Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

You can program a computer to tell apart colors though so they exist outside our minds.

otoh i had my brain broken a bit when i learned this year (how did i not know, or at least notice the impossible 2d'ness of color charts?) that purple does not have a wavelength but is our brains made-up representation of "a color midway between red and blue which is not green", and while a computer can also do that for us it drives home how fake our idea of colors are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sure, i just find the purple case to be especially weird somehow. like, had our eyes evolved to only have two kinds of cones we'd only "see" actual spectral colors (as dogs do), determining the perceived frequency by the intensity ratio, having mixed light always being seen as the average of its wavelengths. but then we got a third cone for sensitivity, and we got the weirdo case where the red and blue cones are excited without the green, which no longer corresponds to a frequency so we just invent a new color for it. and that when we talk about birds with five kinds of cones seeing more color than us they really "see" a frequency decomposition of the light.

well, old hat for most people i presume, i had just never thought about it properly.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sony just showed off a concept car, just grabbing a mazda drivetrain/chassi and decking it out with sony consumer tech on the surface. precisely what i wanted apple to do back in the day. as a company that is actually good at consumer tech.