Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

Hello, is anybody interested in doing a design jam of some kind? I recently got back from staring at dice while in a cabin alone for a week and I'm brimming with ideas, but thought it might be fun to see if people might be into such a thing.

I'm in no mental place to really jump in and work on one heavily but it's a good idea and I'd try to chip in if anything comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm in no mental place to really jump in and work on one heavily but it's a good idea and I'd try to chip in if anything comes up.

I was thinking of something pretty simple. I had posted a few constraints I set for myself while in the dice cabin and it worked out pretty well, so something like "one page, one system, one day" would be good. I am doing a throwback to a video I came across awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-iST0a69cI

I think it'd be neat to design with some very distinct constraints and see what people come up with. I dunno how to run contests or what not but maybe some kind of prize support thing might be neat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's been like design threads and NaNoWriMo style things in the past and we should keep having them. A few even resulted in published games! A typical format has been a month-long thing with a vote at the end, but it doesn't have to be like that.

If it becomes a Goon Project more than just one person's tilt at a windmill I'd be happy to temporarily sticky such a thread for more visibility. I think that means at least two active participants.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I would happily attempt a one page/system/day game, but I think it'd be better with a theme or even just some kind of vague idea or goal or something.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The way I'd see it is maybe a week to get people to sign up, and then they have a month or what not to meet the very basic design constraints, but I'll throw them in here to see if holes can be poked through it:

- fully formed game system (doesn't have to fit into an existing game but could be just a sub-system like a mini-game). a game system is fully formed if it has rules for one or more players, and at least one positive completion state (winning / not losing)?

- single piece of A4 or US Letter paper
- game can be an RPG or board game, as long as it meets the criteria above
- all core gameplay mechanics must fit on the paper - no "see my other paper or long form design notes for how this game is supposed to work"
- changing paper by cutting/folding / printing on paper OK
- one day to design and complete, with a grace period of 5 minutes (to wrap up any last existing thoughts). does not need to be continuous, but cannot exceed the time limit in the spirit of the design challenge. one day = 24 hours
- other props may be used like dice, timer, poker chips, etc. but the actual game instructions must be on the paper in legible format
- any medium is otherwise OK (pencil and paper, cut and pasted newspaper things, and so on are all fine)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'd suggest also adding a required theme: creativity is born from constraints, not the lack of them. I doubt the goon who came up with Jurassic Central Park would have done so if they hadn't been told "make an RPG where task resolution is based on something other than rolling dice".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I am interested in designing game systems and have done so multiple times with friends, but am personally pretty sick of heavily streamlined systems such as 1 page rulesets.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How about instead of designing a whole game, it's designing a rules subsystem or module intended to be plugged into a bigger RPG?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I am interested in designing game systems and have done so multiple times with friends, but am personally pretty sick of heavily streamlined systems such as 1 page rulesets.

What would you like to see instead? I think Aldantefax is looking for ideas.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Whybird posted:

I'd suggest also adding a required theme: creativity is born from constraints, not the lack of them. I doubt the goon who came up with Jurassic Central Park would have done so if they hadn't been told "make an RPG where task resolution is based on something other than rolling dice".

IronicDongz posted:

whydirt posted:

How about instead of designing a whole game, it's designing a rules subsystem or module intended to be plugged into a bigger RPG?

I think all of these are fair points, particularly for design veterans! I'd be super interested to hear what ideas you might have in specific to brainstorm an interesting theme that can produce unexpected results. I think the main thing for "a subsystem for a bigger RPG".

Maybe this would be best done as "create a RPG system agnostic component that can fit into any system using one sheet of paper as your design constraint". Probably break it down into:

- aesthetic/narrative constraints: "your design must feature a dinosaur"
- practical/mechanical constraints: "your design must use a single piece of paper as a minimum, plus any extra props but can be system neutral, or for D&D 5e, GURPS, etc."

I picture something that is easy for people to get into and dedicate a slice of time to do. 24 hours might even be too much, and a whole rules system at that, maybe just a core idea for something in 4 hours instead might be good. Some kind of short time constraint that isn't too short would be ideal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You can do this more than once, with different constraints each time.

