Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlitznBurst posted:

Well, I guess I'm just gonna wait until Funimation/some kind fansubber decide to actually translate the entire episode before watching.

Likewise. If it was one line, fine, but this is basically unwatchable if you don't know Japanese as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Likewise. If it was one line, fine, but this is basically unwatchable if you don't know Japanese as it is.

Technically it’s just the one scene but the untranslated dialogue seems pretty drat important from the summaries people have posted so I don’t blame you.

Like I said, I hope they fix it soon or at least do a dub of this season eventually.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Somebody posted the bilibili subs and they seem to look okay.
https://files.catbox.moe/hlfl4k.srt

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You spoilt millennials, always expecting someone else to translate everything for you. My grandpappy taught me to pull myself up by my bootstraps and make my own translations out of old rope and scrap wood, just like we did back in the old country.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

You spoilt millennials, always expecting someone else to translate everything for you. My grandpappy taught me to pull myself up by my bootstraps and make my own translations out of old rope and scrap wood, just like we did back in the old country.

You jest, but sometimes I will watch an anime that I've never heard of, turn off the subtitles, and try my best to figure out what the story is, then afterwords compare that to what the actual story was. It's actually pretty fun.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
For anyone that was holding off on watching, the funimation subs have apparently been fixed now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 3 has been delayed until Spring of next year:

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/...ica-side-story/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, see below

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 29, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The final season of Magia Record (unless they decide to adapt the game’s second arc one day) will debut in its entirety on April 3:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...g-song-/.183494

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The final season has begun now just FYI (and apparently will be released back to back in a single day if I read the above article right)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just rewatched episodes 7 and 8 as a refresher, and drat, I forgot how jank the animation was at the end there. The stills were classic SHAFT clean/pretty, but nothing moved naturally (if at all). :stare:

I'm hoping the wait was worth it. And we finally get to figure out what the deal is with Kuro.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the first episode of Season 3 we seem to be off to a good start at least (much better animation this time as well)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Larryb posted:

Based on the first episode of Season 3 we seem to be off to a good start at least (much better animation this time as well)

They always start strong, the question is how long they can last before the quality creeps in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kyte posted:

They always start strong, the question is how long they can last before the quality creeps in.

To be fair we’ve only got 4 episodes this time counting the one that just came out so I would hope they couldn’t gently caress that up too bad (but we’ll see I guess)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The 4 episodes looked good with a few stand out scenes and generally a good end to a series that was good with some flaws.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that was worth the extra wait in my opinion. I wonder if they’ll ever adapt the second storyline one day.

Speaking of, did the ending to this arc change/add anything to the game version of the same events?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

What a finale. Too weird for me to have figured out how I feel about it just yet, but definitely worth watching. I was confused when the credits rolled with Walpurgisnacht still in the picture, but the resolution had me laughing out loud.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The 4 episodes looked good with a few stand out scenes and generally a good end to a series that was good with some flaws.
It was a huge improvement from S2, where every action sequence in this style was completely incomprehensible. My only real complaint was that it felt like they had to make some cuts to cram everything into four episodes—a few moments, most notably Iroha's rescue by Yachiyo and the gang, felt jarringly sudden.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that was worth the extra wait in my opinion. I wonder if they’ll ever adapt the second storyline one day.

Speaking of, did the ending to this arc change/add anything to the game version of the same events?
It's a huge divergence. I can't say just how huge because I quit the mobage two chapters before the end—because I thought the show would be a direct adaptation, ironically—but S2 on is a new story with some shared elements. Hopefully someone who finished the game can fill in the details, but at the very least, I've heard that Ui, Touka, and Nemu survive. Based on that, I wouldn't expect a sequel to the anime, especially since it ended with Goddess Madoka literally closing the book on Magia Record.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, if nothing else we do still have that new Madoka movie coming sometime in the future (of which I assume there has been no recent news yet)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

just learned that this witch's name decodes to NEODOROTHY MOTHERFUCKER. now you know too

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Watching eps, gonna be commenting here.

