Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this isn’t the right attitude now is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

i just noticed mandy moore will be at the nbc keynote. shes dreamy

she is

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah wtf is going on with tvs lately, i haven't bought a tv since before 4k was even a thing, does this explain why the entrance display at my local costco has a huge, really nice looking tv for $1000 next to another huge, slightly nicer looking tv for $5000

like ok yes it does look nicer. i'm not exactly sure how or why, but subjectively the picture is better. it's not FIVE TIMES the price better though, for that kind of price difference they better have invented some new colors, or made it never experience glare even in direct sunlight

colours don’t exist outside of our consciousness. the actual world out there “looks”, as far as most sensors or any kind of sensing device goes, just as shapes that may or may not reflect light.

it’s truly hosed up to think what the hell is consciousness that we could experience colour as colour. before consciousness existed, different hues couldn’t have existed. they’re phenomenon that exist only within experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

You can program a computer to tell apart colors though so they exist outside our minds.

no, electromagnetic sensors (like in a digital camera), can be tuned or filtered to differentiate wavelengths.

which is a different concept to us having an experience of different colours

its genius in a way, because its a way for us to experience and differentiate different combinations of wavelengths without having to see mutliple sets of data to do so

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh i had my brain broken a bit when i learned this year (how did i not know, or at least notice the impossible 2d'ness of color charts?) that purple does not have a wavelength but is our brains made-up representation of "a color midway between red and blue which is not green", and while a computer can also do that for us it drives home how fake our idea of colors are.

it's not that it's fake.. they're entirely real, just fundamentally subjective

everything you see and experience right now, isn't actually the real world, but your minds internal representation of the real world. which is to say, everything you see (or feels like you are seeing) is actually an expression of your consciousness

in the same way, if a computer could somehow chart out a room, and then analysed that data, it's analysing it's own representation of the real world, and hence, the data is part of the computer measuring the world, rather than being separate from it. it's easier to argue for separation in a computer, perhaps the data exists on a disk somewhere else for example, it's not a great analogy, but perhaps one that can show you that everything you touch see taste feel and hear, is an expression of your consciousness, in the same way that waves in the ocean are not separate from the ocean or something added to the ocean, but simply an expression of the ocean.

furthermore, anything you think, or feel (like emotions), are also expressions of consciousness. and that is to say that consciousness is bigger than all of these. these things appear "in" consciousness, they are not consciousness itself. it can be freeing for some people to learn that thoughts are simply something the brain dumps into consciousness, and we don't actually have to obey them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its interesting how our brains never really complain when they're given mangled data, the purple is sort of the same situation. it just makes it work somehow, and the results may surprise you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

Lmao at echi posting freshman stoner philosophical revelations

what if we live in the matrix and i’m like neo. who’s laughing now buddy :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

we don't, hth

well yeah of course, but what if we did

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:supaburn:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the mach 3 shick 4 race all
over again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

boo get off the stage your poo poo is garbage

wow culturally appropriate from the church much?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna see that machine lose control in a comical way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

the buttons are: 16, 33 1/3, and 78

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

the PS5 logo reveal BLEW. my. MIND. wow. didnt get to actually see the PS5 but still, things heating up at ces 2020

new console? BOOORRING

i mean, incremental upgrades nowadays

no ps1 -> ps2 transformation will ever happen again so why bother at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

I will forever be perplexed by the success of avatar

the movie?

watched iwith kids lately, was better than i remembered