Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Problem description: Just bought a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus to replace a 500GB 960 EVO. It's not detected in bios. Not detected in disk manager. Not detected in hardware manager... etc. etc. The computer detects and detected the 960 right out of the box. I have two of them. Both are and can be detected.

Attempted fixes: Tried switching M.2 ports and using different/solo configuration of drives. The 960s were detected every time. None caused the 970 to be detected. The 960 and the 970 seem very similar. Both utilize the same interface and form factor. It would strike me personally that the 970 is dead out of the box... But how often does that really happen?

Recent changes: None

Operating system: Windows 10.

System specs: The computer I built myself. The motherboard is an ROG Maximus X APEX.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The only thing I can think of to suggest would be to update your motherboard's firmware. The 970 Evo Plus uses a newer revision of NVMe (1.3 vs the 960s 1.2), but normally you'd at least be able to use the drive at the 1.2 spec if your board doesn't have proper support.

It's not very common, but SSDs can be DOA just like any other component.