Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Mystery pokemon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Mystery Pokémon, don't even remember which one it is.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We need the Kricketopmon to match our top ranger status

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

turtwig hasnt gotten to shine yet

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Mystery pokemon. :iiam:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Roads

Up on the Peril Cliffs... That Shieldon gets stuck like that sometimes. It gets up there and then gets stuck trying to get down.

It shouldn't be climbing in the first place, but I can understand wanting to climb, too. Ranger, you should rescue that Shieldon. Will you do it?

I'm more worried about how it got up there in the first place, but I guess we could get it down nonetheless.

Be careful!

These are the Peril Cliffs. I do a lot of training here.

Unfortunately, Shieldon is halfway inside the Peril Cliffs so we'll have to deal with all the Staravia and Gligar :suicide:

Base EXP: 60

You chose to bring Shieldon (this round's mystery Pokemon), and I'm glad to say that it's the best Partner Pokemon out of them all. It is very much appreciated for this mission because oh god this mission really sucks :shepicide:

While we're here, let's grab Cherrim real quick before flying out.

...Climbing back out it is :sigh:

It's a cute little Cherrim!
That isn't a Cherrim, silly. Don't you agree, Ranger?

Um...

Oh, so that is a Cherrim! Cherrim, Cherrim♪ Cherrim, Cherrim.
I don't know... It looks like a Budew to me.

Of course that's not a Cherrim. Yeah. I was just testing you.

Then, what does Cherrim look like? Please, please, please tell me. What kind of a Pokemon is it? If that's not a Cherrim, can you bring me a real one, please?♪
Real ones should be on a cliff.♪ Yes, high up on Peril Cliffs.♪ That's where♪ they are.♪
Then, Ranger, please! Please bring back a Cherrim from the Peril Cliffs.♪

Thank you kindly, Ranger!
All happy now!♪

We got a mail as usual, but since we're now a Top Ranger...

Rhythmi calling! Your Quest is confirmed cleared! You're going strong, Kellyn! I'll transmit your Power-up Data right away. (Receiving Power-up Data...)

The dialogue might've changed, but everything else is the same. Including the waiting part when receiving the data :sigh:

Oh, this is going to be Rhythmi's main contribution for the rest of the game, by the way. Even named characters aren't immune to the Operators' Curse :saddowns:

Music: Pueltown

I wish I could block the path again. But I can't do that on my own say-so!

Sucks to be you :buddy:

The road between Altru Park and Chroma Highlands has a lot of new Pokemon, so let's get catching :dance:

Flaaffy is spicing up its attack; its two waves of bolts have a different amount each :aaa:

Base EXP: 103

The tree here only have a Pikachu, but we have a new Pokemon right here already.

Base EXP: 100

The tree near Ponyta might have a boring Pikachu, but the tree north of it have something a lot interesting.

And by interesting I also mean infuriating. Remember Ninjask's gimmick in Ranger 1? Where it zips around REALLY quickly and constantly goes offscreen but we only need 1 loop to capture it?

Well, the zipping arouund quickly and constantly going offxcreen bit are still there. The 1 loop needed is not. AND if we take too long between each loop its Friendship will drain :argh:

Thankfully, you chose Shieldon. Steel assist works just like Rock assist: we just chuck steel at them so we don't have to worry about any looping. AND Shieldon's assist lasts for a whopping 20 seconds :getin:

Walk north (↑), walk, keep walking.

The path directly north is blocked and we STILL haven't seen any Pokemon that can cut it yet, so we'll have to take a slightly longer way.

Oh well, there's still more new Pokemon to encounter.

Base EXP: 68

I guess Girafarig is trying to be memorable by having 3 attacks and small EXP yield. I totally forgot about those gimmicks so I don't think they're working :v:

Nuzleaf likes to jump around even while having leaves around it. It's loving annoying :argh:

Base EXP: 103

Remember when Nuzleaf was a relatively effortless EXP pinata? :smith:

The other end of the quicker path isn't blocked, so we can see what's inside. There's a tree with a Combee (meh) and a "tree". The nearest Pokemon with Lv2 Soak are Bibarel that can be found in front of Ranger Union & Pueltown :effort:

There's still more of this road to go. And with it comes more new Pokemon again :dance:

Tauros' main gimmick was that they always huddle together so we'd have to get into multicapture with them. Well, that's gone now! :confuoot:

Base EXP: 64

It is a mist, but instead of it being white or even gray, it's pitch black. What kind of a natural phenomenon is that? Still, maybe the Dark Mist can be lifted with the help of Pokemon.

Would you believe that all these new Pokemon are located on a two-screens-long road? I guess they're trying to hype up our new status before bringing us down with the mission proper.

Dodrio only have one attack: each of its head pecks once before all of them peck together for massive damage (I think; I haven't got hit yet).

You know what Dodrio doesn't do? It doesn't dart around quickly and jump around often anymore :)

Base EXP: 110

A veteran guard is keeping an eye on the road in the meantime.

Things are tough all over, it seems.

Having a criminal organization running amok tends to have that effect, yes.

Music: Team Dim Sun!

Speaking of criminal organization...

With this much Dark Mist pumped out, no trespasser will get very far.

Send out Pokemon suitable for the dark! Ticka-ticka-tappa, and Enter!

