Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
Got to go Pachirisu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If we ever wanna become the undercover agents of the Rangers we'll need a Secret Squirrel companion. So Pachirisu (hopefully I spelled that right)

:yeah:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

EleSquirrel time!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I went with Munchlax but apparently you’re too chicken

Starly is cooler than the pikachu copycat

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pachirisu

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We need a starly as our partner

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

According to the Uranium wiki, Kellyn had a Pachirisu as his partner before the events of the game. And who are we to defy fangame canon?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

BisbyWorl posted:

According to the Uranium wiki, Kellyn had a Pachirisu as his partner before the events of the game. And who are we to defy fangame canon?

:agreed:

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

BisbyWorl posted:

:yeah:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

You know what? On second thought, that Extremely Important Mission can wait.

Music: Vientown

"This is Vientown. For relaxation, this is your town."

We can't Cut the sign this time to have it mysteriously replaced in this game :(

Pokemon and people live by helping each other.
Why, hello. It's nice of you to stop and chat.
(Hans) It's been too peaceful for a reporter. There's nothing to write about for the newspaper. How about you guys blow a Mission or something?

Some NPC's are named, so I'll put their name in brackets like above.

I'm not blowing a mission just to make some news, by the way :colbert:

Pokemon.
I like sea Pokemon, yeah.

up.
Vientown's a bit too peaceful for me. I'll be honest: I am bored silly.
Our Mimi plays with the Happiny so much. I swear she's looking more and more like a Happiny.

Ah, kids and their impossible dreams. It's like that Jigglypuff kid in Ringtown and Blitzball kid in FFX.

Fridge This refrigerator is custom built. It makes Happiny-shaped ice cubes.

:3:

You should get in the habit of reading signs whenever you see them.

I named it the Little Big Farm.

Fun fact: this game and Little Big Planet came out in the same year.

(Bill) Mik poodin, I wike wike.

Nothing.
(Cindy) My mother's milk pudding is tasty.

Bookcase These are growth histories of Miltank. They are lined up by year.
Fridge It's full of milk pudding! It is being cooled to settle.

Like other Pokemon games, we can't just go and capture other people's Pokemon.

"The village next door to Vientown. A good place without a history yet."

Yes, this is the same Chicole Village as the one mentioned in the letter last update.

Music: Ranger School Road

The road leading there has nothing interesting save for this a new Pokemon!

Seedot is marginally more powerful in this game, no longer getting captured in one loop.

Base EXP: 13

We're out of the 10 EXP zone! :toot:

Keith won't let us go to Chicole Village, though, so back to the mission we go.

I wonder what kind of critical Mission's going on up there... Even I'm starting to feel kind of nervous.

There's Ranger Crawford from our Outdoor Class! So, what do we do? Just go up and introduce ourselves, right?

:kimchi:

You're nervous? Well, that's not hard to understand. This is, after all, a key mission. So... The extremely important parcel. I fully expect it to be safe. Hand it over, but be gentle. One careless shake and it's ka-plow.

*Kellyn hands over the package*

Mission Clear! :toot:

All right, people!

Wait, what?

I was getting impatient for this!
Hahahaha. Oh, the stunned looks on your faces! Remember me? I'm Crawford. Like, Crawford from your Outdoor Class. I'm sorry I had to cut that class short for handling that mission. Do you remember this? My Partner Pokemon, Budew.

Budew: Dewadodidi.

Good work, the both of you. This Mission's cleared! The name's Barlow. I'm the Leader of this Ranger Base. This is my Partner Pokemon, Makuhita.

Makuhita: Maku!

Oh, there's another thing... This prank isn't my doing. Crawford there thought it up.
That's not fair, Leader! You're the one who was going on about what a great idea it was.
Hi, I'm Luana. I fell for this same "gotcha" prank a year ago. But in my case, the lunches were all mushed up from me swinging this parcel around! I'm pleased to meet you! This Buneary is my Partner Pokemon. Isn't she a cutie?

Buneary: Mememeweah.

I'm not a Ranger. I'm a Mechanic. My name's Elaine, but don't worry if you can't learn all these names at once.
Uh, um, I'm Keith! And this is Kellyn! We're, uh, reporting for 1-day Internship duty! And, uh, I wish I could have a Partner Pokemon of my own one day!
Oh? Starting to feel at ease now? Sorry for tricking you two like that. It's become a tradition for us.
That's enough with the introductions. Leader, let's feast on the extremely important parcel they kindly delivered.
Yes, I'm famished!

Then let's get right down to it. Welcome to our trainee-welcoming lunch!
Wow, the food even looks delicious. It's not like last year's.
I'm sure glad to hear that!

This place is nice :unsmith:

The operator gets left out of the fun, though :smith:

We were told not to put the parcel on its side and never, ever upside down... Well, no wonder. It was everyone's lunch...
Doesn't the wind feel nice here? This is my favorite place.
Your Ranger School uniforms... They bring back some memories.
You came up through Nabiki Beach, right? That's where I met my Partner Pokemon. I'll never forget that.
Vientown's a laid-back country town. Not much happens in the way of thrilling or exciting there. It's not like some movie or game.

Music: Time to Flee

Po-Pokemon have gone wild!

:ironicat:

What seems to be the matter?
We were down on the beach when the Pokemon there started acting mean! They've surrounded my girlfriend and won't let her go!
Okay, I get the picture. We'll handle it from here.
*To everyone else* It's an emergency Mission! We're taking a break from lunch! To Nabiki Beach! Move it! Kellyn, Keith, you come, too!

Kellyn, let's go!

What happened to these Pokemon anyway?
They look like they could be dancing...
They're friendly and docile usually! They're not like themselves!
Please! Do something! Hurry!
Okay, people, listen up! Crawford and I'll capture the Shellos! Luana, Keith, and Kellyn! You three catch the other Pokemon! Keith and Kellyn, capture your targets just like you learned at school!

