-18s ready to fly. I think 70% for the F-35 might actually be a little high.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/BA_Friedman/status/1214496745020952577

:drat:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

Being a tax cheat is a big part of Greek culture so I can see why that would appeal to him.

:golfclap:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

1860s zouave uniforms

I would also accept those weirdo landskrect or whatever uniforms from 1600s Europe

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Hoooo boy does it ever.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

There's a chance that Northern Ireland will explode :dadjoke:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Arc Light posted:

It'll be nice and smooth. No Troubles at all.

Here's a blast from the past:

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgg4mLosyOI

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 9, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kesper North posted:

Should be an AR-18, not an AK

Yes, but

BigDave posted:

Didn't Quadaffi get them AKMs and RPGs back in the late 80s?

So AK is also acceptable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army_arms_importation

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 9, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Any sympathy I have for the cause is drowned in the sea of blood the PIRA unleashed, including poo poo like kidnapping a person's family and forcing them to become a suicide bomber.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_bomb

I can respect a cause but despise a terror group.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

And then you look at what the monarchy they're trying to separate themselves from has done over the past few hundred years and things get a little more muddied.

Like I said, respect a cause, hate a group.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

NO ABU JAHAAR! THAT WAS THE ROCKET FOR PLANES!

son of a bitch :iceburn:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

of course though a cop would loving defend margaret thatchers kill squads

Get hosed shitbird, it'll be a cold day in hell before I defend the British in Northern Ireland. If you can't actually find anything offensive in my posts maybe do me a favor and don't flat out make poo poo up.

I've actually posted before in other threads about how absolutely hosed the British security services in northern ireland are and were ( fuckin Miami Showband Massacre is a good example ) so maybe close your fuckin trap and try reading comprehension.

Your pathetic obsession with my day job has fried your brain.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s how the USN shot a... Greek (?) frigate right ?

Turkish.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Abongination posted:

The D&D and C-spam hate for Brown Moses is really incredible.

They're just angry that an unemployed goon on the couch totally revolutionized open source intelligence.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Crakkerjakk posted:

Again, I'm not saying the Iranians didn't shoot down this airliner (it's the simplest explanation) or that Russian seperatists didn't shoot down the airliner in Ukraine (seems amply documented). It's that Bellingcat tends to focus on the misdeeds of the geopolitical enemies of the US and it's allies instead of the misdeeds of the US and it's allies. That's why the US sends them money.

Bellingcat has repeatedly investigated incidents and blamed the United States for the outcome.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2017/03/16/us-missile-remains-reportedly-recovered-from-site-of-aleppo-mosque-bombing/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

what

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

If you want to follow a expert on extremist wackjobs, JJ McNab is top tier.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jjmacnab

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I typed out a really long post but then I thought better of it. All I'm gonna say is get help if you need it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

loving in space must be like fighting in hockey, you just gotta keep hold of your partner and keep one eye out if you drift to close to a wall

if the current thread title wasn't already great, I would nominate this

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

DUCKWORTH

DUCKWORTH 2020

I legit don't care about any of her politics I just want to see her throw a prosthetic leg at trump on a debate stage

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

They can't even solve a two body problem.

:perfect:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

ganglysumbia posted:

except funds

:raise:

:ussr:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

are you serious with this, lmao

really, russia-baiting as late as 2020 long after the extremely public failure of mueller and of every single prediction -- of either bombshell evidence or a working crime-prosecution apparatus

sure his entire term is almost up but trump is gonna be lead out in cuffs any second now, really... tomorrow we'll be back to normalcy where the country is 100% functioning perfectly, promise

e: in summary, you really could stand to read the entire rest of that thread quoted from in my previous post

did you read the loving Mueller report? Because he concluded that Russia engaged in significant active measures to influence the election.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I wonder what hardened GRU officer has been assigned to conduct influence operations on the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

In other news, somebody has hacked Burisma, the Ukrainian company at the center of the Hunter Biden "scandal".

I'm sure our Russian friends will not use this for obfuscation and spreading disinformation.