Music: Team Dim Sun Battle (Weak Grunt)

Murkrow don't send out mists, surprisingly. At least in this battle

Music: Capture Complete

Base EXP: 71

You unseeable trespassers! You're not getting away with this! *flees*

It's me, Hastings! We're getting abnormal signals from your Stylers, Kellyn and Keith! What seems to be the matter?
This is Keith. A Dark Mist is covering the Chroma Highlands. We think that's the cause.
I see. It appears your Stylers are having to seek radio signals in that Dark Mist. I would imagine your Styler Energy will drain quickly in the mist. Be sure to recharge your Stylers often, both of you!

Yeah, our goal now is to find a Skarmory (I expected Altaria, to be honest) while our Styler's Energy is being drained with our vision obscured. Fun. :sigh:

Also, did something change between the pictures?

:derp:

Carnivine will attack us and it is loving relentless. It won't stop jumping and our only hope is to get away while it's preparing to jump.

So yeah, our goal now is to find a Skarmory while our Styler's Energy is being drained with our vision obscured while chased by plenty of Carnivine. Fun. :sigh:

It's not as bad as a timed stealth mission. Yet. The worst is yet to come :shepicide:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 15, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1234567890num posted:

[Music: Roads
img]https://lpix.org/3848610/road%20(2).png[/img]

Broken image here.

quote:

It is a mist, but instead of it being white or even gray, it's pitch black. What kind of a natural phenomenon is that? Still, maybe the Dark Mist can be lifted with the help of Pokemon.

Is this the right image?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...why Skarmory in particular? Why not just 'any big flying Pokemon' and if they really want it to be a Skarmory just don't spawn any other options?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Each Pokemon is hardcoded by the Styler to only be able to use one (1) move for target clears.

Alternatively: they know Skarmory's the only Pokemon in the area that fits that description so they just flat out say "use Skarmory" to be directly helpful instead of being vague.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

Guess we should get started on finding that Skarmory. Carnivine never used this move when we saw them before, so I'm even more convinced that Pokemon in multicaptures are holding back.

We found Gloom's habitat. Girafarig, Tauros or Dodrio can all fulfill the requirement. Not that it'll be useful for us right now :confuoot:

There's still no shortage of new Pokemon here although that styler drain makes things more difficult. The red number is hard to see what with the question mark behind it, but our styler loses 1 Energy every about 5 seconds.

At least there's a helpful sound effect too so we don't suddenly found ourselves with 0 health. Yes, this mist can cause a Game Over.

[Talk] There should be a Pokemon somewhere that can get rid of this Dark Mist.

Gee thanks :geno:

Abra have no attack; it just teleports around constantly.

Pikachu restores almost half our health and it's a lifesaver. Too bad this is the only one in this place.

Carnivine is a lot more plentiful and nowhere near as useful :argh:

2 mines? Simultaneously? On a regular encounter? Madness! :psyduck:

Base EXP: 106

But, you know, it doesn't matter how thick we make the mist, right? All it takes is one Pokemon with a move for clearing mist to blow it away. Is that true? ...Are you going to answer? Wait... Are you two Ranger?! I can't see you to tell, so let me confirm it this way. If you're one of our guys... Sorry!

Music: Team Dim Sun Battle (Weak Grunt)

Koffing no longer has its unique puffing up mechanic :(

Base EXP: 70

You were Rangers after all! *flees*

Glad we're on the same page :v:

If you're thinking that we'll need that Bastiodon, you're completely correct! :confuoot:

can use Area Move Demist? ...Wha--? Why, you... You're not on our side! Not being able to see each other's faces is inconvenient as all get-out!

That's a phrase you don't see often. Still more widely used than "also-ran," though.

This battle is basically a mix of our previous two grunt battles. It'd be hard if Shieldon's assist isn't so good :v:

We've hidden all the Pokemon with Demist! Heheh, what do you think of that? *flees*

I think that there should be no reason to rename Defog into Demist, but :shrug:

Carnivine might be nowhere near as useful as Pikachu, but it still have a use.

Sure enough, there's Skarmory inside. Who immediately fly off, forcing us to chase it manually :sigh:

There's flowers here, but we can't do anything with them right now :(

So, where's Sven?

Oh yeah, the path to the top is unblocked. We still need to chase the Skarmory though :sigh:

The lower levels of the Chroma Ruins form a giant maze, apparently.

That doesn't sound like a fun time... :shepicide:

Anyway, we can worry about that later. For now, here's a rare shot of a docile Carnivine. I don't know why they allow us to use Lv2 Tackle when there's literally 0 reason to, but :shrug:

Skarmory is in all the way back near the beginning. I guess they could've been meaner and put it in some other place like... I don't know... Peril Cliffs? But still... :mad:

At least it, like Dodrio, thankfully lost its gimmick. It doesn't constantly flies offscreen and flees anymore. :)

In fact, I don't think any Pokemon in this game flees. Captures in this game generally lasts longer (although they're easier), so this is understandable.

Base EXP: 130

Finally.

This will stop our Styler Energy from draining.

Now that the mist is gone, we can reach Bastiodon and get charged by capture it.

Its attack is nothing interesting; it does drop 3 rocks instead of the usual 1, but eh.

The more interesting part is that it requires a lot of loops. I got the 50+ loops bonus when capturing it, and that's after using the charge feature.

