Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
We really bound and starved a man for who knows how long until he came clean.
It's good to be the good guys. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger Base

Have a look at this.

Aren't Top Rangers the coolest?

I wish my Partner Pokemon can fly me around :(

Barlow here. I know it's early in the morning, but we have a situation in our hands. I need you in Pueltown as soon as you can come.
Pueltown is the port to the north (↑) of the Vien Forest.
*When talked to* I enjoyed that dismantling. It's been a while since the last good one.

Before we go do that, let's do a quest real quick.

Music: Vien Forest

Nah... "Crisis" is too over the top. Earlier, I saw a Cranidos being chased by a Wartortle in the Vien Forest. I see them often scrapping over their territories. I felt sorry seeing the Cranidos run. Can you go rescue it?

Why not.

Yeah, there you go! That's the spirit!

We just have to go to where we caught our first Happiny.

We do have to capture these two, so it requires slightly more effort. Cranidos has no attack, though.

Base EXP: 20

By the way, on multi-Pokemon capture, the rank received will apply for all of them. So getting an S rank here will give us S for both Cranidos and Wartortle.

for fun after all. *leaves*

This doesn't give us any Styler powerup, but...

:toot:

This is how we're going to be getting most of our Partner Pokemon, including the two we didn't pick at the beginning.

I REALLY appreciate this option :allears:

Since you guys voted for the mystery option, we're going to keep Cranidos for a while.

Beedrill is another one of those Pokemon that's super aggressive and quick :argh:

There might not be a Beedrill gauntlet in this game, but this place certainly feels like it.

It's me, Hastings! We need you here now! Come quickly to Pueltown!
*When talked to* Welcome, welcome. Please enjoy the spectacular view that belongs to one and all!

along on that fancy tower. You can see how it's going from this Lookout Ridge. When it's done, they say it will be the tallest place in all of Almia.

There's a guy with a Quest on our way, but we'll leave it for later.

This is the situation: Norward Brige is stuck open, meaning no traffic can cross. Prof. Hastings needs to cross the bridge to get to the Ranger Union. You know he hates flying on a Staraptor, so he has to go by land. We got here last night, so we spent the night at the Ranger Depot. Anyway, you need to see the bridge.

Music: Pueltown

Good morning! Good morning, indeed! As you can see, Norward Bridge is stuck open with the spans upraised. The bridge operator is nowhere in sight! How are we supposed to get across?
The bridge's operator is named Brook. He means well, but he tends to end up just spinning his wheels.

That's our Brook :v:

Brook? I saw him in the harbor earlier.
Let's hustle to the harbor, then. The harbor is on the east side (→) of Pueltown, taking the lower walkway.
*When talked to* You must find the bridge's operator!
*When talked to* The Gigaremo incident's over, but the bridge is still blocked! Traffic needs to get through! What is that Brook doing?

Now that Pueltown has been saved, we have A LOT more NPC to talk to. It'll take us the rest of the update to get through them all, in fact.

We're here on a survey. We have an ongoing plan to redevelop this old town completely.
Don't you think it would be wonderful if they put up some tall buildings here? These roads should be widened as well, while they're at it.

bearing sand as merchandise. But business has been terrible. There is no demand for sand.

They fight all day long. It's one long feud, from morning to night. Worse, they fight through the four seasons as if nothing mattered. I've washed my hands of trying to get them to stop.
It's your fault for not keeping an eye on him! Our Eevee could have been abducted by those creeps!
It's your fault for scolding our Eevee so unfairly!

:yikes:

chased by Pokemon. Seems to happen a lot these days.

Unfortunately :(

my troubles.
In troubled times, people should find solace in the beauty of flowers.

will redevelop Pueltown. People are saying they'll rename this place to Altrutown... I may close my bookstore and move out to the country rather than stay for that.
I read that Pokemon Assists, or whatever they are, are really important. It said so in "The Beginner's Guide to Pokemon Rangers."

other Pokemon.

expectations of you Rangers.

We saved this city, you know :mad:

Is something the matter?
I'm glad Rangers go on patrols. I find it reassuring.

no one has time for my cafe.

observing the way Voltorb explodes. Don't do this at home, kids!

:science:

Have a cup of hot water?
Ranger, it must be hard for you with all the nasty things happening.

Maybe those creepy men took them?

Plenty of foreshadowing here.

at the Ranger School.
My daddy teaches how to do captures at the Ranger School. Uh-oh... That was supposed to be secret.

Too late now :v:

Can I watch you capture something?

Corporation. Is it called that? He's a diligent boy and a hard worker.
Pueltown being so peaceful, there's little call for you Arrangers, is there?

Can I have one?

Sure, after you go to school.

Have they figured out why the Pokemon behaved so oddly?

wearing black outfits.

The Cordelia Canal and the Norward Bridge spanning it are to the north (↑) of town. They were both built by Altru Inc.
My son's been put in charge of raising and lowering the Norward Bridge.

There are boats there that serve other communities in Almia.

machines. They said something that made a little worried. "Instead of this heavy thing, I wish they'd get done developing the new model." I'm sure they said that.

Altru Inc. is going to redevelop dreary old Pueltown for us. I would like to live in a modern condo tower, something around 40 stories tall.
This condo building is the highest in all Almia. That's in terms of both physical height and in terms of rent.

:homebrew:

Even as a wee lad, he was entranced by numbers and science.
Our granddaughter Melody is a sweet child who reveres her brother.

Were the Pokemon able to forget the nightmarish incident?

I can't get behind that.

angler than the man next to me.
Just between you and me, I make a better angler than the kid beside me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As a person who hasn't played a lot of Pokemon, I gotta say while I'm sure I must have heard of these Cranidos at least once before, I didn't know/remember they existed before this update.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm surprised at how out there the partner Pokemon have been. Not a single popular/mascot mon in either game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slaan posted:

I'm surprised at how out there the partner Pokemon have been. Not a single popular/mascot mon in either game

Sadly that only lasts until next game that has a Pichu as your Partner, but it is nice that this game picked such interesting mons as possible Partners.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm pretty sure the Sinnoh starters all counts as mascots, so...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's one Partner Pokemon quest that really makes me feel sorry for the Pokemon in question. That being the Ice one.

Also, it looks like your screen captures are glitching out for about half of the update.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The screen glitches are caused by the emulator. Nothing I can do about that :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's not that big of a deal. :)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Can you tell us why your Norward Bridge is still stuck open?
I'd like to see the bridge lowered into place just as much as you. But the key for raising and lowering the bridge is at the bottom of the sea. When I jumped into the sea after those creeps, the key fell out of my pocket!

And you don't keep any spares? :cripes:

Okay, we get the picture.
*To Kellyn* You heard the man. Kellyn, can you swim? Recover the key from under the sea. This Micro Aqualung will let you breathe underwater. You obtained the Micro Aqualung!

You can now swim underwater!

I... Uh... I'll stay on shore. It... It'll be better that way. Don't ask me why. You're on your own on this!

It's time for a water level. Hooray :geno:

I'll explain how things work when you go into the sea. First, you can't take any land-based Pokemon into the sea. The reverse is also true: you can't bring Pokemon from the sea back onto land. Don't worry about leaving Pokemon behind, though. The land Pokemon will wait for your return while you're in the sea. The sea Pokemon you capture will wait for you to come back when you return to land. See? Nothing to worry about.

This means that the Partner Pokemon vote was useless! :confuoot:

The least I can do to help is take you out by boat to where I lost that key. No thanks to that Gigaremo incident, all the boat runs out of Pueltown are closed, see. What I can do is ask a good captain friend of mine to loan me his boat. You just let me take care of things.

We can say no to talk to people.

No, I'm not going out to sea! Don't ask me why!

But Barlow is the only person available, so let's set sail.

New Music: Set Sail

There are fast-running currents, though. Be careful down there.

New Music: Underwater

This place looks nice. Too bad the underwater sections in this game suck.

For one, swimming underwater controls like walking on slippery ice. At least there's no holes for us to fall into. For now.

