Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I was doing so well getting through my backlog in the summer and fall. I was able to beat a handful of awesome games like Amid Evil, Hollow Knight, Yakuza 0, Pyre, Greedfall, Eastshade, Celeste, Startopia, RE2 remake, and Gris. The last game I started was Disco Elysium and then I got distracted by FFXIV, Destiny 2, and BR games. There's too much poo poo to play and I'm the goony pig in the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I followed Steam Labs's recommendation to play Dark Souls Remastered and boy I was not expecting to get sucked in like this. I always knew it was a Good Game, I just never got around to playing it. I just beat the two rear end in a top hat gargoyles on the roof and I have no idea what's gonna happen next besides dying a lot. I'm hesitant to ask for tips because playing this game totally blind has been awesome so far. But can someone explain what reverse hollowing and kindling does? Should I be doing that a lot? I also don't understand what covenants do but I have the way of the white one right now.

I didn't realize there was PvP so when I get a notification that I'm being invaded I'm like uhhh ok what. Then this red dude runs up to me and bows and I'm like oh a friend and I'm fumbling to open the gestures menu and as I begin to wave hello he starts shooting blue balls of magic at me and then instantly backstabs me and bows again as I fade into a ghostly mist. But then after the gargoyles there's this T-posing NPC offering "indictments" against players that invade and kill you? What the hell??

And the messages players leave around are great. I especially liked the one in a small cubby that says, "tight spot."

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I'm 4 hours into System Shock 2 and I'm bouncing off of it hard. I thought it'd be my jam for all the praise it gets but I'm only on Deck 3 and I'm like ehh. I just keep thinking about Prey and how I should finish Mooncrash.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

older games (<2005 or so) are very tough for me to put up with anymore but system shock 2 felt like it held up very well for its age. it definitely acts like the 1999 game that it is with some of the content in the back half of the game that goes on for too long, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it & it’s probably the oldest game I’ve actually managed to finish in the last decade or so. but IMO, if you’re not enjoying the first three levels then you should drop it since I think it overstays its welcome and if you’re not enjoying it now, that’s probably not about to change.

Thanks for this. I like classic games despite their clunkiness sometimes, and I'd read a lot about how much this game holds up. It feels pretty drat clunky in the beginning, but I like the UI and the sound effects. Today is a new day and I'm in the mood to give it one more go. I used an OS upgrade to boost my speed and zooming around has actually made it more fun so far.

CLARPUS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 24, 2020

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Those drat swamps go on FOREVER

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This looks pretty neat, has anybody tried it yet? It only has a few reviews on the steam page

ACG has a review up for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllfuMMbt-4

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thanks, game looks good. Might wait for a sale price but I'm gonna throw it on the wishlist.

I did the same, and I also noticed that they have a game done in a similar way released in 2015 called STASIS. But it's a horror sci fi aboard a space craft instead of post-apocalyptic Africa. So I would assume it's a bit smaller in scale than Beautiful Desolation.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/STASIS/

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Wasn't EA supposed to have put its Origin stuff on Steam by now or did I get jebaited by my dreams again?

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Things I expected from Outer Wilds: not what I experienced, whoa. I went to a cute little alien/spaceflight museum and saw a cool fish and I think I'm gonna like this game a lot!

It's a joy to experience everything and felt so fresh and original when I played it last year. Excellent soundtrack that adds much to the atmosphere of the game as well.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

You're lucky if you haven't experience a 144hz monitor because once you do you'll never settle for less. It was a similar feeling to when I upgraded to an SSD for the first time.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have a 144hz monitor and everything above 60fps looks the same to me. I've tried a couple different shooters at 144fps and 60fps and I can't tell the difference. I guess this makes me lucky?

You are! Assuming your refresh rate is set appropriately in your Windows display settings. Common thing people forget to do when they upgrade to 144hz and don't see a difference

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I thought Iconoclasts was cool for all the bosses and overall style, but I wish the music was better and there was way less dialog.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I got displaced by hurricane Ida and where I evacuated had power but no internet. Without twitch or being able to read forums I managed to focus and get through some games in the ole backlog. Fortunately I had a bunch of random single player games already installed that I could play offline.

Hypnospace Outlaw. So much character and charm wrapped around a clever puzzle game. He did that with Dropsy too but Hypnospace is way bigger. He nailed the 90s internet vibe. I loved the cursors, wallpapers, themes, etc. you can collect. The characters being presented and built over time on their websites really surprised me. I got stuck once but the game even has its own hint system. The Counselor Ronnie song will not get out of my head.

Broken Reality. I think I got this bundled with Hypnospace when I bought that. I thought this would be like a 90 minute vaporwave walking simulator which I'm not averse to, but there was actually a bit more to it. Quite a few maps to explore and collect stuff and some light puzzling. I like exploring weird worlds while listening to good tunes and this game is that. The game it reminded me the most of in recent memory that I enjoyed is Sludge Life, but I liked Broken Reality more.

Sayonara Wild Hearts. Short and fun rhythm and music game with a great pop soundtrack and outstanding visual presentation.

Ion Fury. I thought this was mediocre. I was most let down by the lack of enemy and weapon variety, but everything from the music to the way your character moves felt boring. Dusk and Amid Evil really set my expectations high for retro shooters.

Psychonauts. This fucker is 15 years old and has still got it. Usually when I play a game this old I have to be a bit more patient but this one is fun and ready to go right away. Only technical issue I ran into was having to turn the in game VSync on so that flagpoles would work correctly. I got really sucked into this and adored the Nickelodeon show vibes. Some of the platforming is tedious but the rest of the game is so charming and good I was able to suffer through the bad parts with a smile. I'm happy to read that the sequel lives up to the first game so I guess I will play that in another 15 years.

So I beat those then I started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, which holy poo poo is a lot meatier of a game than any of those above. It's really cool climbing on the head of a cyclops and whacking it with my sword while my AI buddies throw fireballs and arrows from the ground. I got back to my house in the city today with power and internet on so I'm ready to go all in on this game now that I can utilize the online part of the pawn system fully. Any early game tips for this one? I don't see it discussed in the thread much. I try to keep my inventory slim so that I can have fast run speed, but sometimes I wonder if I should be using and collecting more items than I am? This game won me over after a few times of exploring off the beaten path and being rewarded with a cool piece of gear.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

quote:

Also Rider's Republic. This game owns and is probably my favorite game with multiplayer in a long long time, probably since Deep Rock Galactic came out...

I was looking for a Rider's Republic thread so you're not the only one playing. I've been having a lot of fun with it too. The world is massive and pretty much anything you do to engage with the game is fun. You can explore the world and find vista spots a la GW2. You have access to bikes, snowboards, skis, winguits, jet packs and more. You can switch to whichever way you want to traverse the land/air instantly. This allows you to fly in a wingsuit over the cables of a ski lift, switch to snowboard and land a grind on the cables, flip off the cables, switch to bike and perform a mid flip superman before landing. There are a lot of races for each sport to go through and since the world is so huge there is a great variety of courses to race on. The multiplayer mass races and the tricks team deathmatch are a lot of fun. If anyone cares there is MMR to gain in the "pvp" modes (FFA race and TDM tricks). The game feels like a bit of a sleeper since it's so fun but it's $60 and on Epic sooo.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Good, just making sure the thread is talking about Chorvs

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I remember going all in on a psi build in Underrail and everything I looked at fell over in agony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

The aesthetic is just like Gorbino's Quest. This is the Gorbino's Quest Aesthetic of Life.