Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

And Iroha’s officially back in action, we got a bit more of the OG gang this time as well.

I forget, how long is the current season going to be again (I know they said a while ago that they were splitting it into two parts)?

8 eps this season with 4 more coming in December IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if they’re going to stop after the first arc or carry on to the next one (the mobile game’s still going in Japan after all).

If the former, does the current story at least have a fairly conclusive ending in the game?

In regards to this specific episode, the Magius are making Kyubei look almost pleasant by comparison (at least he had the excuse of having no understanding of human morality)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 21, 2021

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Larryb posted:

In regards to this specific episode, the Magius are making Kyubei look almost pleasant by comparison (at least he had the excuse of having no understanding of human morality)

I'm not sure Mitama understands human morality either. She's definitely not human herself, I don't think. If she is a non-magical-girl human with supernatural powers, that's a major mystery in itself. We've never seen that before.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Madoka Magica has always been strongest when it grounds its emotions and artistic flair in an examination of material exploitation. The gradual reveal that humans/MGs are merely a source of cheap energy for the Kyuubeys*. Indeed, Magius are basically doing the same thing, they head off their own exploitation by predating upon and exploiting normal humans. If there's no free lunch, you go out and take someone else's lunch.

*The continued belief that the Kyuubeys were ever staving off the heat death of the universe is what we in the business call a deception. Humans are an immense source of energy, and so were exploited for as much as possible until their consequences made it no longer feasible. At that point the QBs peace out and find another undeveloped planet to exploit. This is not a sustainable practice by definition.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, are any of the Madoka related manga worth a read (assuming they’ve been translated that is)?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Four episodes in, and I'm still impressed by the sakuga they've been able to cram into these fights.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

If the former, does the current story at least have a fairly conclusive ending in the game?

Yeah, in the game arc 1 has a clear ending.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Larryb posted:

On another note, are any of the Madoka related manga worth a read (assuming they’ve been translated that is)?

The Different Story is a Mami-Kyouko-centric prequel and probably the best of the Madoka spinoffs, coming drat close to the emotional highs & lows of the original series. I haven't read Tart Magica, but it focuses on Joan of Arc and the consensus seems to be that it's the spinoff that best tells its own story without relying on the plot beats of the OG series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astr0man posted:

Yeah, in the game arc 1 has a clear ending.

Does the second arc follow directly from the first one or is it a completely separate story (and assuming they just stop after arc 1, what’s it about out of curiosity)?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It follows from the first one, but it's a pretty separate story. Basically, arc 1 is about Iroha & co dealing with the Magius in Kamihama. Arc 2 is about the long term affects/aftermath of the stuff that goes down in arc 1, and how the those events impacted magical girls in general (the main antagonists in arc 2 come from outside of Kamihama)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kyoko status: Still awesome

Also I liked the live action mouth (or it looked that way anyway) on Embryo Eve, sort of added to the creepiness factor.

I still continue to maintain my stance that the Magius (or a lot of them anyway) are arguably just as bad if not worse than the Incubators though (speaking of which, is it explained in the game whether the leaders of the cult are even actually human for that matter?)

At this point I’m assuming the final boss will either be Eve or the same one from Madoka (since they mention at the end that they’re trying to summon said witch)

3 episodes left now and then we go on a slight hiatus until December.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 28, 2021

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Larryb posted:

I still continue to maintain my stance that the Magius (or a lot of them anyway) are arguably just as bad if not worse than the Incubators though (speaking of which, is it explained in the game whether the leaders of the cult are even actually human for that matter?)

You're absolutely supposed to think this, considering the show is very explicit with the fascist imagery surrounding them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

You're absolutely supposed to think this, considering the show is very explicit with the fascist imagery surrounding them.

True, I'm just hoping that unlike the Incubators this particular group of monsters winds up getting what they deserve.

Out of curiosity, why are they splitting the season in half like this as opposed to airing all 12 episodes in a single run?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Show continues to impress. I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting much since I thought the first season was merely good, saving itself there at the end with the awesome showdown at the Hotel. But this season has been killer from the get-go.

