Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Mission Start

Now that we have Nosepass, we can see where this rock leads.

*When talked to* Okay, let's speed it up!

It's Gastrodon, complete with field damage :confuoot:

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

It has the same attack as Shellos, but...

It also has a lobbing attack that'll create a puddle. It lasts only slightly, but enough to be a hassle.

To make things harder, Gastrodon will do subsequent Bubbles a few times consecutively. Pachirisu can stun Gastrodon for quite a while (due to type advantage), so it can be very useful.

Music: Capture Complete

Base EXP: 25

Gastrodon took a lot of loops; enough that I considered making a boss video for it. Obviously, that ended up not happening because :effort:

*When talked to* Let's not waste any time stopping that strange machine!

Let's do waste some time! Zubat is right in front of this rock back in the first area. It won't notice us when the machine's active, so it's the best time to see what's behind it.

Looks like we'll have to get another Gastrodon. Oh well.

Graveler might only have basic attacks, but it requires a LOT of loops; way more than Gastrodon. If Gastrodon is an unofficial boss, then Graveler is an unofficial bonus boss.

Base EXP: 30

At least both of these Pokemon give quite a lot of EXP.

Enough for us to get a Level Up and restore that 1 HP lost to Gastrodon's puddle :toot:

After destroying the machine, we get to watch as all 4 Pokemon leave. Slowly. One by one.

...Have I mentioned that this game is slow yet? This game is slow.

Music: Cave
The machine was the cause after all. The Pokemon seemed to be happy to regain their senses. Kellyn, it's your smart decisions that saved the Pokemon. But the machine here... It sure looks shady. We'll have to take it back to the Ranger Base for analysis. *Tries to lift the machine* Grr... Hwaaaaggh! Urf... No way! Not a chance! The both of us can't budge this. I'll get in touch with Almia's strongest person by voicemail for help moving this. It's someone who beat our Leader at arm wrestling in three seconds flat. Yep, that kind of strong. Kellyn, you go on ahead back to the Ranger Base. I'll wait here for Almia's strongest to show up.
*When talked to* You can go back to the Ranger Base without me. I'm sure they could use your help there. I'll wait here for Almia's strongest to show up. ...But, boy, I've never seen anything like this before.

I wonder who this strongest person is?

Music: Vientown

Keep up with your Mission assignments. I don't have the faintest idea why, but your Crawford called me out. My silly husband got all jealous saying I'm going on a date with Crawford in the Cave. So, I told him, that's exactly what I'm doing! Ahahaha! *leaves*

...Huh. Somehow I'm not really surprised.

Music: Cave

You're wanting me to carry this to the Ranger Base for you?
It's pretty heavy. Please be careful.

I like to think of this as "Please be careful that you don't break the floor when you drop this."

Music: Ranger Base

rundown of the incident. So, you two discovered a mysterious machine that makes Pokemon misbehave. That's excellent work, rookie. Of course it's Mission Clear!

Music: Mission Clear!

Let's not waste any time here. Kellyn, I'm officially promoting you to Ranger Rank 1!

Music: Rank Up!

The Rank Up animation here is a bit :effort: compared to the first game, so I won't bother posting the GIF for the next ones.

By the way, getting to Ranger Rank 1 "unlocks" Bug assist. The scare quotes are there because we won't actually find any Pokemon with those "locked" assists before we achieve the "needed" rank.

We upgrade your Styler's functionality whenever you've promoted in Ranger Rank. Check your Styler's Glossary for details on any added features.
You should have a look at this. It sounds like one of your classmates is making a name for himself.

Looks like the Summerland Rangers are still incredibly incompetent :v:

Yesterday, you made deliveries all over. Today, a tour of the Marine Cave. I bet you're exhausted.
If it were me, I'd use the Save Machine we have here. I find that reassuring.

We won't have time to sleep right now because...

time for me? I was hoping to find someone for my Mission.
Hello, Little Tim. Our rookie Kellyn may be able to lend you a hand. I don't think we can handle this request as a proper Mission, though. But we should be able to treat it as a Quest. Actually, this is a good opportunity to teach you about Quests, Kellyn.

And then we get a tutorial about Quests. Lovely.

The Quest section of the menu is actually useful now. It tells us who have a Quest for us and where they can be found. That and the dialog bubble makes finding the quest-giver a non-issue.

Some Pokemon are only available after completing certain quests, one of which is the very last quest in the game. This means that we're going to do every single Quest in the game.

People may have trouble they need our help with, but we can't make them all Missions.
Are the Bidoof chasing him again? Is it something like that?
Little Tim has a problem. Hear him out, will you?

By the way, saving takes 10 seconds, just like Ranger 1. This game is good, but goddamn it is extremely slow. I call this the Final Fantasy IX Syndrome™.

My wife, she had to go out to the Marine Cave, so I got told to do the milking. But you know me, deathly a-scared of Pokemon. What's worse, our Miltank's acting all sorts of feisty and contrary. I don't much care if it's a Mission or a Quest, but I surely know I need help. Can anyone go to my farm and get our Miltank to settle down?

This is our (only) Mandatory Quest, so no sense in saying No.

Oh, you'll do it, you say?! That's a heavy load off my mind! Well, now that that's settled, time's a-wasting! I'll be waiting for you at my farm. Just a reminder, my farm's straight south (↓) when you step out of this here Base.

We get the usual "Mission Received" routine, including the music (which I didn't put here because :effort: ).

*Tim leaves*

Okay, so this is your first-ever Quest. I have to tell you, you can only accept one Quest at a time. It'd look bad if we accepted more than one and then forgot to do one. If you want to do another Quest, you'll have to finish the one you're working on. Or you can cancel an ongoing Quest by having a word with its client.

THIS is why Quests absolutely suck in this game. I'm sure you can imagine why :sigh:

I won't be doing all Quests the moment they're available. Instead, I'll follow the route with least backtracking. Even with that, Quests will still take a painfully long time. Have I mentioned that this game is tediously slow?

You do know where Little Tim's farm is, don't you? It's steps away from the Ranger Base to the south (↓).
A Ranger's job isn't only doing Missions. Quests are important, too.
This is your first Quest. Make yourself useful.

Mama go out. Papa on farm.
Our Miltank is very skittish. It's very sensitive to any change and reacts badly.
We won't be able to deliver the school's milk if it won't calm down. Please, Ranger, can you help us?

It's been in that ornery state since morning with no letup. Mama had to go out, and I'm deathly a-scared of Pokemon. So, I got to thinking, a Ranger'd know what to do in our situation. I figure you'd be able to calm down our Miltank. Are you ready for a capture?

We're locked in here until after we capture Miltank by saying yes. But since we have nothing else to do, might as well say yes.

While we're talking about this game being slow, I should remention the capture loading time, which is 3 seconds. For every single capture. That adds up very quickly, just like FFIX (hence the syndrome name).

Miltank begins with a shockwave and consecutive charges as its first attacks. It's a wee bit more dangerous than any Pokemon we've faced so far.

However, afterwards it'll just alternate between a single shockwave and a single charge, which is much more manageable.

Base EXP: 21

By the way, the beginning of the capture says "The farm's Miltank attacked!" I found that interesting.

Yee-haw! Yeah, that's done it! You came to my rescue once again.

We have confirmation that you have cleared a Quest. Whenever you complete a Quest in which you help a client with a problem, you will be rewarded by the Ranger Union. You will receive Power-up Data as a bonus option for upgrading your Styler. We'll send out your Power-up Data by wireless communication right now. (Receiving Power-up Data...) Obtained Grass Defense.

