Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
A master class in visual continuity, with Shaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Strong monogatari vibes coming off that pile of chairs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Strong monogatari vibes coming off that pile of chairs.

Love me some SHAFT.

The one issue I have with the show right now is how frenetic the plot threads are. I'm sure it will all end up getting wrapped up at some point, but the show sure seems to like throwing out mysteries and then almost immediately ignoring them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I never played the game but does it eventually settle on to some kind of consistent plot or antagonist? I’m enjoying the show so far but there just doesn’t seem to be too much in the way of a cohesive story yet.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Larryb posted:

I never played the game but does it eventually settle on to some kind of consistent plot or antagonist? I’m enjoying the show so far but there just doesn’t seem to be too much in the way of a cohesive story yet.
yes

had madoka 1 settled on a consistent plot or antagonist at this point

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elephant Parade posted:

yes

had madoka 1 settled on a consistent plot or antagonist at this point

The original series pretty clearly settled on Kyuubey and "the system" as the antagonists by episode 7.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, I'd say we have a pretty clear villain by this point - the OG show's witches are still around and dangerous, but the Rumors that the bulk of the show's conflict revolves around clearly have something to do with the Wings Of Magius cult we met last episode - and given that the weird pseudo-witch transformation thing we've seen Iroha and Kaede undergo a few times also seems to prevent them from becoming actual witches, it seems fair to assume that whatever's causing that has *something* to do with Magius' ominous grumblings about "saving" magical girls. We just don't have a clear idea what that actually entails or costs yet, or what Magius itself is.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Here's the situation, as I understand it.

Couldn't be simpler.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

No matter how good or bad this will ultimately turn out

I love that there is an Anti Kyubey field

Which, unfortunately, is keeping the absolute best character of the entire franchise out of the story. GOOD JOB

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We have mini Kyubey which is either half Kyubey or a neutron concentration of Kyubei

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We have mini Kyubey which is either half Kyubey or a neutron concentration of Kyubei

...and doesn't talk, removing the entire appeal of that little rear end in a top hat master of half-truths

Maybe he will eventually :shrug:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

...and doesn't talk, removing the entire appeal of that little rear end in a top hat master of half-truths

Maybe he will eventually :shrug:
If Rebellion is anything to go by, he's an expert at going without a speaking part for half the story, then making up for it in spades.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t care about spoilers but for those who played the game, what exactly is Kyubey’s role in this story? Is it meant to be the same one from Madoka?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Pretty sure the one that tells Mami that there's something weird going on in Kamihama is supposed to be the same Kyubey from the original Madoka.

wrt small Kyubey (game spoilers):
it's the player insert character, and does not play a significant role at all in the main story up to the point the NA/english game is currently at other than what we've also seen in the show (i.e. being vaguely connected to Rumors and Kamihama weirdness for some unknown reason). But supposedly small kyubey does become more relevant by the end of the main story arc according to people who played JP.

Aside from the main story, Kyubey (not specifically the one from Madoka I guess) does show up in several of the character specific side episodes (which for the most part are just what __ character wished for/how they became a magical girl), and is generally just as manipulative/exploitative as in the original series when it comes to convincing characters to become magical girls.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

9 episodes in: Iroha still comically ineffectual in battle, although at least this time she bothered to fire a shot! Haven't seen that since what, episode 4?

I wasn't expecting a "robotic entity learns to become human via the power of friendship" story in this universe but there we go I guess. I was pondering for a bit what her wish could have been to have interpreted to make her become that "invisible girl" until it ended up being... "make me invisible." Huh, okay.

Kyubey, that little poo poo, he's probably always wondering what goes on in the minds of these girls.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The delivery on that episode was fantastic and I'm enjoying this show a lot. Hope the rumors of it being split-cour are true.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

9 episodes in: Iroha still comically ineffectual in battle, although at least this time she bothered to fire a shot! Haven't seen that since what, episode 4?

I wasn't expecting a "robotic entity learns to become human via the power of friendship" story in this universe but there we go I guess. I was pondering for a bit what her wish could have been to have interpreted to make her become that "invisible girl" until it ended up being... "make me invisible." Huh, okay.

Kyubey, that little poo poo, he's probably always wondering what goes on in the minds of these girls.

It doesn't seem like the universe goes out of its way to subvert your wish itself, Monkey's Paw style. I guess it doesn't have to. Even a perfectly fulfilled wish in the present doesn't guarantee a happy future. Especially when it means fighting Witches for the rest of your life. Even in the best case, you probably won't live to enjoy it for long.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

FractalSandwich posted:

It doesn't seem like the universe goes out of its way to subvert your wish itself, Monkey's Paw style. I guess it doesn't have to. Even a perfectly fulfilled wish in the present doesn't guarantee a happy future. Especially when it means fighting Witches for the rest of your life. Even in the best case, you probably won't live to enjoy it for long.
How did it subvert her wish? She wished to become invisible. She became invisible. Turns out being invisible kinda sucks!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elephant Parade posted:

How did it subvert her wish? She wished to become invisible. She became invisible. Turns out being invisible kinda sucks!

I'm pretty sure that's their point. There's no reason to subvert a wish because these wishes are being made by teenagers in heavily emotional moments, so they'll go wrong no matter what. And even if they did go right, the girls would either die against a Witch or turn into one sooner than later.

Sana is just an incredibly direct example of wishing for the wrong thing and then only continuing her suffering thanks to it, but it's not the first or only example of this kind of thing happening. Kyubey's job is really, really easy.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure that's their point. There's no reason to subvert a wish because these wishes are being made by teenagers in heavily emotional moments, so they'll go wrong no matter what. And even if they did go right, the girls would either die against a Witch or turn into one sooner than later.

