Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1234567890num posted:

Blue machine This is a video device that explains the capture process.
Yellow machine This is a video device that explains the Target Clear process.

Kaplan and Claire still offers tutorials. If you still need them at this point, I don't know what to say to you.

Music: Ranger School

You have the same image twice here. Considering the lines below, the first one seems to be wrong.

Also I'll second Kricketot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Delelelele

The woop comes later.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Croagunk is a good boy

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kricketot

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If the anime taught me anything, it's that Croagunk is the best.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

1234567890num posted:

Now that we finished a mission, let's have a vote for our next Partner Pokemon!

Your choices:
  • Pachirisu
  • Kricketot
  • Cranidos
  • Croagunk

Kricketot

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tough choice, but delelelele wins. Poison frog boi will have to wait for next time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, I see you there Lavana.

Croagunk.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm assuming that delelelelele means Kricketot, which would be the winner if that's true.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

1234567890num posted:

I'm assuming that delelelelele means Kricketot, which would be the winner if that's true.

You would be correct considering Kricketune's cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFn2r-iq_4

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

So...apparently it took me 3 loving weeks to realize that I forgot to put mystery Pokemon on that voting list :suicide:

I still haven't got the time to record, so you may change your vote if you wish. Your other options are: Kricketot (the current winner), Croagunk, Cranidos and Pachirisu.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 18, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Black Robe posted:

Well, a bug's a bug, but a mystery Pokemon could be anything! It could even be a bug!

???

No reason to change from my previous stance.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger Base

I need you to go to Boyleland immediately. It's not only the Pokemon that have gone missing there anymore. Our Leader's apparently gone missing, too.
The Union HQ's Operation Room raised the alarm. They reported that Barlow's location signal disappeared off their giant map display. If his Styler's functioning, it should be putting out a constant location signal... He hasn't reported, either. I'm worried about our Leader...

:ohdear:

The Union Operators reported that his signal vanished in Boyle Volcano. Knowing Barlow, he got careless and dropped his Styler in lava. I bet it's going to be something we can laugh about later. Still, we'd like you to go to Boyleland and search for Barlow. As the stand-in for our Leader, I'll assign you this Mission.

Music: Mission Received

We're going to Boyleland after all :confuoot:

Boyleland is a volcanic island. You'll need to take a boat from Pueltown's harbor to get there.
*When talked to* I guess Pueltown's harbor has finally reopened to boat traffic.
I can't think of any reason why any Ranger would put down their Styler.

Have you heard something called "privacy"? :thunkher:

*When talked to* Barlow seems so reckless, though... That's the only thing that worries me.

Alright, since you voted for Kricketot, we'll bring it for this mission.

...This means we're bringing a Bug partner into a volcano. This'll go well :shepicide:

Music: Chicole Village

Are you listening? So, I went to Breeze Hill. There was a Turtwig at the edge of a cliff. It sure looked like it was in trouble. Breeze Hill is perfect for picnics. It's up past the beach beside Vientown. Go help that Turtwig.

Screw Barlow, we have a Turtwig to save!

Okay, I asked you.

Music: Vientown

Just in time :unsmith:

Base EXP: 70

And so our Mystery Pokemon from the poll is Turtwig! ...Is what I would say if I actually remembered to add that option in the poll. :sweatdrop:

I added the option in the thread 3 weeks after the fact, but it seems like Kricketot still wins in the end. Fine by me; Turtwig is even worse than Kricketot in the volcano since Grass assist doesn't even give any Friendship.

Also, we're doing a little detour to grab a Nosepass. Barlow can wait.

Music: Pueltown

quarrel over the littlest things. They fight so much, our Eevee finally got fed up and walked out on us. There was a proverb, but it loses meaning in translation, so how's this alliteration? Our Eevee deemed their domestic dispute disgusting and departed our domicile!

I wonder what the proverb was...

However, they now bicker over Eevee's running away. There's no end to this miserable sideshow. Will you do this as a favor for me? Can you find and fetch our missing Eevee?

Barlow. Can. Wait.

Ah, so you'll find our Eevee for us! I'm thankful for that. I'm not sure if this is much of a hint, but our Eevee likes the sea breeze.

best visit the Sailor's Inn. You're sure to find the captains idling away. The Sailor's Inn is right here (→).

Here's a funny story: a Ranger gets into an encounter with a Magnemite and flees. He then talks to an old man. Neither he nor the Magnemite can move while talking (because that's rude, you know). However, time passes and the Ranger's invincibility wears off. So he get into another encounter with that Magnemite as soon as he finishes talking.

...What do you mean that's not funny? :mad:

Anyway, here's Eevee.

Base EXP: 20

The description might say quick, but it's honestly just normal speed.

Ah, our Eevee has returned! Thank you! Thank you! You two! Stop your fighting at once! You owe this Ranger your thanks!
Hey, thanks.
What kind of attitude is that?! It's "Thank you very much!"
Sigh... Eevee, let's go off on our own.

*The old man and Eevee leave*

I guess we should leave too.

Not before getting our reward, of course :v:

What is it, you ask? The answer is Nosepass! It's Nosepass above all! Nothing else will do! Deprive me of my food but not Nosepass! I can't tell you why now, but, please, bring me a Nosepass!

Okay...? :confused:

Yeah, Nosepass!

We already captured it from the cave, so...

Oh! It's a Nosepass! Wahahahaha! It's so funny! That Nosepass looks hilarious! I love Nosepass! There's no rhyme or reason to it! Thank you, Ranger! Thank you, Nosepass!

Music: Team Dim Sun!
Now, hold it right there!

Hey, I'm a bad guy. I'll admit that. But even I don't do anything that selfish or frivolous. You owe an apology to that Ranger. Also, you laugh too much. It's really rude to the Nosepass!
...It...it's true. This was a selfish Quest. What I did wasn't fair or right to either the Ranger or the Nosepass. Don't do this at home, kids!

I WISH there are Rangers to do Quests for me :argh:

Good, you know where you went wrong. I'll be off on my criminal way now. *leaves*

:confuoot:

Music: Pueltown

I wish you didn't see us quarreling. We'll try to limit our fights to one a week.
We're sorry for causing you worry. From now on, we'll try not to argue in front of our Eevee.

S.S. Boyle, my pride and joy. Will you sail with me to Boyleland?

I think 3 Quests is long enough. Can't keep Barlow waiting for TOO long.

Very well! To the pier we shall go! I'll throw back my cure for seasickness (Glug!), and we'll set sail!

By the way, the other captain is Cpt. Puel Sea. He's the one who will ferry us to and from Puel Sea.

Music: Set Sail

Migrating Drifloon! That's a rare sight! The Drifloon in Almia cross the sea this time of year on seasonal winds. You're a lucky one, matey. It's not often that one gets to see the Drifloon on their migration.

New Music: Boyleland

It's a good sign for your adventure. Enjoy your good fortune! *sails away*

The captain here is Cpt. Puel, who will bring us back to Pueltown. You know, if we want to make Barlow wait for even longer.