New Music: Mission Received

5 poses at once! That's got to be a record. It is; I don't think even Guardian sign top this.

New Music: Mission Start!

Our very first mission! :toot:

By the way, missions in this game will start with a new music instead of the music of that area.

*The Rangers move out*

*When talked to* Pachirisu, Munchlax, and Starly were all in a good mood when I was feeding them.
*When talked to* This is the first time something like this has happened...

Alright, let's go do some mission!

They're good Pokemon, really. I don't know what's gotten into them? Pachirisu, Munchlax, and Starly... They're all adorable and reliable, too. Why, if I were a Ranger, I'd be honored to have them all as my Partner Pokemon. Yes, indeed, they're that good! I beg you, please calm them down.

I doubt they will be as good as Plusle, though :colbert:

capture on your first-ever Mission. That's the way it was for me and for Crawford, too.

But not for Luana?

I'll calm my girlfriend down. Please, calm down the Pokemon!
Luana? What's the holdup? Hurry up and decide!
Which one's expecting me to help? Starly? Munchlax? Pachirisu? I just don't know...
If Luana can't decide, I can't choose either...

Well, it's up to us to decide. I vetoed Munchlax, and you guys picked Pachirisu over Starly for "Uranium canon" reasons, so who am I to argue against an edgy fangame? :awesomelon:

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

Pachirisu mostly walks, but it likes to suddenly jump around. It's not that high, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Its attack is exactly the same as Pichu's. Yeah, they reuse animations a lot in this game, but they have enough :effortless: for me to let this bit of :effort: slide.

Music: Capture Complete

Base EXP: 10

All Partner Pokemon can only be caught once, which means this C rank is here for good.

...or it would be if I didn't just reload a save and make it so that this S rank stays for good instead :smug:

Music: Mission Clear

Your captures successful?
You bet, Leader! How about you, Luana?
I got hung up a little at the start, but I managed. How about the students?
We students succeeded with our captures, too!
There appears to be no injuries to the Pokemon or people.
Good work, people! The Pokemon seem to have calmed down, too. They're good to go. Let's release them.

*They release the Pokemon*

??

???

What's the matter? Someone must've taught you how to release Pokemon by now!
You've grown attached to that Pokemon?

We heard strange noises from the sea. We noticed a big cargo ship pull away and disappear over the horizon. And, then, all of a sudden, I was surrounded by the Pokemon... I think they were startled by the cargo ship.
Well, whatever happened, I'm glad to see you folks are safe. Crawford and Luana, sweep the beach. Just be on the safe side, all right?
Roger that, Leader!
Understood!
Kellyn and Keith, good work. You did well on your captures. Thanks in no small part to you two, we managed to calm down those Pokemon. In the world of Rangers, we call it... Mission Clear!

New Music: Mission Clear!

Our very first Mission Clear! With a jingle! :woop:

Well, I'll be! You've already got Ranger poses! Looked good, too. Anyway... All right, people, we should head back to the Ranger Base. *starts to leave* Oh, hold it a second! We need to clean up after our lunch. Kellyn and Keith, you two can go back to the Base without us. To make up for that prank, we'll do the cleaning up. Sundown's coming soon. Let's move it, people!

Music: Ranger Base

brought back have been "cleared." There's nothing else on the agenda. It's time we said good-bye to them. Kellyn and Keith, don't forget those captures you did today.
It'd be neat if the both of you could be assigned to our Base. We'll be sure to keep you busy delivering our lunches.
You know, Crawford was really looking forward to today. He was saying how he would get to see those kids from Outdoor Class again.
Your Ranger poses were really cute.
Everyone, thank you so much! We'll never forget what we experienced today, I'm sure of it. Thanks again, and good-bye!

Truly, one day is not enough :sadwave:

What is this gathering about? Hmm? You're the Ranger School's students? Ah, so you are! This is your 1-day Internship at this Ranger Base, I see! Come to think of it, we had a girl come to the Ranger Union on a 1-day Internship. She had her mind set on becoming an Operator, that cheerful lass. I do believe her name was, uh...Misery? Something like that. Well, Iv'e memorized your faces! I hope you two will give me the chance to work with you in the near future.

*Kellyn and Keith leave*

What's all the shouting out here? Is there a problem? ...Oh? A Pokemon from the beach?
Oh, I get it. I bet it came to see Kellyn because it's happy about being captured.
That sounds possible. But these two aren't Rangers yet. Not officially, anyway. We can't permit you to have Partner Pokemon. I know how disappointing it is, but not this time. Not now. It's okay if you want to spend some time together, though. But be sure to release it before you go back to school.
*When talked to* But that little Pokemon... It's sure taken a real shine to you, it looks like, Kellyn.
*When talked to* It's too bad, but Partner Pokemon are only for after you become a real Ranger...
*When talked to* It hurts to let this little guy go, but... We'd better get back to school.

Guess it's the end of our freedom time :(

you here, little guy. Wonder if we'll ever meet again? It'd be great if we could...

Pachirisu: Pachi Pachi... *reluctantly leaves*

:sadwave:

Yoohoo! Wannabe Rangers!

*Goes to Kellyn and Keith* Are you getting back now? How did it go as Rangers?
It was like, wow! As soon as we got there, we were assigned a Mission! Oh, but, it was top secret. Can't give out any details. Sorry.
Well, I went through a whole lot, too. Prof. Hastings kept mistaking my name to be Misery, for one thing. It's going to get dark soon. We should hurry. Let's report on our days later, when we get back. Ms. April will be waiting for us!

