Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I want to give a shout out to goon extraordinaire, Kragger99, for giving me a key for Mafia 3 + DLC. I'll check that out after I beat Black Mesa, now that Xen has finally been released. I just finished Blast Pit and am digging the facelift on Half Life.

Any recommendations for a $5 or under game that is not a roguelike, maybe flew under the radar (AKA not a AAA game), and bonus points, is in the 10-20 hour range? Hard to find time for 80+ hour games these days with kids, job, house to fix up, etc. etc. I'm way more appreciative these days of games that tell their story in a concise manner and don't drag on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A few months ago, my buddy Kragger99 gifted me Mafia 3. After spending ~40 hours into it (and not beating it yet) I decided to post my recommendation to this thread. Yes, it's an open world game that's kinda repetitive. However, I found the setting interesting, characters + story well written, and graphics nice to look at, and that's worth the time to me. Definitely recommend it, with a caveat - it's repetitive (sorta). You take over districts, and to do that, you have to kill enforcers and take out rackets. The rackets and enforcers are different in each district, but the idea and approach are similar. However, one district might have you taking out gambling stuff, another might have you taking out garbage cleaners (hitmen), and another might be fencing stolen goods. Is it an A+ game? Nah, but it's solid, and if the first few hours after the intro (I didn't think the intro did a good job of grabbing me) get you hooked like they did me, you should get a lot of enjoyment out of this one.

Plus, stabbing dudes who call me the N word never gets old.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 12, 2020

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I mentioned it a week or so ago, but Kragger99 gifted me Mafia 3. I beat it tonight. I dug it! I spent 59 hours on it, which, is a rarity these days for me, however quarantine and all has me playing more games once the kids are in bed - normally I'm 20 hours or less for a game so I can beat one every month or two. Open world, but drat, a satisfying storyline, decent to good writing, good cut scenes, I'd definitely recommend it. However, don't be a fool like me and look for all the collectibles - not really worth it. The only stuff I'd consider worth it is the races, because the car you unlock for getting first in all of them is :kiss:. Overall, fun game, glad I played it, super glad Kragger99 gifted it to me. Thanks again dude!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Karma Tornado posted:

Did you watch the post credits scene, because it is very good

I did, and yes, it was very good.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at purchasing Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. I only expect to play the single player. What version should I get? I'm looking at the Steam page, and there are some things that look worthwhile from the Gold Edition, namely:

The Trove of Mystery Pack: Iron Wheel & Astrolabe Relic
Pirates Bounty Pack: German Rapiers & Compass Relic
Sacrificed Secrets Pack: Dark and dangerous treasure-hunting mission on Sacrifice Island; Unlock Captain Drake's Dual Swords and Pistols, Picture, Title, and Relics
Hidden Mystery Pack: Adventurous treasure-hunting mission on Mystery Island; Unlock Stede Bonnet's Ship, Costumes and other MP items
Black Island Pack: Dark and dangerous treasure-hunting mission on Black Island; Unlock the Deadly Black Ship and Captain Morgan's Silver Flintlock Pistols, Costume, Picture, and Title

For someone who has played this before, are these worthwhile for single player, or are they filler junk that isn't worth it?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Almost all of that is for the dead MP modes and the stuff that isn't is very rote walk around an island and press F on a thing missions or not particularly thrilling cosmetics. I'd just get the base game and potentially a bundle with Freedom Cry if it exists.

Funky Valentine posted:

This one unlocks the best outfit in the game for what it's worth.

Thanks for the feedback! I can't see the point in spending almost $3 on sale for an outfit for a single player game, so I went with the base game.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Work bought me a pair of the Arctis 7's a month or so ago. The headband part is a lot more comfortable than it would appear. Previous to that, I had a set of Jabra Evolve 75's that were also nice. The only complaint I have about the Arctis 7 is that retracting the microphone completely doesn't mute it - theres a button to mute instead. I'm in these for 8-9 hours a day, with breaks where I'll take them off for a few minutes to an hour or two at a time.

So far, my only complaint against the Arctis 7's is that they aren't Bluetooth, so if my dock disconnects, I lose audio.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I started playing The Saboteur after having it on Origin for years. Fun, but holy poo poo, so many map icons to clear out, and I'm only on the first Paris map. Besides watching my percentage cleared go up, does clearing the targets do anything besides make my time in each area easier (no snipers, tanks, etc)? Eventually add people to fight in the resistance with me, anything like that?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Humble bundles generally aren't that great now anyway. The first couple they did were insanely good value.

This goon speaks the truth. Other person who said Fanatical is decent is also correct...currently can get a bundle with Icewind Dale: EE cheaper than what it's been on sale for during summer/winter sales. I think long gone are the days of bitchin bundles for $5 or $10, unfortunately.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at getting a second controller for my computer so my son and I can play some games together. He's 5 so it's mostly Lego games right now. I currently have a Logitech F310 that's over 8 years old and still going strong. The recommended controller seems to be an Xbox controller, so I've looked at those but I can't figure out what the differences between these are.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...p?skuId=6430655

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-controller-for-xbox-series-xs-and-xbox-one-usb-ccable-latest-model-black/6436824.p?skuId=6436824

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...p?skuId=6436823

They appear to be the same controller, just with different accessories I guess? In specifications, the first link says that it has rechargeable batteries, but also uses AA batteries, so I'm not sure how that works. The second and third links don't mention rechargeable at all. The second link says it comes with the USB-C cable; I'm guessing that's the only difference between the first two links? I think I'll need to get the third one to use with my computer, since the others don't include the wireless dongle. Does that require line of sight, or is it OK if I've got it in the back of my case and am ~5 feet away from it? If I buy the wireless one, can I also connect with a USB-C controller to save batteries? Am I way overthinking this, or missing something obvious?

Edit - yeah, looks like USB-C connectivity will work fine.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 5, 2021

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Seconding just get the current Xbox Series controller, ideally with the dongle (they can work over generic Bluetooth but it's finnicky)

This is what I ended up doing. Currently using the wireless dongle and it's working well.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have two Xbox wireless controllers laying around and know if it's possible to connect both at the same time to your computer (Windows 10) and use them simultaneously? My 5 year old son and I are playing some LEGO games co-op. He's got the current Xbox wireless controller, I'm using a wired Logitech F310. There have been a few accidents where he's snagged the cord and it's fallen on the ground and I'm trying to avoid that, or the worse outcome, it tips my tower over/rips the USB cord out of the back/something else fucky happens. I was considering getting another Xbox controller to use with my computer but the quick Googling I've found online seems like it's not possible, but they're all old posts. I've got the Xbox PC dongle thingy, and can always get a Bluetooth adapter with the controller if needed. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and how it worked in co-op. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Tell me about Dragon's Dogma. Steam reviews seem pretty positive and some quick internet reading makes it seem enjoyable. It's been on my wishlist from the old days, when I had more time to play games. Is it still fun if I only have 5-10 hours to play games per week? Does it play like Monster Hunter, which I bounced off of? Is it comparable to any other games? Maybe I've played those and can see if I liked them or not.