Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Just to clarify Yusuke Okada is the good Okada, then you have Kinya Okada and then some Podunk company has a dude called “Kazuchika Okada” but you probably haven’t heard of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Lid posted:

Where can this be seen

Stardom World!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
23rd March
AJPW Dream Power Series
Korakuen Hall
Triple Crown Title
Kento Miyahara vs Suwama

Jeez. Big match All Japan is so good

I shall second this: especially the closing stretch of that as well. Great match; end of a very fun show.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Mayumi Ozaki (c) & Saori Anou w/POLICE vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Aja Kong w/Yoshiko for the Blast Queen Championship in a Plasma Blast Deathmatch - Zero-1 Super Fireworks (2/24)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k3SwpT4ZxiG5jxvVMWA

If you've ever watched OZ Academy then you know exactly what kind of match this. Absolute nonsense chaos. It ruled.

I'll nth this: it was exactly what a Seikigun vs Beast Friend Explosion Death Match should be: chaotic, full of interference and bullshit and incredibly, incredibly fun.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC - Go Shiozaki (c) vs Kazuyuki Fujita for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH 20th Anniversary - NOAH The Chronicle (3/29)

Absolutely insane and surreal match that you owe it to yourself to watch unspoiled. From the THIRTY MINUTE staredown that opened to the match to the five minute headlock, to Fujita chugging loving hand sanitizer to the tour of Korakuen Hall to Fujita repeatedly kicking Go right in the head to Go repeatedly clotheslining him into defeat with two minutes left on the clock

It was a very special match and I'm not sure we'll see anything like it again.

I'm nthing this totally unnecessarily because its incredible; the whole thing is great and its quite possibly my match of the year

Didn't see Kaz Fujita having a 57 minute MOTYC coming if I'm entirely honest; never mind one that seems to have spread a lot, lot further than any NOAH match for a long time

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

When Cyberagent bought NOAH and Takagi was appointed as NOAH President he explicitly said that he'd never take control of the wrestling side and that he'd let Marufuji and the top end of the NOAH side decide how they'd go with that. Considering that business-wise they've done perfectly fine with NOSAWA as booker (the monthly shows are stable, and they managed to put 5,000 people in Sumo Hall so its a good base to grow from) so I don't think they are hurrying to shift away from him. Still not signed to them though so they also aren't committing long term to him.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

just realised that I haven't nominated anything this year; time to solve that

MOTYC:
Miyu Yamashita vs Yuka Sakazaki, TJPW, 4th January
Natsumi Maki vs Sareee, TJPW, 4th January
Yuu vs Kaho Kobayashi, OZ Academy, 5th January
Mayu Iwatani vs Momo Watanabe, Stardom, 19th January
Arisa Nakajima vs Yoshiko, SEAdLINNNG, 24th January
Jungle Kyona + Momo Watanabe vs Mayu Iwatani + Kagetsu, Stardom, 26th January
HARASHIMA vs Masato Tanaka, DDT, 26th January
Mayu Iwatani vs Takumi Iroha, Stardom, 8th February
MAO vs Masato Tanaka, DDT, 23rd February
Aja Kong/Hiroyo Matsumoto vs Mayumi Ozaki/Saori Anou, Plasma Bat Death Match, Zero-1/Super Fireworks Wrestling, 24th February
Kagetsu vs Meiko Satomura, Kagetsu Retirement Show, 24th February
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Syuri, Sendai Girls, 8th March
Suzu Suzuki vs Tsukasa Fujimoto, Ice Ribbon, 14th March
Maya Yuhiki vs Hiragi Kurumi, Ice Ribbon, 14th March
Kento Miyahara vs Suwama, AJPW, 23rd March
Daisuke Harada vs Yoshinari Ogawa, NOAH, 29th March

HM:
Daisuke Sasaki + Soma Takao vs Naomi Yoshimura + Yuki Ueno, DDT, 3rd January
Hikaru Sato vs Susumu Yokosuka, AJPW, 3rd January
Maki Itoh vs Hikari Noa, TJPW, 4th January
Saki Akai vs Rina Yamashita, DDT, 12th January
Sareee vs Yoshiko, Diana, 8th February
Kagetsu vs Miyuki Takase, YMZ, 9th February
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Kagetsu, Sendai Girls, 16th February
Kagetsu vs Maika, JTO, 18th February
Bea Priestley + Jamie Hayter vs Momo Watanabe + Utami Hayashishita, Stardom NO PEOPLE GATE, 8th March
Mayu Iwatani vs Saki Kashima, Stardom NO PEOPLE GATE, 8th March
Mayumi Ozaki + Saori Anou vs Ibuki Hoshi + Yoshiko, OZ Academy, 8th March
Thekla vs Madeline, Ice Ribbon, 20th March
Haruka Umesaki vs Yurika Oka, Sendai Girls, 28th March
Mei Hoshizuki vs Maria, Sendai Girls, 28th March

