Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a magical girl anime from 2011 that almost everyone has seen by now.
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story is the anime adaptation of the Madoka Magica spinoff mobile game (which originally launched in 2017 for Japan and 2019 for NA). The anime is being done by Shaft, with much of the staff from the original series also working on Magireco.

In exchange for the fulfillment of a wish, Magical Girls keep fighting, unbeknownst to the rest of the world. But Iroha Tamaki can't seem to remember her wish.

“When I became a Magical Girl, what did I wish for again?”

There is a gaping hole in her life.
Something important has been lost.
But she continues to fight every day, without even knowing why…

Then, a rumor begins to spread among Magical Girls.

“Magical Girls can be saved if they go to Kamihama.”

Kamihama City, the city where Magical Girls and Uwasa are gathering.
The story of Iroha Tamaki, in search of her lost wish, begins…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBhgPAIMhfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiRywvGitzs

Magia Record is set in an alternate universe/timeline from the original Madoka series, and features a new cast of magical girls from Kamihama City. The story is not a prequel or sequel to the original series, and does not require that the reader/viewer has seen the original. But it is definitely written with the assumption that most or all of its audience is familiar with the main story and plot twists from the original.

In general, I would say that the tone of the game is more lighthearted than the original series, but the main story, and especially the character back stories, feel very much like more Madoka. Also, while the anime is an adaptation of the game's first main story arc, there is (at least one) anime-only character, and there will probably be other changes to the story.

:siren:Season 2 info:siren:

Streaming: Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hidive all have it, but Crunchyroll/Hidive are on a 1-week delay.

astr0man posted:

Season 2 starts on July 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeVyUINxB0

Also they're splitting the remaining parts of main story arc 1 into two separate seasons, the "Final Season" will air late this year. (It sounds like it will be two short seasons rather than a full 12-13 eps for each?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/magireco/status/1408380449831981057

:siren:Spoiler rules:siren:
This thread is for discussing the anime. The thread in mobile games is pretty dead Any threads about the game are dead (as is the NA game itself), but for people who've played the game, please try and keep any plot or character spoiler discussion in this thread to a minimum (use common sense).

Magical Girls

(will add the rest of the main girls as the show progresses)

Iroha Tamaki (voiced by Momo Asakura)

Game PV
A Magical Girl who lives in Takarazaki City. Iroha is very responsible, but being overly considerate toward everyone around her, she does not fit in at school. Iroha cannot remember the wish she made when she became a Magical Girl, so she decides to go to Kamihama City to investigate a certain rumor that could provide her with answers.

Kuroe (voiced by Kana Hanazawa)

A Magical Girl who lives in Takarazaki City. Kuroe fights alongside Iroha from time to time, but mostly they’re acquaintances who get together on a regular basis to exchange information. Kuroe is afraid of fighting in life or death battles and wishes she could be saved from being a Magical Girl. She begins to become obsessed with Kamihama City after hearing a certain rumor.

Yachiyo Nanami (voiced by Sora Amamiya)

Game PV
A veteran Magical Girl in Kamihama City. Yachiyo is a college student who’s not affiliated with a team, preferring to instead work alone. She is very territorial and is strict toward Magical Girls from other areas, especially when their skills don’t measure up. Yachiyo has been documenting all of Kamihama City’s “rumors.”

Tsuruno Yui (voiced by Shiina Natsukawa)

Game PV
A reckless Magical Girl who's full of energy. Tsuruno loves her family, especially her grandfather and great-grandfather, who lead the Yuis to their former prosperity. She fights to become the strongest Magical Girl in order to restore the Yui name.

Felicia Mitsuki (voiced by Ayane Sakura)

Game PV
Felicia is a spirited Magical Girl, full of energy and determination, who hates Witches for taking the lives of her parents. She now works as a mercenary, hunting Witches all across Kamihama. Her tough talk hides a kind heart and a love of animals.

Sana Futaba (voiced by Yui Ogura)

Game PV
A pessimistic Magical Girl, Sana was rejected by her family and those around her, so she has hardly any self-confidence. However, she'll quietly stand by the people who need her, ready to help them when the time comes.

Momoko Togame (voiced by Mikako Komatsu)

A Magical Girl who is always looking out for rookies. The middle child, Momoko was influenced by her two brothers' boyishness, but she loves cute, girly things like stuffed animals. Because she loves cute things she's also a fan of female idols.

Rena Minami (voiced by Kaori Ishihara)

A Magical Girl who has trouble opening up to others. Rena acts cocky to make up for her lack of self-confidence, which leads people who don't know her well to misunderstanding her. She's a picky eater and loves sweets. She is also a big fan of idols.

Kaede Akino (voiced by Ayaka Ohashi)

A worrywart, Kaede is easily scared. She is also kind, caring, and ready to take risks for her friends. She loves animals, plants, and insects, and nature in general. She enjoys gardening, and though she's not good at them, she likes UFO Catchers.

What happened to the game

The NA/English server was shut down in September 2020.