That bit in parentheses took 4 seconds by itself. And we have to sit through it after every quest.

Yeah, yeah, this game is slow and all that. They're especially noticeable when doing Quests, though.

Oh hey, the Styler section of the menu is actually useful now :toot:

*When talked to* Our Miltank's calmed right down to being its usual happy self. I think I've gone and dodged a scolding from my wife. Lucky me. I thank you kindly, Ranger!

Um, our Miltank. Is it being good now?
Thank you! Now we can get the milking done and make our famous milk pudding.
That was so cool, Ranger! Was it hard for you?

It's always nice to be tha...

:ohdear:

You hefted it over one shoulder? Wow, Big Bertha. You're by far Almia's strongest person.
This strange machine was making the sinister pulsing noise. Pokemon near it seemed to be suffering. It was as if they were under hypnosis. Also, we tried capturing them, but they could not be befriended.
Pokemon under hypnosis? And they're impossible to capture?
Let me take this apart for analysis!
Whoa, whoa, hold up. Not so fast. We'll have Prof. Hastings from the Ranger Union examine it first. Unfortunately, the Professor is off on business in the Fiore region. We'll have to wait for him to get back.
I wanted to dismantle that...
Listen, Elaine. Prof. Hastings will come running as soon as he's back from his business trip. I know how you feel, but we need you to wait for a while.
*When talked to* The machine wasn't as light as I thought at first. I think the most I can carry is two at once.
*when talked to* This whole design is old fashioned. It's not cute at all.
*When talked to* This machine... There's some text around the dial, but it's too rusted out to read.
*When talked to* Oh, I wish I could take that machine apart!
*When talked to* Had enough for one day?

We have one more available quest, but we can do that later. So sure, we'll rest.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Are there missable quests, or could you keep all the non-mandatory ones for the postgame if you wanted to?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

There are no missable Quest in any of the Ranger series. I'm just putting them off because some of them require very long detours.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had forgotten how slow this game was. It's still an important improvement over the first but it sure has its rough edges as well. Then again, my favourite was always the third anyways.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It takes longer to introduce the antagonists than I remembered.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Judging by the number of squares, there are at least 45 more quests to go through.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

There are a grand total of 61 Quests to go through. Obviously, completing them all will take a long time. It would've been much shorter if we can accept multiple at a time :sigh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

There's big trouble, people. The Vien Forest's on fire. I just received word from Crawford, who was out on a stroll. ...Luana? What she's doing?

Someone burn some toast or something? That smoky smell woke me up... ...Oh, hi, Leader!
Luana! That burning smell's no toast. There's a fire in the Vien Forest. Snap out of that doze and get moving with Kellyn to the fire site! Put out that fire, Rangers!
F-F-Fire?! We'll scramble to the forest immediately!

Music: Mission Received

The Vien Forest it to the north (↑) of our Vientown. Now, listen up good. Your safety comes first. If you do something to put yourself at risk, you have to answer to me.
Kellyn, we have to hurry!

poo poo might be nearing the fan, but that still no reason not to chat up the locals.

You guys be safe out there. I know you'll play it smart, right?

If only there was rain to douse them!
Rain? What rain? Today of all days, there's not a cloud in the sky.
Do you suppose the Pokemon will be okay?

She sometimes goes to the forest and plays with the Happiny there.
Here in the Almia region, fighting forest fires is amongst a Ranger's duties. ...That's what they said on TV.

Apparently there's no firefighters in Almia.

I didn't know that. Mommy, dear. Where did you say Mimi was out playing?
Mimi should be near the house with the Happiny. I've told her over and over that children must never go into the forest alone.

Mimi and her Happiny are nowhere to be found in Vientown :ohdear:

The trees of the forest are screaming in agony...

Um, I like Pokemon. I'm two years old. I'm three. Um, bye-bye.
Mama and Papa went to the forest's entrance to keep an eye on things. They said that our farm could be in trouble if the wind turns our way.
I'm staying out here with our Miltank so it won't be scared.

Cindy is on the right just offscreen.

I keep telling her it's not safe and we have to go, but she's not hearing any of it...
The Vien Forest's a paradise for Pokemon... The poor things...

Luana won't let us go anywhere else right now, so...

Music: Mission Start!

The fire must be burning further in.
*When talked to* Crawford is supposed to be ahead of us, deeper in the forest.

A little further in...

There's a little girl!

Well, at least she's safe :unsmith:

next door to the Base! The forest is on fire, Mimi! You have to go home right now!
...Mimi can't go home. Mimi's Happiny all ran away. Three out of four are gone! They suddenly stopped listening to Mimi and ran away somewhere.
That is trouble! But there's nothing to worry about now. We'll go find your three missing Happiny.
You will? Really?!
Trust us! We're Rangers!
Yep! Mimi will wait right here!
*When talked to* We can't waste any time. We have to find Mimi's Happiny. We'll have to scour the forest thoroughly for them.
*When talked to* Mimi's Happiny... They always listen to Mimi, but...

Remember the Jigglypuff diversion in Lyra Forest from the first game? Well it's back and it's...actually less tedious considering the map is actually useful now.

But first, new Pokemon!

Cherubi shoots out three seeds, and then one more, and then another one more. That attack is specifically designed to make you think it's over before hitting you with the next seed.

Too bad our newest Styler upgrade completely nullifies the damage, though :v:

Base EXP: 10

You might notice that a lot of Pokemon we've seen so far are Gen 4 Pokemon.

And you'd be right in guessing that this game is going to be mainly featuring Gen 4 Pokemon.

It's so nice having an actual map instead of the radar. It doesn't show where the wild Pokemon are anymore, but outside of certain situations (Capture Challenges) I don't think anyone actually uses that feature.

Weedle is one of the Pokemon that we won't see without Tackle.

Not a lobbing attack, but it's the same principle. It's kinda cute how Weedle has sweat marks while moving, though.

Base EXP: 12

Now, about that Happiny...

Happiny normally will either walk or jump slowly, but...

...when it attacks, it'll quickly jump high and land with a (narrow) shockwave. It's still not really threatening.

Just like before, the other Happiny are also located in this area. So let's look for them to the south.

Even with the factor of surprise and the number of Budew, the capture is still done quickly.

They must have been startled when the tree toppled suddenly. They've settled down, so we can release them.

*Kellyn releases the Budew*

Now... What to do about ourselves. We can't go any farther like this. We'll have to do a Target Clear, I think. I think a Wartortle can put these flames out. Maybe...

Welp. Guess the only way left is north. We'll check it out after we return the Happiny.

Thank you, Rangers! ...But... Mimi has four Happiny in all...

to help me. Instead, I'm using the river's water to douse the flames!

I'm glad someone here is proactive. Even if he does have an unfortunate title.

This tree can be tackled to release another Weedle.

The flames are becoming fiercer the deeper we go.

Oh! That red thing! Isn't that the same as that strange machine Big Bertha brought? But we can't go this way! We have to find a different route!

We can't progress very far in this area, but we can get that Wartortle.

Pokemon will eventually be tricky to capture. This is not that time.

Base EXP: 14

Well, back to Happiny hunting.

That was surprisingly painless if we ignore the 3 Pokemon limit.

