Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Brady get to watch the divisional round from home?
Yes
No
Bill will unplug him
Kid Kisser
View Results

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

mastershakeman posted:

Didn't Mitch have historically high college completion percentage and Josh Allen historically low yet somehow on any actual NFL throw past the line Allen is way more accurate these days

Mitch had 1 absurd year of production on a job he got after the previous unimpressive guy graduated.

Josh Allen played at a G5 school in the most forgettable state with 0 stars as receivers. Not saying he was a god but certainly a better prospect than Mitchell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

rjmccall posted:

Apparently the clock is only stopped until the ready-for-play when this happens. I didn’t know this either, they were just talking about it during the game, but sure enough:

Of course, that’s still potentially way better than the clock just running while everyone’s picking themselves up.

Interesting so I guess there might be a SMALL advantage there but it's still an advantage. Gives the team more time to set up and get ready for the clock to start winding.

Of course, that needs to be balanced against the real possibility of a fumble if you try to just fling it out of bound on the run

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Can you make change for a Large Trubisky? I need a couple smalls for the parking meter.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

Interesting so I guess there might be a SMALL advantage there but it's still an advantage. Gives the team more time to set up and get ready for the clock to start winding.

Yeah. Hopefully NFL athletes can haul rear end downfield faster than the refs and you’re all set to clock it when they put it in play. I think Simplex’s idea to take advantage of lax mid-field defense could really work.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Mitch had 1 absurd year of production on a job he got after the previous unimpressive guy graduated.

Josh Allen played at a G5 school in the most forgettable state with 0 stars as receivers. Not saying he was a god but certainly a better prospect than Mitchell.

It wasn't even that good! It was respectable. 68% complete, 30 TDs and 6 ints, 3800 yards.

Compare that to Burrow, another one year wonder: 77.6% complete, 55 TDs and 6 ints, 5200 yards.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It wasn't even that good! It was respectable. 68% complete, 30 TDs and 6 ints, 3800 yards.

Compare that to Burrow, another one year wonder: 77.6% complete, 55 TDs and 6 ints, 5200 yards.

I feel like comparing anybody’s season to Joe Burrow is a little disingenuous, given that Joe Burrow has had one of the better seasons of all time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Can you make change for a Large Trubisky? I need a couple smalls for the parking meter.

What am I, a peasant? I only stock Large and Extra Large Trubiskys, as befits a man of my stature

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Democrazy posted:

I feel like comparing anybody’s season to Joe Burrow is a little disingenuous, given that Joe Burrow has had one of the better seasons of all time

Consider Burrow is going to be drafted like 1 spot above Trubz.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Democrazy posted:

Mitch was the first QB taken and the Bears traded up to get him.

But okay, Jalen Hurts also had a better season than Mitch and he ain't going in the first. Mitch's season wouldn't make the top 100 best seasons for a college QB.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Remember when plenty of people said unironically that the Pats just lost to the Ravens so Billy Five Aces could keep his secret to totally shutting down the "gimmicky" MVP in the playoffs and then got absolutely owned by a single player anyway lmao

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Play posted:

What am I, a peasant? I only stock Large and Extra Large Trubiskys, as befits a man of my stature

It’s time to redistribute the Trubiskys to the working class.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Simplex posted:

A scenario I'm thinking of is if there's like 10 seconds left and you have the ball at the 50 with no timeouts. Teams are going to aggressively defend the sidelines but give you whatever you want over the middle. So dump it over the middle and pick up what yardage you can, and then chuck the ball down the line into the nosebleeds. You'll have plenty of time to clock the ball and then trot your field goal unit out.

Another problem with this plan is that you do get the ball where it went out of bounds, so if you're throwing it way backwards to make sure it's not a forward pass, you're giving up 5+ of those yards you just earned. Definitely doesn't seem worth the risk overall, but maybe there is a 1 in a million situation where it would help.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Rooster Brooster posted:

Another problem with this plan is that you do get the ball where it went out of bounds, so if you're throwing it way backwards to make sure it's not a forward pass, you're giving up 5+ of those yards you just earned. Definitely doesn't seem worth the risk overall, but maybe there is a 1 in a million situation where it would help.

The big issue is that they're going to open up the middle of the field to you in an effort to defend the endzone for a possible hail mary and if they're smart, they're also not going to tackle to you quickly in the hopes of wasting more clock while you dance around/attempt to lateral.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bjay9 posted:

The big issue is that they're going to open up the middle of the field to you in an effort to defend the endzone for a possible hail mary and if they're smart, they're also not going to tackle to you quickly in the hopes of wasting more clock while you dance around/attempt to lateral.

Exactly. He's right it's not a common scenario, but I mean we've seen a good number of hook and ladder type plays with little time remaining this season. Instead of a no-hope lateral to another player just lateral that bitch into the sidelines and have a few seconds or whatever to run one more play. Obviously it only makes sense if you're out of timeouts.

There's probably some obscure rule somewhere in the massive rulebook that makes this a foul or something but it's fun to think about

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i wonder why the saints never adjusted for theilan is running a deep out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Metapod posted:

if you can put the vikings into a position where kirk cousins has to drop a fifty yard dime you do that every time.

still lmao that they gave that play up though

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

Exactly. He's right it's not a common scenario, but I mean we've seen a good number of hook and ladder type plays with little time remaining this season. Instead of a no-hope lateral to another player just lateral that bitch into the sidelines and have a few seconds or whatever to run one more play. Obviously it only makes sense if you're out of timeouts.