The JP game is still around, and Main Story Arc 2 is still ongoing (the anime is an adaptation of Arc 1). A new Chinese server was also started around the time that NA died, and is somewhere in Arc 1 (afaik they are going at a "normal" pace instead of the super accelerated schedule from NA's iteration).

If you are interested in playing on the JP server, r/magiarecord has a good installation guide. There are also guides for playing on the CN server but I don't know anything about that.

There is a partial English fan-translation patch available for the android version of the JP game (that works on the common emulators as well) provided by https://rayshift.io/ (FGO fan/translation community). For info on installing it you need to join their discord. Everything that was available at the end of NA is patched into the JP client, and there is ongoing fan translation for the JP only content.

Full disclosure, I play on JP but haven't personally tried the rayshift/kamihama patch since I play on iOS. But in general the magia record community vouches for it, but it does require installing custom/patched APKs so ymmv

Links

Website | Twitter
Magia Record: Playing Gacha is Suffering - Dead mobile games thread
Let's All Be Magical Girls! - General magical girl thread
Madoka Magica: Gen Urobuchi Wants to Warm Your Heart - The original Madoka anime thread (requires archives)
the new Madoka Magica thread - The most recent Madoka thread (closed but should not require archives)

astr0man fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You forgot Kyubey OP

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can you punch Kyubey in the game?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The game has some magical girls that punch things, but unfortunately kyubey is not one of the things that gets punched

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Good first episode. Not sure how far the anime original stuff will go, but just seeing game scenes animated already feels like enough justification for me to watch. I love the mobile game, but the visuals are not terribly exciting, whereas Shaft can certainly be counted on to make things interesting.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kyubaby.

I'm going in with flat expectations and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. So far, so good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So do we know if this is one cour, or two? I've heard different answers from different people who all seem equally confident.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's either 1 or split, there's 13 eps listed for this season

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I played the mobage until it got to the point where you needed to grind for free or pay real bucks, I think it was after Chapter 4ish? I'll know once the anime gets to the point.

Looks like a wonderful adaptation so far - the aesthetic sensibilities carried over, with the whole beautiful city, amazing school architecture, the Witches so far, etc. I wasn't that big of a fan of the characters outside of Iroha and Tsuruno, so hopefully we get some of the minor side characters, but who am I kidding

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah, I doubt that we'll get to see very many of the characters outside of Iroha and co. For what it's worth, I thought that the one scene with all of the wishes at the end of the first episode was a nice touch for game players.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kyubey is still a little bitch who needs to die I see.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Super Jay Mann posted:

Kyubey is still a little bitch who needs to die I see.

Would it be Madoka if he wasn't?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Solid second episode, I liked that they threw in another side character reference with the Rena/Ren transformation

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Some very nice transformation sequences this week. So far the anime has done a good job of fixing the slow/meandering pacing issues from the game. I was kind of hoping we'd get to see a bit more of the Momoko/Rena/Kaede back story stuff, but the side story lines they did use in this weeks ep fit really well.

also there's a post-credits scene this week

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I've heard some complaints about the plot for this episode being a bit rushed, especially with Rena's backstory. As a mobile game player I was very happy with the episode, but I think I'm filling in gaps without realizing it because I already understand these characters.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I haven't played the game, but I assume that all unanswered questions in Madoka hide a terrible secret. On that basis, I count more looming disasters than episodes so far. So that's cool.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

astr0man posted:

Some very nice transformation sequences this week. So far the anime has done a good job of fixing the slow/meandering pacing issues from the game. I was kind of hoping we'd get to see a bit more of the Momoko/Rena/Kaede back story stuff, but the side story lines they did use in this weeks ep fit really well.

also there's a post-credits scene this week
the minute-long transformation montage kinda damaged the pacing, imo. it felt a little like an ad for those characters in the mobage.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Elephant Parade posted:

the minute-long transformation montage kinda damaged the pacing, imo. it felt a little like an ad for those characters in the mobage.

that's fair, when I mentioned the pacing it's I was talking about how the game really drags out the plot beats (because it has to spread it across however many battle nodes per story chapter) and a lot of times you end up with multiple strings of nodes in a row where nothing really happens

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's not fair. if you have anything less than the deepest respect for well-done transformation scenes in magical girl shows then get out

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I haven't played the game, but I assume that all unanswered questions in Madoka hide a terrible secret. On that basis, I count more looming disasters than episodes so far. So that's cool.
Here's my thinking so far, naively. I'm sure everyone in the know can have a good chuckle about how wrong I am.

1) Ui. This is the obvious one, since the main storyline is all about her. It doesn't seem like she disappeared as a result of Iroha's wish backfiring, so it must have been something else. Who, what, and why? Certain disaster awaits.
2) Kyubey Prime's intercity scheming. This speaks for itself. Certain disaster awaits.
3) Tiny Kyubey. A wildcard. It seems like he only appears inside Labyrinths. Probable disaster awaits.
4) Yachiyo. She looks much older than any magical girl we've seen before, and her name sounds pretty old-fashioned. What's up with that? Also: the ED is all about her. Curious. Certain disaster awaits.
5) The Coordinator. This is the most interesting one to me. What a weirdo. What's her deal? How much does she know about magical girls? If she knows everything, how can she be so breezy? And if she doesn't, how did she get to be in that position? And her name. Even by the standards of anime characters, "Mitama Yakumo" sounds made-up. She's very suspicious. I've got my eyes on her. Catastrophic disaster awaits.