Base EXP: 200

Good EXP, but not worth grinding.

With it, another new Pokemon is available.

Remember the time when we had a lack of actual bosses and instead have unofficial bosses and bonus bosses? Well, Bastiodon is an unofficial boss and Vileplume is a bonus boss.

In addition to requiring plenty of loops, its two attacks both have a very large range.

Base EXP: 70

Our first Lv3 Cut Pokemon :toot:

Oh, and we used up our Lv3 Tackle, so we'd have to capture Bastiodon again :confuoot:

*50+ Loops Later*

[Talk] I hope Sven's not sick of waiting for us...

Welp. Nothing left to do but go in the ruins.

Music: Mission Start!

Music: Caves

ceiling. I think there's another level up there... Hey, over there! There's a Drifblim!

...That means we can go up to a different floor from here!

Becoming a Top Ranger marks the part of the game where dungeons start becoming a lot bigger and more intricate, but this dungeon is NOT a good introduction. And the Drifblim is a big reason why.

Before we can reach Drifblim, we're ambushed by a Hypno.

Hypno's gimmick is that it has a long buildup before each attack.

The first attack's buildup has a straight projectile shooting, but this one has jack poo poo :v:

Base EXP: 122

Catching Drifblim could've been worse, but it's still annoying enough. Takes about 20 seconds (not including the loading time).

Base EXP: 80

Before I explain why this place is bad, let's capture another new Pokemon.

Duskull has TWO fires circling around it. Because one isn't bad enough.

Base EXP: 111

So, a regular part of this series is using Field Move on targets, after which the Pokemon will be released immediately. This game added a mechanic where we need it to progress through a dungeon. So far, we have Mantine and Drifloon, both of which are not too bad due to the linearity of the dungeons.

Now, combine that with a maze, where we'll easily get lost and have to backtrack. Even if we didn't get lost, we'll still have to backtrack if we didn't have the foresight to bring the required Pokemon ahead of time. Now imagine that we have to spend about 30 seconds every time we want to backtrack in order to catch a Pokemon :shepicide:

Well, if you're playing this game, you don't have to imagine it because Chroma Ruins is "generously" providing you that experience! :suicide: This place isn't actually that big, but it is very annoying. Later places are bigger but less annoying.

Either way, we'll explore the ruins proper next update. For now, enjoy our glossaries since way back since we haven't had one in a while.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I still love the concept of these games but the execution really does seem to be a hot mess, doesn't it. I'd like to see them release a new Ranger game now though, the Switch controls seem like they'd work well for the looping captures and hopefully they've learned a bit more about dungeon and puzzle design. Because the main idea of borrowing local animal friends to do good things is very :3: and should be explored more.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

How would the Switch work with the looping? :confused:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

It is technically a touch screen; I suppose it could come with a special styler? I did not have particular luck with the TWEWY port touch controls, though. Something about the hard glass vs the DS lower screen just doesn't work.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Let's not get technical here, I wasn't thinking any further than 'joycon sticks go in circles easily'.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Honestly I just wanted to vent about the Switch's touch screen :shobon: You're right, although it'd be a bit hard to adjust to I feel like. Not as much fine control.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Joycon sticks does go in circles, but I don't think it controls accurately enough. It's very easy to accidentally hit the Pokemon/attacks. Mine attacks especially would be a nightmare.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Levitate Count: 1

Because yes we're going to count how many times a normal player will capture Drifblim.

The upper level here only has this lone Pupitar.

It can either charge once or multiple times. A bit annoying but eh.

Base EXP: 117

Proceeding into the ruins, we have these Sableye.

Dark ripples are very common in this place. Not common enough for me to make a tally of it, though.

Base EXP: 114

There's another fork in the road. Going north leads to this rock.

An Electabuzz? That means...

Yep. We have a return of darkness :confuoot:

We're going to capture plenty of Pupitar, Electabuzz and Sandshrew in this place. They're mostly the reasons why we're backtracking with Drifblim so much.

Base EXP: 110

Oh look, we have a new Field Move. If I remember correctly there's only Tunnel only has Lv1, so I don't know why they bother with the numbers.

Tunnel lets us makes tunnels holes. We still have to light up the room since the game won't let us Target Clear in the darkness.

Another fork. To the right we have...

...a Drifblim and a door containing a Pupitar. Meh.

The left is the way to go. Except we need Pupitar (which is available in this floor) and Electabuzz (which is not). So if you don't think to recapture Electabuzz, well, that's one Drifblim and at least 30 seconds wasted.

Levitate Count: 2

Going past that leads us to wild Koffing

There's also a soil which we can dig through with the Sandshrew that's thankfully available on this floor.

This is by far the biggest area. It's shaped like a "G" minus the top part and we start in the southeast corner.

Obviously we can't go to the right side of the area, but we can capture this Kirlia (that rhymes :v:).

Kirlia teleports constantly. That wouldn't be so bad if its teleport animation isn't so drat long :argh:. At least it doesn't have any attack...

...Huh. Turns out it does.

Base EXP: 120

Teleport? That's new. I wonder what it does.

Oh, it brings us all the way back to the beginning. Would be more useful if there aren't a shortcut at the end of almost every dungeon, but tt's still a nice option for when we only want to go halfway through.

