Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Smol posted:

Plague Tale y/n?

I really liked A Plague Tale. I think my enjoyment was improved by knowing it was developed by a small French studio that had only really made licensed Disney games prior. It definitely punches high above its weight in the graphics, music and storytelling department even if the stealth gameplay can be a little frustrating at times. I was expecting the striking visuals and hordes of disgusting rats, but I wasn't anticipating some surprisingly well-written and performed characters. I would say it's probably most analogous to a B-tier Last of Us experience with a 10-12 hour runtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Smol posted:

The English audio is that bad?

I've played the game in both English and French, and each version has its strong points. The French is more immersive, but I also really like the English VA for Amicia and Melie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just finished Eliza and it's a very powerful, thoughtfully written VN. Definitely gave me a lot to meditate on in our current times.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Now would be a good time to replay KRZ since I've forgotten most of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Bit of a PC Gaming question: Does an NVMe SSD make an appreciable difference in loading stutter compared to a SATA one? Specifically wondering if that would brute force past some of the issues in badly optimized games, like I'm experiencing right now in Fallen Order.

As far as I'm aware load stutters are more of a memory management issue than anything related to the hard drive, especially if you're already using an SSD. You would see a general improvement in load times but it wouldn't solve frame hitching whenever new assets are called into or dumped out of memory. For games that have this problem I limit frames to 60fps with RTSS and/or use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to better manage system memory. It's been helpful for a number of games I've played this year -- AC Origins/Odyssey, Division 2, A Plague Tale, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I stopped playing KRZ a little way into ep 3 because I realised I had forgotten too much of the first two episodes, and it would be best to wait for the whole thing to be completed.

Made the right choice there, I reckon.

I did pretty much the same thing and my patience has been rewarded. I remember when Ep. 5 was initially supposed to come out in early 2018.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Popete posted:

For some reason I was struck with the desire to play The Stanley Parable yesterday, I'd only played it for 45 minutes awhile back and was immediately hit with this achievement.

Good stuff.

Also this is old news, but after putting a few hours into it yesterday it really is a cool thing. Go play it if you've never put much time into it, it's not that long unless you absolutely must see everything.

Joke's on them, I have never gone outside.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Who knew the Game of the 2020s was gonna come out in January of this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I should probably just go through the entire game again because I never played those little entr'actes in between chapters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

queeb posted:

man i started playing Control and this is a good fun weird game

Dynamite!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I recently finished a second run of A Plague Tale: Innocence and I think among its other strongpoints, it has a wonderfully expressive and underrated original score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUMByvhKGY

Always loved the soundtrack for Child of Light as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byz6960tWxQ

And of course the obligatory GRIS mention!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBToMwdYBME&t=153s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Does AC Odyssey allow you to ignore the plot and go sidequesting/exploring for 60 hours?

There are some important upgrades tied to plot points where you might want to follow the main storyline at least up to the point where you leave Phokis (~16), but the game expects that you'll be doing a lot of sidequesting along the way. The main storyline will take you through most of the islands naturally, and the rest are usually tied to some major questline involving a cultist and/or mythical beast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

The last act transition of Origins is hilarious.
After hours of Natural Born Killers loving their way through revenge murders and accidentally helping people, the story throws a sea battle, a Julius Caesar, two elephants, a chariot chase, and a poo poo ton of historical references at you in the span of one-two hours.

And those loving faces

I say this all the time but the entire actual plot of AC Origins happens in literally two cutscenes near the end of the game. It's bizarre and makes me feel like there was an entire second map with Aya that just got cut.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

wow i was going to make a joke of "wow a 400% increase in copies sold? that's 5 copies!" but i didn't expect it to be literally true

It's already halfway to the lifetime sales of Lawbringers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've probably played through Horizon six times already on PS4, but who can possibly resist seeing it maxed out at 60fps? Hell ya :pcgaming:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think Sony will make it a common practice, but porting Horizon to PC is a smart move when you're at the end of a console's lifespan and want to drum up hype for the PS5 with Horizon One Noon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bloodborne is generally better than Souls because the health vials + rally mechanic mean you can fight back and still keep going rather than taking 3 sips from your estus flask and being good as dead because there's no way you'll reach the next bonfire now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most hype game of 2020 is now something I've already played for 300 hours on PS4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

The only open-world games I ever really played much of were the Elder Scrolls and Shadow of Mordor series. I liked Elder Scrolls for the mostly messing around with mods and I liked Mordor for the nemesis orc system, and neither of those qualities are available in most open-world games. I've tried the assassins' creed set in Italy way back in the day but found the combat super shallow and the stealth was real unimpressive compared to batman-style predator rooms or the Shadow of Mordor orc weakness / strength stuff to mix fights up.