Thank you, Rangers! They're all back now!
Be careful going home.
Yep, Mimi will. Bye-bye! Oh, that's right... Thank you! Good-bye! *leaves along with her Happiny*

:3:

*When talked to* Crawford should be waiting!

Oh, right, the fire. We probably should do something about that.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The only way we can go is to the path north of where we found the last Happiny. Thankfully, the game is merciful enough to put another Wartortle near these burning trees.

There's a fork just after those trees, where the west path leads to nothing interesting. That means we have to keep going north. But first...

At least Beedrill isn't chasing us around anymore. For now.

Beedrill moves very quickly, but (just like most capture-related things) it's not as big of a problem as it was in the first game.

Base EXP: 16

I'm sorry, this is no time to be joking. No joke, am I glad to see you here. I've been guiding Pokemon to safety, but I can't keep up. This situation calls for the Area Move Rain Dance, which Blastoise have. Come with me, you two!

*Everyone walk forward a bit...for some reason*

I hate admitting this, but my Styler's malfunctioning from this crazy heat. That's why I need you two to go capture a Blastoise. Take a path to the west (←). There should be one by the water. I'll stay back and keep an eye out for Pokemon in trouble! I'm counting on you to bring back that Blastoise! *leave*

There's still more Pokemon roaming around, though. Roselia here might seem uninteresting, but...

:stare:

It's actually not as bad as it looks since they deal 0 damage thanks to the Styler upgrade.

Base EXP: 13

There's more of those strange machines lying around. They must be connected to this fire somehow. But right now, we need a Blastoise's help. Take the path to the west (←) and find the Blastoise near the water!
We have to find that Blastoise! Crawford said there's one by the water after we go down the path.

Crawford won't let us go to the east side of this area. It's the same place Luana won't let us go last update.

Buizel shoots two consecutive bubbles slowly enough that if you wait for it to finish, its HP will drain back down to 0.

The slowness also means we can sneak in a loop between each bubble, though. This is a technique that will be very important later.

There's a small clearing on the west path with pretty much nothing in it. It's purely a transition area.

The path leads back to the first area of the forest. Blastoise will charge at us when it spots us. Of course, we'll take damage if it hits us.

Being a fully-evolved starter, it has suitably intimidating attacks. Yes, the puddle and jetstream are separate attacks.

However, just like Gastrodon, Pachirisu pretty much trivializes it. Yeah, Pachirisu is pretty much the "easy mode" partner right now.

Base EXP: 40

But wait! There's still more to this path!

I'm surprised you made it here.

This spot is not as secluded as where you're standing, though. In fact, there's no way for us to reach you right now.

The second turtle also charges at us, by the way.

Blastoise and Grotle are pretty much this mission's equivalent of Gastrodon and Graveler.

If only Blastoise's name starts with a G...

Base EXP: 30

It looks like it's feeling motivated, too! Its Area Move could work! So, where do we use that Area Move? It's something you have to find yourself. Don't worry, you should have a moment of inspiration that tells you the spot. If you find the right spot, "?" will appear over your head. If ? is showing, that's where you should be using an Area Move. So, in our case, you should touch the Blastoise and prepare to Rain Dance. Also, you can touch the "?" to check what Pokemon may be able to help.
*When talked to* Blastoise's Area Move can do something about this fire!

A Blastoise should be able to make it rain!

Remember Staryu's field move in the first game? Where it's used only once in the entire game? Well, there's more of them now :confuoot:

brought an umbrella for this fire! Haha! Just joking, of course! We got soaked for glory! This will at least prevent the forest's Pokemon from being hurt. Good work, Luana and Kellyn. Soaked and dripping, it's Mission Clear!

What caused this fire, though? And why are there so many of the same strange machines from the Marine Cave? ...I can't... I'm too burnt out to think straight.

:downsrim:

Let's head back to the Ranger Base.

*As the three begin to leave...*

*The myterious guy ran away*

Why'd he try to run? Something's not right here.

*The three chase after the guy*

This guy's got burns. We need to get this guy back to the Ranger Base for treatment. Let's go. Those burned-out machines... He might know something about them. We'll escort this guy to the Ranger Base. Kellyn, you should head back, too.

*Crawford, Luana and the myterious guy leave*

Now that we can access the northeastern part of the area, there's more new Pokemon available to us.

Combee is sadly wholly uninteresting.

New Music: Vien Forest

The way forward leads us to yet another barrier. Guess no more new Pokemon for us :sigh:

Your effort is appreciated. :unsmith:

that raging fire get doused. That heavy rain that opened up over only the Vien Forest... You Rangers had something to do with it, didn't you?
What I don't get is how a downpour like that would come along so conveniently. ...You did that? With a Blastoise's help, you say? Well, I'll be... Pokemon surely do have useful abilities, don't they? I'm still deathly a-scared of Pokemon, but you can also color me impressed!

I feel scared even now.
How did it rain, though? There's not a cloud in the sky!
It's a huge relief for the Pokemon, that's for certain.

You put out the fire?! Rangers really are awesome!

Oh, no, no. Thank you very much!
We feel ashamed for being so inattentive with Mimi.
Thank you for saving Mimi and the Happiny. I shudder to think how unsafe it was.

At least you two are still better parents than the one in Chicole Village.

badly scarred...

Ranger, why's your face all dirty?
Please tell me how you put out that fire sometime.
I'm glad everything's okay. Thank you, Rangers!

Nobody in Chicole Village have new dialogue (other than those with Quests), so let's report back to the base.

Kellyn... Your work today was simply outstanding. Good work, Rangers. Kellyn, I'm promoting you. You're now officially Ranger Rank 2!

Apparently this unlocks Fire and FIghting assists.

But this guy here reeking of oil... He wouldn't stop struggling even when Elaine was nice enough to tend to his burns. I'd say the guy has something to hide. Until he decides to talk, bind him up a smidgeon on the tight side!

Hey, oil-reeking guy, how about telling us your name at least? Otherwise, you're always going to be known as the "oil-reeking guy."

Oh, I see how it is. You want someone to think up a nickname for you. I'll do the honors and think of one. Let's see... You stink like oil for some reason, so how about "Oil-Stinker-Creep?" You like it, huh?
Leader, you fail at comedy. It's got no spark to it at all. And it's too long.

How about a name like "oil"? Like Ollie. Does that work for you, Ollie? Did you catch him smile? Then, it's decided! Ollie, it is! So, Ollie, tell us. Are you keeping something from us?

You're going to play stubborn with us, huh? He'll feel like talking when he gets hungry. Leave him tied up. Right now, I'm more concerned about the citizens of Vientown. Even though the fire is out, they must be upset and worried. Kellyn, I have another job for you. Go patrol the town. If there's any Quests you've missed, now's the chance to catch up. Report back to me even if you find nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah, we're not doing any Quests. We'll just talk to people here before turning in for the night.

The whole room reeks of oil.
What do you supposed Ollie was up to in the Vien Forest?
Leader told me to keep my hands off that machine until Prof. Hastings sees it. I hate waiting, though... I'm itching to take it apart.
Are you done patrolling?

Yeah.

All right! Things are going to be hectic for a while. You should get some rest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how his name kept changing.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We just received word from the Ranger Union. Prof. Hastings has returned from his trip, and he's on his way here. He's coming to examine that strange machine. I want you to go out to the Vien Forest and make sure the Professor isn't lost.

Oh good, we're on the receiving end of an escort quest this time. That means we don't have to do the hard part :toot:

That said, I'm sure there's still time to talk to everyone.