Also, I really like them going back to the Faustian motif with that poem in the post-credits scene.

Larryb posted:

True, I'm just hoping that unlike the Incubators this particular group of monsters winds up getting what they deserve.

Out of curiosity, why are they splitting the season in half like this as opposed to airing all 12 episodes in a single run?

IIRC, it was due to production delays, and instead of letting the quality go to poo poo (e.g.; Spider), they decided to delay the second part and give themselves some room to expand the plot. (Isn't it supposed to be 15 episodes or something like that?) Which seems like a great idea because things seems rather dense at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Show continues to impress. I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting much since I thought the first season was merely good, saving itself there at the end with the awesome showdown at the Hotel. But this season has been killer from the get-go.

Also, I really like them going back to the Faustian motif with that poem in the post-credits scene.

IIRC, it was due to production delays, and instead of letting the quality go to poo poo (e.g.; Spider), they decided to delay the second part and give themselves some room to expand the plot. (Isn't it supposed to be 15 episodes or something like that?) Which seems like a great idea because things seems rather dense at this point.

I’d heard 8 episodes for the first part and 4 for the second but I could be wrong. That makes sense though.

I am still kind of curious if they’re going to do an anime adaption of the second story arc from the game later or just stop with the first.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I was enough of a dork to step through the preview at the very end of the first season and read all the text that flashes up for one frame at a time, and even though the Eve Awakening Project gets a mention in there, I still completely failed to recognise the pun in the name of the second season until now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This series is cursed every time Walpurgisnacht gets depicted a gigantic natural disaster threatens millions of lives.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another good episode, this season has really been firing on all cylinders so far (compared to the first one which seemed to follow kind of a MOTW setup at first). I’m glad the OG gals seem a bit more involved this time as well.

Just two episodes left now until we go on hiatus for a few months correct?

Also out of curiously, is the Magia Record anime done by the same general staff that was behind Madoka?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 4, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiously, is the Magia Record anime done by the same general staff that was behind Madoka?

It's still Shaft. But Shinbo is just the animation supervisor instead of the writer/co-director. Instead you have Doroinu as writer/director with Yukihiro Miyamoto reprising as co-director.

As for the episode, I thought a lot of the action sequences were pretty janky. All the still frames looked great but the movement on the field was off, especially when the truck was tossed into the air. They just kind of land like nothing happened and Yachiyo has this doofy emotion-neutral smile on her face.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Inoue still involved with Magia Record at all like he was with Madoka?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the gang’s all here, good episode this week. Next time is the last one before the show goes on hiatus for a few months right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This isn't where I expected Mitama to go. I had her pegged as an "even if I'm wrong, I've gone too far to turn back now" type of tragic villain, but she sure turned around in a hurry.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FractalSandwich posted:

This isn't where I expected Mitama to go. I had her pegged as an "even if I'm wrong, I've gone too far to turn back now" type of tragic villain, but she sure turned around in a hurry.

I never really considered a villain. But, then, I have a soft spot for morally gray neutral parties because there's almost always something in their past that makes them look out for #1.

Also, that ending. :stare: Madoka immediately realizing what's going on and dive bombing into Sayaka was great.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 13, 2021

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Just posting to say I finally got around to watching the first episode of this. I was putting it off because I didn't think I'd be interested in a spin-off with the events of Rebellion still unresolved, but I can already feel myself being pulled in. I didn't realize how much I missed the surreal visuals both in the real and supernatural worlds. I'm gonna try to catch-up quick as I can.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Finally got caught up on the last couple episodes, it's a shame about the production issues w/episode 6, but overall this season has still been really good. I'm glad the main Chelation Land story beats have ended up making it into the anime, wasn't sure what they would do with it when S2 first started getting more independent of the game stuff.

Larryb posted:

Next time is the last one before the show goes on hiatus for a few months right?

Right

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know when exactly in December the show is scheduled to return?