Sana is just an incredibly direct example of wishing for the wrong thing and then only continuing her suffering thanks to it, but it's not the first or only example of this kind of thing happening. Kyubey's job is really, really easy.
Oh, that was totally my bad. I misread the post.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Whelp Mami now a member of the both the Shocking anime betrayal and shocking anime death club

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I get it now. I should have figured it out sooner. The reason everyone says this is an alternate timeline is because the characters all have smartphones, when in the original series they had flip phones.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Was it just me, or did the animation look a little...off this episode? The models/still frames looked fine, but the movement and action at the beginning of the episode were super awkward.

Also, I'm 90% sure Mami is just a spy trying to figure out wtf is going on. It is obvious she still thinks the Wing of the Magius are just using witches (which they are) instead of also being in on the fact that witch/shoujo hybrids are starting to pop up. If she was really aware of that, she'd probably rampage out like in the timeline she straight merc'd Kyoko and tried to off the rest of the group.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something incredibly adorable about Yachiyo smiling as much as she did this episode. It's a nice change and shows how close she's grown to the rest of the girls.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's interesting to see a shadowy cult dedicated to opposing the machinations of an eldritch monstrosity from the furthest reaches of the cosmos. Normally they'd worship it. The Wings of the Incubator.

It's not hard to see why people join them, either. Destroying Witches and saving magical girls sounds like a genuinely nice idea. And the more you know about what it means to be a magical girl, the more eggs you might be willing to break to make that particular omelette.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
We're not exactly cruising toward a clean, happy ending here, are we?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

We're not exactly cruising toward a clean, happy ending here, are we?

Has it been confirmed how many episodes this show is going to be yet?

While I’m still enjoying this series it does seem a little more episodic than Madoka was (complete with monster of the week style plots). The plot has definitely started kicking in at this point though and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I never played the game but do the two basically have the same general story or is the anime branching out and doing its own thing?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There've been changes for the anime, but it's generally followed along with the game. I still haven't seen anything about confirmed episode counts, but at the rate things are moving now, 13 episodes would put the show roughly around the halfway point for the game's main story arc.

e: technically we're already at the start of chapter 6 out of 10, but the later chapters are longer than the earlier ones

astr0man fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 15, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, is the game any good and how do the actual gameplay sections work (like is it turn based combat or something along those lines)?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's a turn based/card deck RPG, the combat kind of works like in FGO if you're familiar with that

(you can play the game at double speed so the animations dont take forever like in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OTn_h5ZhEE&t=46s

Whether or not the game is good is probably dependent on your tolerance for grindy mobile/gacha games. Personally, I think the story content is good (especially the character specific side and event stories), but the game itself is a pretty average mobile RPG.

Lord Superchrome
Aug 8, 2012

astr0man posted:

There've been changes for the anime, but it's generally followed along with the game. I still haven't seen anything about confirmed episode counts, but at the rate things are moving now, 13 episodes would put the show roughly around the halfway point for the game's main story arc.

e: technically we're already at the start of chapter 6 out of 10, but the later chapters are longer than the earlier ones

The original series didn't really start poppin' off until the 6th or 7th episode (of 13), but does that mean we're just going to keep shopping for mugs for the rest of the season?

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Lord Superchrome posted:

The original series didn't really start poppin' off until the 6th or 7th episode (of 13), but does that mean we're just going to keep shopping for mugs for the rest of the season?

No, I think this is probably the last episode where we will see more slice of life stuff. If not, it should only last for an episode or two longer, as chapters 7, 8 & the part of chapter 9 that has released so far are nearly all action or exposition.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Apparently we are only getting 12 episodes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astr0man posted:

Apparently we are only getting 12 episodes

Seriously? That would put us at the same episode count as the original series but it doesn’t really feel like we’re approaching anything resembling a conclusion just yet.

But since the mobile game is still going maybe we’ll get a second season eventually (or at least a movie).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The official site lists DVDs for 13, though?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I guess the game campaign dates are in the middle of the week, so it could be ending the weekend after instead of the weekend before.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FractalSandwich posted:

The official site lists DVDs for 13, though?

Probably the usual 12 + OVA thing

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The listing there doesn't differentiate the 13th episode in any way, but maybe that's normal too. I dunno. I don't usually go to Japanese sites to find this stuff out.

Either way, if it's really only one cour, that means there multiple characters in the OP who only show up in either the very last or last two episodes. Or maybe not at all. Which strikes me as bizarre. Especially when none of the Wings are in the OP at all, I don't think?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

The listing there doesn't differentiate the 13th episode in any way, but maybe that's normal too. I dunno. I don't usually go to Japanese sites to find this stuff out.

Either way, if it's really only one cour, that means there multiple characters in the OP who only show up in either the very last or last two episodes. Or maybe not at all. Which strikes me as bizarre.

Yeah, it just feels a little too soon for me considering the somewhat slower pace the plot seems to be moving at this time around. Hopefully the ending won’t feel too rushed in that case.

And like I said, as far as I know the story of the mobile game is still ongoing so maybe we’ll get a second season eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
We should start a Metal Gear Solid 5 "Never Be Game Over"-style conspiracy theory that this is all just a ruse. We'll say that the "last" episode is secretly timed to coincide with a massive content drop in the game, along with the reveal of the second cour, as part of some transcendental cross-media masterstroke that will blow your mind and totally challenge your preconceptions of, like, what an anime even is, maaaaan.