When it came out I heard HZD was good but didn't really pay much attention to it since it was console-only. Does it have stuff that makes it good besides lizard-brain checklist mapsweeping?

Horizon Zero Dawn has a really strong central storyline and a much deeper combat system than most open-world RPGs. The world itself is also quite compact and doesn't really demand that you participate in clearing out each possible activity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

People who have a gaming PC also having a console isn't that uncommon

If the market is out there and you're selling consoles at a loss then in Sony's mind it might no longer matter if you're playing first-party games on PC or on their own system. Consoles are just PCs nowadays anyway so it's not like the work to port them is what it used to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PC sales comprise such a small and non-interfering share of the console market that I think MS/Sony are starting to see the value in timed exclusives followed by ports. Or at the very least, selling the license to have another publisher do the actual hard work of porting it, like they've done with Death Stranding + probably Horizon. It's not 2007 anymore and basically every video game system runs off of x86 architecture now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Plague Tale: Innocence is now on Gamepass. :yeah:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm rich so I spent 30bux on the early access to Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. As far as a Diablolike goes I think it's cool and shows a lot of promise. It feels about halfway between D3 and PoE in terms of the overall complexity and itemization, with some generally good design decisions and ARPG conveniences. The visuals are solid for a budget studio and the monster exploding feels good. It's currently capped at level 20 and only Act 1 is playable, with a lot of systems (crafting, character customization, etc.) still missing. I'm looking forward to when it goes into full release in February.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

Control is the premier ray-tracing game right now and it's also really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Wolcen will be pretty cool on full release. Even with the very old + limited EA build I could see a lot of potential and the monster hitting feels good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anno posted:

Everything I've seen about this game looks pretty awesome in .gifs. For people who've played the EA version, is the speed of the game/combat more like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile?

It takes some cues from PoE ala the sphere grid but the combat is most similar to Grim Dawn, skyhigh monster ragdolling included. It's also clearly influenced by D3 with the free switching of skills and different runes that change the nature of the spell. It seems to work pretty well and I'm looking forward to the main release when all the game systems will be implemented.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Iverron posted:

Looks like it’s on Humble so I’ll buy it before the price increase as soon as the next Choice is live.

How’s the rippiness of the game looking? My biggest beef with current PoE is getting exploded with poor / nonexistent information RE: what exploded me.

That's something that could stand to be improved in the final build because you'll for the most part be untouchable against normal mobs and then some random poison puddle will drain all your health in a second. The EA version is pretty old though and levels are capped at 20 so it's impossible to say what the endgame will look like at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eliza is really good (it was my #2 game of 2019)

Eliza was really good but who seriously wouldn't choose to get with the hot lesbian technodance programmer over all the other end options.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

How far away is the release for the full game version of Wolcen?

Tomorrow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Trickyblackjack posted:

Hello

Here is my ranking of the voice acting quality in Plague Tale by language, based on the first couple of minutes:
1. English
2. German (could've used french accents)
3. French

I've played the game in both English and French, and while French is cool for the immersion factor I do prefer the English VA overall. Amicia and Melie's actresses do a really good job.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Edit: NM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anybody played Simulacra 2? I saw some of Geek Remix’s LP and it seemed pretty cool, definitely a way more interesting concept than the spoopy haunted cell phone of the first game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Developers are entitled to make their games as difficult or accessible as they want but people are also free to call into question why the game absolutely needs to be hard for everyone, and when they do I often find myself wondering the same thing. This has nothing to do with legitimate accomodations for people with disabilities, which more games should strive for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also I think there's probably a lot of overlap between people who view "you cheated not only the game, but yourself" unironically with those who consider games that are thematically challenging as "not a real game," "walking sims," etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New idea for a Soulslike: Variable difficulty, but at the end of each boss fight you have to correctly answer several short essay questions identifying the central themes and relevance to the narrative or restart the whole chapter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

At last my determination to never skip a cutscene and exhaust every possible line of dialogue will be vindicated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ningyou posted:

unironically here for English Major Souls

Ouch. Turns out the spider boss transitioning into a bullet hell shooter during Phase 2 was an example of mise-en-abyme, not metonymy. Reload from last checkpoint? (Y/N)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

YOU MISREAD

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anyone tried The Suicide of Rachel Foster? Seems like one of those walky sim murder mystery games but it's the first time I've seen it come up in my recommended queue. It just came out a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I've been playing Diablo 3 on PS4 and having a blast - i started a mage on expert last night and the difficulty is perfect, not crazy hard but you have to stay alert all the time and packs of yellow bosses need very careful attention.

I can't believe they made you play through the whole game at faceroll difficulty at launch before changing difficulty, what a stupid decision.

The game is significantly easier even on Normal now than it was at launch. Normal was still braindead easy though, it's the difficulty for people who have literally never played a video game before.