Ep 1: Very good infodump. IIRC this part was only narrated in the game, so now we get a much better view of the events, and fills in some bits I don't recall were explained in the game, like how exactly they met Alina and how they went from knowing nothing to building the whole system.
Also the way Touka crushes Nemu during the transformation sequence sure underscores her true nature.
I'm pretty sure Nemu didn't remember anything in the game but I'd say it works better this way. It changes her characterization somewhat but we didn't need two tiny evil dictators anyways (she was always the more moderate of the two, in any case).

Half-transformed UI was creepy.

Ep 2: Wow at first I thought they were gonna tone down/excuse away the wonderchilds' actions but nope they jacked the crazy right up. drat.
They definitely jacked up the final boss status of Eve. The doppel showcase was cool too. Really emphasizes how creepy the whole thing is which the game didn't really touch upon in the main story. Plus it's nice to see the older girls stepping up not because they fight better but because they're more mature.
Wait no stop don't do that gently caress.
I mean, it's cool they solved a problem through empathy rather than fight but c'mon they didn't have to be so mean about it god drat it. There's no way this didn't make viewers mad, Momoko and Mifuyu are both popular.
Kuroe is incredibly resilient.

This entire episode is anime original. In the game the wonderchilds only remember after Ui's rescued from Eve, and it's a fight between the protagonist alliance (including characters who either weren't included or got doppel'd in the anime) and the brainwashed Wings, with the final objective of reaching Eve with the little QB to put Ui's soul back in. Thematically it was more about those who chose to work together vs those who chose surrender themselves to a greater leader's "guidance", while here it's more about direct empathy I suppose.

Ep 3: lol Karin gets special cameo privileges.
Come to think of it didn't they change Alina's gratuitous english into gratuitous italian before? I wonder if I picked different subs this time or if the official subs dropped it because it was badly received.
Oh there's most of the characters that I'd assumed wouldn't get animated, even some that were only hinted and wouldn't actually get introduced until the second arc of the game. Nevermind they're just a cameo I guess.
Yo it's super cruel to have the jester meguca in charge of the dead.
God the writers definitely chose violence for the anime story. No unconditionally happy resolutions here, that's for weak gacha players.
ngl there's a bit too many flashbacks and expositions but I can't think where they could've gone instead. Also +1 to the canonically gay meguca tally.
Nameless white meguca was surprisingly cute.
More cameos including other spinoffs' and even the nameless historical megucas from the main series finale lol (Jeanne got updated to Tart).
It's kinda funny how little Iroha understood other people. She kept poking into Kuroe's trauma without ever realizing. Rip Kuroe you had to die to make Iroha grow up. Absolutely no mercy from the writers.

Again, this is all original. They're really hammering the themes of the fragility of people's hearts and how only true empathy lets people to save each other.
The game's idealism has no place here.

