Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
All my life I have heard people rave about this "brand" of frozen milky goodness, but never have I bothered to sample it. Various things kept me away: finances, the small portion sizes, dedication to locally hand-crafted creameries. Today I thought "Why not, why not try a B&J rather than Haagen-Daaz or Bryers?" :thunk:

So I did, I bought some "Chocolate Therapy" as a reward for a ridiculous two weeks, and I was...thoroughly disappointed. Hard, chewy, perhaps slightly stale? Mouthfeel and consistence similar to a fudgesicle rather than the creamy delight I'd been promised my whole adult life. As a man who once spent an entire summer eating a carton of ice-cream a day as his sole sustenance, I do consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur.

Goons, have I been sold a lie? Is this brand of iced milk product entirely overrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
It was a pretty revolutionary product for his time but the market for high quality "premium" style ice cream is now saturated 35 years later, op.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Whenever I want to feel good about eating an entire tub of icecream, I reach for my BJs

Just kidding what kind've adult male eats an entire loving tub of goddamn icecream the gently caress.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
tillamook > ben & jerries

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i refuses to eat B&J because they seem wholly incapable of making an ice cream flavour that isn’t obnoxiously weird or ~random~

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Who knew mass market store-bought ice cream available in every supermarket in America would be garbage?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mnoba posted:

I look forward to my upcoming 8 weeks in Portland and enjoying this delicacy shortly before the nuclear fires consume us all.

Motherfucker posted:

Just kidding what kind've adult male eats an entire loving tub of goddamn icecream the gently caress.

<----- This guy. Sometimes with a whole pie on the side. :v:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Rime posted:

<----- This guy. Sometimes with a whole pie on the side. :v:

You fat bastard.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

terminal chillness posted:

It was a pretty revolutionary product for his time but the market for high quality "premium" style ice cream is now saturated 35 years later, op.

it's this

that said, cherry garcia is still pretty good.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902429&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

There’s already a thread for this

:nsa:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Unilever bought them and now it has stabilizers. (which does make it easier to scope but I suspect it doesn't taste the same as it use to) I actually don't know when the change happened. Well that and I no longer can get the Cotton Candy flavor which is a bummer.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Motherfucker posted:

You fat bastard.

Fast metabolisms, brosifacalafradgalisticexpialadotiousdude.

This's what I get for not forums searching a consumer food product before starting a thread. :cripes:

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Rime posted:

I look forward to my upcoming 8 weeks in Portland and enjoying this delicacy shortly before the nuclear fires consume us all.

Umpqua is fantastic too.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

No its good, sorry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mnoba posted:

tillamook is absolutely my favorite and the best store-bought ice cream

can't go wrong with their marionberry pie or huckleberry, tho the huckleberry one seems to be discontinued.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
but yeah B&J really kinda sucks, the one guy who said it was good 35 years ago is probably right. i think the only flavor i've liked is the blueberry lemon cheesecake one

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

but yeah B&J really kinda sucks, the one guy who said it was good 35 years ago is probably right. i think the only flavor i've liked is the blueberry lemon cheesecake one

Call me old fashioned but I just want a nice chocolate creme, maybe a maple nut if you get my drift. :wink:

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
im the mouthfeel in the op

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

They used to have a creme brûlée flavor. It was hella good.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they don't make vanilla heath bar crunch any more :mad:

but yes now that there are other good options they're not as special as they were. still not bad though

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Just once I always wanted to see Ben successfully catch and eat Jerry

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Ben and Jerry's is trash.
Hagen Daz is where it's at!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Olympic Mountain is actually the best. Don't think I can get it in Portland.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

There used to be this amazing brand called 2nd street creamery that made some of the best drat pints of ice cream I have every had, but they got bought out by blue bunny :negative:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ben & jerrys is ok. americone dream is insanely good though and more ice cream flavors need crushed up sugar cones in them

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Since this topic was done to death a month ago, this is now an artisnal churned butter thread.

Small batch butter: Hot or Not?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Rime posted:

Since this topic was done to death a month ago, this is now an artisnal churned butter thread.

Small batch butter: Hot or Not?

My dad is obsessed with that stuff. Doesn't get it often though. I guess he likes to keep it as a special treat.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
finishing off my pint of tillamook mudslide after chili and beer, i blame you goons for this

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I read a 2500 word article about some gal in Vermont who makes the best butter in America, only for sale once a year and is yellow as snow pissed in by the chronically dehydrated and then kissed by the sun.

