Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
hello happy new year its january which means its time to release new electronics as soon as the return window on the stuff you bought for christmas expires

ces is one of the like 3 to 5 relevant tech fairs in the world. the taiwan computex one is the best because taiwan is kicking everyones rear end lately. ces is mostly for tvs and vapourware really. for things people dont care much about.

the keynotes that paid ces to be featured on their website are
- samsung (Jan 6 6:30 PM)
- daimler aka mercedes (Jan 6 8:30 PM): Ola Källenius will present a groundbreaking concept car inspired by one of the most innovative entertainment brands, envisioning a completely new form of interaction between humans, technology and nature. wowza!!! i dont think i will be able to sleep im so excited for this
- delta (Jan 7 8:30 AM). cool.
- ivanka trump lol (Jan 7 2:00 PM)
- quibi (Jan 8 9:30 AM). its like apple tv+ but the episodes are 3 mins long or something
- us department of transportation (Jan 8 11:30 AM). i guess theyre trying to recruit whoever actually attends ces
- nbcuniversal (Jan 8 4:00 PM). theyre making a streaming service called peacock. great name

some actual tech keynotes from techradar on jan 6

LG Electronics 8:00 AM
Bosch 9:00 AM
Panasonic 10:00 AM
Hisense 11:00 AM
Qualcomm 11:00 AM
TCL 12:00 PM
AMD 2:00 PM
Intel 4:00 PM
Sony 5:00 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A doorbell that uses facial recognition technology to email you a personality profile of your visitors. It also uses micro sensors to detect the blood pressure of anyone pressing it and calls the police if they're nervous (due to planning a crime).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rMy1iA268

i look forward to all of the non gimmick tech debuting this year that will totally catch on, like all of the good ideas from previous years. ideas such as:
  • 3d tv
  • curved tvs
  • foldable phones
  • appliances that are 'smart' because they put screens in them and tripled the price

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
best of ces 2019 was the connected piece of wood, wonder if they'll top this this year

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I love consumer electronics and continuous forever growth in this industry

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm starting to look for a new tv, so hopefully this year there will be some models with variable refresh rate that aren't 55+ inches that will actually fit on my shelf

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lets get the price of oled DOWN DOWN DOWN

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CES has been really boring the past few years because no one goes deep into the show to find the truly stupid and hosed up garbage. i want to see the borderline-scam, flash in the pan companies with terrible ideas. i want to see the mystery no-name chinese companies get kicked out for patent infringement or whatever. who cares about the nine million inch 32k TV that will never actually be sold, show me the trash!!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

CES has been really boring the past few years because no one goes deep into the show to find the truly stupid and hosed up garbage. i want to see the borderline-scam, flash in the pan companies with terrible ideas. i want to see the mystery no-name chinese companies get kicked out for patent infringement or whatever. who cares about the nine million inch 32k TV that will never actually be sold, show me the trash!!

turn off your monitor

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

poty posted:

- delta (Jan 7 8:30 AM). cool.

what exactly is an airline going to show off at ces?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The_Franz posted:

what exactly is an airline going to show off at ces?

even smaller seats

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
delta's profile photo has horror movie lighting from below w/ spooky shadow eyebrows so i think they're going to announce something to do with blood

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
bring back Zoll

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
img-5.1in-tablet.png

is this the ipad killer ?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

delta's profile photo has horror movie lighting from below w/ spooky shadow eyebrows so i think they're going to announce something to do with blood

why is this clown at CES, his company's worth less than tesla or uber

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unngggggg. new xps 13 is switching to 16:10. I hope they do this for the 15 too

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

SO DEMANDING posted:

CES has been really boring the past few years because no one goes deep into the show to find the truly stupid and hosed up garbage.

follow edzitron, he usually walks around the floor at some point and posts stupid poo poo.

also pumped for the delta ‘note gently caress yeah!!!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

unngggggg. new xps 13 is switching to 16:10. I hope they do this for the 15 too

are they going to fix the spacebar and screen hinge too? no expectation they’ll use a good trackpad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I haven't had problems on my 15. don't have 13 tho.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho the trackpad on the 13 is way too small.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

I've got your garbage right here

quote:

Kohler puts an Alexa-enabled smart speaker in a showerhead

You can buy the simple Bluetooth speaker version for $99 or a version with Alexa for $159. (Buying the showerhead costs an additional $70.) The Bluetooth version offers six to seven hours of playback on a single charge, while the Alexa version works for “up to 5 hours.” Oh, and — very important — they’re all waterproof, with an IPX67 rating. Kohler says the whole system will be available to buy sometime later in 2020.

In addition to the Moxie Showerhead, Kohler also announced in a bundle of CES 2020 news a new Veder mirror with built-in Alexa, a new PureWarmth heated toilet seat (with its own app), and an updated version of its Numi “intelligent toilet,” which it unveiled last year. It also has Alexa, in case you were wondering.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Vintersorg posted:

lets get the price of oled DOWN DOWN DOWN

yeah wtf is going on with tvs lately, i haven't bought a tv since before 4k was even a thing, does this explain why the entrance display at my local costco has a huge, really nice looking tv for $1000 next to another huge, slightly nicer looking tv for $5000

like ok yes it does look nicer. i'm not exactly sure how or why, but subjectively the picture is better. it's not FIVE TIMES the price better though, for that kind of price difference they better have invented some new colors, or made it never experience glare even in direct sunlight

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

ooh yeah baby that's the stuff!

soon i'll have a minimum of 5 alexa enabled devices in every room of my house!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

wonder what euronymous’s girlfriend thinks about that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

I haven't had problems on my 15. don't have 13 tho.

