Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a magical girl anime from 2011 that almost everyone has seen by now.
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story is the anime adaptation of the Madoka Magica spinoff mobile game (which originally launched in 2017 for Japan and 2019 for NA). The anime is being done by Shaft, with much of the staff from the original series also working on Magireco.

In exchange for the fulfillment of a wish, Magical Girls keep fighting, unbeknownst to the rest of the world. But Iroha Tamaki can't seem to remember her wish.

“When I became a Magical Girl, what did I wish for again?”

There is a gaping hole in her life.
Something important has been lost.
But she continues to fight every day, without even knowing why…

Then, a rumor begins to spread among Magical Girls.

“Magical Girls can be saved if they go to Kamihama.”

Kamihama City, the city where Magical Girls and Uwasa are gathering.
The story of Iroha Tamaki, in search of her lost wish, begins…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBhgPAIMhfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiRywvGitzs

Magia Record is set in an alternate universe/timeline from the original Madoka series, and features a new cast of magical girls from Kamihama City. The story is not a prequel or sequel to the original series, and does not require that the reader/viewer has seen the original. But it is definitely written with the assumption that most or all of its audience is familiar with the main story and plot twists from the original.

In general, I would say that the tone of the game is more lighthearted than the original series, but the main story, and especially the character back stories, feel very much like more Madoka. Also, while the anime is an adaptation of the game's first main story arc, there is (at least one) anime-only character, and there will probably be other changes to the story.

:siren:Season 2 info:siren:

Streaming: Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hidive all have it, but Crunchyroll/Hidive are on a 1-week delay.

astr0man posted:

Season 2 starts on July 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeVyUINxB0

Also they're splitting the remaining parts of main story arc 1 into two separate seasons, the "Final Season" will air late this year. (It sounds like it will be two short seasons rather than a full 12-13 eps for each?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/magireco/status/1408380449831981057

:siren:Spoiler rules:siren:
This thread is for discussing the anime. The thread in mobile games is pretty dead Any threads about the game are dead (as is the NA game itself), but for people who've played the game, please try and keep any plot or character spoiler discussion in this thread to a minimum (use common sense).

Magical Girls

(will add the rest of the main girls as the show progresses)

Iroha Tamaki (voiced by Momo Asakura)

Game PV
A Magical Girl who lives in Takarazaki City. Iroha is very responsible, but being overly considerate toward everyone around her, she does not fit in at school. Iroha cannot remember the wish she made when she became a Magical Girl, so she decides to go to Kamihama City to investigate a certain rumor that could provide her with answers.

Kuroe (voiced by Kana Hanazawa)

A Magical Girl who lives in Takarazaki City. Kuroe fights alongside Iroha from time to time, but mostly they’re acquaintances who get together on a regular basis to exchange information. Kuroe is afraid of fighting in life or death battles and wishes she could be saved from being a Magical Girl. She begins to become obsessed with Kamihama City after hearing a certain rumor.

Yachiyo Nanami (voiced by Sora Amamiya)

Game PV
A veteran Magical Girl in Kamihama City. Yachiyo is a college student who’s not affiliated with a team, preferring to instead work alone. She is very territorial and is strict toward Magical Girls from other areas, especially when their skills don’t measure up. Yachiyo has been documenting all of Kamihama City’s “rumors.”

Tsuruno Yui (voiced by Shiina Natsukawa)

Game PV
A reckless Magical Girl who's full of energy. Tsuruno loves her family, especially her grandfather and great-grandfather, who lead the Yuis to their former prosperity. She fights to become the strongest Magical Girl in order to restore the Yui name.

Felicia Mitsuki (voiced by Ayane Sakura)

Game PV
Felicia is a spirited Magical Girl, full of energy and determination, who hates Witches for taking the lives of her parents. She now works as a mercenary, hunting Witches all across Kamihama. Her tough talk hides a kind heart and a love of animals.

Sana Futaba (voiced by Yui Ogura)

Game PV
A pessimistic Magical Girl, Sana was rejected by her family and those around her, so she has hardly any self-confidence. However, she'll quietly stand by the people who need her, ready to help them when the time comes.

Momoko Togame (voiced by Mikako Komatsu)

A Magical Girl who is always looking out for rookies. The middle child, Momoko was influenced by her two brothers' boyishness, but she loves cute, girly things like stuffed animals. Because she loves cute things she's also a fan of female idols.

Rena Minami (voiced by Kaori Ishihara)

A Magical Girl who has trouble opening up to others. Rena acts cocky to make up for her lack of self-confidence, which leads people who don't know her well to misunderstanding her. She's a picky eater and loves sweets. She is also a big fan of idols.

Kaede Akino (voiced by Ayaka Ohashi)

A worrywart, Kaede is easily scared. She is also kind, caring, and ready to take risks for her friends. She loves animals, plants, and insects, and nature in general. She enjoys gardening, and though she's not good at them, she likes UFO Catchers.

What happened to the game

The NA/English server was shut down in September 2020.

