Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

this is super good one tiny piece of well-intentioned constructive criticism (not that i could do better or even do this) is that if his hat came down a little further on the right it would look more like it was going around his head. tbh it just looks like that one triangle of hair should be hat to me

thanks! ya there are lots of little things I kept tweaking and ultimately decided to heck with it, I'm done. working fast and dirty is fun but hard to polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RATS!

the last time i touched a 3d modeling program was probably cinema 4d to make Bad rear end gaming forum signatures in 2005, following the tutorial atm

a lot harder to make something actually look like something!

RATS!

i made a rat :-)

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

runod posted:

It looks really nice, it's a bit hard to see due to the lighting, maybe you can add a light source before exporting? I'm not sure how to do that.

Blender does not like Virtual machines

installing on bare metal, we'll see if I produce anything worth sharing.

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

runod posted:

wow, nice!

a little lighting would indeed help the cause. you can pull up the world lighting by going to the World Properties tab in the Properties window. if you brighten up the color under "Surface" that will lighten up your scene, the background generally provides ambient lighting.

you can add directional lighting with "Light" objects. by default your scene should include a sun lamp when that object is selected, there is a green "Object Data Properties" tab in the Properties window, in this case it looks like a little light bulb. select it and you can adjust the strength of the light, among other things. sun lamps emit light in a certain direction but their location does not matter, so you can change the way the light is emitted by rotating the lamp like any other object. you can move the sun lamp to anywhere at all you find it convenient, it won't show up in the render.

you can also add more lamps. there are more types than the sun lamp, you can read up on them if you're interested. for these purposes you can get by with ambient world lighting and a sun lamp, the idea of picking this project was so people don't have to worry too much about the various other aspects of a scene.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

I will attempt another low poly avatar rendering if someone would like, with the same caveats about possibly sucking

ty nesamdoom!

RATS!

i might have messed something up
https://i.imgur.com/r9liaQJ.mp4

Manifisto

runod posted:

:love: I'd say you did everything right

ty nesamdoom!

Robot Made of Meat

runod posted:

I like this rat.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

biosterous

runod posted:

a loop of the jelly rat bouncing would be a good avatar

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

pixaal

runod posted:

This is art, and not the kind you generally set out to create. As Bob Ross would say, happy accidents.

sig by owlhawk911

biosterous

i started making progress on a hippo, then accidentally hit undo too many times and then did something which overwrote all my progress! so i am done for the day i think. oh well, i will probably try again tomorrow

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

i started making progress on a hippo, then accidentally hit undo too many times and then did something which overwrote all my progress! so i am done for the day i think. oh well, i will probably try again tomorrow

sorry to hear it but glad you gave it a try. I know that can be frustrating, I constantly save different versions of my work to try to prevent losing too much. blender also has an autosave which comes in pretty handy sometimes, but at a certain point stuff just happens and you lose work.

the only silver lining is, pretty much any task you do from scratch the second time around will go quicker and better

ty nesamdoom!

manero

:five:

Someone make a leopard gecko!

manero

Sorry, that sounded demanding!!

If someone happens to make a leopard gecko, I'll totally buy it as an av

Manifisto

I knew what you meant! I have found some good leopard gecko images but unfortunately not the best kind, which is a set of views of the same animal from the top, side, and front or at least different perspectives. but when I get a chance I will see what I can do.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

manero posted:

Someone make a leopard gecko!

one low poly gecko!

(spots could easily be added, this is just a simple solid material in keeping with the low poly concept)

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Manifisto posted:

one low poly gecko!

(spots could easily be added, this is just a simple solid material in keeping with the low poly concept)

i dunno man, i'm seeing a lot of poly in this beautiful lizard. how does adding spot work? can you just draw them on him like in paint3d?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

i dunno man, i'm seeing a lot of poly in this beautiful lizard. how does adding spot work? can you just draw them on him like in paint3d?

there's a ton of options. one could get a texture from a photo, one could paint him using either blender's paint tools or an external program, or one could use procedural textures--a quick simple example of that:

blender's node-based texturing is insanely powerful and a ton of fun to play with. for examples, check out the many, many things people did during the recent "nodevember" challenge. you can just google "nodevember" or have a squizz at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhLVzcCl1ug

ty nesamdoom!

manero

Manifisto posted:

one low poly gecko!

:captainpop:

I love it!

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

runod posted:

haha

slam dunk

on fire
could this be an animal?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pixaal

slam dunk posted:

could this be an animal?

I see a sand sculpture, reminds me of Dino, cross between a dog and a dinosaur.

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

slam dunk posted:

could this be an animal?

:hai: I see a very good boy

Manifisto

I am very pleased, we got a whole bunch a low poly animals itt

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

note: a couple extra tweaks and your low poly animals are photorealistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLhPhscC4F4

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

Ive been avoiding this thread but im going to try to make something!!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
someone do vanisher's av, please :pray:

slam dunk

on fire

Olive! posted:

someone do vanisher's av, please :pray:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vanisher

:eyepop:

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

lolol

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

vanisher

I made a leg!

(i'm extremely depressed now and must slink off in shame)

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I made a leg!

this is a powerful start, friend

ty nesamdoom!

selan dyin

bump lets do more low poly animals in 2022

Manifisto

BALLS DILDO posted:

bump lets do more low poly animals in 2022

hells yeah

and maybe for those who want an extra challenge some low poly trees or flowers or other greenery?

ty nesamdoom!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

runod posted:

:discourse:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I used blender for a bit a few years ago. But much like cinema4d and 3dsmax, I just don't have the patience for 3D programs. Every couple years I try my hand at it again and just can't find the courage.

I was, however, going to open up AfterEffects and make a very basic-poly something to be funny, like a four-sided pyramid and say it was a very low-poly dog or something but I got an error message that NVIDIA is no longer supporting drivers for my graphics card on Win11. WTF

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

pixaal

I don't know if it has enough polys to do the nice little jig the avatar does. Like I think you'll need another section for the feet if you want to animate it.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

I used blender for a bit a few years ago. But much like cinema4d and 3dsmax, I just don't have the patience for 3D programs. Every couple years I try my hand at it again and just can't find the courage.

I was, however, going to open up AfterEffects and make a very basic-poly something to be funny, like a four-sided pyramid and say it was a very low-poly dog or something but I got an error message that NVIDIA is no longer supporting drivers for my graphics card on Win11. WTF

that's bs about your video card, what the hell

I understand your point about 3d programs. while I don't know after effects, I've seen a few tutorials for it and it seems like it has quite a bit of complexity going on there (to the extent you want it). I'm tempted to say that if you can really master after effects there should be no theoretical reason you can't get a good working knowledge of some of blender's tools. I feel like there comes a point where the conceptual challenges have less to do with the particular program you're using and more the complexities inherent in doing 3d stuff at all.

ty nesamdoom!