There's probably some obscure rule somewhere in the massive rulebook that makes this a foul or something but it's fun to think about

Rule 4.7.1.d

ARTICLE 1. ILLEGAL ACTS
A team is not permitted to conserve time after the two-minute warning of either half by committing any of these acts:

(d) throwing a backward pass out of bounds;

Penalty: For Illegally Conserving Time: Loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.

When actions referred to above are committed by the offensive team while time is in, officials will run off 10 seconds from the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The game clock will start on the ready-for- play signal unless another rule prescribes otherwise. If the offensive team has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of a 10-second runoff, in which case the game clock will start on the snap after the timeout. The defense always has the option to decline the 10-second runoff and have the yardage penalty enforced, but if the yardage penalty is declined, the 10-second runoff is also declined.

If the action is by the defense, the play clock will be reset to 40 seconds, and the game clock will start on the ready signal, unless the offense chooses to have the clock start on the snap. If the defense has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of the game clock being started.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
No Fun League

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's literally a section now that just says teams are encouraged to not fake injuries for free timeouts anymore.

No enforcement or anything.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Metapod posted:

I haven’t looked back to confirm, but someone on twitter said Jenkins, who was on Thielen, was injured the previous play and taken out, so the Vikings targeted the backup who just came in to replace him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Cousins threw a perfect touch pass, something the Saints could not have possibly expected

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yall dont know what an out is?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
honestly I assumed you meant go route and had accidentally slipped up

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

In the first half of that game Josh Allen made a few throws that Trubisky could only dream of.

Late, but yeah this is Allen's strength. If the Bills had won Mahomes vs Allen might have been the strongest armed playoff matchup ever?

Not the best quarterback matchup obviously, just two guys who can throw the ball ridiculously far.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Intruder posted:

Cousins threw a perfect touch pass, something the Saints could not have possibly expected

I believe he's been at or near the very top of the league for deep ball accuracy all season.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Thaddius the Large posted:

I haven’t looked back to confirm, but someone on twitter said Jenkins, who was on Thielen, was injured the previous play and taken out, so the Vikings targeted the backup who just came in to replace him.

It was Lattimore but true regardless, he got rocked by another saints player but his foot also got trapped under the Vikings player and that's what caused him to have to leave the game.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

fartknocker posted:

It should involve panning between all the faces in that picture.

didn't see this til just now but it's amazing, I don't know if I have the chops to make a good av-sized gif but I'll give it a go

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I believe he's been at or near the very top of the league for deep ball accuracy all season.

Yeah he throws nice sideline/deep routes, especially if the ball doesn't have to get there in a hurry. I'll always remember this Washington/Vikings game (pretty sure it was the game that convinced the Vikings they wanted Kirk Cousins) where he dropped like 5 gorgeous deep sideline throws all over the Vikings.

It's not like he's the best deep thrower ever or anything, but its one of those things he's reasonable good at. He throws catchable balls that sink correctly for the receiver to run under

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Aww.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

Yeah he throws nice sideline/deep routes, especially if the ball doesn't have to get there in a hurry. I'll always remember this Washington/Vikings game (pretty sure it was the game that convinced the Vikings they wanted Kirk Cousins) where he dropped like 5 gorgeous deep sideline throws all over the Vikings.

It's not like he's the best deep thrower ever or anything, but its one of those things he's reasonable good at. He throws catchable balls that sink correctly for the receiver to run under

This is what has me excited about Burrow. Dalton rarely puts anything deep where receivers can catch in stride and that seems to be what Burrow excels at.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.

Eifert Posting posted:

This is what has me excited about Burrow. Dalton rarely puts anything deep where receivers can catch in stride and that seems to be what Burrow excels at.

Burrow's game isn't throwing deep routes though. He's an accurate intermediate passer but asking him to throw a go route consistently isn't going to turn out well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cpranger posted:

Burrow's game isn't throwing deep routes though. He's an accurate intermediate passer but asking him to throw a go route consistently isn't going to turn out well.

I've seen him make some pretty nice deep sideline throws, but I haven't watched all his tape or anything so I will bow to your knowledge

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
He can make the throw, but it shouldn't be something around which the offense should be focused. There were several games this season where the first half offense bogged down because they tried to go downfield too often. It also shouldnt be overlooked noted how good Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall played this season.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
What you should be excited about WRT Burrow is his ability to hit a target while he's in full stride during a scramble.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

here's the panthers owner groping his wife during a press conference

https://twitter.com/BlakeTeezy1/status/1214998598284455936?s=20

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
At least it was his own wife and not someone else's!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

At least he wasn't that minister or whatever that was trying to grope Ariana Grande at a funeral.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

What you should be excited about WRT Burrow is his ability to hit a target while he's in full stride during a scramble.

Oh absolutely. That said, Burrow has tape showing he can get the ball downfield 30-50 yards and hit receivers in stride, which is more than enough to keep defenses honest. Dalton can get the ball down there and in the field of play, but receivers almost always have to adjust to the ball.

Just having to realistically account for plays that far down the field will be a big help to our running game. Taylor likes his PA as well so Burrow not needing to set his feet for every throw also seems a fit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

here's the panthers owner groping his wife during a press conference

https://twitter.com/BlakeTeezy1/status/1214998598284455936?s=20

And in the tradition of billionaires everywhere, that's his second wife for when his first got too old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Play posted:

And in the tradition of billionaires everywhere, that's his second wife for when his first got too old

Yep, I guess he just married her last year?

Also his first son went to Full Sail College for game development? :wtc: