Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh I'm not a big fan of batman combat either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also someone submitted the likeness of FF14's director as one of the preset faces in Nioh 2 and that's funny as heck to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I started playing Murder By Numbers and oh my god this game is charming as hell, all the music is like sweet Ace Attorney jams and apparently that wasn't an accident, they got the composer for the first game and Ghost Trick to score the music in this.

This is also the first time I've ever played a picross game

I was drunk as hell and started getting weepy at all the waves of nostalgia that were hitting me while I played

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ugh the music is so gooood godammit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4dsHqf0tVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGa75Gla8eI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cX58FWgJb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05g5JLK1-oY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You think you're confused?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There are enough exceptions that people will go ahead and do it to cargo cult them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

e: oh and just ignore the goons going 'lol gently caress off CHUD MRA INCEL CREEP', it's SA, they're contractually obligated to post a combination of these words every few hours.

Phlegmish posted:

insane straw man.

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

If it's such a dumb and simple question, then just answer it instead of immediately going into twitter aggro mob mode because you think you might have spotted a wrongthinker and they have to pay.

If you think poking fun at someone who doesn't realize they're making an rear end of themselves is the same as going aggro mob I don't know what to tell you bud, I'm assuming you're just projecting for some reason

All Stux posted at you on the topic before then was "lol"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to point out that Ambaire has not responded to anybody responding to them at all, neither to dunks nor to the sincere responses, so Phlegmish coming in and getting dogpiled for trying to defend their honor when they basically did a poo poo and run is pretty funny imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tomb Raider 2016 is in a weird place because literally all anybody ever talks about or seemingly remembers about it is the over-the-top death animations and how wildly uncomfortable they made them feel playing the game.

Hell that kind of ultrarealistic violence is wildly out-of-place in the franchise as a whole and certainly not touched upon by their main competition, the Uncharted series. (The Last of Us sure, but not Uncharted.) So I wonder who's bright idea was it to go in that direction.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh I genuinely forgot what year TR came out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The early concepts for TR2013 were as a survival horror game where Lara wandered around a remote island and rode a horse. Most of this was later scrapped but the brutal opening segment remained intact.

That's pretty unfortunate. This is probably a case of creators not wanting to kill their darlings, which in this case is the early work they'd already done.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It just feels like a "PC Gaming thread" because steam happens to the biggest storefront but yeah, I actually do lurk this place for chatter about sales and stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd heard only good things about Control

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What decisions are there to make in Talisman anyway, most of the time I do hear it described as Chutes and Ladders like above and that's basically just a dice rolling exercise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't care enough about anything EGS has exclusively on offer and every time that almost changes some red flag about the game in question goes up that changes my mind.

Epic might not be as evil as Apple but they're shadier than Valve both in terms of business practices as well as their treatment of employees. There might not be any ethical consumption under capitalism but there sure is a creeping apathy about getting over the mild hurdles in the way of installing yet another store front client when I already have steam and gog.

I mean I also have the blizzard launcher but I can't be arsed to look at it, that's how much apathy I can generate for a company I don't feel comfortable supporting. I also have origin but I spent more effort typing this out than figuring out how to reinstall it to play Titanfall 2 again, which is exactly no effort at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like on the one hand Epic treats dev studios well and the financial windfalls they provide can mean the difference between survival and closure for smaller studios, that's good.

They treat their actual employees much worse and development of content for Fortnite is such a notoriously hosed sweatshop that Netflix's Patriot Act called them out on it. They exist in a state of perpetual crunch with 70-100 hour work weeks being the norm. That's hosed up.

Not that either of these fairly distant concerns really affect me much as an end customer with little willpower or impulse control. A sufficiently strong temptation could drive me to get over my misgivings and just put in the minor amount of work required to sign up but eh, I haven't been struck by any such impulses yet and so I'm in a state of suspended "meh" about the idea of getting EGS.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

New thread title owns

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

let's check the workshop

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leal posted:

Its me, I'm the person would totally go a round with 1.0

N i g h t m a r e

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

I'm still trying and failing to download Vermintide 2 on Steam.

I have now tried disabling my antivirus before downloading, with no effect. I tried running a drive check/repair on the installation drive, no problems found. I successfully downloaded a different 20-gig game through Steam, and a 60-gig or whatever through Epic Games store.

I think Vermintide 2 is just cursed. It gets a Disk Write Error once I've downloaded around 1 gig, no matter what I do.