The northwest corner has two holes. Let's go down the one covered with soil first.

...Welp. Back up we go. :sigh:

Levitate Count: 3

The other hole isn't blocked, but we immediately have to go up another hole.

Levitate Count: 4

What is that nose-twisting stench...?

At least we don't have to smell the stench. This dungeon is bad enough already.

The only Pokemon with Lv2 Psy we know is Hypno. Who is available on the short path just down this hole. Which means one more Drifblim for the count.

Levitate Count: 5

Not sure what Skuntank doing here, but :ms:

Skuntank farts out a poison gas every few seconds without any warning. I guess this is our first introduction toward attacks without warning. Would've been nice to know that before fighting Drapion.

Base EXP: 255

The best Field/Area Move :v:

Oh yeah, that hole and Skuntank's room is in the eastern part of the "G" room. Bastiodon is in the middle part of the room.

There's a Pupitar in the southeast corner, so we can break this rock easily. But there's another path up, so...

Levitate Count: 6

We're seeing all sorts of Sealed Doors today! Psy Power only goes up to Lv3, so there'll be no more Sealed Doors.

At least coming up here is not a total waste.

Umbreon can either release dark pulses simultaneously or one at a time.

Base EXP: 270

Even if we have the foresight to bring Bastiodon from outside, we still have to go through that detour. We'll see why shortly.

FINALLY :toot:

I'll explain later. Good to see you here safe. Well done, you two. So far, so good. I'm Sven. Nice to see you. This is my Luxray. It's my most trusted Partner.

Luxray: Gwahahahong.

No time to waste. I need your help. Sssh. Hear those voices? I want to hear what they're discussing. Too many Team Dim Sun goons around for my liking.

(Up) we can, but they're running out. There are only light-colored ones left. You can see right through those.
(Down) Yeah, I'm noticing that, too. But keep those clear ones anyway. You can make jewelry out of them and sell them to the gullible. How else are we supposed to get by on our rotten salaries?

You can always :frogout:

You hear that? Those Dim Sun goons are collecting rare stones for pocket money. Those Dim Sun goons are collecting rare stones for pocket money. They said Dark Shards, right? Those must be the Dark Stones in the Gigaremo machines. Sounds like they only use the dark-colored Dark Shards for Gigaremo. And seems like they've stripped the place of all the good Dark Shards. There's nothing left but the useless light-colored ones.

Thank you for the summary :rolleyes:

So... What'll we do? How do you propose to run them out of the Ruins?
Should the three of us take them on?
Hold it. There's a Pokemon in these ruins that can produce an overwhelming stench. You know what I'm saying?
[Talk] Sven seems like the kind of guy who'd be really popular, huh?

Why can't we just take them on? Kellyn took out 8 of them by himself while Barlow tries to capture Drapion :colbert:

Imagine if someone had the foresight to bring Bastiodon. They'd come here, found out that they need Skuntank, and have to spend a Drifblim to get to the other path. It's pretty unlikely, but it's a "gently caress you" nonetheless.

Or better yet, imagine a case where someone saw the sealed door and left it alone thinking that it's just an optional side area. They'd find out they need Bastiodon, go through the detour, find out they need Skuntank, and go through the detour again before coming here for the third time.

This dungeon sucks, is what I'm saying. And yes, I AM going to count that second scenario toward the tally.

Levitate Count: 8

It looks small, but remember that we can only hold 4 Friend Pokemon. One for Drifblim and one for whatever Pokemon we need, leaving only 2 free spots. We're a Top Ranger and we can only hold 4 Pokemon. Circe STARTED her career with that ability without any training :sigh:

Good going. Another step cleared. You know where to use the Area Move, right? All right, folks, showtime. ...Pinch your noises.
[Talk] Hurry! Uncork Skuntank's move!

At least the worst part of this dungeon (and this game) is over. We can now look forward to the bright future (of Almia).

change, too?

There's nothing illegal going on here.

of Team Dim Sun. You can ignore us!

Sorry. Keith and Sven won't let us ignore you.

Music: Time to Flee

(???) That's horrid! Gweeeh!
(???) I agree! Gweeeh!
(???) Aiyah! My eyes are on faiyah!

This is the best time to make a rhyme :rimshot:

Couldn't have gone better, I'd say. ...Whoa. Keep your noses pinched.

Sven, you could've told me earlier... Bweah!
[Talk] Forget the goons that ran off. What we're after is deeper in the Ruins.
[Talk] Graak... The Chroma Ruins run much deeper than I imagined.

Don't worry, we're almost done. Just a few more (very linear) screens to go.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 25, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I didn't remember this place too well. And it all came rushing back. Christ.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The hole near where we unleashed Skuntank leads us to this intersection. South is where we came from, east has a Drifblim and west has a Pikachu. The Drifblim can be useful to levitate back (hah!), but it and Pikachu are more useful for their assists against our boss.

Video: Spiritomb

Oh yeah, our Shieldon has rainbow notes now. It means it's excited and will fill up the Partner Gauge even faster than when it's just happy.

Is it guarding something valuable?
Who knows? It's sure not about to let us pass without a challenge. That Spiritomb's a tricky one. You all ready?

Sure.

Right. Let's go!

Music: Team Dim Sun Admin Battle

This boss is literally just some random strong Pokemon lying around. It doesn't even get its own boss portrait. It does have the fancy boss BGM so it has more fanfare than it deserves.