The JP game is still around, and Main Story Arc 2 is still ongoing (the anime is an adaptation of Arc 1). A new Chinese server was also started around the time that NA died, and is somewhere in Arc 1 (afaik they are going at a "normal" pace instead of the super accelerated schedule from NA's iteration).

If you are interested in playing on the JP server, r/magiarecord has a good installation guide. There are also guides for playing on the CN server but I don't know anything about that.

There is a partial English fan-translation patch available for the android version of the JP game (that works on the common emulators as well) provided by https://rayshift.io/ (FGO fan/translation community). For info on installing it you need to join their discord. Everything that was available at the end of NA is patched into the JP client, and there is ongoing fan translation for the JP only content.

Full disclosure, I play on JP but haven't personally tried the rayshift/kamihama patch since I play on iOS. But in general the magia record community vouches for it, but it does require installing custom/patched APKs so ymmv

Links

Website | Twitter
Magia Record: Playing Gacha is Suffering - Dead mobile games thread
Let's All Be Magical Girls! - General magical girl thread
Madoka Magica: Gen Urobuchi Wants to Warm Your Heart - The original Madoka anime thread (requires archives)
the new Madoka Magica thread - The most recent Madoka thread (closed but should not require archives)

astr0man fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The game has some magical girls that punch things, but unfortunately kyubey is not one of the things that gets punched

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah, I doubt that we'll get to see very many of the characters outside of Iroha and co. For what it's worth, I thought that the one scene with all of the wishes at the end of the first episode was a nice touch for game players.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Solid second episode, I liked that they threw in another side character reference with the Rena/Ren transformation

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Some very nice transformation sequences this week. So far the anime has done a good job of fixing the slow/meandering pacing issues from the game. I was kind of hoping we'd get to see a bit more of the Momoko/Rena/Kaede back story stuff, but the side story lines they did use in this weeks ep fit really well.

also there's a post-credits scene this week

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Elephant Parade posted:

the minute-long transformation montage kinda damaged the pacing, imo. it felt a little like an ad for those characters in the mobage.

that's fair, when I mentioned the pacing it's I was talking about how the game really drags out the plot beats (because it has to spread it across however many battle nodes per story chapter) and a lot of times you end up with multiple strings of nodes in a row where nothing really happens

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It’s definitely ketchup. It’s very in-character for Mitama to be doing weird poo poo with food.

I’m on vacation in jp this week so The Mightiest™ won’t make it into the op until I get home

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Technically it starts a bit before the events in Madoka, but it's not a prequel. Basically the MR timeline does not lead directly into Madoka, it's its own separate thing entirely.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Also is it true that this is only going to be 13 episodes?

No one seems to know for sure. The reports saying it's a one cour show are based on the fact that the current bluray sale listings are for 13 episodes worth of bluray releases.

But on the other hand, the mobile game is currently running an anime release promotion, with bonuses each weekend coinciding with each new episode. Some of the promotion content is scheduled to run through June, which seems to imply that the show will be 2 cours.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The NA version of the game uses "Uwasa" when referring to the monsters and just "rumor" when discussing rumors in general. I think in the original JP, the game uses kana "ウワサ " when referring to the monsters, as opposed to the actual kanji for the word rumor.

I guess they could have gone with capital-R "Rumor" instead, but I don't really have a problem with just using "Uwasa" to differentiate the two in English, especially in a text-heavy game context.

e: In the game, it's also explicitly explained that Iroha/Yachiyo decide to call the monsters "Uwasa" since they come from special rumors, to differentiate them from witches, but that got glossed over in the anime.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 17, 2020

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Pretty sure the one that tells Mami that there's something weird going on in Kamihama is supposed to be the same Kyubey from the original Madoka.

wrt small Kyubey (game spoilers):
it's the player insert character, and does not play a significant role at all in the main story up to the point the NA/english game is currently at other than what we've also seen in the show (i.e. being vaguely connected to Rumors and Kamihama weirdness for some unknown reason). But supposedly small kyubey does become more relevant by the end of the main story arc according to people who played JP.

Aside from the main story, Kyubey (not specifically the one from Madoka I guess) does show up in several of the character specific side episodes (which for the most part are just what __ character wished for/how they became a magical girl), and is generally just as manipulative/exploitative as in the original series when it comes to convincing characters to become magical girls.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There've been changes for the anime, but it's generally followed along with the game. I still haven't seen anything about confirmed episode counts, but at the rate things are moving now, 13 episodes would put the show roughly around the halfway point for the game's main story arc.

e: technically we're already at the start of chapter 6 out of 10, but the later chapters are longer than the earlier ones

astr0man fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 15, 2020

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's a turn based/card deck RPG, the combat kind of works like in FGO if you're familiar with that

(you can play the game at double speed so the animations dont take forever like in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OTn_h5ZhEE&t=46s

Whether or not the game is good is probably dependent on your tolerance for grindy mobile/gacha games. Personally, I think the story content is good (especially the character specific side and event stories), but the game itself is a pretty average mobile RPG.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Apparently we are only getting 12 episodes

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I guess the game campaign dates are in the middle of the week, so it could be ending the weekend after instead of the weekend before.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Really good finale, on a whole the anime so far has delivered pretty much everything I wanted out of this adaptation

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, is the Story Mode of the mobile game still being updated (in Japan or the west)?