Prof. Hastings could get lost in the Vien Forest. That's why I want you to go. The Forest is just north (↑) of the town.

It's frightening.

Thank you for Mimi's Happiny!
I'm so grateful to you, Ranger. If it weren't for you, who knows what could have happened to Mimi and the Happiny...
Having the Ranger Base next door is reassuring.

signs I put up were burned in the fire.

Sorry for your loss :smith:

This one isn't actually new dialogue, but :shrug:

Well, sure, I'd like to be able to pat Pokemon on their heads and all that, but...
I heard they'd found more of those strange machines somewhere else?

Since that awful fire, I haven't seen any Combee come around these parts. The Combee are very kind. They always share some of their sweet honey with me. Please, may I have even a glimpse of a Combee?

Accept Quest

Thank you. It's very kind of you. The Combee usually gather honey in the Vien Forest. I do hope they are doing well after the fire...

I wasn't planning on doing this Quest now, but since we already have Combee...

Were you frightened by that awful fire? Oh, you'll give me your honey? You've always been so generous! Thank you kindly, Ranger. This honey will let me bake cookies for my granddaughter again.

*The old lady and Combee leave*

2 down, 59 more Quests to go :shepicide:

As usual, I went out to the Vien Forest this morning to pick up sticks. There were several logs down that were blocking the trails. I suspect they toppled as a result of that ruinous fire. I've been doing what i can to clear the fallen timber, but I'm an old man. I'm not up to clearing large fallen logs. Could I get you to clear them instead?

Accept Quest

Ah, spoken like a true Ranger! If I recall, there were two more fallen logs blocking the forest's paths.

Yes, these logs appear only WHILE we accept this quest. Can't finish this instantly like the one we just did.

but that silly barrier on Lookout Ridge... Who knows what they'd hoped to achieve, but a hopelessly flimsy thing it was. A chop here, a kick there, and it fell apart as if it were made of toothpicks! A spot of exercise, that was all that was!

Guess Hastings has trained since the first game :thumbsup:

But that dashed Wendy, suggesting she'd fly me to Vientown on her Staraptor... She said that knowing full well how I detest the very thought of flying... Tease me, will she? But, the joke's on her! Walking is the best for health, not riding everywhere. Of course, my impatient nature means that I'm always jogging rather than walking...

I don't think this was mentioned in Ranger 1, but I guess we now know why he didn't just take the Dragonite Bus in that game :ms:

*Notices Kellyn* Hmn? Who might you be? A Ranger, are you? Do you make a habit of eavesdropping on old folks like me? Oh, wait, I remember you! You came out on a 1-day Internship! Ah, so you've graduated from the Ranger School, and you've made it as a Ranger. I'm Prof. Hastings of the Ranger Union. I'm pleased to meet you. Now, come! We'll jog to Ranger Base!

So, this is your strange machine. ...Oh, now wait... I've eseen something like this somewhere. It was recently, too. Uh... That's it! I've seen this same thing on the way over here! In Pueltown! Yes, it was in Pueltown where I saw some men carrying some machines like this. I remember them struggling with one, presumably because of its heavy weight. I'd taken them to be mailboxes, but it seems I was mistaken! We'll need someone to conduct an investigation in Pueltown right away!

...Machines? Plural? :ohdear:

There you have it, people. This is an emergency Mission. Luana and Kellyn, go investigate the strange machines in Pueltown.

Music: Mission Received

Pueltown is right on the other side of the Vien Forest. Just inside the town, you'll find a facility for Rangers called the Ranger Depot. You should recharge your Stylers there. These strange machines aren't welcome in that beautiful port town. You two do something about them before it's too late.

The people here had the same dialogue earlier this update, but now they have new ones :toot:

For an oily guy, he hasn't let his tongue slip yet. But he hasn't given us the slip, either. He might be oily, but slick he's not!

:rimshot:

Finally! I'm getting to dismantle that machine!
I should have realized something was amiss then and there...
The strange machine took the Field Move Soak for its Target Clear, right? We should capture Pokemon with that Field Move before we get there. Oh, Pueltown's to the north (↑) of the Vien Forest.

An actually useful advice! Thank you, Luana! :thumbsup:

Music: Vien Forest

down to the ground.

Now we get to trek down Vien Forest with its actual area music, not that Mission Start one.

That mission music is fine and all, but it gets old very quick.

Now that Hastings have broken those barriers (somehow), we can get further into the forest :toot:

All we see is a few old Pokemon and some Beedrill that will chase us now that they're not up a tree :confuoot:

enjoy the spectacular view!

This place is called the Lookout Ridge. I like shouting from here!

:allears:

It felt good to do that.

Do you see that construction site over there? They're putting up a tower. They say it's going to be the symbol of peace in Almia. There's a contest for naming it. How does Echo Tower sound to you?
*When talked to* When they finish building that tower, the view from here will be that much nicer.

This is not what Woodward was asking us to cut. He asked us to cut the Fallen Log, not Fallen Tree. We don't have access to any Pokemon with Lv3 Cut, in any case.

"Vientown is on the other side of the Vien Forest."

This area is the only one with an actual fork with it. The side path leads to...

here cave.

What rare Pokemon will we find inside this cave? :dance:

:flaccid:

Well that side path was a massive disappointment. Good thing the main path has a new Pokemon for us.

Bibarel took a lot of loops, but it's Water type, so Pachirisu trivializes it. Just like how Pachirisu trivializes Gastrodon and Blastoise.

I'm really glad you guys picked Pachirisu.

Bibarel is the only Pokemon with Lv2 Soak nearby. So if you didn't bring Wartortle, you'll have to catch it every time you want to destroy one of those red machines.

Or you can go all the way back to the start of the forest. Either works.

Base EXP: 35

Pueltown's not far. It's a brisk walk to the north (↑).

As we walk closer to Pueltown, we can hear a familiar noise...

It's faint, but I can hear it. Is this the same strange noise you heard in the Marine Cave? If it is, Pokemon are going to be in trouble!

*The two runs off*

But before we see the condition in Pueltown, let's see our new Glossary entries and our "new" Poke assists.

It's very awkward doing this assist with a mouse.

It no longer stops Pokemon from moving, so it's nowhere near as useful as it was in Ranger 1.

The game nerfed Fighting by making it weak against Ghost. It still works perfectly fine against Poison, Flying, Bug and Psychic, though :v:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 3, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Thank you for Mimi's Happiny! I'm so grateful to you, Ranger. If it weren't for you, who knows what could have happened to Mimi and the Happiny...
I'm so grateful to you, Ranger. If it weren't for you, who knows what could have happened to Mimi and the Happiny...

They both say the same thing?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Turns out they don't. It's now fixed.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Before we start the mission, let's go back to Vientown a bit to get some dialogue I missed.

As you can see, we're a family of seven. Laundry, cooking... It's all challenging.
Oh, hi, Ranger! Thank you for saving Mimi's Happiny! Please stay in Vientown forever!

I hope nothing bad like that ever happens again.
I feel sorry for the Pokemon that had to leave the forest from the fire.
Honey, I sincerely thank you for calming our Miltank while I was away. Thanks to you, we got all the milk we needed from it. I'll bring by a fresh batch of our tasty milk pudding as our family's show of thanks. It'd be right nice if you'd share it with your Ranger Base friends.
Um, um. Yes?
That fire the other day... That was surely terrifying, if I may say so. Why, it was so terrifying, I had to laugh. Wasn't much else I could do. I'm still plenty a-scared.