There's our key, but new Pokemon are far more important.

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

Like Finneon, a Water Pokemon with a Water assist.

Music: Capture Complete

Base EXP: 26

Music: Underwater

*Sharpedo flees along with the key*

Welp.

Barlow here. Have you found the key yet? What's that?! A Sharpedo grabbed the key and took off with it? Fine, I'm upgrading this to a full Mission! Get the bridge key back from the Sharpedo!

Music: Mission Received

Music: Mission Start!

Underwater areas might suck, but at least it doesn't play the Mission Start music continuously.

Also, apparently Brook swam this far before realizing that it's pointless. That's both amazing and amazingly stupid.

Anyway, Chinchou. I don't know why this hit doesn't register, but I won't complain :v:

Remember when I said there's 5 Pokemon with Recharge? Turns out I completely forgot about these water Pokemon :sweatdrop:

The Mantyke was in the bottom part of the area, near where the key was.

Base EXP: 21

It's a Water Pokemon with Water assist.

The exit to the east is blocked, so we have to go south.

More new Pokemon!

Qwilfish is a Water Pokemon with Water assist.

Base EXP: 29

These currents are just water versions of ledges. Because we can't jump underwater.

I mean, yeah, you can't jump while you're diving with all the heavy equipment, but that Micro Aqualung doesn't seem that heavy :mad:

Anyway, this is the only way we can go.

We can break the rock, but...

...we can't reach Sharpedo. The abyss is the underwater version of rivers. We need a Pokemon with Surf (or is it Dive?) to get through it.

We CAN reach Staryu this way, though.

It is a Water Pokemon with Water Assist.

Base EXP: 22

I'm sure you're noticing a theme here.

The other way from the rock has another current, but it also has a new Pokemon.

It is, yet again, a Water Pokemon with Water Assist.

Base EXP: 25

I'm sure an underwater area is a cool concept, but when 90% of Pokemon here are Water type with Water assist, it just end up being boring. The only non-Water Pokemon we've seen so far is Chinchou.

Not to mention that most of the assists will be uneffective. At least Water assist inflicts Slow, so it's not completely useless here. Chinchou would've been a godsend with Electric assist, but alas.

Anyway, we can now go the other way from the first area.

It brings us to another wood obstacle. Hooray :geno:

At least the game is nice enough to put Staryu nearby. For all its slowness, the game is generally good about not requiring much backtracking (except for Quests).

Barlow here. If you need to swim across deep canyons underwater, a Mantine can help you. ...Or so I'm told. Capture a Mantine or two!

Mantine is, surprise surprise, a Water Pokemon with Water assist.

Base EXP: 18

Remember what I said about underwater areas having slippery controls? Well, hope you don't accidentally get into the current! :buddy:

A Mantine should be able to swim across deep chasms underwater!

With Mantine's help, we can chase the Sharpedo.

We have to get back on "land", so we have to say goodbye to Mantine :sadwave:

Barlow here. Sharpedo swim extremely quickly. ...Or so I'm told. You'll have to catch fast-moving currents to catch up to your Sharpedo.

And now, the worst part of this mission by far.

Chase sequence! With slippery controls! :shepicide:

And a current that pushes us further from the Sharpedo! :suicide:

Good thing this is a SSLP, so you don't have to suffer through it too :v:

Sharpedo is another one of those unofficial bosses. It opens up with a charge attack that darts all around the screen, but subsequent charge attacks are much shorter and only go in one direction.

It also can bite twice consecutively. Not as interesting as Toxicroak, really.

Base EXP: 60

Can't argue with the EXP yield though :woop:

The Sharpedo looks horribly ill. Is the key it swallowed causing discomfort? You obtained the Bridge Key! The Sharpedo recovered, too!

I'll be frank with you, I thought there was no chance you would find it! Back to the harbor we go!

Wasn't it rough underwater? You weren't intimidated by all that water? You could open your eyes down there? ...I see. It's Mission Clear!

Music: Mission Clear!

Anyway, you persevered under salty conditions and completed your Mission. I'm certifying you to Ranger Rank 3, Kellyn!

Music: Rank Up!

Ground and Steel assists are now "available." Great. :geno:

This is something you might not know... It's possible to raise the number of Friend Pokemon traveling with you. But having more Friend Pokemon comes with greater responsibility. That's why the Capture Styler is limited to three Friend Pokemon at the start. I'd say you've gained enough experience to look after another Friend. I'm upping your Styler's Pokemon limit to four!

Your Friend Pokemon limit was raised to four!

Now THIS is great unironically :dance:

Circe starts out with 4 Friend Pokemon, though, so I wonder why it took us this long to get here.

Let's return to Norward Bridge.
*When talked to* Hurry! Back to the bridge!
*When talked to* When it comes to the lowering of bridges, no one's better than me!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...Oh my god, I didn't even realize it until Barlow said something, but yeah! You were down in the ocean for a long time without any sort of eye protection! How is the protagonist not blind?!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Circe started out with 4 possible friends for the same reason she didn't need to go to Ranger school. She's awesome like that.

Kellyn's a nerd though so he has to do things the boring standard way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

serefin99 posted:

...Oh my god, I didn't even realize it until Barlow said something, but yeah! You were down in the ocean for a long time without any sort of eye protection! How is the protagonist not blind?!

Magic.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
The "Water Pokemon with Water Assist" bit seems even more grating when most of those Pokemon have a secondary type, but the only one to actually use it is the Recharge battery for the section. The only ones who don't are Staryu and Finneon, I believe?

It might be that we haven't "unlocked" the assists yet, granted, but... ugh.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1234567890num posted:

These currents are just water versions of ledges. Because we can't jump underwater.

I mean, yeah, you can't jump while you're diving with all the heavy equipment, but that Micro Aqualung doesn't seem that heavy :mad:

Barlow would be able to jump underwater, if he could swim.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

even desert across the sea!
I get my fun from going on walks with my dear grandaughter.

Two last NPCs before we get out of Pueltown.

your Mission. I trust the Micro Aqualung performed to specifications? Nage, one of our researchers, made it. He's quite proud of it. But, that's neither here nor there! Kellyn, lower the bridge, please!
I told you, for lowering the bridge, you let me take care of things!

Look! It's our pal Murph! :neckbeard:

safe and sound. It's so unlike your impatient self to sleep over somewhere else. You sure had me worried.
Ah, Murph! Who are you calling impatient? We must return to the Union and conduct a meeting to counter the Gigaremo! Barlow, we must hurry!

:rolleyes:

*Hastings and Barlow leave*

...Uh...And who am I...?
*To Kellyn* Well, hello! How nice to meet you! I'm Murph, and I'm in charge of PR for the Ranger Union. That means I get full access to all the Union's Ranger databases. So, of course I know who you are. It's my job to know these things. So, your name was... What was it now? Kellyn, did you say? You're right! Kellyn it is! That's right, that's right. I just needed to confirm that, yep. You just finished a Mission, didn't yiou? You've got to be tired. Am I right? Well, there's just the place up ahead for goofing off... Uh, no, relaxing, that's what I meant! It's a nice park. Let's stop there a while.
*When talked to* Altru Park is north (↑) of Pueltown. let's go goof off...I mean, relax there!

Ah, good ol' Murph :allears:

the Cordelia Canal. It's a drawbridge with hinged spans. It was built by Altru Inc.

"An accomodating gathering place for all. - Altru Inc."

↓: Pueltown
"Slated for major redevelopment by Altru Inc."

Don't you remember me? I'm Isaac from the Ranger School. We didn't talk much, but I remember you because you and Keith really stood out. Hey, listen, my workplace is close by. Come with me, and I'll give you a tour. Your Ranger Union friend is welcome to come, too.
Sure thing! I'm going! I mean, you work for Altru right? I'm an admirer of some of your employees, like the receptionist lady.