"Look up to see Boyle Volcano. Look down to see your shoes."

But what if I'm not wearing shoes :saddowns:

What kind of Pokemon can one expect to find in a volcano's cave system?
Where did my Numel go...?

(Left) They're supposed to be good for some parts of the body.
(Right) When we travel, we like to get a taste of the wild side.

Fun fact: these twin tourists are the same one we saw from Pueltown.

Another fun fact: Vientown is the only place with a Ranger Base in Almia. Guess the Ranger Union took up most of the quota.

Every Pokemon in the village went away somewhere... The big Ranger went away, too...

What a warm welcome.

get carried aloft.

The village has 4 houses arranged in a square. We'll go in the same order as the Ranger School rooms: SW, SE, NW, NE.

(Elder) Who are you? Ah, you're the missing Ranger, yes? So, where are the missing Pokemon? You've not brought them back?
Grandpa, you're getting your Rangers mixed up. This Ranger is here to look for the Ranger who went missing.
*When talked to* Since our Mime Jr. went missing, Grandpa has been so lonesome...
*When talked to* Oh, then, if you're not the missing Ranger... Who exactly are you?

Fridge It's filled with Pokemon food. The Elder snacks on it sometimes.

inside the cave.
It's incredible how all the village Pokemon disappeared overnight...

Laptop The display shows search results for the word "magma." "There is a Pokemon that can ford magma."
Fridge A pair of water-filled pillows in the shape of Wailmer are being chilled.
TV It's a small TV they bought together. They watch their DVDs on it.

the volcano. How I feel about it doesn't matter.

My favorite is a red, transparent gem, which is named... Oops, the name slipped my mind! It sure was beautiful, though.

Fridge Rare stones are being cooled. They're in the freezer and hydrator, too.

This isn't a crime drama, is it?
What happened to all the Pokemon? Did they all run off somewhere?

TV A TV that was once state-of-the-art. It has a reassuring sense of bulk.
Fridge Clothes and eyeglasses are being chilled. Is this for cool comfort?

Possibly, given they're living near a volcano.

It was two nights ago. All the Pokemon in town lined up like soldiers and marched into the cave. No grown-ups would believe me, though.

Village Elder's permission now. That goes for the cave's entrance on the right side (→), too.
A child supposedly saw some shady characters in the cave. Since then, nobody's been allowed to enter the cave.

We'll enter the volcano next time. Take a guess as to which entrance we'll use.

Spoiler: it's the one not literally gated.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, look on the bright side.

Now you can figure out a way to throw in the line 'Kricketot fiddles while Boyleland burns' somewhere during this mission!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

1234567890num posted:

I wish you didn't see us quarreling. We'll try to limit our fights to one a week.
We're sorry for causing you worry. From now on, we'll try not to argue in front of our Eevee.

:sever:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

For those who didn't notice, when the Nosepass quest first becomes available, Nosepass is as far away from the questgiver as it's possible to go at the time. He completely deserves that lecture.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, after 1/3rd of the way through the game we're no longer holding someone's hand, we can explore new locations and do actual Ranger stuff! This game gets really great when it finally gets going.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

MightyPretenders posted:

For those who didn't notice, when the Nosepass quest first becomes available, Nosepass is as far away from the questgiver as it's possible to go at the time. He completely deserves that lecture.

This is nowhere near the worst instance of Quest Backtracking :shepicide:

Crosspeice posted:

Alright, after 1/3rd of the way through the game we're no longer holding someone's hand, we can explore new locations and do actual Ranger stuff! This game gets really great when it finally gets going.

The end of our Ranger School time marks the beginning of actual gameplay. The end of Ranger School mission marks the beginning of the good part of the game. It's like poetry :)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Boyleland

You've my permission to enter the cave from the left side. I'll only ask that you keep an eye out for our Mime Jr. in return.
Our Mime Jr. is among the missing Pokemon...

Well that was easy. Not that I'm complaining.

:wave:

Please, step through. Watch your step in there, though.
There's no telling what could happen in the cave. I wouldn't risk entering it until I've used the Save Machine at the Ranger Depot.

Who needs Save Machines when you have Savestates? :smug:

New Music: Boyle Volcano

be found only here. I could make a pendant out of it as a gift for my lady friend.

How did you even GET here? Did you get the elder's permission too? :confused:

Anyway, new areas means new Pokemon.

As we'll see later, these two attacks are VERY common in this place.

Base EXP: 52

I could've sworn that Slugma have another attack, but :shrug:

Base EXP: 53

We saw the Drifloon heading here earlier, but there's none to be found.

There they are!

NOW we can find Drifloon inside.

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

Just like most other Pokemon with Area Move, we're going to catch a lot of Drifloon.

Music: Capture Complete

Base EXP: 53

Music: Boyle Volcano

With Drifloon, we can use the steam to cross lava. This takes 8 seconds, not including the time it take to capture the Drifloon itself. The game might be getting good, but it's still not letting up in its slowness :sigh:

*Kellyn picks up the Styler*

It's Barlow's Styler! It's not switched on. The anchor clip is gone, but the Styler itself appears to be fine.

(Right) It was brutal trying to subdue that big Ranger, the way he fought. It took eight of us to finally bind him with ropes a smidgeon on the tight side. Pokemon Ranger, my foot. He should call himself a Pokemon Wrestler.

Nobody has officially taken that title yet, but Barlow isn't the only person who fits the bill.

(Left) Sure enough, sure enough. ...I kind of goofed up, though. I grabbed that guy's Styler off him, eh? I think I dropped that Styler somewhere. I had it switched off, so there shouldn't be a problem, but...

(Right) Who's there? Oh, some kid?
(Left) No, look again, it's a Ranger! This is bad! Let's beat it!

*Both grunt leave*

At least we now know where Barlow is :toot:

More new Pokemon! I didn't expect to see a Stunky in a volcano, but :shrug:

Base EXP: 50

Oh hello there. Haven't seen you in a long time.

Pikachu's attack is the same as when we see it in the beginning of the game, but we can keep it (and its Browser entry) now :toot:

Base EXP: 50

But, yeah, I'll beat it all right. Hey! You know we're Team Dim Sun, and we can make Pokemon do as we command! Here's a demonstration!

That's right, from now on we'll have regular Team Dim Sun battles :confuoot:

Music: Team Dim Sun Battle (Weak Grunt)

I'm pretty sure this game gives Pokemon longer attack cooldown when there's more Pokemon onscreen. I guess it's nice since we can't just capture each Pokemon quickly like in Ranger 1.

Base EXP: 60

Graaaah! *flees*

We're getting a lot of new Pokemon today.

This is, like, the third time each of these two attacks are used in this area alone :effort:

You're in way over your head!

Oh look, it's the other grunt.

The baby supporting the mother is still cute :3:

Base EXP: 90

Aww, I shouldn't have done that! ...I didn't think I'd be doing the regretting part... *flees*

In a cave at a side path, we can find these Shuppet.

They teleport constantly and create dark fire, which is a Ghost version of a mine. That's all well and good, except...