*They all leave*

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 11, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Excuse me, but as I said I only voted for Pachirisu because I remembered Secret Squirrel while trying to think of a reason to vote for anything.

I'll never forget Secret Squirrel

By the way, why did you veto Munchlax? Is its assist really bad/good? Do the partners affect anything besides assists?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I chose pachirisu because it was the cutest :(

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I vetoed Munchlax because its assist is very boring. It's just a worse version of the Fighting assist with bad matchup. The main reason, however, is that its endgame sidequest is BY FAR the least annoying of the bunch. I always take Starly since its sidequest is the most annoying, but I can live with Pachirisu.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Excuse me, but as I said I only voted for Pachirisu because I remembered Secret Squirrel while trying to think of a reason to vote for anything.

I'll never forget Secret Squirrel

I voted simply because of Secret Squirrel as well.

Secret Squirrel forever

Also, I've gotta say they always do a good job with the ranger poses. 5 at one time is just great.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Munchlax is far cuter than either of the other options :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like that the game points out that a Ranger Pose is an actual thing in-universe and not just a cool graphical detail. You aren't a true Ranger if you can't pose.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger School

This will be the last time I speak to you like this in our classroom. Yes, today is the Ranger School's graduation day. I imagine you all have lots to talk about before the ceremony, so this is free time. Feel free to visit other rooms and say your good-byes. But remember, when you hear the bell, be sure to gather in the main hall.

*Everyone scatters around the class*

Ah, graduation day. The most bittersweet day in a school life.

...Today is for you to celebrate. I'm sorry that I'm getting all emotional over this...
Heh, we finally made it to graduation. You've been assigned to Vientown. I'm off to the faraway Fiore region. I guess we won't be seeing each other for a while.
We're stepping out into the big world now. I'm happy, but I feel a little sad, too.

For the next while, I'm going to be stationed in Fiore, too. That's where I'll be in training as an Operator.
Don't you think the guys are being more emotional than the girls?

Guys are allowed to be emotional too, you know :mad:

Let me give you one final word of advice as my parting gift. "No running in the hallways!" It's a key rule that will serve you well.
I feel kind of attached to this School Styler. I don't want to give it back.
It's good-bye to the School's Pokemon today, too.
I'm glad you talked to me even though we were in different classes. It made me happy you did.
I got accepted by Altru Inc. to work in its research labs. I have to work hard for Melody's sake, too.
I fretted every day over what I should do when I graduate. WEll, that day's arrived, but I'm still conflicted. Isaac got picked up by Altru Inc., thanks to an introduction by Mr. Kincaid. I envy him. Oh, you don't know Altru Inc.? This issue of the Almia Times has some articles on it.

for work.

The job of building Almia's future is passed to your generation.

assemble in the main hall. You know, on the ground floor in front of the stairs. This is the one day of the year that I've come to hate over the years... Even the Bidoof seem to be feeling sad today...

Lots of :smith: and :unsmith: all around.

The graduation ceremony's going to begin!

will now commence. First, our principal's congratulatory remarks. Principal Lamont, if you please.
Congratulations, graduates! I am truly delighted that I can be here to greet this day with all of you. Rangers, Operators, and Mechanics. Though these paths may take you in different directions, what I hope for all of you is but the same. Don't worry, I'm not going to say something impossibly difficult or challenging. "Please don't forget to smile." That is all I wish of you. With these simple words, I wish you the very best of luck in all your endeavors.
Thank you, Principal Lamont. Next, let me call upon this graduating class's valedictorian. That would be our best student, Isaac.
*Takes the stage* Today, we leave the shelter of this place of learning and nurturing. It is a giant step for us in our pursuits of our long-held dreams. To the teachers who inspired us... To Janice, who was mother to us all... To all the Pokemon that loved us... And to all the books of the Library...! We will never forget. Thank you so very, very much from all of us! *returns*

You're thanking the library books? Really? :rolleyes:

Isaac, thank you for those most moving words. Next, the conferring of the graduation certificates.
I would like to call upon one student as the representative of the graduating class. Kellyn. Step forward, please.
Whoa! You're the representative! That's wicked cool, Kellyn!

*Kellyn walks to the stage before a tremor occurs*

Music stops

What was that?! An explosion?!
That noise came from the basement!
Everyone, keep calm!
I... I'll goo see what that was! *goes down* Waah! Stop! Stop that!

Music: Tension
Eeeeek! It's bad! Run!

Kincaid!!!!! :argh:

*Everyone runs*

Kellyn, let's capture these things!

I've never captured a Pokemon that huge!
I can tell what you're thinking, dear. Please don't do anything reckless!
I said it before. I can't take any jumbled-up outgrowths!
(Left) Those are Tangrowth! They evolve from the Grass-group Pokemon Tangela! Eeeeek!

Since we can't use any assist, this tip is completely useless.

Aren't Tangrowth normally docile?!
I don't see Mr. Kincaid anywhere. Is he okay?
Did we even have Pokemon like them here before?
Why did these Pokemon come out of the basement?
(Right) I'm too scared to move...
It's going to be okay, everyone! Don't panic!
It's times like this that one must be calm and deliberate in one's actions.
C-C-Calm down, everyone! And m-m-me, too!
Why does this have to happen at the very end of our school year?
Could they be...? No, that's not possible.

:thunk:

Video: Tangrowth

Yeah, sure.

All right, let's do this! Kellyn, you take the one on the left! I'll take the one on the right!

It's time for our first boss. Who sadly isn't given a proper boss music by the game.

Tangrowth only has one attack, but it can do it multiple time consecutively. Some Pokemon can attack consecutively, which means it'll attack again as soon as the previous attack ends. We've seen it before with that aggressive Bidoof.

The main thing with consecutive attacks is that it's very easy be baited into thinking an attack is done, only for the next one to hit us.

