Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Brady get to watch the divisional round from home?
Yes
No
Bill will unplug him
Kid Kisser
View Results

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

People declaring him washed or whatever is wishcasting or didn't really pay attention to the games.
What did I miss? The defense carried that team from what I saw, and Brady looked worse and worse as the season went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I do think Edelman has hit the end of the line though. He was injured all year and he's not getting any younger for someone who can really only go over the middle and get clobbered all the time.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Leon Einstein posted:

What did I miss? The defense carried that team from what I saw, and Brady looked worse and worse as the season went on.

as long as you contextualize all of bradys bad play as being someone elses fault, hes still insanely good

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

He still could work with these guys, he just doesnt want to. He skips otas and then gets pissed when they dont know how to read his mind.

Offenses are not installed in OTAs, they are for rookies to learn how to play in the NFL and vets to get back into shape. And I don't think going to OTAs would have helped him play better with Sanu, but what do I know.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

poo poo OL. Missing Andrews all year messed everything up and Wynn was out for half the year on IR. The corpse of Marshall Newhouse played basically all season and that is not a ideal scenario for anyone. He played well against the Bills, but that was in between horrid games against Cincinatti, Miami and now Tennessee

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Patriots only really moved the ball when they did tricky stuff. Dean Pees made a good game plan and the d played really really well. Not everything is player is bad

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Offenses are not installed in OTAs, they are for rookies to learn how to play in the NFL and vets to get back into shape. And I don't think going to OTAs would have helped him play better with Sanu, but what do I know.

Yea he had no rapport with Harry or Myers because he didnt show up to work with them. Sanu played well against the Ravens but then hurt his ankle and basically vanished for the rest of the season. He even stopped throwing to Dorsett for a while and while hes no burner he basically catches everything thrown to him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
A master carpenter doesn't blame his tools

Nov 6, 2002

Nodoze posted:

He even stopped throwing to Dorsett for a while and while hes no burner he basically catches everything thrown to him

hah

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Belichick, a big believer in getting rid of someone a year too early rather than a year too late, and was trying to get rid of Brady in 2017. McDaniels is desperate to get the gently caress out of dodge this year. His overall poor play. The writing is on the wall that Brady is done.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i do like how their entire offense this year hinged on fleecing the raiders for AB and then he went and hosed it all up by having a brain disorder and being a sex pest.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember when the patriots wr corps was AB, Josh Gordon and Edelman

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
TUA

TUA TUA TUA

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

Remember when the patriots wr corps was AB, Josh Gordon and Edelman

I'd still like to know the story behind them cutting Gording when they did. I assume they caught wind of him slipping up. But even though he wasn't too involved in the offense he was still a legit threat that had to be accounted for by defenses and was worth keeping around until actually suspended. Dude didn't get many targets but he made some crazy tough catches in big spots.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

He caught 66% and then 77% of passes thrown to him the last two years. That went down this season but Brady also barely completed 60% of his passes this year, down 5% from last year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That whole “damnit julian get in the slot” was good though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Metapod posted:

Brady to the BEARS

This is the funniest possible outcome.

Brady to the Bears as starting QB and mentor to his backup young Mitchell Trubisky. Then Brady stinks up the joint so bad the fans start demanding Trubisky. Around week eight or so Brady gets benched for Mitchell Trubisky. He retires in the off season rather than ride the bench as backup to Trubbish.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Why would any of those teams want a washed up QB? I was told the Pats had a historically great defense and still got bounced in the first round.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No historically great defense can survive an encounter with Ryan Tannehill

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

nah posted:

can anyone think of a better day of playoff games in recent memory

Definitely not in the last few years since I started watching religiously. These games were highly satisfying fare

I hate fans who act like they are and have always been an actual part of the team SO MUCH

OxySnake posted:

Ryan Tannehill threw for 72 yards.

:lol:

I mean, the Patriots' best position group by far is their DBs and pass defense in general. I think it was smart to limit Tannehill's exposure in that way. Turns out 72 yards and one touchdown on 3rd and 10 (and one interception) was just enough to get the job done. Plus a million yards from Henry

rjmccall posted:

If it’s thrown with force and obviously intentional then it’s either a forward pass or it’s a lateral and doesn’t stop the clock. If it’s not thrown with force it’s obviously extremely dangerous.

It's kind of an interesting question though. Could you lateral (straight up overhand backwards pass) backwards and to the sidelines and that would stop the clock where the ball went out of bounds, right? So potentially that could help with clock management?

Kawalimus posted:

I really want to see the day where when a DB is matched up with a big TE for a jump ball on like a fade, where instead of trying to beat him for the jump ball goes for his near leg and holds it and pushes him out. Since there's no forceout rule anymore that's a no-catch.

He had plenty of room, and I don't think Cj Gardner Johnson at 5'10" 200 lbs (which seems like a lot) would have much luck lifting and pushing out a 6'6" 265 lb tight end who has feet to spare before the sideline. Besides, these days you can push but you can't lift, so they have to be right next to the sideline already

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say I've never seen an NFL quarterback look as scared and defeated as Allen did.

