Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

In Training posted:

Biden and the Dems are materially supporting a genocide that the UAW just not two months ago called for an end to. The nlrb is a joke anyway who loving cares about one appointment he made 4 years ago. The dept is still desperately underfunded and neither bourgeois party cares about it.

They had the easiest layup in history to say "neither party represents the interests of the working class + we don't support the US imperial project in Israel".

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kingcobweb posted:

Biden’s NLRB is good and he wants a good NLRB rather than bad. seems straightforward

i dont know about that chief

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the uaw being beholden to the democrats before its members or basic morality is what people are talking about when they say the professionalized nationals are hopelessly compromized

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why don't you ask a union then.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i think fain is cool, wish him success in leading the working man against the tyranny of the american state

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why don't you ask a union then.

most locals are good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking off, I have been reading Bill Haywood's autobiography and it's genuinely incredible how far the AFL went to undermine the more radical unions.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking off, I have been reading Bill Haywood's autobiography and it's genuinely incredible how far the AFL went to undermine the more radical unions.

it's a drat tragedy. But there's a reason the CIA and state dept put so much effort into the project.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

if you cant take a real stand against genocide what are you even worth lol

They're labor aristocrats, OP

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
CFA bargaining update:

Just got back from a cal state LA CFA meeting. Literally no one was in favor of the TA, and colleagues with friends at Long Beach and CSU-SF also were almost uniformly against it.

The TA looks like it may not pass unless something big happens

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

CFA bargaining update:

Just got back from a cal state LA CFA meeting. Literally no one was in favor of the TA, and colleagues with friends at Long Beach and CSU-SF also were almost uniformly against it.

The TA looks like it may not pass unless something big happens

good poo poo. sucks that they ended the strike. time to go back out

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Do union endorsements in national elections matter at all in 2024? I'm a UAW member, and I'd be surprised if less than 40% of my workplace voted republican.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

Do union endorsements in national elections matter at all in 2024? I'm a UAW member, and I'd be surprised if less than 40% of my workplace voted republican.

depends on whether it comes with $ from their PAC and sending out union members to knock doors.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think fain is cool, wish him success in leading the working man against the tyranny of the american state

He apparently just recently said they're talking to all the other unions and looking at an honest to god general strike in the next few years for pensions, which is pretty bold these days.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
AFSCME is bringing pins for us to wear these days. Something's happening this year.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Blind Pineapple posted:

Looking away from national elections, many unions can have big local impact. I'm in AFSCME, and for us, we're electing our bosses, or people who make decisions on if we are to outsource certain types of jobs, or keep them 'in house' to government workers. AFSCME has AFSCME People, which is the separate political wing, so normal dues don't go to it. The last few months we've targeted County elections, as we had of 37 offices coming up, 10 people not rerunning. That let us find members who lived in the districts, and ask them to run. We have members who also volunteer to run campaigns with door knocking, press packets about their achievements, etc.

We also give out a questionnaire to candidates, and if they'd like endorsement, we get them on a zoom call with a coalition of all the different unions in an umbrella union group (South Central Federation of Labor). They get grilled for 15 minutes and we vote on giving them money - normally not a huge amount ($400) but we also then will in targeted elections door knock everyone who is in their district flagged as Union members. (I did A LOT of door knocking for the Wisconsin spring elections last year!). School boards are also really important - teachers unions in our state are at risk due to Act 10's union busting (loving Scott Walker). County board sounds unimportant, until you think of their ability to say that private (donor owned) cleaning companies should clean sports facilities, or how it would be 'more efficient' to just pay snow removal contractors rather than have union Plow drivers who may earn overtime pay doing that, when they're not doing other county work.

I frankly really enjoy doing the politics stuff.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
influencing local politics often makes bigger impacts than influencing national politics, is my understanding.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am in a weird situation. So like my company was wholly owned by a crown corporation and with a powerful union. We aren't union ourself but like the union considered us as and fought for us to get the same pay/bennies/etc. Which is cool as hell.

We just got sold to one of the big 4 accounting firms and like they ain't union AFAICT. Like knowing my boss/the management and the fact the industry is pretty union unfriendly both management and worker wise, I feel like I get hosed if I just try to start one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the starting stages of a union drive will definitely require secrecy and very careful knowledge sharing before you can build enough of a buy in to go public and feel secure in the strength of numbers, but they can (and have) been formed under extremely hostile and surveilled circumstances.