You mean like this :stonklol:?

...Right. Back to the mission.

New Music: Pueltown

We probably shouldn't went back to Vientown... :ohdear:

Just the people I wanted to see! Howdy! The name's Brook! I'm in charge of the drawbridge north (↑) of this town, but that's beside the point. The point I'm trying to make is: what's become of the Pokemon around here? Just between us, I saw something decidedly wrong. I saw some shady characters placing these giant...I don't know...mailboxes in town. Right after that, the Pokemon in town all went weird like they are now. There's something crooked going on!
We have to do something before it's too late!

Music: Mission Start!

Oh, but this is important. If your Styler Energy is low, have it recharged at the Ranger Depot. That building there is the Ranger Depot. An Operator will happily recharge your Styler. There's also a Save Machine. You do not want to miss that!

Other than those two things, there are absolutely nothing in those Ranger Depots. Just having a recharge and save machines lying around would've fulfilled the same purpose.

The way things are going, looking after the bridge is the least of my worries! How can I be useful here?
*When talked to* We need the help of Pokemon to stop this strange machine.

I think Luana is indirectly saying that we don't need Brook's help. Which, to be fair, is true.

"Pueltown: The number one port in all Almia."

That board has a map of Pueltown. It's the region's huge city. If Vientown is Almia's Ringtown, then Pueltown is Almia's Fall City.

Running around destroying the mind-controlling machines is definitely more engaging than running around doing errands, though.

Good thing we came prepared.

The Pokemon are still acting as if they're under hypnosis. How many of these machines are there...?

New Music: Team Dim Sun!

The right grunt is "Very Shady Guy" and the left grunt is "Terribly Shifty Guy" :allears:

(Shady) Heh, that's that. All the Gigaremo units are set. Finally.
(Shifty) Why is it that those Gigaremo machines are so ridiculously heavy? Four guys! That's what it takes to move one. Couldn't they have designed it with the guys that have to use it in mind?

*Those two grunts leave*

Yeah, these are our evil team, and they're called Team Dim Sun. The team's name won't be revealed until next update, but whatever :v:

"A relaxing gathering place sponsored by Altru Inc."

*When talked to* The Pokemon are still acting as if they're under hypnosis. How many of these machines are there...?

Well, this makes two.

Now, you let me worry about those shady characters. For starters, I flipped up Norward Bridge, which is north (↑) of here. No one's going to be escaping in that direction, I'll tell you that. Yeah, I'd say things are getting mighty exciting around these parts! I'll make a promise to you. I'll catch 'em, then truss 'em up a smidgeon on the tight side. Consider it my gift to you! *leaves*
That Brook... He means well, but...

Now that the this area is free of Gigaremo, we can capture the new Pokemon here.

I know we could capture them while they're brainwashed, but I want to keep them :downs:

Tyrogue sometimes hop around a bit, but it's mostly there for flavor. It's uninteresting otherwise.

Base EXP: 20

Chatot's notes move slowly, but they also move in a wavy pattern so they can be a bit hard to avoid.

The notes change into double-notes midway through. I don't know why they bothered, but I found it interesting :effortless:

In Ranger 1, approaching two Pokemon simultaneously like this would get us into a multi-Pokemon capture. In this game it brings us instead to multiple captures one right after the other.

With the 3 second loading time before and after captures, this makes things a lot more annoying. Easier, but annoying.

Growlithe might not be interesting gameplay-wise, but it is definitely a Good Boi :kimchi:

Rattata, like Seedot, is no longer caught in one loop. For now.

Pueltown is divided into 4 areas horizontally with exit on the north and south of the second area from the left (our current area).

Obviously, the way we have to go is through the stairs we just freed up, but before that, let's see what's in the other paths we can take.

Nothing, apparently, save for a Gigaremo we don't have the Pokemon to destroy yet and an (unshown and brainwashed) Elekid..

Don't you worry about a thing now! As long as I don't lower the Norward Bridge, those shady guys aren't getting out. You just let me take care of things!

Get it? Norward Bridge in the north? :downsrim:

Well, up the stairs we go.

This machine is a different color. Is it a different type?

It sure is! Would've been more surprising if we haven't seen the blue one, though.

There's a path to the right which leads to the bridge where we saw those grunts. Obviously, we can't go there right now.

There's still another Gigaremo here, so we'll skip the brainwashed new Pokemon for now and go to the houses. Yes, there's houses we can explore :dance:[/i]

One of them is a two-storey apartment with an unattended Good Boi.

I'm staying put right here.
Are they shooting a movie or something? It's loud outside.

TV A large-screen, flat-panel TV. It's just a wall turned off.
Fridge An ordinary refrigerator. Milk pudding is cooling inside.

This string of incidents we've had has kept us going at full steam. I'd even consider hiring your Crawford away as another reporter.
Hello, Ranger, working hard? Would you like to see back issues of our Almia Times? We keep them on the bookshelf at the back.

Right table It's Reporter Hans jovial humor column. It's not finished yet.
Left table This PC is connected to a news network for the latest news from all over.
Upper table Freshly printed newspapers. They smell of ink.

Lower stand There's even a newspaper from the Fiore region.
Middle stand It's a newspaper on energy put out by Altru Inc.
Upper stand It's a fishing newspaper. People seem too busy to read it.
Right bookshelves Binders are lined up, but there's nothing in them. They'll be filled with upcoming issues of the Almia Times.

Like the woman said, we can view past editions of the Almia Times on those bookcases. Each bookcase contains two editions, but we're not given the option of viewing just one of them.

Apparently there's a new edition available. I don't know if we'll ever actually see this one on normal gameplay, but there you go.

about outside? We had to bring our plants in from outside so they wouldn't get trampled.
Bringing in our plants turned out to be quite the job.

Well, those are the only residents we can bother, so I guess we should get around to helping them or something.

Music: Team Dim Sun!

The other guy is still named "Terribly Shifty Guy", by the way :allears:

(Shady) we found two Rangers!
(Shifty) Oh, they've gone and done it now! They're busting up our Gigaremo units! We have to let our Leader know!

*Shady and Shifty leave*

Gigaremo? I'm positive I heard them say "Gigaremo." Is that what those strange machines are called? What are those sneaky people conspiring to do? Let's tail them.

Before we go chase them, let's take a look at the new Pokemon here.

Such as this mystery Pokemon!

Who's this Pokemon!?

It's a trap disappointment an item impersonator!

Well, at least Voltorb can open this gate. That makes them about 10 times more useful than in the mainline games.

Oh yeah, there's also Magby.

Eh, Good Boi's better.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 20, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Any Pokemon game is significantly improved by having Growlithe in it and this is no exception.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Very Shifty Guy and Terribly Shady Guy are great names in their own right but also a lot better than Grunt.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Hey, Voltorb does his best, ok? :(

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love Voltorb, I wish he didn't evolve into Electrode who looks pretty lame in comparison. Angry Ball forever.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I know the name is probably intended to foreshadow the obvious bad guys, but the clear truth of the matter is because the rich guy needed a job for his idiot child. This also explains why a bunch of other nitwits got hired in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In a series that already manages to insinuate the grunts of evil teams being morons (especially Galactic), Team Dim Sun really stands out for having the whole organization sound like a bunch of idiots.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

1234567890num posted:

We have one more available quest, but we can do that later. So sure, we'll rest.Music: Mission Start

I think you accidentally duplicated the update twice (underneath this line) during the Gastrodon update with the cave machine getting destroyed?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
This game was released 12 years ago today in Japan

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Any Pokemon game is significantly improved by having Growlithe in it and this is no exception.

