Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think people hate Toy Story 4 because it simply does not need to exist. Toy Story 3 closed the arc. Toy Story 4 is Disney trying to reignite the spark and causing a wildfire of terrible.
Yeah, the movie is completely redundant. Its basically just combining different plot elements from the first 3 movies. Forky's character arc is just Buzz Lightyear's arc from the first movie. Most of the characters don't even do anything for most of the film. There isn't really a reason for them to be there, and the movie even set-up a good plot reason for them to not be present.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

nankeen posted:

i really am sorry for bringing the topic of the shoah into this light-hearted thread like i did, i know there are other posters here with similar history who just want somewhere to talk cartoons and am so sorry for shattering the mood. i was (incredibly) unaware of bakshi as an artist, the content and the context of his work, and knowing that i'd probably liveblog the thing itt in my own irritating way i tried to choose the film that, from its wikipedia summary, sounded least loaded. please understand i was posting in real time and actually don't have anybody nearby to talk to about this very specific topic irl so just offloaded emotionally on the forums as i am wont to do. i promise not to do it again in this thread, it's not the place for it. i might talk bakshi, but will keep it light.

just to finish, for interests' sake, this is the wikipedia summary for wizards

note the complete non-mention of nazism, or any other historical content directly present in the film. this is why i'm troubled by how this movie is remembered by non-jewish audiences, such as the animation fans who've recommended it to me irl and whoever wrote the (very carefully written) passage above; because i don't know if they deliberately omit/downplay the holocaust theme, or if they do so accidentally because those parts just somehow didn't stick in their minds

and that's all i will say on the matter. please forgive me!

(the chaks remain back)

I think unless you know that the movie was deliberately about the holocaust, the Nazis in the film just come across as being in there to just emphasize how evil the villains are. Nazis have come to represent people who are unambiguously evil.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yup! That documentary was made by the filmmaker responsible for the “Recobbled Cut”. It’s watchable but not a good film, because Willians was just interested in incredible sequences. Commercials and short films were his perfect medium, it’s too bad he was so hell bent on wanting to make a feature.

Yeah, its so strange that the thief subplot is so isolated from the rest of the film. Granted, I've only watched the re-cobbled version but it seems like the character could be completely cut from the film aside from his role in starting off the events of the movie. I know they are mainly there so Williams can mess around and have some cool animation sequences, but I feel like they could've been integrated better into the main plot.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 2, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The absolute weirdest thing is the legit Nazi furries.
With how many furries that like to pretend they are wolves, that is the least surprising thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yep, that's probably going to be great. They even got the guy who did the Hereditary music to do the soundtrack.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm finally watching the final season of Samurai Jack. It's super good. Is the movie still in development? I remember J.J. Abram's Bad Robot studios was attached but that probably got sidetracked with Star Wars.

No, that got cancelled. The final season is the conclusion to the series, and it doesn't leave any loose plot threads.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, there's no reason to really do the twist as imho the game's original story is pretty drat good and doesn't need any punch ups.

Also, if they were going to do it, it probably should have happened much earlier in the movie so it could at least be somewhat justified. I wonder if they did it because they didn't want a canon story for the game. That would be super lame.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

hallelujah posted:

there's so much great fanfic out there to provide narrative inspiration that they had no excuse for a boring plot

I'm looking forward to the sequel with such characters as sonic but with heterochromia, sonic but green, sonic but with a sword, and sonic but turqouise. Also, they are all friends with Gary Smith from Ohio, and think he is the coolest person in the world.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

I was watching Toy Story 4 for the second time since the theater viewing.

Why did they give Buzz the case of the stupids for this movie? it's really jarring.

They didn't know what to do with him, like with most of the cast.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think Disney animation studios is probably poaching most of the talent these days. I don't think its coincidence that the resurgence of Disney's main animation studio started happening right after Pixar was acquired.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The woman with white hair is literally based off a character from one of the shows that helped define the harem anime genre. (Ryoko from Tench Muyo for those curious.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pick posted:

I hate to say this but I think that we need to find, and I know this won't be easy, people who are into animation have not seen anime. We got to find them. Like an endangered species. And then we need to put them in some of these animator habitats so that they can make the artistic ecosystem more robust, with fewer blushing magic teenagers

There is a lot of really good animation from Japan, so you can't really call yourself a fan of animation if you aren't willing to give anime a shot. I think at this point, everything is going to be at least a little bit indirectly inspired by anime.

Hazbo Hotel's problems aren't because of anime, its because of people from tumblr fandom communities trying to become writers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

hallelujah posted:

i used to want to be an animator, but then i settled for screaming until i die

So you became a radio talk show host?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Honestly movie theaters being open in time for Mulan’s new date is still very much up in the air, I feel like movies aren’t gonna be considered essential that quickly, especially since it’s basically gathering dozens of people in a room for multiple hours. Even without interacting with each other it’s still a big risk.