Even with that, Tangrowth is still very easy. It is only the first boss, after all.

Base EXP: 20

Bosses, just like most games, gives a lot of EXP. In fact, there's a "Boss Capture" bonus just to hammer that point.

Music: Mission Clear
Yes! Capture successful! Kellyn, we did it!

You two are awesome!

Music: Ranger School

You're not hurt, are you?
I... I think... Yes, yes. I'm fine. I must admit, even I couldn't tell what on earth was happening...
Ah, so even Mr. Kincaid is at a loss as to why those Tangrowth rampaged... That is a shame. Still, everyone seems to be safe. That certainly is a great relief. Well, shall we continue with our graduation ceremony?

*Kincaid returns to his position*

Not going to ask what the hell Kincaid was doing in the basement? Okay then.

I would like to call upon one student as the representative of the graduating class. Kellyn. Step forward, please.

*Kellyn enters the stage*

Kellyn and Keith. Thank you for coming to the protection of everyone! It was very impressive to see you calmly go about your captures with no panic. You've provided everyone with a good example of taking charge in a crisis. Now, as representative of the graduating class, I confer you this certificate. *confers the certificate*

*Kellyn returns*

And finally... The time has come for all of you to set sail into the vast horizon that is your future. In closing, I will say this once again: "Please don't forget to smile." Congratulations, grads!

:wave:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know Kincaid's contribution to the game will be 'causes the bad stuff to happen' along with Isaac, but I'm really hoping eventually 'no running in the hallways' will be required to get past some area.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I know Kincaid's contribution to the game will be 'causes the bad stuff to happen' along with Isaac, but I'm really hoping eventually 'no running in the hallways' will be required to get past some area.

I'm hoping trying to run inside buildings later gets a popup of Kincaid telling you not to, like Oak and the bicycle.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Welp. Everything looks on the level here. Definitely did not just meet the bad guy(s).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh thank god the school section is over. This game is great, but it's definitely not snappy.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020

FoolyCharged posted:

Welp. Everything looks on the level here. Definitely did not just meet the bad guy(s).

On the nose name? Check
Lofty goals? Check
Presidents name inspired by black hole? Check
Hand-wringing subordinate? Check

Nope, this seems like a highly legitimate business that is very much on the level

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Allosauroidea posted:

On the nose name? Check

I've played this game to completion and I still didn't realize what that name meant until I read your post.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't remember The Joker being in this game...

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Allosauroidea posted:

On the nose name? Check
Lofty goals? Check
Presidents name inspired by black hole? Check
Hand-wringing subordinate? Check

Nope, this seems like a highly legitimate business that is very much on the level

I don't really what's on the nose about Altru.

The president's name, however... I just noticed it. And now I can't unsee it :argh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

1234567890num posted:

I don't really what's on the nose about Altru.

The president's name, however... I just noticed it. And now I can't unsee it :argh:

Altru Inc could either be a play off altruistic or a statement that this page is totally All True.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Is the President's name a pun on Play (it) Cool? I've never really thought past that in previous playthroughs.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blake Hall: Black Hole

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

...Big Brother? Come on, you have to wake up! Listen, Big Brother... This isn't a letter, you know? ...WAKE UP!

New Music: Chicole Village

Starting today, you're a Pokemon Ranger, Big Brother! You're going to be late if you don't hurry, though. *leaves*

Welcome to our room, a place that we'll visit, like, once in the entire game. Twice if you didn't choose Munchlax. Let's take a look around before going down.

Bookshelf The shelves are lined with Pokemon books. Mom bought those.
TV A Nintendo Wii console is beside the TV. It's a gift from Dad.

No free Potion in this game. It's not like we need it, but it's the thought that counts, you know?

How did you like your new room? Did you sleep well? This house gets a lot of sunlight, and the kitchen is easy to use. I like this house a lot. How do you feel, dear?
I'm glad we chose this place. Our field's just steps away from our front door. Your mother and I dreamed about owning a place like this for years.
I got to name our field! I named it "Partner Farm" because Mommy and Daddy get along so well!

Kellyn is one of the very few Pokemon protagonist who have both parent alive and well. None of Kellyn's family have names, but they're still very :unsmith: nonetheless.

*When talked to* You came out to Almia all alone, and now you've made it as a Pokemon Ranger. You're my kid and all, and you make me proud for all you've achieved. Congratulations. Well done.
Chicole Village is right next to Vientown. If you walk north (↑) just a little bit, you'll be in Vientown.
You have some time before you need to report to the Ranger Base. Why don't you introduce yourself to our neighbors in Chicole Village before you go?

Fridge The vegetables Dad grew are in the hydrator compartment at the bottom.

Chicole has 4 houses, just like most towns in Pokemon universe. South of it is the Partner Farm, which is just a dead end right now.

Mom did told us to chat with our neighbors, so let's do that. We'll chat them up in counterclockwise order, starting with the southeast house.

to each other.

TV A Nintendo Wii console is by the TV. There are also two Wii remotes.
Bookshelf There are books on knitting and cooking. There are also scrapbooks of the kids.
Fridge There is a photo taped to the door. It shows a mother and son.

How is this Chicole Village place?
I have two brothers. My oldest brother is inside.

(Kyle's Dad) Good to know you, neighbor.
(Kyle's Mom) Please chat with Kyle, too.

Bookshelf "An Introduction to Riolu" "Secrets of Riolu" "Riolu Photo Collection" "The Adventures of Riolu" ...There's nothing but books about Riolu!
TV This often shows a cartoon starring a Riolu.
Fridge There is a taped-on photo of Kyle and a Riolu. It appears to be a special occasion.