...the fire jumps around. I've talked about how annoying Pokemon that jumps around are. A hazard that jumps around are A LOT worse :argh:

Kricketot's assist might not be very effective, but at least it actually helps prevent Shupper's Friendship from draining. Turtwig's can't even do that :(

Also, it lets me say "Kricketot fiddles while Boyleland burns" as requested :v:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, but the steams are all one-way. If we want to go back, we either have to find another steam (and Drifloon) or find a ledge.

So in this case, going into the side path takes (at least) 30 seconds :sigh:

Oh well, let's move on to brighter things, like more new Pokemon.

Lairon either tackles twice in different direction (with a break inbetween) or tackles thrice in the same direction (quickly). It doesn't translate well into screenshots, though.

Base EXP: 79

Kangaskhan had high EXP, but it isn't repeatable. This one is, though :)

Oh look, it's our dynamic duo :jerkbag:

(Left) I'll set off the dynamite we set earlier... Now!

(Right) Great, great! That's perfect... No, it isn't!

:cawg:

(Right) We were supposed to blow up the charge when we're in the other side of the tunnel! How are we supposed to get back to the hidden harbor now, you nincompoop!
(Left) ...Did you actually call me a nincompoop? Well, Flash, you're not so smart yourself! You just blabbed to the Ranger about our hidden harbor! We had to keep it hidden so we can ship out the abducted Pokemon undetected!
(Both) Oh, good job blabbing that! We're giving away all our hints!

(Left) *When talked to* Uh, Ranger? You can ignore a pair of nitwits like us. Feel free to use whatever Pokemon you need to get through this. Thanks!
(Right) *When talked to* Don't pay us any mind. Do feel free to bust this boulder.

:bravo:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

1234567890num posted:

(Right) We were supposed to blow up the charge when we're in the other side of the tunnel! How are we supposed to get back to the hidden harbor now, you nincompoop!

...I just had the vaguest feeling of dread from the sound of this harbor.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Stunky is in the volcano because it enjoys the stench of sulfur

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You know what they say about the lowest-hanging fruit.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sure there's nothing that'll get us stuck there for half an update :buddy:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You know what they say about the lowest-hanging fruit.

You can't say it's wrong :hmmyes:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Late by an update but random pedestrian with a stupid request getting lectured by an actual badguy team member in full costume about not wasting the rangers' time is pretty gold.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Last update, some GENIOUS grunts trapped everyone outside with this rock. No Pokemon we caught here so far has Crush, so we'll have to find a new one. The typo is intentional :eng101:

I know Nosepass can just crush this rock right now, but let's break it the "intended" way.

To the east of the rock, we find another Lairon.

...Wait, it's not Lairon? It's actually Rhyhorn? Well they look VERY similar to me :colbert:

The attack is definitely different, at least.

Base EXP: 54

The EXP yield is less wonderful, too :(

North of Lairon Rhyhorn, we find this door, which requires...

...poo poo. I have to get the Shuppet again, don't I? :sigh:

*A painful capture and two Drifloon later*

This better be worth it :mad:

I guess going here is worth it after all :)

By the way, the sludge slows us down. It's pretty pointless here, but I have a bad feeling about its next appearance... :ohdear:

Aaand as it turns out I should've been more worried about the Muk itself. In addition to its extremely high HP, each of its attack deals 7 damage. I was very close to death there :sweatdrop:

At least it doesn't leave a trail of sludge when moving (during capture) anymore. That's good, right?

Base EXP: 76

All that for less EXP than Lairon :sigh:

That intended path took a lot more than I thought it would, but at least we get a new Pokemon out of it.

(Left) I knew you could do it, Ranger! Well, we'll be on our way!
(Right) Thanks for this! We'll be grateful for this for...about a second!

*Both grunts run off*

Guess we should follow them.

(Left) Heheheh! i forgot all about you helping us! I got a brand-new Miniremo here to show you who's boss!

We've seen Numel before, so let's just skip the capture.

(Left) You're going to sneak through? Our keen -eyed guards will just kick you out.

*Both grunts flee*

I'm sensing a stealth mission... :shepicide:

You're messing with me: Barlow! You're not getting away with trussing me up a smidgeon on the tight side!
(All) Quit shouting in my ear! You're cargo! Be quiet already!

Looks like we made it in time :toot:

We'll launch the cargo ship in two minutes! Guards, keep close watch!
(All) Aye, aye, sir! Okay, to review, what was the procedure if an intruder is spotted? If it's a big one, truss 'em up. If it's a little one, kick 'em out!

Yep, it's not just a stealth mission. It's a TIMED stealth mission. Joy :suicide:

The rest of the update is just going to deal with this, by the way.

The first guard is situated exactly where it'll spot us if we charge in immediately :sigh:

Kid, are you dressed up for a party? It looks pretty sharp. If you're going to role-play as a Ranger, go do it somewhere safe. *leaves*

down. We'll delay the departure by three minutes. Keep your eyes peeled for more trouble!
(All) Aye, aye, sir! Okay, to review, what was the procedure if an intruder is spotted? If it's a big one, truss 'em up. If it's a little one, kick 'em out!

The grunt's response is always the same, so I'll skip it from now on.

Failing reset the time limit (and the first failure extends it).

Nope! :buddy: The second guard has such a path that we'd get spotted if we tail the first.

We're really busy here. I wish you'd leave us alone. Do that Super Brook Jump thing and go on home. Don't get hurt!

"Super Brook Jump" and "Don't get hurt" are mutually exclusive, though :v:

A disobedient kid is holding things up! We're delaying the departure time by another three minutes!

The first line is said to Kellyn near the entrance and the second line is said to the grunts near the exit. I'm too :effort: to screenshot them each time.

Third time is not the charm, apparently. This is right by the exit :sigh:

When are you going to understand?! This is not your playground! I know there are fewer places for you kids to play these days, but...
If the ship's departure is delayed, I'm the one that gets blamed. I don't want to be on the receiving end of the boss's anger... Delay the departure time another three minutes! I can't stand this!

This is where I found out that the grunts do have peripheral vision.

...Please don't play here anymore. I'm willing to get down on my knees and beg. Please, no more of this. I'll give you some gum, okay?
Back by unpopular demand! Another three-minute departure delay!

Failing for the fifth time gives us the same dialogue, but something else changes...

When are we ever going to leave this place? This is a silly waste of time. I'm not doing this anymore.

Nothing new happens if we got caught after that (as far as I know). So what happens if we run out of time?

Move it!

New Music: Game Over

Yup, instant Game Over. At least the game is nice enough to put a save point right here.

By the way, the Game Over music was actually present (but unused) in Ranger 1 :eng101:

Right, let's do this properly. First we wait for the first guard to pass...

And then wait for the second guard to go south before tailing him...

...making sure to follow him southward to avoid the first guard. Yes, the first and second guards' paths cover each other.

After that, we just have the easy part left.

Lockers It contains water and canned food. Does someone live here?