I think I will just give up on downloading this for now.

Considering how badly Fatshark ran their game into the ground I would interpret this as a sign and a warning

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everytime a player ends a run they add the text to the word count.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Is it the enemy where the game literally tells you "We can't stress enough how much this enemy will gently caress you up if you try to attack it"?

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordja posted:

Still a ways away, but Everspace 2 hits EA in December.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXWhvF-EEbs

I still remember the plot reveal at the end of the first game, the protag's sister finally explains what her deal is and what's going on with his constant cloning then dies flying very slowly into an obvious trap.

I couldn't help but chuckle, sure hope they weren't aiming for pathos with that one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Was the first one good?

It was pretty alright on sale but after I completed a single full run I didn't stick with it after that. Also I remember navigating those locked wrecks/stations (?) for rare salvage being pretty irritating.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I heard it used in reference to plain old crossdressing dudes who did an abnormally good job of it, no gender identity stuff involved, most commonly in the context of anime -- nothing more, nothing less -- for well over a decade before I ever heard it leveraged as a transphobic thing. I... have kind of a hard time believing it originated as a slur? But if so, I guess I'm just glad it's a term I rarely had cause to use.

The implication of the term is that they're deceiving straight men, which at its root is the same sentiment that fuels transphobic hate crimes and killings. That's why it's considered it a slur.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Love playing poker in the village of Vamp'Ire, it's always a no-stakes game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what's up with all these goons falling for scams

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

I have no dog in this particular (MHW) race, however Overwatch is likewise a game where nothing you buy via lootboxes affects the gameplay per-say, but discounting the social aspect of multiplayer games seems like you're throwing out a pretty big component of how people enjoy these games and the effect that has. People refer to Warframe as "Fashionframe", to give one example. You can put a lot of FOMO and pressure on people through that. OW is deffo a bad one because lootboxes suck lol, I'll grant that at least MHW is letting you target exactly what you want, but it still kinda sucks that it's not something you unlock while playing or as part of a chunky DLC purchase or whatever.

poo poo, reminder that kids playing Fornite with default skins are apt to get bullied IRL as a result. I'm sure this is a narrow example and isn't in fact a terrifying vista into what these games will be going forwards.

:hmmyes:

MHW is fine but games like Fortnite are absolutely predatory and their community only reinforces the predation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The vast, vast majority of MHW's cosmetic content is free in the game and it isn't constantly applying pressure on players to spend more money the way OW or Fortnite does, so you'll be hard-pressed to convince most Monster Hunter players to care about the cosmetic DLC, either for or against.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's the absurd amount of non-repeated, unique dialogue that got my attention.

But yeah if the core gameplay loop doesn't grab you then it's not the game for you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The writing in Fell Seal is a bit amateurish in authorial voice but it's not glaringly awful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wasn't really a fan of the writing in any of the Divinity games though Dragon Commander got points for letting you romance a skeleton

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He probably just hates 5e

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean so do I so you probably shouldn't let me review Baldur's Gate 3 I'll come up with all sorts of dumb bullshit about why I would rather be playing Fragged Empire

Which I guess means XCOM

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I heard in BG3 trading prices are based on the Charisma of the character you're using to initiate the trade, rather than your party just having the benefit of a high Charisma character passively. And that you need to manually put items into your party members' personal inventories for them to be able to use them.

Is this at all accurate? If so,

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Azran posted:

That was how Original Sin 2 worked, IIRC.

pentyne posted:

Sounds exactly like the D:OS system, also the whole way merchants work is mind numbingly stupid. For D:OS1 the strategy was to steal every piece of artwork you could and dump it on vendors with your "face" character to essentially print money for anything you need.

lol

Well at least Larian's fans know what they're getting into. Baldur's Gate fans maybe not so much.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

BG fans are familiar with AD&D2, they're immune to stupid rules and systems

:hmmyes: good point

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

That's actually how Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 worked also. Sell prices were not effected by charisma IIRC but buy prices were determined by the charisma of whatever party member talked to the merchant. So if your leader was a warrior you probably wanted the bard to do the buying. It also lead to the same dumb fiddly mechanics like casting "Friends" or putting on a charisma ring then immediately switching it out for something useful in combat right after shopping.

It's been multiple decades so I genuinely forgot all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It always threw me off how much a bunch of tech priests could just tank gauss flayer shots like it wasn't that big of a deal but the alternative would be a very different game to actually play so I just sort of accepted it.