Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The thing that makes me the most angry is that in three years the Murdoch press will spin it so scomo was the hero in all this. This loving travesty is going to win the next election for the liberals. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

I'd donate to the Salvation Army who will help those who've lost so much.

The salvos have a policy of not assisting people who they suspect of being gay. Please don't donate to the salvos.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Controlled burns are normally conducted in the way you mention. However the Morrison government cut funding and prevented those burns from being performed.

The videos you've seen are fire fighters attempting to evacuate. They stayed trying to defend people and property for as long as possible.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Roads are down between the West and the Eastern states now. Predicted shortages of various drugs and food on both sides.

loving hell.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The visibility of this thread is actually important. How about a move back to GBS?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Uhh, taxable donations are still a net loss to the donor you moron.

Depends on the cost/value. If I generally provide a service for $120 an hour, but it costs me $30 an hour, I can use the $120 figure as a deduction. As long as my effective tax rate is high enough then that deduction could be worth more than actually selling the labour.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Eh it works better with non-tangable goods rather than labour. I'm not good at explaining things right now.

You can look into how art is abused to provide effective income from tax deductions as a better example.

Fires loving suck.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Lube Enthusiast posted:

My dad’s doing a Canberra to Perth drive soon. tia lube enthusiast

No he isn't. There is currently no (sane) road connection between East and West.

I think the only open roads at the moment involve going via NT and take ~2 weeks.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm not sure how long it's been around but bushfire.io has the nicest maps I've seen so far.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
People in Canberra suburb of Gordon are expected to be evacuated tonight. This is not a regional area. People are getting ready for the fire to hit the suburbs, this is very hosed.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Ugh. The one thing I didn't realise is how boring fires are.

We're packed and waiting for the status to change or not change.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
In WA at least ducted air-conditioning (central AC) is very common in modern houses. Split systems are common in older houses.

That said we have typically had much harsher summers than a lot of other places in Australia.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The fire is back! Hooray :(

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Launchpad McQuack posted:

All while 2 million people are in lockdown over a single case of covid.

Eh, I'd rather that one then end up with a situation like NSW/Victoria had. Five days isn't that bad.

The fire I'd rather not have though.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

froglet posted:

My partner grew up in Gidge, and his parents have lost their home.

That's terrible :( Whats the situation with the bakery?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Launchpad McQuack posted:

We also have people to scared to evacuate be they are worried about breaking quarantine. Fun times.
I am with St John based in Merredin, we are send g crews down to the front.

I hope it stays out of Gnangara pines, north half of the city is hosed if it does. The fire fighters are legit worried about it getting into Waneroo and Joondalup and not stopping till it hits the ocean.

Scary poo poo.

God loving damnit. I thought it would be pretty clear that an evac order trumps stay inside unless you want to go to the shops. Really awful to hear that :(

As for how hosed we are, yes we are very hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

froglet posted:

The bakery is still open! Everyone's wearing a mask, sandwiches are being made, and the first batch of bread came out of the oven 2 hours ago.

Instagram for the curious.

I just took a look at that Instagram. It shows staff wearing masks under the nose and doing the chin diaper thing :(

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 3, 2021