Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you to all the posters in this thread who have provided advice or resources, I read No Shortcuts on the OP's rec and after a month or two of scattered convos and doing my own research on local organizing resources I was able to tip my workplace into taking organization and unionization seriously. Had our first real meeting last night and the support from coworkers has already exceeded my expectations, I don't know where this will wind up but probably wouldn't have happened without the guiding hand of everyone here. Thank you all so much!

The greatest moment during our discussions was finding out that at least 3 other workplaces we're involved with (most of us worked multiple part time jobs before corona and were faced with immediate job loss in March, im in NYC for context) are having these same conversations, it was pretty incredible to hear about. Class consciousness ftw. I can share more details in the future as we progress, and I'll probably have questions of my own here, but I just wanted to bump the thread and encourage more people out there to take the same leap!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

updating my situation, our workplace is starting to sign cards and we have enough people indicating they'd vote yes that our unionization is likely to pass when a vote gets scheduled. this is very exciting stuff, it feels a little unreal that just months ago this was idle chatter among friends!! i can't wait to start the bargaining process and get some real protections in place...thanks again to this thread for being a great resource, and I'll keep posting once our vote is done to share the good news.

keep on fighting everybody!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that is amazing news. I'm sure amazon is going to go nuclear on their anti union campaign between now and the end of March, but I believe in the workers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nyc food market in the Bronx that handles about 60% of the produce supply for the city is on strike bc management refused to raise wages by even a dollar (counter-offered 30 something cents lol). if you're in the area check in with the teamsters union or DSA or whatever local organizers that are joining the effort, there's lot of ways to offer support and solidarity! here's the JC16 Twitter acct if you want to get caught up on their activity

https://twitter.com/TeamstersJC16/status/1352679224595910656

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

over 90% of my workplace has signed cards :) barring some kind of legal pushback or union busting tactic (very unlikely but we've at least prepared for it) I think weve got ourselves a unionized labor force. this thread kicks rear end!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's a smaller place with ppl who were starting to have these convos before the pandemic, so I knew at least the majority would be on board, but I've been overwhelmed by the near unanimous support (and also learned way more about problems ppl are having that need to be addressed, which also influenced a lot of people into getting involved)z

lot and lots of work ahead of us but it feels amazing to reach this milestone. for anyone thinking "maybe we could do it too"...read No Shortcuts and give it a shot. you might just be another success story!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

don’t let your guard down. once you call for an election they will do the most rancid poo poo imaginable to either block it or try to destroy your majority

ill never trust a manager further than I can throw them, if they try to break us up, we'll be ready to fight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we just unanimously ratified the first contract for workers at the Guggenheim; the workers who run and take care of the building, build, install, and light exhibitions, and take care of the collection are unionized. average 10% raises, bonuses, union healthcare, no more favoritism in work schedules, on and on... and all in a pandemic and economic catastrophe

satisfying to see the guy who was management's election witness vote 'yes.' he deserves this as much as anyone else.

unionize or die

awesome work. so happy you all were able to make that happen under the direst of circumstances

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I'm not a worker at the memory care facility striking; just a community member helping out. They're striking for more staffing and better pay.

1st day I was there was great, loads of people and high energy while I was there. 2nd day I was there was good but we got drenched by delightful oregon winter weather. Just yesterday they held a candlelight vigil for the folks that had died there and shared stories. They're extending the strike and morale is high!

good poo poo lending support. hope they get everything they're fighting for and then some.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that's awesome, congratulations!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i hate the bosses

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

yeah that article only mentions in passing that part of the union busting message was a threat from management that unionizing "could result in a reduction of benefits" which I read as "if you vote yes we're going to take away your healthcare and lay people off"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

as someone who tried to unionize a campaign this is a huge HOLY poo poo for me:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mayoralesunion/status/1398037672019496966

its super gross, hope the staffers all the best with the strike they started. especially frustrated as a voter bc morales was the only person at least talking in vaguely leftist terms, not there's basically no one to even care about which sucks, but hey, same as it ever was.

at least counterbalancing that is that my workplace union vote finally has a date set after many months of delays, both pandemic and management related. probably the first ballot in my life i look forward to actually filling in lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

Teamsters local, doing forklift work in tough environment. Management has been dicking around the negotiating team for like more than half a year. Total garbage and a pittance of raise waging plus bad faith bargaining, including removing or vastly increasing medical insurance costs.