Seems like Murph has grown more :wiggle: since last we've seen him :confuoot:

Altru Inc.'s building is just north (↑) of Altru Park. It's a massive structure. You can't miss it.
*When talked to* I'm in charge of a certain technological development project. It's a real privilege to work on it. But it does keep me at work until late. My little sister Melody may be feeling lonesome because I'm out so often.
*When talked to* Altru Park is where everyone comes to goof off... No! To relax!

We just finished a mission. We've earned the right to goof off :colbert:

"Once upon a time, a thriving oil town. Now a shadow of its former self."

The path to the Chroma Highlands is now closed. I haven't been told why, though. I'm sorry.

(Left) Pokemon names. I said Eevee, so it's "E" next.
(Right) There's no end to the Pokemon name game. I said Eevee, so it's "E" next.

And that's why there's a rule where each answer can't be used twice.

"The ground-floor lobby is always open to visitors."

Visitors are welcome in the Altru Building. But only in the ground-floor lobby.

Don't tell anyone.

You're not the only one :v:

"On guard for the irreplaceable: Pokemon, nature, and people."

I need to catch my breath on this bench.

There's a stage in the middle of the park. I'm sure it will never come up again.

symbol of Altru Inc.

That is a (soon to be) big tower alright.

I think your friend with the mushroom haircut knows this already. The name Altru Tower is only tentative. There's a contest to name it now. I sent in the name "Muscle Tower." It sounds kind of powerful.

I'd suggest "Overcompensation" :v:

(Right) You're not concealing any dangerous items, are you?

All right, let's continue on with our tour.

New Music: Altru Inc.

This is where I work. Altru Inc.!

They're all amazing people. At the left is our founder and first president, Doyle M. Hall. In the middle is our second president, Brighton Hall. And, at the right is our current president, Blake...

Well speak of the devil.

Remember how Ranger 1 has idle animations for everyone? Like how Joel adjusts his glasses and how Elita's coat flutters even indoors? Well, that's gone here; the only animation is the blinking one :effort:

I'm mentioning this because Wheeler (the green-haired guy) is the exception to this. He constantly rubs his hands.

Welcome back, sir!
Ah, thank you, my people. I'll ask that you take care not to overwork yourselves. May we all do our best toward a bright future for the Almia region.
That will do. Staff, back to your workplaces. We mustn't inconvenience our customers.

*The crowd disperses*

That person is our current president, Blake Hall. You're really lucky to see him in person. What a coincidence.
Ah, hello, Prof. Isaac. I take it your research is going well? Oh? Who is our Ranger guest?
He's a classmate from the Ranger School. We graduated together. We just happened to run into each other, so I'm giving him a tour.
Ah, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I've always admired Rangers for the work they do. You're to be commended. May we all do our best toward a bright future for the Almia region. Now, Prof. Isaac... Shall we return to work?
Yes, sir, President Hall! ...Kellyn, see you again.

*Isaac, Blake and Wheeler leave*

Wohoho! We really got lucky there! We met the Altru President. We can brag about this at the Union, yes, yes, yes!

Bragging about it involves you admitting that you goofed off, though :v:

The official tour might be over, but there's still the self-guided part.

Altru Inc. over three generations. Our presidents have passed the torch from father to son twice now. Each man has dedicated his life to assuring a bright future for the Almia region.
Seeing you brings back memories of my Ranger days. I remember this one time when I did my cool Ranger pose. I looked sharp! But then my Styler slipped and went flying! It's a bittersweet memory.

As opposed to all those times you Styler slipped and fell into the ground?

Left picture "A bright future for Almia." Founder Doyle M. Hall
Middle picture "Continuing on the path of correctness." Second President Brighton Hall
Right picture "A great dream lies within this heart." Third President Blake Hall

I'm sorry, admittance is limited to authorized personnel.

He's visiting again?
It's an unfortunate fact that there is a limit to oil resources. That is why Altru Inc. undertakes the development of new energy sources. Our dream is to create a clean, limitless source of energy to replace oil.

date.

crude fifty years ago. It's still more advanced than the equipment from seventy years ago, but...
Let Altru Inc. supply Almia's bright future.

Lower right display Tools used for digging oil wells seventy years ago.
Lower left display The equipment that struck oil in the Chroma Highlands fifty years ago.
Upper left display An undersea-oil-field exploration device developed 25 years ago.
Upper right display A scale model of the Altru Tower from its announcement even three years ago.

Well that was fun. But I guess we should get back to our job :(

Barlow here. The counter-Gigaremo meeting's started. We need your help. Bring a Pokemon that can do a Target Clear on a red Gigaremo. Get PR Officer Murph to show you to the Union HQ.
*When talked to* The Ranger Union HQ is way to the west (←) of Altru Park.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 12, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like the continuity nods in this game, with characters from the previous one reappearing. Makes it feel like a series. Murph definitely fits better in his new job than he did as an on-field Ranger too, hopefully he gets mocked less too.

Also you forgot Wheeler's portrait in his one line in the update.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You gotta love the list of presidents. Old hillbilly that struck black gold on his land. He was followed by his son, the respectable businessman. And he was followed by his son, the wannabe Mafioso.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ah, Shadows of Almia. This was the first of the Ranger series I played and my second Pokemon game overall. I still believe that it has the best story of the ranger series, even if 3 has the best mechanics. Sorry I missed the vote for first partner because I would have gone with Starly, but I don't think my vote would have mattered much. Looking forward to the next update and hope that you enjoy playing!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This set of portraits. There are no words. :allears:

1234567890num posted:

There's a contest to name it now. I sent in the name "Muscle Tower." It sounds kind of powerful.

Pretty sure that name is taken, Murph.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2020

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger School Road

"Both sites are perfect locations for souvenir snapshots."

I probably should've renamed the music title to "Roads", but meh :effort:

This road is only two screens long, but it has quite a few new Pokemon.

Base EXP: 40

That's a lot of EXP. For reference, most Pokemon gave 20ish so far.

A lot of normal Pokemon now have more than one attack, too.

Base EXP: 45

(Nectar Vanessa) We grow flowers here that we give away to the people in towns.

The florist is a rip off :argh:

I'm a Ranger like you. If you could ride a Doduo, you'd be racing across the land. You can look forward to that.

Unfortunately, that Doduo is his, so we can't capture it. We can capture the Aipom barely visible on the bottom of that picture, though.

I love how it just nonchalantly chucks a rock :allears:

Not all Pokemon here are generous with their EXP yield :(

Of course, I know what you are. You're one of those people who keep a scientific thing around their wrist. Well, I'll keep this short: I hate science and all that it stands for! Don't expect me to offer you any tea!

gently caress you too :argh:

Dresser It's a tasteful wooden dresser. It's one of Mr. Woodward's works.

Want to see me do the lopy-loop thing? Do you want to join me?

And that's the first area.

←: The Ranger Union Headquarters
"This path is known as the Union Road."

I don't know if we'll take damage if the Pineco falls on top of Kellyn since I can't get that to happen.

The description sure is on point.

Isn't this area wonderful? It's quite serene.

Serene... Right... *Looks at falling Pineco*

Even Oddish got in the "two attacks" fun.

Base EXP: 21

saltiness. Do you reckon it will sell?

Fridge Berry jams are stored. It's unknown if they taste good.

It just is.

Can't go to Peril Cliffs right now because.

Sadly, Spearow isn't good enough to join the gang :(

Base EXP: 30

It gives more EXP than some other Pokemon here though :downs:

There's also battery and good boi here.

Eventually we'll be able to surf from here. One day...

For now, let's get the last Pokemon here.

Yanma moves pretty quickly, so Cranidos is very useful here.

Oh yeah, Cranidos is still our Partner Pokemon. I actually almost forgot after a whole mission without it.

Base EXP: 23

7 new Pokemon in 2 areas. Not bad.

It will be safe here.

This place is tiny compared to Altru Building!

Well, here we are.

New Music: Ranger Union

The Ranger Union's Almia HQ. I'm into my professional work mode now. You have a meeting to attend. The Conference Room is on the second floor. Take the escalator.