I would normally write what I like about all of these but that would be a book so I'll avoid doing that. Will point out that the Takumi Iroha/Mayu Iwatani match is up there on my Match of the Year list and is worth a watch (here); the Suzu Suzuki-Tsukasa Fujimoto Ice Ribbon match is also very good and something of a career match for Suzu who is shockingly good considering her age and experience level. Probably forgotten a lot but I can add to this later on!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

one for the list of matches that only I would recommend

HM: Leo Isaka vs Takahiro Katori, J-STAGE, 18th March

J-Stage, at least as far as I'm aware, is sort of like a super indie type promotion that brings in random names from all over the indie scene to do interesting matches that you perhaps wouldn't get anywhere else and so you'll sometimes get weird combinations - for example, like this being your main event above the Strong Hearts and Masato Tanaka and Dick Dojo and everyone else that worked this show. Leo Isaka is 21; comes out of the Marvelous dojo as the only dude currently officially signed for a Joshi company and this was his first ever singles main event; having not really wrestled a whole lot for broadcast promotions outside Marvelous. Takahiro Katori isn't a guy I'm an expert on; he's 20 and comes from Eagle Pro which I think is an incredibly small promotion that doesn't ever make tape: people from there have popped up on Marvelous shows before to be in the Leo match and he's wrestled in Freedoms before apparently. So this was quite possibly the biggest match for both; two young dudes on the way up who've been given a pretty big spot by main eventing Korakuen (sure, mid-pandemic for a show that drew 400 fans but its still a Korakuen main event).

I might be skewed by the fact that Leo is my boy but I thought that this was a fun match: don't go in expecting a classic but its a very fun match between two young wrestlers. There are some pretty gnarly spots (pretty sure Leo is planted right on his neck at one point) and its slightly rough but I don't think that stuff is harmful to the match: its the sort of sloppiness that makes the match feel more real; if you get me - its not the sort of sloppiness that exposes obvious cooperation but the sort that makes you go OH poo poo.

Also shows that there are some really talented younger wrestlers in Japan that wrestle for small promotions that go entirely under the surface; and I really hope that someone takes a punt on one of these two dudes: both seem to be perfect sort of people to be the pin eater in a Junior tournament somewhere.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Reminder that I don't count any nomination made before a match ended (I count ShallNoiseUpon's, it was basically posted the same time as this post).

WMOTYC: Edge vs. Randy Orton in a Last Man Standing Match at Wrestlemania 36 Night 2

This match loving SUCCCCCCCKED. I'm not gonna write why because gently caress even spending another second of effort on it.

I'll give an unnecessary nth to this and add that whoever decided to make Shawn Michaels a road agent (he almost certainly agented that match; you can tell) has the worlds worst taste or ability to judge talent

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Suzuki didn't surprise me at all: dude is a freelancer to the core, worked a load of DDT in the past and is perfectly willing to work with pretty much anyone - there's that battle royal that got posted online a while back where he got eliminated from a Battle Royal by a 12 year old Riho for example. Add in that one of his employees at Piledriver is a Gatoh Move wrester (Sayaka) and that Emi seems to know everyone and it doesn't surprise me that he agreed to do it if it would help people out. Same goes for Tanaka; there's the obvious FMW link between him and Emi but they've crossed paths a load and there's clearly mutual respect there.

I'd really suggest checking out Tanaka's DDT run from last December on: its genuinely great stuff and much better than someone his age that's done what he has done ought to be doing. I admit to not being the biggest Zero-1 follower so perhaps there's also something in that stuff that's very good as well.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Baliyan Akki vs. Masato Tanaka - Gatoh Move ChocoPro Live #5 (4/14)

Baliyan Akki is probably going to end up quite high in my WOTY list because Emi Sakura giving him all his dream matches is the only thing remotely positive in pro wrestling right now. On the opposite side of the ring mat is Masato Tanaka, who might actually be the WOTY right now. Tanaka brings a level of hardcore to Ichigaya Chocolate Square that I've never seen before with Emi having to reassure the rest of the Gatoh Move roster that it's okay because it's Tanaka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwM3fHKK0Xg&t=2231s

I'll nth this: a great match that is something totally different from the norm in Gatoh Move. Tanaka has had a great year and he's probably my male WOTY so far.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

MOTYC: Takumi Iroha & Maria vs Mei Hoshizuki & Hibiki, Marvelous, 26th April

This is one of those things where I'm probably a lot higher on than most but gently caress it; I loved this match. For those who don't know Marvelous: they have a live in dojo and from today started to do fortnightly dojo shows just with that talent that live in the dojo to be safe (but then they brought Tommy to referee and a photographer so, well, there's work to do on that front) and both of these matches but especially this one really show how talented their roster is.