It'll probably be harder if this guy is awake, but I won't complain.

Just get past the fourth guard and we're done! And there is no more stealth section in this game! :byewhore:

(Left) And don't get on that ship!
(Right)The cargo ship is leaving for a secret destination! We'll knock you out so you can't come after us!

It's kinda hard to see, but Gloom's second attack is spreading spores everywhere. That and the accompanying Beedrill makes things very annoying.

At least Kricketot is good against Gloom and can do something against Beedrill (as opposed to Turtwig who is bad against Gloom and can't do anything to the flying Beedrill).

Base EXP: 65

Music: Boyleland
(Left) We reported that a real Ranger was on the loose...
(Right) Those Siren Unit ninnies brushed us off, saying you're just a kid... This is what we get now...

You tried :v:

Er-hem! Ahem! This is your captain speaking! This cargo ship will now depart for our hideout! All crews, report to your stations!

Music: Mission Start!

Now the real Mission begins.

And by "Now" I mean next update :v:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 12, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1234567890num posted:

You're messing with me: Barlow! You're not getting away with trussing me up a smidgeon on the tight side!

quote:

(Right) destination! We'll knock you out so you can't come after us!

These two don't seem to be correct.

You also referred to that Rhyhorn as a Rhydon early on but I'm not sure if :thejoke: or not.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The first is correct. The second is not and has been fixed.

The third... gently caress I always mess up those two. Curse you inconsistent naming schemes! :argh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Is it bad that I just realized the Boyle in Boyleland isn't referring to the chemist/physicist but is actually a pun? :eng99:

To make me feel smart again, I'll point out that this cargo ship has been mentioned several times in the game before :eng101:

(Left) It looks like gigantic drain plug to me. Not a valve.
(Right) Yeah, that's what it is. A giant plug. You yank that out, seawater will flood the ship, and down she sinks. If that plug comes out, it'd be almost impossible to put back into place. You'd need Machoke-level strength to muscle it back down.

(Left) What the...!? What's a Ranger doing here!?
(Right) Our Siren Unit missed this intruder? Were they asleep on the job? We'll double-team the sneak with a double Miniremo assault!

Well one of them DID fell asleep on the job.

Speaking of Machoke...

It's nowhere near as bad as in Ranger 1. It no longer move forward when punching and it doesn't randomly jump around anymore. It needs a lot more loops here, but we don't have to do them all in a single go, so it's all good.

Base EXP: 76

You'll notice that the Pokemon here gives quite a bit more EXP than the ones in the volcano.

New Music: Cargo Ship
(Left) Not only are you a stowaway, but you had to beat us, too!
(Right) We're reporting you to our higher-ups!

*Both grunts flee*

Starting from now, the field music is used for pretty much every mission (if I remember correctly). It's a VERY welcome change. Especially considering how fitting this place's music is.

Plug This giant plug is called the Kingston Valve. It is removed if the ship is to be sunk for whatever reason.

You can see a Houndour above where the grunts were in a previous picture, so let's get it.

Oh yeah. Since apparently all my LPs need a tally, let's make one right now!

Mineful Pokemon: 1
Mineless Pokemon: 1

This is counting both wild and the grunts' Pokemon, which for now includes Machoke and Houndour.

Base EXP: 74

To the left is this little dead end.

Two mines for the price of one! What a deal! :buddy: And considering Bibarel also have a mine (water puddle) attack...

Mineful Pokemon: 3
Mineless Pokemon: 1

Base EXP: 72

The right side also has its dead end, but it also has stairs (not pictured) and a door (also not pictured).

Mineful Pokemon: 3
Mineless Pokemon: 2

Base EXP: 110

Purugly only has one attack, but it needs a TON of loops. In fact, I got the "50+ Loops" bonus from this capture :shepface:

The door leads to...oh no...

I'll just note that Pikachu has a mine (electric ball) attack and not think about the conveyor belts for now...

Mineful Pokemon: 4

Boyleland. What a score you are! Hope this makes the captain happy.

Mime Jr.: Mime! Mime!

How did you sneak on board?! I'll show you the power of our Miniremo! Hey, Mime Jr.! Throw these stowaways off the ship! Ticka-ticka-tappa, and Enter!

The second attack is a psychic ball that revolves around Mime Jr.. I'm not counting it as a mine because for whatever reason Dark assists (that are supposed to remove hazardous objects) doesn't remove it. If it actually works, Dark assist would've been actually useful, but alas.

That first attack is still definitely a mine, though.

Mineful Pokemon: 5

Base EXP: 78

Music: Cargo Ship
Urrrrrgggh... Intruder alert! Intruder alert! *flees*

Mime Jr.: Mime! Mime! *runs off*

Guess we should follow the Mime Jr.. It's not like there's any other exit here.

The Mime Jr. appears to be calling out to Kellyn.

Then it runs off all the way to the exit, leaving us to deal with the belts alone :sigh:

But that doesn't mean that we have to engage the belts right now. We'll get that Makuhita later, when we're ready.

For now, we'll get the Ralts who, as you might expect, teleports constantly. Doesn't mean it can't create mines, though :v:

Mineful Pokemon: 6

Base EXP: 71

A new Pokemon! Which means we get to delay the inevitable a bit longer! :confuoot:

Mineful Pokemon: 7

You can see why I decided to have that tally.

Base EXP: 99

This marks the end of our time ignoring the conveyor belts :(

There are two belts we can take at the start: the one heading left (near Pikachu's platform) and the one heading up (near Ralts' platform). We're going through the former first.

Mineful Pokemon: 8

That's 3 for 3 Psychic Pokemon with energy balls in this place :effort:

Base EXP: 70

We're immediately forced into this huge rear end conveyor belt that takes us to the start. Guess we'll have to go through the other conveyor belt.

I told you we'd get Makuhita when we're ready. And as a bonus, it has no mines! :confuoot:

Mineful Pokemon: 8
Mineless Pokemon: 3

Base EXP: 71

Other than the two starting belts and the huge one, there's absolutely no more conveyor belts; going up gives us a straight path to the exit. It feels like they included it out of obligation :effort:

The Mime Jr. appears to want you to rescue the other Pokemon.

Good thing we went out of our way to ignore the conveyor belts earlier :v:

:wave:

You're also a Ranger?! What'll I do? What'll I do?! *panicks a bit* Oh, right, duh! Switch on the Gigaremo!

It has to be set to "ATTACK!: Spin that dial, clickety clackety-boo! *flees*

Remember when I said that Pokemon affected by Gigaremos won't notice us? Well, apparently this is an exception. They'll aggro after us, no matter what their AI was before.

At least it's just a short walk to the Gigaremo.

The gimmick of this room (other than that initial gigaremo) is that there's switches that'll move cargo boxes along the corresponding tracks.

Like so. However, there's only two switches with the second only accessible after we move the first. And we can operate each switch only once. Calling it a puzzle is VERY generous. Although, considering we'd need a Pokemon with Lv2 Tackle every time we want to move them, it's probably for the best.