...You know Kyle isn't the only child, right? :ohdear:

It's great being out in the country. Our decision to move here was right!
(Paula) Everyone in Chicole Village moved here from different regions.

TV It's a compact, 14-inch TV. It's conveniently small for moving.
Fridge It's a taped-on recipe of gelato that uses Combee honey.

It's a very short journey to Vientown. There's only this one screen; the same one where we caught Seedot.

I was looking forward to your arrival so much, I decided to come wait for you. Come on, let's go to the Ranger Base!

*They run to the Ranger Base*

Are you maybe feeling nervous? It makes me remember what it was like for me just a year ago. Well, let's go inside. Everyone's waiting for you!

We're back! :neckbeard:

It's like you remembered it, isn't it? The people and the place haven't changed. ...Well, duh. Your visit wasn't all that long ago.
Kellyn, you little so-and-so! What made you come here?! Wahahah! Welcome aboard! Oh, before that, there's something I forgot to say. Congratulations on graduating from the Ranger School!
We heard about your heroics at the graduation ceremony, too.
I heard Keith became a Ranger as well. But he's in the Fiore region? Oh, right, about today's lunch delivery... No, no, I'm just kidding!
You'll be stuck hearing Crawford's jokes regularly from now on. You'll have to get used to it.
Kellyn, you should go get changed. The changing room is over there.

Before we do that, though, let's chat up people in Vientown!

:saddowns:

A new uniform has that great smell to it. So crisp and new. Do you know what I mean?
Go get changed already.
Do you want to carry our lunches again?
The changing room is right there.

At least we can talk to people here. And hear the Operator's final line not related to our Styler :confuoot:

We won't actually get to see what's behind that door; Kellyn will just do whatever and then come back out. I guess we'll never know what's inside... :iiam:

Are the boots too big? Is everything all right with your uniform? Hmm... The uniform looks good on you. You wear it well. Okay, the time has come... I confer this to you, in recognition of your status as an official Ranger... Your Capture Styler.

*Barlow bestows Kellyn the actual, proper, fully functional Styler*

That officially makes you a certified Pokemon Ranger. Well? How does it feel to hold that? The Capture Styler enables you to use Poke Assists. It's a feature that your old School Styler never had. Poke Assist? What's that? ...Your expression says it all, kiddo. Crawford will explain it to you.

You'd think that this kind of thing would be something taught in Ranger School :sigh:

Now that we have an actual Styler, there's an icon at the bottom left.

It'll display all our Friend Pokemon. We can tap them to use its assist, with each type having different effects and subject to the Gen 4 typing matchup.

However, the assists don't last forever. Once the timer on the top screen runs out, the assist ends and the Pokemon will be released. Using another assist during that time will end the timer instantly.

Most of the assist adds Friendship to the Pokemon, and thus preventing it from draining. Some of them, such as Water assist here, can deal status effects.

There are 4 capture status effects in this game:
  • Paused: can't attack (just like Fire assist in the first game)
  • Tired: Friendship won't drain
  • Slowed: exactly what it sounds like
  • Stopped: the effect of most assist in the first game
Poke Assist isn't as broken in this game, but it still can be very useful. I'll TRY to show off them all, but I make no guarantees. Sometimes they're just too bad to properly show off.

All right, people! Fall in!

But as the Leader here, I'd like to uphold tradition. People, today, we welcome Kellyn as the latest member of our Ranger Base. Maybe it was fated to happen after that 1-day internship. I'm Barlow. I'm the Ranger Leader here. I'm glad to have you on board. The smiley guy in the middle is our resident jokester, Crawford. He's the tallest person in Vientown. And his hair is that explosion of an afro.

Is he the tallest with or without the afro?

Next to Crawford on the left is Luana. She's a bit scatterbrained. Just this morning, she incinerated toast. She has brilliantly white teeth, though.

I'm not sure how white teeth has to do with clumsiness.

Elaine, our Mechanic, would choose tinkering with machines over romance. The problem is, she likes taking things apart more than assembling them.

Don't we all? :j:

Last, but not least, behind the counter is our always-smiling Operator. She's won the Styler Recharging Contest three years in a row. And that, kid, is our entire team.

Yeah, the last is definitely the least. Sorry, Operator, but that is the truth :smith:

Incidentally... I hate to say this, but things are getting strange around Vientown. It's so bad, the place can't live up to the billing, "For relaxation, this is your town." Remember that Pokemon trouble we had at the beach? Since then, things have started slowly turning strange. Whether Vientown returns to being a relaxing place or not depends on us. It's our job as Rangers to put things right. Kellyn, I'm expecting big things from you. That goes for everyone else, too. I'm counting on you all. Let's not waste any time, Kellyn. Here's your first Mission. I want you to go with Crawford and help him with the job. Join him in delivering the Vien Tribune. It's a job Crawford usually does by himself. Visit every home in Vientown and Chicole Village and deliver the newspaper.

Music: Mission Received

Oh wow, delivering newspaper. I'm so ecstatic right now :geno:

*When talked to* We focus on good, uplifting news in the Vien Tribune.
*When talked to* There's nothing to worry about. If anything comes up, Crawford won't be mean about showing you what to do.
*When talked to* You may as well take the opportunity to drop in on your folks. It'd be a chance to show off your spiffy new uniform, right?
*When talked to* If there's no one home, you don't have to leave a newspaper there.

Remember the Fall City mission? The one where nothing happens? Well, this mission is that but worse. Exactly 1 (one) important thing will happen here, and exactly 0 (zero) captures will be done. :sigh:

At least we got a nice new portrait, the ability to use Poke Assists, and a bunch of glossary entries. That's something, right? :confuoot:

Speaking of Poke Assists, let's take a look at them. They might not be as important as they were in Ranger 1, but they certainly can be a huge help.