:hfive:

Booky posted:

I think you accidentally duplicated the update twice (underneath this line) during the Gastrodon update with the cave machine getting destroyed?

I don't know how that happened. Should be fixed now.

mateo360 posted:

This game was released 12 years ago today in Japan

:toot::japan::toot:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's Elekid.

It's just like Pichu.

I wish we have a more interesting start... :sigh:

Music: Tension

Looks like my wish is granted :confuoot:

Hang on, Melody! There's nothing to fear now! Brook's here to save the day!

Oof, darn it... Super Brook Jump!

Melody, you're not hurt, are you? There's nothing to worry about now. Why did these things suddenly attack you anyway?

*A moment pass*

So! ...Erm. I dove into the middle of this, but... Now what?

:bravo:

Oh my gosh! We've got to help them quickly!
*When talked to* Rather than deal with the hypnotized Pokemon, let's wreck the Gigaremo.
*When talked to* Mr Brook...
*When talked to* I don't know what to say for myself...

We can burn the green Gigaremo next to them, but there's still the blue gigaremo we saw last update.

Of course, we also have an apartment and a bunch of houses to visit before we deal with that.

Please tell my little brother he can't go outside now!

said something interesting. "I hope the latest model is completed. This old type is too stinking heavy!" That's what they said.

TV It's a WII Remote. Don't mix it up with your Styler.
Fridge There's no ON/OFF switch. The refrigerator is always on.

The Pokemon are whooping it up outside. Is Altru's commemoration event today?

Fridge The freezer is stocked with ice cream shaped like Clefairy.

I hope you excel at being a Ranger!
Oh! Pokemon Rangers! Please help the Pokemon!

Fridge This looks normal from the outside. But Pokemon stickers are plastered inside.
TV A compact TV. It doesn't draw much power.
Bookshelf It's an expensive bookshelf. It left no money to buy books.

:(

...That's my dad's favorite saying.
Daddy should take a holiday from making that bridge go up and down. On a day like this, he should be home with us!
My son should be keeping watch at the bridge, but...

Isaac and Melody are my wonderful grandchildren.

TV It's a wide-screen TV. It's perfect for watching soccer.
Fridge It's rude to go poking around in someone else's refrigerator.

I love that this game has a lot of descriptions for TV and fridges :allears:

All right, time to destroy the Gigaremo.

The walls block our Target Clear, so we have to take care of this gate first.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case in Ranger 1. It doesn't matter either way.

Are you okay? You're not hurt?
I don't know what to say for myself...
I saw some bad-looking people walking to the harbor?
They went to the harbor? Let's go after them! The harbor is on the east side (→) of Pueltown.
This girl, Melody, has an older brother named Isaac. But he can't come home often at all because he's so busy with work. That's why Brook here's like a big brother to little Melody. I'll see her home now. Thanks, Rangers!

*Melody and Brook leave*

Let's chase after the shady gang. We'll go east (→) on Pueltown's lower road to reach the harbor.

You saved my dear Melody, didn't you? I can never thank you enough.
I don't know how we can ever thank you enough...

Melody might be back in her home, but Brook isn't back in his.

The final and eastmost area is the port. There's more new Pokemon we won't catch right now, like this Wingull and...wait...

...I somehow forgot to grab Magnemite way back in the main area :doh:

Base EXP: 15

There are only 5 battery Pokemon in this game, and Magnemite is the second. It heals 10 HP.

Back to the port, there's this empty bar.

Video: Toxicroak

In addition to "Very Shady Guy" and "Terribly Shifty Guy", we now have "Pretty Sneaky Guy" and "Seriously Sketchy Guy" :allears:

(Sneaky) wrecking the Gigaremo units!
(Sketchy) It's because we took so long installing them. It's not our fault they're so heavy. It's all right. We managed to score some data from the experiment. We should ditch this backwater place without getting into useless trouble.

:eng101: Experiment (noun): A scientific procedure undertaken to make a discovery, test a hypothesis, or demonstrate a known fact.

What'll we do? We can't just do nothing... Let's chance it and ask them. Are you ready?

We have Magnemite and there's no Ground or Psychic Pokemon available, so we're as ready as we can be.

Can you please explain what exactly those machines are? And what is this experiment you mentioned?

(Sketchy) Y-You vandals! What do you have against Gigaremo? Treat things with respect!
(Sneaky) Who are we, you ask? We're Team Dim Sun! We're a criminal syndicate with dreams of world domination! We came to Pueltown for experimenting with our Gigaremo machines! To see if Gigaremo units will let us control Pokemon like puppets!

Now that the game told us the name of the evil team, they're just called "Team Dim Sun Grunt/Admin." No more funny names... :sadwave:

Whoa! Why'd you tell them anything!?
(Sneaky) Oh no! I thought I was being helpful! They took advantage of my kindness! I'll make them forget what they heard with a little unfriendly persuasion! Team Rattata, attack!

New Music: Team Dim Sun Battle (Weak Grunt)

I'm going to be skipping most of the grunt battles. The only reason I'm showing this one is because we have new music.

(Sketchy) I underestimated you, but this time, it's for real! Go, Toxicroak!

New Music: Team Dim Sun Battle (Strong Grunt)

Ah, our second boss. Only 9 updates after the first.

Toxicroak attacks with poison gas and moves by jumping around.

It also creates puddles. These attacks aren't threatening, but this is still a good chance to show off our partner's assist.

Pachirisu gives us 8 seconds of assist. The lightning takes 1 second to appear. If the timer runs out during that one second, the lightning is cancelled.

Either way, it's still pretty useful. Assists in this game generally will help, but they won't make-or-break a capture.

After we filled in 2/3 of its health, Toxicroak moves onto the second phase. It changes the pattern of its poison gas and its jumps are both faster and further.

Toxicroak's attacks deal 6 damage, which is a lot at this point. It can be dangerous if you're not careful, especially with that mid-battle change-up.

That said, I do have a Magnemite, so I'm not in any real danger here.

Base EXP: 50

Considering Bibarel gives 35 while Blastoise gives 40, 50 EXP is kinda :flaccid:

That's enough! It's a waste of time to engage them! Sound the retreat! But we have to take this Gigaremo back to the Hideout! It's heavy, but the punishment for failure will be heavier still!

*Sound of a boat horn*

Music: Mission Clear

Who knew they came by sea?! My raising the bridge was a wasted effort. But there's nothing to worry about. I may not look it, but I'm one fine swimmer, if I may say so myself. I'll catch 'em, and haul 'em back, boat and all, as my gift to you! Just let me take care of things! Super Brook Jump! *jumps*

He dove in with his sandals clenched between his teeth... Do you suppose he'll be okay...?

:ohdear:

quieted down. So, what's the first thing I see? Brook, sandals in his mouth, swimming out to sea. Anyone care to tell me what's up?
He went chasing after some crooks who fled in a boat. I'm a little worried.
Oh, I think I get the picture. "Just let me take care of things!" Am I right? It's nothing new. Just let him do as he likes. He can swim all right, but he's not about to catch up to any boat. He'll be back soon enough.