Some of these are probably different facets of the same disaster. Time will tell.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
[in the theaters in 2013] gee i dunno guys, i think they just put this montage in to get us to buy the limited edition of the psp game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

that's... just magical girl anime.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the 3-ep intro arc was rad imo. i loved how whatever is going on with the girls' despair (which i assume plays into how doppels are formed later) puts a fresh spin on the tsundere char.

the last half of ep 3 is almost parallel to the whole section of Rebellion w/ homura's witch form. love to see it

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

If she knows everything, how can she be so breezy? And if she doesn't, how did she get to be in that position? And her name. Even by the standards of anime characters, "Mitama Yakumo" sounds made-up. She's very suspicious. I've got my eyes on her. Catastrophic disaster awaits.

She doesn't know everything, she just knows what she knows.

(VA joke)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

She doesn't know everything, she just knows what she knows.

(VA joke)
It's a good thing you said that's a joke, or I might have mistaken it for a real clue and tacked it to my conspiracy board. Right beside the note about the name "Ui" being a reference to the same poem as "Iroha".

You know, when I was compiling that list of impending catastrophes, I somehow left out all the stuff about rumours, even though it's the most obvious of them all. And the word "Uwasa" has appeared as a proper noun in a couple of places. Yachiyo gestured at an answer in this episode, so I guess I wasn't thinking about it. Classic mistake. Of course it'll get worse.

I left out Kamihama's Witch population and Anti-Kyubey Field on purpose, because anything that causes trouble for him is probably a good thing.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What are some magical girl anime that can even compete with Madoka's transformation sequences? The ones in this and Rebellion are amazing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cephas posted:

What are some magical girl anime that can even compete with Madoka's transformation sequences? The ones in this and Rebellion are amazing.

Symphogear last season had some amazing transformations but the true champ since 2004 has been Precure

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

that's... just magical girl anime.
That's fair, I guess. To be clear, I don't have a problem with transformation sequences; I just didn't like that they played all of them in a row, because it felt flow-breaking to have four separate abstract sequences play sequentially over two minutes.

e: and the weirdness of that was what made me go "oh there might be an ulterior motive here"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What I expected to see this episode that I got: More pretty visuals, magical girl battles, and an unsettling atmosphere.

What I didn't expect to see this episode that I got: Someone putting ketchup on their cheesecake :stonk:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Super Jay Mann posted:

What I expected to see this episode that I got: More pretty visuals, magical girl battles, and an unsettling atmosphere.

What I didn't expect to see this episode that I got: Someone putting ketchup on their cheesecake :stonk:

I thought that as well, but cherry topping also comes in similar squeezable containers so maybe it was that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

That's fair, I guess. To be clear, I don't have a problem with transformation sequences; I just didn't like that they played all of them in a row, because it felt flow-breaking to have four separate abstract sequences play sequentially over two minutes.

e: and the weirdness of that was what made me go "oh there might be an ulterior motive here"
no seriously thats just magical girl anime, precure plays two minute of transformation sequences every episode. if theres an ulterior motive, its probably just saving time on animation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

no seriously thats just magical girl anime, precure plays two minute of transformation sequences every episode. if theres an ulterior motive, its probably just saving time on animation.

I mean that was probably the original reason. Reusing 2 minutes of footage over the course of a 48+ episode series is probably a life saver for meeting time lines and not having animators go completely crazy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also Henshins are neat and I like watching them

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought that as well, but cherry topping also comes in similar squeezable containers so maybe it was that?

Zoom. Enhance.

I told you there's something wrong with her.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It’s definitely ketchup. It’s very in-character for Mitama to be doing weird poo poo with food.

I’m on vacation in jp this week so The Mightiest™ won’t make it into the op until I get home

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

if theres an ulterior motive, its probably just saving time on animation.

this is where shaft is and has just been ridiculous. madomagi TV had transformations they played like once each, then they gave them new ones for BD and then again for the movie remakes, and then they just went off in rebellion. and if they wanted to save any time here they'd have reused the mobage transformations. instead they went all out again.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

huh, good to know. I thought only the super cheap ones did that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

huh, good to know. I thought only the super cheap ones did that

Nah, if anything the expensive, well made ones get spammed even harder because they look rad as poo poo. Last year's Symphogear was as well-produced as a high-end shounen piece, and I'm pretty sure every single episode besides the finale had at least one if not multiple minute-and-a-half-to-two-minutes long transformation sequences in it - and fans had a great time with it because we thought the transformations were awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

astr0man posted:

It’s definitely ketchup. It’s very in-character for Mitama to be doing weird poo poo with food.
I might be the architect of my own disappointment here, because whatever's really going on with her, it probably won't be as exciting as the any of the conspiracy theories I'm devising on my own.

For all I know, the show might end before we learn anything about her at all. I wouldn't mind that either, really. Not all mysteries need answers.