Patience, Murph. Don't you know we have NPC to talk to?

On the second floor is our Conference Room with a monitor system as the floor. Also on 2F are the Reference Room and Research Room. The Operation Room occupies the entire third floor. On the rooftop is the magnificent Tree of Harmony.
Ranger, you folks go through so much trouble for us. You have my moral support!
Do something about those creepy thugs! ...I was shouting that.
The Conference Room's on the second floor, I told you.

The left receptionist just offers to charge our Styler.

Big monitor This monitor shows Almia's trouble spots. It is easy for the public to understand.
Small monitor Status data of Quests is displayed. It extends to regions outside Almia.

Good thing Quests weren't implemented in Ranger 1 :downs:

We've been expecting you.

*Nage brings Kellyn to the middle room*

This is our prize rookie, Kellyn, I was telling you about. This up-and-coming Ranger figured out how Gigaremo units can be stopped. Give us a demonstration, Kellyn.
*To Kellyn* Sorry for springing this on you. Show us how to stop that Gigaremo.

Well, technically our Styler (and by extension Crawford) is the one who figured out how to destroy it, but details :v:

Before we do the demonstration, let's talk to everyone.

the Field Move Soak in the building. Find it, capture it, and bring it here.
We cobbled together that Gigaremo from smashed units recovered in Pueltown.
(Erma) Don't be intimidated by this being the Union's Headquarters.
(Wendy) They call me the "Flying Ranger." Remember that, please.
Oh, so you were the first Ranger to stop a Gigaremo?
Vientown's Elaine is one good mechanic. How she managed to dismantle that rock-solid machine, I'll never know.
When I saw that machine, I mistook it for an industrial vacuum cleaner.
We're seing more incidents in our area.

And when I said everyone, I was including other people outside this room.

...I'm sorry, I fumble my words when I get nervous.

Let's go to the left room before going to the right.

Actually, it's used mostly as a lounge by the staff for break time.
The Reference Room is for Pokemon archeology. But it's actually used as a break room by the staff.

That Bibarel is the Pokemon Barlow mentioned. We still have the Wartortle I grabbed 5 updates ago, so we don't need it.

for research in the field. He's studying Pokemon in various parts of Almia. Perhaps you've met him already?

Monitor A database on the "heart" of Pokemon. It is vital for Styler development.
Upper machines Analyzing systems and devices, including the state-of-the-art R5500CS!
Left machines These machines have complicated names. They are hard to describe.

The Union Operators communicate with Rangers in the field from here. They can track the Rangers individually and relay vital information.

(Marcus) Spenser, we need you to remain on that Mission, please!

Don't slack off just because you have Circe! :argh:

(Left) This large monitor system allows us to track the locations of all Almia Rangers.
(Linda) You're an Area Ranger from Vientown? You're kind of adorable.

Right monitor This monitor system shows the locations of all Rangers at all times.

The top floor has big tree and nothing else.

Now that we explored the building, we can destroy the Gigaremo and actually start the meeting.

method you've just witnessed. But also keep in mind that there are other types that run on different power. The various types are distinguished by their coloring. Even so, with the help of POkemon, all Gigaremo units can be destroyed. Get the word out to all Rangers on how Gigaremo can be destroyed. Kellyn, you deserve much thanks. You've done excellent work.

*The area Rangers move the Gigaremo away*

Incidentally, did you all notice something peculiar about that Gigaremo? How it failed to hypnotize the Pokemon in the building? Everyone, look down onto the Underfoot Monitor, if you will.

I was assuming that it was just turned off :shrug:

This is your reminder that this game is slow :sigh:

Also, an underfoot monitor is one of those things that sounds amazing on paper but terrible in practice.

Have a look at the diamond-shaped section of the Gigaremo diagram. There was a small, black stone fitted into this section. I removed the stone when I rebuilt the Gigaremo. As you've seen, without the stone, the Gigaremo failed to hypnotize Pokemon. It seems clear to me that the stone embodies some mysterious power.

:sigh:

We're going to have to search for and destroy these Gigaremo one at a time. There's no other way of dealing with them, I'm afraid. You can be sure we Area Rangers will be eager to stamp them out.
The Union is already working hard on the analysis of the black stone. We've also launched an investigation into Team Dim Sun. Excuse me, rookie, can I ask you a few question right now? I'd like to confirm a few points with you since you're already here. Team Dim Sun said they were conducting an experiment? They took off by boat to the sea when they fled? It was a yellow Gigaremo that they fled with? Okay, this is my last question, but it's also important. Pokemon hypnotized by Gigaremo couldn't be befriended by capturing them. True? That's all the questions I have. Thanks for answering them.

There's a yes/no prompt at each of those questions, but they don't affect anything; not even a But Thou Must.

It seems that Almia's peace is threatened by a group calling themselves Team Dim Sun. But they don't frighten me. You are here to serve and protect Almia. I only ask that you work as one toward our common goal. Safeguard the people, the environment, and the beloved Pokemon of Almia.

*Erma, Hastings and Wendy leave*

I have something to discuss with Prof. Hastings. Take a stroll through the Union HQ and go introduce yourself. When you're done with your tour, give me a shout. I'll be in the Research Room. The room is to the right (→) on this floor. *leaves*

Yeah, about that... We're about done with exploring this place already :sweatdrop:

HQ building. Remember, saunter casually.

I'm Nage, and I'm a researcher here.

That, I promise to do! I expect you to deal with the Gigaremo.
You've got to be exhausted from diving in the sea and attending our meeting. It's late, so we'll get the Union to put us up for the night. Grab a sleep chamber and sleep well. I'm going to do the same. Do you feel like resting now?

Let's call it a day.

Enjoy a good sleep. We'll meet on the ground floor in the morning.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 3, 2020

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I can't pin down exactly why, but the Ranger Union organization feels much more competent in this game compared to the last one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have two "emma" instead of her sprite.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Of course, I know what you are. You're one of those people who keep a scientific thing around their wrist. Well, I'll keep this short: I hate science and all that it stands for! Don't expect me to offer you any tea!

Well alright then.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger Union

Just like in our Ranger Base, the bedroom behind a door we'll never get to enter :(

It's fun and enlightening. Research: I live for it.

(Nage) The ability to capture and befriend even Gigaremo-hypnotized Pokemon... A Styler with that ability would be ideal, wouldn't it...?

rash at times. But when he starts thinking, it's as if he becomes another person.

Oh look! The assistant from the first game has a name now! Good for her :unsmith:

room is down for maintenance.

You can learn what their job entails.

(Left) wh-when I g-g-get n-n-nervous.I m-m-might n-not b-be Operator m-material.
Sven, come in, please. What is your situation? You've left the volcano, and you're on the way to the desert? Understood. Please, take care!
You're looking like a tourist, all wide eyed. Is this your first visit to the Union?

We're going back to Vientown.

weird machine. I yelled at them to pack it up and take it with them, I did.
This band called the Go-Rock Quads is coming to town for a live show. They're the main attraction for Altru's celebration day. I'm asking the receptionist if she wants to go with me.
Murph can be clingy. Can you capture him and settle him down?

important part of an Area Ranger's job. Smiles go a long way toward lifting spirits and dispelling the fears of citizens.
What are you doing? We're going back to Vientown.

We're patrolling, obviously :colbert:

Or at least we were. We're done now.

*Tremors*

Huh? What was that? An earthquake?

Eh, I'm sure it's not important.

That tremor was bigger than the one earlier, wasn't it?

I saw a man with some big Pokemon earlier. He said it was for mountain-climbing training and went to the Peril Cliffs behind our home. But after they left, there have been these tremors. Are they safe, I wonder?
We get the picture. We'll go investigate.
*To Kellyn* Hey, Kellyn... Do you hear that?

This forum's still relevant! :dance:

Oh wait, this game was released in 2008 :negative:

We'd better investigate the Peril Cliffs thoroughly.

We go north (↑) past this log cabin.
*When talked to* We need to find out what caused those tremors.
*When talked to* Every time there's a tremor, my jam jars fall off the shelves. My husband's holding them up now.