Pueltown's known for this salty sea breeze and Brook here.
Boy, I'm glad Brook came back safely. I have an admission to make: I've never had a Mission this dangerous before. We sure have a lot to report to the Ranger Base, don't we? Let's fill them in over voicemail while we go back to Vientown.

*Luana uses the voicemail, but we don't get to hear it*

*When talked to* Blecch! Why does the sea have to be so salty?
*When talked to* I'm exhausted from today. We have to file a proper report to our Leader, though. Let's go back to the Ranger Base.

All in a day's work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Does Team Dim Sun's music remind anyone else of Donkey Kong?

Also, I remember Toxicroak being the first challenge I had in this game.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Mission Clear

Well, the town might be saved, but our job isn't done yet.

Raticate's bite is similar to Rattata, but it has significantly more range.

Base EXP: 34

Raticate is can be considered this mission's bonus boss since it takes a lot of loops.

(Left) Our vacation's getting spoiled.
(Right) The travel pamphlets had high praise for this as a safe and tranquil port, but...

Raticate is one of those Pokemon that chases us and is faster than us. Every time it catches us, that's 5 seconds wasted. Raticate's aggro area is small so it'll only catch up once, but later Pokemon won't be so generous.

There's really nothing new up the bridge, so let's catch this Wingull. Thankfully, Wingull will no longer randomly fly out of reach.

Just tackle? Meh.

Now that we've destroyed all Gigaremo and saved all Pokemon here, the NPCs have new dialogue.

Music: Pueltown

You had to rush everywhere, didn't you?
Oh! Pokemon Rangers! Did you do that loopy thing? Loop, loop, loop-de-loop?

Sure did! :smug:

There's nothing to worry about now! Right?
The electric gates on the stairs are new to us. They say Altru Inc. developed them. I don't think they match the town's atmosphere, do you?

:thunkher:

Can I go outside now?

The commotion outside seems to have quieted down.

Who would do such a terrible thing? And why?

What was all that commotion about?
Things are fine now. It's the only way Pueltown should be!

No NPC dialogue here. Just showing what Ranger Depots look like. It's not much.

Music: Vien Forest

Pictured: an example of a Quest we can't accept because we still have Woodward's. Remember that? We accepted it 3 updates ago.

Our task is to cut both Fallen Logs (not Fallen Trees). Simple enough.

Both logs are located in the first area of the forest (from Vientown), so this Quest isn't tedious, all things considered. Roselia is available in just the next area.

Good, good! Very kind of you!

This lengthens our line by 50%. Meh.

Forest fires can start from dry branches scraping against each other in the wind. But the fire we had, there was nothing natural about it.

doing honest work.

yummy!

Before we turn in the mission, let's do this quest real quick.

Hey, believe it or not, I'm really angry. Lately, big wooden crates have been washing up on Nabiki Beach. I think someone's throwing them off a cargo ship or something. It's bad for the environment, and it ruins how the beach looks! A couple washed up this morning, too. Big Bertha smashed them with her fists and took them home for firewood. If you see any crates on the beach, can you do something about them, too?

Sure.

That's right! I knew you would, Ranger!

Just grab a nearby Bidoof and destroy this crate. Simple.

Giga---- --Type 08-U (PRO-OTY-E)

Bo-- c-lor: Re-
Ene-gy: F--e

The rest of the text is illegibly blurred by seawater.

Would've been more useful if not for the Styler magically knowing how to destroy those Gigaremos.

Do I talk too mannish for a kid?

Yes, eventually we're going to get these for all types. If we talk to the boy again...

You Rangers sure seem to be busy these days.

What they say about Nabiki Beach... It was true after all!
I decided I adore my boyfriend after all. He did what he could to protect the forest!

:unsmith:

Oh, hey, good going, you two! ...Luana? Why the long face?
LIke I reported by voicemail, I'm upset those five Team Dim Sun creeps got away. What makes it worse is how they also got the one remaining Gigaremo machine...
You're being too hard on yourself. You two did more than enough for a rookie and a second-year Ranger. What does concern me is this Team Dim Sun. What are they about? Anyway, ypu two have done well. It's Mission Clear!

Prof. Hastings and Elaine are taking apart that Gigamori machine. ...What's that? Gigaremo, and not Gigamori? You know what I meant. I just need to get that Giga part right. You've got to be bushed. Do you want to rest up a bit?

Sure, after we do the usual rounds

You'd think the people in town would be worried.
I can't figure out why dismantling things is so fun.
The parts are crude and heavy. Nothing is computer controlled, it seems. It's as if it were a machine made a generation ago.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really have a problem with this game's spritework sometimes. The adults are fine but the "kid" sprites look so old, sometimes I can't tell at all they're meant to be children.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I guess they're meant to be more like teenagers? The game just calls them boy/girl regardless, so :shrug:

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This brings back fond memories. The QoL improvements on this game are amazing. Plus, this and the first ranger game are the only Pokemon games that I've gotten a complete Pokedex in.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

dismantle the Gigarama. What? Gigaremo? Not Gigarama? Don't sweat the details! You have to look at the big picture. Speaking of big, Big Bertha dropped by with an armload of milk pudding! Eat up, eat up!

We get a pudding instead of a rank up. Hooray :confuoot:

That's our Miltank's way of saying thanks. It'll give you lots of energy! *Gives the pudding to Kellyn and tries to give it to Ollie*
The guy refuses to say a thing. Just stick a spoon in his mouth. That'll be plenty.
Now, hush. That's no way to treat anyone. He's the hungriest looking of everyone here.
*To Ollie* What was your name again? Ollie? Eat up now. Here, I'll spoon it for you. See, isn't it tasty like I told you? That's right. Have some more. You don't need to chew this. Go slow. Don't spill. If it's not enough, I can't get all the more you need.
...Urf... I...I don't deserve this... Sniffle... I... I... The Vien Forest's fire... That fire... It's all my fault! I'm clumsy, and I spilled Gigaremo's fuel... It splashed all over, and then... A spark plug went, and that lit the fuel, and the fire spread wildly, and... I didn't even know those guys... I just met one long ago. He said I could make some easy money, so I accepted. I didn't know what a Gigaremo was, or who they were, or anything... I'm sorry. It's my fault. Y-Your milk pudding was d-delicious... Sniffle... Sob...

:ms:

How's he supposed to wipe away his tears when he's all tied up like that?
Hey, Kellyn. Untie Ollie's rope.
*When talked to* Well, at least we know why Ollie reeks of oil.
*When talked to* I don't like how things are going. It's a flood of bad news.
*When talked to* This needs further study before we can draw any conclusions.
*When talked to* Untie the rope around Ollie, please.

To begin untying the rope, we need to talk to Ollie.

Snivel... Big Bertha's kindness got to me... It brought back memories of my mom...
You've got to untie that rope. I don't think I can manage it myself.

Ggh! Nggghhh...

It must be hard to untie the rope when it's bound a smidgeon tightly. Let me help, too. *helps Kellyn*

Ngghhh! Ngggghhhhh!

Elaine, there has to be someting in your toolbox for this.

*Elaine helps with the rope*

Ggwhh! SNAP!

Actually, all cut up! Let's hear it for Elaine, our queen for dismantling!
F-Freedom at last!
Don't overdo it!
Okay, people, break time's over. Big Bertha, thank you kindly for your always-delicious milk pudding. And, Ollie... You're free to go. Thanks for coming clean about everything you know. We know now that you were just being used by a mysterious bunch. And now... That mysterious bunch is starting to make some noise. Their name: Team Dim Sun... I'd like someone to go on patrol around here, just to be safe. Let's see... Kellyn, you go.
*When talked to* My tools came to the rescue today!
*When talked to* Well, I should set off for home and get cooking supper. *leaves*
*When talked to* Kellyn, I asked you to go on patrol.