If you've seen these people wrestle before you'll know what this is; the Marvelous rookies are very good; Takumi Iroha is one of the best wrestlers around and works this match mostly as a heel as you'd expect when its the company ace in with a load of rookies and she's incredibly good at being the dominant bullying powerhouse: you ended up with foreign objects from the gym being brought in since, well, the ring is in their gym and a great spot where the entire roster including Mio Momono and Rin Kadokura, who were about to return from injuries pre-Corona, turned on Takumi, you got a big brawl followed by one of those spots where they're whipping each other in the corner, with Takumi eventually coming out, giving backdrops to the three people in the match and dared Mio and Rin to go after there, which they declined to do. I'm almost certainly the high person on it (and possibly the only person to watch it since it was pay walled) but screw it; this ruled.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I watched it in a discord chat with other people and laughed a lot about how dumb it was; which means that its better than most WWE matches by default because I got some enjoyment from it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Asuka vs. Mei Suruga - Gatoh Move ChocoPro #16 (5/23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtscTQa2Pk&t=2481s

This was exactly what I needed today. Mei trying to imitate Asuka's dancing was enough to get the HM nod alone but the mix of wacky hijinks and legitimately great mat wrestling made me forget how lovely every thing is and that's all I want. Asuka's post match comments made me sad again but in a kinda cathartic way. She's so mature for a 21-year-old kid and I hope she's coping with the loss of her friend as well as she seems to be.

I'll nth this; as much for Asuka's courage in being able to do a match like this at that time as anything else.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

This will probably get lost in the Double or Nothing match recommendations but I don't really care: I just want to post something about this

HM: Sakura Hirota vs Mikoto Shindo, WAVE NAMI 1 2020 Big Wave, Pro Wrestling WAVE, 1st January

This video is clipped but its enough for me to rank it an HM: I'd never go higher than that on a clipped match anyway. Knowledge of Sakura Hirota as a wrestler and her main signature spots is a big factor is understanding why this match is as good as it is I think; and in a time when, well, things are still a little raw its this sort of match that you really need to watch. The main explanation of it is that its a two-count fall match (WAVE sometimes do a gimmick where one of the wrestlers will pick from a set of envelopes that the referee has to pick a random stip: that was the stipulation selected here) between a long time veteran who does a lot of bullshit that the crowd loves and which other wrestlers go along with because they know this and that it doesn't usually work for her a new rookie who is only interested in winning the match and not going along with the bullshit and that's what makes this work. A perfect example of how when you get comedy spots over you can get as much, if not more, enjoyment and reaction from subverting them rather than just going them as planned.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs Yoshihiko, DDT Peter Pan Night 1, 6th June 2020

new king of the Cinematic Wrestling Revolution right here this ruled

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I really want to know how All Japan found Akira.

TAJIRI goes on like random European tours every so often: in 2018 he worked a show in Italy that had Akira (and also Gianni Valetta) on it and perhaps he worked more that didn't make cagematch. I guess he went to All Japan after those shows and was like "hey this kid is good"; they booked him for Junior Battle of Glory in 2019, he worked very well, did a couple more tours and is now there full time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

hello I am a criminal

MOTYC: SEAdLINNNG Beyond the Sea Singles Title: Arisa Nakajima (c) vs Asuka, SEAdLINNNG Delivered To You 2020, 13th June

This is one of those matches that you could tell would be great from the moment they were announced. Asuka just gets wrestling more than 99% of other wrestlers despite still being very young and comparatively inexperienced and she gets how to change her style up with the promotion she's working and the opponent she has and Arisa Nakajima is the best big match wrestler around today; she wrestles a lot less than others but she always wrestles at this insanely high level in every match she works.

These big SEAdLINNNG main events have an intensity that a lot of other Joshi companies just can't match. They feel like this big time fights even though in this case they're wrestling in front of no fans because of a pandemic. I didn't even notice that botch and if there was something it didn't detract from the match, and the story of the match just worked really well. I forgot that no fans were present which I've never done before for any other no fan match.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Hokuto Omori is a young boy; only just got his first set of non-rookie gear.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Arisa Nakajima (c) vs. Yoshiko for the SEAdLINNNG Beyond the Sea Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG Close to You (7/13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4QIIwq4Xr0

A battle between two of the most influential websites on the Internet as SomethingAwful's own FIGHT ISLAND champion of the month takes on the new queen of TikTok. One of the best matches I've seen all year as you might expect from these two, the near falls are some of the tensest I've ever seen.

