Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

FractalSandwich posted:

Zoom. Enhance.

I told you there's something wrong with her.

I'm pretty sure she also tops the cheesecake with an umeboshi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Either an umeboshi or a meatball.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
People say Magia Record doesn't have the horror DNA the original series did, but that might be the most horrific scene yet.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

nice

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This episode was really, really good. Show's really finding its stride, IMO. I like Yachiyo a lot. She's obviously evocative of Homura, but the last couple episodes have done a really good job distinguishing her in some interesting ways.

Also the designs on the Not-Quite-Witch Forms we saw today are rad as poo poo, the show's definitely living up to the original series' aesthetic highs. Curious how they're going to explain that particular plot twist, though - it runs the risk of trivializing the danger of turning into a Witch

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Last episode felt it grinded its wheels a bit but this one went all-out on art, story and action and it rocked. I'm really curious about what's going on now, I hope the answers are as neat as the questions.

That said, Kaede, it's kind of late to focus on what's "normal". You're a magical girl, you crossed that line a while ago.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Yes the latest episode was really good. All of the monster designs were eerily frightening, and it managed to overcome one of the biggest flaws in the game's writing by dialing back down the conflict between Mami, Iroha, and Yachiyo. As for the twist possibly ruining the sense of danger around the possibility of turning into a witch, I don't think that will be an issue since (serious spoilers) much of the conflict of the series stems from the fact that the cult genuinely do offer a solution to a very serious problem (witchification) but resort to wickedness to accomplish it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You know you've got good times ahead when the thread suddenly turns into a CIA document. As if this episode wasn't ominous enough.

Just a few days ago, I said to someone: "It's interesting that Magia Record is focusing so much on completely new ideas, and just sitting on everything we know about Witches and only using it for dramatic irony. I wonder if it'll come back around to that..."

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
why do all the outfits of the underage kids show so much skin

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Aoki Ume really likes midriffs.

In other news I just noticed today that the anime release campaign quests run till June 30th. Which strongly implies the show really is two cours, because otherwise the quests would end around late march/early april.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Ueda Hajime's end card is not as stylish as his card in the original series, but I liked it all the same.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What's the significance of those pinwheel thingies that are associated with the fake Mifuyu? I knew enough to understand the Extremely Symbolic Spider Lilies in Rebellion, but this is beyond my ken.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't see them much but I kinda associate them with a longing for the past and childhood?

It fits with Yachiyo's issues, at least.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

How did I not hear about this before

I'd seen some sort of Mami-centric teaser ages ago, but I did not realize they were actually making a new series, much less one based on a mobile game I've never heard of

It's got the aesthetics down, definitely. But I'm not really feeling the characters yet. Honestly, most of them seem to have no real place in the story yet, or anymore. Thankfully, the two main girls seem most interesting... And I'm kinda waiting for the existential dread and hopelessness to kick in

Things do seem to head in that direction, I guess?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Torquemadras posted:

It's got the aesthetics down, definitely. But I'm not really feeling the characters yet. Honestly, most of them seem to have no real place in the story yet, or anymore. Thankfully, the two main girls seem most interesting... And I'm kinda waiting for the existential dread and hopelessness to kick in
It isn't supposed to be about the cast of the original series. It's a spinoff, not a sequel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Torquemadras posted:

How did I not hear about this before

I'd seen some sort of Mami-centric teaser ages ago, but I did not realize they were actually making a new series, much less one based on a mobile game I've never heard of

Things do seem to head in that direction, I guess?

The Gaiden in the name indicates it's a side story.

I'm pretty sure it is also takes place before the events of Madoka, so only 2 of the magical girls from that series will even be magical girls at this point.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Technically it starts a bit before the events in Madoka, but it's not a prequel. Basically the MR timeline does not lead directly into Madoka, it's its own separate thing entirely.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

astr0man posted:

Technically it starts a bit before the events in Madoka, but it's not a prequel. Basically the MR timeline does not lead directly into Madoka, it's its own separate thing entirely.
Everyone who knows the game says that, so I assume they'll contradict each other at some point, but from my point of view, they haven't yet.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Fun fact the witch that Kaede and co. struggled against was the witch Kyouko didn't bother killing back in the main series.

https://twitter.com/llNekoLunall/status/1223678051642478592

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I thought it looked...

...familiar.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
On the off chance that there are any dub-only viewers passing through, this is up to episode 6: Yachiyo seems awfully blase about this whole "Iroha summoning a Witch as a Persona and having her soul gem mysteriously clear up" thing. I wonder what those "adjustments" Mitama makes are, exactly...