When we try to leave...

Oh, yes, the Almia Times had a big article on the Pueltown incident.

Like I said, the game's skipping the Vien Forest Fire edition.

I'd like to see how she's doing, but I'm really bad at things like this. I'm too embarrassed to go alone... Please! Can you go with me?
*When talked to* I don't know how many months it's been since I last saw my friend...

Well, if you're OK with meandering along, sure!

strange machines somewhere else?

Not a lot of new NPC dialogues right now. This game's NPC talk isn't as interesting as Ranger 1's in general, to be honest.

Music: Chicole Village

A hat ghost?!
Big Brother, this way, quick!
My errand can wait. I think the hat ghost is a lot more important.
*When talked to* The hat ghost... I really think you should do someting.

In a world where Ghost Pokemon exists, you'd think a ghost hat wouldn't be an urgent matter, but :shrug:.

You can't see it, but the hat is shaking.

It is a hat ghost!
*When talked to* It's that hat!
*When talked to* Kellyn, I'm glad you came! You're a Ranger. You can capture a ghost, can't you?
*When talked to* Maybe you should take a chance and try capturing that hat.

Surprisingly there's no hat Pokemon (at least up until Gen 8).

Of course it's not a ghost. We haven't even "unlocked" it yet :v:

It just reused Chatot's attack :effort:

Oh! It was a Kricketot in the hat! It's so cute!
I thought it had to be something like that. Yep, I've been saying that all along. ...I did say that, you remember.
This Kricketot seems to like you, Big Brother!

:toot:

Is it true that you can only have one Partner Pokemon go with you?
Oh, poor Kricketot. Does it have to go bye-bye?
Oh, no, you don't have to do that. You can leave behind any Partner you're not taking to travel. All you need is a safe place for Pokemon to stay. And you also need a trusted person to care for the left-behind Partner Pokemon. You can switch your Partner Pokemon at the safe place whenever you like. For instance, you can go with Kricketot today, then Pachirisu tomorrow. ...That's what Elaine told me.
Well, if that's the case, we can make this your meeting spot. Why, coincidence of coincidences, this place is even named Partner Farm!
Really?! Daddy, thank you!
*To Kellyn* It's perfect, Big Brother! Now you can come home and change your Partner Pokemon anytime! Don't forget, because it's important. If you want to switch your Partner Pokemon, come back to Partner Farm.

There is no way to change it remotely, unfortunately. We'll eventually unlock fast travel, but...it's kind of annoying to use.

Would it be okay to do my errand now?
*When talked to* I think Kricketot is still nervous. You should wait a little before switching it.
*When talked to* This will make the Farm more lively. That suits me fine.

Eventually the farm will be populated with 16 Pokemon, which will make it even more lively! Eventually.

Whaaaaaaa...!? Ollie wasn't looking to see a friend!?! :geno:

I'm sorry I left you all alone for so long. ...I, um, how should I say this... I'm just so, so awkward and clumsy, and... I just fail at everything I do... Mom, I'm always causing you to worry... That's all I've ever been good at... But, um... I want... Please, I'm sorry, and um... ...I'm home, Mom.

"I'm home." Not how you're sorry or how you've made me worry or any of that. None of that matters to me. Nothing could make me happier than hearing your "I'm home." You look well, too... ...Welcome home, my son. I'm glad you came back.
It wasn't a friend, but my mom who I wanted to see. I'm sorry for lying to you. I felt so sheepish about this...
*When talked to* My son has stumbled in his life. It would be wonderful if he found a good partner to steady him.
*When talked to* I'm going to do my best to never make my mom cry over me again.

:unsmith:

You should see how it's doing. *goes home*

We can now actually change our Partner Pokemon. I'll leave it up to a vote later.

For now, we'll just do this quest.

We want you to investigate the bridge that's near the school. When I was playing there with my friends, we heard strange crying. The cries came from under the bridge. I think it's a Pokemon, but my friends say it's a ghost to scare me. If it really is a ghost, it would be awful. Can you go investigate it, Ranger?

Looks like we're dealing with another "ghost".

Yes! This is called a Quest, isn't it?

This is, like, the quest with the least effort needed.

Music: Ranger School Road

Around here, there are many ghosts.
Was it too scary to say it's a ghost?
Flozah.

There was a Floatzel under the bridge.

The Floatzel just shows up and immediately leave, depriving us a chance to capture it. We'll have our fill of Floatzel later.

You see? It wasn't a ghost at all!
Ahaha! Of course not! We were just pulling your leg! Sorry for that.
We're sorry we scared you. Let's be friends, okay?
Yes! Let's!
*To Kellyn* Ehehehe. Thank you for taking my Quest!

*The kids leave*

I love when we don't need to report back to finish the quest :)

Getting the go-ahead to dismantle the machine's given Elaine a bounce in her step.
You must be feeling run down. Do you want to call it a day?

We only did one Quest and one reQuest today, but sure.

Hmmmmm?! What might this be? This tiny black stone. Elaine, do you have any idea?
I've never seen anything like it, this stone. Should I try pulverizing it with a hammer? Or drill holes in it?
No, no, anything but that! 'll take it back with me to the Union and have our research staff examine it. Also, we should hold a meeting to discuss the Gigaremo threat. I propose that meeting be held tomorrow morning at the Union.
*To Barlow* Barlow! Come with me to the Union! I'll want your help preparing for the meeting tomorrow.
Yes, sir!
*To everyone* All right, people. That's the story. Mind the base while I'm out.

*Hastings and Barlow leave*

All right, now that we can change our Partner Pokemon, it's voting time! Who will we take for the next mission?

Your choices:
  • Pachirisu
  • Kricketot
  • ??? (we'll get it next update)

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 4, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, a bug's a bug, but a mystery Pokemon could be anything! It could even be a bug!

???

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wanna see what's in the box

???

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why wouldn't Ollie admit to not knowing who they were earlier? He was already the prime suspect. Just come clean about what you know, you weirdo.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I wanna see what's in the box

???

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Why wouldn't Ollie admit to not knowing who they were earlier? He was already the prime suspect. Just come clean about what you know, you weirdo.

Shame, like love, makes people do irrational things.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ollie getting his happy ending is good even if for some reason we never learn his actual name. Partner switching is also very good and I'm sad it didn't return in the sequel.

Go with ??? for the surprise factor.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

1234567890num posted:

It just reused Chatot's attack :effort:

This (and the noted less interesting NPC dialogue in general) is another big part of why I feel like this game kinda lacks the flavour the first game had; a lot of mons here reuse the same attacks or attack animations and just have different damage they deal while in Ranger 1 I can't really remember many mons reusing the same attacks, beyond the bite and hypnotic ray things.

Anyway, Kricketot, because bugs are good damnit :colbert:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

My name's ???. I'm going to be the world's greatest POKéMON trainer.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Black Robe posted:

Well, a bug's a bug, but a mystery Pokemon could be anything! It could even be a bug!

???

This makes perfect sense, so I am also picking ???.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Kricketot because bug supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voting for Gen 1 Glitch: ???

Speaking of which, it looks like the pikachu is the fat one from early gens before it went on a diet for its character art.