If any movie deserves to suffer the consequences of the pandemic, its Mulan.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

There are some bits that are weird in hindsight though - where would those kids have even got a muzzle? It doesn't seem like they'd be sold in department stores given they'd probably be reserved for law enforcement or psychotic patients.

They'd probably be sold in certain stores at strip malls though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I also assumed that part of the problem may have been that Kung Fu Panda 2 was a full American Dreamworks production, while 3 was a co-production between the American studio and Dreamworks' newly founded 'Oriental Dreamworks Studio'-nee-Pearl Studios (which Chinese investors have invested a lot of money into). I assume at that point, notes went from American execs trying to mold it into something western audience pleasing, to international money men giving multiple notes that probably ruined a lot of creative choices. Not to mention the logistic hiccups that come from two studios, across the world, working on the same film.

I think a big factor is that since it was now actually made in China, the censors were also probably a lot more strict with the film. Even if the censors weren't directly telling them what to cut, I imagine the Chinese studio was trying hard not to piss off Winnie the Pooh.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The thing I remember about Titan AE is that its tone was all over the place, and sometimes it would awkwardly insert silly jokes for a very young audience. This was the opinion of my 10 year old self though. I haven't seen the movie since.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Aces High posted:

I feel bad for Mike and Bryan, they got dicked around by Nick when they were making Korra, to the point where we got a goddamn clip episode in the middle of season 4, a season that already was shortened because Nick wanted the series wrapped up.

I dunno Korra was lucky it got as many seasons as it did. Its ratings tanked despite starting out strong in the ratings. It wasn't like it was some obscure show that was failing because nobody knew about it. People stopped watching because it was bad. There are plenty of shows that got cancelled for bad reasons, but Korra wasn't one of them.

The last airbender movie stuff sucks though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have zero hopes for a live-action Avatar for much the same reason Lindsay Ellis discussed why CATS shouldn't be a movie. One visual medium doesn't naturally lend itself to another, and the prospect of a live-action version should be not treated as some sort of upgrade in legitimacy. Especially ween the strength of the source-material is that it's a cartoon that takes advantage of how elastic the medium is.

Relevant tweet:

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/1294795540132237319?s=20

Sounds like we are getting a movie about Bad Box Art Mega Man.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Barudak posted:

Here are two good reviews from chinese viewers:

"This is the general tso's of movies" and "just because you cooked it in a wok and gave me chopsticks doesn't make it chinese food or edible"

Congrats on Disney on creating a movie for no one that nobody likes that thanks genocide. I really think the chinese government demanded the thanks Xinjiang as a brilliant poison pill.

General Tso Chicken is delicious though. That is not a good metaphor, because while some people might complain, most people wouldn't care if it wasn't "authentic" if the film was good. Dragon Ball is extremely popular in China, and its very far from being accurate to the original chinese story it was based on.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 13, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

I can already see the Lilo and Stich live action movie is going to be watered down as possible while also having an american view of Hawaiian culture.

I mean Haiwaiian culture is literally American culture, even though its a sub-culture.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I can't imagine movie studios surviving if they keep on delaying the release of all these films. Especially if you consider that eventually 2021 is going to be really bloated with films coming out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I mean while Raya is inspired by certain cultures its still set in a fantasy setting. They are allowed to have some creative license. its not like fantasy stories have super accurate portrayals of European culture either and are usually a hodgepodge of different cultures.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel like if you come up with a scam this elaborate and hilarious you should get to keep the money and go free.

At a certain point you've earned it, and they absolutely earned it at "fake genie".

They've managed to pull off this scam multiple times. Maybe India needs to run an ad campaign on how to spot a fake genie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Which is just super sad, because for at least 15 years after their emergence it seemed like they were operating on a level all their own, where they were physically incapable of putting a foot wrong. Even their weaker entries were miles ahead of what anyone else was doing and showed up their upstart competition as flailing posers. "New Pixar movie" was holy poo poo time

I think Disney starting to poach talent from Pixar for their own animation studio was what was the end of that. You'll notice the quality of Disney animated movies go up around the same time as Pixar started its decline.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pick posted:

I went into it plenty in the old SU threads and don't care enough about it as a property to relitigate it, but basically everything from Beta (I/II) onward is just fumbling. There's a lot of very solid content before that, but everything after that just has no idea at all where it's headed and at what pace. Essentially, the show probably had a plan, but it got trapped in a place where it's reacting to its audience instead of telling its story and that sends it down a lot of useless and confusing rabbit holes. Eventually they realize, after a lot of puttering around, that they wasted a ton of time and have tons of story threads that now can't really resolve in time and which can't be fleshed out enough to be satisfying. It's the exact same problem Lost had. The White Diamond finale shot is a great example of something that's visually great but unearned and the product of a bunch of new powers they whipped out at the last second to plaster over a conflict they couldn't get to gel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjd1hVEwXQo

You could show that shot to someone only five episodes (out of 150+) prior to it happening and they would have no idea what is happening and why and what it's supposed to be calling back to thematically or mean.

