Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: HIROMU TAKAHASHI VS. WILL OSPREAY, NJPW WRESTLE KINGDOM 14, 04/01

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Close the thread, not even Okada has a chance at beating this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

Lol @ this post and doubting the loving Rainmaker

I stand by it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Don't think either will need it at this point but HM for both Takahashi/Lee and Moxley/Ambrose.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Suzuki vs Moxley! It was like 3 AM. I was really tired.

e: Now I do want to see Jon Moxley vs Dean Ambrose though...

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gonna nth that MOTYC nomination for Riho vs Nyla

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MOTYC: Ravenous Randy Myers vs SCHAFT for the 8xGP Championship (DEFY Crash of Kings - Feb 21st)

I can't put into words what this match did for me. I'm sure others would only go HM but that meant the world to me.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

KFG doesn't like AEW's style.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega & Hangman Page (C) vs. The Young Bucks for the AEW Tag Team Titles - AEW Revolution 2/29

Kenny Omega reminding everybody he's one of the greatest wrestlers on the planet... and he was only one of FOUR incredible wrestlers in this match! What an incredible, incredible match. That Young Bucks stealing the Double V-Trigger spot and Kenny's kickout at one spot was sensational.

MassRafTer posted:

One of the best tag team matches I've ever seen. Definitely top 3 in the US.

Agree with both.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM: Jamie Hayter and Bea Priestley (C) vs Momo Watanabe and Utami Hayashishita for the Goddesses of STARDOM titles - STARDOM No People Gate, 3/7

HM: Mayu Iwatani vs Saki Kashima in a lumberjack match - STARDOM No People Gate, 3/7

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's a shame we don't track promo of the year because I'd nominate Chris Jericho vs Vanguard 1 in a heart beat.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Whenever people nominate a Japanese promotion and don't post a link I just assume I'll never watch it. So I read the spoilers beforehand. They did not prepare me for the actual match.

e: whoops didn't make this clear that I was gonna go ahead and Nth that.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 29, 2020

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

People who skip the staredown are the same sorts of people who would create an only fight scenes version of Jean Claude Van Dam's Bloodsport

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah gently caress J-Ru's rules, this match is terrible.

e: I got in right as it ende dos this counts.

WMOTYC: Edge vs Randy Orton, Wrestlemania 36 night 2

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

motyc: bray wyatt vs. john cena in a firefly funhouse match at wrestlemania 36

its such good poo poo!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM Britt Baker vs Hikaru Shider - AEW Dynamite - April 8th

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gonna Nth all the WMOTYCs from MitB.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

2nd OC vs Fenix for HM

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

MOTYC: The Stadium Stampede, AEW DoN, May 23rd 2020

I'm not spoiling poo poo about this match in case someone reading this hasn't seen it. It's utterly incredible. Please do yourself a favour and watch it

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ShadowedFlames posted:

Are we counting Street Profits/Viking Raiders as a match? If so,

WMOTYC: Street Profits vs Viking Raiders, WWE Backlash, June 14

2nd

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ivypls posted:

WMOTYC: Randy Orton vs. Edge, WWE Backlash, 6/14

A match that would have been fine on it's own merits was destroyed by a stupid hype machine that insisted that it was going to be something it never could. Overlong and overproduced, this should have been a rock solid match but in was overshadowed by terrible camerawork, awful piped-in crowd noise, and some frankly nonsensical finisher spam.

I agree. Nth.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM to Bebop vs Best Friends

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

MOTYC Fyter Fest 8-man. Holy poo poo.

Unnecessary nth

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

After sleeping on it, gently caress that match. The only terrible New Japan main event match I've seen since I started watching.

WMOTY: Tetsuya Naito vs EVIL

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The eye for an eye match had the dumbest stip of all time but it was well worked imo

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM: Joey Janela vs Lio Rush GCW Homecoming 7/26

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I go the rare route for MOTYC because I think if nearly everything great gets a MOTYC then the MOTYC just feels like a super HM. We've got more MOTYCs than I can bother to count rn and if I wanted to catch up on just the best matches I'd have no idea what to actually go with as a result. Smaller promotions that manage to eek out a legitimate ****1/2+ match just get lost in the shuffle of every par AEW and NJPW match getting MOTYCs. I'm not a huge fan of multiple MOTYCs on the same show, but I understand since I've seen enough Wrestle Kingdoms and G1 tournaments and there are legitimately tough calls sometime.

At the same time though it's the Something Awful recommend matches thread so really who cares if we don't have the toughest criteria.

e: Looking back over this year I've given 7 MOTYC votes and in hindsight only four of them (Dragon Lee vs Hiromu Takahashi, Bebop vs the Bucks, Nyla Rose vs Riho, and the Fighter Fest eight man) are ones I still see as a MOTYC. And honestly I loved Bebop vs the Bucks so much I'm willing to just call it MOTY for me unless G1 comes up with something very mindblowing this year.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 31, 2020

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HMs
Thunder Rosa vs Hikaru Shida - Took me back into the show after Hardy/Sammy took me out
Mimosa Mayhem Match - I viewed this like I viewed the Lighttube (singular) Match that DDT put on - very tense from how easily everything could gently caress up and go wrong. Every time they stepped near that mimosa was anxious and tense to me because of the simple question "what if they slipped?"
Moxley vs MJF - Just a plain good match with an excellent finish

WMOTY
Sammy vs Matt Hardy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM: ACH vs Lio Rush - Joey Janela's Spring Break 4
HM: Ricky Morton vs Joey Janela - Joey Janela's Spring Break 4