Also what happened with episode 6 production wise?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

quote:

Also what happened with episode 6 production wise?

I was just talking about the general drop in animation quality in ep 6. I don't know about any specific issues with the production, but I'm assuming it's related to whatever led them to split the season up.

And no, I don't think there's been any more news on when the final season will drop other than "late 2021"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The mobile game does have a second story arc so I wonder if they’ll adapt that one day as well (though if not, at least the first one ends pretty conclusively from what I hear).

There’s also the fourth Madoka movie coming out at some point but as far as I’m aware we still have zero info on it.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

There's also Scene 0, which no one is sure what it is other than some Magia Record related animation project.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Episode 8 is going to be delayed a week until the 25th, there will be some kind of recap episode aired in its place this weekend.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Finally caught up. I knew as soon as they said removing an Uwasa involved knowing what the possessed person was really like that things were going to go wrong. Madoka even had a concerned reaction when Sayaka said something along the lines of "we know how kind and cool Mami is". If Tsuruno got this messed up from a failed attempt, I'm dreading what happened to Mami.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has there been any official word as to how long a hiatus we’re in for after next week’s episode? I know they said the final stretch would begin in late 2021 so I imagine it can’t be more than a month or two.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

4 eps coming in December I believe, barring any more production issues - which, it should be noted, are sadly a very real possibility.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was it just me or were parts of this episode missing subtitles?

Decent finale though, see you around December or so for the final stretch (unless they decide to adapt the second arc one day that is).

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Larryb posted:

Was it just me or were parts of this episode missing subtitles?

Decent finale though, see you around December or so for the final stretch (unless they decide to adapt the second arc one day that is).
It was absolutely, positively not just you.

During the play segment, none of the narration was subtitled. Absolutely none of it. Dozens of important lines from Tsuruno which are key to understanding her character and making this moment land—all off-limits unless you know Japanese. Meanwhile, the dialogue of the "actors" and "spectators" was fully subtitled, as was the rest of the episode. I have genuinely no idea how that possibly could have happened; the only apparent difference between the narration and the rest of the dialogue is the funny voice filter it has.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I guess this kind of explains it?

https://twitter.com/kiyuri_P/status/1441844054635925515

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That sucks, hope they either go back and fix it and/or this season gets a dub at some point.

So does anyone here know the gist of what Tsuruno was saying during those subtitleless scenes then?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Larryb posted:

That sucks, hope they either go back and fix it and/or this season gets a dub at some point.

So does anyone here know the gist of what Tsuruno was saying during those subtitleless scenes then?
If it's anything like the game, she wanted to be the shining beacon of hope Yachiyo and the others saw her as and forced herself never to so much as frown, no matter how stressed she really felt. Of course, as the team fell apart and the stresses piled on, she broke down.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elephant Parade posted:

If it's anything like the game, she wanted to be the shining beacon of hope Yachiyo and the others saw her as and forced herself never to so much as frown, no matter how stressed she really felt. Of course, as the team fell apart and the stresses piled on, she broke down.

There's a bit of that, but it's primarily a comparison on how both Yachiyo and Tsuruno wanted to be strong and how much they blame themselves for the tragedies befalling the group. The two big straws to break the camel's back were Meru biting it after Yachiyo told Tsuruno to stay behind to help her family at the restaraunt and Mifuyu abandoning the group. Tsuruno blames herself for Meru's death for being so weak, and Yachiyo's emotional break due to Mifuyu leads Tsuruno to go all OG Sayaka, just pushing herself to the physical limit because she has to be strong, right?

It was a good episode. Double pink power got the episode's sakuga budget. :v: And Homura's face when it's reported Walpurgisnacht is diverting back to Mitakihara was great.

Edit: Oh, and that last bit with Kuroe was peak Madoka despair set-up. I'm pretty excited for the remaining part since it looks to revolve around Kuroe being out of place in the anime.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Well, I guess I'm just gonna wait until Funimation/some kind fansubber decide to actually translate the entire episode before watching.