There's a Voltorb placed right where we'd get hit if ran without a care in the world. It's a dick move, but after the last two "puzzles" being mindless I guess I can forgive it.

You'd think that this Monferno was captured from Boyleland, but no; we've just freed all those Pokemon.

Of course it has a mine attack :sigh:. Surprisingly Voltorb does NOT have a mine attack, so...

Mineful Pokemon: 9
Mineless Pokemon: 4

Base EXP: 95

This is actually the first locked door in the ship. Guess we're nearing the important parts of the ship.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 12, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have a Houndour pic on the Machoke fight, as well as Makuhita's dex entry after capturing Drowzee.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I guess a generator room is pretty important. Since we don't have any Pokemon that can cut the fence, nor have we seen any in the ship so far, we'll have to leave it alone.

Keep in mind that there's a broken path to the right. It seems like the shorter path, so let's go right first.

I won't allow you to abscond with the Pokemon we rounded up!

Mineful Pokemon: 10
Mineless Pokemon: 4

Yes, Mareep does have a mine attack, though for some reason none of them used it. I have a feeling that in addition to reducing the frequency of attacks, multi-Pokemon captures also have them only use one type of attack.

Oh, now you've gone and done it. I'm in for a dressing down from Captain. *flees*

Sucks to be you :v:. We get to have fun with Vulpix instead.

For a given definition of "fun" at least, since Vulpix also has that rotating hazard. I'm still not considering it as a mine.

Mineless Pokemon: 5

Base EXP: 74

Locker A black outfit, black boots, and black hat are in this locker.

Mineless Pokemon: 6

Now we could go back to the fence, but let's go the other path first.

Some knucklehead of a Dim Sun?! Or would that be a Team Dim Sun goon? It's too dark to tell you creeps apart!

*Kellyn moves closer*

Wha-- You... Kellyn!? Wh-What are you doing here? Oh, right! You're my rescuer! Excellent! First things first: it's too dark to see! You've got to do something about that. After all, you can't clear the target if you can't see it. There should be an Electabuzz on board somewhere. Electabuzz's Flash can light up this hold. It should be easy for you!
[Talk] Bring back an Electabuzz, so you can use its Field Move Flash. You have to hurry!

If only we have Elaine and her tools :(

Well, we turned off the generator. Seems like the Pokemon could've exited out of the wheels at any time, but :shrug:

It doesn't seem to do anything though; the lights and conveyor belts are all still working fine. This game doesn't have darkness which will bring out ghosts that can spirit away our Friend Pokemon.

Electabuzz's first attack is imported from Ranger 1 and it still has that incredible range. Not as annoying this time for various reasons, though.

Mineful Pokemon: 12
Mineless Pokemon: 5

Base EXP: 88

Good going! Get Electabuzz's help to light up this dingy cargo hold!

It beats the darkness, though. Being in the dark brings me down. I wish you never saw me this way, though. Being roped up a smidgeon tightly... Ollie put up with it without a peep. Tough guy. I'd like to get free and get moving. If anyone can snap this rope, I'd say it's Big Bertha and no one else. It looks like we'll need a Pokemon to help us with this, too.
[Talk] There's got to be a Pokemon on board that can cut through this rope.

The notes I'm following told me to use the Taillow from Ranger School Road, which was like, what, 5 updates ago? We could've just get the Raticate, but I guess that's too slow :rolleyes:

Thanks. Even in my wildest dreams, I never thought you'd be rescuing me.

*Kellyn hands over what he found*

Hey! This is my Styler! It burns me to think I had the Ranger's symbol taken from me. It tells me I need to be better. First things first. Switch on the Styler. *Does just that* There's a lot of new mail in the Inbox. People were trying to get in touch with me... ...Huh? An incoming message already.

Crawford calling from the Ranger Union! Your Styler started transmitting again! Kellyn must have joined you. Both your location signals are coming in clearly. If there's any problem, inform us by voicemail, please. ...Leader, I'm glad you're safe!
I've caused everyone a lot of worry with all of this... My Makuhita suffered because of me, too. I'm sorry, dude.

Makuhita: Maku!

Hey, dude. Where were you, dude? I didn't see ya before, dude!

They've done it now. Team Dim Sun's not getting away with this. I'd say it's about time for Mr. Barlow's counter attack to begin! We'll have to wrest control of the ship first! We'll go to the ship's bridge and take command!
Talk The ship's bridge is where all the controls are, including the wheel. The bridge is on the top deck.

Let's take over the ship! :black101:

Door The door won't open. It appears to be locked.

...Oh :flaccid:

That calls for a Target Clear. Hey, Kellyn. Slide out of the way, will you?

:drat:

What is this room? Hey, Kellyn! Come over here!

This would be a great place for a cliffhanger, but I'm not that cruel (and this update is too short if I did that), so let's keep going.

This looks like the captain's quarters. It's got to be the captain we're after. ...Sniff, sniff... What is this sweet smell? I think there was an extra-hold kind of hairspray that smelled like this.

Clothes rack There are many identical outfits. They seem somehow familiar.
Vanity There are cosmetic products for men. There is a faintly familiar fragrance.
Flag It's Team Dim Sun's flag. One is supplied upon enrolling.
Computer It's someone's diary. "X month, XX day. We had a close call today. A Ranger named Barlow came close to disrupting our plan. It should be a good lesson to us. We must be more cautious."
Bookcase There are several books lined up. "How to earn Your Boss's Praise" "The Surefire Way to Promotions" "Preventing Running in the Hallways" "A locked door is a secure door! Even on a ship at sea!

We have to find the Captain who the Dim Sun underlings mentioned.

A locked door would be secure if Barlow isn't being awesome :black101:

There's only one path left for us to go. And that path is the leftmost one

Help, someone! I need backup!

(Up) There's no way out now!
Tsk, they spotted us... We have to take the challenge. I'll take this side, you take that one.

If what I said earlier about multi captures is true, then Magcargo could actually have a mine attack too. But we haven't seen it, so let's assume for now that it doesn't.

Mineless Pokemon: 6

We only have to get the Magcargo; Barlow is dealing with the Magmar. I don't think we've captured 5 at once before; the most so far is 4 Gastly way back at the beginning of the game.

(Down) I'll go get help! You hold them back!
(Up) Don't leave me alone with them! I'll go get help! You stay here!
(Down) This is what we'll do: we'll both go get help!
(Up) That's a brilliant idea! Let's put it into action!

*Both grunts "go get help"*

Continuing on, we get to the deck, from which we can get into the bridge. We can also get to the other side of this area.

Now you know why the right path is blocked. Keep this in mind.

Video: Drapion

There's no telling what this Captain of theirs will spring on us. Are you ready?

You'd already be spoiled if you clicked that video link, but we're ready regardless.

All right! Let's move!

New Music: Tense Encounter

If it isn't Kellyn. You haven't been running in the ship's hallways, have you? We haven't met since your graduation, have we? Perhaps you don't even recall who I am. I was, after all, only teaching the class next to yours. But I only played at being Mr. Kincaid, the teacher. My true identity is...