Spiritomb's gimmick is that it'll switch around between the 5 rocks, each with different attacks. Even if a rock doesn't have a Spiritomb on it, it'll still break our line if we bump into it.

Its middle attack is the dark pulse we've seen plenty of times on the way here, but it lasts for a lot longer. Shieldon's assist is still VERY good here :getin:

Ghost assist is useful too, but it's nowhere near as useful as in Ranger 1. The main difference is that the ghosts no longer appear if the loop contains a Pokemon.

Its final attack is the always-annoying jumping fires. Otherwise, Spiritomb is very meh. It doesn't even spice up its attack after we give it some Friendship :flaccid:

Base EXP: 1000

It's a meh boss fitting for the overall bad dungeon. At least it's better than a frustrating boss (like Ranger 1's Salamence).

There's a chill in the air. Feels like there's something back there.

This counts as "something", but it doesn't look like what we're looking for. Not that we're getting a Lv5 Cut Pokemon anytime soon.

I've been on the trail of this thing for quite a long while. Seems someone's already gone and hauled it away. You see that hole there? They must've pried out something pretty big from a hole that size. I reckon it was a giant Dark Shard... The Shadow Crystal, as it were. I figure it's bigger by far than those silvers those goons were scrounging for. Worse, I reckon it to be the color of pure darkness with no hint of light. That Shadow Crystal's been carried away, I'm afraid.
Even the Spiritomb we saw couldn't protect the Shadow Crystal?
Don't think that's right. I'd say that the Shadow Crystal was guarded by a Darkrai, most likely. A Pokemon that prefers darkness. That's Darkrai. It makes no sense, though... Why couldn't the Darkrai protect the Shadow Crystal? Darkrai's a touch challenge to capture... How'd it allow this?
What would they want to do with the Shadow Crystal?
You have any idea what the size of this here hole means? Imagine breaking up a crystal of this size. How many Gigaremo and Miniremo units do you think they could make? Just imagining it makes me ill. Team Dim Sun's boss must be laughing. I'd say he'd be happy to get ahold of that huge Shadow Crystal.
Would that boss be Kincaid?
Could be. Could be not.
[Talk] The Shadow Crystal... Darkrai...
[Talk] Let's keep going in. Might be some clues.

So we keep pushing forward into the hole...

...through a path which leads to the way out of this cave :woop:

It's ancient, this shack. *reads the sign* Something's written here... "Al-ru O-l." Altru Oil?! This shack is where Altru Inc. started?

This shouldn't be a surprise if you read the glossary I posted 2 updates ago.

*Everyone goes inside*

Music stops

olden days?

ago.

Table It's papers on an oil-field development.

X month, XX day
Th- res--ves o- oil --- plungi-g. T-e de--ine is cl-ar to th- eye. N-w oilfie-ds need to be s-ruck, but t--re --e no funds avail--le.

X month, XX day
An--her o- our c--leag-es gre- d-shear--ned a-d lef- us. P-----u in---ently tri-- to che-r me, -ut it o-ly mak-s me feel wo-se...

X month, XX day
--e oil res--ve is do-n to half ---- of la-t -ear. - fear for --e fut-re of Al-ia. To-ay, sev-ral mys---iou- black sto-es we-e unear---d from the dri--ing -ite. They ---e unlike a-ythin- I had ev-- seen. They sh-ne wi-- a dark, al--ring light. I felt som--hing stir in my h-art in resp--se to its --scina-ing darkn--s...

X month, XX day
--e Sh-d-w Cry---- is --- ans--- to o-- e-erg- ----- --- po--r is t-e ---r that c-- f--l us fo--ver in all per--tuity. We --- -- l---er b--nd by --- ------tions ------- -- ---- --- dr--m -- ----...

After this, the diary is too damaged by fire to read.

A burnt-up diary? ...! It's badly damaged, but I can make out words like "darkness" and "black." We'll take it back to the Union for analysis.

*Flushing sounds*

Ka-chunk...

Oh hello there.

Uh, well, I'm... Who are you people?
That voice! That face! Is that really you, Ponte?! The Ranger School's conflicted marshmallow boy! It's me, Keith! And look, here's Kellyn, too!

I don't remember hearing that nickname before :confused:

What?! You're kidding, right? Since when did you become Top Rangers?
Never mind that, Ponte... When'd you become a Dim Sun?
Huh? Oh, this outfit? Yeah, it sure is a Team Dim Sun uniform, all right. But I didn't agree with their policies, so I quit the day I joined. You know me, I'm the conflicted marshmallow boy. I'm back ot being free. I made this shack my home. Did you know? This is where Altru Inc. probably started out. It said so in an old diary that was all charred from fire. The diary's so beat up, it's almost impossible to read, though.

We know that already.

But, hey, let me tell you about Team Dim Sun. Those guys are a bad joke. They're clueless about what they stand for, or even about what they're doing. They claim to be good with their slogan, "A bright future for Almia!" ...And yet they have that Dim Sun name. I can't figure them out at all.

We kinda figured, but it's nice to have confirmation.

They were actually here until a couple days ago. They were digging up a giant hunk of, I don't know what it was, coal, maybe? All I know is that it was a huge effort with lots of Pokemon doing the digging. It was hard work, and I had my doubts, so I quit Team Dim Sun right there and then.