I also rewatched the first episode, since the dub started, and it seems to imply that she's responsible for taking care of used grief seeds, too? Bad vibes, man. As a lifelong Touhou tragic, I'm primed to be suspicious of mysterious women called "Yakumo", but Mitama is really suspicious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show feels like it suffers a lot for trying to stuff in as many game characters as possible. The curse of the mobage ad series.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It does let you really see just how many people's lives Kyubey has hosed up in a way that we haven't before, and I think there's something to be said for that. But the trick of the original series was to convince you that even though magical girls live brief and insignificant lives in a vast and uncaring cosmos, every one of them is still irreplaceable, and it didn't get there just by playing Tragic Backstory Mad Libs.

I think Magia Record is doing more than that, to be clear. Just maybe not with Felicia. I already feel like I completely understand what her deal is. In the original series, that would mean she's about to die, but I don't think this is that kind of show. I don't know much about the game, but I'm pretty sure it's not a roguelike.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sindai posted:

This show feels like it suffers a lot for trying to stuff in as many game characters as possible. The curse of the mobage ad series.

Certainly feels a lot more generic, honestly. Especially now that we have a million magical girls running around

Why are you here, fire fan girl

Can we just check off your tragic gimmick and be done with it

Like, is there anything else going on with you

:smith:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/fawtGF/status/1226419346525704192

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how’s the dub of this so far? Also did Cassandra Lee reprise her role as Kyubey?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another old friend pops up in this week’s episode, this time it’s Kyouko. Also is it true that this is only going to be 13 episodes?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 16, 2020

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Also is it true that this is only going to be 13 episodes?

No one seems to know for sure. The reports saying it's a one cour show are based on the fact that the current bluray sale listings are for 13 episodes worth of bluray releases.

But on the other hand, the mobile game is currently running an anime release promotion, with bonuses each weekend coinciding with each new episode. Some of the promotion content is scheduled to run through June, which seems to imply that the show will be 2 cours.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well 13 episodes would only just be slightly longer than the original series was but then again we’re 7 episodes in now and it doesn’t really feel like the show is rushing towards some kind of conclusion yet either. We’ll see of course.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I heard that if you visit the official website between 3 and 4 AM, it'll tell you all about the second cour.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

It's almost certainly 25 episodes, imo. 13 wouldn't be enough to cover the first arc, and (as of chapter eight of ten) there isn't a clear stopping place within that arc. Could be a split cour, though

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Scuttlebutt I've heard all seems to suggest split-cour.

It doesn't sound like they've booked the broadcasting slot for the Spring season, at the very least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, how’s the Magia Record dub so far (also is Kyubey still voiced by the same woman who played him in the English version of Madoka)?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, how’s the Magia Record dub so far (also is Kyubey still voiced by the same woman who played him in the English version of Madoka)?
He is. She's still got it.

Two episodes isn't a lot to go on, but it seems alright, as far as these things go.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

does shaft still have that other Definitely Not Madoka show scheduled for later this year?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

does shaft still have that other Definitely Not Madoka show scheduled for later this year?

Wait, what other show?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Something that's really bothering me of this series is entirely on the subs, namely "Uwasa". Not only does it have a perfectly usable translation ("rumour") but said translation is used consistently for the proper rumours...until they're talking about the monsters, in which case they all mysteriously know their true name apparently even though they're logically only sticking with calling them rumours. It's an incredibly weird way to sub that and I have to wonder if it's because the game does the same or what.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The NA version of the game uses "Uwasa" when referring to the monsters and just "rumor" when discussing rumors in general. I think in the original JP, the game uses kana "ウワサ " when referring to the monsters, as opposed to the actual kanji for the word rumor.

I guess they could have gone with capital-R "Rumor" instead, but I don't really have a problem with just using "Uwasa" to differentiate the two in English, especially in a text-heavy game context.

e: In the game, it's also explicitly explained that Iroha/Yachiyo decide to call the monsters "Uwasa" since they come from special rumors, to differentiate them from witches, but that got glossed over in the anime.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 17, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm enjoying watching how utterly worthless Iroha has been this entire show in actual battle. Forget Kamihama witches, I don't even know how she managed to stay alive in her own area.

Felicia and Kyouko rocking the hell out of the witch swarm was great on the other hand :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Part of her problem is she has a ranged weapon and apparently no ability to lead targets. If she only had a homing crossbow or something, I don't know it's magic, we could watch her shots ineffectually bounce off of witches more often.