Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

hey you! that's right, the attractive one!

you don't need an intro to blender, all that's in the blender thrad. but quick summary, amazing free 3d program you can download from https://www.blender.org.

it's a new year, if you're looking for a modest challenge and a way to get your hands dirty with blender, may I suggest you try making a low poly animal? here's a tutorial which is not a complete beginner intro to blender but is nonetheless at a very basic level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mT4XFJYq-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=456-XCXG_D0

if you've never used blender or similar software you will benefit from an overview/intro demo or two, but this project really does not presuppose a lot of knowledge.

here is something I created just yesterday following this approach:

I picked this project because it focuses on a really tiny but important subset of what blender does. getting your hands dirty with modeling is highly instructive, and since the result is intended to be low poly and unrealistic you really can't screw it up too much. it's also way less time consuming than trying to complete some of the more ambitious tutorials.

the tutorial focuses on "animals" but really the same approach should apply to modeling lots of shapes that are a bit more sophisticated than your absolute primitives. so if it would be more fun for you to try to model your avatar, or someone else's avatar, or really any darn thing, please go ahead!

the last time I tried a blender thread, I'll be honest, not too many people gave it a shot. but I'm not going to give up on you byob! it's 2020, become your best self and learn a new thing!

also feel free to post questions or comments or whatever in this thread. but I want to see some low poly animals, don't let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

i might try this on the weekend when i have more time! i do not promise to do this, because followthrough is hard

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I want to model a cat drinking a stein of guinness but I know I won't put in the effort.

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

i might try this on the weekend when i have more time! i do not promise to do this, because followthrough is hard

:peanut: please do!

Resting Lich Face posted:

I want to model a cat drinking a stein of guinness but I know I won't put in the effort.

one step at a time, let's find a reference image of the cat, we can do this together

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i keep meaning to mess with blender but everytime i open it i'm just kinda overwhelmed. there is a *lot* going on there. modelling was hard so i thought i'd try something else, couldn't figure out how to import models so i tried to just animate some primitives, got as far as a cube bouncing up and down but couldn't make it orbit a glowing sphere like i wanted and that's the last time i opened blender. any tips?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

selan dyin

im going in completely blind but its ok I used autocad for 4 months in high school around 2006

edit: uhhh ,i made a bird

maybe i will look up a tutorial

selan dyin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 8, 2020

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

probably obvious, but i made that following the same tutorial video in the op. screwed up some stuff, but i learned a bit.

i promise i'll make new content for my next post instead of just reposting.

selan dyin

Olive! posted:

a nice dog

nice!!

I got through the first half of that tutorial in the OP and had a rough penguin shape but got overwhelmed

i will come back tomorrow to give it another crack

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Back in the mid 2000s I worked at a video game studio and used 3ds max and Maya every day, but nowadays I can do a loving thing. Every time I try to use blender I give up.

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

i keep meaning to mess with blender but everytime i open it i'm just kinda overwhelmed. there is a *lot* going on there. modelling was hard so i thought i'd try something else, couldn't figure out how to import models so i tried to just animate some primitives, got as far as a cube bouncing up and down but couldn't make it orbit a glowing sphere like i wanted and that's the last time i opened blender. any tips?

I think keeping your goals modest at first is a good idea. simply completing a very simple goal or project will be helpful because you'll feel like at least you have that skill under your belt, and you'll be able to think of ways to do it faster or better or add things to it.

I don't know how complicated the model you tried to import was. the format matters, there are some proprietary formats for which blender has no support (so if you really need that specific model, you'd need to use the native software to export it to a format that blender can use, like .OBJ). but if it's something blender supports, importing should be a pretty manageable task, although not necessarily perfect. running a search for a how-to on a site like blender stack exchange is a pretty reliable way to get a good answer, or heck ask the question here if your search-fu isn't helping. The File-->Import menu command is generally how you do it, although cleaning up the model after the import can be trickier.

my point is, you'll feel better if you manage to work through little road blocks like the one above. or at least that does make me feel better and I am hoping that would be true for others.

if you managed to get a cube bouncing that's pretty good! getting it to orbit the sphere, again, what I would do is search for a tutorial or at least a simple how-to. I still do that pretty regularly, there's no way I would be able to navigate blender without making heavy use of community resources. also keep in mind that for any given task there are probably going to be many ways to accomplish it, which will have various pros and cons, but as a beginner it would be kind of hard to compare and contrast the methods, so I would focus on simplicity, followed by "if it works it works."

personally if I were going to get a cube to orbit a sphere I would probably create a circular curve object (note: not a circular mesh, it has to be an object of the "curve" type) that would act as the "track" for the cube's motion. I would then use the "follow path" constraint to put the cube on the curve (this kind of constraint gets added to the cube object, not the curve). I would then click "animate path" in the constraint settings and the animation would be created automatically, which I could then tweak.

there's no way I would expect a newbie to intuitively predict that workflow. the only reason I know it is that I've seen dozens of tutorials using that sort of solution for that sort of problem, and I myself have used it a bunch of times to accomplish various tasks.