Le gasp!

Team Dim Sun's guiding light! Mr. Kincaid! You've certainly come a long way to be confronting me. I wouldn't have imagined it from an unruly child like you. Not from the one who ran in hallways and snuck around where you didn't belong. But, your journey ends here. Fufufu...

Remember how the right path was blocked? And now there's goons coming out of it? My immersion is ruined! :argh:

Kincaid! You knew we were coming!
You thought we wouldn't notice? Minions! Take care of them!

Minions: Aye, aye, sir!

Mineless Pokemon: 7

Rhyhorn (NOT Rhydon or Lairon) can hit a wide area. Even with the reduced frequency, the capture is still a bit tricky. Not tricky enough to warrant a screenshot though :v:

Minions: We're sorry, Captain! We're too ashamed to face your anger, so we'll swim home!

And then everyone jump ship

Very well. Let those incompetents go. Their absence will lighten the ship's load and reduce its fuel consumption. ...I must admit, you two are better than I'd expected. Perhaps you did glean something useful from the Ranger School.

Ranger School? Being useful?

But, to everything, there is always a limit. Fufufu...
How many of these clowns are there? It's like there's an unlimited supply! I'll go after Kincaid! You deal with the small fry, Kellyn!
Get them!
You're gonna get it, hairspray head!

this Drapion?
I'm not going to defeat it! I'm going to befriend it!

That's nice and all, but...

...we've got a problem to deal with. It's over in a minute, so it's not a big problem, but still.

Mineless Pokemon: 8

Minions: We're sorry, Captain! We're too ashamed to face your anger, so we'll swim home!

And then everyone jump ship again

Waaaah!

You deserve kudos for your bravado, but clearly, you lack the ability.

My Styler's broken.

This is the Game Over Pose aka the pose Kellyn would've taken if we broke our Styler. You can guess what happened based on that before the game spells it out. It's a neat touch :allears:

Fwahahahaha! So, where is yoru pumped-up bravado now? This is the power of our new Miniremo! The Miniremo is nothing like the crude and infernally heavy Gigaremo! Not only is it compact and portable, but it has over a hundred commands! Kellyn, you may be interested to know who developed the Miniremo. It was a youth, a boy really, about your age. That boy was, and is, a genius of the sort that comes along once a century, if that. To recruit that genius, I'd taken a position at the Ranger School. Does that surprise you?

Um, not really? We've seen your basement.

You used the Ranger School for that!? How low can you go?!
Fwahahaha! Say what you will. Now, let us begin your final lesson. Fufufu... Go, Drapion! Show them no mercy!

Music: Team Dim Sun Admin Battle

We're getting into the REAL bosses now, complete with their own portrait. Fitting, since apparently a lot of people have trouble with it. I had more trouble with Rampardos myself, but that's probably because I'm trained by Ranger 1.

Drapion can shoot spikes twice consecutively in different directions and can release poison around it. Those moves are not special by themselves. The special thing is that Drapion makes ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING WHATSOEVER. You're going to have to be ready to lift the Styler up at its first sign of movement.

Unlike with Toxicroak, we actually have access to Pokemon with effective assist. Psychic can create rings by loops which can be flicked into Pokemon to give Friendship and Stop.

If you're wondering, no; making the loops around the Pokemon does not create rings. This game's assist is generally less useful than the first game's.

And unlike Ranger 1, a stunned Pokemon DOES NOT reset its attack timer. Once the status effect wears off, the Pokemon will continue attacking. There is no warning as to when the status effect'll wear off, so be careful.

It's probably best to just chuck rings instead of looping the Pokemon directly. Which is why that is precisely NOT what I did in the video. Gotta show off that Recharge assist, right? :downs:

After a quarter health, it'll change tactics. Now we'll also have to deal with two small puddles. Drapion makes a warning when it's about to create them, strangely enough. This is by far the easiest phase of the fight. And speaking of puddles...

Mineful Pokemon: 13
Mineless Pokemon: 8

One final Pokemon for the road :v:. Seriously, half the Pokemon here uses what's basically the same attack. I don't know why, but this particular case really stands out :effort:

Oh yeah, Bug assist. It works like Rock except you chuck the stuff away from the Pokemon in order to hit it. That simple change makes targeting a lot harder.

After an extra half health, we move on to the third phase. In this phase, Drapion spams the cloud attack. There's a bit of downtime, but it's not enough to recoup the loss from the Friendship Drain. There's no lull in between clouds to make a short quick loop, either. What we have to do instead is what's pictured above; we make a loop big enough to cover both the Drapion and the clouds.

Or we could chuck blobs, that works too. Maybe psychic rings would've been better used early, but c'est la vie. Turtwig would've been completely useless in this part since it's not very effective and it doesn't even raise any Friendship.

Looking at this, one might think that I intentionally left Turtwig out of the last round of voting. I assure you that it isn't true, but it is a happy coincidence indeed :downs:

Eventually, we manage to surpass Barlow and Kincaid in one fell swoop.

Base EXP: 1000

:stare:

Oh, by the way, this is our only chance to catch Drapion, as noted by the lack of Field Move. So if you're a perfectionist about ranks and saved over this, well, tough poo poo! :buddy:

Music: Tense Encounter

I seem to have underestimated you, Kellyn... To all crew members! This is your captain speaking! This is an emergency! The crew chief on C deck is ordered to pull out the Kingston Valve! All other crew members are to abandon ship on their own initiative! Abandon ship, and swim!

We're not done with the mission yet, are we? :ohdear:

Its removal will flood the ship, taking all evidence of our plan to a watery grave! This will be your final resting place! And for the Pokemon on board, too!

Music: Tension

Bon voyage, Pokemon Rangers! *flies with Gliscor even though it can't learn Fly*

(Left) Oh, hey! That's not fair; Captain gets to fly!
(Right) Captain's always been that way with us. We have no choice but to jump in and swim.

And then everyone jump ship again again

That sneak's really done it now! Kellyn, we're going to save the ship, Pokemon and all! I've never handled a ship this size before, but we're out of options!

The closest port is Pueltown, but I don't think we can stay afloat long enough...

I love how Barlow moves around the machine like he's panicking. This game's spritework is great :allears:

We'll use the ship's radio to sound the alarm. Crawford, come in! This is Barlow. Do you read me? We've taken command of Team Dim Sun's cargo ship! But the ship is sinking. I'm not sure if the ship will make it to Pueltown. In other words, this radio message could be my final words. Wahaha!
This is Crawford! That's not like you, Barlow! And, as a joke, it's the worst! You've got to reach shallow waters and beach the ship! If you can't do that in time, abandon the ship, and save yourselves!
That's if there are any shallows. I'm going to end this transmission. My last words were only a joke! You just watch! We'll save the Pokemon on board! You don't seriously think we're going to leave the Pokemon and save ourselves?! This is Barlow, over and out!

Crawford is right; that joke is the worst :colbert:

*To Kellyn* If we could somehow slow the sinking long enough to find a place to beach...