I shall second this, and encourage everyone to watch this match. Will rewatch it but it could be my new Match of the Year full stop.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Gatoh Move actually has championships but I'm pretty sure the Super Asia Belt has been vacant since Riho left.

Yep; don't think they've even mentioned the thing since so perhaps they've forgotten about it.

They also have the Asia Dream Tag Titles (which Emi currently holds with Kaori Yoneyama, winning them in the last show with fans) and also Emi Sakura is the 3CW Women's Champion - a belt from a random Britwres promotion that died after Emi won the thing so she's defended that at Gatoh Move shows before. They used to also use the IWA Title (I think the main belt of IWA:Japan, the death match-based promotion that Emi initially debuted with) but I think they dropped that when they debuted the Super Asia which is a shame; the idea of the main Gatoh Move title being some old random belt that Dick Slater and Jim Duggan had held in the past is incredibly funny.

I think they are smart going without belts: its let them do interesting show-to-show stories that having to book around belts and building up title matches would disrupt.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Rina Yamashita vs. Risa Sera for the FantastICE Championship - Ice Ribbon Yokohama Buntai FINAL (8/9)

Absolutely amazing match. It began with Rina Yamashita riding to the ring on the back of Manami Toyota's motorcycle waving a light tube around and got better from there. They started with the funnier stuff like motorcycle lariats and Risa Sera's husband being used as a weapon before they started swinging the chairs and light tubes at each other. Some super scary ladder spots and Rina ended up bleeding a lot. These are the two coolest wrestlers in joshi by far.

nthing the poo poo out of this; loving incredible match. Not one for those that don't like blood or dangerous poo poo (does it count as a shoot headbutt if there's a group of light tubes in between?) but if you don't mind that stuff then you'll love this match. Will also quote the link again since you really should watch this

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7JmTzJ2tTY

Here it is in Nico quality, there should be a SamuraiTV version in a few weeks

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Rarity posted:

UMMMMMMMMMMMM!

sorry are you saying that there's something wrong with getting d Rarity

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

That match is on my list of things to watch and I'm really looking forward to it. She rarely does it but Yoshiko is really good at being the underdog babyface: she had a really good tag title defence (with Hiroyo Matsumoto, against Asuka and Makoto) where she's working babyface in peril for most of the match and it rules: the best match of that show and considering the main event was Takumi Iroha vs Arisa Nakajima that says a lot.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Oh hey Marvelous uploaded Takumi Iroha & Syuri vs Asuka & Nyla Rose from their Korakuen Hall show on December 8th last year. I'd nominate it but I don't know the rules for something that happened last year but didn't see the light of day until this year.

Anyway watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF2eKFT6NjE

I second this recommendation: got the DVD of this show and this is a very good match. I don't know if they'll upload it to YouTube but the Iroha-Nagayo match from this show is worth a watch as well: its not an all time classic or anything but when you consider that Chigusa Nagayo was 55 and this was her first big proper singles match in 14 years (last one before was her putting over Meiko in the last GAEA show; some symmetry there) its really impressive.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
20th December
Stardom Osaka Dream Cinderella
World of Stardom Title
Utami Hayashishta vs Momo Watanabe

This ruled, some ludicrously gnarly looking bumps taken.

I shall second this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Boss to MAMMY (Mio Momono & Yumi Ohka) (c) vs. Sutodama (Sareee & Hibiki) for the Dual Shock WAVE - WAVE THANKSGIVINGWAVE 2020 (12.27)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfIXYRWyaA

I've really missed seeing Mio wrestle and I'm really going to miss seeing Sareee wrestle. Everyone does great here but the Mio vs Sareee parts are the highlights. Mio may look slightly ridiculous but she gets making it look like she is trying to win a wrestling match more than most wrestlers I've seen.

I would like the nth the poo poo out of this: really good match that you all should watch.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Oni ni Kanabo (Yoshiko & Sareee) vs. Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) (c) for the SEAdLINNNG Beyond the SEA Tag Team Championship - SEAdLINNNG Shinkiba Night (11.27)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opTXd541ZuU&t=3042s

I was lucky enough to be in attendance for this. Yoshiko & Sareee work together like a team that have been together for many, many years and Best Friends are one of the best tag teams in the world. One thing I'm glad for in 2020 is that Sareee is still in Japan and not doing NXT shows yet.

I would also like to nth this