So basically part of the reason Ponte quit is because of :effort:

I decided that I'll kick back and ponder my future here. Fortunately, there's a big stock of canned food here and a working toilet.
Sounds like you've got it figured. So, what became of that giant hunk of coal?
Some higher-ups, you know, better than us Minions, took it away by helicopter. Not sure if they went to the mountains or the sea, though. Besides the giant coal, they also took off with a big shipping container. I don't know what was inside, but I heard some cries coming from it.
Cries?

We've taken care of the cargo ship, although we still have no idea where it was heading to.

Sorry we distrubed you, marshmallow boy. I reckon you told us all you know. Thank you kindly.
[Talk] There's a lot to report to the Union.
[Talk] We're done with this place.

Yeah, we are.

You two go back to the Union. ...Whoa, almost forgot. I had this to say. Mission Clear, you two!

Be sure that diary gets into Prof. Hastings's hands. I'll report to him by voicemail. We'll meet again. You're both hotshots! *runs off*
I'll take off for the Union now. We'll look bad as Top Rangers if we're always together, right? *runs off*

Sign "Al-ru O-l" This sign is quite old and illegible.

We're left with free reign now.

There's also another fallen tree we can cut in Vien Forest, but it leads to nothing important.

...Yeah, I know this leads to nothing important either. But it's the closer one so... :sigh:

Well that after-mission party was underwhelming. Let's just fly to Ranger Union and report our result.

Music: Ranger Union

Good going on your Mission. Don't forget to report in to Chairprerson Erma. Don't forget to report in to Chairperson Erma.
Welcome back from your Mission.

He really was cool.

Yeah, yeah we get it.

Welcome back. Sven's request for one or two Rangers as backup... We actually staged it as a test of your abilities in the field. We just received a report from Sven, as a matter of fact. He rated your performance as "flawless."

Still a loving terrible Mission :colbert:

Excellent work, you flawless twosome! That badly burned diary is sure to give up clues. It must contain secrets about the Shadow Crystal. Our researchers are analyzing its contents even as we speak. If you want a technical explanation as to what they're doing, allow me. Microscopic measuring, optical analyses, molecular-level X-ray spectroscopy... And that's merely scratching the surface, I'll have you know. We employ every conceivable cutting-edge technology to do our work.

:allears:

...That's how we do things here. If I had to explain it simply... "Technology is incredible!" That's how I would put it, yes. Well, well, let's review your performance. You'll be glad to know Sven gave both our new Top Rangers top marks. You're both promoted to Ranger Rank 5!

Music: Rank Up!

This unlocks Ice and Dragon assists. More importantly, this also unlocks our fifth Friend Pokemon :toot:

You must be wrung out from all the excitement today. You may rest, if you'd like.

OH GOD PLEASE

Very well. Rest easy.

Another mission done, another Partner Pokemon voting. And another mystery Pokemon into the fray.

Your choices:
  • Pachirisu
  • Kricketot
  • Cranidos
  • Croagunk
  • Turtwig
  • Shieldon
  • Mystery Pokemon

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Never not voting mystery pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Technology is incredible" is the most Pokemon line even if it comes up way too late in this game.

Also we must know who our mystery Pokemon is!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm told the diary's deciphering will be slow. In the meantime, go on patrol, please. Report to me when you're done, dear.

Let's go on patrol! :downs:

They want us on patrol until they're done deciphering that burned diary.
that burned-up diary is proving harder to decipher than expected, it seems.

Sven is always on the move to all sorts of places. They say he hardly ever comes back to the Union HQ.
Did you know? Sven is the seventh Top Ranger. Isn't that kind of neat?

What a coincidence. I wonder what number Wendy is...

(Vatona) pages, obviously.
(Nage) While we're deciphering the diary, we're also developing a new Styler.

I want to quit Altru Inc. and come work for the Union.
You know those bad machines popping up all over the place? Are those the Ranger Union's? For a survey or something?
Do something about those creepy thugs! ...I was shouting that.
Some Pokemon ran through my yard and tore up my garden something fierce! What are you going to do about it?!
We've been flooded with complaints lately. We're feeling a little overwhelmed...

I really don't envy these receptionists :wave:. At least someone's trying ot help.

about things in the town instead of here?

I'm not sure what they're going to do either :shrug:

The front desk crowd destroys my patrolling mood :saddowns:

Please drop by the Research Room, too.
[Talk] Let's go check in on the guys in the Research Room.
[Talk] Visit the pair deciphering it in the Research Room, will you? They've been holed up in there too long. I doubt they've slept much, if at all. They would benefit from your words of encouragement.

Keep your voices down. No shouting, ever. We do not want to disturb the fellows deciphering that diary.

Too late. We just disturbed them earlier :colbert:

Oh, no, sorry, sorry. That was a hiccup!
(Nage) Murph's sunny character uplifts me. He seems to take the edge off of things.

That's the Murph we know and love :allears:

(Nage) Oh, now, what is this? There are some letters starting to emerge on the cover. B-R-I-G-H-T-O-N. Brighton? What do you suppose that could be?
Kellyn! I've heard of Brighton before! When I first met you! In the lobby of the Altru Building!