And with one final shot to the source of our current troubles, we're given free control. There's a save point but not much else here. What have to be done is cannot be done from here.

...To put the Kingston Valve back in? ...I get it. If we can get a Pokemon to help, that might work. It might be futile, but it sure beats whatching my sorry efforts to sail this ship. But the way this ship's taking on water, your time limit's...four minutes! Kellyn, hurry! Run through the hallways!

RUN RUN RUN

Do you know how I got out of the Middle East? Iran.

♪ And I ran, I ran so far away ♪

Looks like both Machoke and the conveyor belts didn't run

Well, we bought some time. Now let's hope for the best :ohdear:

Yes! It's working! The ship's not taking on water like before! Kellyn really did it! Now there's more time to find somewhere to beach this thing! Shoals... Come on, where are they? I've got a ship to run aground!

There! A small island at three o'clock! There's even a pier! Way to spot that, Makuhita! That pier's just a tiny spit of wood, but that's where this ship's landing! We have t ocrank it to the right! Hold on, Pokemon! This ship's going to keel over hard! Rudder's hard astarboard!

Music: Ranger School Field

Ascension Square?
Of course I do. It's because students share their dreams here, then set off into the great big world.
That's exactly right. And when we've grown up in the world, it's Principal Lamont's hope that we return...

Music: Mission Clear

Ranger School is actually being useful

That was an incredible display of split-second decision making!

The pier seems to have been inadequate for the role...

You don't say?

What exactly is taking place?
This cargo ship was used by Team Dim Sun. They were using it to abduct Pokemon and transport their Gigaremo machines. Barlow and Kellyn discovered what the ship was used for. However, when defeated, Team Dim Sun abandoned the ship. But they also tried to scuttle the ship with the Pokemon still on board. To save the Pokemon, Barlow and Kellyn had to run the ship aground. I'm sorry to say that the ship ran over your pier... On the bright side, all the Pokemon have been saved!
That's wonderful!
I'm happy to see they were successful at ramming the pier! The pier is of no concern. We got to witness the outstanding courage and decisiveness of two graduates. It's another example of model behavior that we can present to our students. Incindentally, where is Barlow?
He can't be...
That was a rough crash...
Stop that! Our Leader isn't that fragile!

Music: Mission Clear!

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 24, 2020

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Barlow is very good :allears:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

"Target Clear!" shouts Barlow as he punches Mr. Kincaid in the face.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Styler? Barlow don't need no stinkin' Styler.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

He doesn't use a styler, he just styles on his foes

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

1234567890num posted:

We're getting into the REAL bosses now, complete with their own portrait. Fitting, since apparently a lot of people have trouble with it.

BisbyWorl posted:

Including me! :argh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I thought you were referring to the timed stealth segment.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

1234567890num posted:

I thought you were referring to the timed stealth segment.

I didn't even remember that bit until you hit it.

That Drapion is just burned into my head.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

First up, let's see the alternate universe where we didn't crash on Ranger School.

Letting time run out posted:

Music: Game Over

That was fun. But you know what else is fun? A party! :toot:

today, Kellyn is a Top Ranger. It makes me sad to see Kellyn leave us for the Ranger Union. But as the Leader here, it also fills me with pride. If I had to put it simply... This is truly a cause for celebration! That's all!
The Union's Chairperson Erma came to our Leader and asked for you in person. She said that you were absolutely needed by the Union, Kellyn.
Oh, yes, Kellyn, here's the latest issue of the Almia Times. It's got in-depth coverage of your cargo-ship adventure.

So, you're off to the Ranger Union today. I hate to see you go, though, Kellyn. When you joined, our team turned into a really decent one...
My mom wanted me to pass along her congratulations...
Who's crying on a day like this?

Come on, we'll have one last toast with another glass of milk!
That Barlow... That was the ninth toast he made. But eat up, eat up! There's plenty of milk pudding!
[Talk] Keep working hard at the Ranger Union. I'll do the best I can back here...
[Talk] They must figure they don't have enough Top Rangers to take on Team Dim Sun.
[Talk] Be sure to visit your family in Chicole Village every so often. If you do, make sure you drop by so we can see your face again, too.
[Talk] You come visit anytime! The whole family'll be happy you did!
[Talk] Our young'uns are sure sorry to see you go.
[Talk] I think there are visitors outside.

Guess this is goodbye for now :sadwave:

Music: Vientown

Watch your health, dear! Don't go around catching colds!

What about going around an Ice type Pokemon to catch it? :downsrim:

My Big Brother is a Top Ranger!
Kellyn, congratulations! It's another departure for you into a new world! By experiencing more of what the world offers, you will continue to grow. Oh, I almost forgot. Speaking of departure reminded me. The Pokemon from the cargo ship? They were all returned to Boyleland. All our students helped in that effort. ...As for Mr. Kincaid... We all feel terrible about what happened. We have to accept our responsibility and make sure it never happens again... We all need to keep growing as people, just like you.

As we'll see much later, this is not accurate. Not ALL Pokemon are sent to Boyleland; some are staying in the ship.

Also, more immediately relevant, the NPC in this town all has new dialogue. And this time "all" is correct.

I don't know very much about it.
If you need to slow down and relax, you should come back here.

won't you? We'll always be here chatting.
Aren't there only, like, ten Top Rangers in the world?

Congratulations, Ranger. Mimi's sad to see you go, though.
What qualities do they look for in a Top Ranger? It can't only because you're good at capturing.

Why not?

Ranger, your role remains unchanged. You should conduct yourself as you always have.

Are you going away?
Tawp Wenjer. Bwee.
I always thought Vientown's Rangers had great teamwork. It's a little disappointing that you're leaving.
Would it be okay if I bragged to my friends? About me knowing a Top Ranger?

Well this is different.

If you don't know, I'm the sign maker around these parts. The appealing signs you see around? Those would be mine. So, here's what's vexing me. The sign to Breeze Hill got flattened. It's crushed under a big fallen rock. It makes me sad, it really does. That sign was perfect for couples. That sign begs to be put up again. But that rock is sitting smack in the way. Can you do something about it?

Since I'm feeling generous...

You can do something about it?! The big rock is on the way up to Breeze Hill from Nabiki Beach.

It's just a matter of grabbing a suitable Pokemon, with Nosepass being the closest one (technically it's Graveler, but you'd need Gastrodon for that).

I had an inkling that you'd get it done. So, I brought out a new sign already. *places a sign* That'll do it! Thank you kindly, Ranger! *leaves*

Talk I read in the Almia Times about you! It's quite the achievement!

That's more like it :colbert:. Now we can go to Ranger Union in peace.

Music: Vien Forest

you have grown up. Speaking of growing, look at that tower.

I'd like to see the view from the top when that's finished.
[Talk] They haven't given that tower a name yet.
[Talk] I already sent in a name for the Tower for the naming contest. Larva Tower! Did you giggle at that?