Is there anyone you've worked w/ for a long time who has no interest in angling for a promotion to mgmt who you could to speak to first?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question - do any of your locals have a basic newsletter (emailed) that is done regularly?
Turns out, we have a requirement in our by-laws to have one, and we haven't. Would love to see what other people do, if anything, for something that would be a monthly (hopefully) but possibly quarterly newsletter.

If you do, would love to see what people have in there - we were hoping to have a basic recap of the minutes, events, negotiation focuses, and calls to see if we can get people more involved by having stuff about how to talk to potential members. There has been enough turn over, and dropping of the ball that frankly no one who worked on any past ones are still active.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Arkhamina posted:

Question - do any of your locals have a basic newsletter (emailed) that is done regularly?
Turns out, we have a requirement in our by-laws to have one, and we haven't. Would love to see what other people do, if anything, for something that would be a monthly (hopefully) but possibly quarterly newsletter.

If you do, would love to see what people have in there - we were hoping to have a basic recap of the minutes, events, negotiation focuses, and calls to see if we can get people more involved by having stuff about how to talk to potential members. There has been enough turn over, and dropping of the ball that frankly no one who worked on any past ones are still active.

CWA 7250 has a good one: https://www.cwa7250.org/index.php/news

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks.
Of COURSE the Communications Workers communicate well :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Arkhamina posted:

Awesome, thanks.
Of COURSE the Communications Workers communicate well :)

that local specifically has a really cool president who’s a former street fighting antifa dude from the Minneapolis hardcore scene

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
A wee bit jealous. I can't be super surprised, because AFSCME is a gov'ment workers union, but we don't really have anyone who is high energy and militant. (I am from Minneapolis too, originally, likely know people who know your guy, back from my days at hanging out at Hard Times Cafe).

Plus, under Act 10, honestly a lot of people just believe you can't have a union. We call ourselves a small u, union - but we have handbooks that equate to contracts, meeting and confer' process that's bargaining, and association rights. I am putting SO MUCH hope on a Wisconsin Supreme court reassessment of Act 10's restrictions, but in reality, we just are not great at getting new members, or contacting the ones we have.

I'm bashing my head against a mailing list, and have been for a while, and the final numbers I have today is like... 64% of the membership is on the mailing list. No one has touched it in years. gently caress, I got hired in 2019 and I'm not on there. The guy who has the role who does this is not up for election for another year. I'm just going to keep on doing the job until it's up, but frustrates me that he's not done poo poo, as nice of a person as he is. If his IT skills are not up to it, he could have perhaps reached out to SOMEONE, but when we started trying to use the contact list to get out the vote for the State Supreme Court Race last spring, I realized how terrible it was. No one had checked in to see if he was doing anything.... no ex members removed, no new members added, no news letter for damned sure.

Sigh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you have to exempt Police and Fire from the restrictions it’s unconstitutional, imo.

What a loving skeezy bullshit bill.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Animal-Mother posted:

AFSCME is bringing pins for us to wear these days. Something's happening this year.

there's organizing around various ceasefire resolutions to be introduced at international convention. hoping for more shows of support than the last "no cops in AFSCME" group got

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Animal-Mother posted:

drat maybe its time i started going to AFSCME meetings

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Animal-Mother posted:

i havent got any

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
well i'm convinced. https://www.al.com/opinion/2024/01/guest-opinion-the-united-auto-workers-labor-union-must-not-do-to-alabama-what-it-did-to-detroit.html

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

no relation

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I think it’s only fair if I poo poo and piss all over her as well, as an adequate response.

signed,
a Detroiter

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ooh, I hope this spreads:

https://x.com/achristovichh/status/1754624940374901198?s=20

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

came here to post this, it rules. hoping something similar happens here in Seattle with UW teams; they’re some of the last non-union folks on the campus doing anything

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
W for News Guild: https://variety.com/2024/digital/news/ign-votes-unionize-newsguild-1235895671/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
cmon cmon cmonnnnnnn https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-06/uaw-signs-up-majority-of-workers-at-vw-plant-after-detroit-wins

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i fuckin hate management-side labor attorneys

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/IndexMediaUnion/status/1757118196224782714

i had fun drafting seattle dsa labor working group's statement about it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008