Grass assist here might look worse than Ranger 1, but it's actually more usable now. It still won't have any effect on flying/levitating Pokemon, however.

Flying remains an extremely good assist. It's not as broken in this game, but it doesn't need to be broken to be good.

All types have assists in this game, even ones that don't have it in Ranger 1. Normal assist is just meh, but the matchup is pretty bad. That's one of the reason I vetoed Munchlax, by the way.

Recharge assist is just like the Recharge Field Move. It's always handy to keep them around.

At least you don't have to make the bubble bigger than the Pokemon this time. You can, but you don't have to.

The assist matchup only cares about our offense, so Rock type might not get completely overshadowed by Steel! :toot:

The lightning has a long delay so it's hard to time it right, but if it does manage to hit the Pokemon it's very useful. That's a big IF, however. More likely than not, the lightning will just hit where the Pokemon were.

...I miss Plusle already :(

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There are useless small children taking up space everywhere, do we really need qualified Rangers to be delivering the newspapers?

Speaking of small children, I feel sorry for Kyle's nameless brother.

Also astounded that Kellyn has a normal, intact family with no obvious issues. That is not proper protagonist behaviour, young man. Go find a traditional angsty backstory immediately. (Makes me wonder why Uranium picked him.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You know how it is, teen rebels against wholesome completely normal parents providing a healthy environment for the kids by starting a family that'll befall tragedy and raise up a grimdark kid.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You know how it is, teen rebels against wholesome completely normal parents providing a healthy environment for the kids by starting a family that'll befall tragedy and raise up a grimdark kid.

I refuse to accept uranium and poor kellyn’s nuclear meltdown elemental wife

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jen X posted:

I refuse to accept uranium and poor kellyn’s nuclear meltdown elemental wife

Accept what you must, we have already decided this run is canon to Uranium, hence sharing Kellyn's name and partner.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Accept what you must, we have already decided this run is canon to Uranium, hence sharing Kellyn's name and partner.

This run is uranium canon, but uranium sure as poo poo ain’t canon to this game

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Mission Start!

Tribune, actually.
*When talked to* ...Huh? Sorry. I was thinking up some jokes.

This mission is so boring even Crawford can't light it up :sigh:

*The Happiny fall from the sky ceiling before jumping around*

Were you surprised when our Happiny greeted you?
The Almia Times is fine, but I like the Vien Tribune. I wanted to read more of their "Ranger Tales" series.

*Crawford delivers the newspaper*

Oh, thank you! So, today's headline is... "Good Things Expected of Rookie Ranger!" Now that's an intriguing story!

Most of the NPC dialogue in Vientown isn't updated. This is one of them.

Mr. Woodward's one for going on walks around this time. I'm guessing he's at Nabiki Beach. It's to the west (←) of here. Let's saunter out there.

Oh, it's Pachirisu. And I guess Woodward too (he can barely be seen on the left).

*Pachirisu runs circles around Kellyn*

It's that Pachirisu from before! Pachirisu seems to remember Kellyn!

Hmm? Are you perhaps that student from the Ranger School? Well, well, congratulations on graduating. It seems this Pachirisu has been waiting for you to become a Ranger. Quite often, I've seen it loitering around the beach as if it were looking for someone.
There's an old saying that if you meet on this beach, you become good friends. I'm thinking there's something to that. Kellyn, you're a Pokemon Ranger proper, so you can have a Partner now. You're free to make that Pachirisu your official Partner Pokemon. Good for you!

Music: Rank Up!

Pachirisu: Pachi Pachi.

A Partner Pokemon is one that's especially friendly with a Ranger. The bond between them is so tight, they always travel together. Your Partner Pokemon can even help you during captures. Since I'm already explaining, I guess I should tell you about the Partner Gauge, too.

We have yet another tutorial. All it boils down to is that we now have a gauge that fills up when we make a loop. When it's full, we can use our partner's assist. Using the assist drain the bar completely, repeating the cycle.

Our partner's assist this time isn't unique, though. We'll eventually be able to get a partner of each type, which includes Starly and Munchlax. But for now, we're stuck with Pachirisu.

Well, wee Pachirisu, it seems that your patience has been rewarded.
Oops, I almost forgot. Your Vien Tribune, Mr. Woodward. *delivers the newspaper*
Ah, the latest edition, is it? The large text makes it easy for my tired eyes to read. I appreciate that.
*To Kellyn* Young Ranger, please be sure to treat that Pachirisu with care and affection.
*When talked to* Playing with Pokemon gives me the most enjoyment these days.

something really trivial...

Guess Nabiki Beach isn't the eternal friendship beach after all.

I made them all with pride, my friend!

Thank you for your service :golfclap:

Crawford and someone else brought the Vein Tribune!
Hi, new Ranger. Your uniform looks brand new.
Mama! Vien Triboon come!
Mama, um, Crawford brought the newspaper. A stranger came, too.

rescue at the Ranger School, aren't you? I surely needed to thank you for that. We were saying how good it'd be if that student came to be a Ranger in our town.
You sure saved me from a mauling! Those Bidoof were out to get me.

*When talked to* We're a seven-member family. That includes our Miltank, of course.
*When talked to* We're very proud of our milk pudding. It's delicious!
*When talked to* I yike mik poodin.
*When talked to* Um. Ranger? Oh, nothing.
*When talked to* Our dairy's milk is the best tasting in all of Almia.
*When talked to* I'm deathly a-scared of Pokemon. I'd like to get to like them if I could, but...

Looks like we can't get back into the school. I don't know why you'd want to, but still.

Work has started on the bridge-replacement project.
Oh, that's right. We got a notice about that at the Ranger Base.

We can't go north, so the only place left to go is Chicole Village.