Is that supposed to be a pun for Larvitar? :confused:

I'm Wendy. Do you remember me? I had some questions for you at the Union. I came to pick you up with my Partner Staraptor on Chairperson Erma's orders. My Staraptor can whisk us to the Union instantly. It's going to be a wild ride. Don't get shaken off!

You dropped in on me from the sky. That's a dramatic entry! Whoo-hoo! You're looking good! Yep! I'm looking good, too! Oh, yes, I wish to convey to you how joyous it was for me to learn of your promotion to the highly exclusive domain of the Top Rangers, where only the crème de la... Oof, I can't do that formal thing! Congratulations! But let's not chat out here. Let's get you inside.

Getting more Murph is one of the big perks of being a Top Ranger :allears:

Conference Room.

We'll do the usual rounds first, of course.

(Boy) People in black outfits had these cool PC things with them. I want one, so I came to buy one. Doesn't the Union sell them?
(Boy's Mom) Dear, we don't know if the Union even sells those machines that look like PCs.

I blew up six Gigaremo units.

Murph won't let us go upstairs and nobody else have anything new to say, so Conference Room it is.

Union share the same goal. It is to maintain peace in the Almia region.

Oh hello there.

Sorry for being late!
Welcome, the twelfth Top Ranger. ...Your arrivals mean that of the twelve Top Rangers, four are based on Almia. Incidentally, haven't you two noticed? I suppose it's understandable from being so nervous, but... You should both be very familiar to each other, dears. Turn your surprised faces from me and look at each other.

If it isn't Kellyn! I didn't clue in at all! The other new Top Ranger is you, Kellyn!?

:cripes:

Ahahaha! Caught you off your guard, did we? To punish the so-called Team Dim Sun, we needed more Top Rangers. That's why we chose you two youngsters and summoned you. It's a major promotion, born from an inspiration shared by Erma and me. If things don't work out, it will be solely our responsibility to bear. You two are free to do as you wish without restraint. I present you with the symbol of Top Rangers: the Fine Styler!
Whoa! A Fine Styler? Awesome!

This is good and all, but I'd honestly prefer being able to take more than 4 Friend Pokemon... :(

Let me describe how the Fine Styler is different. The Fine Styler can charge up power for making captures more easily. We've cleverly named this feature "Power Charge." It's the biggest change from the Stylers you've used up to now. Rather than attempting ot capture right away, use the Power Charge. By charging power, you'll convey more feelings of friendship to your target. It's a feature that will help make your capture attempts more efficient.

We're then thrown into another tutorial. All we need to know is that holding the Styler in place will charge it, but moving will reset the timer. Once it's charged, the line will turn rainbow and each of our loop will give twice the normal Friendship. Removing the line in any way will force us to charge it all over again.

It's a useful feature and we can use Ranger 1 techniques for this. More importantly, doing the final loop in this mode will give us quite a bit of extra EXP :getin:

That's enough of that!
that will do for your orientation. ...Keith, I know why you were late getting here. On the way here, you stopped to save Pokemon controlled by Team Dim Sun. Townspeople who saw this were delighted, and they phoned in their thanks. That's what is expected of the Pokemon Rangers. Well, everyone. Let's return to our jobs.

*Hastings, Erma, Wendy leave*

Hehehe, I got commended right off the bat. But boy, oh boy, you bet I'm surprised. I never thought I'd be a Top Ranger with you, Kellyn. This Buizel's my Partner. We met in the Fiore region. I adore it.

We've already seen that Buizel in a few of the past Almia Times.

[Talk] Weren't we supposed to go to the Operation Room?
[Talk] The Operation Room is on the third floor. You take an escalator up there. Please watch your step when getting on and off.

Top Operators. They do tend to chatter too much, however. Okay, people, let's not be rude. Introduce yourselves to our new faces.

I don't think I'm really chatty, but I'm sure not the silent type.

We've already known her name, but now I can make her portrait :j:

You don't need to learn my name, though. I mean, it's not as if you don't have enough to memorize already.

The game is very self aware about it, at least :v:

Oh hello there. Again.

I haven't been here veyr long because I graduated not even a year ago, and...! Wait! You two... You're Kellyn and Keith! What are you two doing here?!
Giggle... I'm sorry we didn't tell you. But you three being here is no coincidence. We were informed of your trio from Mrs April of the Ranger School. You pledged to make your dreams come true in Ascension Square. The fact that all three of you have held on to those dreams brought you here.

Well isn't that nice :unsmith:

One last thing: Top Rangers have the right to assign Missions to themselves. Rely on your experience, believe in your instincts, and know who you are helping. You are responsible for your own actions. Top Rangers do not answer to a Leader. Of course, don't hesitate to approach your seniors for advice. ...That said, the senior top Rangers are all in the field now. They are investigating far and wide to solve the mystery of the Dark Stone.
:sigh:

*Incoming voicemail*

Oh? Speaking of senior Top Rangers, we have a transmission from Sven?

Please confirm.
You got it. Is that Linda I hear? There's something I want passed on to Chairperson Erma. This place is crawling with Team Dim Sun minions. They're slowing me down. I'd like Erma to send a young Ranger or two to help clear the vermin.
Understood! *ends transmission*
*To Erma* Chairperson Erma! You overheard that whole exchange. That's what Sven wants relayed to you.
A young Ranger or two, did he say? Then, two he shall have. Kellyn and Keith, this is a good opportunity for you to go meet Sven. You two are to join in the field. This is a Mission from me. Perhaps you'll find it less than challenging for Top Rangers to do.

Music: Mission Received

Assign your own mission, they said. Answer to no leader, they said. :sigh:

Music: Ranger Union
Sven is in the Chroma Ruins, which are in the Chroma Highlands. You can get there by traveling east (→) from Altru Park. Sven has been chasing leads on the Dark Stones found in Gigaremo machines. He's a daredevil and a trifle offbeat. But he's also an excellent Ranger.
[Talk] It sounds like there are more incidents that we can blame on Team Dim Sun.
[Talk] You're the youngest Top Ranger that we've ever had.
[Talk] The Chroma Ruins are in the north (↑) of the Chroma Highlands. They say no one goes near them. Oh, there's another thing! Please say hi to Sven for me, you know, from Rhythmi!
[Talk] This will be your first visit to the Chroma Highlands? The name may make you imagine a refreshing mountain meadow, but it's nothing like that. It's covered in pitch-black mist. It's not nice at all. Please don't get hurt. ...Please be sure to tell Sven that. Don't forget! I'm Linda!
[Talk] Don't worry about me.
[Talk] This Sven waiting for us at the Chroma Ruins... I wonder what he's like?

Didn't you read the Almia Times? Oh yeah, you were in Fiore :v:

On another note, let's have a vote! Which lucky Pokemon is going to be our partner for our very first Top Ranger Mission?

Your choices:
  • Pachirisu
  • Kricketot
  • Cranidos
  • Croagunk
  • Turtwig
  • Mystery Pokemon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Power Charge is an excellent upgrade and I'm glad they added that to the game.

Let's give our Mystery Pokemon a chance to be a Top Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mystery pokemon! I actually have no idea which pokemon that is!