Well, that's what we're about to figure out. Peril Cliffs is right to the north of the house.

for. I did see a guy climbing the cliffs with some Pokemon, though. Those Pokemon were loaded down with bulky supplies.

Of course we won't just finish the mission right after it started. Oh well. At least we get to capture some new Pokemon.

Like the Staravia that chases us as soon as it sees us. The twister here, unlike most twisters, doesn't shoot forward. Instead, it acts as a Flying version of a mine.

Base EXP: 34

We can scale the cliffs by climbing vines. If you read the previous LP, you'd be able to guess the bullshit coming our way.

I complained about it in that LP, but it wasn't that bad at the time. Now, though... :shepicide:

There's a fork near the start, but one road is blocked. We're not getting past this anytime soon.

That means we'll have to take the scenic route. Which is fine. :tif:

There's not much to say about Larvitar, really.

to climb? *Notices vine above him* We can't reach that vine up there. But what would happen if that vine were to be cut?

We can then climb the vine. Easy enough. Up there we find...

Well, these. But that's not all!

Springy Grass! Springy, as in springs. You know, the bouncy kind. When I was a kid, these plants kept me amused all day long.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee! :v:

Good thing the springy grass is perfectly accurate. I hate to think what would happen if it causes us to autumn fall far to the ground :downsrim:

*The Rampardos take turn ramming the hole*

What are they doing down there? Were the tremors caused by those Pokemon ramming the wall? We'd better get down there. ...But we can't get there from here. Hey, look over there! That guy must have gone down there by rappelling down those vines!

There must be a way for us to climb higher, then lower ourselves on that side.

And that way will take us all the way around the cliffs. Because of course.

I mentioned that Staravia is aggressive. Well, it's also much faster than us and has a ridiculously high aggro area. And Staravia is like the most common pokemon here.

It's really loving annoying. And that isn't even the worst part of this area :shepicide:

Pinsir will try to charge at us in the overworld, but it's hard to get hit by it. You know, considering that Staravia will reach us before Pinsir could :v:

Base EXP: 61

Also, for some reason Pinsir requires about three times as many loops as most Pokemon here. Cranidos deals with it very well, though. That EXP yield isn't shabby either :)

Music: Mission Start

This is the second (and last) vine we can cut. I honestly don't know why there's a special dialogue pointing these out when there's a grand total of 2 of them in the game :shrug:

I didn't expect to see Numel here, but I guess it is part Ground type, so... :shrug:

Base EXP: 31

Mankey will try to ram us, just like in Ranger 1.

However, it stops to catch its breath after every ram, just like in Ranger 1. It's one of the few Pokemon whose mechanics aren't upgraded from the first game.

Base EXP: 31

Well, Staravia might be loving annoying. But I mentioned earlier that it isn't the worst thing here. So what is?

Oh no. OH NO :suicide:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 3, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, the most fun mechanic in the game is back and better than ever. I hope you're enjoying climbing vines over and over as you get pushed back down!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had no recollection of what you were talking about, but seeing that Gligar brought it all rushing back. :argh:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The game is slowly starting to open up and let you do its own thing, but considering we're like 20 parts in discounting all the optional dialogue, this is definitely what they call a "slow burn".

And then you get to THIS BULLSHIT

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Am...am I the only one who didn't mind the Gligar? I never felt really annoyed by it when climbing.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Since everything is slower in this game (which includes Kellyn's climbing speed and my update schedule :v: ), it is much easier to get caught by Gligar. It also appears in Guardian Signs, but I don't remember it being that much of a problem there.

Crosspeice posted:

The game is slowly starting to open up and let you do its own thing, but considering we're like 20 parts in discounting all the optional dialogue, this is definitely what they call a "slow burn".

And then you get to THIS BULLSHIT

Speaking of slow burn, don't forget the mission after this! :buddy: It's the Ranger School one

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 14, 2020

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Looks like Gligar hasn't noticed us yet, so let's go and capture Mawile.

Is that electric ball supposed to be a Steel type version of a mine? Why don't they just use, I don't know, a steel ball? :iiam:

Base EXP: 34

Now, to proceed, we have to climb the vines to the right. However...

Of course it's not that easy :negative:

Everything in this game is slower, including our climbing speed. Unlike Circe, Kellyn is not fast enough to avoid the Gligar.

This means that we now have what's effectively a stealth mission in our hand. Oh joy :shepicide:

Falling will force us to climb all the way back up, which takes about 20 seconds each.

I'm just going to use savestates liberally in this part.

Sometimes RNG is just not on your side and Gligat will just refuse to leave

At least there's a checkpoint. Going back up now takes 10 seconds instead

Getting hit to the right of the check point actually takes us to where we need to go to progress. It also brings us right into Staravia's range, but getting caught by Staravia is 7 seconds faster than getting caught by Gligar.

But, again, of course not everything is that simple.

The left vertical path is the vines we initially climb up from. You can see the left path leading to Mawile, the checkpoint, and the vines going below in the bottom right (which leads to the next area).

You can also see the solitary platform on the top right, and that's where we're going right now.

These Gligar are very relentless in preventing us from doing so, though :suicide:

Eventually, one of the Gligar decides to be nice for once and let me through :downs:

Remember what I said about there being only 2 vines? Well, turns out there's 3

Our reward is Cherrim, which can't be found anywhere else.

This game only has one form for each Pokemon, so we won't be seeing normal Cherrim (or east Shellos/Gastrodon, for that matter).

Cherrim spreads out leaves, which would be a problem if we have to keep the Styler on the screen. Not a threat, really.

But then, just as you think it's safe, it shoots a seed. This is a surprise the first time, but you should be able to anticipate it for the rest.

Oh, it also jumps around and takes a lot of loops, but meh.

Base EXP: 80

:dance:

We're done here, so let's leave these vines and never come back! :byewhore:

Wait... I'm forgetting something...

Oh yeah, we still need to add Gligar to our collection :sweatdrop:

Gligar has to be approached from behind, since you know what happens when it spots us. It's easier said than done, but I got lucky here.

Gligar is nothing interesting during captures.

Base EXP: 32

Theoretically, we could capture all Gligar to prevent the whole ordeal, but, well, good luck with that.

NOW we can actually leave :byewhore:

The game gives Magnemite and a Save Point at the end of this area. It knows that Gligar will take away a lot of your HP and that you'll never want to go through it again.

How'd that get there? This means that guy must be in cahoots with that bunch of criminals! I'm guessing he's using the Gigaremo to make Pokemon aggresive. That way, he can keep prying eyes away. ...Like us Rangers. It's proof he's up to no good, whatever it is. Kellyn, it's your time to shine. That's a Gigaremo like you said you saw in Pueltown. Can you do a Target Clear on it?
*When talked to* We can't go on unless that Gigaremo is destroyed with a Target Clear.

This area is a breather. A very appreciated one.

Wheeeeeeeee! :neckbeard:

Each path leads to a Gigaremo. The left Gigaremo is right next to the exit, so we'll go to the right first.

On another note, since Staravia is mind controlled, it won't chase us relentlessly! :toot:

I don't know why, but I really like these series of falls/jumps.

While we're here, let's capture that Aron. We can't keep it, but at least we won't have to deal with Staravia.

:(

That's both Gigaremo destroyed.

It appears to be a new type. But if you look closely, you'll see that it's only made of plastic. No wonder it can be destroyed with the Field Move Crush. I wouldn't call it a smart design decision.

After all that, we're finally here. That sure was a long detour.

Video: Rampardos

We may have to capture those Rampardos. They're a tough species of Pokemon. You'll need to use Poke Assists, I think. Rampardos belong to the Rock group of Pokemon. Ground, Fighting, Steel, Water, and Grass Poke Assists will be effective against them. Are you ready?

How hard can Rampardos be?

All right, let's do this! If you get into trouble, don't push your luck. There's no shame in fleeing!