Just saying.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If I have time to work on writing this Xmas break (and I hope I do), I wouldn't want to do a whole game even a short one, but I might do a subsystem. If there's a subsystem game jam, count me in. I'll find a way to use it in Strike or something else I'm working on.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mad-libbing themes :

-Clockwork Pirates

-LGBTQ+ Positive Draculas

-Literally just Downton Abbey

-People who think they're dinosaurs but they're really just people and the HP equivalent is not realizing you aren't a dinosaur

-Mecha-plumbers

-Christmas themed horror about escaping Santa (don't be lazy and use the Krampus)

-"Wait why am I in Baltimore?"

Those are my random ideas off the dome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mad-libbing themes :

-Clockwork Pirates

-LGBTQ+ Positive Draculas

-Literally just Downton Abbey

-People who think they're dinosaurs but they're really just people and the HP equivalent is not realizing you aren't a dinosaur

-Mecha-plumbers

-Christmas themed horror about escaping Santa (don't be lazy and use the Krampus)

-"Wait why am I in Baltimore?"

Those are my random ideas off the dome.

Please write this as a one page rpg

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm half assed coming up with a resolution mechanic based around pretending to be a dinosaur. I also might have a nephew. I'm sure these aren't connected.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I thought we were supposed to stop trying to rewrite Beast: The Primordial But Good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What's the normal way to list freelance writing or editing jobs on LinkedIn? It doesn't really seem to fit well under Experience or Projects without finessing the blank spaces a little.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

wasn't Turbo Dracula "a thing" many many years ago or did i just construct a False Memory of probably-forced-jokes from half a decade (or more??) ago. either way enjoy a turbo dracula i guess

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Len posted:

Please write this as a one page rpg

I've played something that was like the reverse version of that idea before. You played as a bunch of dinosaurs living among human society using terrible disguises and the game was all about trying to perform mundane activities while trying to pass yourselves off as human. I forget what it was called...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

wasn't Turbo Dracula "a thing" many many years ago or did i just construct a False Memory of probably-forced-jokes from half a decade (or more??) ago. either way enjoy a turbo dracula i guess

Yes, I believe former poster redmage was obsessed with the joke, which started as warforged vampire from 4e and I believe superspeed/vampire gamma world ideas.
Then he eventually pitched it as an alternative villain in a peregrine press game, before a fiasco with a Kickstarter.
Like we all had a laugh, the same way folks did about electric/rat swarm being a swarm of pikachus, but he just kept on the joke and wanted it in everything

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

thaaaat's who it was. mystery solved, everyone can go home now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Coolness Averted posted:

Yes, I believe former poster redmage was obsessed with the joke, which started as warforged vampire from 4e and I believe superspeed/vampire gamma world ideas.
Then he eventually pitched it as an alternative villain in a peregrine press game, before a fiasco with a Kickstarter.
Like we all had a laugh, the same way folks did about electric/rat swarm being a swarm of pikachus, but he just kept on the joke and wanted it in everything

If I remember correctly one can be a triple or even quadruple vampire in 4e

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

drrockso20 posted:

If I remember correctly one can be a triple or even quadruple vampire in 4e

Yeah with backgrounds, heritage feats and so on. I really remembered the turbo dracula when talking about the speedster/vampire thing from gamma world, but that's because that's when I started reading TG. Just before the offline character builder for 4th went dark after a few months of WotC teasing Gamma World support in it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah with backgrounds, heritage feats and so on. I really remembered the turbo dracula when talking about the speedster/vampire thing from gamma world, but that's because that's when I started reading TG. Just before the offline character builder for 4th went dark after a few months of WotC teasing Gamma World support in it.

Thankfully since Gamma World 7e is a lot less complicated than D&D 4e so it not having a character maker is not as crippling(and one of the many reasons why a fantasy reskin of GW would be nice)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

It was something to the tune of vampire as class, revenant as race, something like dhampir for your race before that and then get the lich lord epic destiny. I know I'm missing steps but that's some of it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That was just Gamma World? Sheesh. You'd think it was from something more creative than a game where turbo dracula was just straight up a thing you could roll.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It was something to the tune of vampire as class, revenant as race, something like dhampir for your race before that and then get the lich lord epic destiny. I know I'm missing steps but that's some of it.