I’ve got a 15 for work and it’s dog poo poo, I want too throw it in the bay

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’ve got a 15 for work and it’s dog poo poo, I want too throw it in the bay

it's too bad that my abhorrence for pollution– especially e-waste– outweighs my curiosity about how many skips you could get

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
eight kays

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

psiox posted:

it's too bad that my abhorrence for pollution– especially e-waste– outweighs my curiosity about how many skips you could get

What if he tied it to a car battery first, though?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i just noticed mandy moore will be at the nbc keynote. shes dreamy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

there has been nothing new or interesting at these fairs in like 5 year

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

there has been nothing new or interesting at these fairs in like 5 year

yospos bitch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this isn’t the right attitude now is it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

i just noticed mandy moore will be at the nbc keynote. shes dreamy

she is

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah wtf is going on with tvs lately, i haven't bought a tv since before 4k was even a thing, does this explain why the entrance display at my local costco has a huge, really nice looking tv for $1000 next to another huge, slightly nicer looking tv for $5000

like ok yes it does look nicer. i'm not exactly sure how or why, but subjectively the picture is better. it's not FIVE TIMES the price better though, for that kind of price difference they better have invented some new colors, or made it never experience glare even in direct sunlight

colours don’t exist outside of our consciousness. the actual world out there “looks”, as far as most sensors or any kind of sensing device goes, just as shapes that may or may not reflect light.

it’s truly hosed up to think what the hell is consciousness that we could experience colour as colour. before consciousness existed, different hues couldn’t have existed. they’re phenomenon that exist only within experience

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

apple is gonna try and present egpu as making mac good for gaming and try really hard to ignore

that all the gpus on offer are relatively low end
macos has no good game support and apple deprecating a whole bunch of things while not supporting vulcan isn't very nice
no nvidia support

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

she is

colours don’t exist outside of our consciousness. the actual world out there “looks”, as far as most sensors or any kind of sensing device goes, just as shapes that may or may not reflect light.

it’s truly hosed up to think what the hell is consciousness that we could experience colour as colour. before consciousness existed, different hues couldn’t have existed. they’re phenomenon that exist only within experience

You can program a computer to tell apart colors though so they exist outside our minds.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

You can program a computer to tell apart colors though so they exist outside our minds.

otoh i had my brain broken a bit when i learned this year (how did i not know, or at least notice the impossible 2d'ness of color charts?) that purple does not have a wavelength but is our brains made-up representation of "a color midway between red and blue which is not green", and while a computer can also do that for us it drives home how fake our idea of colors are.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

no, electromagnetic sensors (like in a digital camera), can be tuned or filtered to differentiate wavelengths.

which is a different concept to us having an experience of different colours

its genius in a way, because its a way for us to experience and differentiate different combinations of wavelengths without having to see mutliple sets of data to do so

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh i had my brain broken a bit when i learned this year (how did i not know, or at least notice the impossible 2d'ness of color charts?) that purple does not have a wavelength but is our brains made-up representation of "a color midway between red and blue which is not green", and while a computer can also do that for us it drives home how fake our idea of colors are.

it's not that it's fake.. they're entirely real, just fundamentally subjective

everything you see and experience right now, isn't actually the real world, but your minds internal representation of the real world. which is to say, everything you see (or feels like you are seeing) is actually an expression of your consciousness

in the same way, if a computer could somehow chart out a room, and then analysed that data, it's analysing it's own representation of the real world, and hence, the data is part of the computer measuring the world, rather than being separate from it. it's easier to argue for separation in a computer, perhaps the data exists on a disk somewhere else for example, it's not a great analogy, but perhaps one that can show you that everything you touch see taste feel and hear, is an expression of your consciousness, in the same way that waves in the ocean are not separate from the ocean or something added to the ocean, but simply an expression of the ocean.

furthermore, anything you think, or feel (like emotions), are also expressions of consciousness. and that is to say that consciousness is bigger than all of these. these things appear "in" consciousness, they are not consciousness itself. it can be freeing for some people to learn that thoughts are simply something the brain dumps into consciousness, and we don't actually have to obey them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sure, i just find the purple case to be especially weird somehow. like, had our eyes evolved to only have two kinds of cones we'd only "see" actual spectral colors (as dogs do), determining the perceived frequency by the intensity ratio, having mixed light always being seen as the average of its wavelengths. but then we got a third cone for sensitivity, and we got the weirdo case where the red and blue cones are excited without the green, which no longer corresponds to a frequency so we just invent a new color for it. and that when we talk about birds with five kinds of cones seeing more color than us they really "see" a frequency decomposition of the light.

well, old hat for most people i presume, i had just never thought about it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its interesting how our brains never really complain when they're given mangled data, the purple is sort of the same situation. it just makes it work somehow, and the results may surprise you