Vien Tribune? That's sort of cool in its own way!

Is it really?

Thanks for delivering this. Let's see now... Well, other than "Crawford's Best Jokes," everything else looks interesting. I'm just teasing about Crawford.

*Kellyn delivers the newspaper*

Oh, so this is the Vien Tribune. We just moved here, too, so I've not had the chance to read it yet.
The Rangers publish these newspapers and hand-deliver them here. It's not as easy as it looks.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the publishing, since the delivering is as easy as it looks.

This is the Vien Tribune? Are there any articles on Riolu?

You look good in that uniform. And this tall fellow here... You said your name is Crawford? You've got a good prospect, it looks like. I've got a son around your age, Crawford, but he hasn't kept in touch. I've no idea where he is or what he's up to...

*Crawford delivers the newspaper, probably awkwardly*

What's this? The Vien Tribune, is it? You're to deliver this door-to-door? I'd think you were given this job so you can get acquainted with the local people.

There's probably a better way to do this. Maybe we can just help them with various odd jobs. We'll call them, I don't know, Quests?

Big Brother, why are you delivering the Vien Tribune? When you look so cool in your new uniform...

I know, right!? :mad:

Well, isn't that a nice uniform! The material looks to be good quality. The design is wonderful, too! Ranger Crawford... My Kellyn is just a child. Please keep an eye on my firstborn.
*When talked to* I'll work the farm just as hard as you do your Ranger work.
*When talked to* Is it hard being a Ranger? Or not too hard?
*When talked to* If you ever get lonesome, you can always visit home.

Man, why did they pick the PC with the best family to be a distant dad? :confused:

Anyway, it's nice visit, but we have to be moving on now. See you later! :wave:

Music: Chicole Village
That's it. We're done with the deliveries. Let's head back to the Ranger Base.

With this, the "Mission Start" music FINALLY ends. Good riddance :byewhore:

If you were to describe a Ranger's job in one word, what would it be?
Hmm... That's a tough one.
*Notices Kellyn* Oh! Look who's back! That was your first official Mission, wasn't it? Good for you. That's your Mission Clear!

Music: Mission Clear!

Oh, what's this I see? That Pachirisu behind you... What's the story here?
The story? You already know it. That's Kellyn's first Partner Pokemon. Don't you remember? It's the same Pachirisu from before. You know, that Pachirisu Kellyn captured on Nabiki Beach.
Oh, yeah, okay, I remember now! It's that Pachirisu that kept following Kellyn around that day. That sounds like an ideal pair to me. Be good to each other. Hey, Kellyn. You can call it a day now, if you want. Going to take me up on that offer?

After every mission, we're given a choice to either rest and continue the plot or explore and talk to people. We'll take a rest after we talk to the people here.

Delivering newspapers isn't too bad, is it?
Wasn't it hard delivering all those newspapers? When I was a rookie they made me help... Wait, no, I volunteered.
I bet you got to know the local people a little doing deliveries.
You've got a fresh and new kind of appeal. You're Kellyn, is it? I'd like to get your views on how your first day as a Ranger went. ...But then again, everything I need to know is evident in your face.

...And that's everyone. Eventually there'll be more to do with our free time, but for now let's just go to sleep.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 3, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

You look good in that uniform. And this tall fellow here... You said your name is Crawford? You've got a good prospect, it looks like. I've got a son around your age, Crawford, but he hasn't kept in touch. I've no idea where he is or what he's up to...

*Crawford delivers the newspaper, probably awkwardly*

What's this? The Vien Tribune, is it? You're to deliver this door-to-door? I'd think you were given this job so you can get acquainted with the local people.

Seems like you've got the wrong image there.

Also, what's our new partner's favorite game?

DonPachi

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Did you sleep well? The beds at our Ranger Base are pretty comfortable, don't you think?
*To everyone* Alright, people. Listen up. We received a disturbing report from Mr. Woodward. He claims there are strange noises coming from the Marine Cave on Nabiki Beach. Kellyn, you remember, too, don't you? When those Pokemon went wild on the beach? This latest thing could have a connection to that incident. Crawford, go investigate the Marine Cave. Take Kellyn with you.

Music: Mission Received

Finally, our first OFFICIAL REAL Mission :toot:

Kellyn, you should know where Nabiki Beach is by now.

And then we get a tutorial about the "Mission" part of the menu. I'll just skip that real quick...

The Marine Cave is located on Nabiki Beach. This season, the tide should be out far enough for you to walk to the Cave. You'll find Marine Cave on the west (←) end of Nabiki Beach.
This is the first Mission worth of the title in a long time. I'm feeling a little tense, to be honest.
Say, listen, Kellyn. Before you leave the Ranger Base, make sure you stop by the Save Machine. You knew that, I'm sure, but...

Who needs save machines when you have savestates? :v:

Before we go do our Mission, it's time for our usual NPC talk.

Do you suppose maybe the strange noises were just roaring waves? Maybe Mr. Woodward misheard?
There's talk that this isn't an isolated incident. Weird incidents have been reported in other towns.
Do you remember when those Pokemon went wild on the beach, there was that couple? Didn't they say they heard strange noises then, too? I don't think anyone else noticed that day, though, because the winds were gusting.

Mimi says that our Happiny are acting strangely. I can't tell the difference, myself.
We got woken up early by our Happiny this morning. They were babbling excitedly, "Pina Pina!" They still are.

There was nothing natural about them. There's no way they were just waves.

You hear that, Elaine? Looks like your guess is wrong.

to speak.
Um, Miltank is weird. Just a wee little bit.
Miltank, big!
Our family's morning starts with milking.

You can read that VERY wrongly :pervert:

Good morning! This morning's Vien Tribune had a write-up on you, Kellyn!
Our Miltank seems a little agitated this morning. It's probably nothing.