Nice memory, Murph! :neckbeard:

What was it now? Wait, don't tell me! Was it a new kind of candy? Brighton, Brighton... Was that the name of a new soda? For whitening teeth? You should hustle to the Altru Building, that's what you should do.
Like Murph said, we might learn something by going to the Altru Building.
[Talk] Let's take this investigation to the Altru Building.
[Talk] Brighton, Brighton... Was that the receptionist lady's name? My thinking is that you need to visit the Altru Building's lobby, yep.

That would be more plausible if the game actually bothers to name the receptionist :j:

Here's an exercise for the readers: where exactly did we see the name Brighton? No cheating by looking up the update where we explore it :nono:

concerns and take action. We're lucky to have them.

There's trouble on the road to the Chroma Highlands. A Vespiquen and her sidekicks are buzzing around out of control. I was out searching for berries that I need for my jams. I accidentally walked on their nest. My apologizing didn't appease them. Ranger, you can make that Vespiquen and her sidekicks settle down, right?

Sure.

I'm sorry to put you up to this, really. I know full well it's all my fault.

Well, at least he admits it.

But my two sons... They became researchers for the Ranger Union, of all things!

The more you told people not to do something, the more they're tempted to do it :eng101:

Music: Altru Inc.

Here on the ground floor, we have exhibits on the history of Altru Inc. From the second floor and up, the building is off-limits to the public.

Most people here have the same dialogue as before.

replace oil. I don't know any details, though.

Altru Inc.'s president through the years.

His dream became reality in Altru Inc.

That would be President Brighton Hall. Should I repeat that? Our second president, Brighton hall.

If you managed to remember the middle president, then congrats!

Brighton!
It's spelled B-R-I-G-H-T-O-N. Shall I move on?

I think the guide's confused someone's actually taking interest on the middle president.

He is a standard-bearer, shaping the very future of the Almia region. A nice round of applause, please! Clap-clap.

:downsbravo:

Over three generations of fathers and sons, our presidents have dedicated themselves to the development of energy sources for your bright future.
So, that diary was written by Altru's second president, Brighton Hall! Let's go back to the Union.
[Talk] Murph remembered things half-right. It just wasn't a candy or a soda. Let's go back to the Union.

At least that's one :ms:

New Music: Go-Rock Quads!

Is that music I hear from Altru Park's bandstand? Let's check it out.

The return of the quar...tet?

From across the sea, the Fiore-born quadruplets have arrived!
If you know us, you're a beloved fan! You knew us as a criminal quartet then!
But that's all in the past! We've had a change of heart and direction! We've transformed into purveyors of theatrical rock!
What's the name of our band?! Go-Rock Quads! We can't hear you! Go-Rock Quads!! Don't be shy! Shout it, loud and proud! GO-ROCK QUADS!!!
Uh, you there! I'm grateful for your contributions to our call-and-response routine, but... We're the Go-Rock Quads. Not Go-Rock Squat! This is only a rehearsal, but please don't mess aroudn during our show.

Garret the killjoy :saddowns:

The quadruplet family band, Go-Rock Quads! Four is the magic number of any band!
Four instead of three! Four rather than five!

They then do their usual tunes. With the orders slightly switched.

...And without their final jingle :(

Music stops
...What do you think about this? We've been stressing how we're quads, and being a four-piece band, and so on... But any which way you look at us, we're a trio, as in only three people.
It's because Clyde's gone off somewhere.
Clyde has some soul-searching to do. He's pulling his hair over the lyrics for the song we're doing at the event. He flipped out when he saw the lyrics Altru sent for the song. He went off ranting and raging that he couldn't sing this stuff.

Let's hope his soul searching doesn't involve any Slaking. The soul-searching takes place entirely offscreen :sigh:

There's plenty of time before the Altru commemoration event. I wouldn't be too concerned.
If Big Bro Clyde doesn't come back, we'll have to change our name. What'll we be? The Go-Rock Trio? The Go-Rock Triplets? Go-Rock Three?

Music: Pueltown

I heard rumors about them when I was back in Fiore.
[Talk] I didn't know the band Go-Rock Quads.
[Talk] Go-Rock Quads! ...Huh? Go-Rock Trio?
[Talk] The Go-Rock Quads without Clyde? But we moved here to be closer to them!
[Talk] We moved to Pueltown from Chicole Village.

a song by Altru's president at the event.

We actually did see this crowd when we walk through here. I just didn't show it earlier because the game clearly expects us to fly directly to Altru Tower.

That was a nice diversion, but we have to get to work.

Vespiquen has two attacks, both shown here. The Combee are captured in 3 loops and deal 0 damage by now, so this capture isn't hard.

Base EXP: 126

The Vespiquen and her Combee calmed down. Bye-bye, Vespiquen!

And that's Quest Clear! Don't have to go back to the jam-maker, which is nice :toot:

May I have a moment? Near the ruins, I sometimes see a Chimchar being chased around by some Beedrill. I can imagine the Chimchar poking fun at the Beedrill to get them enraged. Still, I feel sorry for it. Can you do something about that tormented Chimchar?

I guess.

Thanks, Ranger. That took a load off my mind. The Chimchar went running off toward the highlands with the Beedrill in pursuit.

It's mighty tiring to be teamed up with a rookie.