It was beyond bizarre. Dude looked like he'd just witnessed his whole family massacred right in front of him when overtime was announced. I was actually wondering if maybe he was a bit injured or something because it seemed so dramatic

Primetime posted:

Say what you will about the bills falling apart. But man calling the blindside block in overtime in the playoffs is unbelievable.

It wasn't forcible enough either, he basically just got in his way like you're supposed to do. Bad call

Metapod posted:

Brady played pretty well

I don't really agree. Here's a pretty fair (imo) look at it. His receivers failed him and he failed his receivers in turn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcLNiwhKas

R.D. Mangles posted:

after watching approximately 25 minutes of josh allen, i've figured out that he's mitch trubisky except smarter and more accurate

I think he's a large mithc trubisky with better legs and a better arm but everything else pretty much the same

In fact, I will be calling him Large Mitch Trubisky from now on

Nov 6, 2002

In the first half of that game Josh Allen made a few throws that Trubisky could only dream of.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Intruder posted:

No historically great defense can survive an encounter with Ryan Tannehill

He did have the tough job of handing the ball to Henry.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

In the first half of that game Josh Allen made a few throws that Trubisky could only dream of.

Anyone can do that except Hackenberg

Play
Apr 25, 2006

thats the kind of thing that Large Mitch Trubisky is capable of

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ryan Tannehill going ham in the back half of this season is one of my favorite storylines that didn't get enough attention.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tannehill made some good throws that the Patriots dbs made incomplete by perfectly playing the line between legal and illegal contact

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I approve of making Mitchell Trubiskys the new scale for evaluating quarterbacks.

Patrick Mahomes = 3 Trubiskys
Josh McCown = 0.75 Trubiskys
Mitchell Trubisky = 1 Trubisky

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Tannehill made some good throws that the Patriots dbs made incomplete by perfectly playing the line between legal and illegal contact

Yeah he had some close ones.

And I mean, don't forget that beautiful pass on 3rd and 10, a deep in-cutting seam to the tight end that they wouldn't have won without

BGrifter posted:

Patrick Mahomes = 3 Large Trubiskys
Josh McCown = 0.75 Small Trubiskys
Mitchell Trubisky = 1 Regular Trubisky

ftfy

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The titans won cuz of tannehill ur right

Play
Apr 25, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The titans won cuz of tannehill ur right

they won because of a lot of different things, including the players that were on their team, yeah. as usual

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

It's kind of an interesting question though. Could you lateral (straight up overhand backwards pass) backwards and to the sidelines and that would stop the clock where the ball went out of bounds, right? So potentially that could help with clock management?

Apparently the clock is only stopped until the ready-for-play when this happens. I didn’t know this either, they were just talking about it during the game, but sure enough:

quote:

If a fumble or backward pass by any player goes out of bounds, the game clock starts on the Referee’s signal that a ball has been returned to the field of play.

Of course, that’s still potentially way better than the clock just running while everyone’s picking themselves up.

Nov 6, 2002

rjmccall posted:

Apparently the clock is only stopped until the ready-for-play when this happens. I didn’t know this either, they were just talking about it during the game, but sure enough:

Of course, that’s still potentially way better than the clock just running while everyone’s picking themselves up.

Now I'm imagining someone chucking it backwards into the stands while getting tackled.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I’d been thinking about it as a behind-the-LoS thing, but if you’re a receiver and you’re getting tackled inbounds without much time left, it seems like the obviously correct play. I wonder why we never see it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, I’d been thinking about it as a behind-the-LoS thing, but if you’re a receiver and you’re getting tackled inbounds without much time left, it seems like the obviously correct play. I wonder why we never see it.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering if there was some sort of special exception for intentionally doing it or something. That's a rule that is super exploitable, and I don't know why teams don't exploit it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I guess one problem is that if you’re a receiver downfield you need to be really careful about your momentum. If you’re getting shoe-string tackled and falling forward it’s probably going to end up travelling forward.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Also the potential for hilarious pick-sixes really cannot be understated here.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

A scenario I'm thinking of is if there's like 10 seconds left and you have the ball at the 50 with no timeouts. Teams are going to aggressively defend the sidelines but give you whatever you want over the middle. So dump it over the middle and pick up what yardage you can, and then chuck the ball down the line into the nosebleeds. You'll have plenty of time to clock the ball and then trot your field goal unit out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Didn't Mitch have historically high college completion percentage and Josh Allen historically low yet somehow on any actual NFL throw past the line Allen is way more accurate these days

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Didn't Mitch have historically high college completion percentage and Josh Allen historically low yet somehow on any actual NFL throw past the line Allen is way more accurate these days

Nah, Mitch barely played in college, which is why he was such a head-scratching pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Yes, but kind of a sample size problem.