Vampiric Bloodline or something was the heritage feat you could take to cram in another vampire. You could also do a theme build from Dark Sun to get Werewolf in there and be a Werewolf Vampire Vampire Vampire Vampire Lich.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah it was some nonsense like that. (Which was hilarious and cool.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

drrockso20 posted:

Thankfully since Gamma World 7e is a lot less complicated than D&D 4e so it not having a character maker is not as crippling(and one of the many reasons why a fantasy reskin of GW would be nice)

Yeah, but I think part of the perks was going to be the mutations and tech were gonna be in the builder DB. Remember, WotC had the brilliant idea of making those CCGs, so while you got some with the core game you didn't get them all, and one of the suggestions was even having players build their own mutation decks.
Which of course was cool, but really needed tp be a thing with a purchasable deck and card set, not random boosterpacks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but I think part of the perks was going to be the mutations and tech were gonna be in the builder DB. Remember, WotC had the brilliant idea of making those CCGs, so while you got some with the core game you didn't get them all, and one of the suggestions was even having players build their own mutation decks.
Which of course was cool, but really needed tp be a thing with a purchasable deck and card set, not random boosterpacks.

Thankfully once WOTC decided to make their stuff available digitally again it didn't take too long for them to offer the extra cards for Gamma World as a Print On Demand thing for a fairly reasonable price, in fact I really need to pick up a copy for myself someday

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So just for discussion's sake - what are people's thoughts about single player RPGs? I heard some rather strong negative feelings about the whole concept recently and it kind of struck me as odd. I've done a few and I'd mostly consider them elaborate writing prompts, which I think is valuable enough, plus once you pass a certain degree of elaboration on a writing prompt I think "single player RPG" works as well as any other term, but I was wondering what people here who tend to have more RPG thoughts and such think about it.

aldantefax posted:

I think all of these are fair points, particularly for design veterans! I'd be super interested to hear what ideas you might have in specific to brainstorm an interesting theme that can produce unexpected results. I think the main thing for "a subsystem for a bigger RPG".

Maybe this would be best done as "create a RPG system agnostic component that can fit into any system using one sheet of paper as your design constraint". Probably break it down into:

- aesthetic/narrative constraints: "your design must feature a dinosaur"
- practical/mechanical constraints: "your design must use a single piece of paper as a minimum, plus any extra props but can be system neutral, or for D&D 5e, GURPS, etc."

I picture something that is easy for people to get into and dedicate a slice of time to do. 24 hours might even be too much, and a whole rules system at that, maybe just a core idea for something in 4 hours instead might be good. Some kind of short time constraint that isn't too short would be ideal.

I mean I'd be interested in even the simple "one day one page" constraint, I'd mostly be interesting in flexing that part of my brain more than anything else. The journey more than the destination.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I want to like solo RPGs. I really do. I have never found one that I've even slightly liked. I don't think it's a medium that works, there's no replacing the social element & the uncertainty/variety added by multiple players.

Ironsworn is one of the very few that's not "writing exercise in the guise of a game", and it's still half-baked imo. Hoping the SF version will be better, at the very least I'll have more material to draw on for it.

That's about the extent of my thoughts.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I like the writing prompt ones tbh.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really like adventure books, even if they're kind of dumb sometimes.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The writing prompt ones are good at what they do, it's just not what I'm after. There probably won't be any of what I'm after until AI Dungeon-style software gets slimmed down enough for reasonable consumer hosting and use (and gets MUCH smarter), and someone integrates it with an RPG system. At that point it's a video game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
As a kid I really liked the Lone Wolf choose your own adventure books with an RPG system attached, and they caught on with goons in the past few years for LPs too.
Do those count at all as single player RPGs?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Coolness Averted posted:

As a kid I really liked the Lone Wolf choose your own adventure books with an RPG system attached, and they caught on with goons in the past few years for LPs too.
Do those count at all as single player RPGs?

I don't see why not!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The ones that are, as you say, basically writing prompts are fine, but there's so much untapped potential in the solo RPG space. Ironsworn is legitimately an incredible game, not least because it works equally well solo or co-op, and has enough mechanical heft to it for your choices to matter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'd probably play a single-player RPG that was, like, 90% detailed algorithmic instructions on how to play the monster team

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really dig Ironsworn (and Starforged, the sci-fi playtest that Shawn is running), but I usually just think of solo RPG's as kindof a daydream aid. They help to give some sense of structure to a wandering internal narrative that is pretty fun.

A very different experience from a normal tabletop RPG though, and one shouldn't go into it expecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'd probably play a single-player RPG that was, like, 90% detailed algorithmic instructions on how to play the monster team

So you want to play solo Gloomhaven?