They're working on the bridge-replacement project.
They're still working on the bridge...

Music: Chicole Village

Do you know the Go-Rock Quads? They're a band that started in Fiore! We heard rumors that they're playing live in Almia, so we moved out here!
She's more into the Go-Rock Quads than she's into me.

The Go-Rock Quads along with Hastings and a mystery character are the 6 characters who appear in all three Ranger games.

Your house has a second floor, doesn't it? It must be nice.
This isn't a big house. But it's full of good cheer.

Say that to your other kids outside this house :colbert:

next-door neighbors to each other. I wish I could introduce you to my aimless son, but who knows where he's gotten to...

Welcome home, dear. How are you? You're not tired?

Your dad's right here to do all the protecting.

being carried by the wind. We need to step it up and reach the Marine Cave. It's among the rocks to the west (←) of the sandy beach.

*Kellyn starts running off*

Oh, wait! Hold it! Before we go down to the beach, I have something to tell you. Direct your attention to that Shellos.

If you step in one, it inflicts damage. There are other things and places in the field that can inflict damage. You have to learn to walk carefully. Your Glossary has details about this. I'd look it up.

Field damage is a new mechanic to this game, and it loving sucks :argh:

We could take a look at our Glossary right now, but it just reiterates what we've just heard.

Shellos much be approached from the side/front. Capturing it is the same as usual, at least.

Base EXP: 14

Hello. You weren't here before.

The cut has a slightly bigger area of effect, but otherwise not really threatening. Eventually these close-range attacks will be very powerful, but this is not that time.

Base EXP: 11

*When talked to* This time of year, the tide goes out far. That's why it's possible to walk out to the Marine Cave now.

The only thing blocking our way was an ankle-length seawater so it's not like this is a big achievement, but :toot: nonetheless.

Music: Mission Start!

inside... Those pulsing noises are very sinister.

In areas with purple aura, we can hear some noises. That noise was faintly audible when we're encountering those rogue beach Pokemon.

...You know, if you're actually playing it. Since I can't rip those noises, you'll have to take my word on it.

If it's only about finding out what's causing that weird pulse, this Mission will be easy. But, Kellyn... Take a look over there.

Something's going on here.

Despite the Zubat seemingly going after Crawford, it immediately runs into us. We can capture it just like we would any other Zubat, but...

How much weirder can this get? You captured that Zubat properly, didn't you? But it couldn't be befriended. Do you think the pulsing noise has something to do with it? The pulse doesn't seem to affect the Pokemon we've already captured, though. If we need to get help from Pokemon, we'll have to bring them from somewhere else.
*When talked to* The Pokemon in here are agitated. It's exactly the same condition as those Pokemon on the beach that time.

Contrary to what that cutscene showed, Pokemon in pulsing areas will just run around in circles, negating any reaction they would've had upon seeing us.

This entrance is a fork. The right path is an immediate dead end, so we head to the left.

A Pokemon with the Field Move Cut can take it down. Now, if we could catch a Pokemon like that...
*When talked to* If we don't stop this pulse, we can't capture any Pokemon within earshot. If we're going to get any Pokemon to help, we'll have to get them from outside.

Well that was easy.

What's in the back of the cave? Guess correctly and win three milk puddings courtesy of... This is no time to be cracking jokes.

This is the perfect time to be cracking jokes :colbert:

I can hear the pulsing noise clearly! It's actually close. If you start feeling panicky, talk to me every so often, okay? Actually, keep me from panicking, okay?
*When talked to* I feel like I'm going over to a neighbor's place to complain about their noise.

There's another fork after the fence. The right path leads to this rock while the left path leads to...

Is that what's generating this pulse? I've never seen anything like it. Is that machine making the Pokemon behave so strangely? They all seem to be in pain. To save those Pokemon, I think the quickest way is to stop this machine. ...But, then again, I don't know how you'd stop it. Try touching that machine with your Styler. Something should appear on the top screen when you touch it.

The Styler is omniscient enough to know exactly how to destroy this machine :science:

*When talked to* Let's find a Pokemon that can perform a Target Clear on that machine.

the Pokemon here. It must be out of range. We should be able to capture and befriend Pokemon here!

Unlike in Ranger 1, Geodude and Graveler in this game WILL immediately turn into rocks and MUST be forced to revert before we can capture them.

Shellos might not be strong enough to destroy that machine, but it certainly is strong enough to bother Geodude.

Geodude introduces us to a new type of attack: lobbing ones. As the name implies, it moves in an arc. Once it hits the ground, it'll have a special effect.

In Geodude's case, the rock will break into several smaller pieces. They're not spread out enough to be dangerous, though.

Base EXP: 13

Going left leads to...

boulder. It's probably a Gastrodon... Did it get trapped by this falling rock? Some Pokemon can smash this boulder. Nosepass can, for example.
*When talked to* When you touch a Pokemon, the Field Move it can use is shown on the upper screen. You learned that at Ranger School, right?

Yep. That sure is a rock blocking our way. Right path it is then.

After going past a Squirtle and a bunch of Zubat (who now follows its AI of chasing after us :argh: ), we found the Pokemon we need.

Nosepass kick things up a notch by lobbing several rocks at once. Other than the initial surprise factor, this attack isn't really dangerous.

Nosepass also has another "attack" where it just dances. It does require a lot of loops, though; much more than any Pokemon so far.

Base EXP: 17

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 3, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

After Reborn I think rocks being in the way has given everyone PTSD.

Also that mysterious machine is a fire hydrant. :geno:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black Robe posted:

After Reborn I think rocks being in the way has given everyone PTSD.

It's fine, Reborn is not canon to this LP. Only Uranium is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Pushing to the next page.