This is the first (and I think only) boss battle that allows fleeing. I have a bad feeling about this :ohdear:

Music: Team Dim Sun!
Why are those Rampardos ramming the cliff wall? What's going on here?
(Truly Shady Guy) Wh-What are you people? You're dressed up like Rangers and all... Are you Rangers? Uh... I'm a geologist! I'm merely conducting soil analysis. That's what this computer is for.
Oh, this fellow claims to be an ordinary scientist. Well? Do you believe this guy?

Truly Shady Guy sounds like a trustworthy name! :buddy:

Oh, you're going to believe this guy? It's too bad, but that guy's lying through his teeth.
*To Truly Shady Guy* ...Hey, Mr. Geologist. I'm curious: what exactly is the soil composition around these parts?
Huh? The s-soil composition? Um, well, let's see... Uh, there's red clay, and, um, some calcium, and a whole lot of dirt, and... Um, some water, yes, water, and uh... A dash of salt, and... Aack, forget this! You're good to see through my disguise! You guessed it! I'm a member of Team Dim Sun! But I won't tell you what I'm doing. My Rampardos will do all the explaining! Go, Rampardos! Batter down those Rangers!

Music: Team Dim Sun Battle (Weak Grunt)

So, Rampardos. The song says that it's a weak grunt, so this can't be that hard, right?

Rampardos has 3 attacks, and the first two are just stuff we've seen from other Pokemon before.

Its third attack causes rocks to fall all over the screen. It would've been an awful attack in Ranger 1, but in this game we can just lift the Styler and wait for it to end.

Any time now.

Umm... You gonna stop anytime soon or...

Aaand our Friendship with it are all gone. Wonderful. :sigh:

If you haven't noticed that, Rampardos is very hard. You'll have to somehow increase Rampardos friendship during the rockfalls, or else it'll drain all the way to 0.

Like Barlow said, we have to use assists. Grass assist doesn't give any Frienship, but it'll slow down Rampardos so we have more time before it'll do the rockfall attack again.

It still won't be enough though; the rockfalls take so long that even with added time the Friendship will still drain to 0.

The most obvious way of adding Friendship is looping, and loop we shall!

Slowing down Rampardos doesn't actually slow down its attack speed, just the duration between attacks. So it doesn't make looping any easier.

Loop once every 2/3 rocks (or after every rock if you're feeling spicy) and you'll maintain the Friendship. You'll have to be very quick, though.

Making quick single loops between attacks is a very important technique to learn in this game. It's this game's equivalent of holding the Styler in a corner and hope the Pokemon doesn't hit it.

Make sure to do it quickly and carefully, because Rampardos' attack HURT. And yes, when the rocks hit the ground and scatters, the shards can also damage us.

Our second assist is Ground, which actually does add Friendship. It's useful to skip the rockfall attack.

...So of course I use it to skip the other two attacks instead. It's not my fault the assist lasts for only 5 seconds

Oh yeah, I forgot to show the glossary section of the assists we got 3 updates ago. I'll do it next update.

This is a good time to show off our third assist. Rock assist is literally us chucking rocks :allears:

Eventually, we catch Rampardos. This boss fight is tough, even with assists.

Base EXP: 85

Only 5 more EXP than Cherrim :flaccid:

:stare:

My tunnel digging experiment's a failure! My Rampardos ran away, too! I'm going to run away with a few choice parting words! Don't think you'll win, you clueless Rangers! Team Dim Sun will put your lights out! *flees*
So, that guy was a Team Dim Sun creep after all... But there wasn't a Gigaremo in sight. How'd he control those Rampardos? While a bigger mystery emerged, we did find out what was causing the tremors. It was also excellent that we freed the Rampardos. So... Mission Clear!

Music: Mission Clear!

Let's report back to the lady who gave us information about that Dim Sun guy.
*When talked to* You remember where the Jam-maker's cabin is, right? It's outside the entrance of the Peril Cliffs.

We have a shortcut back to the beginning, so we don't have to go through Gligar again :woop:

cliffs. He was bawling his eyes out.

and we've put a stop to them. You won't have to worry about that anymore.
Thank goodness for you Rangers!
Nothing terrible's happening, is it?
If you spot any shady-looking characters, don't try to confront them, please. Instead, please contact the Ranger Union as soon as possible. That's all we can tell you now. Well, we're off back to Vientown.
*To Kellyn* Kellyn, your performance has been outstanding recently. You're certainly qualified for Ranger Rank 4, Kellyn!

Music: Rank Up!

This unlocks Poison, Ghost, Psychic and Dark assists. Spoooooooky :ghost:

*When talked to* What are you doing? We're going back to Vientown.
*When talked to* I'm grateful that you stopped those quakes. ...Stop earthquakes? You can do that?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kellyn sure has really powerful knees.

Also, props to that Grunt for at least trying to be covert.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Kellyn sure has really powerful knees.

Also, props to that Grunt for at least trying to be covert.

"Trying" being the keyword there.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yes, Kellyn, keep trying to befriend the thing constantly hurling large rocks at your head, it'll work eventually I promise.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Noooooooooo, not the soil samples!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Black Robe posted:

Yes, Kellyn, keep trying to befriend the thing constantly hurling large rocks at your head, it'll work eventually I promise.

It did work in the end :buddy:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Roads (Yes, I renamed the music title. Won't bother replacing that for past updates though :effort:)

As promised, here's the new assist glossaries. Ground assist isn't changed much, even retaining its "no effect to levitating Pokemon" effect.

That doesn't look like a steel ball to me, but :shrug:

Poison assist are nerfed from the first game since it now can't affect levitating Pokemon. That and the absolutely awful type matchup makes it borderline useless. Hopefully I can find a use for it (like in my previous LP).

Remember that this follows Gen 4 matchup, so Ghost are not effective against Steel. It looks as broken as before, though.

This seems even more broken than Ghost :getin:

Dark, meanwhile, is still as niche as ever. Unlike Ranger 1, this game actually lists its matchup. I don't know if it matters, though.

Before we do anything, we'll capture this Oddish for later.

and down cliffs, Doduo are welcome sights! And, as luck would have it, two appeared together. We're in business. You've made it to Rank 4, so I'll teach you the Field Move Agility. But first, we'll capture those Doduo. One for each of us. I'll explain then!

Doduo no longer darts and jumps around. Thank god for that too, since we're going to capture it plenty of times.

Music: Roads
I was a bit faster than you at making the capture. Hahaha!

We did very well for our first Doduo :colbert:

Doduo's Field Move Agility lets you ride on its back. It's like running with the wind. It's sure faster than us running! Touch your capatured Doduo. You'll be asked if you want to ride.

Pretty much the exact same way we use Recharge Field Move.

riding a Pokemon. One, it's not safe. And two, it's just downright rude! Okay, let's take a run to Vientown! Yeehaw! *rides off*

Before you ask, no, we can't become like Joel and ride Dodrio :(

But at least we're faster than any Pokemon. No Pokemon can chase us now! :flashfact:

I see you're out and about on patrol. My name's Herbert. I'm a researcher with the Ranger Union. I'm still learning the ropes, though. Prof. Hastings has assigned me to study mainly Grass Pokemon. We're currently in need of an Oddish for our research. So far, I've had no luck finding one. Ranger, please, would you bring one in for me?

This is why we captured the Oddish earlier.

You really will?! Thank you kindly! I've heard that Oddish are often seen on Union Road.

Thank you! You've been a great help! This will let us move on with our studies. It will eventually help us improve the performance of your Styler, too.

With that diversion done, let's move on.

I was wondering if you could do something for me as a small favor. It's something you can do while you're on patrol. Can you drop in real quick on my dear old mom for a friendly visit? As you can plainly see, I can't be home much, what with my bridge job. My dear old mom can use the company. She sure likes to chat, that's for sure. Will you do this for me?

Well, since we're nearby...

I sure do appreciate that! You know that my place is right here in Pueltown. Look for the fountain in front, right?

