Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hi chat thread i just wanted to pop in and see what's good since I saw the RPG Philosophy thread and went "neat" and was reminded TG is a pretty okay place.

How has the preliminary read on Flying Circus been? I picked it up and started flipping through it but it's unlikely I'll get the chance to play any time soon. Good? Bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Zounds, there WAS a thread! I coulda sworn I looked and didn't find one. I like Crunchy, and also Very Good, so that's quite favorable. I'll check it out.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hello, is anybody interested in doing a design jam of some kind? I recently got back from staring at dice while in a cabin alone for a week and I'm brimming with ideas, but thought it might be fun to see if people might be into such a thing.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm in no mental place to really jump in and work on one heavily but it's a good idea and I'd try to chip in if anything comes up.

I was thinking of something pretty simple. I had posted a few constraints I set for myself while in the dice cabin and it worked out pretty well, so something like "one page, one system, one day" would be good. I am doing a throwback to a video I came across awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-iST0a69cI

I think it'd be neat to design with some very distinct constraints and see what people come up with. I dunno how to run contests or what not but maybe some kind of prize support thing might be neat.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The way I'd see it is maybe a week to get people to sign up, and then they have a month or what not to meet the very basic design constraints, but I'll throw them in here to see if holes can be poked through it:

- fully formed game system (doesn't have to fit into an existing game but could be just a sub-system like a mini-game). a game system is fully formed if it has rules for one or more players, and at least one positive completion state (winning / not losing)?

- single piece of A4 or US Letter paper
- game can be an RPG or board game, as long as it meets the criteria above
- all core gameplay mechanics must fit on the paper - no "see my other paper or long form design notes for how this game is supposed to work"
- changing paper by cutting/folding / printing on paper OK
- one day to design and complete, with a grace period of 5 minutes (to wrap up any last existing thoughts). does not need to be continuous, but cannot exceed the time limit in the spirit of the design challenge. one day = 24 hours
- other props may be used like dice, timer, poker chips, etc. but the actual game instructions must be on the paper in legible format
- any medium is otherwise OK (pencil and paper, cut and pasted newspaper things, and so on are all fine)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Whybird posted:

I'd suggest also adding a required theme: creativity is born from constraints, not the lack of them. I doubt the goon who came up with Jurassic Central Park would have done so if they hadn't been told "make an RPG where task resolution is based on something other than rolling dice".

IronicDongz posted:

I am interested in designing game systems and have done so multiple times with friends, but am personally pretty sick of heavily streamlined systems such as 1 page rulesets.

whydirt posted:

How about instead of designing a whole game, it's designing a rules subsystem or module intended to be plugged into a bigger RPG?

I think all of these are fair points, particularly for design veterans! I'd be super interested to hear what ideas you might have in specific to brainstorm an interesting theme that can produce unexpected results. I think the main thing for "a subsystem for a bigger RPG".

Maybe this would be best done as "create a RPG system agnostic component that can fit into any system using one sheet of paper as your design constraint". Probably break it down into:

- aesthetic/narrative constraints: "your design must feature a dinosaur"
- practical/mechanical constraints: "your design must use a single piece of paper as a minimum, plus any extra props but can be system neutral, or for D&D 5e, GURPS, etc."

I picture something that is easy for people to get into and dedicate a slice of time to do. 24 hours might even be too much, and a whole rules system at that, maybe just a core idea for something in 4 hours instead might be good. Some kind of short time constraint that isn't too short would be ideal.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Dangerous Minority posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with making their own polyhedral dice? My wife's been thinking of giving it a shot but neither of us have any idea of where to start outside of the usual Google search

Rybonator on youtube has entire videos dedicated on resin mixing and pouring. Check that out for an idea of what to conjure up. Resin will need a silicone mold usually and you will need something to pressurize to help drove out bubbles from the mold.

Also, check out the DIY boards here and on Reddit. DnDIY is good to leverage as a resource. Surprisingly, so is Facebook on various crafting groups too.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Now that Sword World 2.0 has been translated in full I am eyeballing running it but at the same time I have no time slots to run it in, so I have been contemplating a play by post for people who would be into that, but I probably do not have great habits formed up around posting. Maybe a Discord thing might work for it, but I'm not sure. More rumination on this required.

Anybody else planning to give that system a go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Traditional Games Chat Thread 2021: So anyway, I started Eldritch Blastin'