Ep 4: Straight to Iroha emotional torture yay! And just as I mentioned, once again empathy saves the day. It's all about sharing the emotional burdens.
God this is way more emotionally draining than the game that's for sure.
Yoooo that 5-way connect rocket is badass. Also a bit goofy but nevermind that.
Well given this is the final episode they are not having a WN fight. Which is a bit of a shame because it had some cool moments where everyone got together to fight it and they actually won for once. [1 minute later] Oh nevermind they just moved all that to the Eve fight. Hooray for RenaKaede. See if you can spot all the meguca couples.
lol I just noticed Nemu's book is the titular Magia Record.
(Fun fact the game has a scene from Madokami's POV. From her perspective timelines are musical records, so the Magia Record refers to the MR timeline itself. Also the MR timeline is one of a kind, extremely fragile, and the divergence point is Iroha tripping.)
Lol Touka "don't feel bad we're just murdering people you've never heard of".
Empathy saves the day.
Oh so Alina doesn't just disappear in this story huh. She's a proper sociopath. Real bold plan. I believe she's a fan favorite just from how crazy she is. LOL at her super form's name. Motherfucker indeed.
Mouth flap animations are a bit wonky in this ep.
Oh so they suicide attack huh. Well that gets them out from their judgement. In the game they have Sakura (the rumor) judge them and basically they lose access to their magic. They intended to suicide here too but Iroha and Ui wouldn't let that happen.
If you're wondering what's with all the train imagery, MR often references a novel called Night on the Galactic Railroad. It's got a number of references in manga and anime, and its themes of self-sacrifice are applied pretty much directly onto Iroha and Yachiyo. (Also the two main characters share names with Iroha and Yachiyo's doppels so yeah)
Oh god I just realized all of Yachiyo's old friends are dead and Yachiyo doesn't even know Momoko and Mifuyu are dead. gently caress this scene hurts.
(I don't understand why Meru is drawn with colored outlines. And she doesn't talk either. I guess because she didn't die but became a witch?)
gently caress and they follow up with Ui. I'm loving crying now. drat you Inu Curry why must you be so cruel.
And now we're back to the whole thing about empathy. (Cute that the twins have their ribbons crossed together)
Aaa I'm crying again.
And yeah this ending is original too. Only the broad strokes are kept. No Madokami intervention either.
But it still ends with a supershot from a superconnect made from Yachiyo and Iroha's weapons and everyone's strength.
The animation of that final explosion is beautiful.

loving epilogue don't make me cry again. And I guess the OGs are dead given Homura leaves the timeline. In the game this is actually a successful timeline, Homu sticks around and everything. Madokami treasures it for being so rare.

There's the Karin cameo again. Despite being absolutely nuts Alina still cared for her huh.
At least Madokami (and the audience) remembers them.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 5, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if I understand correctly, Incubators can grant literally any wish even if said wish causes problems for them personally (like the girls wishing for Kyubey’s powers here)? Sounds inconvenient but then again Kyubey’s an rear end in a top hat so I can’t feel too sorry for him

Now that the show’s finally over I’m curious how long it’ll take to get some real info on the new Madoka movie (and how said movie will carry on from the ending of Rebellion)

Also, has there been any word on a possible dub for the second half of Magia Record yet (I know the first season got one at least)?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Larryb posted:

So if I understand correctly, Incubators can grant literally any wish even if said wish causes problems for them personally (like the girls wishing for Kyubey’s powers here)? Sounds inconvenient but then again Kyubey’s an rear end in a top hat so I can’t feel too sorry for him

Now that the show’s finally over I’m curious how long it’ll take to get some real info on the new Madoka movie (and how said movie will carry on from the ending of Rebellion)

Also, has there been any word on a possible dub for the second half of Magia Record yet (I know the first season got one at least)?

In the main series QB was very much not on board with Madoka's wish and yet it happened, so same principle. Pretty sure QB's words were a direct callback.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kyte posted:

In the main series QB was very much not on board with Madoka's wish and yet it happened, so same principle. Pretty sure QB's words were a direct callback.

Ah yes, forgot about that.

So in the off chance it never gets an anime adaption, what’s the second story of the mobile game about out of curiosity?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Kyte posted:

I kind of got the impression that coobie was like a car salesman working for commission, he didn't think Madoka's wish was a good idea but as a member of the coobies he couldn't turn down such a big catch.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Larryb posted:

Ah yes, forgot about that.

So in the off chance it never gets an anime adaption, what’s the second story of the mobile game about out of curiosity?
Service ended before S2 started and I stopped keeping track after that but IIRC it started with the girls from other cities hearing about the doppel system (the game's ending makes it permanent within Kamihama via mini-QB-ex-machina) and wanted a piece of the pie for themselves (I believe the QBs leaked the info), plus a Neo-Magius faction that I'm not sure what they aimed for.

Cephas posted:

I kind of got the impression that coobie was like a car salesman working for commission, he didn't think Madoka's wish was a good idea but as a member of the coobies he couldn't turn down such a big catch.
Dunno, to me the finale made it very clear that he'd completely lost control of the process. There's no way he'd've allowed such a wish to go through given it'd destroy the entire system not to mention break several laws of reality.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kyubey very much believes he's always right and when it blows up in his face it's always super great.