We can't enter the house while riding Doduo, though. And the Doduo is immediately released after we get off it :sadwave:

I'm glad to see you Rangers doing patrols. It's wonderful to see someone so young as you involved in this work. You should rest your feet a little, though. Well, then, Ranger, shall I tell you a story? I'll tell you an old folktale of the Almia region.

New Music: Sad Past
Long before long, long ago, there was an old king who ruled over all Almia. The king of Almia had three boys, each of them crowned as a prince. The king was a kindly one who sought and thought of only peace for his kingdom. All he desired was harmony among his people and Pokemon. But the three princes, being young and full of vigor, failed to restrain themselves. They fell into acrimony and fought with wild and reckless abandon.

The eldest son, cloaked in a raiment of red, he sent to a volcanic land. The second son, clad in fineries of yellow, the king sent to a desert land. The youngest son, dressed in liveries of blue, he allowed to stay. With the eldest princes gone, the last child claimed the castle as his home.

Today I learned that raiment and liveries are actual words :eng101:

The king, once kindly, became wracked by anger, solitude, and bitter guilt. Those feelings transformed his entire being. The darkness in his heart summoned forth the darkness in the world. The darkness in the world kept pulling, and pulling...

That's all, though. That's all that I can recall of that ancient tale from old Almia. I'm not sure what happens after because there are so many variations. Did you enjoy that tale? I'm sorry I couldn't tell you it all. I also thank you for visiting with me. A kindhearted child, you are.

Yes, Kellyn actually exited the house before doing the pose.

Music: Vien Forest

I'm dripping with sweat, so run down. In the forest ahead (↓), some sketchy characters ditched some crates. They get in the way, and they're eyesores besides. I've been busting them up and hauling them away, but I've hit my physical limit. Can I pass the job to you?

This update is a quest update, it seems.

You'll do it? Great! There are only two crates left.

The crates are in the next area, and the Beedrill to destroy them are in the area after that. After we crush them, we have to return to the man.

Thanks, Ranger! You did your bit to keep this forest looking beautiful.

Fun fact: Pokemon can run to the edge of the area such that its hitbox beyond the hitbox for area transition (like in this case).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Doduo can now be found everywhere. So we can capture the one here and ride into our next Quest.

Grrrroooowwwll... Oh, don't mind me, I'm not trying to warn you off. It's just my stomach growling. It's growling like that out of hunger. You might not believe it from the way I look, but I'm a lover of nature. I look forward to enjoying my lunch in the dappled shade of canopy trees. However, today, I was denied that simple pleasure. Nay, it was snatched away from me... Grrrooowwwll... While I took a nap, a Pokemon came and made off with my lunch. I saw the mischievous Pokemon hightail it to the west (←) of the forest. If I'd known about that hungry Pokemon, I would have packed a bigger lunch. Ranger, please help me. The Pokemon had two tails that ended in waht I took to be hands. Can you find it and bring it to me?

What's one more quest for the pile?

Great! I'll leave you to it.

I think this update demonstrate the different types of quests pretty well:
  • Bring a certain Pokemon (we can prepare for this)
  • Go somewhere to see an event (can't be prepared for, obviously)
  • Do a bunch of Target Clear (the target will appear only during the quest, but we can prepare the Pokemon)
  • Go get a new Pokemon (also can't be prepared for). This will either give us a new Partner Pokemon or release a new Pokemon into the wild.

So yeah, after we finish this quest, we can come back here to capture more Ambipom.

OUCH.

Base EXP: 65

It wears a look of shameful guilt.

Back to the man.

Oh, right, so it was an Ambipom. Listen, Ambipom? Next time, I'll make something for you, too. I wanted to know what you like and dislike. That's why I got the Ranger to bring you. Ambipom, are you terribly hungry? Did the fire affect you that way?
*To Kellyn* Oh, yes, Ranger. I can't forget about you. Thank you very much for this.
*To Ambipom* Listen, Ambipom? Would you like to share dessert with me over there?

*The man and Ambipom leave*

Finally, a new type of powerup. This one lets us give 3 more Friendship for every loop, which is pretty useless :flaccid:

Oh well. There's no more quests on our way, so we'll finally go back to our base.

I'm sort of jealous that you got to stay overnight at the Ranger Union.
Hey, what took you so long? Do you have trouble making your Doduo go where you wanted? Or did you set off on a Quest or two?

We did FOUR Quests today :smug:

I'll make it a special day. You can knock off early. Do you want to rest?

We'll do that after the usual rounds.

Working hard, I see. You're becoming a respectable example of a Ranger.
You'd think the people in town would be worried.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 12, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You put the 1/4 Poke Assist: Steel image twice, and never put 2/4.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Barlow left earlier for Boyleland. He had to go in a hurry. Apparently, all the island's Pokemon went and disappeared. How is that even possible? It's troubling, but Barlow's on the case. I'm sure he can solve it. So for today, I'm 1-day Barlow. You got that?

We're not getting to investigate the case?

So, let's not waste any time here! Today's the Ranger School's Outdoor Class. Barlow was asked to serve as the 1-day teacher for that event. But he's gone off to Boyleland. He sent me a voicemail, though. "Let Kellyn do it" was his message. And he says to treat it as a Mission.

Welp. Our next mission is to teach some kids :confuoot:

Hey, that reminds me. I was the 1-day teacher for the last Outdoor Class. Kellyn, you were a student then. Now, you're a teacher for a day!
*When talked to* The Ranger School is to the east (→) of Vientown. You knew that, of course.
*When talked to* I turned them down the last time they asked me to be a 1-day teacher. I mean, I have zero qualities that would make me a decent teacher.
*When talked to* Ollie helps out with this and that.
*When talked to* Until I find a job, I'm going to be helping out with odd jobs here. Barlow told me to do as I want. I'm grateful for that. You can count on me to keep an eye on things while you're gone.

I guess this mission is a bit more exciting than delivering newspapers, but it still sounds so boring... :sigh:

...Be careful of what you wish for, I guess :v:

(Up) Ahahaha!
(Down) Okay, now jump! Boing boing!

*Croagunk jumps*

(Up) Man, this machine's awesome. Make it do something more complicated.
(Down) Well, all right. Let's see... Fly while you're asleep!
(Up) Wahaha! How's that going to work?

It could work if the Pokemon knows Fly and Sleep Talk, neither of which is learnable by Croagunk :eng101:

(Up) It's nothing like the old Gigaremo, eh? This Miniremo machine's something else! It's light and easy to tote around. It also has a hundred Pokemon commands!
(Down) How's this for our Miniremo experiment? Pretend you're a sumo wrestler using only yoga poses!

I don't think sumo involves jumping around.

(Up) Gweh! A Ranger? How long have you been standing there?!
(Down) I know! We'll turn this into an opportunity! Let's demonstrate how great the Miniremo is to this nosy Ranger! It'd get on my nerves if we had to keep this a secret!
(Up) I agree with what you're saying. Here, try entering this command: attack while laughing uncontrollably! ...How does that sound?
(Down) *Pushes some buttons* Awawawah! I punched the wrong keys!
(Up) Cancel key! Hit Cancel! Hurry, come on!
(Down) Chief, it's too late! We'll have to muscle our way through this!

Did you notice the musical notes coming out of Cranidos? That's a sign that it is happy, which means that the partner bar will fill up faster. There's also an excited state, which has rainbow notes.

Oh yeah, Croagunk. It jumps around and has the usual straight/mine attack. Meh.

Base EXP: 50

Music: Roads
(Up) Tch! Meddling Ranger!
(Down) Chief, let's bail out!
(Up) Bailing out sounds okay to me, but where? That way dead-ends at the School. This way, it's that Ranger! ...Does that mean... ...That's what it means!

:byewhore:

:dance:

For some reason Croagunk immediately goes to Partner Farm without any prompt to keep it. Oh well.

Feels like months since we've been here last :unsmith:

You must be here instead of Barlow. Thanks for giving us your time. Let's meet in the Staff Room so we can quickly go over things.