The movie however is probably the prime example, where it could be about "what do you do with a toxic friend?" but ultimately isn't able to say anything particularly useful about it, because it gets too trapped in Lore, Reactive Character Revisionism, and Original Character Do Not Steal. It has a lot of interesting notions, but none of them coalesce.

The super long delays were actually advantageous to Steven Universe because it hid how terrible the pacing was. Once the show stopped being monster of the week and started focusing heavily on plot, it really suffered. So many plots that had a lot of build-up that never really went anywhere.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 28, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Animation 2021: Christoper Nolan's Space Jam Will Save Cinema

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ccs posted:

Variety panned Goro Miyazaki's "Earwig and the Witch". Poor Goro, he's tried directing movie in both hand drawn and CG and neither has measured up a bit.

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/earwig-and-the-witch-review-1234896618/

Meh, I feel like the fact that Goro keeps on getting to be a director is pretty blatant nepotism, and there are probably people working at Ghibli who are much more qualified.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

That's really cool, I remember being disappointed that the indiegogo project failed. I didn't know the dude decided to go ahead with making it anyways.

Here is the first film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge18Ieyi9bI

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ungulateman posted:

"stop making media based on other people's cultures! white people should only make movies about other white people! there's no way this is a bad concept!"

Culture can't exist without somebody appropriating someone else's idea, and adding their own perspective to it. A culture is not just one person. Also, if you go back far enough, you can pretty much always find influences from another culture for something that is only supposed to belong to a certain group of people.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Its amazing how even an animated Adam Sandler movie somehow feels like its just him and his friends going on vacation.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

mycot posted:

Yeah that's what annoys me most about the whole thing; Raya IS derivative of Atla.

I swear Disney sets up these situations on purpose, like how it was impossible to be negative about Captain Marvel the year it came out without looking like one of those insane people who think Brie Larson should smile more

Its definitely on purpose with movie studios now. Look at what happened with the Ghostbusters remake. It was incredibly obviously that the movie was going to be bad, but if anybody dared to point it out, the angry mobs would go after them. This was something deliberately encouraged by the people involved in the film.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

It'd be cool to make a movie with little rod puppets. Like stop motion scale, but you don't have to animate the thing so meticulously and you greenscreen out the rods. Might be cheaper, who knows!

You might be interested in the Japanese-Taiwanese series Thunderbolt Fantasy, which uses puppets. Its had multiple movies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

galenanorth posted:

They rejected more Avatar content when they thought they were up to their ears in ideas for shows, on the heels of all the things that came out in the 90s and 2000s, then nearly two decades later, they announce a new series, but it's just online fan discussion vtubing except made by the company that made Avatar, instead of more Avatar. This is like Disney using May 4 to announce a new series about fans debating Star Wars and then saying "welp, that's all".

I'm convinced Avatar the Last Airbender was lightning in a bottle, and any sequel series isn't going to be nearly as successful and good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Watch all the sequels (4 of them i think) next. I've always wondered how such flops can get so many sequels financed

If you think that is weird, somehow there are two Lovecraft children's movies, with Ron Perlman, Jeffery Combs, and Mark Hamil in the cast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHCdRCNJl9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxAQmye2tZU

You can make CGI movies for real cheap, and still have recognizable actors in them too. (although most of the rest of the cast is the writer/director's family)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eh I wouldn't say that, those kinds of jokes date back to the Simpsons and people watching the episodes on VHS.

They actually predate VHS, so sometimes there was stuff put in there that the creators never expected a person to see.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Hotel Transylvania 4 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AP86CYeR30

No funny jokes, but the concept might have some legs.

It seems like Dracula's daughter/her husband might actually be more of the focus for this one instead of it entirely being focused on Adam Sandler and friends. Too little and too late at this point.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Watching Invincible now (memes got me all FOMO'ing) and 2 eps in I'm pretty impressed. What I find myself wondering is, is this the first time there's been a traditionally-animated series in the prestige long-form 44min format? My brain is super not used to seeing animation go on for that long at a stretch and not be, like, a full movie.

45 minutes is the usual episode length for OVAs, although they have mostly died out aside from bonus episodes for anime.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

readingatwork posted:

I've talked about it before but Luca is VERY gay and it's VERY intentional. It's just that the gayness is limited to the realm of themes, vibes and allegory so if you aren't familiar with gay culture then you probably missed most of it. For example, here are Luca and Alberto in fish form:

And here's the MLM pride flag:

Hrmmmmm..... :thunk:

There is so many pride flags out there at the moment, I don't think matching the color scheme of the flag means anything. Especially since those colors are already associated with aquatic stuff. To be clear, I'm talking about this specific scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

How long does this predate my hero academy

The creator of My Hero Academy isn't exactly subtle about his inspirations. Especially, if you read the spin-off, which pretty much literally has Cyclops and Wolverine as characters.