Sounded delicious, anything comparable on the west coast?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is so simple to make your own ice cream, but who has the time, right? That said, anything with chunks of fruite and nuts is fine by me.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
had some pistachio ben & jerries and loved it
love my pisstachio bjs

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rime posted:

I read a 2500 word article about some gal in Vermont who makes the best butter in America, only for sale once a year and is yellow as snow pissed in by the chronically dehydrated and then kissed by the sun.

Sounded delicious, anything comparable on the west coast?

Honestly stuff like this probably isn't really much better than whatever high end stuff you could find anywhere and the only reason anyone cares/hypes it up is because of the inherent exclusivity that makes writing about it something someone will pay them to do.

These people consistently fail any blind testing over quality for basically any product imaginable. It's expectations and placebo all the way down.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mnoba posted:

Suck on that least coast.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Duck and Cover posted:

Unilever bought them and now it has stabilizers.

This, OP. if you want ice cream that is worth eating, make it yourself. Otherwise you may as well be chugging whipping cream out of the carton while eating spoonfuls of sugar

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

oatmeal cookie chunk

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tillamook is the good poo poo. For the smaller sizes, I like Talenti gelato a lot, especially the layered ones.

I used to make my own ice cream a lot, it was pretty easy and you could make weird flavors. But i guess I got rid of my ice cream maker during a move or something because I don't have it anymore.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
how many Jerries?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly stuff like this probably isn't really much better than whatever high end stuff you could find anywhere and the only reason anyone cares/hypes it up is because of the inherent exclusivity that makes writing about it something someone will pay them to do.

These people consistently fail any blind testing over quality for basically any product imaginable. It's expectations and placebo all the way down.

Is the World’s Best Butter Worth 50 Dollars a Pound?

"The slightly sour bread was the foil for the Platonic butter of my memories that opened with bright, creamy sweetness and, after a tangy sour note, faded in a long, lightly nutty finish. The mouthfeel was firm and unctuous but never greasy. "

"Then, several years ago, while in Reims, I tasted a butter that obliterated the memory of the very worthwhile Champagnes on the table. It was made by Jean-Yves Bordier in Brittany, and was not imported to the United States. But the experience of Bordier stayed with me. In time, it ignited a determination to recapture the taste I remembered. "

"First, I visited New York's Russian-Jewish enclave, Brighton Beach, for several specimens made in the land of my birth. I found them in a store with smooth jazz on the speakers and the delightful name of Gourmanoff. Unfortunately, these items turned out to be mixtures of butter and vegetable oil with the texture of margarine. Premium and imported brands from the grocery store didn't approach the experience I remembered either. Most tasted waxy, grainy, or dull, with no discernible finish. "

"Certainly the best cultured butters (sometimes labeled "European-style") possess a subtle tangy note that can add complexity, but the process does not assure a superior product. Some of the butters I enjoyed most happened to be of the uncultured, or the "sweet cream," variety. "

"Then there is the dilemma of salting. There are partisans on both sides; a lack of consensus exists even among the butter illuminati. Diane St. Clair doesn't make a salted variety. "I believe that the flavor shines through better without salt," she said. Grant Harrington of Ampersand Butter Culture in Oxfordshire, who furnishes some of London's top restaurants, considers the pink Himalayan salt he uses to be essential. "

"Harrington believes the key to a great butter lies in extreme culturing. “By fermenting the cream with a specific lactic bacteria that produces a blend of butyric acid and diacetyl—flavors our brains associate with butter—I aim to make it taste as buttery as possible," he said. He sources the bacteria from a lab in Scandinavia and ferments his cream for nearly a week. "

"I'm happy to report that the diminutive brick in the plain paper wrapper tasted as breathtaking as I remembered—a vast array of flavors and aromas blended into a seamless whole in the manner of a well-aged burgundy. After churning, Bordier's butter is kneaded in a 19th-century metal-and-teak contraption called a malaxeur (massager); this unusual extra step is the reason for its mouthfeel, as silky as foie gras. And then there's Bordier's uncommon balance of elegance and richness. No wonder the French phrase for making a prosperous living is faire son beurre. "

I dunno, goons, butter sounds like srs bznsssss :jerkbag:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Zeluth posted:

It is so simple to make your own ice cream, but who has the time, right? That said, anything with chunks of fruite and nuts is fine by me.

Opposite. I don't want to crank an ice cream maker for hours. That said, if you're at a B&J stand, it's pretty good, but you can easily nowadays get good oce cream and just rear end your own crap to it if you're home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Has anyone ever seen fig icecream? I bet it'd be nice.