Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ErrEff posted:

I played the original Kingdom, lasted about an hour before I gave up on it. I didn't care for how little control you have over things. Your AI minions are stupid and will eventually be your downfall because they can't follow orders or make correct decisions.

New Lands appears to be that same game with some additional visual flourish and maybe more features, I dunno. There's also Kingdom: Two Crowns which came out in 2018 - which also appears to be, again, largely the same game.
Those games needed too much planning and needed a layoff option, but there is an Early Access clone that has someone listening to those problems. The Wild Age looks like a ripoff 2.5D version of Kingdom and you have more control over your people. You can get people off the old border and use them elsewhere.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/732160/The_Wild_Age/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mordja posted:

2k and 1440 are the same thing, right?
I figured it was 2.5k.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

baka kaba posted:

like basically 2K and 4K are video production standards, they're a little wider than the closest resolutions we use in displays - 2K is 2048 x 1080, so that's almost what we call 1080p/i (officially it's called FHD), but it's not the same. UHD is what we call "4K", but it's different - you basically double the dimensions in each case, so real 4K is still that bit wider

except there's another UHD that's double that so they get called 4K UHD and 8K UHD lol

how much easier do you want it!

It doesn't even mention 1440p.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Omi no Kami posted:

Completely serious question: is Thief Simulator any good? It looks like euro-jank garbage that got churned out of the same factory that makes a million farm/lumberjack/pet store simulation games every year, but the name keeps coming up and apparently it's actually kinda-sorta fun?
It is the only simulator game I would push on anyone. It has NG+ and is still getting updates. Each house is like a puzzle to speedrun and you get more options as you buy more equipment.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 20, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure Sony is letting some exclusives go to PC because the PS4 is at end of life, and the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible. You give a market a taste of what’s out on it, and then maybe they’ll get the PS5 to see what they missed and maybe grab the PS5 exclusives.
How reliable is the backwards compatibility for the PS5 going to be? When the PS2 did it, it had trouble emulating half my games with its constant crashing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Plastik posted:

Hey, I just noticed I'm sitting on a bunch of packs of cards. Are trading cards still A Thing or did the bottom drop out on that market completely? I haven't PC gamed in about two years, in case you're wondering the magnitude of my confusion.
It is about boosters.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why is there a barcode on the back of her head?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

OhFunny posted:

Wow turning up the SSAA and Tessellation in Metro Last Light really brings GPUs to their knees.
Time to upgrade.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

anilEhilated posted:

How is that going to work on the PC? Drawing with a mouse is godawful.
Have you ever used mouse gestures?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Veotax posted:

All of Z, from Raditz to Buu. Though the adapted story is cut down in spots and then padded out with original content weirdly. I've heard the Android/Cell saga is missing some iconic moments, but I've only gotten as far as the intermission after Freeza.
I heard there were some locked away characters including Beerus, Whis, and Mira. Got to have that Super content.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Reminds me of a Parasite Eve 2 cutscene bombarding you with cartoon sound effects before the giant bastard boss battle.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It said there was an error. gently caress. Back to playing EDF5.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

K8.0 posted:

We've been approaching various limits of physics with the current technology. We know ways to push semiconductors further, but we easily hit the point where if it's possible for your workload to go wide, it's cheaper and more efficient. PC CPUs are sort of a sideshow, especially at this point the real driving forces behind semiconductor technology are mobile/embedded and servers/big compute, both of which care more about production cost and power efficiency than they do about scaling frequency on a single core.

e - it's also worth pointing out that performance at a given frequency has gone way up since Crysis's release. It's just a game that is very prone to bottlenecking in certain ways.
Is it true that increasing the clock speeds with current computers give diminishing returns? Was it decided that adding more cores would increase performance a whole lot more during the last decade?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ghostlight posted:

Watch Dogs 3 is going to be entirely knives.
It is going to be stealthy grandma's. Thousands of them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anyone who likes Risk can get the bare minimum game for free.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1128810/RISK_Global_Domination/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe Hidden Object Game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just mentioning a Dead Rising boss gives me minor PTSD.

WEEEELLLLLLLLLL HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHA IS HEAVY
For me, it would be the Dead Rising 2 chain vomit-inducing weapons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dead Rising 2's bosses are actually worse. Each is more rage-inducing than the last. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is a troll of some kind.
The sniper guys were also a pain in the rear end and I had a bug where they got the same buffs as I did. If I can run fast, the snipers were moving around like they were on Ultrajet and firing faster than my recovery animation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Steam have any rules about having multiple currencies on one account?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

None that I know of. You can pay in any currency you please, really. I know I've paid for stuff both in dollars and in euros by accident. As long as you pay, they don't really care too much.

You probably won't be able to pay with more than one currency at a time even if you've got multiple types of account balance on there, though, I don't think. If that is even possible.

Orv posted:

Not so much as any currency you receive will auto-convert to the home region of your account.
That was going to be my second question. Thanks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Crazy Machines 3L46XR-9XF0P-JDA54
I got the wrong one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
RF:G was great a decade ago, but it is more lifeless than the actual planet it is set on. I can only play in bursts before I remember what you can do in Saints Row. I want another Ultimate Destruction Hulk.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zetsubou-san posted:

Triple Town - $9.99 - place objects on a limited playfield for as long as you can. if 3 or more of the same object are adjoining, they merge into a single higher tier object
I am giving the game a negative because the diva dev had a hissy fit and decided the game didn't sell enough on Steam and abandoned it. If you want the full game, you would need the mobile version with microtransactions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Steam Achievement Manager is still the ol' reliable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Eat at Joe's

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your wallet would take a hit since DDR4 RAM is the current hotness and you may as well replace everything for that upgrade. Your experience would end up being greatly improved with a new computer.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 23, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cowcaster posted:

it does explain why i keep getting pinkeye though
brownnose

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

Headcrabs showed up so I grabbed a bucket and proceeded to hold it up and shoot from behind it and blocked the headcrabs whenever they made an attempt for my head. Alyx owns.
Wear it as a hat and not care about headcrabs.

https://imgur.com/a/Qlh4pz8

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 24, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ragequit posted:

Good to know. I will be getting a Ryzen 5 3600X in the future, so I'll definitely hold off for now if it's CPU intensive.
You can always overclock your CPU a few notches to get more out of your CPU before it is replaced. Are you going to replace it this year?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Silver Snail posted:

Very disappointed you weren't asking about a game involving apes with swords.
Planet of the Apes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How dare you install mods in MY CAREFULLY CRAFTED GAME?! - Rockstar devs
When GTAO became a big thing thanks to microtransactions, they didn't even bother with the SP ever since.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good post. Thank you.

It makes me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos
I don't know how he came up with "outdated design" when it is more inflexible and very by the numbers.

He is absolutely correct about the absurd scripting abuses in Rockstar game design and how it diverged from its early PS2 sandboxes. That you used to be allowed to prepare for missions ahead of time using the current environment around you and sometimes large swaths of the city, gets thrown out in exchange for teleporting you to some area (map emptied of potential rear end in a top hat physics) and giving you exactly what you are allowed to use in fixed shooting galleries and special setpieces to spice things up.
It shouldn't be so hostile to thinking outside the box for its genre. Sandboxes are for messing around and by extension, so should the design of missions. It wouldn't be such a big problem if you applied this inflexible system to something like platformers or corridor shooters. Better devs provide flexible design in their games and Rockstar is easily showing its age.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sebmojo posted:

just played the resident evil 3 demo and it's really good but quite scary, i got to the bit with the tentacle guy and got murdered
I don't know how effective the dodge can get, but I get knocked into a wall at some point and he three hit me in a combo that makes it impossible to move.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How many Raiden's do they have?

Can you guys send the FF7R spoilers to the spoiler thread? I am trying so hard not to accidentally mouse over the black bars.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sivek posted:

I heard about the rather disappointing reviews for RE3 and from playing the first 10 minutes or so, it's everything I hate about aaa games. Super scripted, hobbling around without real control of the character and an inability to do anything, a bunch of action cutscenes you just watch, tons of screen-shaking, ~cinematic walk and talk~. It's unreal how bad it is unless you like that sort of thing.

What happened Capcom? I hope it gets better.
Watching a longplay of it and it basically is Capcom knowing they can get away with having a shortened RE game with corners cut and still charge full price for it. Backtracking: The Survival Horror Game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You have dodge moves, but you gave up the knife counter attack.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hwurmp posted:

Solesborne
Stepladder

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Party Boat posted:

Celeste cheats like hell in your favour as well. Apparently the industry term for a jump still registering a couple of pixels off the edge is "coyote time".

E: Just found the tweet thread I was thinking of

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1238338574220546049?s=19
You could jump after spinning off an edge in Donkey Kong Country.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Trickyblackjack posted:

Dear Capcom:

The game over sequence in RE2make where Claire's throat get ripped out by a zom is about 5 seconds too long. Next time it happens hopefully hammering the buttons will let me skip that sadistic poo poo
You Died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

vaginite posted:

Yeah thinking that blowing away a whole town in Fallout 2 is a mistake I think we all made once. Let's wait around 10 minutes for each brahmin to move.
Are you using the Sfall mod?