At least your rookie is willing to do his job.

guard over the Chroma Road. I couldn't tell you why I'm guarding this road, however. Is something taking place in the Chroma Highlands?

The only thing happening there recently is the dark gem plunder :thunk:

Oh, and I guess this too.

We then have to capture all three of these Pokemon. Chimchar has no attack, but Beedrill is annoying enough. Good thing Shieldon is still very good.

Base EXP: 150

Oh yeah, there was a vote. Chimchar got two votes, which means everyone unanimously voted for it :confuoot:

With our mystery Pokemon befriended, let's go back and announce our findings. We can't fly away from Peril Cliffs but we can fly away from here, so that's nice.

Brighton's the name of Altru's second president! Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep! Just as I suspected! In other words! That diary is written by none other than Brighton of Altru Inc.! I wonder if there's anything romantic in there?
What's that, you say?! Brighton is the second president of Altru? Yes, yes, I remember now! That's true! President Brighton Hall was a rather plain and undistinguished man in appearance. I've no idea where he may live now, or indeed, if he is even alive. He'd completely slip my mind. The conclusion we can reach is that the diary was written by President Brighton.

Nobody remembers the middle child president

Yes, yes. Go on.
(Nage) Ahem. Very well. President Brighton's diary, we estimate, dates back some thirty years. At the time, it's apparent that the oil field of the Chroma Highlands was running out. Brighton was very concerned about this. But then, Brighton made a huge discovery while drilling a shaft in the oil field. A mysterious, gigantic black stone was found mounted atop a ceremonial dais. This, I believe, was what Sven mentioned in his report as the "Shadow Crystal." Brighton writes that something in his heart responded to the Shadow Crystal. He sensed that the crystal embodied an immeasurably vast amount of energy. The diary also touched upon his only child, Blake Hall. Any mention of the present-day Altru president is only in passing, however. Brighton apparently left care of his only son mostly to his wife. He focused his attention on studying the Shadow Crystal. He believed the power of darkness would finally solve Almia's energy problem. ...And that's all we have so far, unfortunately. We'll continue with our deciphering.

All of those are stuff we could've guessed by filling in the blanks. I counted the number of blanks when transcribing last update :colbert:

Well done. We're starting to see a connection emerge between the Shadow Crystal and Altru.
Wow, that's amazing. This little black stone's the energy of the future, huh?

For once this is not an emulator glitch.

M-Murph! Your chest... It's shining! What on earth is happening to you?!
Murph... Looks pretty.
What's shining isn't Murph after all, it seems. Murph! What are you hiding in your chest!
Now, hold on, Professor! I've got nothing to hide... Oh! What's shining is my pendant!

Examine the meter readings! The power of the Dark Shard has dropped sharply! What is going on here...?

The machine's display doesn't actually change

But the monitor's display did change, though :effortless:

Murph, tell us. What exactly is that blue pendant?
My pops gave it to me as a gift. It's a souvenir from Hia Valley. My pa is the leader of a Pokemon research team in Hia Valley. He said this pendant was made by an old lady who lives in Hia Valley. It's made fro ma blue stone named "Tears of Princes."
Kellyn! Don't just stand there! Hop to it at once, chop-chop! Hia Valley! Hia Valley, it is! Go to Hia Valley and gather information on the Tears of Princes at once! It's a Mission! A Mission!

Keith, I need you to stay here to assist me. Things will only get more hectic now!
Kellyn, Kellyn. I have to tell you the way to Hia Valley. You step out of the Union HQ and walk south (↓) until you reach the river. It's called the Dream River. It's really pretty. You'll want to go up that river and into a cave that leads to Hia Valley. You can see Floatzel near the river around this time of the year. You should get them to help you. A Floatzel will carry you upstream if you get onto its back from a pier. But, woohoo, what a surprising turn of events. Imagine! Me, coming up big!

And Wendy continues to do absolutely nothing

Also, Murph, you don't remember the time you solved the mystery of the spy in Hastings' lab?

The last mission was merely a milk run for our newcomers to show their mettle. This Mission is nothing of the sort. It is as serious as serious can be. I'm afraid there's no telling what you can expect, dear. Be cautious and safe.
Whatever you do, be careful. That said, it won't do if you're so cautious as to be laboriously slow! Be careful in a hurry!
I hear you grow icicles from your nose if it's runny in Hia Valley.
(Nage) Things are heating up! Or not. They say Hia Valley's so cold, you'll grow icicles if you have a runny nose.

And we just got Chimchar as our partner :getin:

Isn't Sven going with you?
The Pokemon research team should be at Shiver Camp in Hia Valley. I think you should head for the team's base first. ...By the way, you're not teamed up with Sven this time?
Oh, you're even saying bye to me? I'm sincerely happy you did.

I'm happy you care about us and not constantly ask about Sven

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 15, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1234567890num posted:

rhythmi: Sven is always on the move to all sorts of places. They say he hardly ever comes back to the Union HQ.
linda: Did you know? Sven is the seventh Top Ranger. Isn't that kind of neat?

Missing portraits here.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Time for the rangers to do a thing!

And by the rangers, I mean the protagonist! Again!

(Sorry I didn't vote but I would have voted for mystery pokemon as well anyway. I sometimes don't vote if I just agree with the people who already did...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if the whole Go-Rock Quads will show up later on.