Main story arc 1 from the game, which is what the anime covers (across both cours), is finished in JP and almost finished in NA.

Japan has started an arc 2, so in theory there would be enough content to have more than 2 seasons worth of anime, although I’m not sure how likely that would actually be.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
not that I know of, but it's a mobage so I would assume it's just "we'll continue making content until the game stops being profitable"

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Season 2 starts on July 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeVyUINxB0

Also they're splitting the remaining parts of main story arc 1 into two separate seasons, the "Final Season" will air late this year. (It sounds like it will be two short seasons rather than a full 12-13 eps for each?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/magireco/status/1408380449831981057

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Arc 2 is up to 6 chapters and is still ongoing in the JP game (for comparison arc 1 was 10 chapters), so there is more content they could adapt if the anime does well enough, but I'd guess they stop after these announced seasons. Arc 1 has a very clear ending, so it wouldn't be a problem for them to end with that.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Today is the day!

Also just fyi, the streaming setup in the west is the same as S1 - funimation, crunchyroll, hidive, with crunchyroll and hidive on the 1 week delay.

I have not seen any info on whether or not funimation will be doing a dub this time around, and the english anime site only lists a sub (for now?) https://magiarecord-animeusa.com/streaming/.

e: I updated the OP with some s2 info, and also some notes about the state of the game. For anyone interested in trying the game, note that it's JP only now, but there is a partial translation patch available for the android version of the JP game - it should contain all of the official translations we got from the NA version, plus ongoing fan-translation for everything else. See the links in the OP for more info.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 31, 2021

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Good start to the season

Larryb posted:

Just to confirm though, Magia Record is supposed to purely be an AU story right? Also was the focus of today’s episode in the game or just something the anime added in?

It's strictly an alternate universe yeah. And the stuff from this episode is from the game, but the anime has changed around some of the timing.

(minor game stuff) The major OG5 related plot beats (including the fallout in this ep from learning the truth about magical girls) have been consistent between the game and anime. The main difference was that during season 1's chapters in the game, the rest of the OG5 all show up in Kamihama looking for Mami after she disappears.

quote:

Related, there hasn’t been any further word on the fourth Madoka movie beyond the fact that it’s happening at some point has there? I am sort of curious how they plan to continue from where Rebellion left off though.

Don't think there's been anything since the announcement that it was happening

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's a Madoka gacha game, so yeah they all are.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

So for those who played the game, how involved are the OG5 in the story going forward (particularly Madoka and Homura)?

It's hard to say since the anime hasn't strictly followed the game when it comes to handling the OG5

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Ah, how big a role did they play in the game story in that case?

They play a part in basically all of the main plot events, but they're all still side characters relative the Kamihama cast. But again, this is probably irrelevant, since the same thing applied to everything that happened in the game's version of season 1's events, but for the anime Madoka/Homura ended up not showing up at all.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 2, 2021

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Ah, so the anime expanded their role a bit then (which I’ve got no problem with honestly as its fun seeing the old girls in action again)

Not really, in the game the OG5 have their own dedicated set of side stories that runs parallel to the main story, and shows what's going on with the OG5 cast while they're in Mitakahara or when they are apart from the Kamihama girls. (pretty everything from this ep came from those stories)

But in terms of the "main story" stuff, the anime has reduced their role (significantly in S1).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
In the game it never really comes up in the main story, but there's optional side content that is focused on it (doppel release/uncap events).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

I assume this entire episode was just an anime exclusive story then?

Pretty much yeah. The general stuff w/Yachiyo's backstory & emotional trauma from her wish comes from a mix of in-game main & side content, but everything that actually happens in the ep is new for the anime.

Seems like the anime is going to really start diverging from the game now, I'm excited to see what they end up doing with Kuroe

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Show continues to be good, powerful yachiroha episode

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

If the former, does the current story at least have a fairly conclusive ending in the game?

Yeah, in the game arc 1 has a clear ending.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It follows from the first one, but it's a pretty separate story. Basically, arc 1 is about Iroha & co dealing with the Magius in Kamihama. Arc 2 is about the long term affects/aftermath of the stuff that goes down in arc 1, and how the those events impacted magical girls in general (the main antagonists in arc 2 come from outside of Kamihama)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Finally got caught up on the last couple episodes, it's a shame about the production issues w/episode 6, but overall this season has still been really good. I'm glad the main Chelation Land story beats have ended up making it into the anime, wasn't sure what they would do with it when S2 first started getting more independent of the game stuff.

Larryb posted:

Next time is the last one before the show goes on hiatus for a few months right?

Right

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

quote:

Also what happened with episode 6 production wise?

I was just talking about the general drop in animation quality in ep 6. I don't know about any specific issues with the production, but I'm assuming it's related to whatever led them to split the season up.

And no, I don't think there's been any more news on when the final season will drop other than "late 2021"

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Episode 8 is going to be delayed a week until the 25th, there will be some kind of recap episode aired in its place this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
For anyone that was holding off on watching, the funimation subs have apparently been fixed now