I hope my bottom line is getting through, which is, don't beat yourself up for not being able to figure out how to do something simply by messing with the interface. there's too much going on in blender for that to be a reasonable anticipation.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

yesss animals, keep em coming!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Back in the mid 2000s I worked at a video game studio and used 3ds max and Maya every day, but nowadays I can do a loving thing. Every time I try to use blender I give up.

small steps friend, like . . . for example . . . making a low poly animal?

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

I think I'm gonna do a gator. feel free to join me!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

welp, may not be perfect, but it's a gator!

https://i.imgur.com/VxvciER.mp4

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So what if we take these and
1. throw them into Unity
2, ???
3. game

slight snag, might need rigging which I'm not sure what is involved.

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

So what if we take these and
1. throw them into Unity
2, ???
3. game

if thread manages to generate some assets, we can absolutely use them for thing(s)

sky's the limit

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

unity is a *lot* easier, or maybe their built in tutorial thing is just more accessible to me. i have the attention span of a small child and can only learn by doing, like a small child

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

unity is a *lot* easier, or maybe their built in tutorial thing is just more accessible to me. i have the attention span of a small child and can only learn by doing, like a small child

I have never used unity, although perhaps I will someday! if unity works better for you in terms of modeling then by all means use it, I didn't really mean to be blender-biased. I am really not sure how they compare other than secondhand opinions, many of them from people who prefer to model assets in blender then make their games in unity, for whatever reason.

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

Manifisto posted:

I have never used unity, although perhaps I will someday! if unity works better for you in terms of modeling then by all means use it, I didn't really mean to be blender-biased. I am really not sure how they compare other than secondhand opinions, many of them from people who prefer to model assets in blender then make their games in unity, for whatever reason.

Unity isn't a model editor it's a game engine. You import assets including rigging right into it. I don't think you can edit anything other than .BMP files and code directly in it, both of which it really wants you to double click and open in an external program (it even installs visual studio by default).

I've worked with Unity C# before, nothing too complicated but I could probably make some kind of silly adventure or platformer.

I have have (had?) a really simple prototype for a game called Fluffie Duckie saves hammock cat which is just a 2D sprite of a duck with animations that can jump and shoot fireballs. That's as far as I made it on that project. Before that I did actually make a game for an SA game jam back in like 2013 that was a cross between paper boy and crazy taxi I have the web version but that needs a plugin which doesn't work with modern browsers.

I'll see if I can find the source and make an exe version (no way in hell is that going to compile for WebGL Unity does not like changing engine versions mid project).

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

want a low poly version of your av? first person to request it I will try, but please note that it might suck especially if you have a weird av

ty nesamdoom!

Korean Boomhauer

Manifisto posted:

want a low poly version of your av? first person to request it I will try, but please note that it might suck especially if you have a weird av

Mine could be easy

Korean Boomhauer
i am installing blender atm to join in

Manifisto

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Mine could be easy

you got it! hopefully sometime tomorrow, but maybe . . . not tomorrow?

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i am installing blender atm to join in

good good!

ty nesamdoom!

Galaxander

I didn't watch the videos but I made a lil frog.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Galaxander posted:

Ribbit
\
:getin:

Manifisto

Galaxander posted:

:love: i love him, or her

ty nesamdoom!

Galaxander

Manifisto posted:

:love: i love him, or her

thanks very much

corgski

Silly goose, you're here forever.

oh hey i didn't do these in blender but i did do them in paint 3d about a month ago

maybe tomorrow i will fire up vectorworks or install blender and make a birb

thank 2 blaise rascal for a cozy sig

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

corgski posted:

oh hey i didn't do these in blender but i did do them in paint 3d about a month ago

big fan of these bees

Manifisto

corgski posted:

:3: aw man these are great

ty nesamdoom!

corgski

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Manifisto posted:

:3: aw man these are great

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

big fan of these bees

aw shucks i just wanted beemoji for a project and whipped them up real fast

thank 2 blaise rascal for a cozy sig

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
i made an animation of my favorite animal :D vvv

Manifisto

Olive! posted:

:eyepop: that would also make a sweet avatar

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

yeah man talkin bout dang ol low poly

ty nesamdoom!

slam dunk

on fire
could this be an animal?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manifisto

slam dunk posted:

could this be an animal?

I see an upside down person with a huge butt

so, good job!

ty nesamdoom!

ulvir

Manifisto posted:

:eyepop: that's a good av material for ol' korean

pixaal

Manifisto posted:

You could seriously cross post that in the King of the Hill thread, that is mighty fine work

sig by owlhawk911

Korean Boomhauer

Manifisto posted:

holy smokes this owns so hard. i love everything about it. i wonder if i could add the hats eyes to it but its so perfect already aaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

Olive! posted:

this is exactly what i want to be doing with blender

Manifisto posted:

this is super good one tiny piece of well-intentioned constructive criticism (not that i could do better or even do this) is that if his hat came down a little further on the right it would look more like it was going around his head. tbh it just looks like that one triangle of hair should be hat to me