The company lawyer told our union rep that they didn't think we'd get the votes for a strike.

We had our vote for strike authorization for unfair labor practices yesterday.

Number of people who voted no?

Get hosed.

Hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

Not sure as of yet, just happened. Also I'm a little leery of posting too much detail yet. With our instructions not to talk specifics with people except we are on a ULP strike, idk. I'd rather be cautious at the moment.

Thanks for the support though! I'll probably toss some pms when this gets more traction.

I was of course thinking the federal mediator could be bad but if they won't even meet with them it shows real bad faith on the company's part.

management will drag their feet until the sun explodes, theyre absolute babies about negotiating deadlines bc they know there's nothing actually stopping them until workers get pissed off to make them, which, gently caress yeah get on that strike line and never back down

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

we won our vote today :) onward to the contract

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I think the best way to encourage co-workers to unionize is to get promoted to their boss and actively make their jobs worse.

I think it's to be friends with them and then help both of your lives improve through collective action,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

many sides

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its fake news he's a youtube comedian. but he's right. edit beaten

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sick

sick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

group interviews are abysmal. who's idea were they and who finds them useful in the hiring process.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it feels like another kinda weak result similar to fritolay. 60c a year isn't much, and they caved on management forcing 12 hour weekend shifts with no OT. but who am i, I'm not in those factories so maybe it's a big win relative to the old conditions. and making them pay out 5k to everyone is pretty cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

good luck all. is there a good write up as to what the scope of this would be (what locals it covers, how many workers and workplaces affected etc.) if the strike authorization passes?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's gonna be powerful poo poo, solidarity to anyone on the strike line next week.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1445090649624268801?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1448299018866528262?s=20

keeping an eye out for solidarity actions in my area, gl to everyone on the strike line

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol I hope they unionize

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seems like more sell out trash from trade union leadership. hope the rank and file reject it since these half measures don't cut it anymore. there were similar problems at the nabisco strike, for example, but entertainment industry workers have way more of a public profile to seize and I hope they choose to walk off for a better contract.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

can't believe they're pitching a 3% raise next year as "Living Wage Achieved".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zisky posted:

At first blush the turnaround issues seem to be resolved positively but yeah there's not much else to be happy about.

We'll see what the membership has to say about it, I know anecdotally reactions have already been mixed.

curious how the vote turns out. this has to be settled in the next 24 hours right? the midnight Sunday deadline still holds?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zisky posted:

The ia_stories IG disabled comments on the announcement, lmao.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

any deets on the agreement

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1453346843925041155?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there’s absolutely a concerted effort by capital to defy labor even when it makes no economic sense to do so, because they’re afraid of ceding any power at all.

the upside is that because capitalists are all rugged individualist John Galts, it seems likely that some of them will mash the Betray button and cut a deal with labor to screw their competitors. AGCO should be out there signing as many contracts with farmers as they can right now. eat John Deere’s lunch.

it happens even at small business places, time and time again petty management types will spend more on lawyers and union busting campaigns than they would ultimately have paid if they just accepted wage demands up front. seems like everyone in these positions have just been trained to disregard any opinion but their own on how a workplace should be run, even if it is economically irrational. it's wild to see play out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/NYTWA/status/1455988973411737604?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1460326163340054541?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the breakdown

Basic Agreement
256 yes delegates, 188 no delegates
popular vote 49.6% yes 50.4% no

Area Standards Agreement
103 yes delegates, 94 no delegates
popular vote 52% yes 48% no

voter turnout 72%

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it FEELS like a lot of striking workers have been settling early, to me

i mean it's hard going without pay, of course. tough all around

umwa has been on strike for like 9 months now, can't imagine what that has been like for the workers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

it’s going to require some long-term planning where unions build up robust strike funds, which in the short term means higher dues. tough to justify a strike fund when people don’t have a ~lived experience~ of striking benefiting them.

the teamsters election seems like a real positive step in this direction, openly planning how to defeat two tier a year+ from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that sucks, sorry to hear that. do unions have a union in their workplace.