This mission is such a non-real mission that it only plays the jingle. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Music: Ranger School Field

Blue machine This is a video device that explains the capture process.
Yellow machine This is a video device that explains the Target Clear process.

Kaplan and Claire still offers tutorials. If you still need them at this point, I don't know what to say to you.

Music: Ranger School

from here, didn't you? You're more dazzling than I imagined...
Hello! Are you conducting an investigation?

We're here instead of at the investigation :(

Oh, please, don't talk to me! I'm trying to write answers to questions I might be asked in an Outdoor Class.
Po-Pokemon Ranger? Real? Whoa! Real! A real Pokemon Ranger! A real Pokemon Ranger!

:smug:

He's taken a long leave of absence from the school. Did he go back to his hometown?
I only recently become a teacher. Right now, every day brings a new worry.
I love this school. I got another one-year extension!

:ohdear:

For grass, fire. For fire... What was it again?

Most will answer Water, but real pros uses Rock/Ground :viggo:

You're a real Ranger! Can I feel your outfit?

No :colbert:

It's good to hear you're successful, but I hope you know to eat properly.

Music: Caves

With Kincaid gone, the basement is now free for us to explore.

Left bookshelf Professional publications on Pokemon are stored inside.
Right bookshelf Professional publications on electronics and programming are stored inside.
Machine This machine appears to have been donated by Altru Inc.
Laptop This PC has been left on. Everything's been deleted, however.
Opened case There are electronic circuits built into the attache case.
Closed case It's an attache case. "Prototype" is written on it.

Music: Ranger School

You graduated only a short time ago, so you understand how the students feel. We're all looking forward to an enjoyable Outdoor Class. This year, again, a graduate of our School returns to pass on knowledge. The torch of the Ranger School's tradition is handed off again. It is gratifying to see. Today's Outdoor Class will be held in Ascension Square. If you've forgotten, Ascension Square is to the east (→) of the school yard. The students have been looking forward to this for days. Well, so have I, actually.
That goes for me, too, of course. Oh, by the way, you remember Mr. Kincaid, don't you? He's had to take a leave of absence for some reason. We have a new teacher in his place. His basement room has been taken over by students for their tests of courage.

And it's nobody used it during the day?

Am I tiring you with this school talk? Well, we'll see you later in front of the Pledge Stone.

Despite what the dialogue imply, we're immediately railroaded to the Ascension Square.

Music: Ranger School Field

We've always had nothing but sunny skiles for Outdoor Class. It's like magic! This is Kellyn, a graduate of our Ranger School, who is our 1-day teacher.

That's what is known as the Ranger pose. Don't you agree it's cool? Each Ranger has a special pose to reflect his or her personality and style. Those of you hoping to become Rangers should consider developing your own. Next... Outdoor Class's main event: The Question-&-Answer Session of Terror! Let the questioning begin!

And then we get a bunch of question with yes/no prompts. All they do is change a single line, so I'll post them in this format:

Question [Yes] [No]
Did you get good grades at school? [Is that really true?] [You should've just said "Yes."]

:rolleyes:

Is your job busy? [It must be because of all the strange incidents in the news...] [I think people who pretend not to be busy are cool.]
Have you ever seen a real Gigaremo? [Wow! That's wicked!] [Oh, I can tell you're lying! Your eyes went all shifty!]
(Right) Ehehe... Are you in love with someone? [Oh, maybe even a former classmate? Ooh, look at that fierce blushing! You're so cute, Ranger!] [I've got someone I like.]

Too bad that according to Uranium, Kellyn won't hook up with Rhythmi or Keith :v:

Have you captured more than 100 Pokemon? [Wow, that's awesome.] [Oh, but you'll get there, won't you?]
Is something bad taking place in the Almia region now? [I knew it...] [Is that true...?]
Is it true that Rangers can't go home very often? [Oh... Then I might not be cut out for this whole Ranger thing...] [That's a relief to know.]
(Left) May I touch your awesome Styler? [...I'm sorry. I can't bring myself to do it.] [Oh. Are Rangers cheapskates?]

Of course Rangers are cheapskates. We don't get any money from doing our job! :argh:

Ranger, is your hairstyle just bed-head?
Oh, no, we'll have none of that.

Ms. April to the rescue :neckbeard:

Are we all out of questions? Nobody has another question? Are we all done?
Yoohoo! I have a question.

(Up) Oh, you don't have to answer that. We're just here for payback.

Bad guys!
Everyone, please be calm. We will be all right. We have a Ranger on our side.
(Down) Getting our outfits dry wasn't easy!

It was very quick, though :thunk:

Who are you horrible people? I absolutely forbid you to lay a finger on my students!
(Up) "I absolutely forbid you to lay a finger on my students!" ...Wow, what inspiring words for the kiddies.
(Down) This lady teacher's got spirit. She could be pretty feisty.
(Up) Well, then how about we whip out that new toy of ours?

(Down) That's what I wanted to hear, Chief! That Ranger wrecked one, but we had another one! So, pop quiz, kiddies! What do you think this is? ...Bzzt! Time's up! It's our latest weapon: the Miniremo! Go, Carnivine! Humiliate that rotten Ranger!

You'll have to do a lot better than just 2 Carnivine. They only have one attack, for gently caress's sake.

Base EXP: 35

The EXP yield is very low. You know, in case you have any doubt that Carnivine is a pushover.

Music: Mission Clear
(Up) Ngah! We got schooled again!
(Down) Chief, let's bail again!
(Up) We looked like buffoons!

*The grunts flee*

You represent so much to our students. You left this tiny port of learning into the great wide sea that is the world. Our students look up to you as someone who stands for their hopes and dreams. I hope you'll return to our port even bigger from your worldly experiences.
I'm going to become a Pokemon Ranger! I won't fail!
I'm hoping to become a Mechanic. I want to be like Elaine in Vientown.
I've helped the milkman a couple of times.
(Right) We even got to see how a Ranger battles criminals!
The students aren't likely to forget this day, ever.
May I ask one last question, please? Is it fun being a Pokemon Ranger? [I knew it!] [I thought so! It's not all fun and games!]
(Right) Please come again!
Kellyn, thanks to you, our Outdoor Class was both fun and thrilling.

Well, it's technically thanks to the uninvited guests.

Kellyn, I"m sure that you can overcome any challenges you face. You've convinced me of that.
Thank you for being our 1-day teacher!

Guess this mission isn't so bad after all :unsmith:

Okay, class dismissed!

*The students, Janice and Hans leave*

I've only just become a teacher, but I hope to raise Rangers like you. You were truly inspirational today. *leaves*
Thanks for everything today. See you again! *leaves*
Uh... There is one last thing. May I be allowed a question? Chairperson Erma of the Ranger Union. Is she in good health? [Ah, very good. That's wonderful to hear.] [Oh, I see... Chairperson Erma must have so much to worry about these days...]

This is the point where I realized that the chairperson's name is Erma, not Emma (like I said a few updates earlier). Oops

...Oh, yes. If you would like, please do visit the School and look around. Now I'll bid you farewell. *leaves*

With that, we're now able to freely go in and out of the Ranger School :toot:

day, ever.
I hope I can work with you when I graduate!

There are a few other people with changed dialogue, but they just repeat a line from before.

I could've brought a Pokemon with Lv2 Crush here, but I forgot :sweatdrop:

This is the last place in the school we haven't explored. There is definitely no other hidden areas of the school that we haven't seen. Definitely.

guest appearance. I just got word about that from Ms. April. She said you kept everyone from harm. That's super! Mission Clear!

Music: Mission Clear

Have you seen this? Your pal Keith's making a name for himself.

Almia Times can't even use proper grammar

Do you feel like resting now?

Sure.

Now that we finished a mission, let's have a vote for our next Partner Pokemon!

Your choices:
  • Pachirisu
  • Kricketot
  • Cranidos
  • Croagunk

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

Your choices:
  • Pachirisu
  • Kricketot
  • Cranidos
  • Croagunk

*Kricketot noises*