Of course the anime having Nemu and Touka basically end up like another Kyubey after the wish backfired and even when the truth got revealed also says a lot about trying to solve problems without working everyone

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
drat this ending was emotionally draining.
I don't hate it, even though I want to.

Pretty much all of it is original beyond the broad strokes. And nobody died either.
The game didn't treat the doppel system as negatively as the anime does. The game story considers it valid, it's just the wonder twins are not going at it the right way.

Man meguca truly is suffering.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 5, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It would have been nice to see the OG girls get in on the final battle though since they had roles in the series previously (unless they were in one of the crowd shots or something happened to them during the previous season I’m forgetting about) but it was good nonetheless.

That said, I kind of like the way the anime handled the Doppel system to be honest

Also apparently Alina Gray had an entire backstory in the game that as far as I recall the anime just kind of glossed over:

https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Alina_Gray

Speaking of, did she wind up going off the deep end and becoming the final boss in the game version of the story as well?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I finished writing the commentary in my first post. It mentions the divergences. Sorry it's a bit long.
Alina just disappears once her role as an obstacle is done, it's a bit weird. I don't know if she comes back later.

The OG girls went back home, that's why WN was back to its proper route tracking Madoka. You see them when WN's arriving at the city. It doesn't appear they made it.

I'll say, this ending is definitely a lot more memorable.
I saw a theory that this is how MR would've gone without Madokami's intervention which would make some sense.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 5, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

According to the link I posted above Alina apparently shows up in some capacity during the second arc (though she has amnesia now).

That said, this twist kind of makes sense since she was clearly batshit insane from the beginning (also I love that her final form is literally named Neodorothy Motherfucker)

So what’s the final boss in the game version of this story then?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Larryb posted:

According to the link I posted above Alina apparently shows up in some capacity during the second arc (though she has amnesia now).

That said, this twist kind of makes sense since she was clearly batshit insane from the beginning (also I love that her final form is literally named Neodorothy Motherfucker)

So what’s the final boss in the game version of this story then?
Both are final bosses. There's Eve first as a regular final boss, then WN as a server-global raid event, like the ones you see in FGO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVWVPaeApQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_238C6RZME

I was actually remembering things a bit wrong.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 5, 2022

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The more I think about Alina hijacking Eve, the less I like it. What we had before that moment was a complex conflict—strategically, emotionally, morally—between Touka and Nemu on one side and the rest of the cast on the other. But once Alina appears, acquires ultimate power, and announces her plan to destroy the world by turning everyone into magical girls, that evaporates. "Well, we have things we want to do, but more important than that is stopping Satan from blowing up the planet," Touka and Nemu say; then they die in a suicide attack that doesn't even end the fight. It's a nonresolution and it's immensely frustrating.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
No runtime left lol.

e: jokes aside Alina's in a weird situation. The game's story basically denied her a resolution, and storywise her roles were basically 1) fill in for someone else (the "older sister" role for the wonderchilds), 2) be an obstacle for the protagonists and 3) provide a convenient source of barriers. (And she was always nutso.) The anime actually gave her more agency by having her choose to do something in spite of the kids, and it's not even out of character for her.
But in the end she's still basically a plot device to enable someone else's story to continue (or conclude).

Kyte fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 5, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kyte posted:

Dunno, to me the finale made it very clear that he'd completely lost control of the process. There's no way he'd've allowed such a wish to go through given it'd destroy the entire system not to mention break several laws of reality.
Given that even recreating the entire universe specifically to gently caress him over just led him to create a different system instead, I think it's a bit of both. He couldn't stop her at that point, but he knew she would have that kind of power, and he presumably didn't have to offer her a wish in the first place if he didn't think it was worth the risk. (Which would have made Homura's life much easier.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
After all, if you're an immortal alien superintelligence haunting humanity from the shadows, you can't go making an irrational decision just because the little girl you're trying to manipulate might become a god and rewrite reality. That'll happen sometimes, but you just take the L and move on.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

After all, if you're an immortal alien superintelligence haunting humanity from the shadows, you can't go making an irrational decision just because the little girl you're trying to manipulate might become a god and rewrite reality. That'll happen sometimes, but you just take the L and move on.

Unless that little girl happens to be Homura, then you done messed up bad. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Unless that little girl happens to be Homura, then you done messed up bad. :getin:

If mainline Homura doesn't end up dead or erased from existence by the end of the Madoka franchise, I will be disappointed.

That said, I just got through the last 4 episode dump of Record, and I'm conflicted. A lot of parts seemed rushed, but it did hit a lot of awesome notes. The most emotional scene for me was Yachiyo on the train and realizing she didn't know Momoko and Mifuyu were dead, yet. Goddamn....

I am immensely pissed that Kuroe just....died like that. What the gently caress. The whole process of her falling into despair, slowly cracking through the barrier, witchifying, and getting offed by Iroha seemed like it went in the blink of an eye. But I guess it was like most of an episode. >_>

Still, wasn't she the anime-original character? She had almost no interaction with anyone outside Iroha for the last quarter of the series and only interacted with her like twice in the period. Maybe I'm just pissed she didn't turn out to be some weird meta character like Mari from Eva Rebuild because that is what I was totally expecting. Someone whose presence in that iteration of the timeline was supposed to be the hinging point. Nope. Gotta make Urobuchi proud.

But now knowing the MOBA ending was supposed to be a "successful" timeline makes it even more darkly humorous. That shot of Homura peace'ing out during the epilogue should be a meme.

Would still recommend to Madoka fans.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 8, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I am immensely pissed that Kuroe just....died like that. What the gently caress. The whole process of her falling into despair, slowly cracking through the barrier, witchifying, and getting offed by Iroha seemed like it went in the blink of an eye. But I guess it was like most of an episode. >_>

Still, wasn't she the anime-original character? She had almost no interaction with anyone outside Iroha for the last quarter of the series and only interacted with her like twice in the period. Maybe I'm just pissed she didn't turn out to be some weird meta character like Mari from Eva Rebuild because that is what I was totally expecting. Someone whose presence in that iteration of the timeline was supposed to be the hinging point. Nope. Gotta make Urobuchi proud.
With how much of her character is about being an outsider, and not being able to find a purpose or fit in anywhere -- to the point that we never even learn her first name -- I'm sure it must be 100% intentional, and that's supposed to be the point, but I think she really could have used some more screentime in Season 1 to tie it all together. Unless just disappearing like that was supposed to be part of the point too? This is the trouble with trying to go meta. If you don't land it, it becomes impossible to distinguish from plain sloppy writing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
ngl I feel like Inu Curry is even more cruel to their characters than Urobuchi.

Back in 2018 for the Valentine's event Inu Curry wrote Homura's Valentines story and it involved a nameless Black Feather who asked to be called Kuro.
The story summarizes as: "Homu meets a Black Feather who reminded of herself, they bond a little bit, Kuro talks about how she feels bad about being so weak and Homu tries to cheer her up. Next act, Kuro's dying and Homu's holding her hand as she apologizes for being such a nothing."
Then you fight a chocolate-colored faceless reskin of one of the generic enemy Witches.
"The witch of chocolate. Her nature is to play a minor role. The end result of some defeated Magical Girl."

Players got so endeared with Kuro the devs actually slapped together a playable 1*-locked version of her to be given for free. She has no lore, voice or illustrator, she's the very definition of a faceless NPC.

https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Magia_Record_Story_A_la_Carte_Valentine#Homura
(Her witch's a Kenji Miyazawa reference.)

(e: incidentally Ui, Touka and Nemu's doppels are also Kenji Miyazawa references)

(e2: Oh Kuroe got added to the game and unsurprisingly her doppel's also a Kenji Miyazawa reference.)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think "Kuro" is the name the girl in Kuroe's flashback is listed under in the credits, too. At least, there's someone called "Kuro" there, and if it's not her, then I don't know who it was.